#5 (plus #6 & #7) - "Well....the weather outside is frightful...but the man is so delightful..."

Ansamcw

Can you explain the lyrics to these open arms - there seem to be two different songs going on in the lyrics to me, I can't get them to connect in my mind.

Well, I can try! At least how I interpret them, which may not be how someone else interprets them....

I think its sung to someone who has lost their way.

What if everything you ever took for granted, was gone?

And everything you ever thought was right, was wrong?

And what if everyone you ever loved was torn, from the pages of your life?

Would you reach out for tomorrow, or try to turn back time?

These open arms will wait for you

These open arms can pull us through

Between what's left and left to do

These open arms

These open arms

The first verse to me is saying if you lost everything what would you do? Wallow in the past or pick up the pieces and move forward. "These open arms" could be a spiritual metaphor, perhaps meaning God and how God's arms are always open to help you and guide you even when things look dark and dismal. I prefer to think of "these open arms" as a metaphor for hope and strength from the spirit within. The "between what's left and left to do" refers to not having lost everything, that you still have something and there is still something for you in the future - providing a reason to go on and a direction in which to go. The something left could be God's love, or love and respect of self even when you feel as if you have lost everything.

Did you really love the ones you said you loved, think twice.

And did you make a bit of difference in somebody elses life?

Tell me, is there someone you can count on when you need a friend?

Can you say I need a friend?

I think this verse is asking the person who lost their way if they know what is really important in life - love, real love, sincere love; making a difference, having a positive effect on someone's life; friends, having true friends who are there for you and who you are there for in return. And maybe most importantly, can you ask for help. Can you admit your vulnerability and ask for help, say you need someone, or something, to help you through. Sometimes this is the hardest thing for a person to do.

Surrendering high

Give in, stop questioning why

Open your heart up to love & you'll see you will find

This part I think is saying let down your guard and just accept that there is hope, that there is love, that there are sometimes things you just have to accept on faith, that there is something for you to put your faith in - whatever that faith is (and to me not necessarily religious faith). And by opening yourself up to that you will find the strength and find your way.

These open arms can pull us through

Between what's left and left to do

These open arms

These open arms

These open arms

These open arms

I really think in many ways this is ATDW's MOAM. It is a song that could easily have a very spiritual meaning, but also is about life's lessons.

On an interesting note, in the Bon Jovi version, the bridge was different, Instead of "Surrendering high" etc, (which I always thought was "surrender your heart" but that doesn't really rhyme...), his version says:

Can you live in your skin, walk in your own shoes?

You can't win, if you don't know how to lose

Crawl, fall, Jonny gotta learn to fly

If Clay changed that one part, I think he saw this song to be very spiritual.

I happen to not only love it musically, but I love the lyrics. I am a big lyrics person and I was immediately drawn to the lyrics. I love what I believe the lyrics to mean and I think most of us at one time or another feel that sense of being lost, of hopelessness, of being alone. To me this song is a reminder that you are not alone.

Ya'll need to seriously break up that list with about 4 uptempo songs. My brain is toast right now though. I wonder how Clay would sound singing George Michael's Faith...oh wait..heee would he sing that?

Pfffffffft I like it just fine the way it is. *blows raspberry* Although I do agree with the suggestion to add in These Open Arms. Love that song.

Edited by luckiest1

Hell, couchie ...if he'll sing "Faith", he could sing "Father Figure"...heh. :hubbahubba: You feeling better?

Oh, I guess a lot of people are in the Idol thread...but I don't want to read people's reactions to the singers until I hear them myself. I get influenced.

Last night was horrible. No one really sounded all that great, although I guess Chris Sligh and Blake can stay. But I just don't get the love fest for the other Chris (aka Justin Timberlake wannabe)...I think his voice is really, really weak...

Sigh....need to finish my chapter, try to finish before Idol's on here for us West Coast girls... :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Well...maybe I'll fill my wine glass just one more time, first... :medium-smiley-070:

Ya'll need to seriously break up that list with about 4 uptempo songs. My brain is toast right now though. I wonder how Clay would sound singing George Michael's Faith...oh wait..heee would he sing that?

That's easy! We'll just throw in 4 of the rockin' uptempo brilliant songs from the "Lost Album" Clive shelved when he MANDATED Clay sing covers. We can let Clay pick which ones since we have never heard any of them.

That's easy! We'll just throw in 4 of the rockin' uptempo brilliant songs from the "Lost Album" Clive shelved when he MANDATED Clay sing covers. We can let Clay pick which ones since we have never heard any of them.

LOL..works for me..every third song will just be rockin' song from lost album - TBD heee

But seriously I could stand to hear Tears Run Dry a million more times. I do think that's my favorite Clay song evah!!

Muski, almost back to normal..only thing left is the nighttime hacking cough fits..heee .. did you get an evite the Bay Area party? YSRN, Roseviolet..same question for you.

1. Here You Come Again

2. Right Here Waiting

3. Lonely No More

4. Because You Loved Me

5. Everything I Do (I Do It For You)

6. Why Don't We Do It In the Road?

7. Everytime You Go Away

8. Run to Me

9. Broken Wings

10. A Thousand Days

11. Alone

12. I Will Carry You (the Oprah arrangement, with added strings)

13. When You Say You Love Me

14. To Love Somebody

15. When A Man Loves A Woman

16. TOUCH

17. I Know How the River Feels

18. Lover All Alone

19. These Open Arms

20. Ya Gotta Have Faith

21. Tears Run Dry

Encore

22. If You Don't Know Me By Now

23. Invisible

24. Back for More

Man, I love this set list! :hubbahubba: although I'm not sure I can even visualize #6! :medium-smiley-070:

Me too! Anyone want to move things around? I do. Add more? Maybe. Shall we have a poll? It's fun to think about it.

Wonder what he'll banter about, and when in the program. What kind of audience participation will he think up for this?

ETA: The thing is, I expect him to have a theme to the program--some sort of narrative or theme which would determine song choices and the the order they are presented, as would Couchie's variations in tempo. So I'm not sure...... The Christmas show was 19 songs--lots of banter. The theme of that show was a no brainer. What will this one be?

Edited by jmh123

Well, couchie my dear. I DID get an invitation, but I don't think I'm gonna make it. If I go I'd be missing both girls' games that day--Carrie's softball and Alex's soccer. Just can't justify that. Especially since I'll be missing some games a couple of weeks later when I'm in Albuquerque on business.

I'd love to hear a few of those mystery songs with the one-word titles that were floating around on various songwriter's webpages---"Compromise" is the only one I can think of now, but you know what I mean.

Well, couchie my dear. I DID get an invitation, but I don't think I'm gonna make it. If I go I'd be missing both girls' games that day--Carrie's softball and Alex's soccer. Just can't justify that. Especially since I'll be missing some games a couple of weeks later when I'm in Albuquerque on business.

I'd love to hear a few of those mystery songs with the one-word titles that were floating around on various songwriter's webpages---"Compromise" is the only one I can think of now, but you know what I mean.

Try, Dream, and Compromise. All co-written by Matt Bronlewee, a CCM writer and producer who was at the Nashville conference. Compromise was planned for the album til the last minute. An earlier track list also had a song called "Mysterious."

I think we should start with something upbeat.. Lover All Alone should end the first half... oh wait, if we must have Invisible one more tour it should end the first half...I think he's had it in almost every other place. heee my input for the night...ok we need real uptemp covers since we need real songs although TBD from Clay's lost album is fun to laugh about.. ok so think uptempo and green eyed soul. Thinking cap on.

Faith Lyrics

Well I guess it would be nice

If I could touch your body

I know not everybody

Has got a body like you

But I've got to think twice

Before I give my heart away

And I know all the games you play

Because I play them too

Oh but I

Need some time off from that emotion

Time to pick my heart up off the floor

And when that love comes down

Without devotion

Well it takes a strong man baby

But I'm showing you the door

'Cause I gotta have faith...

Mmm, I gotta have faith

'Cause I gotta have faith, faith,

Mm 'cause I gotta have faith-a-faith-a-faith

Baby

I know you're asking me to stay

Sayin' please, please, please, don't go away

You say I'm giving you the blues

Maybe

You mean every word you say

Can't help but think of yesterday

And another who tied me down to loverboy rules

Before this river

Becomes an ocean

Before you throw my heart back on the floor

Oh baby I reconsider

My foolish notion

Well I need someone to hold me

But I'll wait for something more

Yes I've gotta have faith...

Mmm, I gotta have faith

'Cause I gotta have faith, faith, faith,

Mm 'cause I gotta have faith-a-faith-a-faith

(return to top)

Ok would Clay sing that and how would he re-write that first verse..heee.

OK I will carry you - the oprah arrangement with added strings.>CRACKED MY SHIT UP....

Of course we don't have our CCM song... We could go back to All About Love and kill two birds with one stone. :rainbowsmile:

Oooh I hope we get stump the band again. I really loved that at the JBT. But the thing is, I wouldn't be surprised if Clay came up with something equally fun to do this tour.

I know not everybody

Has got a body like you

Well, I guess it would be nice

If I could shake your hand

You know not everybody

Can shake it like I can...

?

No?

Back to the drawing board.

I'm guessin' we want this concert to be at least as long as the JBT...

Yeah, and that Oprah version of IWCY, do we want it complete with the lyrics mess up? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Honestly, I'll take him singing anything he wants, anyway he wants and it's fun to read everyone's set list. I was surprised that " I Survived You" wasn't on our list. I've seen that one bandied about elsewhere.

Muski, almost back to normal..only thing left is the nighttime hacking cough fits..heee .. did you get an evite the Bay Area party? YSRN, Roseviolet..same question for you.

I think we have the same illness. Sucked, didn't it?

Nope, I didn't see any evite... just the PM from you the other day. I'm still good for it though.

I expect him to have a theme to the program--some sort of narrative or theme which would determine song choices and the the order they are presented, as would Couchie's variations in tempo. So I'm not sure...... The Christmas show was 19 songs--lots of banter. The theme of that show was a no brainer. What will this one be?

That's an interesting idea. I really hadn't thought about a theme (unless its JBT2 ;) ). I am envisioning a show that is similar to the JNaT, just very laid back with lots of funny banter, snarking on the audience, etc, in between songs. But that is probably more because I have no imagination.....which is why Clay hasn't called me to be his tour manager yet. :lol:

Try, Dream, and Compromise. All co-written by Matt Bronlewee, a CCM writer and producer who was at the Nashville conference. Compromise was planned for the album til the last minute. An earlier track list also had a song called "Mysterious."

It would be cool to hear these songs eventually, but I'm just not expecting them on this tour.

Oooh I hope we get stump the band again. I really loved that at the JBT. But the thing is, I wouldn't be surprised if Clay came up with something equally fun to do this tour.

Hee, stump the orchestra? I am sure he'll have some sort of cool thing each night that makes each concert unique. Can't wait to find out what it is!

Honestly, I'll take him singing anything he wants, anyway he wants and it's fun to read everyone's set list. I was surprised that " I Survived You" wasn't on our list. I've seen that one bandied about elsewhere.

Yep, I'll take him singing anything he wants, too. The only reason I didn't include ISY on my set list was because there are so many people across the boards who will probably take it as a sign if he does sing it. There has been a lot of talk about how he could really "feel" it now....and while I always thought he did really "feel" it, I think most of them mean something to do with Clive/RCA. :pod:

That would be great, but based on how the Christmas Tour went, there may be time constraints and union rules on how long the orchestra members can perform. I wonder, though, if the show will be in halves - the orchestra being featured in one section and Clay's band in the other. That would allow them to have more flexibility in how the songs get presented.

=================================

I had a Rate The Music special project yesterday - three 70s cover songs by an unidentified male. The songs were so tepid and white bread, they made Clay sound like Metallica or something. Turns out it was Donny Osmond. Yikes.... ATDW could have been way worse...

Yep, I'll take him singing anything he wants, too. The only reason I didn't include ISY on my set list was because there are so many people across the boards who will probably take it as a sign if he does sing it. There has been a lot of talk about how he could really "feel" it now....and while I always thought he did really "feel" it, I think most of them mean something to do with Clive/RCA. :pod:

Yeah but if he did sing it to me he would be saying he survived the crazy ass fans..and a few other crazy ass people that have nothing to do with record lables.

Oh god the JBT was a three hour bit of heaven.

Yeah, Couchie, when I've heard reference to ISY on other boards, most of the comments have been about surviving the crazy ass "hatahs"

Speaking of crazy ass fans, I can't remember which tour it was, but there were a few fans that calculated every minute he was singing, and complained because it was a few minutes less than the previous tour, and of course it was because he had given singing time to Quianna, Angela and Jacob and they were only paying their money to see him. I just hope he didn't get any ideas from Kelly's short ass set when he went to see her..........nah he wouldn't do that.

Me too! Anyone want to move things around? I do. Add more? Maybe. Shall we have a poll? It's fun to think about it.

Yes, I'd move things around, at least. I still believe that RHW will be the opening song (see: David Foster gala). And while I really like the idea of BYLM as the encore, I can actually see that being the "final" song (before the encore). BTW, I'd add that song....as well as EIH (because I really want to hear him sing this live) and WISYS (that song has really grown on me, with repeated listenings). I'm also thinking that IWKWLI would be the song that he'd feature Angela on.

As for what I think the encore will be....if I go with past history of Clay Aiken, I honestly think WY will be that song. He tends to like ending shows with some, for lack of a better term, bombast. Solitaire and AIW fit into that mold, IMO. OK, so Good News doesn't. *shrug*

Almost forgot -- yeah, there will be an upbeat song or two there. That may be where he throws in the CCM stuff. I just don't any songs in that genre at the moment. Maybe I should check the top 20 CCM songs and take a listen to see if anything would work.

Wonder what he'll banter about, and when in the program. What kind of audience participation will he think up for this?

Those are good questions, but I'm kinda like luckiest1 in that I have no imagination for that sort of thing. I'm very willing to have Clay surprise me with this.

Faith Lyrics

I know not everybody

Has got a body like you

Ok would Clay sing that and how would he re-write that first verse..heee.

Well, shoot -- that first verse combines Touch with Here You Come Again ("looking better than a body has a right to"). I'd say he'd leave it just as it was -- and we'd all die. But yeah, I'd love to hear him do this song -- I think he'd be outstanding.

I know not everybody

Has got a body like you

Well, I guess it would be nice

If I could shake your hand

You know not everybody

Can shake it like I can...

?

No?

Back to the drawing board.

BWAH!

Yeah, and that Oprah version of IWCY, do we want it complete with the lyrics mess up? Sorry, couldn't resist.

BWAH again!

Hee, stump the orchestra?

This is "funny day" at the CH. I think this idea is hysterical!

Can I marry you for this paragraph? IMO, Clay's ALWAYS given good ISY -- that Dayton performance is still burned into my brain.

That would be great, but based on how the Christmas Tour went, there may be time constraints and union rules on how long the orchestra members can perform. I wonder, though, if the show will be in halves - the orchestra being featured in one section and Clay's band in the other. That would allow them to have more flexibility in how the songs get presented.

Has one of the announcements said that the orchestra was a local one or not? Because if he has his own "touring" orchestra, the union thing might be moot. As far as the halves go, it might work, but I think the orchestra will be around for the entire show. JMO.

I had a Rate The Music special project yesterday - three 70s cover songs by an unidentified male. The songs were so tepid and white bread, they made Clay sound like Metallica or something. Turns out it was Donny Osmond. Yikes.... ATDW could have been way worse...

THAT'S WHO THAT WAS? I had that survey too. Blech. It really was pretty bad. He needs to stick to "Soldier of Love," or rapping with Weird Al. *g*

Yeah but if he did sing it to me he would be saying he survived the crazy ass fans..and a few other crazy ass people that have nothing to do with record lables.

Hee. I had that thought too.

HA! No one is taking my bitter, bitter overacted ISY from me!

We need uptempo? Ok, let's stick Sleigh Ride in there.

And Hooked on Classics for the orchestra!

Uptempo? How about I Want To Break Free by Queen? *shit, where did that little green pod person emoticon go?* :medium-smiley-070:

George Michael? I vote for One More Try. But if he sang it, I'd be dead on the floor.

As much as it would be cool for the concert to be split into 2 parts (orchestra vs. band) I think that what we'll get is more along the lines of the first JNT concert - an orchestra with some band members and back up singers, and, of course, Clay. For the whole concert. :)

I still believe that RHW will be the opening song (see: David Foster gala).

::bows down::

Edited by luckiest1

Has one of the announcements said that the orchestra was a local one or not? Because if he has his own "touring" orchestra, the union thing might be moot. As far as the halves go, it might work, but I think the orchestra will be around for the entire show. JMO.

I'm pretty sure it will be the local orchestras like the Christmas show. The San Diego show is on the Symphony's website, along with the other Summer Pops concerts. When one of the CHer's talked to the venue dude, he told her it would be the orchestra, plus the main members of Clay's band - whoever that's supposed to mean.

I wonder, though, if the show will be in halves - the orchestra being featured in one section and Clay's band in the other. That would allow them to have more flexibility in how the songs get presented.

This was my thought originally...could be cool...with some of the orchestra getting overtime and sticking around!

Later! Gotta take Mom to another eye doctor appt....oy.

Thanks for the info bottlecap. I couldn't remember what I'd heard any more (and my source for it *g*). Yes, union rules for symphonies may be in effect then.

Uptempo? How about I Want To Break Free by Queen? *shit, where did that little green pod person emoticon go?* :medium-smiley-070:

Hee. I was thinking that maybe the symphony will get a smoke break while Clay sings a doo-wop song (uptempo of course) that would be all about his contract with RCA -- "Working on the Chain Gang."

:medium-smiley-070: