Clay Chat for summer 2007!

ldyjocelyn

I have to say...that when I started out this was like a continuation of AI...a rality show but now I was watching clay and his career. I think as much as I liked clay's perosnality and voice and look ....I didn;t know him.

But now...I jsut get so amazed at some of the things clay does. He always manages to surprise me ...that is why I grew to really admire him as a person.

I never really was so immersed that I had to buy everything...I only have the important magazines. I only have one of each CD's and even this concert...I think I am more motivated by the rode trip with couchie and other FCAers than the actual concerts.

Ahem, buying things - yea, I am still buying thing - but hey, Ihaven't bought clothes for 2 years (besides Clay shirts), I am almost finished giving away 3/4 of what ws in my closet - but if there is a major mention of Clay or a cover, I buy it. Hey, I am waiting for my copy of Lime magazine, it is supposed to be here in a few weeks.

Did you know that the extra large T shirts for 5 dollars make great night shirts or beach coverups?

Oh, and I hate shipping of any kind (romantic, or paternal or even close friends) - except as a joke or noted as fictional, not to be taken serious. .

Edited by playbiller

I don't post as often nor do I write treatises. I don't feel as if I'm trying to convince anyone of anything. I have groups of online friends with whom I interact off the public boards.

Nelle, isn't this wonderful? There are people in my life who are my friends. THey are not just my Clay friends. I am so fortunate in this regard. Tomorrow I'll go see Muski's daughter pitch. I have another friend near me who I love dearly and her wonderful husband. I would never have met them if not for Clay.

ALso Nelle, we are so lucky to live in CA with so much Clay happenings and people to hang out with and enjoy!!

I probably enjoy the online fandom less (FCA excepted). I used to laugh a lot more and have a lot more fun--at least I think that's not just selective memory.

Aww. I still have fun. I still laugh my ass off mostly. I do also go the other way, but I still laugh. I'm a board ho for that very reason. I need the full gamut. I want this to be fun, and crazy, and inspiring, and educational... all rolled into one. And I'll be damned if it isn't. That's why I love it.

We just had a clone scavenger hunt at WMS/gca this past week. :lol: Take time for fun, silly! Where's the squish emotie?

Oh God, I used to buy each and every freakin' magazine, even if it just mentioned Clay in one paragraph. No more....although I still buy and keep a LOT of magazines. Just not in multiples.

I'm even weening myself from clack too -- I don't need to keep all those Insider text message poll results that mention Clay, do I?

3 more minutes....

I don't post as often nor do I write treatises. I don't feel as if I'm trying to convince anyone of anything. I have groups of online friends with whom I interact off the public boards.

Nelle, isn't this wonderful? There are people in my life who are my friends. THey are not just my Clay friends. I am so fortunate in this regard. Tomorrow I'll go see Muski's daughter pitch. I have another friend near me who I love dearly and her wonderful husband. I would never have met them if not for Clay.

ALso Nelle, we are so lucky to live in CA with so much Clay happenings and people to hang out with and enjoy!!

I'm so jellus in that regard. Which reminds me -- I need to find another time to go visit atinal....

jmh, I understand what you mean. The overriding worry about Clay on some boards overtook the fun, didn't it? Fortunately, other boards sprang up, ones that still knew how to have a bit of fun.

But now...I jsut get so amazed at some of the things clay does. He always manages to surprise me ...that is why I grew to really admire him as a person.

I love that he doesn't squander his opportunities. He's a big sponge soaking up life. His "fandom" probably went through the same cycle as ours - albeit on a different scale. Hence the Radner quote. But still, there he is, always making the best of what's put in front of him.

:wub:

If anyone repeats this I'll deny, deny, deny.... but in a way, it is like watching a son grow up. I love seeing his youth meet life - and what he does with it. Does that make sense?

Never stopped me from wanting to do him though. :lol:

Edited by YSRN

You are lucky. I used to have a group of fans around here I was very close to. Now I have grown apart from all of them but one - and even with her our friendship is not what it used to be. But I too have friends found in this fandom who are not just Clay friends. They are just friends and to me that is more valuable than all the CDs or merchandise or anything else I could have ever received from Clay.

hee clack might be the biggest difference for me....I don't DL every clack anymore. my poor computer couldn't take it ...now with this new one, I want to be smart about it. i always know where to get something if I need it, online....

Wait 5 minutes and it will change - it is interesting to watch.

I was not thrilled with what it looked like on AI5, but at the same time, I felt it was a work in progress. I guess some time he will settle on a hair cut that he can wear for a few years. The only problem I have it that I believe it is Keeping him from coming out with a calendar.

Question 5:

5) Why are people so fascinated with Clay's hair?

Because the man is a chameleon and his hair is his skin.

One hair out of place and his entire face changes. It's wack!

And some of us are highly visual. I want him to be cute. It's his job. ;)

Besides he started it by changing it every five seconds.

OK I admit to why my online board involvment changed. I love to debate and spar and postho. And god knows I did a lot of that over the years in Clay world. It was fun for me. Yeah it got to the point where you kinda knew what everybody was going to say on any issue before it happened hee. But it was still fun for me cuz "arguing" is something I enjoy. After ATDW came out everything changed for me becuase suddenly I didn't know what would come out of anybody's mouth. The people I was used to being on opposite sides with, I was now agreeing with and the people who used to be on my side were strangers. It was weird for me and on top of it all being kinda hysterical and overbearing and my mom being sick I just lost the desire. Even though FCA was here, it was never really my home home until after ATDW cuz mostly it's where I came to hide and just enjoy Clay, the album, and get over the pressures of a sick mom and whatever was going on in my life. I'm so happy some other people came over to join me. A year ago... there really wasn't much going on here.

I think one of the things that just hit me this past week is this: some people are just extremely visual. They react to the first thing they see. I'm not that much of a visual person, IMO -- more of an audio person. I also don't tend to go with my immediate gut reaction on many things -- but some do.

Clay's hair seems to be as much of a "signature" for him as his voice. He realizes that, I believe -- and thus likes to play around with it to get reactions.

Maybe it's because it changes so often. I don't get too vested in how the hair looks, I don't usually even comment on it. I might not like the look in one particular photo, but I just don't feel the need to post about it. Plenty do, that's ok too.

Question 5:

Well, I think its for many reasons but I think the main one is he changes it so often! And we saw it - and him - evolve on AI. I mean, think how it looked at the Atlanta audition and how it looked at the end of the season! He went from not very attractive (ok, IMO, he was downright ugly - sorry!) to quite handsome.

The other reason - and this is the main one for me - is I'm shallow. I love it when Clay looks hot - and sorry, but for me, he doesn't always. Its part of my 12 year old :DoClay: fantasy! And the hair often defines to me how hot he looks.

To be honest, during the spike era I wasn't obsessed with the hair because it was usually pretty much the same. I do remember times during the IT that it looked like he had hat head and thinking it looked bad. But it was essentially the same. I think I first started being more obsessed with it during the JNT05 actually. JBT hair seems fine to me - in many ways better than the spikes. BUt JNTo5 mohawk hair which sometimes looked as if he stuck his finger in a light socket was so bad I started obsessing about it!

Then AI5 hair sent me into a tail spin! But then came library boy and Kimmel and it just kept getting better and better - LKL hair, KTLA hair, Tyra hair, snowflake hair, AMA hair and even most of the hair on the JNat. And then there was gala hair plus beard and Afghanistan hair. All so yummy. All so hot.

Then all of a sudden it was a Prince Valient bowl cut only to get worse with that hair he has now that looks like Jamie got really, really mad at him and took an errant weed wacker to it!

For me, the hair is fascinating because it changes his looks so much. As I said, I am 12 - and a shallow 12 at that - and I want Clay to look hot all the time and when I see him go from all that recent hotness to Prince Valient or Edward Scissorhead it make me crazy because I know he can look sooooooooooooo much better.

That said, don;t get me wrong. As shallow as I am, my fandom does NOT depend on his hair. The state of his hair would never prevent me from going to a concert or buying his CDs or supporting him in anyway. Its just that for me great hair makes it more fun.

WHere did CG go heee. this is her topic.

Clay can look like a little kid and a 30 year old guy, a nerd, a hot pop star, a computer geek, a business man and everything in between He can look really really different from one day to the next. So I really get why the hair changes get to people. For me I don't focus on it too much cuz hair and clothes are just not what I do. I don't get it. I can't tell the difference between much of the styles. It's long. It's short. It's spikey. Like the hair from yesterday..I don't think it was bad..I just don't think the photos were great. I think if say KarenEH had been there with her camera she would have found the HOT. heee.

ETA there she is!!

I think he looks better some days than others, but I don't care much. I know he looks fiiiiine on my desktop or in my picture files or on my favorite clack, and I know next time I see him he'll probably take my breath away. After four years, how is it that a photograph of this guy can literally do that??!!

I'm fascinated by his many looks. Back when I first got on line after AI, I honestly could not believe all the photos I was seeing were of the same guy.

I really don't get the hair in depth discussion - this may sound horrible, but to me, Clay basically always has a variation of "white dude hair". He doesn't do dreads, locs, braids, cornrows, unusual colors, fingerwaves, no helicopters, afro puffs. No matter what he does, it tends to look like three quarters of guys in magazines, on tv, or on the street. Bangs? Bowl cut? Various levels of spikes? Bed head? Just don't get it. I do like excessive long though.

Question 5:

Because the man is a chameleon and his hair is his skin.

One hair out of place and his entire face changes. It's wack!

Besides he started it by changing it every five seconds.

Yea, that. I do think it's because he is always changing it....even when it was always spikes it was different shades/highlights/lengths, etc. Plus, whether he changes the style, or just grows his sideburns, or has stubble, it really does change his appearance.

Plus, there's the factor of fugly vs fashion plate. As in his dress, Clay can look a mess or look fantastic. It's amusing to see him with egg beater hair, or massage chair hair, or mohawk hair, or bubble cut hair. Like, what was he thinking! Then, he shows up with JBT hair, Tyra hair, or Grand Rapids hair, and it's like holeee shyte, GUH!

Plus, the disagreeing with friends about the hair is nearly a game for me. heee.

Question 5:

Yeah! I want him to be cute too! All.The.Time!

And I am a very visual person. Always have been with more than just Clay.