Clay Chat for summer 2007!

ldyjocelyn

I wish I was going to even one show. :cry

I'm not able to go to a show this summer, either. We can cry together!

I don't know what Clay will be singing, or who he will be with, but I know I'll love it. I like a combination of fast and slow music, so that's what I'm hoping for. It will be interesting to see if he does do some new stuff that he's thinking of for the album, after it didn't go over very well at the JBT concerts. I'd LOVE to hear him do LAA. He will have the instruments to do it with on the symphony tour, too. Please, Clay??

does anyone think the symphonies represent anything more than perhaps a cheaper way to tour? Or will this be incorporated into his future endeavors?

I think the symphonies represent that Clay like singing with symphonies!

Seriously - JNT04, JNaT, Proud of your Boy.... that and the songs from ATDW lend themselves to orchestral arrangements.

I also think it does NOT represent that Clay always wants to sing with symphonies. I just think he really loves to and since he was going to tour with songs from ATDW aanyway, why not!

LOL...you're right..this isn't a new thing..plus he has 30 people on stage to mess with.

At some point his hair will look like a) crap; B) ambrosia; c) a toupee.

Hair discussion, tomorrow night. *g*

I also think it does NOT represent that Clay always wants to sing with symphonies. I just think he really loves to and since he was going to tour with songs from ATDW aanyway, why not!

ITA. I'm not sure that symphonies = cheap for touring, but I think he got a major rush last Christmas performing with all those orchestras. First of all, that rush of sound behind him had to be major cool. But also, he got to control a LOT of people. I bet that felt pretty good too.

Forgot about LAA....IF he does sing it (and I'm not positive he will either), I think it might be the encore.

{{{{{{{those not getting to a show this year}}}}}}}}}}}

does anyone think the symphonies represent anything more than perhaps a cheaper way to tour? Or will this be incorporated into his future endeavors?

I actually think he might still use a lot of orchestration for his next album. I think using symphonies are a great way to build up his fanbase. a lot of these shows really rely on locals that simply want to enjoy some music.

I wish I was going to even one show. :cry

I'm not able to go to a show this summer, either. We can cry together!

I still have two extra tickets to Pala..... :whistling-1:

Unless muski sold them and didn't remember to tell me!

I think he loved last Christmas when he found out he had a whole bunch of people in the audience that had never seen him.

Agree! Hee. I think he was really getting scared there for a minute that he only had 5000 fans that follow him around. That's gotta be kinda freaky!

*cries with Gibby*

I think he loves singing with symphonies, and will do it again. I also think he'll sing with a band again--I don't think this is an exclusive career direction.

I think he loved last Christmas when he found out he had a whole bunch of people in the audience that had never seen him.

Agree! Hee. I think he was really getting scared there for a minute that he only had 5000 fans that follow him around. That's gotta be kinda freaky!

Especially when those same 5000 like to sit in the front row!

Hmmmm...that reminds me of the last question....

But that's in about 5 minutes.

oh no YSRN? Can't you get away for one of the so cal concerts? Girl just sqeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze in heee.

I agree..I miss the tour family. Hopefully the whole gang or some portion thereof is there with him. I hope he gets a new male backup singer. I miss the balance that Jacob brought.

It would be tough to do ATDW music without a symphony, so I think that's one of the reasons he's doing this tour with a symphony. I also agree about controlling a bunch of people, and enjoying singing with the beautiful, lush backup of symphonies.

However, I remember that some of the orchestras during JNT04 were not the greatest. Some were wonderful, but a few weren't really in tune or together. Yikes! I couldn't listen to much of the clack from those concerts. It looks like most of these symphonies are on the more pretigious side, and hopefully all of them will be good.

I think he loves singing with symphonies, and will do it again. I also think he'll sing with a band again--I don't think this is an exclusive career direction.

yup...I think its safe to say ..we really don;t know but are open to any possibility.

I really hope he gets to bring in a lot of families...great for those outdoor venues.

Do you guys wonder if he will make some sort of entrance for this concert??? Would he have more of a set design??? Maybe not...but I wonder how he will start the show...

don't know Ansa...and can't wait to see what his banter is. It's ALWAYS different. Even when he has a successful schtick...he usually retires it for the next tour. I thought stump the band was simply genius.

Concert clay is my favorite clay.

I think the opening song will be RHW -- with Clay striding onto the stage as if he owns the place! I also don't think there's going to be much of a "set," not enough room on the stage!

play, I think it could be WY (if he's looking for big and bombastic, like Solitaire)....or it could be LAA (for the soft and quiet, such as ICMYLM (sorry YSRN)).

Final question for the night:

6) What is Clay's market demographic at the moment? What do you think should be Clay's market demographic? How can any of these demographics be expanded?

Ah, but what will be the big song this year?

Solitaire, BOTW, WDC - been there done that - he needs a show stopper.

Well if he sings LAA that will be a huge show stopper...but I agree with YSRN...I really doubt it.

BW is a possibility...

I don't want to hear any of those songs this tour. Of course we probably will and I'll be fine about it. But I would like to hear some new moments too... Bring on Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me...I'd love this to be something he sings...this song is Clay.

Now this is one that annoys me elsewhere - Clay's market demo is whoever the hell buys his CD.

If it's baby boomers, well, hell, there's a lot of 'em!

I know I already proposed to YSRN this evening -- KAndre, are you into polygamy? *g*

I'm proud to be "Clay's market demographic." Just because I'm a female and approaching middle age (some would say I'm there already)...does this mean that my money's not good? Does it have female cooties?

As for expanding to other demographics -- listen, Clay doesn't care about cool all that much, IMO. So getting those teen age boys to buy his album (even if it is a heavy metal disc) is probably pretty low on his list of priorities.

I don't want to hear any of those songs this tour. Of course we probably will and I'll be fine about it. But I would like to hear some new moments too... Bring on Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me...I'd love this to be something he sings...this song is Clay.

Agreed - I've enjoyed them, but don't need to hear them again. I'm ready for new BIG songs!

Target demographic? Agree with KAndre - it's whoever is buying his CD! Probably a lot of baby boomers, but younger and older people, too!

6) What is Clay's market demographic at the moment? What do you think should be Clay's market demographic? How can any of these demographics be expanded?

At the moment, the vast majority of Clay's fanbase is over 40 (some waaaaaay over 40!) and women. Not sure why that is because more of the young uns watch AI than us old folk! But all you have to do is go to a concert or a TV appearance to see that's true. Sometimes its downright embarrassing. I will never forget the comments by the Kimmel people and just look at the OFC CD signing videos!

Oy!

I think unless he shows he can expand his fanbase, this will be the demographic he will be marketed to. And I think it will be very, very hard to attract a lot of the younger people. First, he doesn't sing their type of music and secondly - and most sadly - he isn't perceived as cool enough for them. We all know that shouldn't matter, but to the teens and young 20's, it does matter.

Now, the young folks are also a fickled lot and if he suddenly put out "cool" music or did something that was considered cool, they might embrace him, but I think it is an uphill battle for him. He just has never been seen as cool and never underestimate the importance of the coolness factor with many of the young.

(And why do I suddenly feel like an old fart!)

Ooooo! They're doing a feature on the Mann on the news! Clay will be there in a month and a half! (THey mentioned a lot of the performers, but not Clay....)

Edited by Claygasm

Hmmm right now I do think his demo is heavily female...30 up...

I don;t think there is a should in the demographics...I just think it would be good if he starts really getting the 18 to 35 demo. I think this is the target of a lot of advertisers.

If he needs to expand, I say he needs to go younger...but he can also continue to work on the current demographic. There is still a lot of room to grow there. He has not penetrated that market as well as Josh and Micheal so he can still work on getting into AC radio.

expansion of fanbase needs to happen outside of radio. I think goign for the symphony crowd is a good start..then they can try to use TV and movies as way to expand. I think he just needs one good hit that gets good buzz and radio will open up.