Clay Chat for summer 2007!

ldyjocelyn

I think a lot of what people think of as gay is really southern - city southern, as opposed to Rough guy southern - John Edwards has some "pundits (i.e. deliberately slandering people on the payroll, if you know what I mean, Karl) state that he is gay - just because he has a lilt to his voice and he wears suits and cleans up nice, and doesn't have a reputation for bar fights.

Another excellent point.

Maybe I just wait and jus continue to word a lot.

I think the reason people find Clay's sexuality such a fascinating topic is that deep down inside, most people are gossip hounds.

Non-fans just like to drag people down and the media like sensationalism so taking the clean cut, goody t wo shoes image of Clay's and shattering it

Wow, Great post CG... I especially agree with the second post. People don't want to believe he is just a good guy trying to live his life..there has to be SOMETHING there to bring him down...to shout hypocrisy is one way.

Yup. Good people must have something to hide! With Clay, because the "rumors" have always been there, its his sexuality. And he isn't just gay. He trolls the internet for gay hook-ups and has rough sex with ex-Marines!

They need to make it sleezy because no one is truly good. Good doesn't sell magazines.

I remember reading so many descriptions of Clay that included the term "non threatening", after all this time, I think that was just another way his sexuallity was questioned. Oddly enough, I think there are a lot of men who are threatened by Clay and what they percieve is his lack of masculinity.

A long time ago I wrote a post that stated something to the effect, I could not imagine asking someone I had known for a long time about their sexuality if it was not something they had felt they wanted to share with me before. So it's hard for me to understand media types that feel that it is their's or anyone else's business.

It's funny, until I started reading the message boards in Oct or 03, I had no idea that Clay's sexuality was being questioned. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

I think one of the biggest problem is the media...they need to sensationalize things. So one thing that gets a lot of print is sexual exploits so that becomes a focus. Its the need to sell magazines and fill air time.

Oddly enough, I think there are a lot of men who are threatened by Clay and what they percieve is his lack of masculinity.

I think maybe some men are threatened because they find themselves a bit attracted, and they don't like it. It makes them doubt themselves.

But most of the most vested people are the ones that were there from the beginning and know very well who is trying to redefine Clay, thank you very much Dean. It is not as if we don't know - no there was not really a big issue in the beginning - there was that asshole on TWOP and a few haters who really are using gay for not cool. They are using it to discourage male fans and to turn off some female, especially the ones who need to be cool (younger usually, but some old biddies as well), nothing more and the defending fans have kept it going and made it a bigger worse story, but I am ahead of the scheduled talk here.

DISENGAGE - god please CLay Nation. DISENGAGE.

When I see stories about Clay and go to those neutral sites to read -- more likely than not the comments sections is just full of hatahs and Clay fans fighting it out. STOP IT.

Post a comment regarding the article and move on. Do not get into a back and forth with crazy people. The crazy speaks for itself. And if 100 Clay fans just speak articulaately about whatever article is posted rather than come off like over protective mamas people with no gripes will go with the articulate every time. And everything won't be so escalated out of control.

1) Why do you think people (both fans and non-fans) find Clay's sexuality such a fascinating topic?

I think it's kinda boring, myself. :lol:

It's funny, until I started reading the message boards in Oct or 03, I had no idea that Clay's sexuality was being questioned.

Me either. I never looked at him on AI and thought one way or another. It's weird to me that people even thought of it in the first place. Haha. But, whatever, I don't care if people are curious. I don't get bothered by it much because I guess big whoop. How's that for some deep thought? Hee.

2) What's the best way to deal with "gnats?"
See above. I don't even consider "them" gnats. I just ignore it.

Oh, don't believe me if I try to tell you I was not one pissed off beyotch last February... I was. But that was "an incident", not a mindset. If the worlds wants to think Clay is gay or not gay, circle back to big whoop. It doesn't change him. It doesn't change me. So... one big bucket of meh.

STOP IT.

Yeah that.

Edited by YSRN

Gnats...ignore them....I can;t understand why thats so hard to do.

I have never been to PH;s site...or ever read Jp's blog...very easy to do.

ok...I do read threads that discuss them. hee...but if I don;t want to be bothered by them...I just do;t go to those threads.

We have the control here...the fans just don;t realize that.

Gay = "not cool" = unhappy ldyjocelyn. But that's the previous topic.

As far as the gnats go...how many times can I say "ignore" here? Because as much as curiosity can get the best of me, I refuse to click on the links for the gnat blogs. To me, it's a simple as that. They want hits. They don't get them, they should go away. Oh sure, they may try more and more outrageous things to get me to click -- but then they sound so damn silly that people just laugh instead.

I see some people still posting on the previous topic, but I'm going to move on...

Question 2:

2) What's the best way to deal with "gnats?"

Ignore them.

They have always been there and they will always be there. What they seek is attention and recognition. I have always believed they don't deserve the attention this fandom gave them. The only person who can fight that battle, if he chooses to, is Clay. Not us.

I believe the worse thing we as fans can do is to send emails, write angry letters, etc. That just draws more attention to them. Plus there is that old saying about she who doth protests too much so often all the attention the fans give them is just taken as proof that what they say is true.

Clay is a big boy (heh... and in some places bigger than others... :whistling-1: ). he has a team of top-notch lawyers and advisors. Let him deal with them in whatever way he sees fit. We as his fans should just go about our business of being his fans and that does not mean fighting his battles for him.

As for how Clay should best deal with them? Well, to me the way he has dealt with them in the past is the correct way. Ignore them. If they do something that is truly harmful, then maybe that's another story. But I think he is right in not taking the bait. Once he addesses it he becomes fare game and he has set a precedent that he may live to regret.

Gnats...ignore them....I can;t understand why thats so hard to do.

I have never been to PH;s site...or ever read Jp's blog...very easy to do.

ok...I do read threads that discuss them. hee...but if I don;t want to be bothered by them...I just do;t go to those threads.

We have the control here...the fans just don;t realize that.

Yep, I think I checked out of the private places in March of 2006. I'm not completely clueless but I don't live with the day to day minutia. And I Have to say I love it that way. The only Clay story that has been mentioned to me other than the Ripa fiasco, which was a PR boon as far as I'm concerned, was that clay was mean to some kid and wouldn't let him sing. The funny part is that I didn't fully know the details. I just said, this was a professional Xmas concerts, tickets going for 100 dollars and this kid wanted to treat it like an idol try out. I added that clay was too much of a perfectionist to allow something like that...and my SIL said oh I thought there had to be more to it than that.

Yeah, Ansa that's kinda what I mean. Fans were running over to those sites day after day. I have to admit I only read a little bit of what they brought back and there were nights I went to bed feeling sick, mainly because I felt so bad for Clay.

If the worlds wants to think Clay is gay or not gay, circle back to big whoop. It doesn't change him. It doesn't change me. So... one big bucket of meh.

:clap::clap:

I somehow get the feeling, though, that several of Clay's fans were ingrained with the fighting aspect -- because of voting like fiends for him on AI. Therefore, some never got out of that fight mode, and this is one of those instances where they feel like they are doing him some good....when, IMO, they are doing much more harm.

OK, then -- ignore it is. But then, let's get to this question (unofficial, not on the list) -- why do fans feel they need to fight the good fight?

Well, there are those who want to mother him so I guess that would be a case of the mother tiger defending her young.

There are those who DO believe being gay is a sin, and they need to make sure their darling Clay isn't pereived as a sinner (the same reason they are sure he's a virgin!).

There are those who need him to be cool and the gay thing, or whatever crap the gnats are spewing doesn't make him cool.

There are those who need to know all there is to know about Clay so they must defend that by proving the gnats wrong.

And there are those who need to run Clay's life.

As for how Clay should best deal with them? Well, to me the way he has dealt with them in the past is the correct way. Ignore them. If they do something that is truly harmful, then maybe that's another story. But I think he is right in not taking the bait. Once he addesses it he becomes fare game and he has set a precedent that he may live to regret.

YES I so agree with this.

LdyJ - some do it cuz they love him. Some do it cuz they love drama. Some do it cuz they are themselves distrubed. Some do it because they have invested too much time and energy and he must continue to be the person they think he is.

Yep CG can't forget mama bear.

yup YSRN...

I think the best way to ignore or not care about the gnat...is not to care about what they are saying cos it really does not have any power over clay.

When we look at it...the only rumors that really hurt or destroy careers are those that turn out to be true...Meaning, its the actions of these celebrities that end up really hurting them. When rumors have no basis in fact...they usually just become something of a curiosity. For example...the rumors that Tom Cruise was gay has been around for years. But what actually change people opinion about him??? his own bizarre behavior that everyone witnessed.

I trust that Clay is exactly who he says he is...so I don't care what gossip is being circulated...they eventually go away.

Other thing that I do not care about...is whether Clay is gay or not...since I don;t care ...I no longer react when peole says he is....the only person that gets to define clay;s sexuality is Clay. Worry about the affect to his career...nah...people always thoguht he was gay...hasn;t stopped his sales of CDs and concert tickets yet.

OK, then -- ignore it is. But then, let's get to this question (unofficial, not on the list) -- why do fans feel they need to fight the good fight?

Same reason they think they have to handle his PR, the distribution of his album in stores, his track list, his producers, his song choices, his wardrobe, his love life?