#15 the Earl of Aikenberry: a man of character and Naughty by Nature

Couch Tomato

Next thread title poll  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for the next main thread title

• Love that sweet "Hunk of Southern Comfort" who brought us all together!
    • Yet when we get together it's like I'm with my sisters - only without the issues. smile.gif
    • Clay is successsfully running with the big dogs.
    • And oddly, we all manage to share the same boyfriend, with only minimal hair-pulling and name calling.
    • Pass the koolaid, I'm thirsty.
    • The Eyes Have It!
    • he's soooo photogenic...almost sinfully, unfairly so: laughing, smiling, crying, looking pensive or naughty or goofy -It just doesn't seem to matter, does it?
    • Just can't keep a good man down.
    • "Clay wants to see your bushes".
    • Hopefully, he was out having fun or buying more new jeans, writing some new kick-ass songs, recording some kick-ass songs, having some kick-ass super-sex.
    • veins flowing with personality, thighs dripping with character.

Well excuuuuuuuse me. I stand corrected.

Sorry again--did you get to the part where I apologized and said I was grumpy yet?? :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Oh fuck, so now I'm being punished by being on top. YAY, I'm on top, being on top is cool. I'd like to be on top of Clay.

I went shopping sorry. Apology accepted. I hope I was able to make feel better. :cryingwlaughter: Don't worry about it. I took it out on the clan at the OFC of which I am sure the mods are diligently deleting my every word, as I speak.

It will be intersting to see where Clay is going. I don't expect top 40 music and I thought he was clearly saying that in his banter heee. I expect good music though. If it's vastly different from MoaM I will be shocked. I can see him doing some MJ like pop music so if he can get some stuff like that which also has nice melodies, then great. I of course could be wrong too. The good part is that we'll know what's what in a year. I don't really care in which direction he goes as long he continues to sing and tour.

ETA: I do think Clay can find a place on hot AC and AC. I'd just be suprrised if he started singing the type of music he can't even listen to for more than an hour. Is there anyone following the music scene closely..are there any trends ou there that would help Clay? I think MoaM was current so he can be current.

Great post I agree.

That's my gripe with youtube - I rarely click on the links, because I am a quality freak, I guess. Much prefer yousendit or some type of download.

Real Player's new version allows for quality downloads from You Tube by clicking Download This Video over the screen. It has worked great for me. If only I could be more discriminating! I love so much stuff.

Oh, cool! Thanks for the tip.

I may be very wrong of course, but I took Clay seriously in general terms with a lot of the Classics banter. He was clearly signaling a change, and I believe him. The question, however, is what kind of change. He has also said over and over that he wants to be current and hip and off the chain, so wherever that place is for Clay, I'm going there with him musically. I think it's exciting. I don't expect it to be rock or rap, but I do expect a contemporary album. I hope Jesse's been giving him piano lessons and that David has been giving him tips on composition, so that sometime in the not to distant future Clay can release an album written completely by him. He could title it Clayton. And, if that never happens, that's okay too. It's just my dream for him.

Hmmmm, you have a really different take on the Classics banter than I do. I honestly think Clay was poking fun at Top 40 radio, and how crappy a lot of it is, and yet it still gets played. I don't expect him to change too much.....I mean, if he did, I'd definitely be supportive of that, but I think Clay is Clay is Clay through and through. I think ATDW was v.v. artistic and a good indication of what type of music and production Clay likes....now, I know it was orchestrated, and had lots of covers, and that he didn't necessarily have a big choice about that, but there were 4 originals, and I think he picked them for a reason. I don't expect the new album to sound a whole lot different than them. JMO of course, and I could be very wrong as well. That's what I find exciting about Clay - he always keeps you guessing! :allgood:

I agree.

posthoing before I leave.. of course he loves uptempo. I just don't expect top 40 with the hip hoppy sound and rhythmic beats a la Timberlake or songs about butts. heh. So when I say no top 40 I"m not saying no fast songs. Measure of man had midtempo and uptempo.. He has chosen to do those type of songs on tour in the past. mostly of the classic pop variety. Even his soul was of the old school variety and I love it MOST OF ALL. I don't expect an album of ballads. I guess it's the style of music I'm questioning. I don't think Clay was telling us "this is me" during the classics banter. If he was, I think he would take the songs seriously.

To me a waste of talent would be singing songs that don't utilize the voice - so the tempo doesn't matter to me as long as the songs is king over the beat. But 12 or so songs is a lot of songs to play with..one thing I feel confident about it that there will be something there for everybody. When I look at the albums on my shelf, rare is it that I like more than 5 or 6 songs anyway. Clay is unique in that he can make me like almost anything.

Wandacleo..you are me. When it comes to Clay's music I just want an album. I want to see where HE wants to go and I want to be along for the journey. I can't wait to be surprised.

You're on a roll. High Five

When did he say that he would tour with a band again?

It's in one of the M&G Reports. I don't remember which one...seems like it was one of the ones from early in the Tour.

Well the M&G reports varied depending on who was reporting and who was filtering them. I only remember reading that he said if it worked out that way he'd like to do it. But I also just read one that said he like working with the symphony's and would continue to do so. So ... we'll see, won't we?

I feel the same way about the style of the next CD. We'll see. I'm sure there will always be those that think he's being forced to do what he doesn't want to do because what he's doing isn't what they want him to do. If you get my drift....

Clay contradicts himself all the time. Actions speak louder than words to me. If you go back from the time he has been singing and watch and see what songs he chooses to sing in the Hometown Connection shows, on his demos, on AI2, which songs he chooses to sing from his cds in concert, or on TV, or where ever, you get a pretty good sense of what he likes to sing. IMHO Doesn't mean he can't sing other stuff or won't on occasion. He loves to sing with orchestras. He has said that more times than he said he might have a band next tour, or that he was working on having a band. I think he will stay in his lane of expertise with more of an uptempo pop sound from the 80's to go with his ballads of love songs. Not all ballads are slooooooow either.

I also think keepingfaith might be on to something. I am expecting some kind of turning point in his career with this next cd. I think they have resolved issues and have have come to an understanding. I think Clay has learned a lot this past year. He is no dummy and he knows how the game is played. He is an active participant in his career. His star can shine as bright as he wants it, if he wants it. Nobody can hold Clay down except Clay. That is my opinion. If he is on board with his label and puts out something they feel they can market and make money with then I think you will see them back Clay.

I'm sure there will always be those that think he's being forced to do what he doesn't want to do because what he's doing isn't what they want him to do. If you get my drift....

I do indeed, and so true.

Being forced to do what? I don't recall reading anything here about him being forced to do anything. He has said that he plans what he does and sings on his Tours. As far as whether he was bored with some of the songs, that is a personal perception. YMMV

If he is on board with his label and puts out something they feel they can market and make money with then I think you will see them back Clay

I agree 100%

I do think Clay loves singing with Symphonies and I do think he will continue to sing with Symphonies when it fits the Music. I also agree Clay likes to keep us guessing. He doesn't make the speculation very easy, does he? I just know I can hardly wait until the new CD...and I sure hope he succeeds on his timetable and gets it out early next year....cuz I really want a Tour next Summer!.

Edited by Desertflower

I also take the M&G reports with a some grain of salt...just because we cannot take the reports as gospel cos they have gone through filters. So I think its safe to say that he probably will use a symphony and a band in some future tours. I think it will be safe to say that he will be singing ballads and upbeat songs and we will have more original songs in the future. What the style will be??? hard to tell.

I had already posted a quote above from a M&G about a band...

Yes I saw that. But I still like to participate in the practice myself. Because I, as the reader, like to be able to judge the source. And for me the M&G sources can be a bit hit and miss when quoted out of context. I'm not married to Clay doing symphony tours. Just saying you can pull things from various M&G reports to support the possiblity of either scenario. So I do think wait and see is probably exactly what I'll do.

Edited by jamar1700

Couchie said:

To me a waste of talent would be singing songs that don't utilize the voice - so the tempo doesn't matter to me as long as the songs is king over the beat.

See, I don't even need that. A lot of my favorite singers haven't near the voice that Clay has. When he sings ballads or mid-tempo songs, I do like his voice to be front and center, but rock songs? (I hate the term 'up-tempo') No, I don't need the perfect voice. BFM is a good example. That song was not a vocal showcase but I loved it. 'Invisible' is not a vocal showcase, either but both are a good example of a song that doesn't need stellar vocals, however I do like to hear Clay sing songs like those. A good mix of ballads, mid-tempo and rock would make a nice varied album.

I am one who thinks that Clay wants radio badly. Can you blame him? Look at some of the crap that gets played today. Even some of the better stuff, like 'Beautiful' or 'Have a Bad Day' (of course YMMV on what's good *g*) is all the kind of music that Clay could sing. I really don't see him being boxed into AC or even Hot AC. I agree with Desertflower on this...I think he could do very well on Top 40 with the right songs for him and for the audience. Even Kelly's 'Breakaway' is the type of song that Clay would kill on.

I'm sure there will always be those that think he's being forced to do what he doesn't want to do because what he's doing isn't what they want him to do. If you get my drift....

Jamar is a vera, vera wise woman.

Well, I finished mowing my lawn, but! I was multi-tasking because while I was mowing, I was also slow dancing with Clay while he sang into my ear, 'What are you doing New Years Eve?', then he mocked me because I wouldn't let the Clack skip around, then he let me sing along with him for 'Invisible'. It was a good afternoon :hubbahubba:

I hope that Clay is holed up somewhere (not.smut) with someone he loves, utilizing that piece of anatomy that he tries so hard to keep underwraps (and ties, and shirts, etc.).

While I love this thought, I hope while he's utilizing that piece of anatomy there is some new music playing somewhere in the background, and he's humming new songs into someone's ear...maybe even singing something new in that shower for two.

(yeah, I'll admit, I'm selfish. I hope the new CD makes it out some time next year)

lilyshine wrote:

I may have been dreaming or just wishing, but I thought I heard in some of the California banter Clay say something like, "It only takes one song." when referring to radio play.

I haven't been able to locate it since and it may have been a crowd comment rather than him saying it, but it's rather interesting. If it happened, it does show he knows what a crap shoot radio play is.

Did anyone else hear anything like this?

lilyshine, I do remember something about that being said also, but I can't seem to find where it came from. I'm looking. Don't get too excited though. I'm lucky if I can find my shoes and keys to get to work each day. :P

Oh shit piss happy day! Here I am on top :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Edited by laughn

Yay, I finally got caught up. :F_05BL17blowkiss: and yes :DoClay: as well. Hee, he is so handsome and cool and is proud of his instrument. :cryingwlaughter:

Anyway, count me as one who did not care for Wolf trap. It was my first JBT concert. I was sitting far away to get the joke so I was clueless and so were the people around me. Luckily , I decided to take a short hop to Columbus and saw another show there before going home. That one I enjoyed very much.

Regarding pest making your home their own, I had pigeons living under our roof at a small opening where two sections to the roof met. I hired someone to clean it up. Their droppings were all over my small courtyard. The area was constantly wet that I worried it will ruin the wood holding the roof. They placed chicken wire to ward them off. Thankfully, it was enough to deter them from coming back.

Clack, I did listen to cellstream every night when I could. I have watched a few D/L before I went to Ca 4fer. I enjoyed every single one of those concert. They were all different, although my hubby will not agree. Each of them had their own character based on spontaneity. Every single one was special to me.

I am downloading as much clack as I could possibly do. My reasoning is .. what if I wanted to see any of them and I can't access the vault? It scares me so. I have seen at least two websites close its doors. So I bought external hard drives whenever memories run out.

I remain truly Claythralled and Claystoned. Just can't get enough of him. :hubbahubba:

ETA: Clay did mention at the San Diego Concert, all he needs is one hit, just one hit. I so agree.

Edited by leeana

I watched the Clack and listened to the Cellcerts before seeing the California Concerts...and I loved every minute of every Concert. [especially Pala and Indio] I think a lot of us who live in the West, don't see him as often as those of you that live in Clayland....so perhaps appreciate him more when we do see him.

Edited by Desertflower

I guess I am opposite with you shady...I really hesitate to use the term Rock cos to me that is a particular sound that I dont think Clay wants to get into. The fact that he took out all the rock elements from TOA is an indication that its not the route he is leaning to....I agree with couchie that he probably will go for MJ type of uptempo pop similar to TWYMMF, beat it, WYSYLM and invisible...I just consider these as pop not rock and I don't even consider them pop/rock.

Yup I do think these songs can go on top 40 but only with major push. I keep thinking if High school musical can sell a lot of cds...there is hope for classic pop styles to make a comeback.

eta: BTW...in the long article about Rubin...I was so excited when he pointed out the importance of a melody...I think that is something Clay will always want in his music.

Yup ...Clay is like a Rorschach test... a lot of times our perception and interpretations of his actions and words are more a reflection of what we want. Personally...I am not a big fan of glory noting ballad boy Clay. I would love a more contemporary and even upbeat songs from him. BUT...when I compare his performance of TWYMMF and MOAM...The Classics with WY and The TV medley with TOA...I just get the impression that he gets more lost in the music of of the ballads and his artistry really comes out at these times. Yes...he gets alive with upbeat songs...but he often treats it as something fun where he can joke around with the audience and be goofy. I think he will have some upbeats songs in his new CD but I bet the ballads will still out number them.
I agree with almost all of this. I can really hear how beautiful his voice is on MOAM in concert (not the CD) or MDYK (in my opinion, the best combination of his voice and song ever), but then I remember the a cappella Invisible: During a radio interview, he denied having perfect pitch but bet the DJs that he could sing Invisible in the same key as the recording. He sang a few lines, they played the recording, and the key was the same. What was awesome was not that he could do this, which is actually pretty easy, but how beautiful his voice was on the song when all you could hear was the vox. Even tossing off Invisible to win a bet for TBAF, he couldn't help but be wonderful. Sniff.

I do indeed, and so true.

Being forced to do what?

It was a general comment on the content and sound of the next CD.

Edited by jamar1700

Anyway, count me as one who did not care for Wolf trap. It was my first JBT concert. I was sitting far away to get the joke so I was clueless and so were the people around me. Luckily , I decided to take a short hop to Columbus and saw another show there before going home. That one I enjoyed very much.

I need to ask....what joke?

I was there. I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Couchie said:

To me a waste of talent would be singing songs that don't utilize the voice - so the tempo doesn't matter to me as long as the songs is king over the beat.

See, I don't even need that. A lot of my favorite singers haven't near the voice that Clay has. When he sings ballads or mid-tempo songs, I do like his voice to be front and center, but rock songs? (I hate the term 'up-tempo') No, I don't need the perfect voice. BFM is a good example. That song was not a vocal showcase but I loved it. 'Invisible' is not a vocal showcase, either but both are a good example of a song that doesn't need stellar vocals, however I do like to hear Clay sing songs like those. A good mix of ballads, mid-tempo and rock would make a nice varied album.

I agree with this except BFM and Invisible are NOT rock songs by any stretch of the imagination IMO. They are up-tempo pop songs. Which is fine and which do get radio play.

I also think Clay wants radio play badly. I just hope he doesn't back away from songs he wants to sing just to get it. And while I wouldn't mind a song or two on an album like BFM (which he apparently didn't like) and "Invisible", I hope they are in the minority. They were fun concert songs, but IMO a bit boring and fluffy. Clay is unique and I guess I want his songs to be too.

I was never in love with the album MOAM. I found most of the songs bland and nondescript. I thought the production left a lot to be desired and to me I thought it sounded like it was thrown together in a couple of weeks. There was only one song I really liked from the first listen - "Touch" and grew to love MOAM. The others I could take or leave. I did, however, like the songs better live. I do not want another album like MOAM. I also wasn't crazy about ATDW and not because it was covers so much as the covers that were on it. I think, however, the production was far superior to MOAM's and vocally Clay sounded much better that on MOAM. Some songs were stand outs to me. BW, for example. I loved the way Clay put this song together - sort of new agey. Very creative. Very unique. And he sounded superb on it. I also loved IYDKMBN because I love green-eyed soul Clay. I loved LAA and grew to like LNM. Never liked EIH. Adored TOA. On the whole, while I don't love ATDW, I think for me there was more to like on that album than on MOAM.

His next album? I don't have a clue in this world what the sound will be like. I suspect we'll have more of a variety of tempos. I would be willing to bet there will be several ballads on it. Other than that, I have no clue. I doubt even Clay knows for sure. We'll know when its released, which will be when its ready. Remember, perfection takes time honey! (tm CHA). I do know this. There will be some compromise involved in the final track selection. There always is. Just as long as Clay is happy and proud of it when its done, then that's ok with me. Now, whether or not I love it, we'll see. Clay is my musical anomoly but somehow even when I don't like an album, he keeps drawing me in.

Little shit.

Jamar is a vera, vera wise woman.

Yup. I think there are some who just cannot admit Clay may not want what they want so they have to blame someone else.

Clack? I download lots, watch little. I always think I will watch it, but just don't seem to ever get around to it. I don't even listen to Clay that much. I don't have an iPod, don't really have time when I'm home and the car I am driving right now doesn't have a CD player, so I can't on my commute. Plus, quite honestly, I get tired of the same old same old. Maybe if I ever get an iPod I can download tons of stuff and put it on shuffle with other artists and listen to him that way.

I'm not a huge fan of the Glory Noting....I do love AIW though...and it was totally worth travelling across Country to go to the last Christmas Tour just to hear him sing that song. But MDYK, brought tears to my eyes the first time I heard it. The pureness and beauty of his voice just got to me. I still adore MDYK.

I just hope the new CD has a bit of everything..Uptempo/Radio Friendly numbers, some Ballads, some Green Eyed Soul. I agree with Shadylil, not every song needs to showcase his voice.....sometimes it's great to have a song that gets you moving and pumps you up. One of my favorites is IYDKMBN-I think that is a sound most people who are not die-hard fans know Clay can do.

Hmmmm, you have a really different take on the Classics banter than I do. I honestly think Clay was poking fun at Top 40 radio, and how crappy a lot of it is, and yet it still gets played. I don't expect him to change too much.....I mean, if he did, I'd definitely be supportive of that, but I think Clay is Clay is Clay through and through. I think ATDW was v.v. artistic and a good indication of what type of music and production Clay likes....now, I know it was orchestrated, and had lots of covers, and that he didn't necessarily have a big choice about that, but there were 4 originals, and I think he picked them for a reason. I don't expect the new album to sound a whole lot different than them. JMO of course, and I could be very wrong as well. That's what I find exciting about Clay - he always keeps you guessing! :allgood:

Didn't he start out the tour making fun of Top 40 radio (ie "classic songs your grandchildren's children's chilren will listen to") and change it up at some point to the "I'm going to try to be cool now" schtick? To me it looked like he was making it more about making fun of Top 40 'crap'. But then again, I don't believe we can take anything he says from a canned skit onstage too seriously. It's all about the entertainment factor, kinda like late-night talk show hosts might make fun of someone they really like for the entertainment factor.

luckiest I agree with your assessment of the 4 originals on ATDW. I'm expecting the next CD to have a similar flavor. And I may just be whistlin' dixie, too, cause I don't know nuthin' and don't pretend to.

And my unsolicited opinion on current radio. I was thumbing through Fred Bronson's Billboard Number 1 Hits book and decided it would be fun to download one #1 hit from each year from 1955 to the present and put them in a playlist. It was really a lot of fun until I got to the mid- late- 90's, then the pickings got pretty slim. Through the 70's and 80's particularly there were tons of songs I liked and I really had a hard time settling on just one for each year. Then in the 90's it started going downhill. I'm not saying there was no good music in the 90's or the 00's (oughts), there was. Just not much of it made it to #1. My list is still blank for 97, 99, 2000, and 2003 - 2007. :( What the hell happened to music in the 90's?

A little interlude. I've narrowed down my favorite picture list, and I have to choose 2 from these. Indulge me while I post them, so I can decide more easily, OK? Or maybe I'll just stare for a week or two.

277258530.jpg

277258533.jpg

277258534.jpg

277258540.jpg

277259445.jpg

277261416.jpg

277261431.jpg

277262252.jpg

Thnx.

I watched the Clack and listened to the Cellcerts before seeing the California Concerts...and I loved every minute of every Concert. [especially Pala and Indio] I think a lot of us who live in the West, don't see him as often as those of you that live in Clayland....so perhaps appreciate him more when we do see him.

Amen to that!!! :)

Some of my favourite things:

ClayTampa6-1.jpg

ClayTampa5-1.jpg

Pic055fsn.jpg

lookingatbotw.jpg

hot4.jpg

gorgeouselvis.jpg

canada.jpg

:)

The joke of putting ice on each others back. I only found out about it after the show. Clay and company were giggling and could hardly sing because they were laughing do hard.

The joke of putting ice on each others back. I only found out about it after the show. Clay and company were giggling and could hardly sing because they were laughing do hard.

I remember that well and remember all the consternation in Clayland after it. What I didn't and still don't understand is how one 10 second antic can ruin a three hour concert for you. I guess I was grumpy at the time with all the complaints because I would have donated a kidney to have been there but then THAT's just MPOV and I respect everyone's right to be annoyed. I just didn't (don't) get it. :)

I remember that well and remember all the consternation in Clayland after it. What I didn't and still don't understand is how one 10 second antic can ruin a three hour concert for you. I guess I was grumpy at the time with all the complaints because I would have donated a kidney to have been there but then THAT's just MPOV and I respect everyone's right to be annoyed. I just didn't (don't) get it. :)

Could be because I wasn't in on it? It was very distracting as it ruined the flow of the show for me. Believe me , it was more than 10 seconds of shenanigan. If it was then it wouldn't have been a distraction. It went on for a while and continued on while they were singing. I felt very much an outsider watching an inside joke that did not look funny from afar.

Edited by leeana

sob....I miss not seeing him on the GMA summer concert series. Those were the bestes. :clap:

But there is always next year. With a well received new CD it could very well be!! :me0: