#13 The Aiken Experience. There's nothing else like it.

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title Poll  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title on the FCA board?

• He's my happy.
    • Doesn't want to leave RCA.
    • Lullabied...All.night.long Slooooowwwww
    • We do a lot of slow songs because that's what we're good at
    • Krispy Kreme, macaroni and cheese, and sloooooow songs.
    • God, I love his whole damn being!
    • The most adorable, lovable, huggable almost devilish creature that melts my heart .
    • It's never enough with Clay Aiken.
    • Doing the backstroke in a fondue ocean breathing through a cheese straw.
    • Well, it's really no wonder that next thing he knew she was all up on him screaming "Yeah! Yeah!"

Gosh, I hope I do this right....and I don't step on any toes either *waves at my boss couchie*...

Two more days until the California 4-fer! EEEEEEEEE

:Tour3: :Tour3: :Tour3:

Wheee!

I'd like to thank the Academy.. and all the little people. :medium-smiley-070:

My first FCA thread title (almost anyway!) how cool!!

I loved the low pants one, but wasn't reallllllllly looking forward to having 'hard-on' on the tab of my browser at work, lol.

In case anybody who wants one missed it in the last thread (note to self: don't post after one of KAndre's incredible recaps!) here are links to a couple August desktop calendars one from nofancyclothes' pix and one from scrpkym's.

Edited by cindilu2

First time on a first page!

Bringing this over from the last thread:

I found this report interesting (from Couchie's cousin):

Every label is different... There is no paint by the numbers way to say how things will be worked and promoted. Every artist is different. Every artist contract is different. The players involved for each artist may be different.

This reinforces something I've always believed, that there is no standard playbook as to how an artist should be promoted. So often, fans complain that Ruben got this or Kelly got that, that the label must hate Clay because he didn't get precisely every single promotion that another artist got -- even when Clay received different promotional opportunities.

Seems like every artist is promoted differently, so what applies to others may not necessarily apply to Clay. And he is, admittedly, a unique individual with an atypical fanbase. I'm not saying that necessarily excuses RCA for anything, but to me, it may explain the label's difficulty in trying to fashion the ideal marketing strategy for him. They aren't going to promote him like, say, Daughtrey, because guess what? He's NOT DAUGHTREY. Nor should he be.

Her statement also makes me wonder how much tangential information gathered by fans is necessarily applicable to Clay's situation. I appreciate that Couchie's cousin is upfront in saying that she doesn't know Clay or RCA, but can only report on her experience. I have a feeling that other "insiders" may not have been as frank (or at least, that their contacts were not).

Edited by JennaZ

pkmiller, that photo is bizarre. I have no idea if you can get a double exposure with a digital camera. I know you can get weird artifacts but I've taken thousands and thousands of digital photos and have never gotten anything like that. I guess you'd best not let Quiana see it.

Speaking of scary things......I got a letter from my Volkswagon dealer yesterday offering me.....get this....the opportunity to "upgrade" my Jetta. So, I want to know who up there at VW is watching me. How did they know that an offer to upgrade would cause me to read the entire length and breadth of their piece of junk mail? I ask you? What else do they know about me?

Kind of makes me laugh, though. German engineering and all that notwithstanding.....they aren't so smart, really. If I want to move my seat up in the Jetta I have this button on the side of the seat that I push.

ldyj, your new avi cracks me up everytime I see it. Yes, the old cut and paste.....like you want me to upset my work flow, eh? Like do them all at the end instead of one at a time? BWAH!!!!

Cut & paste, eh?

Nobody pays me to be anything, least of all smart.

Is this still first page? EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I just printed my boarding pass for California! I knew once this tour started the summer was going to fly by, dang it! I can't believe this week is already here and I'm packing again. I have to have lunch with a long lost friend who wants to have lunch after 14 years. Then I'll be back here cutting and pasting those clothes right back into my suitcase. Wait.....maybe black pants, black pants, black pants, yellow shirt, yellow shirt, yellow shirt won't work.

Crap!

Playbiller, I enjoyed your NJ recap, yours always have a little something that others haven't pointed out.

I may not always say it but I really enjoy reading all of the recaps. So thanks to all of you who take the time to post your memories for all of us to enjoy.

To the queen of the recap KAndre, I don't know how you do it, but it is always so much fun to read your "noveletts". I often feel like I am experiencing this stuff right along with you, and like play , I too am usually out of breath. I look forward to the next part.

Couchie, I really enjoyed your posts with info from your cousin. It is very interesting. It sounds like she loves what she is doing. One thing that really intersted me, was the part about how many from the digital side of the business are more "techies" and love that part of it more than say the ones from the physical (cd) side who may love the music more. I have to say and of course it is only moi opinion, but some of the crap that gets put out there as music makes me feel that it can't be from someone who loves music. I know that tastes differ and that there should be room for all kinds of expression. Unfortunately the crap is drowning out the good stuff.

I also think something is very wrong with an industry that is putting out thousands of CDs a year and radio formats are only playing 20 songs or so in constant rotation. Something should be done about that and I don't mean payola.

Thanks to all of you who share your wonderful photos. Theres always a nice spot to rest your eyes on this board.

When my batteries are low I have had some weird distortion that might be sort of a double exposure on my digital camera. It is a bit wierd, I don't know the techie aspects.

Couchie,

I don't know why anyone would not realize that there is not cookie cutter treatment for different artists. There are just too many variables. I would be a lot more concerned if there was cookie cutter stuff. A lot of things that your cousin said gives me more faith that there are still intellegent people working in the field. Unfortunately, I can identify in reverse the digital people. In my IT field, some people have decided that experience is not neccessary and everyone knows computers, so you can hire anyone out of college and get the same thing, only not. Do you know how much time I spent arguing about needing standards so that the F keys were the same on each screen and you did not need to hit F2 to go back on one page and F3 to go back on another? Business management sucks for everyone, much as I expected.

So did you and your cousin discuss Kelly specifically, or just someone who dissed the label? Do you think fans wishing death to the label head is a good idea either? I always felt I should not interfere in Clay's business side, except for buying product.

------------------------------------

Good thing I checked the id requirements before going off to get my drivers license renewed, they ask for different stuff this year. No, I do not carry my birth certificate around with me, but I do have a current tax bill.

------------

ETA - you go atinal - the only 20 songs in rotation make me not listen to the radio for the 2 hours going to the beach - too many repeats - come on, station programmers, have you not realized how incompetent you are? That you are the reason radio is dropping, besides IPOD love.

Edited by playbiller

The suits are trying so hard, operating on the model that they must tell people who and what to like, and they can't understand why it isn't working. But it's really so simple. Good music. Variety.

The suits are trying so hard, operating on the model that they must tell people who and what to like, and they can't understand why it isn't working. But it's really so simple. Good music. Variety.

Yep they definitely need to be more creative if they want to survive with the same profit margin. And Jeeze, I didn't realize ringtones was such a money maker... that's their way of recooping. But even that's not enough. I'm curious, do people make their own ringtones or is that something they can regulate fairly well. They need people with vision.

Of course I got the lecture for being a torrent ho.

I guess as far as radio goes ...I don't listen to it much. When I do, it's Urban AC that plays the oldies. And no matter what YEAR, not month - I tune in I'm guaranteed to hear the same music. They only add maybe 10 new songs all year long.

woo hooooooooo!

is this the first page????

I just semi-caught up - got back from Maine yesterday, and you all were v. v. chatty while I was gone!

After reading KAndre's diatribe about Toronto, I made a note to self: Remember the word poutine and avoid at all costs!

I may not be able to write a recap like KAndre's - but I will say I had a good time in Maine and might have a few good pictures to share if I ever get rested enough to take a stab at organizing them!

~

I'm not doing very well keeping up in the Clay world, but it's

ONLY 10 DAYS TILL CARY!!

:Tour3: :F_05BL17blowkiss: :Tour3: :F_05BL17blowkiss: :Tour3:

waves to Diva and wishes her a belated Happy Birthday!!

~

eta: I forgot to address the ghost photo question........ because I think I know the answer!!

the "ghost" image is what happens when the digital camera lens is still open and the photographer moves the camera, usually when lowering it from the eye.

You can see another example of it HERE and sometimes it creates very interesting visual effects!! (scroll down a little to the one in the middle of Clay in white)

Edited by cha cha trusty

couch,dear, could you or someone please direct me to the page number where you wrote about the music biz from your cousin's POV? I can't seem to find it and would be very interested. Thanks!

Have a blast California concert goers!

Kind of makes me laugh, though. German engineering and all that notwithstanding.....they aren't so smart, really. If I want to move my seat up in the Jetta I have this button on the side of the seat that I push.

LOL! Took me a minute... it's early, yo!

My sister and her daughter moved in with me last night. She's finally divorcing the asshole. *the world cheers* I made her leave the house because he obviously isn't going to. Oy. Lord help me survive this! :drama:

There's a great M&G recap from Canandaigua on the OFC by ClaySiempre. It's in her blog, so I didn't ask if it could be posted... figured ya'll could go read it if you were interested. It sort of answers the "secret" arm hair thang, and also gives Clay's thoughts on Clack. And it's entertaining...and has a cute ending. I know her from CP - she's a good egg.

Diva... click on View New Posts at the top of the board. That should show you a few links with the Cousin Chat being one of them (last one, I think). :)

Awww, RIP Bill Walsh! *sniff*

Edited by YSRN

couch,dear, could you or someone please direct me to the page number where you wrote about the music biz from your cousin's POV? I can't seem to find it and would be very interested. Thanks!

Have a blast California concert goers!

Ahhh you asked so nicely I can't even put you on MY LIST of people who don't use VIEW NEW POSTS :cryingwlaughter:

Here you go

I forgot to say I was sad that KAndre missed the island off of Toronto - granted I was there for a week, but that would have been my favorite thing to see if it had not been mating time and was a bit noisy, but I did like seeing the swimming beach and the yacht club as well. Spent a lot of time shopping in the subway, as well. I guess there are some limits to doing everything in a day and having the air flights screwed (tm Clay) up.

Are there still swan boats there?

Edited by playbiller

I think this will work if you are logged in. Scroll down to her second most recent blog.

If the link doesn't work, log in, look at the list of members online at the bottom of the page (this is the OFC, not the message board), and click ClaySiempre's name.

http://www.clayonline.com/blog.html?displa...8&add_blog=

And, er, thanks for the congrats. I'm sure it will be an interesting adventure. Oy.

Edited by YSRN

I'm not doing very well keeping up in the Clay world, but it's

ONLY 10 DAYS TILL CARY!!

:Tour3: :F_05BL17blowkiss: :Tour3: :F_05BL17blowkiss: :Tour3:

Wheee! Another countdown! :RedGuy:

Thanks for this. I enjoyed reading it. So when are they going to announce the rest of the m&g winners??????

Are there still swan boats there?

Last time I went there were. It wouldn't be the same without them!

Edited by lickiest1

I think this will work if you are logged in. Scroll down to her second most recent blog.

If the link doesn't work, log in, look at the list of members online at the bottom of the page (this is the OFC, not the message board), and click her name.

And, er, thanks for the congrats. I'm sure it will be an interesting adventure. Oy.

Whose blog is this? If there's a way to tell from the page, I'm not seeing it, lol.

Couchie, I hear ya about not listening to radio, I don't either. That's kind of my point. If they would play something other than the same 20 songs all of the time I might. I'm like Clay with the drumstick or conductor's baton, whatever he used. I feel like screwing it into my ear. There are places of business that have radio's on when you go in, like hair salons, stores even some restraunts and I hear the same songs in those places. Even taking Clay out of the mix (as if he were ever in it), it's hard for me to believe that the general public wants to hear the same few songs over and over and over. It's not bad enough that they play the same songs, half of the songs even sound alike

Ahem, muski's on the road I think, so I'll take this one:

that would have been my favorite thing to see if it had not been mating time and was a bit noisy,

Would that be the mating time of the pale-bellied Canadian males KAndre seemed to encounter at every turn? And this would occur exactly when - just for reference purposes and all. :eusa_whistle:

And I still don't get what exactly poutine is, although I'm not sure I want to know.

Eeeegads.............Someone stole my husband and replaced him with someone who is delirious and talking nonsense. He wants to sell everything out and move to South America. Ecuador no less.........Where the hell did this come from?

KAndre once again you prove why you are the woman. Great recap. Full of your usual humor and great storytelling ability. Anxiously awaiting your next installment.

couchie thanks for giving us some info about the business from your cousin. It does sort of give credence to what a lot of us have said and suspected over the last year. Jenna as usual, great post. I like to read your thoughts.

pkmiller thanks for posting that photo. I right clicked and saved since I was at that concert. Sorry I didn't see you to say hello. It sure looks like miss lady brady hee.

jmh123, man I loved those pics you brought over here.

ldyjocelyn I love your new avatar. He is so dweamy isn't he?

Can't stay. I'm having real problems. It hurts me too much to sit for long. Must go find something to clean. Maybe later...........

Whose blog is this? If there's a way to tell from the page, I'm not seeing it, lol.

It's by ClaySiempre. I got to it by clicking on her profile at the bottom.

And I still don't get what exactly poutine is, although I'm not sure I want to know.

Hee, all it really is is french fries with cheese curds and gravy. The idea is that the gravy will melt the cheese, making it into an ooey, gooey, delicious mess.....and a heart attack waiting to happen. mmmmmmmmmmm :wub:

Edited by lickiest1

If the link doesn't work, log in, look at the list of members online at the bottom of the page (this is the OFC, not the message board), and click her name.

YSRN, is there any chance of getting this brought over here for those of us who do not belong to the OFC? Pretty Please

Edited by treenuts

It's by ClaySiempre. I got to it by clicking on her profile at the bottom.

Hee, all it really is is french fries with cheese curds and gravy. The idea is that the gravy will melt the cheese, making it into an ooey, gooey, delicious mess.....and a heart attack waiting to happen. mmmmmmmmmmm :wub:

Thanks lickiest, I actually realized that as I was reading it. Do you remember me wracking my brain at Syracuse, trying to remember the name of the gal in the wheelchair? Well it was ClaySiempre.

And poutine is indeed a gooey, delicious mess. I lurves it! But you haven't really had poutine til you've had it in Quebec.

eta:

YSRN, is there any chance of getting this brought over here for those of us who do not belong to the OFC? Pretty Please

Sorry treenuts - copying shhstuff from the OFC is... wait for it.... FORBODEN! :imgtongue:

Edited by cindilu2