# 8 My titanium balled, taking his life into his big hands,

Ansamcw

Thread Title Poll  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What should the next thread title be for the FCA Forum?

• I really look forward to hearing Clay bring a sexy Moon River back
    • All this talk of Moon River has made pour a nice glass of red wine, curl up on my sofa with Waldo
    • It makes your girl parts vibrate
    • The board of easy women
    • It's just that Clay's world is so much more than us. So much more than fans and concert dates and venue choices and juvenile exchanges on his fan site. He's just so much more.
    • He's just so much more.
    • He's a man of a 1000 faces and all of them are great to look at.
    • They have not fallen down on their knees and kissed his lily white ass!

Truth be told. I felt scammed & conned, by them telling me my votes count when it is clearly evident they didn't. I was fuming that I was stupid enough to be duped into believing the voting was on the up and up.

Clayzorback, I don't mean to be argumentative, but how do you KNOW the voting wasn't on the up and up and that your votes didn't count? IMO no one has ever presented actual evidence of this. Because the phone lines were jammed? Well, they were jammed for those voting for Ruben too. Because there weren't enough phone lines? Well, there weren't enough for Ruben fans either. Because allegedly Clay had won each week and yet he didn't win the finale? Well, maybe all or most of Kim Locke's supporters switched to Ruben and voted their little fingers off. I remember reading at the time how mad a lot of them were that she was vote off that week after Clay messed up "Vincent".

I for one have never bought the theory that Clay lost because AI made sure he lost. They treated him as the winner so what difference would it have made to them one way or the other? Yes, they didn't have enough phone lines. This was only the second season and I don't think anyone had any idea how many people would vote in the finals. They started adding more phone lines the next season. For that matter, the only time I ever voted was during the finals that year and I got through to vote for Clay without too much trouble at all.

I do not now nor ever have believed it was fixed. Did they have a preference? Perhaps, but I believe the votes counted and were legit. For all we know, if they had had more phone lines Ruben could have won by a more substantial margin!

ETA: The video with Clay is up on the GMA website. Click on "Watch video" under Diane's picture.

Edited by Claygasm

I really have nothing to base it on but my gut (which is meaningless) but I believe Clay would have won had technology allowed for it. And although I believe TPTB were thrilled with a Ruben win and that rubbed the salt in the wound a little deeper, I still say it's cuz they didn't know what the heck to do with Clay. But I never believed foul play was involved. I do wonder sometimes how things would have been different had he won. The surprise of the underdog's success pushed him into the straosphere. Would simply a win have done that? I wonder. But he also had to face "but he didn't even win" flack as well.

Clayzorback wrote:

Welcome Karen Eh? Photographer extraordinaire!!!!! I saw this picture posted somewhere and I think you made it. I was wondering if you would mind if I used it for my avatar? I know you made it for Jill at LBFCA, waves to Jill, but I don't see her using it anywhere. So what say you? Purdy please... You know from my name I'm from Arkansas.........*g*

Well, thanks! But, unfortunately, I didn't make that chop. It's from one of my photos but it was made for Jill by Lewd at the LBFCA/CH. So, I guess she would be the person to ask.

Thanks for the screencaps playbiller. I've been looping this GMA video over and over. Lord have mercy but I'll take what I can get! I don't suppose the little girls in that clip care one bit that I'm donating for school supplies because their goodwill ambassador looks so hawt in his pattu. Dayum! I think those little pats on his chest are a shout out to my palpitations.

I really have nothing to base it on but my gut (which is meaningless) but I believe Clay would have won had technology allowed for it. And although I believe TPTB were thrilled with a Ruben win and that rubbed the salt in the wound a little deeper, I still say it's cuz they didn't know what the heck to do with Clay. But I never believed foul play was involved. I do wonder sometimes how things would have been different had he won. The surprise of the underdog's success pushed him into the straosphere. Would simply a win have done that? I wonder. But he also had to face "but he didn't even win" flack as well.

Oh I think its very possible Clay would have won if the technology had allowed, but both he and Ruben had the same technology working for or against them. It was, IMO, an even playing field.

Personally, I think Clay benefited from being the runner-up in such a very tight race. I think he got much more mileage out of it. I actually always felt a little sorry for Ruben. He and Clay were really treated like co-winners and I always felt he was robbed of his time in the sun. Just goes to show what a great guy he is that he never seemed to let it bother him and he never seemed to resent Clay or his success.

Does anyone else think Clay looks a little like Jesus in that GMA clip? Or Jesus with shorter hair? Or just one of his prophets??

Oh, I asked this yesterday but it was lost among my rants. Does anyone remember the book Clay was carrying in one of those airport pictures that was something about Afghanistan? I remember because some used that as the first clue that was where he was going on this UNICEF trip but I can't find the picture nor can I remember the name of the book. Anyone??

Personally, I think Clay benefited from being the runner-up in such a very tight race. I think he got much more mileage out of it. I actually always felt a little sorry for Ruben. He and Clay were really treated like co-winners and I always felt he was robbed of his time in the sun. Just goes to show what a great guy he is that he never seemed to let it bother him and he never seemed to resent Clay or his success.

Except they really werre co-winners - they said as much on the show. I think Clay would have benefitted more from technology than Ruben. I know so many people who could not get through at all for Clay - soooooo Many people. The only people I know who could not get trhough at all for Ruben were in Chicago area (maybe Alabama). In North Carolina and New Jersey, I can tell you about 3 phones each on auto redial that never got through once in 3 hours and how frustrating that was. Nope, don't think there is any question who would have benefitted from more phone lines. This is not a diss on Ruben, it just is. AI wanted a closer finish tahan they had on season 1 and they got it. They declared Clay and Ruben should be treated like Co-winners, only it did not happen.

Now - do I think that the runner up benefitted Clay - yes. did it hurt him - yes and ditto for Ruben. The big whoha they drummed up in people the uneven Entertainment Tonite playing field certainly caused emotions, as did the Newsweek article which came out before the finale (Have to stop Clay, must not let Kim into the finale, must help Ruben - crapola) and then Rolling Stone gate. Yeah, there were issues and it fed the paranoia that exists today in the fandom. But in the big picture - it will all work out eventually, People still mention star search and Mickey Mouse club with Christina, but it is more a footnote than the description, we just need a little time and space and the show to go off the air (which it looks like Simon is helping along with his comments to EWwwwww). For me it is over, but for many in the fandom is it still an open sore. I do think it is abit hypocritical for people to complain about how Daughtry is being treated and the winner should get more, while being in this fandom and defending what Clay got that Ruben did not - even though it was not nearly as close with Daughtry -hee.

Right now what we have is humanitarian Clay, who was brought to us by fans who funded his imaginary foundation because they wanted Clay to be the bestest - and the BAF led to the UNNICEF and the speaking engagements and the Presidents commission, etc. It started by fan jealousy, but does it matter if it ended in such good stuff. I can't be carrying grudges against some fans who got more recognition than others or any of that crap. I cannot ever become a hater. I think it would take a lot of scorched puppies (like real ones or something) to make me drop Clay, but another year like this one and I may not be an internet fan amymore, still a fan of Clay though.

The donation "thermometer" on the UNICEF donation page is now showing 50%. I hope that is an accurate depiction of the current giving, and that the web people aren't just messing around with the graphics.

Claygasm, after some searching, I found the book Clay had is his hand in the LAX photos was Rory Stewart’s “The Places In Between”. That is the author that was also featured in this morning's Diane Sawyer interview that was linked above. Small world, huh?

ETA: The CH link to the airport photo.

Claygasm, no problem.

I don't have any "proof" to support anything about the phone lines. I am just expressing my opinions and they are based on numerous factors. I do know from watching and reading interviews that the show did not want Clay to win. They stated they didn't want him to win because they thought he was gay, and they didn't think he had the right image and was not marketable. I don't remember what show or where I saw this interview, but I watched from Pax's site. Plus, recently it was discussed again, briefly,on MSNBC when they talked about the AI voting. Another thing that makes me think they were not being on the up and up about the voting? Because Clay himself, as well as other contestants, had stated that he was getting 80 per cent of the votes every single week and all of a sudden he loses by a one percent margin? Also on the finale of Season 2 when they showed the crowds gathered from each ones home town, Clay had many more people. I also factor in the knowledge that the shows producers and others affiliated with the show, have stated that they have safety nets in place that allows them to pick the winner of their choice, no matter who gets the most votes, if America chooses someone they don't think they can market or who they think have no talent. I believe Clay did win and he got the majority of the votes that night and they exercised their safety net to chose someone else. I believe a lot of spin was going on. I agree, however, that Clay benefited from coming in second. Benefited greatly from it and nobody is happier than me.

I think Ruben and Clay both, were perfect gentleman and showed class and I also think Ruben is smart enough to know he didn't really win. I don't begrudge him a career at all and I feel sorry for him. I've always said that about Ruben. He is a friend of Clay's and I don't see any animosity from either of them. They've moved on from it, and that is what I am trying to do. I'm not trying to take away from anyone else's enjoyment or opinions of the show. Really I'm not. You could be very well be right.

Thanks Karen Eh? for the correction. I couldn't remember if it was you or not. I will PM Lewd at LBFCA.........

Those are great screen caps from The Clayboard. Clay does fit in with the look. Hee

They stated they didn't want him to win because they thought he was gay

Ok, I will need to see this to believe it. Even if they thought that I doubt they would say it. It would open them up to all sorts of discrimnation law suits!

I have to say I never heard anyone in the know say they didn't want him to win but even if they did, I still do not believe they "fixed" the results. I'm telling you, if they could do that Taylor never would have won last year!

Bottle, thanks for tracking that down for me! I had a feeling that was the author on the GMA clip. His name and the subject of his walking across Afghanistan sounded familiar! So I need to add this and the book muski read to my list of books waiting to be read sitting on my coffee table!

Peeking in...

Wow. For the Afghanistan pictures. My God, he's amazing. Bet he had fun dressing in those clothes, don't you? Baggy pants, boots, long shirts not tucked in. Haven't been able to watch the GMA video clip yet.

Wow. For the Diane Sawyer mention of Clay in her ABC online report...and it tugged at my heartstrings when after the Clay mention Diane sequed into the mention of Rory Stewart by saying...."We met someone else who has dedicated his life to Afghanistan — cultural anthropologist Rory Stewart, who actually walked across the entire country." Now, true, Clay hasn't dedicated his LIFE just to Afghanistan, but still......

Wowohwowohwow. Unreal. Over half the goal in less than 24 hours? Unreal. Wonder how many individual donors there were...

So while I was getting dressed early this morning, I had the tv on in my room and I heard the anchorwoman say, "A treat this morning--a former American Ido contestant will perform for us."

huh?

So guess who? Ok, I'll tell you. Jon Peter Lewis! Pen salesman, himself! He had his guitar and sang two songs he wrote that will be on his CD---which, according to their interview is the first 'independently produced" cd from an AI person?????Whatever. The lyrics were very odd...he sounded very ordinary. Blah blah...THEN I hear that's he's playing some club HERE in Albuquerque Sunday night!

BWAHAHAHA! (no, I'm not going... :rolleyes: ) But it was all so weird to see and hear that guy on tv.

Geez! Look at this! He's almost at 75% now!

It can't all be "us" and those wanting pictures and an autograph, can it????

$100,000 in 10 Days

Awwww I love this...

Hey its very possible...you only need 2000 people to want that pdf and youhave 100K...I really hope he gets more than 100K cos this is indeed an important cause...

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE so proud of Clay right now

They stated they didn't want him to win because they thought he was gay

Ok, I will need to see this to believe it. Even if they thought that I doubt they would say it. It would open them up to all sorts of discrimnation law suits!

I have to say I never heard anyone in the know say they didn't want him to win but even if they did, I still do not believe they "fixed" the results. I'm telling you, if they could do that Taylor never would have won last year!

I think I know what Clayzorback is talking about...I know that since the anomaly there has been one or two pseudo experts that have gone on air or wrote in articles stating this as fact when in actuality no one in AI is on record ever saying so and I really do think these people are just saying this on speculation. But that certainly is a very interesting time in AI history and one of these days....Nigel or Ken or someone high up in AI will write a tell all book and I hope we find out what really happened.

I am in the camp that thinks Ruben was pimped to get a competition going. I think there are factions in the AI family that wanted Ruben to win...but I think RCA i.e. Clive always had his eye on Clay. I guess the fact that everything seemed to be more ready for Clay to bring out his CD first made me think RCA was preparing for him even before the competition ended.

I personally think that this is how its supposed to be because in the end you got two winners, which I doubt would've happened if Ruben won. I think he woudl;ve been signed up by RCA but I don;t think he woudl;ve gotten as much promotion and attention if he came in second. I think he would've gotten the Guarini treatment.In all of the 6 seasons...Clay was the only runner up that was treated as a winner from the very beginning. Right from the time he got his contract awarded on the show, and his CD seeming to be a priority over the winner.

Do you really want this discussion here or in the AI2 thread - because you have to take what Josh and Kim said, not so much Carmen as she left earlier and you have to take into consideration what Simon was quoted as saying in that Newsweek article. These were insiders, not external experts and they did not bring sexuality into the discussion, just marketing. BWAH!

Geez! Look at this! He's almost at 75% now!

It can't all be "us" and those wanting pictures and an autograph, can it????

$100,000 in 10 Days

Well it did go out to the UNICEF mailing list..I'm sure not just the Clay fan list but have to say...once I saw that autographed report for $1000 all doubts went away about what would happen. heee..just didn't expect it so fast.

CG -yep the technology issues evened the playing field but doesn't really make it fair if one was way out in front. I just think that person was Clay. But, what it does do is make me get over it because I don't see it as some deliberate attempt to deny Clay a win. It goes in the shit happens category for me.

Clayzor - I think there was much written about the finale, especially in the "reality tv" community but I've never seen anyone inside the AI camp admit to anything regarding the ending they got. Hell it took them 3 years to admit Clay was winning every week - before that it was just rumour. CG, Besides comments about the right person winning, I think they did much to try to shore up that win for the first 6 months or so and then said..forget it. LOL. e.g. CLay sold more singles than Ruben because of the song.. etc. A year later Paula seemed downright depressed at the turn of events and actually said on Seacrest that it was Ruben's turn now. Huh?

Ah Muski, is going to see Pen Boi. May sure to get some PACK. heee

And here I sit…..waiting for another “Idol Mansion Skit”

heee Karen, I understand totally. Like somebody else said, you had better rush to eeeeee over that Clay appearance because in an hour or two the focus was off the eeee worthy and on to how RCA forked him over or to what went wrong and then the boring marketing/business stampede and how it should have been done better.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE I love watching that needle move up up up.

Do you really want this discussion here or in the AI2 thread - because you have to take what Josh and Kim said, not so much Carmen as she left earlier and you have to take into consideration what Simon was quoted as saying in that Newsweek article. These were insiders, not external experts and they did not bring sexuality into the discussion, just marketing. BWAH!

The thing is I don;t consider the AI contestants as AI insiders. They are probably speculating just like us and basing it a lot of gossip backstage. Even with the judges I think the only one that really knew what AI TBTP wanted was Simon...and I bet he has his own opinions and don;t necesarily agreed with them. Not saying that the contestants opinion were wrong...but I say they do not speak for AI.

eta:

That may be true, but they know a heck of a lot more than I do speculation wise and they do have some perspective.

you have a point here play but I think the other reason why I do take their opinion with some salt is because they were also in the competition with Ruben. The pimping of Ruben didn;t only affect Clay but affected them as well specially Josh and Kim...so its possible that their views are colored by that...but yes they have access to info that most of the fans won't have. I wouldn't dismiss their views just not take them as gospel.

That may be true, but they know a heck of a lot more than I do speculation wise and they do have some perspective.

Now, I just sent the UNICEF links and ABC links to sirlinks a lot to be included in their pages - sometimes you have to shove them. If anything else comes up in the next few hours can someone else send it to them? The do put the links up and it helps to counter some of the crap. And I am outta here!

I have to admit I didn't follow every word said about AI2. It didn't bother me much that he "lost" when it happened. I wasn't all that invested in him - yet. Plus I also liked Ruben. I did vote in the finale for Clay. I actually thought it was pretty cool he lost by only a slight margin. Never thought of it as an anomoly. All I knew is Clay was getting a recording contract. He was on my TV a lot. He was on the cover of lots of magazines. He wasn't going anywhere. I stopped caring whether or not he won AI2 the moment they announced Ruben won.

Consequently I only picked up bits here and there about comments from the judges etc. I am sure some did feel like Paula - like Ruben deserved his time to shine. Clay did, unintentionally, completely overshadowed him.

I really have a hard time understanding why, after 4 years and tons of success, anyone still cares about whether he should have won AI2! If not winning had denied him his chance for a record deal and he had faded away, ok. That I would get. But he's done pretty well for himeself so who cares?

The bottom line is Ruben DID win. He will forever be in the history books as the winner of AI2. There should be no asterick next to his name. He won fair and square. There is no way to ever know what could have been if they had more phone lines. So why not let it go?

Frankly, I am more interested in what Clay is doing today than I am in trying to rewrite history. And just look at what he is doing today! The man is one hawt, uber-talented inspiration - with the ability to conjure up hundreds of thousands of dollars with the wink of his gorgeous green eyes!

I think it unfortunately will always be discussed until American Idol goes away and with the way things are going..that will be the next millineum. I don't mind discussing it but am long over the emotional investment. Like you said, Clay has done too well as today's events show. But every year something happens to bring back the "rawness" of the moment to a portion of the fandom.

Heh...

UPDATE: Clay Aiken's Appeal for Afghanistan

Thank you, Claymates

What an excellent Friday! It is only 3 p.m. on Day 2 of Clay Aiken's $100,000 Challenge for Afghanistan. We're thrilled to tell you that we've already raised $59,635. That's more than half of our original goal . . . and we've got 8 more days to go.

This money will be used to help kids in Afghanistan. UNICEF will provide medical supplies, text books and meet other urgent needs.

Thanks to so many of you for forwarding Clay's appeal to fund UNICEF's work in Afghanistan to your friends and posting it on your blog.

We also wanted to update you on the field report Clay and UNICEF will provide to donors who reply to this appeal. If you contribute $50 or more by April 22nd, UNICEF will e-mail you a link to a PDF file of Clay's exclusive field report by May 15. The report will photos from Clay's trip that won't appear anywhere else. For those who able to donate $1,000 or more, UNICEF will mail an autographed copy of the report. All donations made through the email link, the Clay's Appeal link on the homepage of UNICEFusa.org, and the link on Clay's offical site will be eligible to receive the field report. Even if you made the donation before you got the email, we'll still send you the report.

Have you posted Clay's Afghanistan challenge on your blog, site, MySpace page? Please let us know what you're doing for this program by posting a comment here.

So we've already raised $59.635. How much do you think we can raise in 8 more days to help the kids of Afghanistan?

http://fieldnotes.unicefusa.org/

Heh...I liked this one too...

[On TV] Idol Gives Back: Will Simon Sing for $50 million?

Yesterday Fieldnotes reader Sheila asked if we could give advance notice when UNICEF is going to be featured on TV. We do our best, but sometimes we’re also taken by surprise!

Last night during American Idol there was a great clip of Simon Cowell in Kenya, featuring UNICEF’s school in a box education kit. UNICEF’s school in the box is an innovative way to ensure that kids receive an education no matter what circumstances they face. The kit is essentially a portable school that can teach 80 kids, for only $183. Simon Cowell, who has a reputation for being overly harsh, revealed a softer side while he was with those children in Kenya talking about education.

Simon and Ryan’s trip to Africa is part of the Idol Gives Back effort. On April 24 and 25, American Idol will help raise funds to avert poverty in the U.S. and Africa.

My favorite part last night’s show was after the clip. Ryan asked Simon if he would sing if Idol Gives Back raises $20 million – Simon said no, Ryan said, how about $22 million? Still a firm “no” from Simon. I agree with Simon, let’s set our sights higher. My challenge is, will Simon sing for $50 million? I think $50 million is totally achievable, and if we come together and make a difference.

Here’s how it works: for each vote sent on April 24th, a donation will be made to fight poverty, and on April 25th viewers can phone in their donations directly. American Idol has 35 million viewers, and to reach $50 million, that’s just $1.42 per viewer. That’s half the price of a gallon of gas these days!

Let’s come together to help children in need, and finally hear what Simon’s pipes are like! Actually, let’s take the heat off of Simon and ask the all of the judges sing together for $50 million, it can be their turn to be on stage. More importantly, this is our chance to do our part to see that children can have a brighter future, for just $1.42.

If you want to hear Simon, Randy and Paula sing for $50 million, please e-mail idolgivesback@fox.com. Post a comment here to let us know what you thought about last night's show.

I'm willing to give $1.43 to critique Simon's singing!