#30: Faith has conquered fear...on my way here!

ldyjocelyn

FCA Thread Title  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title for FCA?

• The Very Handsome Sir Clay of Aiken
    • "If I hear the term 'radio-friendly' one more time, I'm going to scream"
    • I'm ridiculously in love with the man & that's all there is to it.
    • "That will be an extra $50 for the butt squeeze!"
    • A snippet of Clay beats the hell out of the whole damn thing of anyone else!
    • Slovenia...who would a thunk it? I love Slovenia.
    • And if you strip away the friendly sweaters and smooth hair and charming smile, there's a feral creature underneath waiting to BITE you.
    • We've climbed on Mr. Aiken's Wild Ride!!!! Only this time it's an A Ticket!!!!
    • "You're doing GREAT!"
    • Clay Aiken is my high.
    • Clay Aiken is more punk then any of these groups.
    • "I still don't understand why people like my ass, I'm sorry!"

Okay...so shoot me, I caved.

I just listened to the Amazon snippets again. And god, I'm so glad I did.

I cannot fucking WAIT for this CD...these songs are....his voice is.....

omg.

Virgin no more am I (again heh)....and I'm celebrating the royal aural sex I'm gonna let my boyfriend give me as I listen over and over and over and yes, yes!, YES, YES! and

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

:Thud:

Heeee, Muski, you caver, you!

Those Amazon clips are amazing. I think this album has enough variety to it that listening to the clips won't spoil having the whole thing. I'm sooooo anxious for May 6th! But we do have QVC to look forward to, and live performances of some of the songs. That will be way cool! I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of band he has with him at QVC.

I'm enjoying the tour of backyards. Ansa, your place is gorgeous, and it reminds me of my grandparent's farmhouse. Wow, Wanda, you must do a lot of work to keep your garden looking so beautiful!

Still enjoying my relative virginity. Of course, that will probably be at least partly destroyed when Clay sings to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee at QVC on Monday!

We're talking yards? Well here is my front yard in the winter. They key to avoiding the work is to rent and have most of it be your landlord's responsibility!

DSCF1817.jpg

Of course, I wish this was the view of my yard - or anywhere else in or around my house!

1f5cf38063dbb78b0e07c785f670ae66.jpg

WOW! I am really enjoying the back yards. You all live in beautiful places. Right now I am having a Cardinal problem in my back yard. A beautiful red bird has been attacking my windows which are tinted because they face full sun. Evidently, he is seeing his reflection in the glass and is territorial, so he is fighting off what he perceives to be another red bird encroaching on his territory. This has been going on for 14 days. First day, I chased him off because he hits really hard and I was afraid that he would hurt himself. He came back with the "wife." She attacked my window a couple of times, probably figured out it was not a real bird and never came back. It takes a female to figure stuff out almost always. I have tried a fake snake, plastic owl, a boom box out side (music did not chase him off, but baseball game did.) Next day I tried talk radio, and had to listen to the most unbelievable political crap that I have ever heard, and it did not deter the stupid bird. Now I know where the term bird brain comes from. I was probably driving my neighbors crazy with the talk radio. The bird pounds my window unbelievably loud, and he goes from 6am till dark. I have talked to wild life department, and they tell me that I have done everything I can and that eventually the bird will leave. I am now hoping that he damages his stupid bird brain and drops dead.

I do not know what I did in a past life because I have been attacked by mocking birds, blue birds and a big black bird. WHY? I always wanted the redbirds to stay in my yard since they only migrate here twice a year. Again, I have learned the meaning of "Be careful what you wish for."

Like Play, the squirrels are digging up all my bedding plants. I would love to have the beautiful backyards that you all have posted pictures of. Then again, what would attack me then?

If any of you have any suggestions for my "bird" problem, I will appreciate them.

Strings omn the outside of the window may discourage him. I know when we had a pigeon problem, the fact that there were strings through them off.

As to the squirrels - get tobacco dust. I am out right now and the garden store is out as well, so I am waiting, but it will be too late. If you know a smoker, use their ashes. Animals are smarter than people and don't like tobbacco. Just don't use it for vegtables or flowers you are going to sniff.

If any of you have any suggestions for my "bird" problem, I will appreciate them.

Desertrose, I don't know about the attacking problem..LOL...sorry...but if you want to get the cardinals (I think your red birds) to stop hitting your window, you need to post this shape in your window (I know you can buy these, but you can make your own too) It's the silhouette of a hawk. You just make them bigger and cut them out and stick them in any window that you have a problem with.

hawk_silouette.jpg

Your wild bird store or pet dept nearby should also sell life size plastic owls. All the other birds will try to stay away from it...so if you had it posted in your backyard, it should keep them at bay.

I love those pix of sunsets - I have always loved sunsets..... I have never been enough of an early riser to see sunrises!! Altho, sometimes I stay long enough to catch a sunrise!!

Here's a spectacular sunset I captured while traveling in Ireland. I wish the dollar would improve so we could go back!!

2SUNST6_JPG.jpg

They key to avoiding the work is to rent and have most of it be your landlord's responsibility!

Oh YES! :cryingwlaughter:

I have always loved sunsets..... I have never been enough of an early riser to see sunrises!! Altho, sometimes I stay long enough to catch a sunrise!!

You are me, cha cha! Ireland - yet another place on my list of places to visit someday.

Continuing today's theme.....

A sunset caught in between thunderstorms from my back balcony:

DSC00285.jpg

And something I'm thankful we won't be seeing anymore of for a few months:

DSC00135.jpg

Does anyone happen to have a large file of the album cover? More school stuff....but all done this coming week! YAY! I skipped of to New York and kind of, sort of, left something major undone.....accidentally on purpose, couldn't be helped etc etc etc. But I'm back and have my nose to the boards grindstone.

Recap of my week in New York City that ended yesterday. Sunday night's performance of Spam was punctuated by the following during the finale....during the part where Robin, Belvedere and Patsy are at stage right and they've been coming up with those little routines every night? Well...Sunday night's little routine was a very lovely combo of two hip circles followed by a pair of exquisite pelvic thrusts. Nice blend of lyric and choreography there. "Find Your Grail", indeed....

And then Tuesday, they did this little shoulder shimmy, then jumped in unison to face backwards and presented us with a nice little butt shimmy while bending over just far enough to make me wish there were no tails on that jacket. *Sigh* Life can be good but it sure isn't always fair!

More than that happened during the play (which I saw four times with my Mom and my aunt). Thanks Mom!! The crowds on Sunday night and Tuesday night were positively electric and the actors sure seemed to feed of the energy in the audience, those 2 nights stand out as particularly great performances. The whole place was rocking! Mom had a great time and today tells me she misses the noise and can't get "The Bright Side of Life" out of her head. I will have to slip her 50 bucks to keep her from ratting me out on the money I spent getting a Polaroid done....I split it with my aunt....so it wasn't all that bad. And had I known that I was going to get an email from John today asking me to go out and find a 2000 Mercedes C-class for some guy over there and have it shipped to Turkey, then I would have gone for the full meal deal...all by myself. But dang it! He wants me to do what? God, my life is weird! Last night the wheel fell off the 1991 Mazda 323 I bought for $500 to drive when I'm home in Canada. I think I'll be heading to Houston to get my real car out of storage and I wonder what color C-class he wants. I guess there are more used Mercedes in Houston than Halifax. Jeez Louise!

Speaking of Louise's...go see Gypsy if you have time in New York you need to fill. Patty Lupone was awesome! Loved it!!

I was so happy to see Scarlett and Solo at the show on Thursday night! It seemed like such a long time since we had said goodbyes in Houston and I'm glad I made the decision to go on the final day so I can see even more people. On Saturday night, the 19th, I got to see so many of my Broad buddies at Juniors and after at the Hard Rock (including cha cha and Mr. cha cha). It was great to see them again. It's been quite a while since so many of us had been in one place together.

I'll be leaving Halifax on Saturday and doing the 14 hour run to New York via car with wheels that hopefully will stay attached since I'm renting it. My GMA tickets are worthless unless I'm still up partying at 6:00 am on the 6th and decide to go see Josh Groban. Last time when I got my own GMA tickets they ended up being one day early, too. Bummer! If anyone hears of a spare one floating around out there.....(digs out knee pads to use for secondary purpose...begging.) I leave to go back to Baku on the 12th, so I'll be catching all the TV promo that week via download. If John has let the internet lapse while I've been gone his friend's Benz won't get off the dock!

Speaking of getting off...the dock.....Good news this week...our shipment will be LEAVING Houston on the 30th....two months after they picked it up and about when it should have been getting there. Expected date of arrival is now June 17th.....I might have some summer clothes to wear after all and Kenai will have Milk Bones again!

More begging...anyone have a center orchestra ticket for the night of the 4th for sale? I guess I should stop asking for things, that's 3 in this post alone. Sorry!

This is a sunrise I shot one Christmas from my daughter's balcony in Halifax. I remember waking up and I could see all this bright orange glow through the slit in the curtains. I gasped when I pulled open the curtains and ran for the camera because moments like this in the sky are so fleeting. It sure was cold that early in the morning as I stood in my night gown and slippers in freezing temps....but the pix were well worth it and standing beneath that sky was an incredible feeling. (Almost as good as a certain left arm wrapped around my waist the other night.)

137805731_qrGmU-L.jpg

And this one was from Asheville, the view from the side of the seating area just before dark.

285422822_qkP3T-L.jpg

*Sigh* I want a tour. I want a tour so I can watch Clay sing those new songs to me.

Ooops! That's four things I want. I guess I'm having a needy day......and all I came to ask for was a hi res of the album cover.

ETA: Thanks, bottlecap, it helps immensely. I know I have that file somewhere but for the life of me couldn't find the darn thing!

Mom had a great time and today tells me she misses the noise and can't get "The Bright Side of Life" out of her head.

Hee! My mom literally said the same thing when she called me the day after we got back from NY. :)

ETA: From GBB at CH:

Just got a call from Ficus. The peasant in today's matinee was a developmentally disabled girl in her twenties. The audience seemed really supportive of her and kept applauding her. She looked at parents the whole time when Patsy took her up on the stage. When King Arthur asked her name, she said "My name's [xxxx] and I'm here because I'm a Clay Aiken fan."

When it came time to get her picture taken, she wouldn't look toward Clay or the camera, she kept looking at her parents. So the photographer moved over by her parents so he could get a good picture of her.

Everyone in the audience clapped and again when Patsy helped her back to her seat. When she sat down, Clay waved to her. It was all SO sweet :)

Clay did the announcement again this afternoon. And King Arthur said something like, "we'd like to thank this guy for using his image, his time and his name to help us raise money." They all seemed really appreciative of him. Everyone wanted a lunchbreak, so Clay was the only one to stay and do pictures. Ficadood thinks 50 to 75 had their pic taken. Ficus thinks more like 100. At $300 today, so either way it was a nice haul for BC/EFA.

:wub:

Album discussion ahead - don't read if you don't want to be spoilered:

I've been listening to a few snippets this afternoon. I love the more uptempo songs, but the one I keep wanting to listen to over and over is The Real Me. OMG, Clay's singing is just heartbreakingly gorgeous on that clip! Especially on the chorus, where he sings:

But you see the real me

Hiding in my skin, broken from within

Reveal me completely

I'm loosening my grasp ...

His voice is amazingly tender and beautiful in this section. He caresses the notes, and slides from one note to the next effortlessly. The part that's the most beautiful for me is the part I bolded above. He goes into falsetto for those words (he's singing F sharp - G sharp each time). His tone quality is clear and full, and he gets a lot of resonance. It's really hard to sing that well softly, but he manages to do it! For me, the result is heartbreakingly gorgeous. I want to listen to that part over and over and over. I'm looking forward to hearing the whole song, and to hearing if he changes the way he sings the chorus as he proceeds through the song.

Using that vocal technique really conveys the lyrics. For me it conveys a vulnerability and brokenness, but yet an underlying strength and willingness to be honest. Of course, that's what the song is about. I've always been drawn to Clay's authenticity, and I think it's really cool that he has a song about being 'real' on this album.

Gibby Thanks so much for your thoughts on OMWH. I love to read what people who know something about voice have to say as I wouldn't recognize an F sharp from from a flat boob. I love TRM also. It's just SO beautiful. I can't get over how mature Clay's voice is and how sure.

The song is beautiful, as is his voice.

I really like the part that was played on the Billy Bush show. He has a catch in his voice that conveys the meaning. Hearing the whole song should be pretty amazing.

When I downloaded ATDW at midnight from iTunes, the first song I listened to was Lover All Alone. I got teary while listening to it and I think The Real Me might make me feel the same way.

Yeah, Gibby...I wouldn't be able to do the extensive (and appreciated) voice data collection, but listening to that song on my headphones while I watched my daughter playing soccer, I was almost moved to tears at the exquisite quality of his voice.

Truly exquisite. :wub:

You're welcome, wanda! And I agree, Thankful - hearing all of TRM might bring tears to my eyes, too. And muski found the right word - 'exquisite.' That's it!

There's a clip of Natalie Grant singing the entire song

. I listened, because I wanted to hear all of it. Her version is lovely, but for me it doesn't come close to what Clay does with it, even in just a few snippets. Hearing her version made me want to hear what he does with the bridge, where it gets louder and more intense.

For those who are interested in the lyrics, they're here. Clay said that Natalie rewrote some the lyrics for him - I'm very curious to see how they were rewritten. The chorus already has 'reveal' instead of 'unveil.' There are probably some other changes, too.

Sooooo, Gibby, I noticed that you highlighted Veal Me in the lyric. So can I interpret that as Clay confessing that not only is the real him as carnovore, but he has no problem eating baby calves that never had a chance to grow up! The real him is quite harsh!

I hope there are no parts of lyrics that speak of goose pate because I would hate to think he could eat animals tortured for our palates!

I've been listening to a few snippets this afternoon. I love the more uptempo songs, but the one I keep wanting to listen to over and over is The Real Me. OMG, Clay's singing is just heartbreakingly gorgeous on that clip! Especially on the chorus, where he sings:

But you see the real me

Hiding in my skin, broken from within

Reveal me completely

I'm loosening my grasp ...

His voice is amazingly tender and beautiful in this section. He caresses the notes, and slides from one note to the next effortlessly. The part that's the most beautiful for me is the part I bolded above. He goes into falsetto for those words (he's singing F sharp - G sharp each time). His tone quality is clear and full, and he gets a lot of resonance. It's really hard to sing that well softly, but he manages to do it! For me, the result is heartbreakingly gorgeous. I want to listen to that part over and over and over. I'm looking forward to hearing the whole song, and to hearing if he changes the way he sings the chorus as he proceeds through the song.

Using that vocal technique really conveys the lyrics. For me it conveys a vulnerability and brokenness, but yet an underlying strength and willingness to be honest. Of course, that's what the song is about. I've always been drawn to Clay's authenticity, and I think it's really cool that he has a song about being 'real' on this album.

Thank you for spoilering, Gibby! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I mentioned this a day or so ago, but could we have a lyrics thread somewhere? With the lyrics such a big part of this album, it would be nice to have a place to go to find them - assuming there is no lyric booklet included.

Sooooo, Gibby, I noticed that you highlighted Veal Me in the lyric. So can I interpret that as Clay confessing that not only is the real him as carnovore, but he has no problem eating baby calves that never had a chance to grow up! The real him is quite harsh!

I hope there are no parts of lyrics that speak of goose pate because I would hate to think he could eat animals tortured for our palates!

This reminds me of one of my favourite parts in LTS.... where Clay says I used to be far more stubborn. I remember one time in high school when I got into an argument with my mom at dinner. She wanted me to eat some pork dish she had made. I refused. And she said, "The only way you're not going to have to eat that dinner is if you're a vegetarian."

Now, I loved meat. I ate hamburgers all the time. But because she challenged me, I snottily announced that I was, in fact, a vegetarian. And here's the stubborn part - I didn't eat meat for two years.

The reason I love this story is because it revealed Clay's incredible willpower, and therefore could be why Clay seems to achieve anything he puts his mind to.

p.s. That's a verbatim extract ..... that's the benefit of having LTS as an ebook.... all I did was do a search on the word "vegetarian" and bang, there it is! If anyone ever wants to find something in LTS quickly, PM me some key words and I'll get it for you printo, I mean pronto!

I mentioned this a day or so ago, but could we have a lyrics thread somewhere? With the lyrics such a big part of this album, it would be nice to have a place to go to find them - assuming there is no lyric booklet included.

There's one started here, CG.

There's one started here, CG.

Thanks annabear! GUess I should use "View New Posts"! :cryingwlaughter:

Aw Gibby totally agree with your comments...I am looking forward to doing the CD listening party and I hope you can be there.

For those that haven't participated before...we listen to a song and give our impressions reactions critiques at the same time then we move on to the next one...its pretty fun to read how people react to each song. We will be organizing an OMWH listening party in the weekend right after the CD release.

Gah. I feel like we should have an OMWH Snippets Listening Party! Gah. I'm a goner. I swear I hear some new delicious sound every time I listen..gah. What an instrument. :hubbahubba: And as I always suspected, he knows how to use it.