#26: "Irreverent, surprisingly fearless, a total delight and a surprise!"

Ansamcw

Thread title poll  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title on the FCA board?

• I'm considering running for President!
    • Ya' gotta give me somethin', honey!
    • The man's a joy magnet!

E and I are off to see the touring production of Phantom of the Opera today. Neither of us has ever seen it. Should be fun.

Ooooooh! I hope you love it as much as I did. One of my favorite shows ever! Of course, I've yet to see Spamalot.... :cryingwlaughter:

Wanna know the story behind Annabear's pix of young Clay with the balloons? I was a member of a private board back then, and the person in charge sent Clay flowers and gifts on special occasions. The envelope he is holding contains a disposable camera for someone to take a picture and return to sender. He did, and that pix has become a fixture in Clay Cyberspace. :lol:

How cool! Thanks, Caro. I've always loved that pic & it's nice to have the story behind it. By the way, Kai is a cutie in his spiffy GAP duds! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I'm not bothering with angst or conspiracy theories. I'm here to enjoy Clay Aiken. Two months from today, I'll be arriving in NYC..... EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! :twinklewhore:

th_Cind_3.jpg

Double clickable by Cindilu2

Have a super new week, all! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Oh, wow, thanks for this wallpaper! cindilu2 has been holding out on us. This looks great on my new laptop. :)

OK, I didn't think it could get any better this morning (and thanks so much for all the birthday wishes!) but my kids just presented me with a new, 80 gb classic iPod. Holy shit! :thbighug-1:

Can someone give me the Cliff notes version of what the angsting is about?

Chapter 1

RCA IS EVIL!!!!!!!

They hate Clay!!!!!

They want to ruin his career!!!!

Bookwhore, I only read about 3 posts at my old haunt before I backed out as quickly as I could, so my theory could be incorrect here. But I think you've pretty much summed it up with this one sentence, actually. There are some that feel that we should have news from RCA about now regarding the album, since Clay has mentioned the May date. They are expecting information handed on a silver platter, and since it's not coming from RCA....well, can you fill out there rest? In a way, it's back to "same old same old." Oh, and I think some feel that since RCA hasn't said anything, the album probably won't be released in May.

From what I have seen, it is just the same stuff....worrying about promotion or the lack there of, worrying about radio play...support from RCA and Clive...I think a lot of it was because of the picture of Clive and his class of 2008 in People Magazine and Clay was not included.

Kim

I'm living for the day when I can go to messageboards without the daily dose of "RCA is evil."

Drives me berserk.

Isn't this what is known in some circles as "the gerbil wheel"? :cryingwlaughter::herewegoagin:

When I was growing up, I bought a lot of albums, but I never knew (or cared) who the producers were, what the artist's "musical vision" was, whether there was a "cohesive narrative" throughout the album, or what the artist's PR/marketing was like. :whatever: If I heard a song that I liked well enough, I'd buy the album. If I found that I really liked the artist, I'd go back to find any older offerings and buy them, or any that they put out in the future. The only thing I think is missing from that scenario now is radio play, or an appropriate alternative so that Clay's music can be heard by a large cross-section of people. But, I'm no "expert", so I don't pretend to have any answers.

:bday2: to luckiest1!

I still have hopes that Clay might get some other TV roles out of the Spamalot gig, especially since the writers' strike has been settled and some of the shows are going back into production. C'mon Tina Fey! Write a part for Clay on 30 Rock - either as himself or as a character.

My version of kf's fantasy? Well, I don't think Letterman will advertise that Clay's going to be on SNL (competing networks, dontchaknow?), but I would love to see him on Letterman one week, SNL the next week. But you know what I'm really hoping for, and I think could happen soon?!?!? Clay appearing on The Daily Show. With the writer's strike now over, good guests such as Clay would be more than willing to appear on the show, publicizing him in Spamalot. Right?! RIGHT!?!?!?!?

OTOH...I'm not good at the speculating game, all that much. I like saying "that could happen" but past that....heck, there's been such much belief on some things that were just speculation that I tend to try to keep HOPING but not speculating.

*shrug*

Now that Hannah is feeling better and Clay has settled into his part, I wonder if TPTB at Spamalot are going to "invite" the critics to a show.

Or do they even bother reviewing a three-year-old show just because of cast changes?

And that's as far into the future as I'm going to speculate!

I still have hopes that Clay might get some other TV roles out of the Spamalot gig, especially since the writers' strike has been settled and some of the shows are going back into production. C'mon Tina Fey! Write a part for Clay on 30 Rock - either as himself or as a character.

I agree. I think we'll get new music and other roles for Clay. Actually, I feel really confident that Clay's phone is ringing off the wall.

th_Cind_3.jpg

Double clickable by Cindilu2

Have a super new week, all! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Oh, wow, thanks for this wallpaper! cindilu2 has been holding out on us. This looks great on my new laptop. :)

OK, I didn't think it could get any better this morning (and thanks so much for all the birthday wishes!) but my kids just presented me with a new, 80 gb classic iPod. Holy shit! :thbighug-1:

cindilu... love the wallpaper!!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

luckiest... I think your name fits today! That's awesome that your kids got that for you! Kewl!!!

Ain't that the truth!! It gets a bit tiring after about two minutes... I know extrapolating is "what the fans do", but I think the problem is that too many people may be like me the first time around and actually think, wow, these people exude so much confidence in their statements that they must know what they're talking about. I've learned that whatever I read is simply that person's opinion and nothing more... basically, I say most of them are just "good bullshitters". And I should add, that here I see people talking about what might happen but it's all in fun and just discussing, not trying to sound like you're the font of all information and must be believed...

see bolded

I think part of the problem was that not only did these people speak confidently...but so many of them work in or around the business...of numbers, music, publicist, writers, singers, etc. and the rest of us were grasping at straws and took to heart what they had to say. Now we know enough to take it with yet another grain of salt and hope for the best.

The only sure thing seems to be that there is another CD coming! YAY!! 83136200-S.gif

Wishing you the Happiest of Birthdays, Luckiest1!!

Oh, Luckiest...........

HappyBirthday001.jpgbirthday_48.gif

Gerbil wheel,, Jamar, you forgot one part - Expense is no problem in ruining Clay's career, they will spend any amount! I think that people forget that most people on labels are not super stars. That Heather Headley is still on the label, even if we don't hear about her every day. We love Clay and that makes him special to us, but not to the many others out there, who just know the name and nothing else and don't want to know anything else (could not give a CD to my brother, he would not have a Clay Aiken CD in his collection.)

Ain't that the truth!! It gets a bit tiring after about two minutes... I know extrapolating is "what the fans do", but I think the problem is that too many people may be like me the first time around and actually think, wow, these people exude so much confidence in their statements that they must know what they're talking about. I've learned that whatever I read is simply that person's opinion and nothing more... basically, I say most of them are just "good bullshitters". And I should add, that here I see people talking about what might happen but it's all in fun and just discussing, not trying to sound like you're the font of all information and must be believed...

see bolded

I think part of the problem was that not only did these people speak confidently...but so many of them work in or around the business...of numbers, music, publicist, writers, singers, etc. and the rest of us were grasping at straws and took to heart what they had to say. Now we know enough to take it with yet another grain of salt and hope for the best.

The only sure thing seems to be that there is another CD coming! YAY!! 83136200-S.gif

Wishing you the Happiest of Birthdays, Luckiest1!!

Well, I agree except I think most people have a bit of BS in them.

It is refreshing that a lot of us are looking at this album with fresh eyes and a lot less confidence in those dreaded "insiders". That was all a nightmare and I think there were people that were listening to fraudulent info. from questionable sources. I'm going to try to take this one light and easy and expect a different outcome with new music.

Happy Birthday luckiest1!!!

I have to scroll past the speculations. Although I don't understand the RCA attitude toward Clay's career because it doesn't make much sense to me, I figure Clay has his ducks lined up and he knows where he is and where he is going. I enjoy watching it all unfold and so far, with the exception of that mess in 2006, I have been pleasantly surprised by all that has happened for Clay. He seems to be able to rise from the ashes of lost opportunities and bring it every time. I saw that on AI2 as well. I think he is blessed with the ability to always land on those big feet. Whenever the CD drops, I'll get my few and enjoy the voice of the century. Until then, I'm thoroughly loving what he is doing and who he is rubbing shoulders with. This man has opportunities ahead and I have no doubt that he will be around for as long as he wants to be. He is a star.

Intermission report from toni and scarlett

Just heard from toni!

Theatre is sold out and SRO appears to be sold out as well.

Clay was very funny during Knights of the Round Table. He said "bring it home to daddy!" Gahhhhh!!!

While he was standing to the side with one of the other knights (maybe Lancelot) he lifted his leg twice and kicked his leg so high toni said they could see right up his tunic!

Clay turned to the other knight then and said "she can really swing!"

Clay was rocking on Find Your Grail and had a cute little smirk.

Lots of tongue during slo-mo...he was "perfect".

During the French chasing scene, Clay was the last knight on the stage and he let out the loudest, cutest scream.

There was an older couple from NY behind them and the man said to his wife that "this is the best show we've seen". She said, "better than Rent, which we love?" He said "Much better. I think he'll be here until May". EEEEEEE!!! I love that! I guess they'll be going back!

Lots of fans but the majority is NJU folks.

It is cold and windy. toni hopes he'll do the stage door. She'll try to call me later if she has time.

And to add another recap...

from HopelesslyDevoted at the CB.

OMG...where to begin!

I just got back from one of the funnest weekends evah! Spent it with 12 of my bestest claybuds who traveled in from all over the country! It was so great to be with everyone! (Just wait til you see Madame President's stage door pics from the sat matinee!! )

I just LOVE the 'shimmy shoulders' move he does with the camelot dancers!!! and when he imitates them swinging around those spiky coconuts it's just sooo funny!!!

It is so fun to be able to pick up little things in the play you can't catch the first time around..one thing I noticed that just kinda cracked me up for some reason is the rubber chicken has this rod thing sticking out of the bottom. When patsy puts down the fake fire pit during the 'all for one number', he ends up sticking the end of the chicken in it...so the chicken is standing straight up in the fire pit....I dont know why but that just cracked me up!

During the 'coconut malfunction' Clay handled it so well...it just flew off the string and rolled into the orchestra pit....he just banged the other half with his hand...during the finale you could see him laughing about it with the orchestra conductor....too funny...on sat night during the killer rabbit scene...I could have sworn he almost said a line too early..he started to say "you"..then quickly went right into "what does he do...nibble your bum?"..then looked at sir galahad like....'whoops....phew!' and laughed

D101 was picked all 3 times....I dont think the lady who was picked sat afternoon had a clue what was going to happen....I think the lady sat night was a little more enthusiastic to be there...I think she had a clay spamalot button on (?) but am not sure as I was all the way in the back...

After the finale song Clay does this cute little 'jumpy' thing as the curtain goes down....he just looks so happy to be there and like he is having the time of his life!

I was able to do the stage door friday night and sat afternoon...friday night was my first time and it was fabulous! We were able to get right up to the gate. he looked oh so handsome in that gorgeous green sweater...chatty and happy. He stayed by our spot for quite a while...just to clarify something hippoga said....

We were close to the stage door end and someone told him as he passed by that they could see him breathing when he was supposed to be dead. He looked at the lady beside me and told her "who asked for their opinion" and as he said it, he looked at me and winked! There was a lady behind me who was trying to chat with him and get his attention and at one point she said...."Clay, you were really great in everything except one thing...you were still breathing when you were dead" (paraphrased) and he turns to her in pure clay snark with his quick witted timing and said..."How bout we kill you now and see if you're still breathing!" BWAH!...gotta love him....then he turns and said 'who asked them'...thats the look he is making in that amazing pic by MP I was able to get my playbill signed...I told him 'thank you clay that was the funniest thing I have ever seen!' and he said 'well, thank you very much' *sigh* Jerome was in a really great mood too...very happy. Sat matinee's line was REALLY crowded....I was towards the back getting pushed by some very 'enthusiastic' teenage girls ...but I guess glad to see them there...lots of guys in the line too....Clay looked gorgeous but no coat!! It was freezing!! He seemed less chatty and more serious, but it there were alot of things being shoved at him to sign...

Between the two shows we ate at John's pizzeria and who walks in at around 7 but Sir Galahad! He sat at a table right near us with a bunch of people...the whole place burst into applause when he walked in...it was fun....I cant say enough about the other actors in this play...they are all hysterically funny and extremely talented...I brought my husband sat night and he LOVED it...he loved clay's 'drunk guard' scene...it was SUCH a fun weekend Im going to have a hard time coming back to reality!

Oh and the theater was packed all weekend! All the SRO's were sold out sat night! Great audience participation during each show....tons of laughter and standing O's at the end!

He's such a quick wit. I love him.

Eh, I've already read plenty of quotes about the new CD that came directly from Clay himself in recent interviews and in last year's M&Gs, so I don't really feel like I need to indulge in any fan-wanking about it. Clay says he hopes for May, and the timing sure seems good with Spam ending, the AI finale, May sweeps and whatnot, so I'll stick with that until an "official" source says something different.

He seems to be able to rise from the ashes of lost opportunities and bring it every time. I saw that on AI2 as well. I think he is blessed with the ability to always land on those big feet. Whenever the CD drops, I'll get my few and enjoy the voice of the century. Until then, I'm thoroughly loving what he is doing and who he is rubbing shoulders with. This man has opportunities ahead and I have no doubt that he will be around for as long as he wants to be. He is a star.
skybar...you are me! (be afraid.....be vurra, vurra afraid... :cryingwlaughter: )

Eh, I've already read plenty of quotes about the new CD that came directly from Clay himself in recent interviews and in last year's M&Gs, so I don't really feel like I need to indulge in any fan-wanking about it. Clay says he hopes for May, and the timing sure seems good with Spam ending, the AI finale, May sweeps and whatnot, so I'll stick with that until an "official" source says something different.

yeah, that, too! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I wanna see/hear Clay saying "bring it home to daddy, baby!"

:Thud:

After show report from toni and scarlett

Quiana was there and Clay brought her out the stage door. She stood by the door and waved to everyone. Her hair was shorter.

The show rocked...of course!

Big ovation and lots of cheers during the bottle dance.

The Knights of Ni did a thing about Kosovo and were waving a flag. The king and Clay almost lost it becuase it was so funny.

During the finale and Always Look On the Bright Side, Clay, Christopher, and Lancelot were standing to the side doing a cute little dance together. toni said it lasted about 15 seconds and they were moving side to side and clapping. The three of them were in sync so it was something they'd planned. Sounds very cute!

Clay was jumping up and down and side to side over and over during the finale and he did his salute.

At the stage door, Clay was wearing a gray Kentucky sweatshirt and jeans. His hair looked very good! The crowd was big and Clay signed lots of things. toni got about six pictures but can't post them until she gets home.

Bah humbug, row C center tickets just showed up for 4/26, but the person said they were premium. So sad, but that is the way the cookie crumbles. I need to do some work and stop checking resale tickets. Take dog for walk before big storm - thats the ticket, She is about to chew my chair off.

Speaking of premium tickets, it cracks me up that Spamalot premium tickets are currently $251.50, and for some reason, starting May 6th, the prices drop down to $176.50. Wonder why that is? :whistling-1:

Seriously, is it worth an extra $75.00 to see this up close and personal? :lilredani:

thbottledancefromspamalot.gif

Boy, had a lot of page to catch up on. Been one of those weeks. Was involved in a little auto accident on Wednesday on snow covered roads, our trip to North Carolina was cancelled because my Husband's boss called and emergency meeting and the only flight out not full was earlier that day.

I read elsewhere about the CD speculation again. I learned to not pay attention and thus will not get upset. I was really oblivious to all the angst last time. Did not join the OFC till after the CD came out thus missed most of the drama. Thank goodness. I refuse to get caught up in it.

I am loving all the after the show pictures and the few short clips on the varies FOX stations. This will be my only look at him. There still is no way I can justify going, so I will enjoy all the recaps.

So glad to see Quiana was there today; I bet he was delighted and so was she! Love that he has such a close relationship with Q and A and others. Hope he has the opportunity to attend her performance tomorrow night, and spend some quality time while she's in NYC.

Oh thank god, we won't have to cut her off our list :cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter:

well i've slept the day away and it felt pretty good.

ok...I'm lost. What does this mean?

Hope he has the opportunity to attend her performance tomorrow night
She has a performance in NYC? :huh:

Just spent mumblemumble time going through the mail---or should I say, junk mail. It's truly obscene the amount of paper sent out unsolicited every freakin' day. I remember hearing at some point that the US Postal Service is not particularly interested in seeing that amount lessen, either, because the companies that send it pay them big money to do so.

Figures. $$ seems to be the bottom line for so many things/people/situations.

Pisses me off since I don't have much of it. <_<

First indoor soccer game of the season for older daughter today! Are we surprised that it happens to be at the same time as AI Rewind?

Why no....we're not. :rolleyes: