#37: Whenever he's ready, I'm ready for whatever he's ready for.

Thread Title Poll  

64 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• The man just oooooooooozes awwwwwness.
    • He is so sexay when he's following his Passion!!!
    • He looks really, really, really good while exuding all that good stuff.
    • One hawt hunk of packin' perfection!
    • He's a man of character and integrity and talent.
    • Kurei Eikun? I LOVE that guy!
    • Sometimes Clay is just the sex, YKWIM??

Spikesmom - is it really going to be a series of field notes? I hadn't heard that. Then no wonder it was kind of sparse. But something from the man is better than nothing at all.

Iseeme - I saw this at another board, apparently added to his blog at the UNICEF site.

UNICEF Ambassador Clay Aiken recently returned from Somalia, where UNICEF provides children in the war-torn nation with health care, education, nutrition, clean water and sanitation. This is the first in a series of blog posts he will write about his experience in the field.

I discovered that "addition" to the FieldNotes blog this afternoon, and added it to the Fast Forward News piece that I posted this morning...but neglected to mention it on the main board. Sowwy.

I'm one of the few Clay Aiken fans who also actually likes much of John Mayer's music. If nothing else, I think he's a fantastic guitar player (and so does my husband, who plays and is a good judge of them). My favorite song of his, which did get some play on the radio, has these lyrics as the final chorus:

I wanna run through the halls of my high school

I wanna scream at the top of my lungs

I just found out theres no such thing as the real world

Just a lie youve got to rise above

I just cant wait till my ten year reunion

Im gonna bust down the double doors

And when I stand on these tables before you

You will know what all this time was for

So, jmh, I would help you a bit with trying to balance things out a bit. Loved reading that last blog of his too, with Isaac. That was cool.

cindilu, the banner is fantastic. "Awwww...." is right....

Danielle, love your car story!

ETA: EEEEEEEEEEEE! Clay singing OMWH on the Lite Hits Digital Music channel on my TV!!! EEEEEEEE!

Is it ok if I'm late?

Late? I haven't even posted my own yet. Thanks a bunch! :thankyou:

About that bake sale...

Another suggestion from the Unicef fundraiser site -- "Customize your own webpage for collecting donations quickly and securely over the internet, then invite friends and family to donate via your personal fundraising page." Is there any way that we can contribute favorite pictures / quotations / articles that we can put together into a "page" and then hit up tell our relatives and friends, "Come see what my FCA buddies and I did!" (and maybe contribute something, hint! hint!). I think that when you register, Unicef gives you a link back to their page so that you don't have to handle collection. When Clay talked about water supplies, wasn't it mentioned that even 6 cents can help so even if we raise just some loose change it'll be fun to have "our thing" and do something nice at the same time. How about it, admins? (something for the next sandwich break? *pretty please*)

Thanks for finding that, Spikesmom! :big hug:

Hey, Iseeme! Hope the bear was well-behaved last night. teddy_bear.GIF

I interrupt the schmoopiness temporarily to inquire of Perma..where on earth did that avi photo come from </shallow>

Rhody :F_05BL17blowkiss: :F_05BL17blowkiss:

That's OK. There are plenty of us that are doing the backstroke across a giant pool of shmoopiness already. You can jump in any time.

Why thank you for asking so that I have an excuse to post this picture which I LURVE!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

My avi is from a picture I took at the West Palm Beach concert last summer. Clay wore pale clothes and the lighting was kinda bright, so this looked better to me in B&W. He really is a beautiful person, isn't he?? Inside and out.

193757758_bZLCn-L.jpg

Hello, Honeys!

I finally made it home from work, reviewed the UNICEF pics :hubbahubba: (shallow is me!)

- clicked on the donate link and gave to that man's cause. Not enough, but my bit - and caught up reading (okay, speed-reading!) here!

*pantpantpant*

Gawd. He is so sexay when he's following his Passion!!!

ETA: EEEEEEEEEEEE! Clay singing OMWH on the Lite Hits Digital Music channel on my TV!!! EEEEEEEE!

OMG - that's wonderful. I listen to the music channels on my TV all the time and always wished Clay would get in their mix. That's great exposure.

Haven't been visited by the bear since the weekend - and that's just fine with me. We were all amazed he didn't go on a rampage the night we put the garbage out. One of my neighbors saw him on Sunday - just sitting in her driveway about 9:00 one night. The bad thing is animal control won't do anything about bears unless they break into a house or threaten a human............ummmm HELLLOOOOO, isn't it too late by then?

Iseeme, this is actually the second time I've heard Clay on that channel, and I know of at least one other person who has heard him on them too. The other time I heard it was about a month ago.

The Broads have Match 10 up. *waves at Danielle* And of course, they had to get a threesome in there... Listen (Sterling Heights) vs. ATD (Kimmel) vs. IWCY (Clay on skates). While I love the skating thing, that one was ruled out fairly early for me. But, for me, the other two choices were tough, because I dearly love both performances. In the end, though, I had to go with Listen -- that was a once-in-a-lifetime thing, and it really was phenomenal.

Awwwwwwww, thanks for the banner-love. I take absolutely no credit for this one - the man just oooooooooozes awwwwwness. I really, really could not love him more. (Until tomorrow, when I will). Heh, I thought about sub-titling it 'What I Did On My Summer Vacation'

Reading these Field Notes, and looking at the photos of him making those babies smile even in the midst of their circumstances - I just get an overwhelming sense of gratitude. I'm thankful every single day that I live in the era of Clay Aiken and that I am lucky and smart enough to 'get' him. How much poorer my life would be if he never touched it.

He might have a personal appeal down the road, or he might not. Today the last line of his blog was enough for me...

'At least we know something can be done. Help UNICEF save and improve the lives of children in Somalia. Donate online, right now.'

1. Your part in the fandom: how has it evolved? Do you consider it a hobby or an addicition? How much time do you spend on your fandom?

I started out worrying what would happen to Clay. Now I trust that he and his team can handle anything or any barrier in his way. He will have a career as long as he wants one. I would love to be around if he should decide to run for office. I find him extremely interesting. I think it's a hobby to which I'm addicted

2. What would you considered a "blowtorched puppy" -- in other words, what could Clay do that would make you stop being a fan?

Not sure if even anything criminal would chase me away.

3. How do you feel about "shipping Clay?" Why do you feel that way?

I think it's ok as long as there is a real possibility of it being true. I don't do it very often since my sister gets angry with me and then I have to explain what I really meant.

4. How does Clay combat the tabloid media?

By being himself and ignoring the lies.

5. Should Clay be a "superstar?" A "pop star"? An "entertainer?" Or all of the above? Does he really have to choose?

Whatever he'll be will be. Although I enjoy the entertainer quite a bit.

6. How do you feel Clay's voice has evolved over the past 4 years?

He has so much control over it. There are so many inflections which giving meaning to those words. His acting has become so good that he sets the scene and tells a story with each song.

Iseeme, this is actually the second time I've heard Clay on that channel, and I know of at least one other person who has heard him on them too. The other time I heard it was about a month ago.

The Broads have Match 10 up. *waves at Danielle* And of course, they had to get a threesome in there... Listen (Sterling Heights) vs. ATD (Kimmel) vs. IWCY (Clay on skates). While I love the skating thing, that one was ruled out fairly early for me. But, for me, the other two choices were tough, because I dearly love both performances. In the end, though, I had to go with Listen -- that was a once-in-a-lifetime thing, and it really was phenomenal.

YES!! It was. That is my most favorite Clay/Quiana performance. I watch it often and I put it on a CD that I listen to often while driving.

OT How long before I graduate from dog walker :8:

Hey ldyj - no need to be sowwy - it's all good! I'm not usually the first with any news when I have to work all day... why weren't we all born rich? And now, the company I work for is going to pretty much stop most of our internet use by blocking just about everything... bummer. I don't stop by often during the day but now it will be never unless I have off... oh well, it was nice while it lasted.

Haven't been visited by the bear since the weekend - and that's just fine with me. We were all amazed he didn't go on a rampage the night we put the garbage out. One of my neighbors saw him on Sunday - just sitting in her driveway about 9:00 one night. The bad thing is animal control won't do anything about bears unless they break into a house or threaten a human............ummmm HELLLOOOOO, isn't it too late by then?

I'm thinking your bear is just trying to find out which family restaurant he likes the best... :whistling-1: hopefully, he won't resort to anything threatening though... that's pretty scarey... we have a couple of foxes and a couple raccoons wandering around our neighborhood trying to get into the garbage carts (and yes, it's the city!) but they're all smaller than me so I'm not quite as worried as I would be about a bear!

The 2nd one was ATD Kimmel??!!! Noooooooo!!! I saw the words "Sterling Heights Listen" and immediately voted... But, but the Kimmel ATD completely owns me. Aaaaaaargh!!! Anyone care to swap votes with me? *crickets*

He has so much control over it. There are so many inflections which giving meaning to those words. His acting has become so good that he sets the scene and tells a story with each song.

Fear, so true!!! It's like there are so many layers to it.

ETA:

Maybe a few people can volunteer to pull it together and of course it can be put here on the forum or at FCA or FCAM. I don't know if you want to take charge or if we need a volunteer. Unfortunately I can't be in charge but will glady contribute and pass on the link to my friends and family.
Eeeee, thanks! I think we need a volunteer or volunteers who can make things look pretty. That side of my brain has never learned to work, but I can help hunt down search for people who can help.

Scarlett, I think it's a lovely idea that you have. Maybe a few people can volunteer to pull it together and of course it can be put here on the forum or at FCA or FCAM. I don't know if you want to take charge or if we need a volunteer. Unfortunately I can't be in charge but will glady contribute and pass on the link to my friends and family.

Congrats to rohdy for the update on the book drive! What a classy thing you did in setting it up, and what a classy way for the recipients of the books to follow through! Great job!

Danielle- I loved the story about the car that almost was yours- and about meeting your soul mate through the boards. I believe that I know the board you are talking about, as I was an early member there, and I remember the story. So sweet! :hug:

YAY for the Field Notes and the pictures! OH, THE PICTURES :sm227: !!! A friend of mine e-mailed me the pictures at work, as she knows I no longer have internet access there. The picture of happy Clay surrounded by smiling children is now my desktop background.

As for the questions:

1. Your part in the fandom: how has it evolved? Do you consider it a hobby or an addicition? How much time do you spend on your fandom?

I started out on the boards right before the end of AI. I've kind of board-hopped, looking around for the right fit. Several times I've found it- only to move on to something different at a later date. As for the other question-well, I don't drink or smoke, or do drugs of any kind, or sleep around, so I guess Clay is my addiction. I work full time, so I don't get to spend all day on the boards, but I do spend time every day here.

2. What would you considered a "blowtorched puppy" -- in other words, what could Clay do that would make you stop being a fan?

This question still makes me uncomfortable. I think it would be naive of me to think that there was nothing Clay could do to make me stop being a fan, but I like Chardonnay's answer- I don't really think he would do any of them.

Ah, this is the question that will get me tomato-ed! :lilredani: (or more precisely, the answer that will get me tomato-ed!) Shipping- hate it, hate it, hate it! I had to chuckle the other night when people were talking about "projecting" our thoughts and feelings onto Clay, cause I think this is the one area where most of that is done. I don't have a problem with statements about how "Clay and fill in the blank would make such a lovely couple" or "Wouldn't it be nice if he got together with x, y or z" but it really squicks me out when people see him interacting with a woman and think that they can tell his (and the woman in question's) innermost thoughts and feelings. I remember several years ago when the latest shipping object was that blond dancer from the JNT 05 tour-Pamela? Patricia? Someone from another board grandly announced that after watching some behind-the-scenes entertainment clip of Clay and the dancer sitting next to each other at dinner, her husband had decided that they were, indeed, a couple. Of course, a week or so later, who did a concert-going fan meet in the audience? The blond dancer's boyfriend! :cryingwlaughter:

I didn't understand at first how he could remain so quiet in the face of outright lies being told about him. I'm going to pull another old Clay-quote out of my ass (hoping that someone else will remember it as well and confirm it for me). He said something like "How can you be mad when the things they are saying about you are lies?" And I was, like, HUH? That is when I would be the maddest, when they were telling lies. But Clay said long ago, even before all the really nasty crap started, that his favorite bible verse was (paraphrasing) "God will fight for you. All you have to do is stand still." I think he truly believes in that, and that is why he has chosen to take the stand that he has.

5. Should Clay be a "superstar?" A "pop star"? An "entertainer?" Or all of the above?

I don't think it's a matter of "choosing" what he will be. I think he is an entertainer in every sense of the word. How he will be defined at the end of his career will all be attributable (is that even a word?) back to that.

I think he doesn't rely so much on belting every song. I think he's much more nuanced, and I think he really likes to play around and experiment with songs now.

I hope people look beyond just Clay's work at UNICEF. Its a big, unjust world out there.

Just saying.....

No schmoopie from me! Just shallow, shallow, shallow! Yup, I reside completely in the shallow end of the pool! Unless it involves animals. I'm just weird, what can I say?

And you all better be careful or you may get whiplash nodding your heads in agreement with my being weird! :imgtongue:

Back to the shallow... The hair is looking mighty fine!!! Very reminiscent of AMA hair - my favorite!! No blond! YAY!! LOVE the stubble. Always been a big stubble lover!!

Good hair and stubble. It doesn't get much better than that!!

You all may resume being schmoopie! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Am I the only one who just loves that Clay's collar is askew in the picture of him holding the little boy? It's all turned up at on corner and he is not the least bit concerned. I just love it. It's like the little boy in him just came out for a minute. Ya know?

And yes, I am schmoopie. (spell check doesn't like schmoopie! :cryingwlaughter: )

Not weepy.

Just schmoopie.

Yup. Of course when they started playing Iris - my mind went right to Clay and the JBT. And wishing one of his songs would be used for a dance.

Nigel! Get off your butt and call the most successful male Idol Ever and ask him for permission to use one of his songs! Demmit!

:hysterical:

Oh. I didn't wait. I forked over my money quicker than you can say Clay Aiken and the Chirren!

G'Night, Folks!

Standing on my feet from 11 AM til 7 PM 'bout did me in today!!! Whew!

:nightienight:

From bouncer15 at the CB...

Radio & Records, Week 5

Good News!!! Radio & Records Chart!!!!!

bananacheer.gif

Clay is now #26!!! His 5th week on the chart. smile.gif (I was afraid he was going to fall off..no red bullets lately)

link: Radio and Records

Can I get a WOOHOO!!!!

Cotton, I noticed that about the shirt too. Love it.

WOW!!! I've been gone all day, just got home and signed into FCA only to be slayed by the fantastic banner. My heart skipped several beats. What GORGEOUS, heartwarming pics of Clay! Thank you, Perma, for editing them. I LOVE the one with Clay holding the smiling boy. Clay and all of the kids have such great smiles on their faces! And, of course, the one where he's holding the baby is majorly heart-warming, too!

Oooowwwwww!!! Oooowwwww!! I opened up the page, saw a picture of Clay with a little baby and my ovaries exploded!

:wub:

Field notes? There are field notes? I guess I should go find those, huh?

Heeee, you had the same reaction as me! Hey, since I had that avi for such a long time I always do a double-take when I see your posts. I start wondering if I really said what you posted, until I remember that I don't have that avi anymore! :hysterical: It looks good on you. :)

OT How long before I graduate from dog walker :8:

On your 51st post! You're about halfway there.

I hope people look beyond just Clay's work at UNICEF. Its a big, unjust world out there.

Just saying.....

No schmoopie from me! Just shallow, shallow, shallow! Yup, I reside completely in the shallow end of the pool! Unless it involves animals. I'm just weird, what can I say?

And you all better be careful or you may get whiplash nodding your heads in agreement with my being weird! :imgtongue:

Back to the shallow... The hair is looking mighty fine!!! Very reminiscent of AMA hair - my favorite!! No blond! YAY!! LOVE the stubble. Always been a big stubble lover!!

Good hair and stubble. It doesn't get much better than that!!

You all may resume being schmoopie! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I hear ya on the hair and stubble, CG! He's looking miiiighty fine!

rohdy, I'm so happy to hear about the kids getting to keep their books. What a fantastic gift! I hope that someone is keeping Clay informed of all of this.

Scarlett, I'm with you on the Kimmel ATD love! I love everything about it - the staging, the lights, the way it was filmed, the palpable love from the crowd, and of course, Clay's passionate singing! And I can't forget that he looked fantastic that night. I watch that clip a lot when I'm working out on the elliptical. The Listen clip is great, too, but I voted for ATD.

DD#1 has been sick for a couple of weeks, and we got her on an antibiotic about a week ago for what we thought was a sinus infection. She hasn't gotten any better, has had high fevers every night, and her coughing is out of control. So I took her to the Dr. today, and found out she has pneumonia! I wonder how my otherwise healthy 16 year old dtr. got pneumonia?? Poor thing is spending her summer moping around because she feels so bad. I'm hoping that the new antibiotic and OTC meds will help her feel better soon.

YAY!!! for number 26!! :laola0:

Ok, I'll bite. And probably be bitten back!

In the beginning it was definitely an addiction. I spent every waking minute on the boards, wasted work time that I was being paid for (which amounts to stealing, IMO, in the quantities I was doing it). In the early days I wasn't convinced that Clay was going to be around for a long time, so I was trying to absorb every picture, video, sound byte, etc. I could before he disappeared. I neglected my work, home and personal relationships. I guess that definitely qualifies as an addiction. I'm really much happier now that I can truthfully say Clay is my hobby. There are days now that I don't even think of Clay. I actually lived without going to see Spamalot (although I really, really wanted to go). But I've learned that I can survive without my daily dose of Clack.

Actually there's plenty that he could do that would kill my fandom. I don't think he would do any of them, but if he did I'd leave the fandom without a backward glance. Among them, molesting a child, embezzling money from the BAF, murder (unless it was someone connected with a tabloid :cryingwlaughter: ), most major crimes, etc. I mean, really...would y'all still follow someone that was a criminal? I know most folks are saying "Oh, but he wouldn't do that", and I agree, he probably wouldn't. But that's not the question.

I think shipping is funny. I don't see it as an invasion of his privacy, I just see it as a bunch of silly fans being silly. And we're so good at it. To me it's all a joke and I don't take any of it seriously. Perhaps that's the reason it bothers some people? Do some people really believe themselves when they're shipping?

By not stooping to their level, by not joining them down there in the gutter.

5. Should Clay be a "superstar?" A "pop star"? An "entertainer?" Or all of the above? Does he really have to choose?

Clay should be himself, he doesn't really have to choose. I think he's still feeling his way, trying to decide where he wants his career to take him. I think he's going to try on a lot of different hats until he finds the one that fits comfortably. I like the 'entertainer' description because it encompasses a broader range of possibilities. I personally think the Clay is going to be happiest if he ends up doing something that allows him to sing for people on a regular basis. The man just loves to sing...you can see it in every muscle of his body.

I think his voice has matured and is more colorful now, but he also has lost that clear, beautiful, pure tone that we heard so often on AI. Maybe that was a boys voice and now he has a man's voice. Often I can still hear traces of that purity, but it's not present as often as it used to be. But his man's voice does have more layers, more emotion and more color now.

You guys just aren't gonna let me get away with being judgmental about John Mayer are you? Ha! Okay, I give up. The spirit in the sky never let's me get away with it. Sheesh.

Okay, I LOVED that blog about the Goonies and Troy, jmh. And Mayer is an excellent guitarist. His songs don't hold my attention though, as he blends into the background for me ... Dave Matthews is another one. I guess I like music that meets my personal definition of compelling, which is, it gets under my skin, and that can be anything from Jimmy Page doing anything on guitar to Sinead O'Connor singing Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered. But they just visit from time to time. Clay's music lives under my skin.

I don't know how to answer those survey questions, Scarlett. I'm sure I must be addicted. What else could this be? Can't even contemplate deal-breakers and stuff like that, because Clay never made any deals with me. I'm just hanging on, awaiting a word, a sighting, a TV appearance, any news whatsoever, and especially an opportunity to see him live. More than anything, I feel happy for him. He's living an extraordinary life.

You guys just aren't gonna let me get away with being judgmental about John Mayer are you? Ha! Okay, I give up. The spirit in the sky never let's me get away with it. Sheesh.

heeeeeeee

I had to stop..cuz I'm working and "listening" to SYTYCD...I love IRIS... love it. I love the original..and I love CLay's version. I miss concert Clay.

WOW!!! I've been gone all day, just got home and signed into FCA only to be slayed by the fantastic banner.

that's a good word for it... it's beautiful.

Bookwhore..love your answers. I can go a few hours without my clack hit..I'm getting there :cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter: Just kidding..I'll just put it like this..I'm doing much better than I was a few years ago. Just sticking to mostly one board is a huge improvement for me. I've learned not to take on every sling and arrow at Clay as if it's aimed directly at me. Sympathy yes.. but that empathy - just twinges of it. It's healthier for me. But the thing is... Clay probably had a better handle on so much of what drove me absolutely nutty and it was happening to him!!

Heee...I was thinking how much I hate the original "Iris" - never heard it before Clay sang it and when I finally heard it, the first thought that crossed my mind was "Wow. That dude CANNOT sing!"