#5 (plus #6 & #7) - "Well....the weather outside is frightful...but the man is so delightful..."

Ansamcw

This appeared on my Clay Google alert..I'm posting just the Clay part, but also the link to the whole article for those interested in reading this person's summary of all the seasons...

I also witnessed what quite possibly was the easiest Idol prediction in history. It was plainly obvious during the first week of the Top 12 that in the end, two men would emerge as the winner and the runner-up... only I didn't quite know which person would fill which role.

One was a large, soft-spoken young man with a silky voice similar to Luther Vandross. The other was a gangly, freckle-faced guy with the most powerful lungs I'd heard since Christina Aguilera. The country was quickly divided into two camps: The Rubenites and the (now infamous) Claymates. When Ruben Studdard defeated Clay Aiken in a very narrow victory on that fateful May evening, the contest between the two didn't end there. Although Studdard was the American Idol, it was Aiken who would eventually emerge as the true victor, in the sense that to this day he remains active in the public eye. Aiken did talk shows, magazine interviews, went on tour, did Christmas specials, and became a UNICEF National ambassador. Meanwhile, the quiet, easygoing Studdard slowly faded from sight.

The Return of American Idol: Season Six Begins

But, but, but....Ruben got a positive comment from Clive, radio play, no questions about his personal life, and magazine covers.... Isn't that supposed to guarantee sales and visibility?

Golly, you're right bottlecap! I knew there was something different about Ruben's media...and sales. :confused-smiley-014:

Thanks for bringing that over muski. Did y'all read the comments attached? I think it an interesting commentary that most of them were from Bo Bice fans, stating that Bo "isn't a failure" and laying on the writer quite heavily for her wording on Bo's career.

And....horror of horrors...did you know that Clive Davis sabotaged his career by not letting him sing his original songs? I think I'd heard about the petition out there to make Bo's next album all originals from the man, but had not seen it. To me, just another confirmation that Clay isn't the only one out there dealing with record labels, and also fans who don't quite know when to quit.

Also, only one comment from a Clay fan. Surprising to me. (Is the writer a Clay fan? She kinda seems like it...)

And Ruben has a song that is successful on the charts and has had for quite a while. Radio play is supposed to guarentee success, just ask Mario Velazquez.

I remember fighting with Pods who thought Ruben got more than CLay and haviung to draw out the TV relationships and , no , he did not. He just got different things than Clay.

I know everyone would smack me for this,but I think it would help both thier albums to have featured together somewhere AND advertise it.

OOoooh, I feel so old today - I not only saw the Bo petition, which people said that Bo encouraged them to sign (never saw that), but I also remember the Justin petition that he was trying to squelch. I remember the justin fans being told to please not write RCA at all or certain DJs in insulting tones because it was interferring with his career. I hoped we learned fromthat, but apparently not everyone was aware of that and seem determined to commit the same errors.

I still need to figure out why people think it is a good thing to be dropped from you label. Mariah survived it, but she was an international star at the time. I don't know - there seems to be a reality check gene missing somewhere. Oh wait, it is the people who feel that Clay needs them to fight for him, and when he politely asks them to but out, spins it so it means other people.

Edited by playbiller

I know everyone would smack me for this,but I think it would help both thier albums to have featured together somewhere AND advertise it.

Not everyone, play....I'm remembering the magic of the AMAs when those two sang Jesus Is Love...they really care about each other and it shows..and their voices are truly beautiful together...very complementary in tone and style...

I've always thought Clay brought out the best in Ruben---he seems more comfortable on stage, more animated and engaged when he's performing with Mr. Showman, you know? And I've always loved Ruben's voice. The times he and CLay had parts together on AI2 are so much fun to watch.

Neither man has anything to 'fear' from the other---their fan bases are, for the most part, disparate, so I agree with you to some extent---seeing them together would promote them both individually.

:allgood:

I would lurve another Clay / Ruben duet. If anyone has a right to be resentful, it's Ruben, who has been pretty much overshadowed by Clay at every tune. That they seemed to have remained good friends says something good to me about the characters of both men.

And honestly, I don't have a big problem with the ongoing AI association. Love it or hate it, the show is huge. Clay has certainly got a bunch of mentions in the press in the run up to the premiere, many of them mentioning him as one of the major success stories from the show. In my mind, Clay is never going to be the indie singer-songwriter dude, so some of the poddies need to just get over it already.

I think the last tally was less than 560K...and he was off the top 50 this week...Very poor performance of an Idol winner debut.
I hadn't really been following him, but this surprises me, a bit. So many had predicted that Taylor had a more passionate fan base than Clay, and he did seem genuinely popular at the time. However, sales probably did suffer because of 1) the late release, 2) the release of two other Season 5 idols before him, and well, 3) off the show, he comes across as a lounge singer more than ever before. Still, it will be interesting to see if he's able to pick things up in the new year.

Play, I really don't even think a lot of it is about Clay. I think many people who latch on to other idols, which is their right and you can love more than one (cuz I love Fanny, Jennifer and K-Lo)...but once they "fall" for someone else they get defensive when other Clay fans don't like them...

...And what's so funny, most fanbases spend all their time trying to be superior and better than the Clay fans. Yet they do the same stupid ass things, just on a smaller scale.

Great points, Couchie. The competitiveness creates so much animosity. It's always a little sad to watch some of the defections, particularly when its accompanied by vitriol toward Clay. However, interestingly, some find their new idol fandom to be less satisfying down the road. Seems like quite a few of the Bo and Constantine fans came drifting back. Clay on tour is irresistible.

But, but, but....Ruben got a positive comment from Clive, radio play, no questions about his personal life, and magazine covers.... Isn't that supposed to guarantee sales and visibility?

LOL! Of course! Because it's so easy to create hit records if you just plug in the formulas. Playbiller has a good point that Ruben didn't get more than Clay, he just different things than Clay, which makes sense because he is..duh!...a different artist. I've always liked Ruben as a person, and thought that he's been a good friend to Clay. I have my doubts as to whether he really has the personality to get to the next level. However, I think he has a great voice that does compliment Clay's well.

And....horror of horrors...did you know that Clive Davis sabotaged his career by not letting him sing his original songs? I think I'd heard about the petition out there to make Bo's next album all originals from the man, but had not seen it. To me, just another confirmation that Clay isn't the only one out there dealing with record labels, and also fans who don't quite know when to quit.

So true, ldyjocelyn. Isn't it funny how so many of these seem eerily familiar? Just curious. Does anyone know if Taylor's fans are accusing his label of screwing him over in favor of Daughtrey? Seems to me that Chris is pulling a Clay-like sales upset over the winner, and it wouldn't surprise me to see them engaging in the same kind of conspiracy arguments.

Edited by JennaZ

Ruben seems to have more personality this time on his interviews - granted he does nto get the couch time of Clay, but his has his smaller interviews and has shown a lot of humor inthem. I am now buying into the theory that Ruben was ill by the end on AI and exhausted on the trip as he was pushed to do more and more. He also gained like 70 pounds by the end of the show and that has to affect your well being. Since his interviews are so much more amusing this time round and he looks so comfortable, I am thinking he just had burn out at the end of AI and was a lousy interview partially because of that.

I didn't tape hisinterviews on various shows and no one capped them, but he did catch Marth off guard with some jokes and out talk Racel Ray (not easy).

What Ruben got that Clay didn't

1) urban print media - includingthe cover of Jet, et al

2) a single and video pushed before his album release and a special video on his my space

3) Walmart download

4) some special appearances on tributes

What he did not get:

1) couch time on TV shows and any indepth coverage on any show

2) Wal Mart Sound check or EP

3) Kmart Download

4) non-urban media coverage (i.e. People)

5) coverage on entertainment media

6) as many appearances on media and a secondary push

Crap, I had to change my cell phone and this one won't accept the Clay ringtone I had (Everything I Do) In fact, this is such an old phone, the only Clay songs I can download are When You Say You Love Me or Without You.

I too always liked Ruben. I think there voices blend very well together. There are several people who dueted with Clay that I felt like were competing with him instead of trying to blend with him. Ruben and Clay seemed to know how to complement each others voices.

On a slightly different subject. AI. I wonder sometimes why the entertainment media doesn't do a little comparison of early AI to recent or current AI. I think all of the contestants work hard, but if you compare there is quite a bit of disparity. For example

Early AI contestants and finalists were not given much respect or cred and were commonly referred to as karaoke. I know some media still refer to them that way, but not as much as the first 2 seasons.

Season 1 and 2 had more group numbers that they had to prepare for as well

Early contestants did not have the advantage of working with live orchestras or bands early on in the competition

Now that the show is a pop culture phenomenon, there are really top tier artists willing to go on the show and work with or even perform with the contestants

Don't get me wrong, I understand that the popularity of the show has enabled them to upgrade the back up support for the contestants, but you would think that someone would write about how those in earlier seasons really had to work harder to sell their performance than those in subsequent seasons. I think it is remarkable when you consider all that AI has done to "beef up" the more recent seasons, that Ruben and Clay's finale still holds that viewership record.

I too always liked Ruben. I think there voices blend very well together. There are several people who dueted with Clay that I felt like were competing with him instead of trying to blend with him. Ruben and Clay seemed to know how to complement each others voices.

On a slightly different subject. AI. I wonder sometimes why the entertainment media doesn't do a little comparison of early AI to recent or current AI. I think all of the contestants work hard, but if you compare there is quite a bit of disparity. For example

Early AI contestants and finalists were not given much respect or cred and were commonly referred to as karaoke. I know some media still refer to them that way, but not as much as the first 2 seasons.

Season 1 and 2 had more group numbers that they had to prepare for as well

Early contestants did not have the advantage of working with live orchestras or bands early on in the competition

Now that the show is a pop culture phenomenon, there are really top tier artists willing to go on the show and work with or even perform with the contestants

Don't get me wrong, I understand that the popularity of the show has enabled them to upgrade the back up support for the contestants, but you would think that someone would write about how those in earlier seasons really had to work harder to sell their performance than those in subsequent seasons. I think it is remarkable when you consider all that AI has done to "beef up" the more recent seasons, that Ruben and Clay's finale still holds that viewership record.

:lightblub:

All excellent points, atinal and ones I have pondered myself!

Hey, roseviolet at CH just created her own radio station with pop and soul classics, oldies, current and lots of Clay! She's got the link over there. It's great. :allgood:

Hey, roseviolet at CH just created her own radio station with pop and soul classics, oldies, current and lots of Clay! She's got the link over there. It's great

Hee! I'm listening to it now!

And word to the competing voices thing---I never thought he and Kim Locke sounded good together and although he and Cherie were a little better and I like the song "Fool" they did that one concert at Foxwoods, I thought Clay sounded really harsh and loud on it at times, and it didn't blend well to my ears. (The soft, romantic parts were lovely, though.)

I was always keeping my fingers crossed, too, during the Open Arms duet with Kelly during the IT. They both have such strong voices---and both of them were guilty of oversinging sometimes, as if each was worried that the other would overpower him/her!

Of course, now that we know for sure that they fooled around at least ONE night during that tour (per the most recent Clyra chapter... :medium-smiley-070: ), maybe some of that tension made its way on stage with them, ya think? ;) :laught31:

:fca:

I have a blood test tomorrow morning, bright and early....which means I'm done eating for the night. This is NOT good -- I'm used to having a snack of some type (usually a bowl of cereal, or some popcorn) during my nightly viewing of "The Daily Show." Plus....my husband is gone for the night (a musician's night with the guys). So, I'm home alone, with only my computer, and my FCA friends. Help.

I still think that JIL is one Clay's crowning achievements, as well as Ruben's. I'll never forget that glory note...I think I fell off my couch when it hit. And then, I remember watching it again afterwards, timing the note for length. Wasn't it 17 seconds? Ruben's voice added the right touch of lower harmony/riffing to the mix. Their voices blended incredibly well, with Clay's tenor and Ruben's baritone.

I also really liked KLo, but her and Clay did tend to try and overpower each other. Two incredibly strong voices, IMO, that were of a similar register. I think it was the same problem with Clay and Kelly.

I think the other duet that really connected with me was his rendition of Silver Bells with Alison Lawrence from the JNT2005. There was so much affection between the two of them with their voices...so very sweet.

Well, I guess I'll listen to 14 more versions of OCOCE. Need to get the project done....

My favorite Clay duets are with Jacob and Quiana. Angela wasn't bad either. They just got better and better the more time they spent together. I like the Cluben but am not all warm and fuzzy over their duets. I like their interviews together though and will be forever grateful that Ruben was so gracious when Idol ended. They both were.

Great post, atinal! In a way, I think many subsequent idols benefited from what the first two sets of contestants accomplished.

My favorite duet is the "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?" that he did at that Broadway benefit. (The other singer's name escapes me...Heather Headley?) You had to phenomenal voices working beautifully together. I also enjoy his duets with Quiana quite a bit. You certainly get the sense that they really enjoy making music together.

Keeping you in my thoughts, ldyjocelyn.

Oh I love the Heather Headley Duet as well...I just love watching him that night. Clay has had some fabulous opportunities comparable with anything any other idol has gotten their first go round. I think so much happening, it was like a non stop dream. Nothing may ever compare to that first and second year again (which included a year long freakin' tour between IT, NAT and JNT) and some may see Clay as a failure beause of it. But you just can't keep up that pace...careers go up and down. Everybody experiences it.

Love that picture Bottle!!

Duets and voices that blend with Clay's. I loved about 3/4 of the"Fool" duet with Cherie, one of them went off key early on causing the other one to go off, but after that, they got on track and it was good. I loved the song and wish they would have had the chance to perfect it.

I agree that Clay and Quiana and Jacob's voices blended very well together. I loved Fields of Gold and thought Jacob's harmony was just the right touch, I've always been a little sad that we don't have a version of that that is clean without "I love you Clays" in it. I really like Angela too, but I think it's a little more hit or miss with her. I remember her screech at the end of GMA;s "Suspicious Minds" kept that from being an almost perfect version of the song.

I used to sing with a folk singing group, we practiced a lot, there were 4 of us, 2 guys 2 girls, we sang together so much that we each could find our part in a song pretty quickly. We called it "instant harmony" it was our way of patting ourselves on the back when we were trying out a new song. I think Clay with QA&J had gotten to the point of "instant harmony" at least most of the time. I liked watching how they worked on "A Thousand Days" on tour, they had figured out the part where Clay sang the glory note, and QA&J picked up the chorus in the transition. I think that's was what was missing when Clay sang that song on the promo appearances, he could have used that male backup voice in there.

I also loved Heather Headley and Clay on CYFTLT, I think this was a case of a seasoned performer knowing how best to show case her guest without over powering him.

Now that I've put you all to sleep....

Would the instant harmony with each other and with the band be why they could do stump the band? That always seemed like such an amazing thing to do in a concert, almost as if Clay did not want the evenings to end. And to have it after 3 hours of singing makes it even more amazing.

I know, others can love their idols but there is no way you can convince me that a 3 hour concert didn't make them a little jealous. Huge success be damned when you are at the concert it is great to have it go on and on.

I have been thinking how nice if there were a video, but not knowing the plans, I can't say I am losing anything for it, I just kind of miss one. Plus I found a neat emoticon for one skater_icon.gif

Edited by playbiller

bwah Play! That's hysterical....

I loved all of Clay's tours but that three hour JBT was just absolutely perfect. I mean, that man just sang and sang and sang, and chatted and joked it up and it did look like he never wanted to leave the stage. And I totally agree about stump the band..It was inspired. He is just really in his element on the stage and I wonder if having so much input in that area of his career gave him confidence to do the more producer like things. It really is a journey.

I always thought of 2005 as Clay's year of personal journey and growth....his trips for UNICEF...his work with Jaymes on the CD...JBT and it all culminated with his most personal and creative endeavour for the year JNT05.

2006...is still another year of lessons and growth, but this time with the public...he learned to deal with the tabloids, with the media, with the fans. I bet in that year, in a less public manner he has learned to deal with his label.

Best duet... I do think Ruben and Clay's voice totally blend together beautifully. My favorite rendition of God Bles sthe USA was their duet on Today show, I love ANSUN...because their voices just go so well together. My only problem with JIL...I do think the volume of Clay's mike was a bit lower...or he was blending too much with the choir that at times Ruben stood out more. I also love...the girl is mine.

I know lots of people nixed this idea in another board...but I would love to have even a short tour with Ruben and Clay...maybe the next christmas tour where they can sing gospel together...and many fun christmas songs...

I love the Cluben.

Whimper....

123906775-L.jpg

another one...

123834071-L.jpg

I'm dead

123634733-L.jpg

Yep, I totally agree about the JBT. It was the only time so far for me, where I said to myself. "Self, you have got to see that again."

Play, intstant harmony could have been part of it. I think a good grasp of the oldies, plus, they did say that they originally had more than 100 songs on the set list and had to pare it down. So, they might have done a few of them. I think the "stump the band" portion of the show, really showed the flexibility of all of them, band and all. Something else that impressed me on the JBT was Clay's ability to move in and out of the different genre. And I agree with you, I don't think there are many out there Idol or not who could pull it off as seemlessly as he did. Actually, that was something I think he did on Idol better than anyone else, at least of the ones I've seen.

For me, 3 hours of Clay is never a bad thing.

Ansa I would add "What the World Needs Now....The Clay Ruben and Rickey version, it's one of my favorites. I too, love ANSUN

Edited by atinal