#24: Somewhere out there Clay is looking cute and talking with an accent and practicing a dance.

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title Poll  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• Who needs caffeine when we've got Clay Aiken?!
    • Regardless of how you figure it, Clay is indeed our Million Dollar Man and I'm his cheap ho.
    • MUST.HAVE.CLACK.OF.THE.MAN.IN.BLACK!!!!!!!!
    • That is a whole lot of pretty. Physically and vocally.
    • It never does wane because Mr. Clay Aiken continues to fascinate, delight, transform and bring it. He is one beautiful man.
    • The man can make me laugh and sah-woon at the same time.
    • He was "chatty and witty" until you get all up in his kool-aid...
    • Heeeee - I love it! A massive brain and big balls.
    • Clay Aiken goes for the Full Monty
    • Whatever this man sings, he offers something beautiful if you're willing to hear it.
    • TONIGHT'S THE KNIGHT! Knock 'em not-quite dead!

Oh, we tell ourselves (and others) lots and LOTS of things...we won't do this....we don't need that...we ain't going there...we mean it at the time. Really we do. But...KAndre looks around shiftily...Clay neeeeeeeeeeds me! Or it's all Scarlett's fault. Or I can stop anytime I want...I just don't wanna RIGHT now. Maybe tomorrow.

There is a great slide show but it goes too quickly .. anyone know how to slow it down? Some great pics there, including one of Clay kissing a baby - is that Quiana's baby? (Just found out from this board that Clay is the Godfather). Anyway, some great pics on that Slide show if only I can slow them down to see them properly as I see names I read about in this forum (Sean, Jamie etc) and I don't know what they look like.

Yes, she has it set to turn too quick for me too.

To get to the pictures: below the slideshow, you will see a box that says "View all Images". It will take you to the slideshow at slide.com, doubleclick on the picture (these ones are a little slower) and it will take you to the original hosting site, where you can save it in the original size or larger (see "View full size" bottom left of the picture).

Hope that helps!

ETA:....and yes, that is Quiana's Chamberlin.

Welcome, claytonic!!!

Oh, we tell ourselves (and others) lots and LOTS of things...we won't do this....we don't need that...we ain't going there...we mean it at the time. Really we do. But...KAndre looks around shiftily...Clay neeeeeeeeeeds me! Or it's all Scarlett's fault. Or I can stop anytime I want...I just don't wanna RIGHT now. Maybe tomorrow.

Yep, we really really mean it! :cryingwlaughter:

Time for more eHP conversations:

So, are we all squared away on rooms and transportation?

We might be changing some things on the fly on Sunday if the hotel rates drop but we won't be sleeping on the street.

Should I bring a laptop?

Only if you want to contribute to the small electronics convention in our rooms. There will be plenty of laptops if you don't feel like lugging yours around.

Lots of money for booze?

Half of us don't usually drink alcohol. We are just naturally disorderly without the drunken part. But we can always use the cash for bail if KAndre can't make nice with the authority figures. Really, it's not too late for you to run.

Okay, I know you guys have tickets to Friday night and Saturday night, but what are you doing Sunday? I have Friday night, Saturday night and I have a ticket to Sunday night. Anyone else?
I'm planning on seeing something other than Spamalot on Sunday. I'm going to try my luck at rush tickets for Wicked. If I don't win the lottery, then I'll head over to the TKTS booth and see what they have available. I think KAndre and Scarlett were planning on seeing Spamalot again on Sunday but I don't know if they were going for the matinee or the evening show.

I'm going to see Spamalot again? Why don't y'all tell me these things?

Clayzorback said:

That's why I like to look for people 's post that I know will give an honest opinion.

honest opinion? Do you honestly think that if people have a different opinion than you do - that they are lying? That's very interesting!

This is subjective stuff, after all.

I think Quiana really did a fabulous job - like others have said, no do-overs, no group of people hovering. I think Jennifer certainly deserved her Oscar, no mistake, but I am very impressed with Quiana, too. That kind of song is not really my thing, but then again, I don't expect everyone likes fado music or Lucinda Williams, so it's all good!

My dad was a Sing Along With Mitch addict, he had fun with it, I preferred his Yma Sumac and Spike Jones and Andrews Sisters albums. He hated my rock and roll music, HATED it. But I was not rebelling, I just liked it, AND liked some of his music, too.

There is a great slide show but it goes too quickly .. anyone know how to slow it down? Some great pics there, including one of Clay kissing a baby - is that Quiana's baby? (Just found out from this board that Clay is the Godfather). Anyway, some great pics on that Slide show if only I can slow them down to see them properly as I see names I read about in this forum (Sean, Jamie etc) and I don't know what they look like.

Yes, she has it set to turn too quick for me too.

To get to the pictures: below the slideshow, you will see a box that says "View all Images". It will take you to the slideshow at slide.com, doubleclick on the picture (these ones are a little slower) and it will take you to the original hosting site, where you can save it in the original size or larger (see "View full size" bottom left of the picture).

Hope that helps!

ETA:....and yes, that is Quiana's Chamberlin.

Thanks!! That worked perfectly.... and that other slide show (that I did not notice before) starring Chamberlin as he is now is gorgeous too!

sho

I am also drawn to the 'type' of music my parents listened to. Grew up with all the regular TV musical/variety shows, still miss them. My mom also enjoyed the music of the 60's, she was a huge Dave Clark 5 fan and now she enjoys Clay. They were a little more raw country music then I am, but we both enjoy lots of different stuff. (Later my kids introduced me to Vivaldi, Bach, Beethoven, etc Love it as well)

One of my fondest memories is from when I was 5, my dad worked second shift at the Chevy plant and we would meet him on Friday nights at midnight and head up to Traverse City, from Flint, to visit family for the weekend. I loved those summer drives. 2 in the morning, windows down on the car, smelling all the night time smells, hot asphalt, fields and farmland, exhaust fumes, most of the houses dark, but every so often one would be lit and you would wonder what was going on in that house, that someone was still up. On the radio.....the Grand Ole Opry....fadin' in and out. Now THAT was some twang!! My favorite was a song, called Bingo....I think

Bingo, bingo what cha gonna do-ie-o

Bingo, bingo, where ya gonna go-ie-o

Bingo, bingo does you momma know

You're going down the road, to see a little girl-ie-o

My mom still remembers the song, but for the life of us, we have no idea who sang it.

Welcome Claytonic.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet for instance, I am not really a member of the eHP. It really is a faux merrieeee you see! I don't get into any trouble with them! No not me! Why it has to be the other merrieeee the one that spells her name wrong! (Too many eeeeee's) :whistling-1:

By the way was it Kandre that came up with the name eHP ? It does not describe those angelic ladies at all!!! :cryingwlaughter:

The first music I ever listened to was Ghananian Highlife music. I loved and played it all the time until my Mum told me I had worn it out and it was damaging the record player. Hmmm!

The first record I ever bought was a guy called Johnny Tillotson...something about a pillow and tears I think. So I don't think my early music tastes influenced my current tastes at all. I still hate the Beatles! Oh yeah where is keepingfaith?

HE BLOGGED

This happens to me a lot in this fandom. Fans will rave and rave about some clack, and then when you go watch it, it is a real letdown. That's why I like to look for people 's post that I know will give an honest opinion. I am not a fan of scream singers or over melisma singers either.

But, but....I did state my honest opinion. I honestly love Quiana's voice, I honestly prefer her version to J. Hudson's. I dont' like her just because Clay does, although without Clay I would have never known about her. I'm grateful that he 'introduced' her to me. I think it's unfortunate that because she doesn't have 'the look' that we probably won't be hearing a lot about her on TV and radio. IMO, she's an amazing talent. But then again, I'm a fan of cheesy, bombastic glory notes and OTT mellisma (sp).

There was always music in my house when we were growing up; my mom always had the stereo going so us kids got used to listening to what my parents listened to and that was usually big band music, musicals and vocalists like Frank Sinatra, Perry Como, Barbra Streisand, etc. and classical musical. Whatever my Mom was in the mood to listen too and sometimes that included Christmas Music in the summer. So that was the kind of music I have always been drawn too...even when I discovered the radio and started listening to the local radio stations; ................So given my background, when I hear singing like Fantasia or Quiana's song in Dreamgirls and sometimes even Angie at times, to me it sounds like scream singing. I wasn't trying to be offensve or put it down, it is just not my taste. And I really do think our tastes in all things are pretty much bases on our backgrounds and what we grew up with.

Kim

I agree. My absolute favorite female vocalist from the time since I was three years old was Dinah Washington. Anyone remember her? "September in the Rain"? From my earliest memory my mother listened almost exclusively to the black female vocalists of the time. My favorite CD in my collection is one that I made myself, a compilation I called "Ladies Sing the Blues" with Dinah Washington, Etta James, Billie Holliday, Lena Horne, Ella Fitzgerald, Della Reese. These are the songs of my childhood, (along with Preservation Hall jazz) I knew all the words even though I didn't understand the meaning. But the raw-emotion, the wailing, gut-wrenching, heart-breaking sound has stayed with me and it's still what I prefer today. I'm sure that's why Quiana is one of my favorite parts of any Clay concert when she cuts loose and lets it wail.

So given my background, when I hear singing like Fantasia or Quiana's song in Dreamgirls and sometimes even Angie at times, to me it sounds like scream singing. I wasn't trying to be offensve or put it down, it is just not my taste. And I really do think our tastes in all things are pretty much bases on our backgrounds and what we grew up with.

Kim

KAndre I match what you said. I grew up listening to mostly gospel music and soul music. The only other time I was really into music was 80s pop. Then I dropped out. So I can really relate to the style that Fanny and JHud and Ang and Quiana sing. I know Fantasia is really an acquired taste, either you love or hate her. I love her and think she has so much talent - the person in the past that she reminds me most of is old time Tina Turner. Talk about a screecher. LOL. Well I think Fanny is that good and she gets better each year as she learns to control that emotion and passion on stage - all that comes right from the church. Clay totally is my anomaly -- well I can put him into my 80s foray category. Funny I think he's better suited for every other musical era but I'm so glad he's hear right here and now. He's just so special and it's been so fun to follow his career.

I've posted 1,000 times! Gadz. Think of all those edits.

heeee

I always post my honest opinion; never have been one to sugar coat things or say something just because it is the politically correct thing to say...not always welcome on message boards. I may hold back at times and not post every reaction to a Clay performance, etc.; because I also believe in the credo "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything". Sometimes that takes me out of a conversation and I have to back off when I feel the direction is moving towards over criticial and not just voicing an opinion.

Kim

HE BLOGGED

Don't you just want to lick him senseless hug him and tell him he'll be swell?

I see y'all have figured out Quiana's slide show, so you probably don't need these pictures that I've rummaged around and found in my photobucket, but I'll post them anyway.

Clay with Quiana's baby, shortly after Chamberlain was born.

UncleClay.jpg

Clay and Quiana at the Tonight Show, Sept. 2006

LenoCQ091506.jpg

The Group from Summer 2007. Jesse, the pianist and musical director is in the blue shirt, and Sean (the Little Drummer Boy) is in the pinkish shirt.

AshevilleDCAT9.jpg

Love his blog! So casual and friendly and comfy...complete with spelling and syntax errors 'coss he just wrote it and didn't worry about all that stuff. Love it. Love him.

It's a good thing that we all do hear music subjectively, isn't it? Otherwise, there'd only BE one kind of music to enjoy. It's like appreciating colors. I've always wondered if the shade of red I see is exactly the same shade of red that you see when we look at the same thing. And then I realize that I'll never know. How the hell would we ever know that? I think music is the same way. We're hearing the same note from that person, but how will we ever know that our ears hear the exact same thing?

I think all the people named in the last pages are very, very talented singers. I'm not a FAN of the kind of singing some of them do, but I acknowledge the skill and talent needed to sing it! I have preferences, just as we all do. I'm not a fan of the kind of singing Fantasia does. I think J. Hudson is amazing, but sometimes her vibrato annoys me. Billie Holiday's voice is unique and I wonder if I hadn't known her life story when I heard it, if I would have warmed to it as much as I did.

As for Q&A, it's the tone of Q's voice that---to my tastes---makes me favor her voice over Angela's. I hear harsh, screechy tones from A more than I do Q and the richer, fuller tones are more pleasing to my ears. I don't think that screechy means emotive or 'feelin' it'...I think screechy means screechy! :cryingwlaughter: Quiana is a very emotive singer and seems to be able to do more with her voice than Angela. That being said, I really loved Angela's "Listen" during DCAT. It was great hearing her singing with a more subtle approach. The end was amazing, of course, but I liked the softer, beginning part of the song better!

Yippee! So happy Clay was in Raleigh and could enjoy himself. And I hope that whoever got a picture of him without being noticed didn't use a flash and gets it uploaded really fast! :whistling-1:

Joined this board recently (note--still a dog walker). Feel dumb asking this, but what does "eHP" mean?

Know what you mean about having different opinions of what sounds good--people were raving about MGUCL--the CITH version where Quiana and Angela sang it with Clay. Didn't like it at all--much preferred the version with just Clay.

Someone was mentioning Open Arms and the version where he sang it with Kelley during the Independent Tour. I have it only because I enjoying hearing the crowd totally go NUTS when Clay joins her. It's in my iPod--have never seen the video of it.

Joined this board recently (note--still a dog walker). Feel dumb asking this, but what does "eHP" mean?

Know what you mean about having different opinions of what sounds good--people were raving about MGUCL--the CITH version where Quiana and Angela sang it with Clay. Didn't like it at all--much preferred the version with just Clay.

Someone was mentioning Open Arms and the version where he sang it with Kelley during the Independent Tour. I have it only because I enjoying hearing the crowd totally go NUTS when Clay joins her. It's in my iPod--have never seen the video of it.

HOnestly, there will ALWAYS be differences of opinions about what's good. There is no right answer whether you are in the minority or majority opinion. I certainly never mind having a minority opinion ever. THat's just life. I didn't like any of the open arms with Kelly and Clay but being in the audience when he came out to join her was always electric. I didn't like Clay's new version of MGUCL this year so was thrilled as hell on the final show when I noticed on the first line of the song that he was going to sing it differently and I went bonkers when it turned into a trio. It wasn't perfection but it was special because it was different and it was something they pulled together. I really wish they had time to fine tune it over the course of the tour.

I guess I should go to work. I just have to keep remembering NYC NYC NYC.

"eHP" - stand for the evil Houston Posse - of which merrieeee is a charter member, for, ahem, good reason. Many of us are capable of looking and acting innocent for short periods of time. We don't all live in Houston - and are more of a gang than a posse, but we try to be inconspicuous. And avoid initiation rites. They just sort of happen. No matter what Clay says, we can occasionally behave. It doesn't happen often, but we have witnesses.

In my opinion, this is most definitely a case where Clack cannot and does not do it justice. It wasn't about the vocals, it was about the moment, and the look of pride and joy on Clay's face when it was over, and the surprise of it happening. It was among the best moments I've had so far in this fandom, and I count myself extremely lucky to have been there. So when I rave about it (and I have, did and will again!!) it's because of the sum of the parts.

And yep - that's my honest opinion. ;-) Does it only have weight if I didn't enjoy something?

Will have to find the video of MGUCL from CITH with the girls because I only downloaded the audio.

After what cindilu2 just said, I have to SEE it.

My favorite MGUCL has always been the one he did on GMA a few years back. Remember just wishing that he would record it.

Love the one on AIW, but there's still something special about the GMA one for me. Maybe because I had never heard the song before, maybe because my VCR screwed up and didn't record it and I thought I was never going to actually hear it.

I was on dial-up at the time and could get audios, but no videos. But, by some Christmas miracle, when I tried to download the audio, I ended up with about 75% of the video. I set it up to download overnight and went to bed. When I woke up, there it was in all its beauty and glory. Love Clay's voice when there is just a soft piano in the background.

This happens to me a lot in this fandom. Fans will rave and rave about some clack, and then when you go watch it, it is a real letdown. That's why I like to look for people 's post that I know will give an honest opinion. I am not a fan of scream singers or over melisma singers either.

But, but....I did state my honest opinion. I honestly love Quiana's voice, I honestly prefer her version to J. Hudson's. I dont' like her just because Clay does, although without Clay I would have never known about her. I'm grateful that he 'introduced' her to me. I think it's unfortunate that because she doesn't have 'the look' that we probably won't be hearing a lot about her on TV and radio. IMO, she's an amazing talent. But then again, I'm a fan of cheesy, bombastic glory notes and OTT mellisma (sp).

This is me too, Bookwhore, I have the DVD of Dreamgirls, I have watched a couple of times. I thought J Hudson did a great job in the movie, I was happy she won the Oscar and felt she deserved it. I still like Quiana's version better. I don't think I even realized how much I liked Quiana's voice until I heard her sing MGUCL in 2005. I was in the Chicago theater and while she was singing I got goose bumps and the hair stood up on my arms. It was an involuntary and honest reaction. The same thing happened when she sang IWALY in the JBT. I understand and respect that others may not feel the same way, and I believe their opinion is no less honest than mine.

Now after all that I'll add, I'm not sure I'd love a whole CD of Quiana singing that style of song, but I think she can dial it back when she wants to, and in the end I prefer Clay's MGUCL to her's because it is more in keeping with the style of music I usually gravitate to, but I'll still give her props on her version.

Clayzorback said:

That's why I like to look for people 's post that I know will give an honest opinion.

honest opinion? Do you honestly think that if people have a different opinion than you do - that they are lying? That's very interesting!

This is subjective stuff, after all.

I think Quiana really did a fabulous job - like others have said, no do-overs, no group of people hovering. I think Jennifer certainly deserved her Oscar, no mistake, but I am very impressed with Quiana, too. That kind of song is not really my thing, but then again, I don't expect everyone likes fado music or Lucinda Williams, so it's all good!

My dad was a Sing Along With Mitch addict, he had fun with it, I preferred his Yma Sumac and Spike Jones and Andrews Sisters albums. He hated my rock and roll music, HATED it. But I was not rebelling, I just liked it, AND liked some of his music, too.

No. I don't think that everyone that doesn't have the same opinion as me is wrong in their opinion, or lying. That comes across as insulting, but I am going to assume you did not mean it to be. There are certain fans that will never ever be objective to anything Clay does. They will never see anything wrong with anything he or the "girls" do. No matter if it was good or not. That is their right. These are the fans I am talking about and they are not necessarily on this board, but on lots of boards. So, I have learned to try and seek out people's opinion who I feel have a history of being more objective. I have read enough in this fandom to know which posters I feel are a bit more objective in their opinions, when I want to get a feel for something. I am big on free speech and everyone having their own opinion. Sorry if you felt I was calling you or anybody a liar. That is simply not true.

Johnny Tillotson? :cryingwlaughter: Boy merrieeee, you are dating yourself honey. Me too because I can also remember him. Just for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=331vG3EMo2w

Now I need to run over and read Clay's blog.

ETA: To express my thoughts more clearly. Also to change the word honest to objective, because that is a better word for what I meant.

From the NC Theatre Dreamgirls program:

QUIANA PARLER* (Effie White) cut her teeth singing at her grandmother' s church in Harleysville, S.C. and acting as "the only little black girl" in the Dock Street Theatre's production of "Annie". She also spent five years performing at the Carolina Opry in Myrtle Beach. After years of being one of the most sought after vocalists in the South Carolina Low Country, in 2003 she parlayed a placement in the Top 48 of season two of the Fox hit "American Idol" into the gig she is most known to Triangle audiences for: touring vocalist with Raleigh's Clay Aiken. In addition to touring with Aiken, she has shared the stage with a diverse array of national artists ranging from Keith Sweat to Kelly Clarkson. She can be heard on albums by Clay Aiken, Bianca Ryan and Renee Olstead, and has recorded with some of the industry's most respected producers: Walter Afanasieff and David Foster. She has performed on Saturday Night Live, The View, NBC's Today Show, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Good Morning America, Tyra and numerous other national television programs. Quiana lives in Charleston with her beautiful 18 month old son, Chamberlin."

cindilu2, definitely agree re MGUCL...it was phenomenal! I was thrilled to be there for another one of those "moments". My other favourite-ever moment is being present (and dead....) for "Beautiful Star", and hearing Papa cheer him on behind me.

See, I look at that blurb and it's very nice - but it's also why no one's press release impresses me. They tend to be full of puffery and make things like, "recorded with some of the industry's most respected producers: Walter Afanasieff and David Foster" sound like she had an album with them.

Posts? As long as they don't annoy the fuck out of me, I'll read them all. If someone says, "oooo, that note in AIW was wonderful, because it proved he doesn't lip sync", I don't think it makes it dishonest - just delusional. I think I have a tough standard for dishonesty (which is a really emotion-laden word) - I have to know someone really doesn't believe what they are posting. And frankly, I tend to believe that the "blowing vanilla-scented smoke up your butt" crowd, really does believe most of what Clay does is rainbows and unicorns, as opposed to the "if Clay gave me a billion dollars, I'd have to inspect it for cooties" crowd, because some have admitted to be instigators. I occasionally like to read either or both and mock.

I don't think I can name a genre of music that I can't pick out an example of that I like. I might dislike 98% of it, but that 2% I like totally rocks! I just get picky at implications that some genres aren't music or have no redeeming value.