#15 the Earl of Aikenberry: a man of character and Naughty by Nature

Couch Tomato

Next thread title poll  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for the next main thread title

• Love that sweet "Hunk of Southern Comfort" who brought us all together!
    • Yet when we get together it's like I'm with my sisters - only without the issues. smile.gif
    • Clay is successsfully running with the big dogs.
    • And oddly, we all manage to share the same boyfriend, with only minimal hair-pulling and name calling.
    • Pass the koolaid, I'm thirsty.
    • The Eyes Have It!
    • he's soooo photogenic...almost sinfully, unfairly so: laughing, smiling, crying, looking pensive or naughty or goofy -It just doesn't seem to matter, does it?
    • Just can't keep a good man down.
    • "Clay wants to see your bushes".
    • Hopefully, he was out having fun or buying more new jeans, writing some new kick-ass songs, recording some kick-ass songs, having some kick-ass super-sex.
    • veins flowing with personality, thighs dripping with character.

My daughter got it the day it came out, from an HMV store. So it's definitely in their catalogue...perhaps you can go into your local HMV and special order it? And yes, I do like it. I traveled to Dayton, OH in June to see Kim perform in a club, and she sang a few songs from it. In fact, she had the #1 song on the dance charts with her single, and the club just went nuts when she sang it!

I'll give that a try! I had someone in Calgary that would actually talk to me at an HMV store, but not here. I'll have to cultivate a new acquaintance. I tried to find it in Buff as well, but no go.

Good Morning everyone!!

I still think the whole thing is a hoot and IF it happens and I think that's a big IF - I will so be there if I can. :)

It sure did spice up an otherwise boring Sunday night and made saying goodbye to my son just a little easier to get over! :lol:

Hate to go to work - maybe I'll sneak on a couple of times and peek cause I just won't be able to resist! :lol:

Have a great one everyone!!! MUAH!!!

I keep hearing that Kim and Clay are not friends anymore like it's some big truth I forgot to notice. Didn't Clay just mention Ruben and Kim and Kelly as his friends not so long ago.

I think this might be in reference to my comment, so I'll post-ho. I definitely think they are friends now. I definitely think there was a time when they were not speaking, likely because of some hurt feelings. Keep in mind, I know absolutely nothing beyond my observances, so don't take it as gospel from me!

I am very pleased to observe that they seem to be friends now.

I have ta say, I think on the tails of AI2 Rewind that this tour, if it happens, could be a good thing for all of them... you gotta know that Clay's humor would make the show shine and people who had never seen him before would leave wanting to see him again and to buy his next kick-ass CD. He'd have fun, make some money and new fans... I'd go for sure.

Ruin his career... I don't believe so... IMO!

I am sooo behind, haven't read 64 to 72 and may not have time to since work and RL have suddenly turned up the volume.

Since I have missed MANY pages, don't know if this has been posted recently, but figure that doesn't really matter... pretty is pretty at any time, especially multiple times... (leer)

BlendSummerTour2007_08.jpg

It kind of makes me sad that some of you think those of us who are truly upset by this news are a form of amusement; I find that rather disrespectful of our opinions.

Now this I think is one of those slightly overstated comments that starts putting people on the defensive - I am sympathetic that some are upset. I do find amusement in some of the over-the-top reactions to many things. I am not disrepecting anyone's opinions. Let's not go down that way.

I really loved Clay and Kim's recorded Without You, so if they were trying to get some Clay fans to buy something of Kim's, well, so be it.

I don't mind either Kim or Ruben. And I don't think Clay is totally beyond singing with people who may not have had his level of success. Clay still has some dues to pay in the entertainment industry, and frankly singing with Kim/Ruben exposes him to another potential fan base - and might help dispell some of the nasty insinuations that floated around and resurfaced in Orlando. Kim and Ruben do have a fan base - I just don't think it's particularly tied to the internet. And frankly I don't find the psycho Ruben fans any worse than the psycho Clay fans. The key word is 'psycho'. Frankly I don't expect the majority to bother me one way or another.

As for it breaking in a blind item on Kim's MySpace - I'm neither surprised or worried - frankly, I don't think Clay likes to tell us anything until it's tied down seven ways to Sunday because if something changes for whatever reason, the reaction will not be good. Hell, there is always a fair amount bad reaction whatever the news is.

Couch Tomato, yeah that....

AND if I were to find out that this 'tour' becomes reality, I'd add that it would be icing on a perhaps lopsided cake if Clay had some solos that showed his genius AND exposed some of the AI-loving audience how he's....grown. How he shines. How much of the REAL thing he is.

You know, I've always liked Kim and Ruben...LIKED. I've always loved Clay Aiken. LOVED. I think Kim has a good voice and she has one of the most wonderful smiles I've ever seen. Ruben has a pleasant voice and seems like a good guy.

But Clay.

Clay Aiken is a star, even if he's not striving to be one. He is simply and irrefutably unique in his talent, his potential and his heart. I canNOT get upset about him sharing a stage with his two friends, whose talents I enjoy, too. I caNOT think that Clay would feel threatened or lessened by appearing with them. If this is what HE wants, he'll do it and he'll shine in whatever time he has on that stage. Because...

Well, because he's who he is. And regardless who's on stage WITH him, he's still that man. With that voice. And that heart. And wit. And personality. And hawtness. And humor. And genuineness.

So I'm not worrying about him. I'm just loving the man and what he brings to my life.

:allgood:

Now...I'm REALLY going to bed. I get to have Alex at school by 6:50 am. Yippee. :glare:

:clap::clap::clap: WHOOT...WHOOOT!!!

It kind of makes me sad that some of you think those of us who are truly upset by this news are a form of amusement; I find that rather disrespectful of our opinions.

Now this I think is one of those slightly overstated comments that starts putting people on the defensive - I am sympathetic that some are upset. I do find amusement in some of the over-the-top reactions to many things. I am not disrepecting anyone's opinions. Let's not go down that way.

I guess it does come off as somewhat defensive, but that was last night when the news broke and I wasn't dealing well with it; still not and they just hit me the wrong way.

Kim

I keep hearing that Kim and Clay are not friends anymore like it's some big truth I forgot to notice. Didn't Clay just mention Ruben and Kim and Kelly as his friends not so long ago. Say what you want about Kim but that girl has always guarded his privacy. And she did it when it counted. I remember someone who knew a mutal friend of family member said she wouldn't even talk about him to her own family. I think it's time to pull out the pantsing in the kitchen story.

The funny part about karaoke is that label only seems to be stuck on Clay, not Ruben and Kim.

ETA: I have Kim's first CD and I like half of it. Half of it was pop princessy stuff. But half of it was more R&B. Unfortunately the pop princessy songs were better than the R&B songs while I think that R&B is her strength.

I thought Clay said he keeps in touch with Ruben and Kelly, has their numbers on his cell phone but didn't hear Kim in that mix. He said it in some interview but couldn't possibly find it or remember what-where-or when, so discount this as crap if you want. But, you know how Clay says one thing one minute and another the next.

I'd like to throw in here that country music "stars" always tour together, ditto some rock stars. It seems to be a mix that works but then maybe their fans don't angst like this fandom. Can't figure this out but it surely falls in the "over invested" category that people talk about.

I am looking forward to not battling for the front row! I can see the scalpers turning up their noses! BWAH HA HA HA HA!

Anyhoo, I'm picturing this as a very short, intimate venue thingie...and no symphony. I'm thinking a lot of R&B...I'm thinking we may get IYDKMBN...and I would go for that alone. Ooooh, if it happens, I will also lay y'all even odds that there will be a little gospel too. Fair warning.

I look forward to it if it happens, and will feel only a little sad if it doesn't. Kim and Ruben do get some radio play (way more than Clay), and while not 'stars', have legitimate music careers.

August 31, 2007 - Friday

Billboard review of "Band of Gold"

Category: Music

..> Band of Gold

KIMBERLEY LOCKE

Producer(s): Michael Lloyd, Mike Curb

Genre: AC

Label: Curb

..>

Freda Payne's 1970 No. 3 hit "Band of Gold" may have been done to death, but a refresher course with ignition control of Kimberley Locke turns "Gold" green again. As with every song she has delivered, the "American Idol" alumnus--who earned high marks with her performance of this track on season two of the series--has commanded an enduring love affair at AC radio, with six hits and two No. 1s, including previous No. 6 "Change" from current CD "Based on a True Story." With a firm base in the gay community, the Bimbo Jones remix will only extend Locke's reach. So many seasons into the show, fewer original victors maintain relevance. (That's the way of the pop world.) But Locke has drop-kicked Ruben Studdard and Clay Aiken as the season's real winner.--

Chuck Taylor

:huh:

:cryingwlaughter::P :lmaosmiley-1: And I just MUST copy my post from CH in reaction to this because I'm still :lmaosmiley-1:

But Locke has drop-kicked Ruben Studdard and Clay Aiken as the season's real winner.--

I've been staying out of the "Should he/shouldn't he" bruhaha just because...but when I read this (sitting in my office so freakin' early in the morning all alone) I actually guffawed like a freakin' mule! BWAH and BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

To me, this single sentence wraps up the whole PR/publicist/spin machine business.

Good God on roller skates.

A local radio station here likes to play the same song every day at 5 pm to signal the end of the workday and the beginning of 'real life'. I find that the refrain resounds in my head after reading that Chuck Taylor decree---

"I smoke two joints in the mornin', I smoke two joints at night...smoke two joints when I play video games, and at every ten thousand points (I smoke two joints...)"

'cuz that Chuck Taylor dude has surely been in the wrong kind of head shop!

BWahaahhhahahahahahahha!

Edited by muskifest

I'm not going to discount you at all, I just remember him mentioning her lately, in addition to the whole warm up thing in the meet and greet. i don't care enough to go in search of it - but this whole Clay/Kim breakup is not something I'll believe because of fan supposition or because Quiana was in his special and not Kim.

Pantsing story - for those that never saw it

Muski, Billboard has lost its mind. I know radio has been friendlier to her than Clay, and I'm sure he must only be talking about radio, but even that's a big ass stretch. But again, it's media, what do you expect.

My first reaction to the Billboard blurb was "no way". I have Kim's first album mostly to have "WY" but I did like a couple of other songs, but I don't listen to it anymore. I've always liked the way Clay and Ruben's voices blend together. But a tour? I just don't know.

I don't have any control over Clay's career, his decision making nor do I know his "big picture" plan.

So, I'll wait and see what comes of this before I angst a whole lot over it.

It does make me wonder what is up with the new CD. I think if Clay was to capitalize off of exposure from AI Rewind/5 yr anniversary, I would rather he use that or not delay promoting it because a reunion tour is planned. But this is also just "what if/what's happening" speculating on my part. I probably wouldn't even put this in the mix except for what Clay said in a M&G about the new music possibly being ready by early '08.

Clay and Kelly in a duet? No thank you... I have never heard then sing well togeter, they may have fun, but it is my ears (one voice - eep). Actually, it is Kelly that I don't like in duets, didn't like her with Jacob or Tamyra or Fantasia or Ruben. Singing alone fine, but not with anyone else. Hard to believe she used to be a back up singer.

Josh, I would like Josh added to the mix, if they have to go out as a group, I loved the Beegees group song. Josh has a successful career as well, I know he is not "group 2", so maybe he is not close to Ruben or Kim.

Clay not speaking to Kim because he didnt mention her? How many people is Clay supposed to mention at one time, can't some friends just be assumed? I understand that Clay went to a Josh concert, but he never mentions him in interviews or meet and greets.

I know that Clay always manages to pull off show and entertain me, I m sure they would again, still, I would like to see this as a TV show. Shoot me, I think that would more entertaining and fun on TV. Heck, I am the person who would still like to see JNT05 as a Christmas special on TV, small sets and all. I like to think there are better ways of showing some things on TV and others in concert.

Some boards have yet to be infected with this discussion - IDF and Ruuuben, I have to find Kim's board to see if it is here..

Whee in y best Jimy Cagney imitation Top of the page, MA!!!!

Edited by playbiller

I am looking forward to not battling for the front row! I can see the scalpers turning up their noses! BWAH HA HA HA HA!

Anyhoo, I'm picturing this as a very short, intimate venue thingie...and no symphony. I'm thinking a lot of R&B...I'm thinking we may get IYDKMBN...and I would go for that alone. Ooooh, if it happens, I will also lay y'all even odds that there will be a little gospel too. Fair warning.

I look forward to it if it happens, and will feel only a little sad if it doesn't. Kim and Ruben do get some radio play (way more than Clay), and while not 'stars', have legitimate music careers.

I am DROOLING at the thought of the R&B and gospel sounds that could emanate from that man's throat on stage with KLo and Rube. I love it.

The BAF is Charity Of The Day at Goodsearch today. Use Goodsearch as your search engine today (and every other day) and the BAF benefits.

http://www.goodsearch.com/default.aspx

Couch Tomato, yeah that....

AND if I were to find out that this 'tour' becomes reality, I'd add that it would be icing on a perhaps lopsided cake if Clay had some solos that showed his genius AND exposed some of the AI-loving audience how he's....grown. How he shines. How much of the REAL thing he is.

You know, I've always liked Kim and Ruben...LIKED. I've always loved Clay Aiken. LOVED. I think Kim has a good voice and she has one of the most wonderful smiles I've ever seen. Ruben has a pleasant voice and seems like a good guy.

But Clay.

Clay Aiken is a star, even if he's not striving to be one. He is simply and irrefutably unique in his talent, his potential and his heart. I canNOT get upset about him sharing a stage with his two friends, whose talents I enjoy, too. I caNOT think that Clay would feel threatened or lessened by appearing with them. If this is what HE wants, he'll do it and he'll shine in whatever time he has on that stage. Because...

Well, because he's who he is. And regardless who's on stage WITH him, he's still that man. With that voice. And that heart. And wit. And personality. And hawtness. And humor. And genuineness.

So I'm not worrying about him. I'm just loving the man and what he brings to my life.

:allgood:

Now...I'm REALLY going to bed. I get to have Alex at school by 6:50 am. Yippee. :glare:

:clap::clap::clap: WHOOT...WHOOOT!!!

And let me add my WHOOT...WHOOOOT!!!!!! I agree 100%, Muski.

:clap::allgood::clap:

Having read the Billboard blurb...

Lord knows, that looks like three-quarters of the "PR" I see being pushed - somebody braying that this is the latest, greatest, shiniest thing evah! And I end up going, "meh".

She does seem to get the radio play though. Doesn't seem to turn into serious sales. Oh well.

The only reason I brought up the Kareoke aspect, is because my suspician is that they would be singing a lot of cover songs...probably stuff from AI and I think Clay needs to get away from that. Could be wrong, but that was my gut feeling.

Kim

If I were to speculate on the content...based on what was in that blurb, all three of them will have a portion where they will sing their most popular songs...probably the ones in their current album. I will hope that means we hear more of the originals from ATDW and even some up and coming songs from Clay. I do think the duets and trio's would necessarily be covers. I just don;t worry about the karaoke stuff because these three has long proven that they have voices you don;t hear in your local Karaoke bar.

WORD....I am looking forward to ...and really hoping for a gospel medley. Right now I am so focused on the possible duets and getting to hear the green eyed soul front and center. I keep imagining the JBT motown medley with Ruben's voice blending with Clay;s instead of Jacob and having Klos' bluesy rich voice joining them instead of Q&A...This really excites me.

I am so looking forward to the banter...the promo interviews and just the three of them reaching new audiences.

That Billboard article...while may be laughable to Clay fans since we do know the difference in the three's success level in sales...it still underlines to me the reality that for a lot of people Ruben and Klo probably are cooler than Clay. Its seems unfair...but that is the situation so I say put these three together...let the world see how Clay can hold up with R&B...and watch Clay conquer skeptics and expand his fanbase.

Clay has made a lot of decisions in the past that was based on his hearts desire instead of following the path that would most enhance a pop star career. Refusing to sex up his image...the traditional style of MCWL and his yearly Christmas tour...and giving so much of his time to BAF and UNICEF travels...moving to Raleigh. If this is really in the works...I see this as one more project like that. Clay will do what he loves and will follow his heart...but he is also not stupid. He has along range plan and this can be a way for him to have fun while he waits for the next CD.

I really don't think this tour means anything about the next CD. I always thought it would be too optimistic to expect a CD in the spring with so little news about it at this time. If the CD comes out in the summer or fall... I think a spring tour will be perfect as a way to prep up the promo machine.

I thought I'd go and weigh in on the OFC thread....bring some balance, as it were. OMFG. Did you know that this means that the new CD has obviously been shelved? That he is being forced to do more covers? :cryingwlaughter: I kid you not.

I am not quite sure why people are angsting about this getting in the way of the new CD or even the tour that is expected to promote it. Why does it have to be either/or? Why can't it be both? To me, this could be something to keep both Clay and the fans busy until the new album and tour are ready to go. I seriously don't think he'd do it instead or in place of another solo tour. I also don't think he'd delay things with it. But then again, I have never been invested in a Spring 2008 album with a Summer 2008 tour. Just never thought that it was within the realm of possibility, no matter how much Clay wants it. Like he has stated, the pre and post-production on the album is what takes the time. I am actually quite excited that this tour could happen, because it would give me a reason to travel next summer! Heh, and I need a reason, because my Visa is screaming at me to stop for a year or so. ;)

ETA: Or what ansa said while I was typing. :lol:

Edited by luckiest1

Heh...I've been reading MSNBC's take on the VMAs - because lord knows I didn't actually watch the thing and this is what I've taken from the article:

Britney bombed. 'Cause she was fat.

Kid Rock and Tommy Lee are apparently fighting over Pamela Anderson.

Justin Timberlake is tired of the Simpson girls and wants more videos.

Covers and semi covers are actually good. (Chris Brown and Alicia Keys).

People in the music biz are gonna do what they need to do. Including Clay.

I think I shall wander over the OFC for awhile too. Won't say a word. Eye-rolling will be happening though.

pretend the Final Jeopardy theme music is playing...

Well, I have wandered back.

All I've got to say is:

1) I don't see a name out there managing anyone's music career successfully (or badly for that case) so I think many people are whining to hear themselves whine.

2) I hope the whining makes them feel better.

3) If the whining doesn't make them feel better, they should stop.

4) I'm amazed at how little the whining bothers me.

5) No one should have to go to a concert they aren't interested.

6) I don't see the need for anyone to beat others over the head with their non-attendance though.

7) I do think Clay knows Kim and Ruben much better than anyone on any board and they have all claimed to be each other's friend. I will take them at their word.

8) I don't think Kim or Ruben are under any kind of illusion that a vocal portion of the Clay Nation apparently doesn't believe they deserve to breathe the same rarefied air as one Clay Aiken - but I don't think they care - because I think they know it's a small portion. Noisy, but still small.

Racy Timberlake ‘Box’ video wins Emmy

‘SNL’ parody, Internet sensation takes prize for best original music, lyrics

Saw this on MSNBC while looking for this reference, KAndre!

People in the music biz are gonna do what they need to do. Including Clay.

But that Emmy for "Dick in a Box" from SNL...just CMSU big time! That WAS a hilarious parody! :cryingwlaughter: