#36: It ain't my life, just my passion!

ldyjocelyn

New Thread Title Poll  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like our next thread title to be?

• Whatta man, whatta man, whatta mighty good man...
    • And the biggest protection of all will be love
    • Tell me another person that's ever gone through the Idol mill with such gifts.
    • Clay is the master lemonade maker
    • If you don't get Clay, no explanation is possible, and if you do, no explanation is necessary.
    • And--just on general principles--I love Clay.
    • muchos gracias to a globe-trotting, lazy-ass, dog-loving, soft-rocking dude!
    • Very nice to look at...this very well put together firecracker.
    • the class clown got to be the star
    • Whenever he's ready, I'm ready for whatever he's ready for.
    • FCA - An anarco-syndicalist commune of cyclically in sync nomadic omnivores
    • when the sweetsingerman finds a style he likes he buys a dozen!!!!

YIPPPPPEEEE SKIPPEEEEE - I named the new thread! Awwwww. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Still wondering what a Music Pass is though..... :hangin:

Ahem! I'm too old to be in sync, I'm nomadic when I can afford it, and I am definitely an omnivore!!!

MusicPass

It's basically one more way to buy OMWH -- you buy the card, which has a code on it. Then, you go to your computer, input the code, and the album downloads. There's extras with it -- but I've read that the extras are the Invisible, TW, and ATD videos. I'll still probably buy a copy, just because I like the picture that got selected for it.

CA_musicpass.jpg

Thanks ldyj -

But what the heck were we voting on....I mean, wasn't this the "goodie" that we voted which song we wanted to hear? And didn't When A Man Loves A Woman win?

Interesting that it's coming out now. Would hope that meant maybe we'd have an appearance somewhere?

Wow, first page for my first post on main!

After lunch with lots of wonderful ladies on Saturday, I thought I'd join the party here! They couldn't say enough about this board, so I had to check it out. :D

:F_05BL17blowkiss: to goldarngirl, luckiest1, cindilu2, canfly, topaz68, alspaz and FromClaygary Hope I didn't miss anyone...

But are we still in sync? Or nomadic? Or even omnivores?

Of course. We're also passionate!

:welcome:Bella

Re. the Musicpass, it's supposed to be a better quality digital download than Amazon and iTunes. And I'd also like to know what the deal was with the texting & voting for the songs that went on, of which I couldn't be a part of... *sob*

I was reading in another place that several people stated that the reason he has lost 3/4 of his fan base is because he has not progressed as a artist. What the hell do they want. I love this CD, maybe I am easy, but his voice is the best I have ever heard him. I like uptempo sounds but I do not need rocker Clay. I just need him to sing great songs and well, which he does.

Another reason they stated is that he changed since A1 and has become rude and a big diva. My thought is that he is five years older, and some change will occur. He stills has the same values he had then, and I am sorry but I do not see the Diva. His behavior as far as I see is always appropriate to the event. If he gets testy once in awhile maybe there is a reason.

If people want to leave that is their option, but to continue to spout over and over how he has disappointed them gets very tiring. End of my Rant.

Not progressed as an artist?? Pffftttt. I'm sorry, but anyone who says that is betraying their own lack of musical knowledge.

Clay rude and a diva? I think he has his diva moments, like many people do, but that isn't something new. He told a story on himself in the Rolling Stone interview, for Pete's sake.

Not leaving--that's the part I don't get. Why not enjoy musicians you like, instead of hanging around torturing people who are fans of someone you don't like anymore, or never liked. Waste of time.

Most of 'em are grown-ass women, and if they can't see that the bitterness frankly just makes them ugly (honestly - you come across some random bitter person, you don't care why they're bitter - you just want to avoid them. So I do.)

I have no interest in dealing with the segment of borderline strange and unhappy people of any fandom. Life is too short for self-inflicted misery, and to me, any and all stress about Clay Aiken (unless your are a member of his family or have a financial stake in his career) is totally voluntary. It is NOT something beyond your control.

Yeah that.

LAA? Haven't really discussed it because I still haven't had my epiphany. I see it speaks to a lot of people - I just ain't one of them. It's just so...whiny to me. I don't understand horror of being "alone" - not beinging in a "couple". Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my relationships tremendously, but when they are over? I enjoy being independent - in fact, there's something in me that really needs non-relationship time - and guys who have approached me in the LAA mindset, I run screaming from. Lyrics are simply in general not that important to me - and it has nothing to do with feelings. I guess in my heart of hearts, I really believe talk is cheap. (and sex without a deep emotional commitment can fun. Just sayin'. Not for everyone - but some people really do)

I'm not interested in pairing up with anyone, seriously or for fun--had plenty of that in my life but I'm in a different place now--but I still love this song. And I'm a lyrics person. I think this is a case where I enjoy the song for the story it tells, even though it isn't a story that I can relate to.

OMG - this just bears discussing:

I was reading in another place that several people stated that the reason he has lost 3/4 of his fan base is because he has not progressed as a artist

This is the stuff that pisses me off. The out and out arrogance of anyone who makes this statement! Progressed as an artist? You mean like Barry Manilow? Or Josh Groban? Or fill in the blank with any rapper's name! Or anybody else that's been singing the same damn stuff since genesis? (And I didn't mean Genesis the group) If someone truly does not think Clay has progressed from MOAM to OMWH.....even the musically challenged and untrained Iseeme can recognize the change!!!! Bubble-gummish pop songs (don't jump on me - I loved MOAM) to mature, beautiful lyrics and renditions....

:word:

I was reading in another place that several people stated that the reason he has lost 3/4 of his fan base is because he has not progressed as a artist

heh - this always reads to me as "he has not sung the kind of songs he needs to sing so that he can become the rock star I want him to be and that my kids will like so that I will therefore become cool by association".

Oh, so true!! Or at least that's the way it comes off. You have nailed it!

Sometimes, I think people mean he hasn't progressed as the artist they want him to be. So that means he hasn't define himself as an artist in their eyes.

Yup!

The reason I'm here is because I know myself. I was weaned on the passive agressive style of TWoP and when I found myself posting that way on a Clay fan board I knew it was time to go. I was just part of the problem that was making life difficult for those in the middle. These days it's just more about this being my home now and enjoying it so much that I don't want to be anywhere else.

You are me, except that it took me a whole lot longer than you to get here.

Thanks ldyj -

But what the heck were we voting on....I mean, wasn't this the "goodie" that we voted which song we wanted to hear? And didn't When A Man Loves A Woman win?

Interesting that it's coming out now. Would hope that meant maybe we'd have an appearance somewhere?

We voted on the picture. No one knows why we were voting on a song we wanted to hear. The Music Pass sale date has been scheduled since before the album came out. No idea why this date.

Thank god we didn't shut the board down when it was just bottle and a few others keeping it alive = 6 months for thread #1 heee.
Eeeeep! playbiller used to holler at me to post! Or at least mention it frequently.

I was also used to posting at TwoP, but there is a vast gulf between snark and just plain nastiness and carping.

The OFC seems somehow a lot worse than Sucks. And some of the other boards get pretty Suck-y too. Shoot, the infamous Marx bro almost seems kindly, after reading some of the slams against Clay, and the age-ism. At least mr. nasty-red-condiment didn't spew crap about Clay's family and friends.

Thank god we didn't shut the board down when it was just bottle and a few others keeping it alive = 6 months for thread #1 heee.
Eeeeep! playbiller used to holler at me to post! Or at least mention it frequently.

I was also used to posting at TwoP, but there is a vast gulf between snark and just plain nastiness and carping.

The OFC seems somehow a lot worse than Sucks. And some of the other boards get pretty Suck-y too. Shoot, the infamous Marx bro almost seems kindly, after reading some of the slams against Clay, and the age-ism. At least mr. nasty-red-condiment didn't spew crap about Clay's family and friends.

I hate to just word, but I just had to.

Regarding thread title, ya'll speak for yourselves, but it may actually BE my life right now -- and my passion -- they tend to be inseparable for me. Regarding the fandom, there are probably as many reasons why fans drop off, as there are reasons why new fans come aboard -- and not necessarily online, btw. Where young people are involved, tastes are apt to change every six months, I understand that. Regarding people who wanted to make sure Clay made it and showed Simon a thing or two -- he did, and that's something no one can ever take away, and it's very understandable those fans could feel their work is done and have moved on to the next potential star. Fans who moved along because Clay doesn't sing the kind of music they like -- completely rational and who's to argue if they don't enjoy his music anymore? Regarding people who wanted Clay to be their religious icon -- or folks who needed him to be either straight or gay to like him -- nothing I can remotely understand.

But what really gets me are those who have been personally disappointed for whatever particulars, and somehow think it's important to regularly whine about it, in detail. Not here, of course, but it did drive me away from other places. Why is it okay to be a drain on the psyches of people who are crazy about Clay? That's a bummer, man! :whistling-1:

Actually, I can understand it at OFC, because people pay their money and if they get down on Clay they feel empowered by their $35 to say so, and if the powers that be don't like it they can be banned. But I love Clay and I love his music, and I love seeing him perform -- in concert, on Broadway -- everywhere. So I ignore the people who aren't happy. And that's why, I'm HERE! If there's a song that reflects my opinion about loving and supporting Clay Aiken it's by the Rolling Stones -- wild horses couldn't drag me away -- wild horses, we'll ride them someday.

Oh, and Muski, speaking of James Taylor, ask your hubby if he's not a fan of Steamroller Blues -- the live version. (Yeah, like you're worried! :cryingwlaughter:)

What's your FUNNIEST Clay moment... For some reason I woke up this morning with Clay in my head saying.. What? Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me is a remake? heee. The man has given me too many belly laughs over the years. TOO MANY. I think he's paid me in full in laughs!

nasty-red-condiment

huh..who is mr. nasty red condiment. LOL. I only know one red condiment and it makes french fries taste good.

I just caught up, having been away for just one day.

claytonic

Faryl Smith's Ave Maria is incredible; she didn't win or even get a podium position (which was an all-male sweep) but many believe SHE should have won. (She won't have Andrew's problem of wondering what her voice is going to sound like when puberty takes control!)

a MUST SEE : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlO0ikRPZrc

This girl has an amazing voice for her age and I would probably not have ever seen her if I hadn't read about her here. Thanks

"What's Opera Doc?" is my favourite Bugs cartoon. It was fun to see it again then get ready for bed with "Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit" running thru my head. I wonder how many people today know that it references a number of Wagner's operas and if more people did when the cartoon was first shown 50 years ago.

Cotton

Because if he's on a stage - I know he will Entertain me and bring me laughter and soothing music and music that makes me dance in my seat and notes that send shivers down my spine and make me gasp out loud!

That's it. That's all I need from him.

And I can wait.

Exactly.And since seeing him and hearing him gives me so much pleasure there is a little niggling worry that it might end. Sorry folks that's just who I am. I have a resistance to change but I do manage eventually to push the worry aside every time it pops back up.

When I first discovered Clay on You Tube 2 years ago I was in a very vulnerable hurting place and he and his music got me through some rough times. Since becoming a fan and discovering this whole diverse world that is Clay fandom, I have made some good friends and have for the most part enjoyed my time mostly lurking on the boards. When the talk degenerates into angsting I've learned to rush back here.

I wonder how many fans have come to depend on Clay so much for their happiness that they react negatively to anything that they perceive as being a threat to that happiness.

Oh Couchie - I'm so glad you asked. I was thinking Mr. Nasty Red Catsup? That didn't make sense. Mr. Nasty Red Chile Powder? Ummmm, not that either. Mr. Nasty Red Sweet & Sour Sauce? Then I remembered a verra verra good pork roast with red bell pepper sauce - but that didn't make sense either but it made me hungry! I'm flummoxed! So "ques ca se?" (tm French taunter)

Another word on OMWH....I really like the guitar! Really like it.

Funniest Clay moment......that would be fun to figure out. For me it would probably be any time he got the cliggles on stage and tried to keep singing but couldn't. One time that comes to mind is the JBT tour when the backups are in choir robes and Clay comes from backstage in a robe reverently singing the beginning to When Doves Cry. He got to laughing so hard he had to go back off stage and come out again.....but was still laughing! Another time was when Angela was having a "bad day" (possibly cramps) and Clay stuck the drum stick in his ear.

Anybody else have a funny moment?

Narrowing down the funniest Clay moments is just about as difficult as narrowing down favorite Clay songs!

Who knew?! (tm King Arthur)

From the last thread...Perma, your doggies are sooooooo cute. I'm not a dog person, but sometimes, they can get to me, and those two pictures are adorable.

OMWH: I agree with whomever said that they kinda "burned out" on it for a bit (was that you annabear?), but now... For me, even more than LAA, this song is quintessential Clay. "I know life can suck, people can be cruel -- and yet, you'll be stronger for it." I think it speaks volumes that he chose this song as the title song, and even went so far to include quotes from the song with the pictures in the OMWH booklet. As for the music, I think this has one of the catchiest earworms on the entire album. And finally, his vocals soar!

I think much of message board culture can be boiled down to one word: tone. I've read "criticisms" of Clay by some people that did not bother me one whit -- because to me their tone was of a fairly neutral nature. But I've seen other "criticisms" (in more than a few instances, the same "criticism") that had a tone of harshness, or bitterness, or even disdain. Those posts will find me then taking a tone of my own -- frequently of harshness back. I've learned to dial that back, and ignore the ones with that particular tone. To me, so much of communication like this should be as "unemotional" as possible. With Clay, that can be difficult for some people, because he seems to inspire so many feelings (either good or bad).

Every board has their own tone, and in many instances, those tones change over the years -- some for good, some for bad. I personally like the tone here at FCA -- yes, we can get heated, but we also can have fun. (But couchie, you just can't slink off and leave....you kinda own this board. *g*)

I actually even don't mind some of the "gerbil wheel" topics -- there's always a new person around who may not know that the topic is a "gerbil wheel" on a particular board. Sure, the wheel will probably start. The key, to me, is that tone thing -- trying to keep it respectful as possible. And then, it gives that new person a good idea of what that particular board is like on that particular topic.

OK, it's time for lunch. The payroll from hell wasn't nearly as bad as I'd feared.

Funniest Clay moment? Off the top of my head, I'd say Charlotte NAT, when he could NOT stop the band, and then was laughing so hard himself he just gave up. And then practically humped the singer on stage. And then tried it with Angela a few minutes later during the James Taylor medley. The man was full of piss and vinegar that night.

"Ah thought Ah was gonna dieh!" on Leno, talking about being so sick in Eastern Europe. It was probably very traumtic at the time for Kristie, but that and the whole passing out in McDonalds story still makes me giggle.

Off to wrestle with the twistie tie on the bread.... Gets me every time. :imgtongue:

heh - this always reads to me as "he has not sung the kind of songs he needs to sing so that he can become the rock star I want him to be and that my kids will like so that I will therefore become cool by association".

Oh, so true!! Or at least that's the way it comes off. You have nailed it!

I've always fancy myself wanting Rock star Clay. So if that is the style of singing your looking for

Clay to sing, I agree that he has not progressed much. He has opted for AC style of songs for whatever reason and therefore has lost many a rock star audience fan. One does see potential in Ashes, EIDN and Falling but it needs more beat, music and rock for top 40. JMO

Edited by jmh123
fixing quote tags

Thanks ldyj -

Maybe it's on The Acrobats album? :cryingwlaughter:

Regarding DLTSGDOM, I never believed for one minute that Clay didn't know Elton John wrote and originally sang it. For one thing, he sang the Elton John version on his demo tape. Also, he talked about Idol calling EJ to get permission for him to sing it on the Wild Card show. "Let the boy sing the song!" Just another case of Clay being the cutest kidder. He loves to pull our leg. Okay, muski, I gave you one hell of a straight line there.

Wow, first page for my first post on main!

After lunch with lots of wonderful ladies on Saturday, I thought I'd join the party here! They couldn't say enough about this board, so I had to check it out. :D

:F_05BL17blowkiss: to goldarngirl, luckiest1, cindilu2, canfly, topaz68, alspaz and FromClaygary Hope I didn't miss anyone...

Welcome Bella19, glad to see you here.

Narrowing down the funniest Clay moments is just about as difficult as narrowing down favorite Clay songs!

Who knew?! (tm King Arthur)

LOL no need to narrow down..heh.... just share the funny...links is good too. Oooh I'm posthoing ...eek. Good thing it's ok to do here. heee.

KF..I agree with you. And like Scarlett said..I do think some people going through a re examination aren't perpetual complainers. This has hit them hard and I think like liney said the high of spam to the album sales and then the tabloids once again firing up their guns at clay is just too much. Now it's up to them to figure out why. I know one thing I am often amazed at the number of people who seem to take a lot or guff from people about their fandom. We event talked about that here. I'm sure it can take away the joy. It's hard for me to relate because I never had to take it on a personal level.