#48: He is...therefore I fan.

Couch Tomato

New Thread Title Poll  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What say ye - what's our new thread title?

• I don't ever have a day so gloomy that Clay's smile doesn't make me happy
    • At the end of the day, who cares? Clay is hot. He?d be hotter naked. ?nuff said
    • Ladies and gentleman, the 49th president of the United States and American Idol runner-up, Clay Aiken!
    • FrstlgrglooMmflsgoolce! :heart: scruffy Clay!
    • The Clay Aiken fandom....it's just fun!
    • I am a fan of the man...pure and simple!

I don't for one minute think that Clay went into contract negotiations with his label without having some sort of a plan for his future career. The industry has changed so much and the old label model just isn't the only option out there anymore. Not to mention that Clay is probably more equipped to walk away than most. Re-signing with the label may have already been his plan B, you know sit down and see what they have to say out of courtesy and curiosity. I also don't think, given what he's actually said in interviews, that going back to teaching is something he considers realistic any longer.

jamar... I agree with you about Clay going into negotiations with his eyes open and alternatives in the back of his mind. My thoughts on why the negotiations fell thru was that RCA was trying to get profits from any touring he might do... I read somewhere that many major labels were going to try to do that in the future to make more money from their artists.

I think Clay likes performing too much to give it up. I think he'll find a way to keep on doing what he likes to do. And I hope whatever that may be, it includes a way for me to see and hear him.

When I say I celebrate Clay, I mean just that. Not 'this' that happened, or 'that' that didn't. Just Clay. There's just so much good about him to celebrate. :wub:

anna... :preachit:

:thsign27:

anna... BWAH!!! I just ordered, so his every wish is my command! :hahaha:

I am so tired tonight... why is bed 4 hours away????

I'm wondering if Clay gets money from this CD if he is no longer with RCA and they are releasing this remastered version of his songs. I mean, I want TPTB to know we still love Clay, but if he doesn't get any money from it, not sure I want to buy. Course, I have no idea how we'd find out, but I wonder.

I'd be thrilled if Clay's 52thirty was releasing this CD, but am pretty sure RCA owns everything he recorded. Hmmmm...

merrieeee.... Yippee!!! Thanks for bringing that over!!! Yes, we're good!

Movers & Shakers

We are good!!

Amazing! And we don't even know what's on the CD!

What was that possible thread title again? No matter what, no matter where, if he's singing it, I'm there? It's more like, no matter what, no matter where, if it has his name on it, we'll buy it!

ETA: I was wondering about the royalties thing myself, Liney23... But I would think no matter what, unless he's signed over his copyrights or whatever, they have to pay him something for using his songs--remastered or otherwise. :shrug: But, of course, I have no real idea and it would depend on what sort of contracts he's signed.

I honestly don't care who gets the money. I just want Clay's voice.

Since I paid no attention to RCA before I'm not paying any attention to them now.

Bwah! the sales rank has gone from 120 to 25, on Amazon (that's best sellers)

This "new" CD with mystery songs on it makes me kinda :cryingwlaughter: I mean, ever since Clay had his fans at "Take", many have said they'd pay to hear him sing the phone book.

Wouldn't that be a hoot if, when the actual CD is released, the tracks are:

1. "A-Ch"

2. "Ci-Em"

3. "En-G"

etc.

:hysterical:

This "new" CD with mystery songs on it makes me kinda :cryingwlaughter: I mean, ever since Clay had his fans at "Take", many have said they'd pay to hear him sing the phone book.

1. "A-Ch"

2. "Ci-Em"

3. "En-G"

etc.

LOL....

1. "A-Ch"

2. "Ci-Em"

3. "En-G"

etc.

:hahaha:

But whose phone book? For instance... his own, in which case it might have his number in it? Hee hee hee. If he's singing the phone book, I'm so there. Can you imagine? "Aaron, John (205) 555-5155.... la la la... "

:lol:

I know what's wrong. We used to synchronize our ordering. Now we just order when we want to? No wonder all the smart women left. Okay who took all my brain cells? My head has been a little light lately. Onemonepia! Whatever.

:Imok:

Diet Coke, meet monitor.

BWAH!!! I'm right there with ya, Fear. Empty headed, and loving it.

annabear:

When I say I celebrate Clay, I mean just that. Not 'this' that happened, or 'that' that didn't. Just Clay. There's just so much good about him to celebrate. :wub:

Amen sistah. See: my siggie. Always and forever, baby.

I assumed (I know, not good) that since these are ReMastered recordings, that it would be songs that have been released before. I don't usually by The Best Of anyone, unless I don't have any of the songs. Since I have everything that Clay has recorded (actually a few copies) I have to decide if I will buy it anyway, just to show that people still care about Clay.

I wish I knew if he will even be getting anything from this. It could be that he owes RCA money since OMWH didn't make it to the 500K mark and I had heard that is about when the artist has the label paid back. Of course, if that is the case, I suppose I should still help.

What to do, what to do :wacko:

1. "A-Ch"

2. "Ci-Em"

3. "En-G"

etc.

too true - and I would still be listening to it. LOL

Thanks to all for the pet rodent info and stories. I am not sure I know what I am letting myself in for, I will keep you posted.

Clay can be quite stubborn and maybe that stubbornness and his unwillingness to compromise didn't serve him well at RCA.
..but we just don't know. Kim

Funny you should mention that, because that has struck me as one of Clay's weaknesses. I'll never forget reading in LTS where he became a vegetarian for TWO YEARS even thought he liked meat, just to "show" his mother. I am also a stubborn person and i know how it feels to dig in my heels and not budge but I have had to learn to compromise, it's been a life-long work in progress on my part.

This reminds me of the time my son declared he was a vegetarian because he didn't like the meat I had served him.

Me: "Thats OK, you can just eat the veggies, many vegetarians survive all their lives on veggies"

DS: (shocked to his very core) " You mean they only eat vegetables!!!

Me:" Well..what did you think they ate?......"

I know what's wrong. We used to synchronize our ordering. Now we just order when we want to? No wonder all the smart women left. Okay who took all my brain cells? My head has been a little light lately. Onemonepia! Whatever.

:Imok:

Diet Coke, meet monitor.

BWAH!!! I'm right there with ya, Fear. Empty headed, and loving it.

annabear:

Amen sistah. See: my siggie. Always and forever, baby.

ITA! :cryingwlaughter:

It has taken me ages to catch up, guess I'm one of the not-smart! :whistling-1: (probably also stubborn and lazy at times )

Actually, I'm watching the Oscars. Nice of them to have it on my day off.

Did you get a load of that tribute to musicals! I would sooo love to see that live! I love musicals and of course anything with Hugh Jackman!

Much to my surprise, this is the most entertaining Oscars in years. It's old-school glam and music and it's terrific!! I kind of rolled my eyes at yet another Beyonce appearance, but damn - that tribute to musicals was fun! Baz Luhrman rules!! I'm probably the only person in the world who wasn't thrilled with Mama Mia, lol. But I LOVE musicals on the whole and would love to see more made (and yeah, I'll say it - I hope our singer-fella is the star of one of them. Like, soon!).

Heh, I even laughed at Ben Stiller - I must be tired. LOL!!

Actually, I'm watching the Oscars. Nice of them to have it on my day off.

Did you get a load of that tribute to musicals! I would sooo love to see that live! I love musicals and of course anything with Hugh Jackman!

I've been watching as well, I wasn't going to miss these awards. I couldn't stop crying when Heath's family accepted the award. I feel so sad about him, they may be celebrating his career as they SHOULD but I keep thinking about his daughter who will only ever know her father from his performances and of course from what the family tells her.

Did you know Baz put together that tribute to musicals?

jamar...
I agree with you about Clay going into negotiations with his eyes open and alternatives in the back of his mind. My thoughts on why the negotiations fell thru was that RCA was trying to get profits from any touring he might do... I read somewhere that many major labels were going to try to do that in the future to make more money from their artists.

Well, the record companies would be in crisis. The economic downturn is temporary (however long that is) for most industries but record labels have to change their terms with artists because they just aren't making money in record sales without massive, costly marketing - I believe that is how Leona Lewis was able to achieve the success she has had, and she isn't naive, she knows that without Simon's marketing machine, it wouldn't have happened quite at that level, Simon spared nothing for Project Leona. She said as much about Alexandra Burke who won XF 2008, she said with Simon in her corner, Alex can't fail. Touring/live music is what will thrive when the economy recovers and they are going to want to get their 'cut' somehow otherwise they'd go out of business. Perhaps they will get involved in concert promotions and co-ordinate and manage the tours rather than have independent promoters continue to do it. I am speculating here, I've been wondering how they would survive in the business in a general sense, not even anything to do with Clay. Technology is so sophisticated now that artists are recording their own music, for example, in someone's spare bedroom that has ALL the equipment, and churning out high quality CDs, designing their own label and inlay, and marketing directly via itunes and MySpace, accepting PayPal and CC for direct purchases etc. Clay could do the same, he'd have access to everything he needs to produce music. It's the mass marketing that is a challenge because it involves expensive advertising and being seen/heard via various mediums. And if Clay isn't interested in attending all the parties and events that industry people go to, that doesn't help. Many true artists don't have the Paris Hilton's gene, they simply need to perform the way they need air to breathe, they aren't interested in parties and getting their faces all over the media. It's a crappy industry for people who simply want the artistic aspect without having to do the BS stuff. Now, I have no clue what Clay does or doesn't do but that's the gist of how the business works. It's a very visual business and the "product" (i.e. the artist) needs to be visible because music fans, more than ever, have so much to choose from. There are still artists making pots of money and those artists are the ones that tour extensively with massive productions, it isn't just their voices, every gig is an event. That's why Simon wanted Alexandra Burke to win XF, he said she was more versatile than Leona; who doesn't move much on stage. Alex sings and moves on stage like Beyonce, Kylie, Madonna etc. Alexandra has signed a 4.4 million, 5 album deal with Epic, which is part of Sony. Alex will be recording in the USA when she is finished with the XF tour.

Oh gees I got carried away but there you go, that's what I been wondering about the industry in general, not just Clay.

Much to my surprise, this is the most entertaining Oscars in years. It's old-school glam and music and it's terrific!! I kind of rolled my eyes at yet another Beyonce appearance, but damn - that tribute to musicals was fun!

I had to switch to TAR because somehow when I hooked my tv system back up after the big moving furniture all around thang I only have one satellite line -- so I can't tape one channel while watching another and I"m too lazy to go into another room. But I was enjoying it. It feels lean and mean.

BTW, written qualification tests will be in everybody's inbox by morning! :lilredani:

I worked all day. Drive home being very careful because of the black ice & here I am after reading 10 pages. So many things I want to say

There is a strong gay Christian music scene right now. If anyone wants me to find the link I will. On My Way Here had many songs that really fit into the Christian music genre.

Stubborn people? I am one sometimes it makes life difficult. Never forgot the first time I got to stay up until 10:00p.m. All it had to do with brussel sprouts. I hate brussel sprouts. I tried feeding them to my dog, hiding them under my mashed potatoes nothing worked. My dad said "you will sit here until those are gone" Me "Dad those things are gross that test like pizza after you threw it up!!" Dad "Whatever pizza takes just as good going down as coming up!!! EAT those 3 busselsprouts on your plate!!" My 8 eight year old self sat there not moving as my brother & sister got to eat icecream with sprinkles!!! I would not budge! Finally at 10p.m my dad said I am so sick of this just go to bed!!!!

What else? Hugh is hot. he actually saved lives with his hotness.

I am so broke right now don't think I could afford anything with or without Clay's name on it :(