#31: The Very Handsome Sir Clay of Aiken

ldyjocelyn

FCA Thread Title Poll  

38 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• The man with the titanium balls - and the voice to back them up!
    • OMG, chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills
    • They are seeing what WE see ? a brilliant, intelligent, and genuinely funny and lovely man.
    • Clay Aiken, I love your mad talented, tender-hearted, freakin' Broadway star, soul!
    • I'm totally jonesing for Clay Aiken's voice right now. God! I need to be sedated.
    • I could listen to that Raleigh son rattle on all day long. He makes me smile.
    • The whole damn thing was perfect!

Oh God - I feel like I need a shower. Against advice I wandered elsewhere. Clay doesn't need enemies.......he has fans! Sheesh. Back here where it's safe.

I forgot to mention that my favorite songs so far are Sacrificial Love and The Real Me. Those are the ones I keep humming (to myself....of course) when the music isn't on. I like bits and parts of others but need to listen more.

As long...I love this song...

"lets make the most of our time...I;ll make the most of our time...as long as we're here"

yup..I agree...

And according to some out there, he won't be here long!

I think Clay will be fine.

I think Clay will be with RCA as long as they'll have him (cause he said so) and I suspect RCA wants him because even in bad economic times, he manages to sell well enough to be in the top 5 his first week.

And who knows, this may be the little album that could. Starts off slow but keeps chugging along until one day you look around and see its sold rather well. The difference I see between this and ATDW - other than the reality of the times now as compared to 2 years ago - is that I think this album is good enough to keep selling - word of mouth, people stumbling upon it on various sites, etc. Who knows, maybe even radio!

Clay will be fine and he'll be around for a long time to come - if he wants to be.

All I see is that Clay, for his fourth straight album, is on track to be in the top five of Billboard's Hot 200.

He's put out another CD that I love.

The old paradigms are dead.

Some time it seems the only ones who don't that are the members of the Clay Nation dedicated to hyperbole.

Here's the HDD article -- and I wonder about it sometimes. They are NEVER wrong -- or at least the final numbers seem to always match the first day projections. Yesterday I check HDD for Madonna's final numbers and there were no updates all day long. Nothing. Until the FINAL was posted in late afternoon and the numbers were exactly those projected - same with the #2 and #3 positions. I think the final numbers will match the projections NO MATTER WHAT.

I don't get the whole thing about Neil Diamond. He hasn't had a hit in nearly 30 years. So why the big push for Neil Diamond? Because the great, iconic producer Rick Rubin is involved. Yes, he's been working on Neil Diamond and Metallica! (???????????) I have to say that Rubin is selling this record more than Neil Diamond -- and I thought Diamond sucked on Idol -- his voice went south a long time ago. But Rick Rubin must be bowed down to, don't you know?

I agree that the "fear of competition" drumbeat I heard recently was all about Groban and DeGraw and 2nd week Madonna. What are the chances that Rick Rubin may be buying 100,000 copies of Neil's CD to maintain his reputation as a living legend producer! Just a thought ... because the Neil Diamond deal baffles me.

DIAMOND IS A CHART’S BEST FRIEND

Legend’s Rick Rubin-Produced Columbia Album Will Debut at #1

May 7, 2008

It’s been 42 years since Neil Diamond released his debut album in 1966, The Feel of Neil Diamond.

The veteran singer-songwriter proves he’s still got the waist movement, Cherry, with his latest Columbia Records release, Home After Dark, produced by label creative chief Rick Rubin, set to debut at #1 next week for Steve Barnett and company with a one-week total of 125-130k.

That number, which could go higher with Mother’s Day weekend sales, should be more than enough to beat out Madonna’s WB release, Hard Candy, which appears on tap for between 85-95k after one week on top.

It’ll be the first chart-topping bow for Diamond in his four-decade-long career, based on one-day reports from all those music retailers recovered enough from Cinco de Mayo festivities to return our e-mails.

Diamond's last album for the label, 2005’s 12 Songs, the first one produced by Rubin, saw its sales stunted by Andy Lack’s rootkit fiasco, though it recovered enough to eventually go gold.

RCA American Idol alum Clay Aiken is On My Own Here, with loyal Claymates pushing his first-week sales total to 80-85k, just ahead of fellow J Records heartthrob Gavin DeGraw’s self-titled sophomore album with 75-80k.

Other chart newcomers include Show Dog Mercury country star Toby Keith’s 35 Biggest Hits, on target for 60-70k, followed by 143/Reprise pop crooner Josh Groban’s live CD/DVD package at 50-55k and a greatest hits compilation from Capitol Nashville’s latest Real Men of Genius subject Dierks Bentley at 30-35k.

The market was up 10% over last week, down 10% vs. the same week last year and down 11% year to date, which seems to be following the trajectory of George W.’s approval rating.

Haven't been logged on for 2 days. I had to laugh at CG's summation although unfortunately I'm guessing that's what's happening at the other boards. I always wonder when people say he isn't getting enough promo - what do they want? Seems like he's got a pretty significantly full schedule this week and next.

But I've decided worrying about numbers, etc. is a waste of time. Clay made the CD he wanted to make. Handpicked the songs. To all outward appearances he LOVES his CD. So - like he said - you can't blame RCA this time!! He'll either continue making the CDs he wants to make, singing the songs he wants to sing, or he'll get a lesson learned possibly and figure out where to go next.

I live in a forest. The nearest town has 3000 residents. There is a KMart and a WalMart and they're across the road from each other. On any given day there are possibly 25 cars parked at KMart and probably about 300 parked at WalMart. (the KMart is wretched!) But I stopped at KMart on the way to the Bay Area yesterday morning and had to wait while the guy unpacked the CDs. I counted 20 OMWH's. I bought 2. He couldn't find the posters so I went back today to find what was left of the CD prominently posted and get my posters.....there was ONE CD left. So there are 17 fans of that CD somewhere in this little bitty town.

I was disappointed in the amount of Clay time on GMA this morning but there was alot of other stuff going on and they are basically a news show. I hope he gets more air time in the coming days.

I LOVE this!! I simply refuse to buy into the gloom this time.

Clay (which is Team Clay as far as I'm concerned) knew what he was doing when he decided to release this CD now, knowing that he couldn't do much pre-promotion. So I'm keeping faith (*waves*) that they have plans. Plans that you and I and all the fan experts are privvy to. Thank god. The sorry state of music sales is something I see almost every day in *my* limited access to the news (which consists of scanning headlines on my homepage, and The Daily Show, lol). And even I knew to expect less this time. So I'm guessing that the record companies did too. I truly believe they're thinking long-term this time. I'm going with that until I don't believe it any more. Meantime, I've got a fan-fucking-tastic CD to listen to, and some luscious Clack to drool over.

And yeah, I think the only people who are looking at these numbers and weeping are the 'fans'.

I was so wishing that we could not get caught up in numbers this time around. He's so much more than that.

Fortunately, there's no universal "we" here at FCA. Love the perspectives here today.

He will never make another album.

Its all RCA's fault.

Lousy promotion.

Bye Clay.

It won't continue to sell well.

The label will drop him with numbers like these.

Its all RCA's fault.

He will never even go gold.

No other label will touch him.

Its all RCA's fault.

No radio play - no album sales (is Neil Diamond getting radio play from his current album?).

He will never tour off those numbers.

Its all ATDW's fault.

Its all RCA's fault.

These and other doom and gloom predictions are brought to you by Clay's dedicated fans.

BWAH! And :cry4: at the same damn time....

But I've decided worrying about numbers, etc. is a waste of time. Clay made the CD he wanted to make. Handpicked the songs. To all outward appearances he LOVES his CD. So - like he said - you can't blame RCA this time!! He'll either continue making the CDs he wants to make, singing the songs he wants to sing, or he'll get a lesson learned possibly and figure out where to go next.

Bolding mine. Iseeme, this whole paragraph is me, and the bolded part is something I've been saying for YEARS. So many seem to be afraid to let him "try and fail" (and I'm NOT saying that OMWH is a failure, far from it), so he can grow. And then....

"lets make the most of our time...I;ll make the most of our time...as long as we're here"

yup..I agree...

I see so many lessons in the lyrics to this album, that I wish some of the fans could learn from as well. It seems to me that Clay really has taken these past few years to heart -- grown, changed, and became who he is today from what he's done in the past. I'm sure he knows that mistakes were made -- I'm not going to get into a blame game over those though, and I don't think Clay would either. Anyway, I see him looking inward at himself, and coming up with a very personal album, with some very universal themes. He's laid it on the line, and that's so brave. It's also very difficult to look inward like that. And yet...I do wish some in the fandom could do the same. "We" need to learn from our recent history, with the angst over ATDW. It's not happening, and it makes me so sad.

And in the meantime, everyone posted more good stuff. :::bows to all of you:::

yup..I agree...

And according to some out there, he won't be here long!

I think Clay will be fine.

I think Clay will be with RCA as long as they'll have him (cause he said so) and I suspect RCA wants him because even in bad economic times, he manages to sell well enough to be in the top 5 his first week.

And who knows, this may be the little album that could. Starts off slow but keeps chugging along until one day you look around and see its sold rather well. The difference I see between this and ATDW - other than the reality of the times now as compared to 2 years ago - is that I think this album is good enough to keep selling - word of mouth, people stumbling upon it on various sites, etc. Who knows, maybe even radio!

Clay will be fine and he'll be around for a long time to come - if he wants to be.

WORD!!! Preach it sistah!!!!

with hardly a sweat from RCA Clay is projected to sell just behind Neil and Madonna...I would hold on to that kind of artist with both hands and feet.

I guess this CD has such power that I just laugh at those doom and gloom prediction...

cos I have a great CD to listen to that has 3 or 4 single potential. I don;t think RCA will just give up on this CD.

KF...Neil has a huge fanbase since he has been around for decades. He is also one of the most succesful concert acts out there. This tells me that his fans are willing to spend on him. I also suspect they skew older so has more money to buy CD's.

As to radio being so important - apparently Gavin McGraw had over 2000 spins last week compared to Clay's 20-something.

People just need to chill and open their eyes to the world as it is today. Like everyone else, I cringe when I have to buy gas, worry about how I will pay off my much higher than expected propane bill at the end of my budget cycle, faint when I have to buy milk or bread. I work in an industry dependent on people being willing to spend money on what they want, not what they need - and things are slow here overall. Any industry involved with discretionary spending is hurting - and the music industry is no different. Add that to the effect the internet has had on CD sales and its a recipe for disaster.

I know ATDW - an album of covers - sold over 200K its first week, but while that was not that long ago, it was another time, another era. And since scandel sells, it wouldn't surprise me if all the crap actually made people curious enough to buy the CD!

I think all involved - Clay, TC, RCA - everyone were very realistic about how this CD would sell. I doubt any of them are surprised or terribly disappointed. Frankly, the only worry they may have (and that I too may have) is how many of his core fanbase have been buying mulitples. If we, like most "normal" people, only bought one, how low would those numbers be?

Now that is a scary thought.....

I said this the other day but want to repeat it - because I think it's a good point (pats self on the back......) To TRULY appreciate Clay I think you need to see him in a live performance! You can love his voice, love his song choices (or not) but to get the true measure of the man (sorry for the pun) you have to see this man doing what he does best.....selling a song to a crowd!!!! I think he's evolved in to so much more than just a singer.....he's an entertainer. And there aren't alot of "singers" out there who can do more than sing in a concert.

In a way I wish he would tour immediately to put some legs on this CD but......when he does tour I expect we'll see sales spike. Or I hope we do.

I'm with Cindilu - no matter what happens this week, I have a great bunch of songs to listen to.

I'll give up on Clay Aiken's career as soon as HE tells me it's over...and not a minute sooner.

And maybe not even then.

He's the real deal, no matter what the numbers may SEEM to be saying at the moment. I believe in Clay's talent, his work ethic, his associations, and in my own senses and instincts.

I just...believe.

I get it. People have reasons for feeling as they do, so I'm not about to argue with those who see doom on the horizon.

However, it feels more natural for me to trust than to doubt. So, if my optimism gives anyone else the permission they need to continue to hope for the good and hang onto their joy, then come sit by me.

"Fear does not exist in this dojo, does it?"

"No, Sensei!"

I'll give up on Clay Aiken's career as soon as HE tells me it's over...and not a minute sooner.

And maybe not even then.

He's the real deal, no matter what the numbers may SEEM to be saying at the moment. I believe in Clay's talent, his work ethic, his associations, and in my own senses and instincts.

I just...believe.

I get it. People have reasons for feeling as they do, so I'm not about to argue with those who see doom on the horizon.

However, it feels more natural for me to trust than to doubt. So, if my optimism gives anyone else the permission they need to continue to hope for the good and hang onto their joy, then come sit by me.

"Fear does not exist in this dojo, does it?"

"No, Sensei!"

:clap:And may I have a margarita too please????

I have so much work to day but I can't concentrate!!!!

And yeah, I think the only people who are looking at these numbers and weeping are the 'fans'.

Thread title??? :clap:

As to radio being so important - apparently Gavin McGraw had over 2000 spins last week compared to Clay's 20-something.

People just need to chill and open their eyes to the world as it is today. Like everyone else, I cringe when I have to buy gas, worry about how I will pay off my much higher than expected propane bill at the end of my budget cycle, faint when I have to buy milk or bread. I work in an industry dependent on people being willing to spend money on what they want, not what they need - and things are slow here overall. Any industry involved with discretionary spending is hurting - and the music industry is no different. Add that to the effect the internet has had on CD sales and its a recipe for disaster.

I know ATDW - an album of covers - sold over 200K its first week, but while that was not that long ago, it was another time, another era. And since scandel sells, it wouldn't surprise me if all the crap actually made people curious enough to buy the CD!

I think all involved - Clay, TC, RCA - everyone were very realistic about how this CD would sell. I doubt any of them are surprised or terribly disappointed. Frankly, the only worry they may have (and that I too may have) is how many of his core fanbase have been buying mulitples. If we, like most "normal" people, only bought one, how low would those numbers be?

Now that is a scary thought.....

:word:

As for the multiples, the numbers, I think, would be no more than 10,000 less at the most. There just aren't that many on-line fans who buy multiples, I'm guessing maybe 1,000 tops.

I just saw this and had to laugh!

He knows nothing; and he thinks he knows everything. That points clearly to a political career.
George Bernard Shaw.

Change it to: They know nothing; and they think they know everything. That points clearly to a..... fill in the blank.

It just struck me as funny in light of today's angst!

All I see is that Clay, for his fourth straight album, is on track to be in the top five of Billboard's Hot 200.

He's put out another CD that I love.

The old paradigms are dead.

Some time it seems the only ones who don't that are the members of the Clay Nation dedicated to hyperbole.

Great article, KAndre, and everything in it points to a guy like Clay having a future. For example:

Yet in the current climate, managers like Fall Out Boy’s McLynn know not to depend on old delivery systems. “You have to look at radio and MTV as gravy,” he says. “It can take you to the next level, but a lot of bands can have good careers without going there. These days, with the lack of record sales, it’s the bands that do tour and have that fan base that are the ones that are going to last as artists. Everyone else is going to have to get jobs.”

And lots more!!!!

Y'all read this article, and

DANCE!!

*plops down next to 00lsee and asks her to hand over a margarita*

Plops down next to 00lsee and ldyjocelyn.... Make mine on the rocks! :cryingwlaughter:

I'm loving this cd and I'm in for the long haul wherever it may take me...

And thanks for the safe place to hang out! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Thanks for the reminder ldyj. The we I spoke of was the Clay Nation, not FCA per se.

That said, we are going to have a glass of wine and listen to our cd.

:woohoo: Got my CD from Wal-Mart today!

I have to admit I was a little down regarding the numbers, but reading all the different perspectives without all the drama really has helped.

Clay's career...not worried; he is so much more than a pop star and I am thinking after Spamalot, good things are ahead for him.

Off to watch the clips from GMA...had to go to work and missed everything!

Kim

clayandr posted one day figures at the OFC

ATDW 70k

OMWH 18K

Some places not yet reporting. (Amazon, B& N etc)

Hmmm Strawberry Margaritas are mighty fine!.

It may not be next year or the year after -- but it's coming and soon: There will be no record companies -- no distributors -- no moguls and gatekeepers. There will be artists creating and marketing their product directly from the internet and the artists will keep the money. It's already starting with things like the last Radiohead online release. Who knows how this will all be configured, but it's coming. Established artists will be able to press CDs and have download sites, while newbies and marginal artists will be strictly downloads. I don't know the ins and outs, but it will happen. The middle man is on his way to the showers. The decision makers will be the artist and his management team.

you have to see this man doing what he does best

:hubbahubba: Whoa, mama! :sleezy: From your lips to God's ears... :Thud:

huh? :huh:

oops....I didn't finish reading your sentence, heh.... :blush: Yeah...sure...yep, gotta see the man in concert, fo' sho'....MUST watch him perform.

:blink:

nevermind. :whistling-1:

ATDW 70k

OMWH 18K

How can OMWH be 18K when QVC alone was 15K? that makes no sense whatsoever.

ATDW 70k

OMWH 18K

Well, technically, MOST places not yet reporting (according to her comparison list)...which might encourage some. :)