#36: It ain't my life, just my passion!

ldyjocelyn

New Thread Title Poll  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like our next thread title to be?

• Whatta man, whatta man, whatta mighty good man...
    • And the biggest protection of all will be love
    • Tell me another person that's ever gone through the Idol mill with such gifts.
    • Clay is the master lemonade maker
    • If you don't get Clay, no explanation is possible, and if you do, no explanation is necessary.
    • And--just on general principles--I love Clay.
    • muchos gracias to a globe-trotting, lazy-ass, dog-loving, soft-rocking dude!
    • Very nice to look at...this very well put together firecracker.
    • the class clown got to be the star
    • Whenever he's ready, I'm ready for whatever he's ready for.
    • FCA - An anarco-syndicalist commune of cyclically in sync nomadic omnivores
    • when the sweetsingerman finds a style he likes he buys a dozen!!!!

I think I'm caught up, so I apologize if this has been posted already - news from UNICEF and promise of a blog!

http://fieldnotes.unicefusa.org/2008/06/sp...on_somalia.html

Great news!

Wonder where he is today?

It seems that after each visit to a dangerous place, he doesn't come right back to the US, but goes on another "leg" of the trip to somewhere safe.

Perhaps we'll have a little interview/pressconference video?

Cotton, you aksed yesterday why bother getting a Music Pass especially when you have have quality downloads already and the actual CD?

May I humbly suggest that it makes a lovely, durable bookmark. And you can't have too many of those.

Well, it wasn't really "why bother", it was just a preference if funds are limited, I'd prefer giving to a Somalia appeal than spend it on the Music Pass. It would be only to support Clay as I really don't need another copy of the CD. I hate to count how many I have already bought!!!

I have 4 in a box from Best Buy(?) that I bought was the price was Lo-o-o-ow for Christmas gifts!

As much as I love supporting Clay - I ain't rolling in the dough! *g*

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

ETA:

Oops.

Should have added the above to my previous post!

I'm being a postho today!

Oooo, neat deer! That reminded me that I saw one yesterday as I was driving in to work. My college is on a fairly wooded plot of land, and I saw it in an open field as I was driving by. It was a young deer, and I could see it heading toward our college roadway. I hope no one hit it!

Back from the doctor's office. I have something 15 mm by 7 mm (probably a bone spur) in my knee joint that is preventing me from straightening my knee fully. I will be having arthroscopic surgery to remove it on July 16 -- two and a half weeks. *sigh* But at least I know it will be taken care of soon, and all this will be over before school starts.

Sacrificial Love: this was another one that took me a bit of time before I "got" it. But now, it's definitely a favorite. The story it tells is so heartbreaking, and one that I think more than a few people can identify with.

My favorite line: "I know when we started, I kinda talked you...inta this." I love the way he sings that.

As for the music, I've always loved waltz types, so this is right up my alley. I tend to sway along with this one everytime it comes up. Fairly simple melody, IMO, but it fits Clay's voice so well.

OK, now I really need to try to get some work done. I need to cram a bunch of work in before I have the surgery. *sigh*

Bwah! Cotton....I thought at first that you meant the deer was a visitor this morning THROUGH YOUR FRONT DOOR!

I was gonna ask what you offered your unexpected, but welcome guest--tea or coffee? :cryingwlaughter:

Sacrificial Love - been there, done that - Well as the recipient, not the pretender. it is quite amazing how it is a personal dance where one person knows the score and lies to the other person out of the "kindness of their heart".

It is a dance, a carefully choreographed one, so the classic waltz is just perfect for the mood. Every step can be carefully crafted - the person being lied to is also dancing, avoiding what they know to be true, accepting the lies because they are just perfect lies, backing of from the accusations when accused of being the person leaving. The singing is light, but not, the underlying stress. I just love it and it is the one song I have hit repeat on. The whole classic feel of the song fits into the story - it is a story song again.

As to people questioning Clay - there is always a freedom to insult Clay, it seems a cornerstone of the fandom - everyone gets to be brutally honest and not give the guy the benefit of the doubt that they are not understanding or that he is misquoted or words are taken out of context. Nope, people will defend each fans right to judge first and think second. Clay probably has the harshest fans in fandom. I have not been to a lot of fan boards, but the few i have been to do not encourage and defend rants against their particular star. I like to give Clay the benefit of the doubt until I learn otherwise because he is like a human being and not perfect and the media is really on his back. Clay makes mistakes, but far fewer than his fans do and everything he does is shown in the worst possible way.

But muski! If you'd read my post to scarlett at 8:41 this morning, it would have made perfect sense!

I think.

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

BTW, where is our world-traveling ex-pat KarenEh?

Have we heard from her lately???

Whoa. This was good for 'keeping it real'...take a look at the comments left after a story about Ben Affleck's visit to the Congo and what he's hoping to do there...

Clay was right about the 'guy at a keyboard in Podunk' always ready, willing and anonymously able to spew whatever through the internet....it's not just CLAY that gets the shit flung...

Ben Affleck Congo

As to people questioning Clay - there is always a freedom to insult Clay, it seems a cornerstone of the fandom - everyone gets to be brutally honest and not give the guy the benefit of the doubt that they are not understanding or that he is misquoted or words are taken out of context. Nope, people will defend each fans right to judge first and think second. Clay probably has the harshest fans in fandom. I have not been to a lot of fan boards, but the few i have been to do not encourage and defend rants against their particular star. I like to give Clay the benefit of the doubt until I learn otherwise because he is like a human being and not perfect and the media is really on his back. Clay makes mistakes, but far fewer than his fans do and everything he doe is shown in the worst possible way.

Hey play, good rant. I will never understand why many of his fans refuse to give him the benefit of the doubt, ever.

Hey play, good rant. I will never understand why many of his fans refuse to give him the benefit of the doubt, ever.

Because he's their Sacrificial Celebrity and they lead sad little lives and need the attention - even if it's negative!

Back yard done. Mostly. The juice ran out on the battery so I had to quit to recharge the battery which basically takes overnight.

Good thing, my hands were starting to hurt from holding the kill bar down.

As to people questioning Clay - there is always a freedom to insult Clay, it seems a cornerstone of the fandom - everyone gets to be brutally honest and not give the guy the benefit of the doubt that they are not understanding or that he is misquoted or words are taken out of context. Nope, people will defend each fans right to judge first and think second. Clay probably has the harshest fans in fandom. I have not been to a lot of fan boards, but the few i have been to do not encourage and defend rants against their particular star. I like to give Clay the benefit of the doubt until I learn otherwise because he is like a human being and not perfect and the media is really on his back. Clay makes mistakes, but far fewer than his fans do and everything he doe is shown in the worst possible way.

*tosses coin with KAndre to see who will bring up the Star Trek fans first*

I win.

Star Trek fans were BRUTAL toward Rick Berman, who picked up the mantle of Star Trek "head honcho" after Gene Roddenberry died. Suddenly, nothing was going right for Star Trek (even though Next Gen got BETTER after Gene died, IMO), and the fans were merciless. I'm also thinking that the X-Files fans were pretty brutal to Chris Carter, especially after David Duchovny left for a bit. (Maybe Heidi could help me out here on that one, I wasn't an internet fan of the X-Files...) The difference, of course, between these and Clay is that these were TV shows; Clay is, obviously, not. But there were still REAL PEOPLE behind them, and I would think that would hurt.

The reasons why people do these things? IMO, it's all about 1) power; and 2) anonymity. As muski pointed out with the comments to the Ben Affleck story -- there are a LOT of people out there who think they have power because they can sit behind a keyboard and spew stuff, for all the world to read.

Sadly, I don't think the Founding Fathers were thinking about things like the internet when they created freedom of speech. I defend it to this day, but I also just know when to scroll.

Anyway -- as much as I don't think Clay reads the boards, I think he has someone on staff who does -- and that person makes notes and hands them off to Clay. I would venture a guess that Clay has his pulse on the fandom pretty well.

Yes, but they were "star trek" fans, not "Rick Berman," fans - that is the difference.

Oddly enough, I agreed a bit with the Ben Affleck comments - now, I don't know if it applies to Affleck, but there are some celebrities that go to pretty places visiting sick people to make nice appeals - i.e. paris Hilton was going to Africa until she found out it might actually be dangerous and she was not going to any places nearly as dangerous as Clay. When Jessica Simpson had a PR problem, she trotted off to Africa to visit children in a nies safe hospital in a nice safe area to spend a day getting pictures taken of her with sick children.

Some celebrities do things for the right reasons, some don't. Most I don't judge, but Paris Hilton is so blatant, it is impossible not to mention her.

Yes, but they were "star trek" fans, not "Rick Berman," fans - that is the difference.

And I mentioned that in my post -- but Star Trek became Rick Berman's "baby," for lack of a better term. He's still a real person, one who cares about what he's producing.

*shrug*

I no longer get upset at the crap written about Clay because the same crap is written about virtually everyone--we're just not reading THAT as a general rule. The world is full of cowards who hide behind their anonymity to say nasty things and attack people to make themselves feel better. Some even join message boards and pretend to be fans and just spew hate and discontent everywhere they go--usually with impunity.

Clay is a wonderful man. Who gives a shit what morons think?

If people don't want to support Clay's causes because he doesn't blog--then they should probably move on to someone who blogs as they want.

If people don't want to support Clay's causes because he doesn't blog--then they should probably move on to someone who blogs as they want.

And don't I wish I could just say that right out loud - but - no - I don't like getting Greened! *g*

I really would like to tell more than a few people "If you don't like what Clay does, why don't you go bother somebody else?!"

:cryingwlaughter:

"Sacrificial Love" is my favorite song on the album. What I love about this song is that it addresses a situation that is probably very common, but really isn't sung about often. It does basically ask the question, "How committed are you to this relationship?" A lot of people get into relationships mainly because they want to be in a relationship, even if they really don't expect it to last. I'll admit, I've been there, dating someone because I wanted to have a boyfriend, even though I really couldn't see myself with him in the long run. He sensed it, which I felt bad about, and so it wasn't a surprise when I eventually ended it.

It's a lovely song, with some very poignant lyrics and a memorable melody. I'd love to see a waltz done to it on a show like SYTYCD. I think a lot could be done with it.

My daughter told me she likes Clay's CD but the songs are "sad."

I tried to explain that they were "introspective, not sad," but she wasn't buying it.

Daughers!

BWAH! wanda! I read this

Who gives a shit what mornons think?
as "Who gives a shit what Mormons think?"

:blink:

I'm having reading iss--sehues this morning... :)

Oddly enough, I agreed a bit with the ben Affleck comments - now, I don't know if it applies to Affleck, but there are some celebrities that g to pretty places visiting sick people to make nice appeals

play, I understand what you're saying, but I was impressed by the actual article Ben wrote. He talked about how he's been traveling in the Congo, reading, talking with people for some time and plans to continue to do so in order to feel qualified to speak on the behalf of needs there. To me that's a responsibile approach. That he is in a financial (and skill) position to use his camera as a tool to help him do that AND to spread the information to others is the plus that comes from his celebrity. He's using it well, it seems.

Similarly, I would be totally shocked to learn that Clay doesn't do his homework on every country to which his UNICEF trips take him BEFORE going there, WHILE he's there and AFTER he comes back---in terms of reading, talking with more seasoned 'experts' within UNICEF, etc. He might not always provide the most 'politically correct' soundbites, but I have no doubt he knows what he's talking about.

Paris Hilton? gag me. :rolleyes:

Anyway -- as much as I don't think Clay reads the boards, I think he has someone on staff who does -- and that person makes notes and hands them off to Clay. I would venture a guess that Clay has his pulse on the fandom pretty well.

Haven't we heard stories about Jerome at concerts (one in particular I heard of) with printouts of posts in his hands? I recall one where some fan posted her seat location and said she was going to take video, and got yanked out. Is that an urban legend or did it really happen? :)

Similarly, I would be totally shocked to learn that Clay doesn't do his homework on every country to which his UNICEF trips take him BEFORE going there, WHILE he's there and AFTER he comes back---in terms of reading, talking with more seasoned 'experts' within UNICEF, etc. He might not always provide the most 'politically correct' soundbites, but I have no doubt he knows what he's talking about.

Remember how he grew a beard and wore the native dress in Afghanistan? And then when he got there said that none of them were wearing it, they were all in suits and ties? (Well, I don't think they all were, but he exagerates a lot sometimes I think.) :D

tijala - that is one crazy freak accident!! Have you been a student of the Stephanie Plum School of Operation?? :D I hope you find a good massage therapist, ask around!!

Watched SYTYCD last night - there is so much I love about that show!! Mary's voice and screaming don't bother me as much as her TEETH! Have you ever seen anyone with more teeth?? :D I loved Joshua and whatsername last night - he deserves that first class ticket on the hot tamale train!! Is anyone voting?

SACRIFICIAL LOVE - At first I didn't get this song. Not that I had never been in that situation, I probably was, a long, long, time ago in a galaxy far, far, away. I was probably too blind to realize it then.

I love Clay's voice when the song opens, I love the lyrics, "you tell me you're here for forever, but act like you're just passin' thru." His voice is so controlled, and in his lower register, I love that. It is a good waltz song, that youtube vid makes that really clear.

Clay's voice just makes me melt, and I can't concentrate on much else when I hear this song, and then all of a sudden it's over. And then I want to play it again.

I gave away one of my WalMart CDs yesterday to my massage therapist. She's been to a few concerts with me and even drove to Charlotte with me the first time I saw Clay at that NCC Basketball game. (Bobblefest) So she is a fan, but hadn't made it to the store to get the CD yet. I told her to let me know how she liked it. Then we went out to lunch and I played her some of the songs in the car. Mainly OMWH, Ashes and EIDN. We were talking about something else, so she didn't say anything about them. But I know she will. I'll call her and remind her to listen to it! She might get busy and forget!

Regarding going without the Internet...... I was really thankful for my Blackjack II phone (sort of like a Blackberry) a few weeks ago when the cable was knocked out by the electrical storm for almost two whole days. It costs more, but I could go online and even post from my phone! Cool Beans! :D I didn't have cable TV, but I still have a small TV with rabbit ears that will pick up a few stations. (ABC, NBC, CBS, and maybe PBS), so that saved me. That was the week of several finales on my fave shows like Medium! I still haven't seen the whole show!

*tosses coin with KAndre to see who will bring up the Star Trek fans first*

I win.

Star Trek fans were BRUTAL toward Rick Berman, who picked up the mantle of Star Trek "head honcho" after Gene Roddenberry died. Suddenly, nothing was going right for Star Trek (even though Next Gen got BETTER after Gene died, IMO), and the fans were merciless. I'm also thinking that the X-Files fans were pretty brutal to Chris Carter, especially after David Duchovny left for a bit. (Maybe Heidi could help me out here on that one, I wasn't an internet fan of the X-Files...) The difference, of course, between these and Clay is that these were TV shows; Clay is, obviously, not. But there were still REAL PEOPLE behind them, and I would think that would hurt.

Different factions were brutal to everyone connected to the show at one time or another. David Duchovny’s house got egged because he had the temerity to say it rains in Vancouver. And that he wanted to go “home” to work instead of working in Vancouver. He wanted this after being up there for five years, but still he was pretty soundly bashed for it. The nerve!! But yeah, Carter often took hits for a variety of things. What was funny, however, was the love fest lavished on DD after he had been gone from the show for a bit. Seems that many people don’t realize what they’ve got till it’s gone.

I love Scarificial Love. Love it! I like the concept - a new one for me. The idea that someone is hanging around waiting for real love to strike is intriguing, though I'm not crazy about the term "sacrificial love" for that concept. But what I love most is that it's a beautiful waltz.

Pandora.com, who is usually really good about this stuff, doesn't get the song at all. Here's what they say:

Features Of This Song

mild rhythmic syncopation

acoustic rhythm piano

acoustic sonority

a twelve-eight time signature

use of a string ensemble

major key tonality

acoustic rhythm guitars

triple note feel

And their suggestions for similar tunes didn't do it for me. I guess it's one of a kind.

I'm sure you guys have seen this on Youtube, but if not, it's worth a look:

Sacrificial Love

artquest... thanks for the YouTube! Niiiice!

Cotton... I loved your analysis of SL. And, your pics of the deer.

I think the lyrics on SL are some of the best/most complex on the CD. It really tells the story of a one-sided relationship and how it impacts the storyteller very well.

I read some of those comments on Ben's article and the thing is that in Africa, people are actually starving to death and being murdered. Here in the US, we have too many homeless and many people needing help, but how many of them are actually starving to death or being murdered just cause they're there. The plight in too many of those countries is more extreme than here.

Yesterday when I googled Clay Aiken, there were several articles around his UNICEF trip. Today... not one, while several still linked to the baby news were still there. It is a sad fact that scandal gets more hits than good works. I hope he is able to get some support for Somalia. I know I will respond when he requests in some form or another. Probably next week.

And don't I wish I could just say that right out loud - but - no - I don't like getting Greened! *g*

especially when you didn't even say anything, you just hinted to it :shrug: -(that was me, not Cotton.) hee.....

SACRIFICIAL LOVE- Like CHA CHA said--I lOVE Clay's voice on this one. The soft romantic tones...I could listen to him sing, talk, whisper...forever

I sure hope his current situation is not one of sacrificial love :arrowed:

Somebody at my office just told me that he and his wife heard "Grace of God" on a new country station here in the SF Bay Area!

KBWF - 95.7 - The Wolf - Bay Area's Fresh Country

I went to their site but Clay's name isn't in their alphabetical lists of artists....I don't listen to country stations so don't know, but it MUST'VE been the song because my coworker knows who Clay is and said he had to tell his wife about him because SHE wanted to know who was singing! :cryingwlaughter::clap:

I really would like to tell more than a few people "If you don't like what Clay does, why don't you go bother somebody else?!"

:cryingwlaughter:

I mostly lurk here, but I just have to say big ol' WORD!! to both of you!!