# 64: A super smart, caring, determined, classy, easy-going, and genuinely good, likeable guy

ldyjocelyn

Ten years and he still has me..watched several times and fell in love a little more each time..it was just so Clay. I love the intro..I think this is what Clay wants to be remembered for..Ten years ago he talked about the dreams he had and what he wanted to accomplish with his celebrity..today he came back to Idol and showed that those dreams came true and he accomplished more than he ever thought..full circle. It was perfect.

Kim

• Like 1

I missed pretty much the whole intro because I happened to be texting another Clay fan (wut lol) but I caught the performance. I don't know where to start because I was apprehensive about this appearance. I will say he looked FANTASTIC. Like WOW really good! When I was watching on TV, he only sounded okay to me in the beginning, but hit the ending.... I just re-watched it again and realized that perhaps I was distracted in the beginning too because he was amazing throughout.

The second time around too, I remembered something. BOTW was the first song I heard by him.... and at the time I didn't like it. Smack me in the back of the head if you want, I probably deserve it, but it's true..what the crazier thing is, (confession time!) I'm still not enamored by it.... His singing? Yes! The song? No........

I am still thankful he was able to get up there tonight and perform.... it made me realize that while I feel like I've been slipping away lately, he still has me wrapped around his pinky finger. I don't know why, but it's true! What I really wished is that he had more TV appearances coming up to better remind me why I'm still around. I'm thinking though I could use a healthy dose of clack this weekend including watching this performance several more times over.

Hey shorty -- don't worry about the "slipping away" thing. To me, that's a normal part of fandom. I'm fans of so many, and the fires always get rekindled at some point.

I've watched now.

LOVE.

His look struck me as very "Beatle." The hair and the pants looked very early 60's, and I think it was a really good look. As far as the vocals -- that song really does showcase the range of his voice. Those wonderful low notes, and then the glory note at the end. Wow. Sure, it doesn't match to 2003, but that was "life or death." This was "I've still got it, and damn, I'm still good."

That intro was outstanding. aikim, I think you hit it right on the head -- his dreams came true, and his influence is being felt in more than just music. I'm thrilled that the Project got some good promo, and I think he probably is too.

Loved the twitter hashtag #claycomeshome.

Michael Orland tweeted that he'll have more pictures up after the West Coast show tonight.

I'm the same way where I like a lot of things all at the same time, but Clay has always been first and foremost, and now I'm actually kinda having a real life and I'm getting really interested in a couple different things, and while Clay is "away".... It's easier for me to put those other things first. I guess I'm having a hard time realizing that, but in no way do I want to move on from Clay. I've been around too long, dangit! :)

I thought it was a terrific appearance. The introduction to the video was quite positive, "became a household name," yay! He was wearing the green shirt from my favorite outfit for the video. I loved the emphasis on humanitarian stuff; great shots of him in countries for UNICEF. Uganda, Somalia, Afghanistan, dangerous places with little children--people are bound to be impressed by that.

He looked great. Every now and then he looked a bit like to me Art Garfunkel with the hair and the red light emphasizing it. It was the high forehead and having the hair sticking up and back, maybe? Anyway, that and the outfit seemed like a bit of an homage to the original and the period.

I thought the arrangement was quite interesting. The guitarists and the backup singers emphasized a slow beat with their bodies, and the instrumental part sounded pretty contemporary to me, in a timeless way, kind of jazzy and cool. So it was slow, but not draggy at all.

:GM_FCA:

17 Days until Clay is on stage in NC! :yahoo:

Happy Birthday to all celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

I have a LOT of catching up to do here. Fortunately, I took today off (and I'm not going to feel guilty that they are probably very short staffed at work...)

Bringing these over via walkiki from the CH. Hopefully the links will work right without me editing too much. Also, most mentions are good...some not so much. Sigh. I'm focusing on the good ones!

Entertainment Weekly - 'American Idol' recap: Forever Your Girl

Clay Aiken has focused more on saving the world with UNICEF than his singing career, but this way everybody wins because we got to hear his memorable rendition of "Bridge Over Troubled Water" again. Top-notch guy, that Clay. "I miss Ruben right now!" exclaimed Ryan -- maybe the closest we'll get to an "I love you" this season. Hey, I'll take it.

Hit Fix - Recap: 'American Idol' - Top 5: Results - Plus Fantasia and Clay Aiken perform

8:23 p.m. Clay Aiken Time! He's been doing work around the world on behalf of children. Go Clay Aiken. He put a lot of effort into mentioning UNICEF multiple times. Good on him.

8:26 p.m. Clay is singing "Bridge Over Troubled Water." Does this mean he doesn't have any new material coming at any point? Hmmm... I guess a couple of the returning favorites have sung classics, rather than new stuff. Clay Aiken's just fine.

Yahoo's Reality Rocks - ‘Idol’ Top 5 Results: Throwback Thursday With Paula, Fantasia & Clay!

The "Idol" nostalgia continued with a rare appearance by Season 2 runner-up Clay Aiken, who sang his signature cover song, "Bridge Over Troubled Water" (take that, Lazaro Arbos!), followed by Season 3 champion Fantasia doing her fantastic new single "Lose to Win" and a where-are-they-now piece on Fantasia's S3 castmate, LaToya London. This all seemed like the producers' ploy to court the longtime "Idol" diehards that the show alienated this year with controversial casting choices and TMZ-leaked feuds. But you know what? The ploy worked. It was like the best episode of "American Idol Rewind" ever, and all that was missing was the triumphant return of Brian Dunkleman. "Idol" viewers were totally partying like it was 2003, and the entire results show was a very welcome reminder of the long-running, much-loved TV institution's glory days. It was a moment like this, we were flying without wings inside your heaven because we believed, and yes, it did make us proud. This was our now, and it was the time of our lives.

TV Line - American Idol Top 5 Results Recap: Save It Isn't So? [updated]

After an astonishingly emotional return to the stage from Season 3 champ Fantasia (ooh wee, “Lose to Win” is a good’un) and the surgical vocal precision of Season 2 runner-up Clay Aiken, we got to the vital stuff:

<snip>

* Clay Aiken may never be painted as a “commercial package artist,” but you can’t deny the size or precision of his voice. In my heart, I think his “Bridge Over Troubled Water” was the final swish of mouthwash intended to remove the taste of Lazaro Arbos (who tackled the ballad in his audition and as his Top 10 “victory anthem”) from the Season 12 stage.

MSN - 'American Idol' top 5 results: Farewell, Janelle

Clay Aiken then recapped the worthy work he's done on behalf of children with disabilities and reprised his version of "Bridge Over Troubled Water," which has never caused Art Garfunkel to suffer significant sleep deprivation. (Add Clay, by the way, to the long list of unlikely people who tower over Ryan.)

Hollywood Reporter - 'American Idol' Recap: Paula Abdul Makes Triumphant Return; Another Finalist Bites the Dust

Clay Aiken, the season-two runner-up more famous for his Twitter fights with Adam Lambert than his singing career, crooned "Bridge Over Troubled Water" while sporting an oompa loompa orange spray tan and a weird twitch in his left eye. His contact bothering him? Too much plastic surgery?

Billboard - Janelle Arthur First Top 10 Girl to Go on 'American Idol'

As has been a theme in the past few episodes, multiple former winners and contestants graced the "Idol" stage in performance. Season three winner Fantasia Barrino appeared with her newest single, "Lose to Win." In true Fantasia fashion, her performance was dramatic and over-the-top -- in a good way. The song is from her upcoming fourth album, "Side Effects of You."

Season two runner-up Clay Aiken also made an appearance, revisiting one of his top performances during his tenure on the show, Simon & Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water." Though Aiken has been quiet musically in recent years, the performance reasserted his standing as one of the show's all-time best male vocalists.

More tweets from Clay last night:

How sweet! Miss you!!! RT @DebbieGibson: Loving watching my friend @clayaiken on American Idol!
.@MichaelOrland U've helped contestants survive Idol for 12 years now, & u made my night back great! I've missed u! pic.twitter.com/zzEZfK60bC

BILD8OPCcAExrdQ_zps64bf0071.jpg

courtEMpress tweeted:

@RubenStuddard @clayaiken is on Idol tonight!!! Hope you're watching from Timbuktu or wherever you are.#fake

Clay replied:

@courtEMpress That's my WONDERFUL friend you're talking about. Thanks for watching, but please be nice to my incredibly talented friend!

Retweet from Merle Dandridge (from the Spamalot cast) who was at the AI show:

So happy to be here supporting the amazing @clayaiken #idol pic.twitter.com/0muzrn5WEH

BILZfJhCcAALZAb_zps159f840c.jpg

Great 2CU2! :-) RT @PeishaMcPhee: @clayaiken Loved seeing you again today! You were fabulous and love the work you are doing with @UNICEF

Peisha McPhee is a vocal coach at AI; also the mother of Kat McPhee.

Finally -- video! From Access Hollywood.

Clay Aiken Dishes on how American Idol Has Changed

He looks adorable and happy. I'm good to go.

Oh, I do have two more things to say. First -- I think Jordin Sparks was waving at Clay on the stage during Ryan's intro. Hee. Secondly...

"10 years ago....this Southern gentleman...became a household name. He's graced the world stage...and the Broadway stage. And through it all, his mission has remained the same."

LOVE this intro. LOVE. LOVE. LOVE.

And that mission? CHILDREN. More than ever, I'm proud to have "come for the voice, stayed for the man." He may not have new music out, and his career may be frustrating to many of us (and yes, I'll include me in that as well). BUT...I personally think he's happiest when he gets to talk about the needs of children in the US and the world, and how we can all pull together to help. I'll risk my neck by saying this, but if he never puts out another album again, but continues to be a public advocate for children (and for the LGBT community too!), I'm a happy camper. It might be a waste of his singing voice, but it wouldn't be a waste of his voice.

""American Idol" put a microphone into my hand so that I could sing, but I've really always felt I could use that same microphone to talk about things that are important to me and to the world."

Sweet tweet from Clay's friend Zach in Chicago:

Zach Dickerson ‏@ThatFunnyGayGuy 44s In case you missed it. Clay Aiken owned it last night. #claycomeshome http://www.dailymoti...om/video/xz4shk

It's great to have a life outside of Clay, shortyjill. But anytime I can see Clay, I'm ready. Three of us are going to the master class tomorrow. It is so comforting to hear his voice or laugh. Hopefully Clay will show up. We took a huge load of lumber and gardening stuff to the construction landfill today and then went to the environmental disposal site with some old electronics. The buyer's home inspection of our house is Monday , so John and I and Simba, our cat, have to stay away for three hours. Where do you go with a cat for that long. We are thinking of asking a neighbor if we can leave him on her screened in porch, so we can go off for lunch.

From CV:

Just saw this in the public access forum at CH:

THE OFFICE"

"A.A.R.M."

05/09/2013 (09:00PM - 10:01PM) (Thursday) : JIM HOLDS TRYOUTS FOR THE ASSISTANT TO THE ASSISTANT TO THE REGIONAL MANAGER— As the office readies for the premiere of the documentary that night, Jim (John Krasinski) convinces Dwight (Rainn Wilson), who is planning to propose to Esther (Nora Kirkpatrick), that he needs an Assistant to the Assistant Regional Manager, and holds tryouts to find the best candidate. Angela (Angela Kinsey) brings her baby to work after her daycare turns her away. Meanwhile, Andy (Ed Helms) attends auditions for "The Next Great A Cappella Sensation." Guest stars: Aaron Rogers, Clay Aiken, Mark McGrath, Santigold, Jessica St. Clair. Jenna Fischer, Leslie David Baker, Phyllis Smith, Brian Baumgartner, Oscar Nunez, Kate Flannery, Paul Lieberstein, Creed Bratton, Craig Robinson, Ellie Kemper, Catherine Tate, Clark Duke and Jake Lacy also star.

Eeeeeeeeee

Eeeee Clay on The Office! :) My mom and I love that show but we haven't watched it at all this season, we have it all on our DVR though. Either we'll be marathoning the show before his appearance or I'll just have to wait! lol

FB photos:

post-2330-0-01855000-1366418481_thumb.jp

post-2330-0-48248500-1366418491_thumb.jp

post-2330-0-87924600-1366418499_thumb.jp

Holy crap! The Office, eh? That's pretty cool! I've only watched that sporadically, at best, but I'll be watching with bells on that night!

Thanks for bringing over those pictures!

:GM_FCA:

16 Days until Clay is on stage in NC! :yahoo:

Happy Birthday to all celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

New interview posted on the Idol website:

Catching Up with Clay Aiken

Also -- pictures!

Getty Images

Zimbio

I'm off for most of the day now. Going to work out, then out for breakfast, then new phones (yay!), then hopefully to see the movie 42 with my older boyfriend, Harrison Ford!

Catching up! Didn't go to the movie -- we were having too much fun playing with our new iPhones!

Anyway...

Seen at CV, posted by canuck2010:

Rainn Wilson News ‏@RainnWilsonNews 24s

NBC's 'The Office' season 9 spoilers: First look at Clay Aiken, Mark McGrath ... http://sns.mx/NmuFy5

View summary

Website: NBC’s ‘The Office’ season 9 spoilers: First look at Clay Aiken, Mark McGrath episode

From the website:

As you may know already, May 16 marks the hour-long series finale for “The Office,” and while there are very few details available about this episode at the moment, we are finally get the opportunity to see an answer to a completely different question: what is going to happen in the week leading up to it?

The 23rd episode of the season is entitled “A.A.R.M.,” which stands for Assistant to the Assistant Regional Manager, which definitely sounds like a made-up title almost to the same extent as “Assistant Regional Manager” vs. “Assistant to the Regional Manager.” This in itself is a nice little callback to some of the fights that Andy and Dwight used to have with Michael Scott, and the synopsis makes it sound as though Jim has one last prank in store for Dwight before the end:

<snipped summary posted previously>

This episode also boasts a very impressive crop of guest stars, including the likes of Aaron Rodgers, Clay Aiken, Mark McGrath, Jessica St. Clair, and Santigold. Out of this crew, we have a feeling that a few of them are meant to be celebrity judges of Andy’s competition.

You can comment at the site to say whether or not you think this episode sounds like a good lead-in to the finale.

ETA from Masterclass also posted at CV:

Someone on Facebook posted this from today's master class. If you post here' date=' my apologies. I don't know many "real" names of folks. Is that a shout out to [b']Pink Armchair or what?

http://artquest.smugmug.com/Other/Thursday/i-gss7H3b/0/L/540467_10151378589756398_162940178_n-L.jpg

Oooo, lookie! he's already the 'man in the pink armchair'!

Masterclass Tweets:

Alyssa White ‏@astormwxo 11m

CLAY AIKEN >>> omg he is perfect and he sat right next to meeeee pic.twitter.com/gRjTJIoyDc

Pic link: https://twitter.com/astormwxo/status/325719946581639169/photo/1
Alyssa White ‏@astormwxo 14m

I just sang for Clay Aiken is this real life

Jessica Marie ‏@JessieMcV123 2m

Learned more in the @clayaiken master class about teaching auditioning skills and vocals than I have in years +Allison Lawrence is a GENIUS

Dyan Joscher ‏@Conehead76 13m

Thoroughly enjoyed the Master Class with @clayaiken & Allison Lawrence. Both were very professional & full of knowledge #wehadagreattime

Angelina ‏@JADED_hearts 4m

I just met @clayaiken he was really nice

.shaniqua ‏@Prettyy_Major 6m

soooo this is weird bt I met clay Aiken today he was nice

From geekette at the CH:

The master class was great! And yes, he was the man in the Pink Armchair. *g* It was just a chair from an office in the building, and really too short for him - his knees were up to his chin. I didn't take any pics; we were so close, and the lights were up the whole time, it just seemed weird.

So...the first "half" was him just talking about the process of auditioning for reality TV, chatting about his experiences there and since, and answering questions (specifically about the music business, not fan questions). He told funny stories and actually confirmed some stuff we'd long suspected. Yes, the "Bowl of Vincents" really only had that one song in it...

He was GREAT with the singers - he always had something good to say, but also came up with constructive criticism, having them change this or that and redo parts of the song. I was amazed at what a difference a few tips could make! And some of these kids were very good, specifically one (of several) who wanted to perform on Broadway. He told her she would do well. "See you in a few months". Speculate away (although as much as I'd like to believe it, I don't think he meant he had plans to be on Broadway any time soon).

The story I remember best was when he said "never let them see you sweat" and launched into a bit about when he was on Spamalot and blanked on a few lines of intro to a song. Spur of the moment, he kept moving his mouth like he was singing away, but making little blips of sounds like his mike was cutting out - I hope you know what I mean. It was hilarious.

It was a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon, and it was nice to see a LOT of CH people who haven't posted in a while. Hopefully one or two will chime in with better memories.

We are back from the Master Class. It actually was three hours. I took notes on Clay's critique of the young singers. Many excellent voices. Clay's and Alison's critiques were fascinating. I took a few pictures and a very bad very short video that ended with Clay saying, "I hope no one is taking video today." I have the pictures on my computer but will download them to PB, if I can. Only three not so great photos. I didn't notice anyone taking video but did see some flashes.

Clay got in at 6:30 this morning from LA. He told a story of a woman on the plane who kept asking him if he was Scottie from American Idol. He said since they both have reddish hair and are both from Raleigh he could see how she was confused. He kept denying he was Scottie but she wouldn't believe him.

The first hour or so was a question and answer session with Clay sitting in the armchair. He is quite slender and had on a blue sweatshirt with leather or some shiny fabric around the back part of the armpit area. He had on very nice fitted light brown slacks and grey suede sneakers or casual shoes. Clay's hair was slightly spiked and looked very nice. When he sat in the contestants seat we could see the thick and shiny slightly reddish brown hair. He gave a lot of thought to his answers. Someone asked about songs and clay asked his mom what song it was that he sang in Johnston County. She said "She Said Yes" but Clay didn't remember the song. A woman in the audience reacted to it and he asked her if she could sing it. She refused but said she knew all the words. Clay asked if she was the stalker that went over his fence. Alison asked if anyone had ever seen the Actor's Studio. She then proceeded to ask him the questions that they use on that program.