#29: EEEEEEEEEEEE!!! It's really happening!

Couch Tomato

What should be the next thread title at FCA?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title on the FCA board?

• Ah, nothing left but the finale - and Clay's incredible career.
    • I am so obsessed. He's altered my DNA. I'm sure of it.
    • Hold on...you're going on a great and long ride!
    • I'd go with Godzilla if it meant I could see Clay even one more time in Spamalot.
    • Yes I'm babbling. What can I say? He makes me happy.
    • Clay has the vitality of the Energizer bunny...
    • Just the Clay parts first. His parts are FINE as WINE and all move..... varra varra nicely!
    • He loves us as we love him--unconditionally.
    • Today's Clay is hawt, polished, multi-faceted...
    • Faith has conquered fear...on my way here!
    • The man is a magnet. A super magnet.
    • Clay will always be Clayton, too.
    • I want it all and I want it now!
    • He is going to kill us all.
    • Can I move to ClayAikenville?
    • Whenever, wherever, I'll be there.

Hee...I'm a naughty naughty girl.. :naughtywag: I've been listening to OMWH on QuickTime and messing with the controls. I've listened to it in a lower pitch (I like) and then slower and then faster (sorta like the just barely faster pace, but the slower one was pretty funny)...It's kewl to hear CLay's voice doing all these gymnastics. :cryingwlaughter:

But in the end I'm back to the way he decided to sing it...and I'm listening through my good headphones and I'm in love with the man who sings such words with such sincerity and beauty.

Sigh.

Re: bonus song? Seems everybody's thinking "Kyrie"...I'll take it, of course, but ding dang it! How about...."Tears Run Dry"...? I LOVE that song...He didn't consult me, however, sooooooo <_<

Ok, I finally went to YouTube to listen to Ryan Tedder's version of OMWH.

Yes, his (not all that great IMO) vocals are more front and center.

Yes, the arrangement is a bit simpler.

And yes, there are soaring violins - albeit a bit more in the background.

And it is MUCH slower than Clay's.

So, is it edgier because Tedder's vocals are rougher? Because the arrangement is a bit simpler - despite the soaring violins?

Or because Tedder is one of the cool kids and Clay isn't?

You know, on my mumbleymumbley-eth listen, my major criticism of Clay's version is it is almost too pretty. Yes, I still prefer his voice a bit lower and yes I still think the strings are a might over powering at times.

But you know, its just soooooo pretty. Not sure if I can explain why I find that a fault.

I think it may be too pretty for the radio and definitely too pretty to be cool.

But I really love it. :wub:

**Pets OMWH lovingly.....Don't hate it because it's pretty!**

My favorite line...... I found that standing still can quickly make a lifetime disappear.

Something I am guilty of letting happen and something I need to try and remember every day....

ETA: Bonus track? I would love Kyrie but what about JY? My lovely and forgotten JY??? *sniff*

And merrieeee, don't look!

Clay's picture and a link to the audio is on the rotating banner on the main page of the Popeater website. They used the Unicef snowflake lighting picture.

I just want to stand and cheer and shout and jump up and down and dance.

F*%k all those who don't. :wordpooper:

Here's an interesting comment from Popeater. I was over there scrolling through all of the OMGs and EEEEEs. I kinda like to read some of the posts that seem to be from REAL people - not big fans and not haters. This one struck me. Who knows if it's legit, I hope it is:

403. Let me admit something. I'm a law student who looks at most things matter of factly. I have a tough exterior and don't let too many people in, save my fiance. I've enjoyed all kinds of popular music, Clay Aiken's style not being one of my favorites. One day I was driving home after a particularly long and trying day and Aiken's "Solitaire" came on the radio. I don't know what overcame me, but by the end of it, I was tearing up. Something about his delivery and the theme of the song really got to me. Ever since that day, I've kind of kept up with Aiken's career. I discovered some songs I liked and some I didn't. I wouldn't call myself a full-fledged "fan" but I do like him personally (he's the balls on talk shows) and sometimes enjoy some of his tunes. I'm a huge Python addict, so a trip this spring to finally see "Spamalot" was inevitable, but spurred by Aiken joining the cast and getting great reviews. My fiance alerted me to this preview, as she likes him, too. Knowing some of the things Aiken has put up with over the years, I found this song quite touching. It's clear he connects with the sentiment and it shows in his heartfelt delivery. Which makes these few postings that claim he sings without emotion so ridiculous. I'm a grown man and not supposed to cry, especially over such trivial things as a pop song. But Aiken's "Solitaire" made me cry. So did his own penned "Lover All Alone." Today, so did this. When the song is personal to Aiken, there is no one like him.

Here's an interesting comment from Popeater. I was over there scrolling through all of the OMGs and EEEEEs. I kinda like to read some of the posts that seem to be from REAL people - not big fans and not haters. This one struck me. Who knows if it's legit, I hope it is:

403. Let me admit something. I'm a law student who looks at most things matter of factly. I have a tough exterior and don't let too many people in, save my fiance. I've enjoyed all kinds of popular music, Clay Aiken's style not being one of my favorites. One day I was driving home after a particularly long and trying day and Aiken's "Solitaire" came on the radio. I don't know what overcame me, but by the end of it, I was tearing up. Something about his delivery and the theme of the song really got to me. Ever since that day, I've kind of kept up with Aiken's career. I discovered some songs I liked and some I didn't. I wouldn't call myself a full-fledged "fan" but I do like him personally (he's the balls on talk shows) and sometimes enjoy some of his tunes. I'm a huge Python addict, so a trip this spring to finally see "Spamalot" was inevitable, but spurred by Aiken joining the cast and getting great reviews. My fiance alerted me to this preview, as she likes him, too. Knowing some of the things Aiken has put up with over the years, I found this song quite touching. It's clear he connects with the sentiment and it shows in his heartfelt delivery. Which makes these few postings that claim he sings without emotion so ridiculous. I'm a grown man and not supposed to cry, especially over such trivial things as a pop song. But Aiken's "Solitaire" made me cry. So did his own penned "Lover All Alone." Today, so did this. When the song is personal to Aiken, there is no one like him.

:oh:

:blink:

:em0400: especially the bolded part

AT LAST! I have just listened to OMWH several times and I just love it!! my oh my... I realize there are other good singers around but I can only listen to one song at a time and I know whose song I want on repeat on my MP3 and blaring out of my speakers! :00000441:

Thank you so much to everyone who PM'd me and emailed me when I whined about my (temporary) dial-up dilema, with MP3 files and download links. You guys are just THE BEST!!!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

FYI.... I've just discovered that the reason I could not access the song at popeater.com was because of my IP address, NOT because of my dialup.

So for anyone outside the USA, you might have that problem as well.

:oh:

:blink:

:em0400: especially the bolded part

God I hope that's legit (and isn't it sad we even question that it is....). That almost made me cry!

Thanks for bringing it over, Thankful!

And now after staying up waaaay too late last night, I am heading to bed - after just one more listen to OMWH!

P.S. Clay's CUTE y'all!

IMG_0646copy.jpg

Look what I found on QVC

Elton John reunites with his friend and songwriting partner, Bernie Taupin, for his latest release, The Captain & The Kid which was produced as a sequel to their 1975 collaboration. Also included is a bonus disc with live performances from the Fashion Rocks event in New York City.

It seems like all the CDs they sell on QVC have extra CDS go with them! Live Clay at.... Fill in the blank

Show some love for the Goo Goo Dolls. The hit-making band is back with their 10th studio album, Let Love In.

Also included is a Live & Intimate DVD with cuts from the new album and fan favorites like Iris and Black Balloon--all performed live at Capitol Studios. Die-hard fans will delight in the bonus addition of seven music videos and two audio tracks.

One of the most celebrated country singers of our time, LeAnn Rimes has been wowing music fans since stepping into the national spotlight at the age of 13. Her most personal and introspective work to date, "Family" is a labor of love for Rimes who wrote or co-wrote all of the songs.

* LeAnn Rimes

* 2 discs

* 13 tracks include: Family, Nothin' Better To Do, Fight, Good Friend And A Glass of Wine, Something I Can Feel, I Want You With Me, Doesn't Everybody, Nothin' Wrong (featuring Marc Broussard), Pretty Things, Upper Hand, One Day Too Long, What I Cannot Change, 'Til We're Not Strangers (with Bon Jovi)

* Bonus CD with 5 tracks including: Blue, How Do I Live, The Weight Of Love, I Fall To Pieces, But I Do Love You

* Approximate run times: Family 57:14 minutes; bonus disc 17:21 minutes

Ok I just have to laugh to keep from...uh laughing harder. Is anybody else junk mailed/spammed <traditional definition> due to one Clay Aiken. I got a big ass package in the mail today from the Omaha Symphony. It took me a minute to remember why I keep getting mail from Duke medical center. And UNICEF well I won't call it spam, how about solicitation heh. But I have enough name labels to take me to my 20 year anniversary of "Take." And I won't get started on email...

I got an e-mail from Telecharge today.... it said, " BEEN HIBERNATING ALL WINTER? NOW'S THE TIME TO GET OUT AND SEE A BROADWAY SHOW!"

LOL -- do they even bother to check their records? This is their second funniest moment to me. The best was the time they called PerusingOne to ask...

"You have 8 tickets to the same show on different dates. Are you sure you really wanted to buy these?"

On topic.... still loving this even more tonight....

I really wish fans would do themselves a favor and simply listen to these songs...to this CD for the music and for their own enjoyment and forget about NJU's, radio and critics. If you fall in love with the song...then others will too.

Ansa, I have been thinking this all day. I will never understand why the NJUs are more important than the fans. Although I haven't listened to the song so I can't comment on it, my opinion will be mine and I wouldn't expect anyone else to be swayed by it.

Ansa & Fear, I'm curious about that too. Early on it was a major concern that without the NJU's Clay wouldn't have a career and so he might have to find something else to do and we'd never see or hear him again, ever! *sob* Well that didn't happen and we did just fine for years without the NJU's. Why is it still a big deal now? Are we all really just competitive? Is it about a burning need to show up the creeps down the hall who dared mock our Clay Aiken love? Is it a Ruben/Kelly/Carrie thing about being the Idol with the biggest? Are we like Prince Herbert's father, seeking bigger, better, higher, faster for our "kids" regardless of what they want?

I went to see Alice in Chains and Velvet Revolver recently, and while I think it would be cute to see Clay do some of the things they do (eg. the part where scott - this was before the split - removed his shirt halfway through the show) it's not a do-or-die thing. How many of those who want to see "edgy" Clay actually spend significant time and money on people who already are considered "edgy"? Does "edginess" last and if it doesn't why do we want it for him?

ETA:

play, oooh I adore bonuses almost as much as I love gadgets!!!

Ansa & Fear, I'm curious about that too. Early on it was a major concern that without the NJU's Clay wouldn't have a career and so he might have to find something else to do and we'd never see or hear him again, ever! *sob* Well that didn't happen and we did just fine for years without the NJU's. Why is it still a big deal now? Are we all really just competitive? Is it about a burning need to show up the creeps down the hall who dared mock our Clay Aiken love? Is it a Ruben/Kelly/Carrie thing about being the Idol with the biggest? Are we like Prince Herbert's father, seeking bigger, better, higher, faster for our "kids" regardless of what they want?

Scarlett (et al...heh)...for me it's just a hope that Clay can expand his fan base beyond the die-hard, tried-and-true, he-knows-my-name/face/panty size/credit card limit fans. That's it in a nutshell. I don't give a rat's ass whether or not Clay is ever 'accepted' by the 'cool' crowd , but I DO care that he gets the chances to show NEW groups of people and different groups of people just how talented and entertaining he is. I mean, I'm doing pretty well for an old gal, but I won't be around forever and I want Clay's career to grow and last beyond and beyond.

I don't give a rat's patootie, either, about Clay vs other 'Idols'..and I don't crave to see him beat out pop icons Timberlake or Fergie or even Chris Brown or Danity Kane or whoever the flavor of the week is. I just want him to be HEARD and SEEN by the NJU---the ones who haven't already been following him around the country and buying multiples (and enjoying multiples...heh) :hubbahubba: . I'm not saying we should stop doing those things...well, if you want to, go ahead but I ain't planning on it... :cryingwlaughter: ; I'm simply saying that as solid and wonderful and appreciated as we 'core' fans are, we're not infinitely capable of carrying a career. So I want Clay to enjoy more and more people coming to know and love him, too.

That's MY reason for hoping some NJU's 'get' him---whether it's because he surprised them tearing it up on Broadway or through some new music that he's invested so much of himself in through its selection, artistic interpretation and production. I know he'll never be to everyone else who and what he is to me, (God, now THERE'S a scary thought! :whistling-1: --a world of Clay smutters!)...but I DO hope his fan base grows beyond "just us"....

That's all. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Oh and this CMSU!

The best was the time they called PerusingOne to ask...

"You have 8 tickets to the same show on different dates. Are you sure you really wanted to buy these?"

Bwah! I guffawed so loudly that hubby asked me what was going on and I couldn't say the truth because he'd soon make the connection between that kind of behavior and my own... :whistling-1:

I went to see Alice in Chains and Velvet Revolver recently, and while I think it would be cute to see Clay do some of the things they do (eg. the part where scott - this was before the split - removed his shirt halfway through the show) it's not a do-or-die thing. How many of those who want to see "edgy" Clay actually spend significant time and money on people who already are considered "edgy"? Does "edginess" last and if it doesn't why do we want it for him?

This is a really good point, if edgy is important to someone, there must be an artist or group out there that meets that criteria from their own point of view and could fill that need. Edge, like every other descriptor will mean somethng different to everyone. Clay could be edgy if compared, say to Josh Groban, but not if compared to Justin Timberlake, and then again someone else wouldn't think Justin Timberlake is edgy at all cause after all he's from a boy band ....

I don't read comments on blogs because I don't give a shit why some people don't like Clay. I have enough stress in my own life without bringing more into it that way. I also tend not to believe those glowing, I-never-used-to-like-him-but-now-I-do-oh-and-by-the-way-I'm-a-big-macho-man type comments either, because they are just a leeeetle too obvious for me.

I just want to stand and cheer and shout and jump up and down and dance.

F*%k all those who don't. :wordpooper:

:F_05BL17blowkiss: Well said.

QVC sounds like a great way to sell CDs. I don't think we get it here, but apparently it streams it's shows online? Not sure whether we Canadians will be blocked from that, like we are blocked from watching certain network's streams, though. If I can, I'll buy one. It would be cool if we got some type of a QVC bonus, too, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up. That reminds me, I need to get my butt to the mall and pre-order a copy at my local HMV, too. It's a tradition!

Here's some QVC info from CH:

Oh, fear not! For VIEWING, QVC reaches EVERYWHERE. Note, on the left side, the "Watch Live TV" link!

For Canadian purchases:

Canadian customers will receive their orders through the Canadian Post. In addition, we currently cannot ship the following types of items to Canada: perishable items, food, cosmetics, items weighing over 66 pounds, or items shipping directly from the manufacturer.

I can't wait for the whole CD album now...

You know, I was thinking..... I wonder if CD sales would be boosted if there was a piece of merchandise that is comes with the CD, say a pin or unisex style of long scarf with the CD front cover printed on one side, and the back cover or something else printed on the other side. I once had an idea of a scarf with the theatrical Comedy/Tragedy mask on each side of the scarf, that's why it came to mind.

Anyway, imagine the next live gig of Clay doing his new songs and his audience is made up of members wearing such a scarf, all showing that they bought the CD. (Yes it would cost more but I am sure most people would happily pay an extra $10 to get a piece of merchandise that came especially for the launch of a new album.)

OK, I am dreaming out loud since it isn't easy for me to even be at such a concert.... LOL, it's a loonnnnggg swim!

... right now... back to listening to OMWH ...

muski, I understand what you're saying about Clay's fan base growing and expanding. I love seeing new faces in the crowd at Clay's concerts; love meeting new people on Clay fan boards who literally "just" discovered him (such as our own kf with the AI5 appearance); and the like.

The thing is, though -- I think Clay's talent is the main reason he'll get new fans. Let his talent speak for itself -- like the blogger mentioned earlier, who heard him ONCE and that was pretty much it for him. Clay's got his foot in the door in so many things (besides radio) that I think he'll continue to have a career for a long time. He'll continue to be on Jimmy Kimmel; that almost always seems to bring in a few new people to appreciate him. He'll continue to do other talk shows, and maybe one day have that talk show of his own. Spamalot seems to be doing a great thing for him as well. And if he does get radio in his career (someday), that will help as well.

I still believe a lot of this within the fandom is impatience. "We" want it all for him, and "we" want it all for him NOW. But Clay seems to be taking a different path in that regard. He's building his career....one brick at a time. Or in this case, one new fan at a time. I truly believe that by the time I'm gone from this earth, the name "Clay Aiken" will be one remembered as a guy with a fantastic career -- and that generations to come will know his name as well.

I'm out today, major conference that I've been planning for the past few months. Not many registrants though. Oh well. Anyway -- everyone have a great day!

____

From Ms. Marm at the CH:

mustbeme at CV wrote:

This is from an Idols Gives back article but it looks like he is going to interview Clay!!!!!!!!!!!

Access Atlanta

4/7: Idol Gives Back spoilers

By Rodney Ho | Monday, April 7, 2008, 11:12 AM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

<snip>

I’ve got interviews set up for Josh Gracin Tuesday morning at 9 a.m. and Friday with Clay Aiken at 2:40 p.m. Any questions I should ask either? Email me at rho@ajc.com.

Oh that was soooo written by a fan. My first clue was when he said he teared up. :cryingwlaughter:

In fact that whole post sounds like it was written by a female. Most guys I know don't talk in such flowery language.

Look what I found on QVC

Elton John reunites with his friend and songwriting partner, Bernie Taupin, for his latest release, The Captain & The Kid which was produced as a sequel to their 1975 collaboration. Also included is a bonus disc with live performances from the Fashion Rocks event in New York City.

It seems like all the CDs they sell on QVC have extra CDS go with them! Live Clay at.... Fill in the blank

Show some love for the Goo Goo Dolls. The hit-making band is back with their 10th studio album, Let Love In.

Also included is a Live & Intimate DVD with cuts from the new album and fan favorites like Iris and Black Balloon--all performed live at Capitol Studios. Die-hard fans will delight in the bonus addition of seven music videos and two audio tracks.

One of the most celebrated country singers of our time, LeAnn Rimes has been wowing music fans since stepping into the national spotlight at the age of 13. Her most personal and introspective work to date, "Family" is a labor of love for Rimes who wrote or co-wrote all of the songs.

* LeAnn Rimes

* 2 discs

* 13 tracks include: Family, Nothin' Better To Do, Fight, Good Friend And A Glass of Wine, Something I Can Feel, I Want You With Me, Doesn't Everybody, Nothin' Wrong (featuring Marc Broussard), Pretty Things, Upper Hand, One Day Too Long, What I Cannot Change, 'Til We're Not Strangers (with Bon Jovi)

* Bonus CD with 5 tracks including: Blue, How Do I Live, The Weight Of Love, I Fall To Pieces, But I Do Love You

* Approximate run times: Family 57:14 minutes; bonus disc 17:21 minutes

I love LeAnn Rimes song, "Nothing Better To Do." I consider it "edgy" lyrics wise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0Oumo_Bdj8

Hung my cotton dress on rusted wire

Up there on Pilahatchee Bridge

Just a crazy roughneck's daughter

Jumped head-first into the water

Baptized away my sins

Hitched to town with Bobby Jo and Tommy

Couple of lookers, new best friends

We slipped in the back of Sunday service

Know them church ladies, they heard us

Bum smoke money from the offering

Mama said, "Idle hands are Devil's handywork"

Oh, the trouble you'll get into

You got nothin' better to do, got nothin' better to do

Yeah!

Oh, yeah

Sign read: BAIT, CHIPS BEER and AMMUNITION

That Slim-Jim bag boy hadn't a prayer

Well I hiked my skirt and did the talkin'

While them boys were busy walkin'

Case of .5 out the back door

Hid deep in the Mississippi backwoods

We danced and played around 'til dark

Well I had them wrestlin' for my first kiss

Turned into a fight and they missed

Me speeding off in Tommy's car

Mama said, "Idle hands are Devil's handywork"

Oh, the trouble you'll get into

Yeah!

Nobody hurt, nobody harmed

Nobody's busines but my own

Mama said, "Idle hands are Devil's handwork

Oh, the trouble you'll get into!"

Yeah!

Oh, yeah

Got nothin' better to do, babe

Got nothin' better to do

You got nothin' better to do, babe

Ya got nothin' better to do, no no

Got nothin' better to do!

Ya got nothin' better to do, no no

Got nothin' better to do!

You got nothin' better to do, no no!

10 months ago

Source(s):

lyricsandsongs.com

I'm with luckiest. I never read comments left by people on anything. I can't believe the number of fans who do. Why go looking for something to get yourself all riled up over, then bringing it back to the boards to get others riled up over? Most people who post negatively about Clay are just wanting the hits to their site, and they know nothing brings them better than dissing Clay. Even having just one person bringing something back from the swamp, or other places, for others to read is still giving the sites hits. When this happens then we can always count on those same fans to go over and defend Clay's honor. Such a vicious cycle has truly hurt Clay's career and cost him some old fans as well as some new fans, and he knows it.

keepingfaith? Great news. Glad both parents are finally home and merrieeee, time to rest up and then party some.....

Good Morning Everyone,

20 Days until Clay is on QVC!

26 Days until The Closing Night of Spamalot!

28 Days until On My Way Here is Here!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

He'll continue to be on Jimmy Kimmel; that almost always seems to bring in a few new people to appreciate him. He'll continue to do other talk shows, and maybe one day have that talk show of his own. Spamalot seems to be doing a great thing for him as well.

I am sure this will happen, it will be the perfect platform for his many talents. The Clay Aiken Show, and he will sing a song and interview Tyra and Diane Sawyer, teach them how to dance and ask them what their favorite color is. :party045:

All kidding aside, I am almost certain this will happen. And thank goodness for the internet otherwise I'd have to move to the US of A. :20:

ETA I've been voting at http://votenumber1.com/voteamericanidol.html

So, just four names - Kelly, Carrie, Chris and Clay. Are they the most successful Idol contestants of all? Or are they listed as the top 2 females and top two males?

My comment about not worrying about the NJUs was in regards to enjoying the current song and/or cd. I can't speak for ansa but I was referring to those who worry about what others or radio will think about the song rather than sitting back and enjoying it for themselves. I guess I'll wait to hear any songs because of the aural pleasure I'll get downloading from itunes at midnight and hearing the cd as a whole work. JMO, doesn't work for everyone. :sickyet:

I have taken several NJUs to concerts which they enjoyed but I can't make them join the fandom. To take an overused phrase, they'll have to become fans organically. And of course thay tease me unmercifully for knowing all things Clay. If Clay ever switches to singing blue grass or country I could get a whole busload full to take to his concerts. :imgtongue:

"Edgy".

There's that word again!!!

But I ask again - just what is "edgy"?????

Clay is Clay. I hope more than just "us" get a chance to hear him. They will NOT all like him. But odds are, some will.

He doesn't need to be the biggest thing that ever hit the music world. He doesn't need to be "edgy" - whatever the hell that is!

He just needs to be Clay. For me, that is more than enough.

blows kisses at Scarlett and ldyjocelyn...

Because I totally agree with them...especially about the impatience of the Clay Nation...Because frankly, whenever he hits the TV, more than "just us" do get a chance to hear him. New fans show up all the time (of course, many seem to be horrified at the insanity that is the Clay Nation). I don't think Clay can really tailor his act to the nonfan. He has to be "Clay Aiken", and someone will either like him or not. Or drive us all insane about how they hate everything he does, but they're still a fan (and go into excruciating detail).

On the edgy and NJU thing, let's take Velvet Revolver - or at least, let's let Scarlett take them since she has the t-shirt. Hell, even I've heard of Slash. They are probably considered much cooler and edgier than Clay, and started at around the same time as Clay - but had a strong start on TV (that whole finding a lead singer thing). They are also with RCA. Their members have been in the business for YEARs (between Guns 'N Roses and Stone Temple Pilots). Of course, I'm getting all this from Wiki, so take it with a grain of salt. They've put out two CDs. Contraband, from 2004, has sold 2.9 million in the U.S. - and that's with a Grammy. Blender and Rolling Stone liked it. EW (the bastards) hated it. According to Wiki, "Contraband debuted at #1 on the Billboard album chart, selling over 250,000 copies. Notably, this marked the best-ever debut for a new rock artist in the SoundScan era." Sound familiar? Well, y'all know about MOAM.

Their 2nd CD, Libertad came out in June of 2007. Hmm, took awhile, didn't it? Got incredible reviews - called "The rock record of the summer" by the AP. Debuted on Billboard at #5. Got all the promo that people whine that ATWD didn't get. By October of 2007, had sold a grand total of 222K. I don't think VR fan worry about non-VR fans.

Couple more Spamalot recaps, from the weekend, culled from the CH:

From butterflyshine at OFC:

My Sunday Saga:

My birthday is next week, and for my birthday I wanted to bring my mom, sister, my sister in laws and one my Aunt to see Spamalot. I started putting this together in January. Purchased the tickets for the Sunday Matinee in February, made the dinner reservations a month in advance. I thought i had accounted for everything. I woke up and was disappointed to see that the sky was gray and cloudy. While walking my dog i a sense that Clay would call out, I had no reason for this feeling, but i couldn't shake the feeling. I even jumped on line right before we left to see if there was any info.

So we get to theater, we are early, but we are going to Juniors for coffee, I check the board, and my heart drops...just drops...there is Clay's name on the board, I am crushed. So i ask the ticket dude if they are doing refunds, he says yes. I tell my family, that i think we should do a tix refund and go get tickets from the tkts line. I go and check and there are some good shows up...Spring Awakening and Curtains...I talk to my family we decide to go the refund route. While refunding my tickets the ticket dude tells me that the rumor is that Clay will be doing the evening performance...a glimmer of hope. I ask if there are seats available, he says yes. I go back to Juniors and ask, if they would be willing to go to the evening performance. I ask b/c my sister and sister in laws have small children and the husbands were minding the children. I think they can sense how utterly crushed i was, so they say yes, that they will go to the evening show. I go back and buy tickets and i even get to use the discount code. We were able to get great seats.

Next step is try to change the reservation at Carmines. I go and explain the situation and she tells me if we come in before 4:00 they will see what we can do.

So we go shopping. And then head over to Carmines at around 3:30. They tell me they can seat us now and we share a wonderful late lunch. Carmines is a family style Southern Italian resturant, so we chose 2 appitizers and 2 entrees and nice bottle of wine. The food is superb and the company stellar. They tell our waiter that they are there for my birthday b/c they have really good singing voices at Carmines and we decide to split this massive ice cream sundae. Well, i have already decided on what my wish is going to be .....you guessed it, I just want Clay to perform...so I blow those candles out and wish really hard.

I was never so happy to see his name off the board. My family loved the play, and though I might not have converted them. They walked away with a healthy respect for Clay's talents. They all felt that Clay more than held his own with such a steller ensemble cast.

So, thank you Clay for making my birthday wish come true

ok some observations from the show.

I was told by the ticket due that Clay was feeling under the weather or Saturday and had decided to perform both shows anyway.

Nothing indicated to me that Clay was not feeling well, that is just how good and professional he is...

The new King is quite handsome and has a fresher younger appeal. His who's the king is absolutely hysterical ...

Clay's coconut scene remains one of my favorites...he did the sing song anyhow...and the fluttering of his wings with his hands...his disdainful, I am bored with you manner is fabulous

His slo mo horse was hysterical and his riding next to Sir Galahad with is hair being held to show the flowing nature is too funny

The Camelot scene was a joyful and fun filled silliness... Clay got wonderful applause with his Idol of the ages line...and his Spam lines...he has perfected the role of a leech and he once again looked up the skirts of the women...and shimmed with the best....

The French Taunter scene was so awesome and their gestures are so obscene. Sadly,Clay did not have time to pet his pony last night.

He did however do something really cute, right before they go to get the bunny, Clay was briefly alone of the stage, he did this kick the dirt and i'll show you box stance...like bring it on...i am ready...which given his later cowardess is hysterical..

he also kicked the cow in the head and flicked it's ears...

Hannah as usual is spot on and flawless, she doesn't add much to her character or change it up, but she is glorious...

The Tom Deckman stand in did an awesome job, but he is no Tom and doesn't have Tom's rubber bones. And he is a bit taller and I like Tom's slightness, i think it plays a bit better, but the stand in was hysterical...in fact the rope from the tower scene fell before cutting it, but i don't think many noticed...

Also the dark knight loosened his limbs a bit too early last night, and they started to droop a bit early, but it was still too funny....

Knights of Ni...I heart them...

Clay's solo...i heart him ... so excellent and i love how he doesn't see the piano, starts taking the bow and then holds the applause and starts playing....

His soiling his pants--the physical comedy of the soiling is pure genius...

His runaway shrieks are close to abject terror and as funny as all get out.

The drunk guard scene he and Bradley have the hang of it now, and though, i miss Chris, I do love Clay's fascination for his Pike and the pretty ribbons...

He fell a bit differently last night and did have any real pike/sword problems....

All in all I couldn't have asked for a better birthday present thanks to my family and Clay it was perfect...

From Cats4Clay at CV :

Friday, April 4th

I definitely don't have the great ability to give a recap as so many of you do, but I just thought I would check in with a brief report from my one-and-only Spamalot experience on Friday night.

My 18 year old, theatre major son, joined me for my first ever airplane ride, trip to New York, Broadway show, etc., and it was absolutely amazing!!! I tried very hard to stay unspoilered for the majority of the show, and I am not very familiar with Monty Python, so this was a truly new experience. I have to tell you my son's reaction to Clay, and it was simply this, "he was freakin' amazing, Mom!!!" I just could not believe that Clay could turn his beautiful, southern voice into those other accents. He was totally charming, adorable and gorgeous, and I was so proud and happy for him. The entire play and cast was unbelievably talented, and this is an experience that I will not soon forget. Hannah was truly amazing, too.

For a NJU story, I overheard the lady sitting behind me ask her husband why everyone clapped for the guard who came to the tower window; she did not know who he was. I saw her husband open his playbill and he then whispered that it was Clay Aiken from AI, and she said, "no it's not!!!" It seemed to take him a minute to convince her. I then heard them join in conversation with another couple during intermission, and they were talking about how talented he was. The other lady in the group then opened her playbill and pointed out that Clay was soon releasing a new cd, and the first lady's husband said they would definitely have to get it. I am so happy that ad is in there, and I loved seeing the blown-up sized ad at the merchandise table.

Also, I don't know if anyone has mentioned it or not, and please forgive me if they have, but we saw Rikki Lake and her son in the audience. They were sitting a couple of rows ahead of us. It really excites me when I hear of the celebrities that come out and support the show.

Of course you know there was no stage door for us, and with the tremendous size of the crowd, I totally understand. My son and I were in the second row of people, and there were rows of people as far back as we could see. My son had already told me that he was really concerned that Clay would be trampled with only that skinny baricade between him and us. I did want to see Clay in person with the blonde hair, but maybe I will get another chance someday. I am just glad that Jerome is there to keep Clay safe.

Well, I hope I didn't bore you too much, and I just wanted to share a little of my Clay "high" with everyone. Thanks for listening!!!!

From ObLaDi:

I'm not going to call this a recap, because there's really nothing I can add to all the wonderful recaps that have already found there way here. Clay finally Spammed me good and hard from the front row last Saturday night (April 5).

Had a really spectacular weekend in NYC with my BFF. We saw my other boyfriend, David Hyde Pierce, on Friday night in "Curtains." I had read that he really spends time with the fans at the stage door, and it's true. There were about 30 people waiting for him. He was sweet, humble and adorable. And I got my picture taken with him :)

Saturday, we were walking by "Jersey Boys" around 1 p.m., and BFF suggested we go see if any tickets opened up at the last minute. They told us we could wait in the cancellations line, and we ended up with 5th row. Fantastic show -- and you don't have to be a Frankie Valli fan to love it. There were even two spontaneous standing ovations during the show!

And...finally...Spamalot!!! Just seeing "Clay Aiken" in bright lights on the marquee was exciting! (And one of our first sights when we stepped out of Penn Station was a Clay bus going by!) Having seen the original cast of Spam, I really thought Clay brought a lot to the part of Sir Robin. A much sweeter, innocent take on the character. His timing on the opening of YWSOB ("Broadway...is a very special place...") was, IMO, superior to the original. I always thought that part of the song kind of fell flat, but Clay's timing/phrasing was just...funnier! And his guard? Mesmerized with the ribbons on his sword? Hysterical! And what can I add about Brave Sir Robin or YWSOB? Perfect! He really took the part of Sir Robin and put his own stamp on it. I thought he was wonderful in the part. Really wonderful. Clay was animated throughout the whole show. I wouldn't have changed a thing -- he looks like he's having a ball. He's really, really good -- and I'm just so happy for him!

Rick Holmes is great, too. (And way cute!) The Knights who say Ni did the Darth Vader thing "[heavy breathing] Luke, I am your father, Luke." But he paused and repeated it at least three times. (When you thought he was done, he'd repeat it again.) You could see some of the actors (especially the adorable Patsy) trying not to laugh.

The Peasant was a gal named Petra (if memory serves), and I don't know if she's a fan, but from where I was sitting (on the left side of the stage), she seemed to be staring at Clay through the whole presentation. Very cute.

No stage door unfortunately, but we consoled ourselves with cheesecake at Sardi's (which was miniscule by my cheescake standards, but whatever...). And by the way, I recommend the "Adult" milkshakes at Ellen's Stardust Diner -- my Mudslide with vodka and kahlua was to die for! Plus singing waiters and waitresses -- totally touristy, but fun.

One other thing...BFF knows I like Clay (she went with me to the NaT and loves MCWL), but she really doesn't know the extent of my... um... enthusiasm. So were were talking with a very nice gal sitting behind us at Spam, and she mentioned that she was seeing Spam 3 times that weekend. BFF couldn't believe someone would really see the same show three times -- I didn't have the nerve to tell her I'm doing the same thing in 3 weeks!

So that's my Not-a-Recap. I really have nothing new to offer. No NJU stories, no asides to the scantily clad dancers. Nothin'. But it was a blast, and I can't wait to see it again.

P.S. Clay's shoes in the finale have rhinestone trim. And he was wearing very thin, very white socks -- at least I think he was wearing socks *g*

From PA4CLAY at CB :

Sunday, April 6th:

It was a great night after all. Clay did perform in the evening, but MAN I was scared. Some highlights: New king was good. Very young and very different that DH. Tom Deckman was not there again and I am sorry, but the understudy is just not the same.

New Galahad is very good, especially as the black night.

Clay has taken soiling his pants to an artform!! OMG! Now it runs down his leg and he shakes his leg. The wedding guard is brilliant. He really takes over that scene IMO. Last night he was staring at the flowers of the lance. It was sooooo funny. The father/king started staring at it too as if to say WTH are you looking at. And his laugh is hysterical! Lots of "tongue" action last night not only in the slo-mo scene. He was wagging his tongue at the ladies last night too. Finally saw him looking up the girls skirt licking his lips!!!!

The run away scene was a riot. He screeched at least 3 times especially when the girl grabs him. He was beating her off him last night CRYING!

A friend and I sat next to two men from Germany. They LOVED it so much they were going to see it again. Thought Clay was fabulous and I was surprised that they'd heard of him.

The peasant was someone Clay knew. At Intermission someone noticed that the peasant seat was open. We were standing around talking and my friend was sitting in it during intermission while she was talking with us. Anyway the nasty little usherette B&^% came down, said something about my friend sitting there then said into her walkie talkie--"Clay' s People." Later a young girl came down and sat in the seat next to the peasant seat and as the lights dimmed a young man was escorted down and sat in the peasant seat. His name was David and it sounded like he had a french accent. Someone said British maybe. I thought French. Either way he was foreign. The look on his face when Clay said to bring him on stage was priceless. It was like, " OH NO! You didn't!"

Clay's doing brother Maynard to perfection and he's playing into the audience reaction and applause especially after the bottle dance. He acts "thrilled" that we applaud. He jumps up and down and claps his hands. Heard him say, "Throw it to me," when the Vegas night/lady of the lake comes out at Camelot. Heard him say, "Bloody 'ell" about something but can't remember what.

At the finale, Clay looked tired and very unemotional. His eyes were all red and he was sweating. He did look sick to me.

Faye was there and so was Debbie Cain and one of the aunts. Faye came out afterwards and was signing and taking pics. Clay didn't do the stage door again. Can't think of anything else but If i do, I'll post.

Hee, is it May 3rd yet? I'm dying to see this again. Sounds like Clay has made some little changes, like the whole guard scene with the spear. Can't wait!

Rodney Ho has been following all things idol since the beginning. I really don't understand this need for fan questions. You're a journalist.... do your job! This practice is starting to bug.

I don't care if the comments by the "man" are real or not. If it's made up at least it's creative and not attacking anyone. But I back way out of reading stuff when things are happening for Clay because that's when things get really nasty.