#15 the Earl of Aikenberry: a man of character and Naughty by Nature

Couch Tomato

Next thread title poll  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for the next main thread title

• Love that sweet "Hunk of Southern Comfort" who brought us all together!
    • Yet when we get together it's like I'm with my sisters - only without the issues. smile.gif
    • Clay is successsfully running with the big dogs.
    • And oddly, we all manage to share the same boyfriend, with only minimal hair-pulling and name calling.
    • Pass the koolaid, I'm thirsty.
    • The Eyes Have It!
    • he's soooo photogenic...almost sinfully, unfairly so: laughing, smiling, crying, looking pensive or naughty or goofy -It just doesn't seem to matter, does it?
    • Just can't keep a good man down.
    • "Clay wants to see your bushes".
    • Hopefully, he was out having fun or buying more new jeans, writing some new kick-ass songs, recording some kick-ass songs, having some kick-ass super-sex.
    • veins flowing with personality, thighs dripping with character.

I remember that well and remember all the consternation in Clayland after it. What I didn't and still don't understand is how one 10 second antic can ruin a three hour concert for you. I guess I was grumpy at the time with all the complaints because I would have donated a kidney to have been there but then THAT's just MPOV and I respect everyone's right to be annoyed. I just didn't (don't) get it. :)

Could be because I wasn't in on it? It was very distracting as it ruined the flow of the show for me. Believe me , it was more than 10 seconds of shenanigan. If it was then it wouldn't have been a distraction. It went on for a while and continued on while they were singing. I felt very much an outsider watching an inside joke that did not look funny from afar.

I'm sorry it was ruined for you. And I apologize for speaking up. I just remember at the time not understanding why people were so annoyed. I wonder if the NJU people at the concerts feel this way about all the Message Board "inside jokes" included in the banter. :)

eeee (top of the page) or crap! :)

Edited by canuck2010

Oh yeah...I also agree with the one hit thing. It will open up radio for him so I really don't really think its close to him. That is why I do believe that hit CD is somewhere in his future...is it coming with the next CD...I really can't tell, but it certainly within his reach.

The joke of putting ice on each others back. I only found out about it after the show. Clay and company were giggling and could hardly sing because they were laughing do hard.

I remember that well and remember all the consternation in Clayland after it. What I didn't and still don't understand is how one 10 second antic can ruin a three hour concert for you. I guess I was grumpy at the time with all the complaints because I would have donated a kidney to have been there but then THAT's just MPOV and I respect everyone's right to be annoyed. I just didn't (don't) get it. :)

The ice? It seemed cute to me. I didn't even know there was angst about it. I was on the road and away from the computer after the concert I guess.

What I remembered about Wolf Trap:

The storm and the lightening and Clay losing his place in the middle of Solitaire and then telling the band to just keep going and then just nailing that glory note from a stand still. freakin' amazing.

I remember not being able to see with all the people standing in front of me (I was in the handicapped seating section) and I refused to stand up and block someone in a wheelchair behind me. (the sight lines at that venue stunk) So I got out of my seat and stood along the wall right next to Aaron, his body guard. I watched most of the second half of the show that way and nobody said anything.

I remember MotherSuperior. I didn't know her personally, but I knew her....and there she was in her hospital bed not far from me. I said hello. Clay said hello to her too in her ambulance after the show.

Everybody takes their own feelings/experiences from each and every show, as it should be. Mine have not always been great, but I get all warm and mushy thinking of Wolf Trap.

I think there were times during the JBT and the NAT, that there were so many inside jokes that some of the people in the audience felt excluded. I think Clay has learned how to banter with the people on stage, but to include the audience in that Banter. Clay is a fast learner. I also think there is a much higher degree of comfort by Clay toward the fans...then was there during the Early Tours. JMO

I think there were times during the JBT and the NAT, that there were so many inside jokes that some of the people in the audience felt excluded. I think Clay has learned how to banter with the people on stage, but to include the audience in that Banter. Clay is a fast learner. I also think there is a much higher degree of comfort by Clay toward the fans...then was there during the Early Tours. JMO

Amen,..........again! I feel like I'm in Church! :lol:

jmh, I personally would go with either "Clay on the Rocks" or "Uncle Clay." But thank you for posting all those pictures. :hubbahubba:

Shady, I don't follow your reluctance for the word "uptempo." May I ask why?

I want to see where HE wants to go and I want to be along for the journey. I can't wait to be surprised.

Oh yes, that's exactly the way I feel too. As much as I'm curious about things behind the scenes in Clay's life, and would love to know what goes through his head at certain times too, I'm finding I enjoy it just as much when I DON'T know. Maybe more so....because of the surprise factor. I also think that sometimes finding out one piece of the puzzle makes people want so much more, and more quickly...and frequently Clay can't say more than that one piece. And then, IMO....stresses in the fandom start again.

I think all Clay needs is some good music.

But, as we know from reading Clay boards, is that no one can agree on what is good music! It's so subjective. I'm the opposite of CG in the fact that I liked most of the covers from ATDW...even BEFORE Clay gave them his stamp. In many cases, there were lots of others who did too, or else the originals wouldn't have topped music charts (including radio play). I really think the key is what CLAY thinks is good music. Will I agree with him? Dunno. but I'm willing to find out in a year or so (meaning maybe less, maybe more....).

I actually am very optimistic about Clay's future...I think things are looking up for him after the dismal year that he just had in 2006.

Wow. Dismal? I don't know....I think Clay had a pretty darn good 2006 -- TV appearances; an album that, when released, sold almost 300,000 in the first week; and a Christmas tour. Sure, there were some major gnats he had to deal with, but he showed me that he could deal with them with class. And I had a blast following him every step of the way.

His next album? I don't have a clue in this world what the sound will be like. I suspect we'll have more of a variety of tempos. I would be willing to bet there will be several ballads on it. Other than that, I have no clue. I doubt even Clay knows for sure. We'll know when its released, which will be when its ready. Remember, perfection takes time honey! (tm CHA). I do know this. There will be some compromise involved in the final track selection. There always is. Just as long as Clay is happy and proud of it when its done, then that's ok with me. Now, whether or not I love it, we'll see. Clay is my musical anomoly but somehow even when I don't like an album, he keeps drawing me in.

As I said earlier, CG and I don't see eye to eye on much of Clay's music. I simply adore ATDW, and some of my favorites are one she doesn't like and vice versa. Same with MOAM -- Touch is my least favorite.

But I totally agree with her on what the next album will be -- ie., we just don't know. And that's FINE by me [tm Clay in Baltimore, 2006]. I'm patient, I'll wait, I may not like it....but I probably will because he's my "easy."

Clack? I download lots, watch little. I always think I will watch it, but just don't seem to ever get around to it. I don't even listen to Clay that much. I don't have an iPod, don't really have time when I'm home and the car I am driving right now doesn't have a CD player, so I can't on my commute. Plus, quite honestly, I get tired of the same old same old. Maybe if I ever get an iPod I can download tons of stuff and put it on shuffle with other artists and listen to him that way.

I do that too. Download a bunch of stuff, and right now it's just sitting on my computer. *shrug* My commute is so short, I don't have time to listen to Clay during that period. And I love to listen to Clay, but I need variety too.

OTOH -- my hubby is getting me a new 8 gig iPod nano!!! EEEEEEEEEEE!!! Can't wait to start figuring out how to rip my CD's and download all kinds of music onto it!

I just remember at the time not understanding why people were so annoyed.

I was the same way canuck, and I thought at the time that it was because of something we talked about earlier today -- expectations. People were primed that this was the "hawt" moment of the show...and then it didn't happen. Now, obviously, leeana's experience was different because this was her first show, and I can understand her feeling about it being an inside joke that didn't translate...but IMO the angst was OTT.

laughn, loved your remembrance of Wolf Trap.

And I totally agree that Clay's level of comfort with the fans has grown. It will be interesting to see how this develops.

Well it is Sunday...*g*

I remember reading (correct me if I'm wrong) that Faye was in the audience and didn't look any to pleased with the antics. I don't think he has repeated that level of goofing off since.

I think many people were really pumped about Clay performing in such a prestigious venue and that the Media would be there....and were disappointed in the antics. Maybe if you were sitting closer to the stage they came off better? I wonder if the weather played into the weird mood of that Concert. I also think if it was your first or your only Concert.....your perspective was different than those who had been to multiple concerts.

Well, I'd rather see Clay laugh than sing if I had to make that very difficult choice, so I love the joking around and wish I had been at Wolftrap. My friends went and LOVED it bigtime. I loved the downloads. I guess people just have different tastes, but even if he totally screwed up ...say 15 minutes of a concert, Clay's concerts are longer than most (by quite a bit), so I think that no one should go home disappointed because there's still the other couple of hours or so--just putting things in perspective.

I agree...it just never bothered me and I know we are all different so I'm sure it bothered others. I wasn't in wolftrap but I loved the clack from there. I thought that whole show had a lot of interesting highlights that made it memorable that is why after two years we are still debating it. But...I do understand that each person in that audience had more invested on that show than I who was just investing my time and bandwidth downloading/ But I just know myself...I love spontaneity and I love it when Clay and the crew shows us a glimpse of their relationship off stage. That is why I love end of the show antics as well..but I also sympathize to those people that wasn't amused.

I remember reading (correct me if I'm wrong) that Faye was in the audience and didn't look any to pleased with the antics. I don't think he has repeated that level of goofing off since.

Dear God, that is just depressing, both in thought and in action if it were true. How sad for him if that did happen. I'll just go on thinking it's a Clurban myth and make myself happy.

Dayton/Kettering occurred after Wolf Trap, and that's where we got the 'corn hole' conversation and Angela playing footsie, and the giggles and the kiss during Sailing...so I think they were pretty much still having fun up there. He took off his shirt in Dayton too. That was a fun summer. :RedGuy:

Edited by laughn

Well it is Sunday...*g*

I think many people were really pumped about Clay performing in such a prestigious venue and that the Media would be there....and were disappointed in the antics. Maybe if you were sitting closer to the stage they came off better? I wonder if the weather played into the weird mood of that Concert. I also think if it was your first or your only Concert.....your perspective was different than those who had been to multiple concerts.

I think this is one of the things that frustrated me about the whole discussion afterwards. I just feel that there is a segment of the fandom that is soo invested in Clay impressing others...or the media instead of just enjoying what is there in front of them. There was such expectations about that show...and such angst about what the NJU would think that people forget that he was in great voice that night and the singing was wonderful and the audience was pumped. All I know is that I was actually envious of those that was there because it sounded like a fun and memorable show and if that was the only one that I saw I would feel very lucky cos I could say I was there in wolftrap. Right now I am happy to say I was there when Clay sang to flat clay and when Angela's son danced on stage. I will forever cherish those unexpected memories that make each concert special.

Well, I'd rather see Clay laugh than sing if I had to make that very difficult choice, so I love the joking around and wish I had been at Wolftrap. My friends went and LOVED it bigtime. I loved the downloads. I guess people just have different tastes, but even if he totally screwed up ...say 15 minutes of a concert, Clay's concerts are longer than most (by quite a bit), so I think that no one should go home disappointed because there's still the other couple of hours or so--just putting things in perspective.

very good point. so many goodness to enjoy...

Dear God, that is just depressing, both in thought and in action if it were true. How sad for him if that did happen. I'll just go on thinking it's a Clurban myth and make myself happy.

Dayton/Kettering occurred after Wolf Trap, and that's where we got the 'corn hole' conversation and Angela playing footsie, and the giggles and the kiss during Sailing...so I think they were pretty much still have fun up there. He took off his shirt in Dayton too. That was a fun summer. :RedGuy:

Oh I agree...I hope this is an urban myth too. I never believe that Clay is afraid of his mama that he would change his stage persona for her. I think the level of goofing off depends on how bored and distracted he feels...

Now I don't see it as depressing...cause I don't think he listens to Faye anymore than my kids listen to me. I think he listens to her opinion and then makes up his own mind. I don't believe he is a "Mama's Boy" other than the fact that he loves her. He hasn't lived with her for years....and I notice when he vacations, he does it with his friends. I just think the Mama Boy thing is part of his act.....I don't think anyone makes up Clay's mind but Clay.

The "Flat Clay" banter at Pala was totally, absolutely freaky funny but as funny as it was, the s....l....o....w..........s........o.......n.......g..........s.... (and loud) and s..........l........o.........w........ for the first time had me almost on the floor in hysterics.

Add that to the line "A Clay Aiken concert is like a slot machine - you put your money in and don't know what you're going to get" - PRICELESS!!!!

:cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter:

GAH!! I love reliving that night!

Not to forget that he was f**king gorgeous!!!! :Thud:

and the sunset...........

and LAA....

and BYLM! :Thud::Thud::Thud:

carry on.......

Canuck I am right there with you about Pala. I laughed so hard at Pala that I almost felt sick. I mean, my friend and I seriously had tears running down our faces and side aches from laughing.

It was a joyful experience (although I guess it's possible for some people to complain that he messed up the song).

Priceless. Just priceless.

I think part of the disappointment regarding the ice capade (pun intended) at Wolftrap is that it was during WDC and many felt somehow cheated that they didn't get a really hot version of that song that night, but got hi-jinks instead...Angie actually ran off stage at one point to avoid Clay and the ice and I do think that some thought the whole thing was rather juvenile...I thought it was pretty funny myself, but I can see how some would be disappointed.

My favorite WDC moment was in Vermont when Felix called Vermont a city during his shtick and Clay was laughing so hard during the choir robe segment he couldn't sing. I watched that clack a lot.

Kim

I just feel that there is a segment of the fandom that is soo invested in Clay impressing others...or the media instead of just enjoying what is there in front of them.

AMEN!

*scootch over canooky...I'm joining you in church*

---

I think WDC by the JBT was pretty much over-the-top camp anyway wasn't it? Sorta like the Classics medley of this tour. Oh well, that's the way it viewed to me anyway.

Edited by jamar1700

To tell the truth I have never mentioned this to anyone until today. I did not join in the angst after the show. Never did I criticize that particular performance until today as I feel that it was not big deal after all this time.

Anyway, I was at Lee Ann Womack's concert last night. I have never really cared for Country Music but I really and truly enjoyed her show. She sang what else 'I hope you dance'. She is one heck of a singer. She's also beautiful. She sang You don't know me and Crazy and her hits that I was not familiar with. I wouldn't mind going to her concert once again if she's in town. :clap::clap:

DH is a lover of country music. He was surprised when I told him I want to go to Lee Ann Womack's concert. :cryingwlaughter: He does not know about "Hope you Dance'.

Oh I loved, LOVED Pala. He was so freaking funny and in great vioce. The atmosphere was perfect. (except for being squished like a sardine). The audience was great. Flat Clay was beyond hilarious.

The only problem I have with Clay's Concerts is that they go by to quickly!

It was a joyful experience (although I guess it's possible for some people to complain that he messed up the song).

I have not heard or read any complaints about Pala...just praise. I think the difference is that the audience was included in the banter. JMO

Anyway who cares about Wolftrap anymore...it was a long time ago.

Edited by Desertflower

Oh I loved, LOVED Pala. He was so freaking funny and in great vioce. The atmosphere was perfect. (except for being squished like a sardine). The audience was great. Flat Clay was beyond hilarious.

Ditto! (I'm really not a Churchy person! :blush:) :lol:

Well Crap!!! I must be post-hoing to get two "on tops" in one afternoon!!! :lol:

Edited by canuck2010

Why do you always have the best discussions when I'm away from the boards!

Radio play - Yeah, I think Clay wants it, enough to find a producer who will find a way to "make him more hip without trying too hard." And with the right song, I do think anything is possible, including Top 40. It's not going to be easy, because he does have some preconceptions to overcome. However, I would not be surprised if it makes it happen.

I've often thought that the old "mystery artist" scenario might be an interesting way to re-introduce him. Remember Donny Osmond and "Soldier of Love"? Apparently, the same thing is being done with a Hanson song. Hanson crosses "Great Divide" with anonymous airplay

How that new album will sound, really, is anyone's guess. However, my instinct is that it will be different, but not radically so.

The storm and the lightening and Clay losing his place in the middle of Solitaire and then telling the band to just keep going and then just nailing that glory note from a stand still. freakin' amazing.

I wasn't there, but that Solitaire is one of my all-time favorite pieces of Clack. In it, he falters, loses his way for a bit, but maintains his composure and finishes so impressively that the mistake becomes irrelevant. It's magnificent to watch, and I can't help but see it as representative of how he may approach life. He's not always perfect, but he knows how to get past his errors and make the best out of what he has.

I just feel that there is a segment of the fandom that is soo invested in Clay impressing others...or the media instead of just enjoying what is there in front of them.

AMEN!

*scootch over canooky...I'm joining you in church*

---

I think WDC by the JBT was pretty much over-the-top camp anyway wasn't it? Sorta like the Classics medley of this tour. Oh well, that's the way it viewed to me anyway.

yeah this was my feeling too...not really into the hawtness factor so to me it wouldn;t matter.

I have not heard or read any complaints about Pala...just praise. I think the difference is that the audience was included in the banter. JMO

Anyway who cares about Wolftrap anymore...it was a long time ago.

BTW...I mentioned pala not because I thought people complained...just that its probably would be one of those concerts that will be remembered for that one aspect. It was a great concert.

Well...I guess some people still care about it...both positive and negative memories.

leeana...glad you can share your feelings about wolftrap. I think it is an interesting topic because it is one of those instances when the fandom was divided and it always fascinates me...

I wasn't there, but that Solitaire is one of my all-time favorite pieces of Clack. In it, he falters, loses his way for a bit, but maintains his composure and finishes so impressively that the mistake becomes irrelevant. It's magnificent to watch, and I can't help but see it as representative of how he may approach life. He's not always perfect, but he knows how to get past his errors and make the best out of what he has.

Once again...great insight. I sooo agree. Yup I love that clack too cos he looked so confident ...

I do agree with Pala. It was the best of the CA 4fer I went to. I went to bed that night smiling and laughing by myself. DH was with me. When he suddenly raised his arms and hand to sing to Flat Clay it was so spontaneous and the timing was perfect. I guess he likes working with Angela and Quianna because the two ladies catch on real quick on what he wants to do on stage. All three of them were singing to Flat Clay. :cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter:

I love him to bits. I am just so happy to see that he has this group to have with him on the tours. They understand him and works with him very well.

In San Diego, I recall Quianna answering Clay's banter by saying something about "Yeah and the tantrum". I just realize how much they care for him.