#36: It ain't my life, just my passion!

ldyjocelyn

New Thread Title Poll  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like our next thread title to be?

• Whatta man, whatta man, whatta mighty good man...
    • And the biggest protection of all will be love
    • Tell me another person that's ever gone through the Idol mill with such gifts.
    • Clay is the master lemonade maker
    • If you don't get Clay, no explanation is possible, and if you do, no explanation is necessary.
    • And--just on general principles--I love Clay.
    • muchos gracias to a globe-trotting, lazy-ass, dog-loving, soft-rocking dude!
    • Very nice to look at...this very well put together firecracker.
    • the class clown got to be the star
    • Whenever he's ready, I'm ready for whatever he's ready for.
    • FCA - An anarco-syndicalist commune of cyclically in sync nomadic omnivores
    • when the sweetsingerman finds a style he likes he buys a dozen!!!!

Welcome clem231!

"Sacrificial Love" is my favorite song on the album. What I love about this song is that it addresses a situation that is probably very common, but really isn't sung about often. It does basically ask the question, "How committed are you to this relationship?" A lot of people get into relationships mainly because they want to be in a relationship, even if they really don't expect it to last.

I love this analysis, and think it is a good point. While I'm sure there are other songs out there that cover this topic -- well, I'm hard pressed to name one at the moment.

Seems that many people don’t realize what they’ve got till it’s gone.

And then they paved paradise and put up a parking lot. *g* Seriously, I agree with this statement sooo much. I appreciate that Clay Aiken is in my life, and thank my lucky stars every day for it. I may not like everything he does, or how he looks, but I just can't complain...because he could just as easily NOT be in my life.

I think it's time to watch the AOL Sessions videos again...

Okay.

Sacrificial Love - the music

Love the waltz.

The lilting feel of it. I can’t keep myself from swaying along with it. (Somebody else mentioned this today - I can’t remember who!)

The piano and guitar opening are so sparse and pure.

And his voice is so - open.

Easy. He’s telling a story. He’s laying it on the table.

And I - I know it may sound crazy - but I sing harmony with him every single time!

There’s no harmony?!

Well, there’s no background singer singing harmony - but there’s definitely harmony.

Where’s Gibby?

I think I’m singing a third above him for part of it? (the "Are You" parts)

So - maybe that is where the country feel is coming about for so many. The underlying harmony.

I love the strings. They support his story, but they don’t overpower it. The piano is there underneath it all with the one two three - one two three of the waltz, a constant. Kind of like he, the storyteller, is going ‘round and ‘round with his absent love.

He keeps coming around to the same place, the music circling with him.

And back to the voice. He lets his vibrato come into this song a little bit. Gently. Showing a vulnerability.

And I’ve heard people comment on his hard “r’s”. Not here in this one.

“Are you only”, the “are” is more like “Ah you”. Softer.

Even though he is asking, pleading, his vocals ae quite restrained, IMO.

It’s not so much a whisper as it is “talking to himself”. Even on the most powerful vocals in this song, he doesn’t wail! And you know he could. He is masterful at telling a story in song.

Have I mentioned I love it!

Can’t wait to hear the Musicians’ take on this one.

Y’all are going to have to take up a collection and buy me a chance to sing harmony with him on this!!! I’d give my eye teeth! I might make a pact with the devil for the chance!

I know. Like that’s gonna ever happen.

*sigh*

Oh yeah. I love "inta this", too!!!

ETA:

Am I the only person who sings harmony with him on this one?

Walks slowly into FCA holding on to the walls for support...don't my new glasses look purty...still trying to get used to them though...had hubby drive me to the eye doctor and I was actually getting nauseous on the way home...lot of stop and go traffic. Hope I get used to these soon!

I love Sacrificial Love...being in love with being in love...then the reality sets in and it may not be all that and a bag of chips...been there myself.

And yet, I think it can be applied to the love some have of Clay...just hanging on and looking over his shoulder until the next thing comes along...not being able to say good-bye...

Great song.

Kim

Mornin' all!

You know I should learn not to be surprised, that something as good as the news yesterday, will always be turned around in the Clay Nation! ::sigh::

Be careful out there!

This is my safe place (tm TB) :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I made the mistake this morning of thinking that perhaps the Somalia news would engender some good will amongst the fandom, so I carefully ventured out- :fca: BIG mistake! The first thing I read pissed me off, so I backed right back out again. No desire to go back at this point.

In the meantime - here's a great old montage by karebear I found on youtube this AM.

Thanks for the montage- I've always liked that song, even though I'm not much of a country music fan.

Thanks also to artquest for the Sacrificial Love montage- just beautiful!

As for the song- my FAVORITE on the CD (excepting LAA). When Clay first spoke about this song in an interview, I think most had a very different idea of what this song would be about. I think some envisioned a down and dirty "she done me wrong" kind of song, or conversely, they thought Clay would be singing as if he were the one biding time in the relationship. So, when I first heard the snippets, I was very surprised- and the song intrigued me immediately. It was easily the one that I most wanted to hear.

As for what I like about it- EVERYTHING! My non-musical background does not allow me to say anything profound about the song, (when I was in the 5th grade, I wanted to play the flute in school. I remember taking some kind of aptitude test, and then being told very gently that perhaps I should find some other activity to engage in!) :cryingwlaughter: but I love the whole thing- the voice, the music, the sensitivity of the lyrics- everything! (apparently I gravitate toward the melancholy- don't know why?)

Totally OT, but check out this boingboing video!

That's my crazy smart cuz!!!

He must have a lot of time on his hands! LOL.

He majored in Product Design (Industrial Design) at NC State years ago. He's retired but he still teaches at Community College, plays piano on the weekend, is in a band, etc. He used to work for Bosch Tools and for another company designed the old White Rain shampoo bottle that was shaped like a raindrop!

But he has always been a "gadgeteer!" He doesn't watch television, though. So that's a lot of time right there!!

I LOVE Sacraficial Love! This is one of the few songs that I don't think of Clay when I listen to it because I can relate to it. I've been on both sides of the story. Yes, I've been in a relationship where I stayed with someone, because I didn't know how to get out of it and didn't want to "hurt their feelings." And I've also been on the recieiving end with someone who fell out of love with me and didn't want to tell me. I think a lot of people have been in a relationship like this at one time or another.

I absolutely love Clay's voice in this song. It is so soft and pure, especially at the very end. I just sigh when I hear the end of the song. It's beautiful!

Every now and then something happens to make you appreciate life. Just getting up in the morning should do it but that's taken for granted.

So I get in my car to go my 1 1/2 miles to work - 1 exit - and I go about a quarter miles before the highway becomes a parking lot. It took me 2 1/2 hours to go 1 1/4 miles. Hot, broken air conditioning, big rig trucks spewing their poison in my face...A's won so that was good (beat the Phillies)... but I'm still cussing and grumbling until I see the wreck. Two people lost their lives today just going about their ordinary work day. What's 2 hours pay.

Sacrificial Love is one of my least favorite songs on the album but that's like saying no I dont' want a cherry on top of my banana split.

Back from the doctor's office. I have something 15 mm by 7 mm (probably a bone spur) in my knee joint that is preventing me from straightening my knee fully. I will be having arthroscopic surgery to remove it on July 16 -- two and a half weeks. *sigh* But at least I know it will be taken care of soon, and all this will be over before school starts.

((((ldyjocelyn)))) Glad to hear that it'll be over soon. Hang in there!

Where’s Gibby?

I think Gibby posted that she's having her doctor's appointment after work today. ((((Gibby)))) as well!

Cotton, what a beautiful visitor you had this morning!!! Awwwww!!!! Thanks for taking and sharing that picture. Do you have deer often? Now I really want to pay you a visit!

FromClaygary, so which Name & Acronym have you settled on? I want to go surfing for viable online games that we could play. However we're going to need some volunteers from the EEP [tm:ldyj] to run the games and referee. What sort of games do you have in mind? I'm hoping for a series so that we can have a mini-Olympics here in the same timeframe as the Beijing Olympics. What do you say? .... and I will also try to find batik fat quarters for you, although someone needs to explain them to me before I leave.

Hugs who all who want or need them!!! :elephanthugs:

{{{Couchie}}} I'm just glad that you didn't leave the house early today. I had a friend who was late for her train on Sept. 11; she worked in one of the buildings but never made it to work that day.

Scarlett, we do see deer quite often - but they are usually running across the road from one field to another - or I see them on the road I drive to and from work - there's a long stretch with woods and no structures. Mostly see them around dusk or after dark.

But to see one right across the street - and for him/her to stop long enough for me to struggle to successfully get my damned camera out of the bag and actually get a shot? That's RARE!

She/he stood there looking warily for probably 2 or 3 minutes! If Droopy hadn't been barking she may have stayed longer, but if Droopy hadn't barked, I wouldn't have known she was there!

ETA:

We're also 15 minutes from the beach!!!

we do see deer quite often - but they are usually running across the road from one field to another - or I see them on the road I drive to and from work - there's a long stretch with woods and no structures. Mostly see them around dusk or after dark.

<snip>

ETA:

We're also 15 minutes from the beach!!!

Cotton, *sigh* it must be so pretty over there!... soo, uh... when can I visit? *shameless grin*

Postho'ing but I forgot to ask if anyone had suggestions for online games that the two posse's could play? Or maybe even a few individual ones -- we'll just do it several times and add up the scores?

Hey KAndre, where've you been?

Couchie...I just watched the news reporting that traffic accident. AFTER hearing the weather person tell me that the smoke from all the fires around here lately has created moderate-to-unsafe air quality all over the Bay Area. They're telling people to keep young children and the elderly inside because of possible complications!

When I wake up and look at the sky, I find myself thinking of some Ray Bradbury story---the eternally cloudy skies because of centuries of pollution, etc. creepy :unsure:

ldyj---let us know as soon as you know about your knee.. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

soooooo sleeeeeeepy -_-

OT. Is anyone else watching "classic albums" The Doors on VH1 Classic? Really, really interesting program. Not just another rehash of anything about that era. This is a really intelligent analysis. With great footage. On VH1. And it was made in 2008. Tonight might well be a rerun; it's VH1 after all.

"Magic comes through you. You don't own it." (member of the band whose name I didn't catch)

Just ended. Keepingfaith, go find lightmyfire and ask her what she thinks. I'll have to watch this again and actually watch (instead of doing 5 other things at the same time I was "watching"). Rolling Stone had a long article that I read in the drs. office one time about Morrison's last days. I never quite got the cult of Morrison anymore than I get Kurt Cobain or Amy Winehouse, but I understand it a little better now. But what was really interesting was taking us through this album in such detail, how each song came to be, how the band came to be and developed.

OT. Is anyone else watching "classic albums" The Doors on VH1 Classic? Really, really interesting program. Not just another rehash of anything about that era. This is a really intelligent analysis. With great footage. On VH1. And it was made in 2008. Tonight might well be a rerun; it's VH1 after all.

"Magic comes through you. You don't own it." (member of the band whose name I didn't catch)

Just ended. Keepingfaith, go find lightmyfire and ask her what she thinks. I'll have to watch this again and actually watch (instead of doing 5 other things at the same time I was "watching"). Rolling Stone had a long article that I read in the drs. office one time about Morrison's last days. I never quite got the cult of Morrison anymore than I get Kurt Cobain or Amy Winehouse, but I understand it a little better now. But what was really interesting was taking us through this album in such detail, how each song came to be, how the band came to be and developed.

Wish I had known that was on; was looking for something to watch tonight, but I never think to check out the music channels...

Kim

Working. Working my freakin' ass off. Figuratively speaking, of course - for the ass to literally fall off would be too much like right.

Took a lunch today for the first time in three weeks - and ending up working until seven to make up for it.

My brain is tired, but I've been reading along quietly.

Not much to say about the songs which aren't my favorites - I am just so not sentimental. I think I've been the "bad" one in this situation, and am the type to say, "Dude, enjoy me while I'm here - you knew you couldn't keep me when we started this. And you ain't guilting me into anything!" Man, it's amazing to me that Clay sings stuff I would roll my eyes at if anyone would say this in real life, but he sings it pretty enough that I would actually listen. The only man who can successfully sing sort of whiningly at me is Al Green. Knowing if I'm leaving you, it's for a damn good reason - but For The Good Times would make me stay one more night...Clay singing Sacrificial Love could get me to listen, say I'm sorry, but....