#42: We're still having fun, and you're still the one!

Couch Tomato

FCA Thread Title  

61 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title for FCA?

• Endlessly entertaining, never a dull moment!!
    • Clay you seriously need to go back into the closet....to find another outfit!
    • I luv him, he is the anti-cool. He is his own cool that far exceeds cool.
    • The balls may be lavander, but they're still titanium.
    • He's Clay. He's gay. And whatever. When's the next tour?
    • He's made of awesome!
    • Even more beautiful now, inside and out!
    • God, what a MAN!
    • That is a MAN.

I know nothing about Hockeygate, except that I am still kicking myself for not getting a ticket to watch Clay sing and skate at the same time. If you haven't seen the clack of that, do yourself a favour and download it! *swoon*

Good point, luckiest. That was amazing!! And no one knew he could skate at all.

You did get to see that. That's what my problem was with the boards. The people in that room acted horribly *afterward*, with all the crying and hateful speech about Clay when some of us were sitting at home wishing like hell we had the chance to see him sing on ice skates. It was clear *something* was wrong with Clay, yet there was no concern or compassion from anyone there (it seemed like at the time), just nasty talk about how horrible and rude he was. That was upsetting to *me*.

I don't remember anyone blaming ALL the fans in the room, really. I also don't think any one fan was privy to all that happened, especially in a very crowded space. I don't believe or disbelieve anybody. I just remember a rush to heap censure on Clay, and that was the first time I honestly felt, hey, if someone dislikes him that much, why the fuck are they on a FAN board, posting and posting about it?

Illogical.

Then I started to see that, for better or worse, the boards have become communities unto themselves, and the Clay part is not even much of an important component any more for some people and at some boards.

Hell, people leave all the time to be fans of other singers, no big deal, the enjoyment of music is subjective.

So that got me wondering why the threat of leaving the fandom seems like such a big deal, people do it all the time. It should be expected.

Which is why I think Hockeygate turned out to be the template for all the fan battles to come. I got my impressions mostly from the board...the first reports we got back was "happy happy joy joy". Which I admit influenced everything I processed afterward. Then we got the "Clay - Fran - Jerome - especially Jerome is the biggest bastard of all time" reports - and many of those were incredibly nasty - the first indication I saw of the incredible entitlement some people felt. Then we got the "OMG! How could you talk that way about Clay?!?!?" Then we got the "OMG! You actually know the fans and don't know Clay and so give the fans the benefit of the doubt?" Then we got the conflicting reports of people actually in the room - some who heard Jerome - many who didn't - people who said they saw the touching - people who didn't...and then we got the weighing in of large numbers of people who weren't actually there. Part of the problem I had was that one of the people in the room was one of the ones who said, well, if he was touched inappropriately, what's the biggie? And it wasn't like she was a spring chicken. Though I wouldn't have referred to anyone in there are "ugly". Up until that time, I had blown off the possible touching - but those kind of comments made it seem much more likely. And toward the end, no one was listening to anyone else.

Eh, I like history - as long as I'm not that emotionally attached to it. Grudge-holding has made the fandom the little war-torn hot spot that it is! Wanna talk about Boobygate?

Hell, I'm still trying to think of something Clay did to stress me out - I didn't even mind the Carmen kiss because I knew goat girl was going, come hell or high water.

Skimming at work so not a lot of time to post, but just wanted to say THANK YOU for the pix of Clay, esp. the one of Clay & Parker. I just love that photo. Clay looks soooo... good and Parker is pretty much the cutest baby I have ever seen! Daddy and Son are both so dang adoreable!!! hee

Happy Friday!

However, when the Christmas stories were being submitted last year I was so tempted to write this completely hear-melting tearjerker story about my last Christmas with my Dad before he passed away, and I would have read my story with much emotion at the JNT, then upon finishing it -- closed the book, looked straight at the audience and declared -- "And that's how I escaped Hockeygate!"

BWAH

Any newbies have any questions, I am quite willing to give my totally biased, third hand account of anything -

heee

*ETA: You can still see remnants of this one in KAndre's second post--about the middle aged ugly women who were groping poor Claybe.

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

Eh, I like history - as long as I'm not that emotionally attached to it. Grudge-holding has made the fandom the little war-torn hot spot that it is! Wanna talk about Boobygate?

yeah - JMH I actually was away from the boards for a couple of days after the first reports of how great it was because I was getting a new computer and then it was Xmas which we went to family. So I came home and read about 3 days at a time and I remember writing a blasting post. See the pattern I saw which continues to this day was people didn't get the sympathetic response they wanted (and how dare you try to figure out what was wrong with clay - or excuse making as it was called) so they blasted Clay in the harshest way possible and it became about the fans even more than Clay. 3 people - 3 interpreations. hee. Just like any kind of history.

Somebody slap me. I'm a hypocrite. I wrote a slap at a blogger. I couldn't even stop myself. FIrst time in YEARS. Now I feel all dirty.

What's this about E!?

And now about this Charlie on Suvivor. He is about as interesting as a rock so far. Clay, I hope he was just your friend cuz I know you need more brain stimulation than that. :hysterical:

And now I see that Clay's hunger for a loving stable relationship is focus of tabloids. Whatever. It's better than how they treated him in the past - as this ugly thing undeserving of love. It's the new reality. Still won't be buying. And still won't be trusting.

JMH: You know...I don't even remember the young and pretty thing and didn't even realize it was being talked at other boards - I remember them pointing and laughing at us. And like you said every single perspective will be different. I was just upset that it was Xmas and the stuff being spewed about Clay was pretty damn nasty.

Wonder how Clay coming out will be remembered in a few years.

You see, it's all a matter of perspective. I couldn't believe how the people who were there were demonized, because I was one of those who was there. I didn't post angry posts about it at the time, didn't have a huge chip on my shoulder about Clay or Jerome. I know the situation was aggravated by the endless complaining from some folks, but for me, it was extremely difficult reading all the posts blaming the people in the room. Especially at the CB, which was my "home board" at that time, there was a whole thread devoted to talking about how nasty we were. And CP (Clayton's Place), which had been very demanding that I get ahold of these presents from them to give to Clay--when I read that stuff about how it wouldn't have happened if we were young and pretty, and how disgusting it must be for Clay to have so many old and ugly fans crushing on him--wow, that really hurt. So that was my perspective on the whole experience. I was at the event because I had won a contest--10 fans who won a trivia contest got to attend for free. As for meet and greets, up till that time, the only kind anyone had had was during the Idol tour. For whatever delusional reason, some of us thought that at this meet and greet we'd have a chance to chat with Clay, actually meet him. Like I said, it wasn't anyone's fault, and I don't blame Clay, and I know it must've been hard for folks to read the complaining and blaming of Clay (which I wasn't reading). It was just really hard for me to be ripped apart by so many folks on the boards.

Couchie, if you look in the Den at the CH, someone has posted the emails they got from E!, and then people have said they got approached at other boards. ellenpoppy wrote a good post explaining just why it is a stoopid act of hubris for anyone to think they can set the record or the fans or anyone at all, straight, and how the carefully worded solicitations are really just shit.

ellenpoppy said her post can travel, I already posted enuff, so maybe someone else wants to bring her post over.

And yeah, the people who should read the warnings don't think it applies to them.

jmh, I am sorry that some blamed all the people in the room....I never felt that way. I just hated the nastiness towards Clay when it was obvious no one could speak with authority about EVERYTHING that happened. Of course, I guess I am too dense or something to understand what people want when they just live to talk shit about Clay. Agreement? Others to leave too? The chance to be mean and crude with no real consequences? That whole thing pushed me out of feeling like the fandom as a whole was like family. No, there are some real unpleasant haters and meddlers there, Clay is just the excuse.

What's sad is that I kind of watched Survivor last night (whilst reading) and I can't remember which one was Charlie.

ETA: What tabloids?

The Enquirer - story about how Clay wants a monogomous relationship and now will be free to have that- brought up John D., boring ass Charlie, and stalker boy, his conservative family etc.

What does E! want. Can somebody just sum it up. This kind of thing should be out in the open to reach as many people as possible. Clay coming out should release us of all this secrecy. Not talking about any other board's guidelines just harping again on how I feel cuz it's all about me.

What's sad is that I kind of watched Survivor last night (whilst reading) and I can't remember which one was Charlie.

the one with no personality :hysterical: Maybe if he survives and it gets down to a few he'll show us something more. Frankly I'm rooting for him to win so he can have his own notoriety without I was a friend to Clay becoming his claim to fame.

I don't remember anyone blaming ALL the fans in the room, really.

*cough cough* Heidi still does, apparently. :Kolobok_Laie_haha:

I wasn't a member of CH at the time, and I wasn't one of the fans talking nasty about Clay. Not everyone who was there did, just a vocal few.

I wasn't a member of CH at the time, and I wasn't one of the fans talking nasty about Clay. Not everyone who was there did, just a vocal few.

Okay, I don't think anyone is pointing a finger at you personally, not that I can tell. Heidi seems to be talking about some of the people, really, not all of them.

And the vocal few at the CH kind of took over the board for a while, and there was a lot of back-channel stuff.

That's what sets the tone at a board, the vocal ones.

KAndre puts on her devil's horns and pretend English knowledge...

Naaaaah, I gotta give it to jmh...Heidi on paper (on screen?) did sort whack at everyone in the room, though I also think she meant just some of the whackadoodles.

No, really - let's do Boobgate! The gay angle should give it new life!

No, really - let's do Boobgate! The gay angle should give it new life!

LOL you're so bad.

Looking over my google alerts I see the same usual suspects are still at it. CLAY NATION, please, get back to loving and appreciating and enjoying Clay. There is no need to duke it out with people about Clay. The one thing we should have all learned is that we really don't know anything about Clay but his public self (well you know what I mean). So, let them say I told you so. WHO CARES. The fact remains that people who have no interest in Clay, only interest in making YOU feel bad, spend more of their life on Clay than they do with things that should be important to them. That alone should be enough to make you feel superior.

I was so happy to see Caro and Roseviolet's blogs again. All is right with the universe.

I didn't even know there was a boobgate, that's how oblivious I am to most other boards. I thought the only controversy was whether it should have been posted!

It was just a startlingly funny picture to me, I didn't care much more about it, except that it may have been my first glimmer that Clay was going to be living in a quite unrelenting and unforgiving fishbowl, surrounded by all sorts of people, some of whom live to be prying or nasty.

couchie, I fear that you are fighting a losing battle. And in regards to the E! thing, even if you manage to change some minds about talking to them, there are plenty of trolls who will.

I just have to ignore, ignore, ignore and concentrate on the fun stuff. Makes my life easier. Appreciate you trying, though!

couchie, I fear that you are fighting a losing battle. And in regards to the E! thing, even if you manage to change some minds about talking to them, there are plenty of trolls who will.

I just have to ignore, ignore, ignore and concentrate on the fun stuff. Makes my life easier. Appreciate you trying, though!

Yeah I know..whatever. Back to celebrating Clay.

Since ellenpoppy at CH gave permission for this to be posted elsewhere, here's some info regarding the possible fallout of giving an interview to the media (in this case--E!)

As most people are aware, I work in the entertainment industry. I have written releases to be used in connection with obtaining rights from an individual, and I have reviewed many releases that have been written by others.

I am writing in caps, not to scream at anyone but to make sure that these points get seen and remembered. I hope no one is offended.

PLEASE BE AWARE AND MAKE OTHERS AWARE THAT ANY FANS WHO PARTICIPATE WILL MOST LIKELY HAVE TO GIVE UP ALL RIGHTS TO THEIR WORK AND WILL HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO CONTROL OVER THEIR PORTRAYAL IN THE SHOW. THE PRODUCERS CAN EDIT THE SHOW IN SUCH A WAY TO CREATE AN IMAGE THAT IS IN NO WAY AN ACCURATE PERCEPTION. THE PICTURES AND INTERVIEWS USED CAN BE USED IN ANY OTHER E! SHOWS SUCH AS CLIP SHOWS, HIGHLIGHT SHOWS, AWARDS SHOWS, ETC., WITH NO ADDITIONAL COMPENSATION AND CAN BE RE-EDITED AND RE-FORMATTED AS THE PRODUCERS CHOOSE.

THE FANS WILL BE GIVING UP ALL RIGHTS IN PERPETUITY.

I just want to make sure that any fan who thinks that she might be able to participate and "help" Clay understands that in no way will she have any control over her participation. Ain't gonna happen. Ever. It doesn't matter what the producers say. Even if some nice production assistant really, REALLY is honest as can be and has the best intentions and is told that the show will be fair and balanced and relays that information to the fans he/she is working with... if the producers and editors go in a different direction, there is absolutely nothing that the P.A. can do about it. The releases are signed, the participants have given up their rights.

The script for this show may well have been written, and now they are looking for fans who will say the right words to fit the roles allocated for them... "Crazed Old Lady Fan Wearing Head-to-Toe Claywear", "Deluded Young Fan Who Thought She Might Get To Marry Him", "Religious Fan Who Now Thinks He's Going to Hell", "Nutty Claymate Who Went After J.P." and so on. If they have to edit an interview to make the words fit just so, they may well do that.

And just as with an auto loan, a mortgage loan, a credit card agreement... don't bother trying to change the boilerplate. They will not change the language for you. If you agree to participate, it will be on THEIR terms, not yours.

Just a fair warning. I have no doubt, though, that there will be fans who will jump at the chance to get in there and participate and try to help out Clay. *g*

If anyone feels that it will be helpful to take this post elsewhere, it's okay with me.

Yeah! Celebrating gay nonphotoshopped Clay grabbing boobies!

bwah

oh you mean people would actually have to go ON AIR before the nation and spill their guts about being a Clay fan. Oh I'm not even worried anymore...just thought it was an article.