#5 (plus #6 & #7) - "Well....the weather outside is frightful...but the man is so delightful..."

Ansamcw

I found a really long interview with Clay on Ch:

Sheknows.com

10 questions with Clay Aiken

In the ever-crowded field of American Idol alumnus there are two that have towered over the rest -- first season winner Kelly Clarkson and second season runner-up Clay Aiken. Between record sales and concert tickets, those two performers shadow over the music industry, courtesy of a little television program, has been immense. Now that a few years have passed since Aiken proved nice guys finish second, he takes a few moments to reflect with SheKnows.

His new CD, "A Thousand Ways" is comprised completely of cover versions of famous love songs. Taking a breath from his whirlwind resurgence on the pop culture landscape, complete with the required Aiken controversies, the singer sits down to answer ten questions about Clive Davis, the media circus surrounding him and if he is the new Christmas crooner for our times.

SheKnows: Considering this is officially your second album, why release a CD with songs made famous by others?

Clay Aiken: It wasn't our intention to do it this way. But we started noticing that so many of the greatest songs we were finding were cover songs. Clive made the suggestion and thought it would be a great idea to remake the greatest love songs of all time. When Clive Davis has an idea you have to assume its going to be great. So we listened to him and gave it a shot.

SK: Being an appreciator of popular music, was it a difficult process to go through and choose the handful that appears on the record?

CA: We really made it a collaborative effort. Clive chose songs, I chose songs, and Jaymes (executive producer Jaymes Foster) chose songs. We really found that we had a great deal of matches on all three lists. Not only did we want to pick songs that were excellent copyrights and stellar songs, we also made sure that each song really matched me vocally and stylistically. I mean, "I'm Too Sexy" was a big hit, but seriously—me singing it wouldn't really fit!

SK: In the last year the focus, in terms of the public eye, for Clay Aiken seemed to be about his hair, his latest suit, the floored American Idol fan, (and recently—Kelly Ripa), how thrilled are you to have the Clay Aiken focus on your music again?

CA: (Laughs) I think that part of the focus on "Clay Aiken" is always going to be on how weird he looks! Part of the phenomenon is that this skinny, dorky looking white kid could be transformed into something moderately presentable! (Laughs) I hope that people have always been able to look past the exterior and hear me sing. Or, at least, be able to say "He may look weird, but he can sing well!"

SK: Larry King made you laugh the other night after playing a clip of "Bridge Over Troubled Water," and called it 'the second place song.' Your success seems to have given a shot of confidence to anyone who finishes in American Idol's Top 10 ever since. Do you take pride in that?

CA: I remember being back on Idol when we were in the top 144. We all thought that when we made the top 32 we were set. We would never have to work another day in our lives. Then when we were in the top 32 we thought our lives would be over if we didn't make it to the top 12. Then we thought the only way to make it would be to be in the top two. But the truth of the matter is that Idol is a stepping stone no matter where you make it. There are individuals who have made it all the way to the top three who have done nothing with themselves as far as a career in the entertainment industry goes. Then you look at those from our season. First, second, third and fourth place finishers all had the drive and took the initiative and worked hard to get record careers. Kim Caldwell came in sixth and has a successful place on television as a host. Our 12th place finisher, Vanessa Olivarez, went on to have lead roles in major national stage productions. Matthew Metzger got cut in the top 32 and he had a major role on One Life to Live. A guy named Josh Strickland got cut on the first day of the top 144, yet he worked hard, and he has the lead role in "Tarzan" on Broadway now. So, I don't necessarily think that I am the example of how you can make it, even if you don't win. I came close enough to the top to have a lot of stuff come to me by way of the show. There are lots of others who worked hard and whose talent really got them to great places without even needing to be in the top three.

SK: What was it like to come out of that show where you were all grouped together for months and months, working incredible hours and then at the end of the tour, suddenly, you're on your own? Was that difficult for you or were you excited to explore your own spotlight?

CA: I think one of the neatest things about Idol is its ability to prepare people for the entertainment world. Everything from dealing with criticism to how to perform in from of a camera, it's really a boot camp.

SK: Why the title "A Thousand Different Ways?"

CA: I think there are many ways that the album title is appropriate. For one (and most simply), the songs are covers. So, presumably, each song could be sung 1000 different ways or more. But more deeply -- there are thousands of different ways to tell someone you love them. You can show it. You can say it. You can sing it. And there are thousands of different kinds of love. So, instead of having a title track, the song "A Thousand Days" really just served as an inspirational 'jumping off point' and helped us find our album title.

SK: The idea this record is brilliant, popular music is littered with incredible vocal songs made famous by singers who didn't quite squeeze everything out of the song. Have you spoken with any of the songwriters before crafting your own versions?

CA: I have had the privilege of hearing from Diane Warren and Richard Page. Both wrote songs we recorded. There were quite complimentary.

SK: I see you credit Clive Davis for the concept for the album. You've worked with him since 'Idol,' but even without that connection, for him to be the type of person who not only manages talent and nurtures them, but to come to Whitney Houston's aide, you must be proud to consider him an influence in your career and life.

CA: Clive's reputation really precedes him. It's been quite an amazing experience to know that I have been privy to the "Clive Davis fingerprint" on our projects.

SK: When I last saw you perform live, you entered the arena to "Kyrie Eliason" and everyone had chills. I know Mister Mister's "Broken Wings" is on "A Thousands Ways," but will you ever record "Kyrie Eliason?" It is a match made in heaven.

CA: I love that song. It was tossed around as an idea early on for this album. But as it's not a love song so we had to shelf it.

SK: Clay, you are in the middle of another Christmas tour with a full orchestra. What do you like so much about touring during the holidays? Are you the new Neil Diamond?

CA: There's such a positive energy and feel around the holidays. Audiences always have such a different energy at Christmas and the songs are so hopeful.

~Joel D. Amos

Ooo look! Clay didn't say, "Clive! Ptooie! I spit upon his name!" - though I'll bet it's being looked at through the super sekrit decoder rings and has been declared that Clay is really saying, "Help me! Save me!"

Because you know Clive is totally worthless on today's music scene and no one would ever want to listen to him. Because anything he did that was successful was an accident, and anything that wasn't successful was because he is totally incompetent. And old. And we all know how old equals bad.

Ooo look! Clay didn't say, "Clive! Ptooie! I spit upon his name!" - though I'll bet it's being looked at through the super sekrit decoder rings and has been declared that Clay is really saying, "Help me! Save me!"

YUP I guess a lot of people are taking this quote...

CA: Clive's reputation really precedes him. It's been quite an amazing experience to know that I have been privy to the "Clive Davis fingerprint" on our projects.

as Clay spinning...

uh huh...if you say so...

hMMM....I see that doublespeak is being detected and appreciated in podland...the whole 'Clive fingerprint' thingy...

Didn't Clay in one interview say something about his OWN thumbprint being on all the final songs on ATDW?

Was that bullshit, too? <_<:rolleyes:

Yay, for all of you who try to insert reason into an unreasonably biased point of view. KAndre, Ansa and Luckiest1, good for you.

There is some good stuff in that little interview. The reference to nice guys finishing second, that he and Kelly are the most successful to come off of the show, the whole intro to the questions was very nice.

I also think it is cool that he acknowledges the accomplishments of others from his season and points out that it is not always the top finishers that have the most success.

But of course for some, only the Clive quote got any attention, and it's for what he didn't say, not what he did.

Yay, for all of you who try to insert reason into an unreasonably biased point of view. KAndre, Ansa and Luckiest1, good for you.

There is some good stuff in that little interview. The reference to nice guys finishing second, that he and Kelly are the most successful to come off of the show, the whole intro to the questions was very nice.

I also think it is cool that he acknowledges the accomplishments of others from his season and points out that it is not always the top finishers that have the most success.

But of course for some, only the Clive quote got any attention, and it's for what he didn't say, not what he did.

I know isn't that neat. He really simply hates tooting his own horn and would rather focus on other idols accomplishments. I'm sure he is super thrilled about Jennifer's win. He is just such a generous person.

hee about the fingerprints...I always thought that Clay's constant name dropping of Clive was a way to get crdiblity for this project. He is after all a very well respected man in the industry.

Why, yes. I'm trying to argue that point. Not that it's seeming to sink in.

Is it terrible to admit that I like being an "Awesomely Demented Fan"? More dangerous that teenagers with machetes! I am such a BAD ASS!

Heh!

hMMM....I see that doublespeak is being detected and appreciated in podland...the whole 'Clive fingerprint' thingy...

Didn't Clay in one interview say something about his OWN thumbprint being on all the final songs on ATDW?

Was that bullshit, too? <_<:rolleyes:

Doing a search on the word "thumbprint" in the Fast Forward News Section of FCA, I find this, taken from the MTV.com inteview on September 22, 2006:

And although A Thousand Different Ways, which drops Tuesday, lacks the personal accounts of an original album, it's still very close to Aiken's heart.

"If anything, this is the first time that I've been able to do something that I think sounds like me," he explained. "And I've been able to put my thumbprint on it, because I was involved in it from minute one, from the beginning to the end."

So I'd say yeah, people are calling "bullshit" on something he said in a freakin' interview. But ya know, I guess he was forced to say that too....

It took me a minute to get past a few obvious errors in the beginning paragraph, but really -- the entire interview is good, the interviewer seemed to have respect for Clay.

Which, of course, makes perfect sense to Pod People across the fandom. Me? :grrrr::excuseme::whatever:

I know isn't that neat. He really simply hates tooting his own horn and would rather focus on other idols accomplishments. I'm sure he is super thrilled about Jennifer's win. He is just such a generous person.

I agree -- I find it charming in how humble he truly is, and I would venture a guess that Jennifer's win has him over the moon.

hee about the fingerprints...I always thought that Clay;s concstant name dropping of Clive was a way to get crdiblity for this project. He is after all a very well respected man in the industry.

Yep. Let's put it this way -- if you were to ask 100 random people in a totally unscientific poll who Clive Davis was, I'd venture a guess that more than a few would know the name. Could you do that with any other recording executives? I'd be hard pressed to come up with another. So, the general public knows who he is, and understands his importance in the recording business. I think the industry, love him or hate him, feels the same way. They know he's gotten where he is because of smarts and chutzpah, not to mention drive. He works HARD for his money. And just because he's old now doesn't mean much to me -- I think Clay probably knows to pick his brain because of all the experiences Clive's had. Again, he's not perfect...but no one is.

:fca:

It's cold outside, will be colder tomorrow. Guess I willhave to turn off the computer and get some other stuff done because I if I read stuff, I want to reply. Well, I am going out again - need to actually shop once in a while.

Clay is a nice guy, a horrible unrelenting tease, but a nice guy. It comes accross in taht interview. it seems such a pleasnat interview and filled with so much more information thn the John Mayer interview which was grossly padded by the writer to have any content over Mayer's two sentences.

I guess since I am questioning all tabloidal information, I have to question all insider information as well. Don't even get me started on quote mind reading.

Edited by playbiller

I found a really long interview with Clay on Ch:

Sheknows.com

10 questions with Clay Aiken

CA: (Laughs) I think that part of the focus on "Clay Aiken" is always going to be on how weird he looks! Part of the phenomenon is that this skinny, dorky looking white kid could be transformed into something moderately presentable! (Laughs) I hope that people have always been able to look past the exterior and hear me sing. Or, at least, be able to say "He may look weird, but he can sing well!"

Love the interview. Love it. I think one of the things I'm discovering with the google project is that there are many celebrities out there that just don't inspire passion. For some reason Clay does. I think it is a double edged sword in that nothing seems to get past the watchful eyes of his fans or detractors. But that means the good stuff gets out there as well. I will put on my double speak interpretative glasses to say that Clay isn't just talking about his physical exterior but all areas of his life that seems to fascinate the public so. He's had 4 years to get use to the intrusive nature of it and learn to live with it. I'm sure he still grapples wtih it but I hope he can put his strength in god and utilize his great sense of humour to help him deal with it all including the intrusive questions asked of him by his fans on his fan club board.

I don't share this idea that Clay is my friend so have the right to just ask him anything and expect that he will respond. I also find his myspace board, the couple times I visiting too intimate in nature. It's a really strange and foreign concept to me.

The weather here in Cali has been cold at night. I'm really not looking forward to paying $5/lb for oranges. Sigh.

I don't share this idea that Clay is my friend so have the right to just ask him anything and expect that he will respond. I also find his myspace board, the couple times I visiting too intimate in nature. It's a really strange and foreign concept to me.

Ok...this intrigues me....what, exactly, is intimate about things on his MySpace? I don't go there..but this isn't the first time I've read something similar about it...HOW are things 'intimate' there...?

Funny, since Clay's 'naughty, naughty' teacher blog (hee)...everything I see of his words in print has me imagining what will be extrapolated from it---because just as I know that my younger daughter is going to hear me tell her not to leave the lights on upstairs when she comes downstairs, I also know that the chances are incredibly good that she won't LISTEN! :rolleyes:

Love that paragraph that you highlighted couchie...I totally agree. His looks, his faith, his sexuality...there is so many things that people find fascinating about Clay that often his talent is overlooked. One thing he can take comfort in...that talent is real and won;t go anywhere. So slowly but surely...that will be top of mind when people mentions Clay's name. The others will still be an issue and it will just keep people talking.

I second Muski's request for clarification. Are the people who post telling him very personal and intimate things? I really think this internet way of making friends and keeping up relationship is quite interesting but at times personal boundaries are not clearly established and we find people share not only their opinions but how much bills they pay.

-because just as I know that my younger daughter is going to hear me tell her not to leave the lights on upstairs when she comes downstairs, I also know that the chances are incredibly good that she won't LISTEN! rolleyes.gif

I can so relate to this. ah kids...and of course they resent the fact that you remind them ...like they are still babies. Hee...don;t they ralize that if they just do what we ask then we wont nag??? yup I have issues :allgood:

BTW...American idol starts tonight I think...so are people interested in chatting about it...I will start and AI chat thread. We can use that for every AI telecast to give out opinions of this years crop.

I will put a link when the thread is open

AI 6 chat thread here!!!

I read the comments at his myspace a couple of time and maybe what I mean is "familiar." There are things said about Clay on different message boards when we talk about Clay that I have no problem with us. It's us talking to each other about this man. But if you took those same comments and directed them straight at Clay because you suppose he's reading then I go ewwwwwwwwwww. People calling him darling and even Clayton skeeves me out. There is a certain real relationship feel to it some of them. People talking about themselves and other things of a personal nature. I got the same feeling when Clay was in chat that time...lots of do you remember me nonsense that made me wonder how stable some of those people were.

Guess I'll go try to finish my tour recommendations for my song since I kinda gave up on Idol midway through seson 4.

Are people calling him Clayton on his myspace??? He didn't even let Tyra use clayton! and she is HOT...

well AI was a train wreck tonight. After watchign jennifer Hudson on Dreamgirls..and watching Clay and hearing all the talent that has come from that show...I just hate the fact that they waste so much time on these bad auditions. They are no longer funny cos we all know these people know waht to expect.

I just get upset when I think that out of 10K people from minnesot they let 17 through to hollywood...

and its not because all the rest were lousy, but because they probably let go of a lot of talented people to let the freaks in...they probably overlooked a lot of people because they are not what they are looking for this year. In the two hours of show...they only showed 6 people that were good...with only 17 through, why didn;t they just show more of the good.

SIGH

But Clay was very prominent in the AI success montage...the first that they showed, coinciding with the words phenomenal and they falshed lots of his cd in the number cd montage...and no Clay impersonator. But there will be a Taylor one tomorrow.

Well I don;t think I will miss Knights of prosperity for this show tomorrow...its going to be a circus.

just as I leave others to find the conspiracy, I leave others to watch the auditions. There is more to life than the audition part. Guess I won't watch until Valentines day.

Well, that frees up some time - So anyone here watching the White Rapper show, the mini hip hop AI? It is pretty funny to me about the suburban kids moving to the Bronx to live in a roach infested meat factory, or whatever and wandering around the neighborhood performing for the locals It is a riot and has little gem pieces buried in it, where someone gets a clue from time to time. WHen they were asked to do old style break dancing, I almost fell out of my chair laughing. I don't think they were expecting tohave to do that and, no, breaking into a tap dance does not qualify. Some how I don't think the young girl who idolizes Vanilla Ice and hates 50 Cent and Snoop will make it too far.

just as I leave others to find the conspiracy, I leave others to watch the auditions. There is more to life than the audition part. Guess I won't watch until Valentines day.

Well, that frees up some time - So anyone here watching the White Rapper show, the mini hip hop AI? It is pretty funny to me about the suburban kids moving to the Bronx to live in a roach infested meat factory, or whatever and wandering around the neighborhood performing for the locals It is a riot and has little gem pieces buried in it, where someone gets a clue from time to time. WHen they were asked to do old style break dancing, I almost fell out of my chair laughing. I don't think they were expecting tohave to do that and, no, breaking into a tap dance does not qualify. Some how I don't think the young girl who idolizes Vanilla Ice and hates 50 Cent and Snoop will make it too far.

that sunds more interesting that AI...what network is it on??? or is it cable?

This is a VH1 special. I watch this and the fame game surreal life. The difference is that real people are involved in teh white rapper. Plus I am learning a bit about rap history as they are teaching these kids about it. Of course when they test them, they fail dismally.

The parting words on this show - the "Your fired/please pack your knives/you're ooff" equivalent is "give me your sneakers" They tie the strings together and throw them over a clothes line in the alley. Shouldn't they go over a telephone line? Anyway, when they got there, they gave these contestants sneakers with their names on it and they have to wear them to all elimination meetings. After they give their sneakers they leave through the alley where some odd exit skit takes place. This week it was 2 women dressed as girls offering the girl ice screm then yelling for her to get out. - you have to see it.

AAAAhhhhh, maybe no for little girls - the language is bad and very edited in the US, don't know if it would be in Canada - and apparently 2 participants are "involved" and then they guy raps about it - not for children, no, no, unless you edit it heavily.

My hubby said, "God, they've turned it (AI) into a circus. I don't need to watch until all the cities are done and they've collected the group in Hollywood."

Amen.

Wonder how much a 30 second commercial cost an advertiser tonight during that two hours of horseshit.

I belive the answer is 600K.Or maybe it was a minute.

Anywho - the auditions historically has the highest ratings until the final three or so. I would so love to seethem tank tonight though, they are really pushing the envelope and there are a lot of better audition shows out there. I still think "the One" could have been good, if they spent the money onhaving a good sound system (they should have tried to hire from AI, staffing theft is a revered business practice) and they were less about the drama and matching couples upo and more about the classes.