#35: You mean, it’s not all dressing up and dancing at FCA?

Thread title poll  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title for FCA?

• I know, I know
    • Clay?s the balm, dog.
    • He's Clay Aiken, the one and only, for God's sake!
    • He's got energy, he's got soul, he's got it all, that voice pours out of him.
    • What can I say, he's addictive.
    • I'm of the "don't die til the bullet hits you school."
    • He can turn my world on with his smile!
    • Daddy now or later or never, Clay is a gift and I'd love to unwrap it.
    • Clay Aiken: Promoting Friskiness Since 2003.
    • It ain't my life, just my passion!
    • FCA - An anarco-syndicalist commune of cyclically in sync nomadic omnivores.
    • CiSNOs from FCA who tulibu dibu douchou Clay!
    • The man has done so many songs that you never know when he will just pop into your mind as you go about your day.
    • The man has perfectly perfect pipes and a perfectly perfect profile presenting the perfect potion of masculine pulchritude!
    • What the man did with a minute and a half with a limited choice of material, a backing track and three idiots staring at him was nothing short of art.

Janice Mbui

June 10, 2008

Obsession with celebrities has gotten out of control, and shows like Celebrity fit club and dancing with the Stars reveal how truly absurd this phenomenon has become. Who would you rather be stranded on an island with, Clay Aiken or Marilyn Manson? Obsession with celebrities makes us dumber as a society. In line at the store all you see is Star and People Magazine promoting celebrities.

SOURCE: http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/64646

What kind of dumb-ass question is that? :blink::angry::huh:^_^:rolleyes:

If I remember correctly, there was a silly VH1 show that asked that very question -- I think this was in 2004 or 2005? I don't even remember the entire context of the show itself, but I seem to remember that. And I think the point being made by this article (which I read in entirety) is that "why should we care?" As a society, we mostly seem much more interested and focused on celebrities than everything else that's going on in the world. Sad state of affairs, really, but oh so true IMO.

It"s true but it is also as a result of in-your-face conditioning, so that we are literally forced into brainwashed into knowing about someone that is not only a perfect stranger, but whose lifestyle we have ZERO interest in. Best example >>>. Paris Hilton. Initially, because of her OTT antics and her family name, the media zoomed-in on her. Then, they became relentless in their Paris pursuits because they turned her into a celebrity and created a "fan" following.. It wasn't her reality TV show that kicked off her fame, we all know that! So it becomes a subliminal thing and before you know it, you can actually write a short biography about someone you have never taken a pro-active interest in.

That is how powerful the media is, and how someone with no talent and who has done nothing extraordinary can become a celebrity or star. William Hung comes to mind. And I concede, YouTube now plays a massive part in fuelling the celebrity obsession. I send and receive all kinds of YouTube vids, and each time, it is helping to promote either Clay, Charice, Clay and now.... Ken Lee!

luckiest! I'm so sorry about your DS!

Glad he recovered and was able to steal a base!

Must be a trouper!

Okay - back to my gruesome crime novel - Cat and Mouse, James Patterson.

C ya!

ETA:

I had XMradio playing on my DirectV yesterday. DH sat down and changed to the Broadway channel and guess what was playing??/!!!!

I'm All Alone!! :cry4:

Can we go back in time to SPAMalot??!!

Good morning. I see we all survived another night of partying! :cryingwlaughter:

Duets.....did NOT like the KLo duet, much preferred Quiana as I think she has a better and stronger voice! It really takes someone with some serious pipes to duet with Clay! (still listen to/watch Listen!) Loved the Heather Headley duet because some Broadway afficionados got a chance to see that the skinny redhead from that cheesy talent show could SING!!!! (But one of my all-time favorites was the Cherie duet...mostly because it was so cool of Clay to do that in her home town/state (whichever) and because her voice honestly could hang with his! I did like Open Arms. I only saw the ITour once where Clay didn't come on last and it was so hard to sit through Kelly knowing I'd only see him one more time - that time! Sob! Sniff! I've only heard The Prayer a couple of times from a bad video. Didn't order Broadway Cares. Sob! Sniff! But there are a couple of songs I've always wanted to hear Clay sing - and that was one of them. The others are You Raise Me Up, The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face and (believe it or not) Ave Maria. Hope still springs eternal.

David Foster is a musical genius in my estimation. Have always liked him but I seriously did not know he wrote those songs. I'm with Couchie on loving The Real Me and David's piano accompaniement is beautiful!!!! I swear, IIT, this little kiddle is going to have some impressive musical genes in his or her little body!!!!

I'm playing in a golf tournament today to benefit sports programs in our local schools. My county is sparsely populated and the tax base isn't very strong. Extra-curricular activities in the schools for the most part have to be self-funded....unless its football! We're hoping to raise about $15,000 - which doesn't sound like alot but will allow some of the lesser sports for both boys and girls to be funded for next year!

Iseeme... you can still order the Broadway Cares vid. It's in several places on the last thread. The duet is awesome. It is actually kinda nice seeing Clay sing with his Broadway voice and not his pop voice... and he starts soooo low. And Hannah is so gorgeous and what a set of... pipes on that woman! :cryingwlaughter:

Whoo hoo that OMWH is getting more spins!!! I'm so happy! (tm Not Dead Fred)

Listen... I LOVE it with the heat of a thousand suns! (runs off to listen to Listen again)

(But one of my all-time favorites was the Cherie duet...mostly because it was so cool of Clay to do that in her home town/state (whichever) and because her voice honestly could hang with his!

Okay.....am I going crazy....oh wait I'm at the FCA...no one would recognize the symptoms....remembering wrong?

I was always under the impression that Clay sang the duet with Cherie because it was the release day for her CD and that she was actually from France.

Did I just make that up?

Thread title? "Oh. GOOD." (tm Robin before he became Sir)

I think Cheez Doodles are cheaper than packing peanuts. I would have used them instead in packing, but I didn't want packages to arrive with ants in them.

:cryingwlaughter:

Sigh. I still have a serious girl crush on Hannah. Wonder if she'd like to join our little commune.

After this coming Sunday she'll be done with Spam, so maybe she can pop in here before she heads back across the pond. I hope we get to see her in something else over here one of these days!

What kind of a commune is FCA, or has this been discussed? Anarco-sydicalist, as indicated below? Maybe at least in terms of selecting thread titles *g*, where a majority does rule for internal affairs.

Hee!

"I think it can. I think it can." OMWH is chugging along - good news from Mediabase this morning:

#27 :clap:

101 spins :clap:

Up 13 spins from this time last week :clap:

Yay! :7:

What kind of dumb-ass question is that? :blink::angry::huh:^_^:rolleyes:

:cryingwlaughter:

I had XMradio playing on my DirectV yesterday. DH sat down and changed to the Broadway channel and guess what was playing??/!!!!

I'm All Alone!! :cry4:

Can we go back in time to SPAMalot??!!

Aww, I miss the days of SPAMalot, too. :console:

I thought she was from Connecticut or her family was at that concert or something like that. I'm an old person - can't be relied on for perfect memory! :cryingwlaughter:

I could have made it up too! Hee!

In any case - I loved the duet and they kicked proverbial ass on it!!! I have it somewhere on one of my "mix" CDs and have nearly worn a groove in that particular cut.

Okayyyyyyyyyyy - off to chase that little white ball again.

What kind of a commune is FCA, or has this been discussed? Anarco-sydicalist, as indicated below? Maybe at least in terms of selecting thread titles *g*, where a majority does rule for internal affairs.

Don't know if there is a "kind" for our commune, but hey, in my mind, we're...

cyclically in sync nomadic omnivores

*g*

:F_05BL17blowkiss: to annabear, just cuz.

jmh, pinning a topic is good.

But it didn't work. I was just glad I didn't lose the thread altogether or something awful like that. (But I think I found the right way to do it next time.)

If I remember correctly, there was a silly VH1 show that asked that very question -- I think this was in 2004 or 2005? I don't even remember the entire context of the show itself, but I seem to remember that.

I remember that desert island thing too, just vaguely.

I was always under the impression that Clay sang the duet with Cherie because it was the release day for her CD and that she was actually from France.

Did I just make that up?

She was from France. I thought the duet was because there were some big-wigs in the audience. Dunno.

I do remember a long ago article about how many millions they spent building her career in the US, what a megastar she would be compared to Clay Aiken, that reality show guy who would be just a flash in the pan.

luckiest...whew! about your son. And AMEN! to the helmet thanks..I watched a show on tv called The Science of Sports and they showed the true impact of a baseball hitting surfaces with/without the helmet. The slow motion clips were freakin' horrific! My Carrie plays softball and isn't yet in the age group or league where there are balls being thrown at 80-85 miles per hour, but then I also understand that fastpitch softball can deliver comparable injury to baseball because the distance between the pitching mound and the plate is shorter. So even though the softball is delivered at a slower mph, the impact can be just as dangerous. Given that Carrie's been clocked throwing in the mid 50's, it makes my hope that her control over WHERE her pitches go very real. Glad to know your son's okay. :clap:

Duets? The only part of the Clay/Cherie duet I thought was so good was Cherie's voice and Clay's voice in the soft parts. When he was belting, the sound was very harsh to my ears. Love that song, though. Like his Without You duet with Quiana, but hated the live one with KLo. The studio version with KLo is better. Hated his duet with Kelly in Open Arms. They just do not mesh vocally, IMO---both of them like to belt too much, I think, and both have BIG voices. Love how he sounds with Hannah---they both have big voices, too, but they know how to modulate and blend. They have control over the dynamics and sound heavenly together. Love Clay and Ruben's voices together.

I'm sure he appreciates her big tracts of land, too. ;) From the little I've gleaned about her, no doubt she appreciates Clay's beautiful humongous....

talent, as well. :whistling-1:

(But one of my all-time favorites was the Cherie duet...mostly because it was so cool of Clay to do that in her home town/state (whichever) and because her voice honestly could hang with his!

Okay.....am I going crazy....oh wait I'm at the FCA...no one would recognize the symptoms....remembering wrong?

Did I just make that up?

No, you didn't make it up. I had the opportunity to speak with her in Greensboro at some length, and she was/is from the NW somewhere~ie, the NW of France. I'm from the SE. Loved "Fool" the duet, and I'm With the KLo-lovin' on Without You...:lol:

I love Quiana, but did not like her version of WY AT. ALL.

*g*

Yep! CiSNOs. Cuz, ya know we need more acronyms in this fandom! :lol:CiSNOs from FCA who tulibu dibu douchou Clay!

:F_05BL17blowkiss: back at ya, ldyj.

It is actually kinda nice seeing Clay sing with his Broadway voice and not his pop voice... and he starts soooo low. And Hannah is so gorgeous and what a set of... pipes on that woman! :cryingwlaughter:

Whoo hoo that OMWH is getting more spins!!! I'm so happy! (tm Not Dead Fred)

Listen... I LOVE it with the heat of a thousand suns! (runs off to listen to Listen again)

In some interview, I thought Hannah was quoted as saying she liked singing the Prayer because she got to use her Pop voice instead of her Broadway voice. I have to look for the quote.

I m trying to get people who have local stations realize that if the song is played overnight, it usually means that the Label is paying for it and they need people to request it.

Oh god, I am watching the news and I was at the beach to beat the heat. So it seems like my town is listed as one of the two that is in a state of emergency. There is no power, no water in the town and most of the trees are down. I have the most trees on the block. I guess it is time to call the neighbors. to find out what I will face tomorrow. i don't see the point of going home if there is no power. The temperature dropped 27 degrees in 10 minutes last night.

Oh no. I hope everything is OK with your place, play.

Oh no. I hope everything is OK with your place, play.

Boy!! me too! The last big storm we had that knocked out the power, we ended up with a very wet basement!!

---

HEY! I just got my Spamalot newletter - it seems Hannah was on TV this morning and mentioned Clay!!

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/media?id=6121116

eta: it seems to be an old interview!! Still good to see it again!

eata: When is Hannah's run over???? Soon isn't it?

This coming Sunday, June 15th, cha cha.

Tasapio really did take wonderful pictures. Whatever happened to her? Is she still around?

I love all the pretties being posted...makes me all schmoopie for our bf.

She is still around but RL has taken over. She saw one of the DCAT shows, the one in her hometown. I miss her so! *sighs*

We spent most of the summer of '05 together -- Darien Lake to Borgatta.

Thanks Scarlett...I hadn't seen her name around for awhile. I loved browsing her blog at the OFC and drooling over her pictures. That song made me a bit teary-eyed. I've had some very memorable summers too.

If you haven't seen the show, the guy really ends up as "Harry the Banker" though I'm not quite so sure about the "football fan" part. I know that some folks didn't like Mama Mia when they saw it this year, but I thought it was fun. Saw it in Toronto in a gorgeous theater, front row center here in Houston at the then new Hobby Center, and in NYC with the eHP during the JNT06 3-fer weekend.

I thought she was from Connecticut or her family was at that concert or something like that. I'm an old person - can't be relied on for perfect memory! :cryingwlaughter:

I could have made it up too! Hee!

In any case - I loved the duet and they kicked proverbial ass on it!!! I have it somewhere on one of my "mix" CDs and have nearly worn a groove in that particular cut.

Okayyyyyyyyyyy - off to chase that little white ball again.

I'm not picky! Yes, I loved that duet too -- wish I had been there. Good luck on your tournament!

And ITA completely about the Ave Maria! Hope to hear that someday!!!

Did I just make that up?

She was from France. I thought the duet was because there were some big-wigs in the audience. Dunno.

I do remember a long ago article about how many millions they spent building her career in the US, what a megastar she would be compared to Clay Aiken, that reality show guy who would be just a flash in the pan.

According to the Jason Flom's article "The Money Note" in The New Yorker (July 7, 2003), Cherie is from France. However, it is possible that she got a temporary place in the US for promotions. It is/was and interesting article. I quoted it at the CH back in October 2003. Hee! It was the first time I'd read the term A&R and I also mentioned this about the article, "It was also noted that the elite group that Jason and Clive belong to consists entirely of men." Hee! I guess that's changed now.

I can't stay on too long but can anyone find the article online, pretty please?

*g*

Yep! CiSNOs. Cuz, ya know we need more acronyms in this fandom! :lol:CiSNOs from FCA who tulibu dibu douchou Clay!

:F_05BL17blowkiss: back at ya, ldyj.

ldyjocelyn, awww, I love it when you talk dirty. :clap: But really, that's a neat name!

annabear, next thread title?

According to the Jason Flom's article "The Money Note" in The New Yorker (July 7, 2003), Cherie is from France. However, it is possible that she got a temporary place in the US for promotions. It is/was and interesting article. I quoted it at the CH back in October 2003. Hee! It was the first time I'd read the term A&R and I also mentioned this about the article, "It was also noted that the elite group that Jason and Clive belong to consists entirely of men." Hee! I guess that's changed now.

I can't stay on too long but can anyone find the article online, pretty please?

Got it. Thank you Scarlett for the bread crumbs. The Money Note

I don't see any mention of Clay specifically, just AI, so either I'm remembering that wrong or it was a different article about her that compared them. Probably I'm remembering wrong.

Playbiller, I sure hope your house is OK. Yikes!!!

I m trying to get people who have local stations realize that if the song is played overnight, it usually means that the Label is paying for it and they need people to request it.

KBEZ has a "Request Noon Hour" so I requested OMWH. DJ asked, "Are we playing it yet?" I told her Dave (PD) said he was playing it overnight. She said she would have to ask if she could play it then. She said he was gone to lunch but she would ask if he got back in time. Huh? I thought the point of a request hour was for them to play what we requested. <_<