#18: He has always had the VOICE! But, boy has he ever learned to use his instrument!

Ansamcw

Thread title poll  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title on the FCA board?

• Cheerful snark, cheerful criticism, cheerful smut, cheerful acceptance, cheerful sporking, cheerful threats, cheerful maniacal laughter....
    • There are so many different kinds of beautiful...
    • He's blossomed from a confirmed nerd to an international bon vivant.
    • You never know when that rush of emotion will hit you when it comes to Clay!
    • All it says to me is that Clay's critics are full of s***, six ways from Sunday.
    • Clay Aiken:glorious voice, excellent comic actor, master of character and man in tights!
    • This guy is not only a star, he is a lot more...

I know there's another song called Lean On Me, (

) but I don't think Clay ever sang it. I've been wrong before though.

I seem to recall that maybe this song (the duet) was written by the girl he's singing it with? Not sure on that, though.

ETA: Okay, Claygary, but what you describe is the circumstance of Wind Beneath My Wings.

EATA: Totally agree that Gary Morris has the best version of WBMW.

ETA: "Lean on Me...when you're not strong...something something something...I'll help you carry on"

:cryingwlaughter: Striking any bells with anyone? :cryingwlaughter:

Bill Withers had a hit with it in the early 70's. Remade by Club Nouveau in the 80's.

Best version of Wind Beneath my Wings was the first version by Gary Morris.

Just in case you were' wonderin' *g*

eta...the movie WAS "Lean on me" 1989 starring Morgan Freeman.

Hi Cotton, I can't watch that show after the debacle but I like the pictures from that show of Clay alone. He certainly lost his inhibitions on that show whwn it came to dancing.

When my computer died suddenly my older son suggested I take out the hard drive and put it in a shell specially made for that purpose. Amazingly it works. I thought I had lost a ton of family pictures.:clap:

Jamar and Cindilu, I'm with you both on Gary Morris' version of WBMW. I wonder what he's doing now? Thinking of him reminded me of a woman I used to see at company management meetings, she was a big Gary Morris fan, she used to follow him around from show to show had his picture in her cubicle at work. Hmmm, what was she thinking? ha.

Yes, that's the one I mean...and Clay DID do a version of it that I've heard. He was young, I think it was for someone's wedding, the key was wrong for him and it was not. good. IMPO...but it was definitely sung by him.

I don't think I've ever seen this. I'd LOVE to hear Clay sing Lean On Me (the Bill Whithers song). Is it downloadable anywhere?

From CB:

j4clay posted this in the pledge thread -

I wrote to AskFox too but decided not to sound like a Clay fan. Looks like only Clay and Regis will be on November 1. Here's what I wrote and what they wrote back:

Hi,

I understand that there will be a celebrity show(s) sometime in October or November, with stars such as Regis Philbin, Kelly Pickler, and Clay Aiken. Can you tell me when that show will air? I sure don't want to miss it!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A big 2-Hour ALL-NEW episode airs on THU 11/1/07 (8-10pm ET/PT) - featuring Clay Aiken and Regis Philbin - if no baseball

The other celebrity episodes have not been scheduled yet - but look for them in the weeks following 11/1/07

ASKFOX

Clay's Wind Beneath My Wings is one of the two songs (that I can think of right now) that I've heard Clay sing that I haven't liked. This one almost makes me uncomfortable to listen to - like I'm peaking in on someone practicing. The other is the Goo Goo Dolls song from JBT. What was that? I heard that he changed it up later in the tour, but I never listened to it.

I wanted to say a quick hello... HELLO!!! I have been a member here for quite awhile but only started spending serious time a couple months ago.

I am not much of a poster, it is usually all I can do to keep up with the reading but over the 4.5 years that I have been a Clay fan, I have read on a lot of boards.

You are a very special group and I just wanted to say how much I am enjoying being here.

I have had 4 days off and finally caught up, after not getting to read much last week. I like all of the different personalities and opinions. I especially appreciate the respectful way everyone is treated. I don't always agree but that is what makes it interesting.

Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Hello, I mostly read, too, I'm always behind, and other people say what I want only better so I just pick out the good quotes and give a thumbs up.

So :bravo: good coming out of lurkdom post.

:00003653: to Amazed in NJ

Wonder what all that Oakland Airport thing was about...didn't know anything until I saw your note, CG....of course, how WOULD I have known while I was on my hands and knees in the garage... <_<

Bet you wouldn't have minded being on your hands and knees in the garage if Clay were with you..... :whistling-1:

Hope the kitty is going to be ok.

I know some love ATD, but a whole lot of others don't. I hate it. I am a lyrics person and the lyrics to that song are terrible - trite and banal! And the melody is droning.

BUt then again, I love "Touch" - and Clay obviously doesn't!

Of course, what that guy said could - and most likely does - mean nothing. He could have been invited to submit songs for consideration. He could be writing songs in hopes Clay and Co. will listen to them and consider them. Who knows.

And as much as I don't like ATD, that doesn't mean I wouldn't like another song he wrote.

And I still love Scarlett and don't want to incur her wrath in case she sics KAndre on me!

Clay's Wind Beneath My Wings is one of the two songs (that I can think of right now) that I've heard Clay sing that I haven't liked. This one almost makes me uncomfortable to listen to - like I'm peaking in on someone practicing. The other is the Goo Goo Dolls song from JBT. What was that? I heard that he changed it up later in the tour, but I never listened to it.

Iris. One of my favorite things on the JBT. Different strokes for different folks, for sure.

Heheh, yeah, nothing trite about those lyrics :cryingwlaughter:

You know that "Lean on Me" song?

They called him Clayton Grissom. Didn't he change his name when he was around 18? If so, think how young he was when this was recorded. His voice is so mature for a kid of 16, 17, 18 or whatever.

He really is an amazing talent, isn't he.

ETA:

Heheh, yeah, nothing trite about those lyrics :cryingwlaughter:

Well, they're a hell of a lot better than eyes seeing and spinning balls and angels fighting! Those lyrics are the very definition of banal!

Hey Jaycee..thank for your wonderful post today. When people lurk for awhile I get so curious and nosy about them heee. So I'm always thrilled when someone pops in to say hi.

I'm not a lyrics person.... I'm a soul music lover and some of that stuff has the stupidest lyrics ever. But they are classics and I love them. So it's a combination of things including the singer.

TOA -- Clay made me love that beyond all reason...so much so that I'm willing to fight Claygasm and Jamar for it :sport-smiley-002:

Go Cleveland. :smokelots:

Bwah are we going to have a throw down over the lryics Touch vs ATD? Can I vote for both of them?

oh lordy :smokelots::smokelots:and this isn't even my team

Touch - now those are lyrics that I don't like - overused phrases. Kinda hott here and there. But then there's TOA - overused phrases, but strung together, and sung by Clay, live, throwing his shoulders back with arms outstretched, closing his eyes and turning his head slightly to the side...very hott.

Oooh, FromClaygary, do post some pictures from your art trip!

liney23, I use descriptive titles on my banter clips so that might help with your compilation ('course it would have helped more if I were done with Orlando, Syracuse, Philly, Newark, Frisco, Asheville, Cary, Columbus and Canandaigua but I'm working on this disk that Muski wanted of WPB)

saltwaterdog, I'm with you on WBMY but not on Iris -- and for some reason, people I've met who never heard it before the JBT seemed to like it too. One of my most repeated segments of JBT is the EOTR/Iris segment. It's only behind the CompleteStumpTheBand/JY/ATD series!

LOL, Claygasm! Actually, I've almost talked Solo into Williamsport -- maybe you should wear a helmet.

But CG, I am usually a lyrics person and it was the weirdest thing that ATD seemed to conjure up 3 of my favorite stories on the Science Fiction Hall of Fame Vol. 1: Asimov's "Nightfall", Keyes' "Flowers for Algernon" and Zelazny's "A Rose for Ecclesiastes". (We heard later about the song background and that explained the 3rd story but I still don't know about the other two) Speaking of songs & lyrics, I would love to hear Clay sing something by Sondheim sometime -- maybe this one since it's not too dark...

Being Alive

Music and Lyrics by Stephen Sondheim

Someone to hold you too close

Someone to hurt you too deep

Someone to sit in your chair

And ruin your sleep

And make you aware of being alive

Someone to need you too much

Someone to know you too well

Someone to pull you up short

And put you through hell

And give you support for being alive - being alive

Make me alive, make me confused

Mock me with praise, let me be used

Vary my days, but alone is alone, not alive.

Somebody hold me too close

Somebody force me to care

Somebody make me come through

I'll always be there

As frightened as you of being alive

Being alive, being alive

Someone you have to let in

Someone whose feelings you spare

Someone who, like it or not

Will want you to share a little, a lot of being alive

Make me alive, make me confused

Mock me with praise, let me be used

Vary my days, but alone is alone, not alive

Somebody crowd me with love

Somebody force me to care

Somebody make me come through

I'll always be there

As frightened as you to help us survive

Being alive, being alive,

Being alive, being alive.

(We heard later about the song background and that explained the 3rd story but I still don't know about the other two)

I don't think I've ever heard this. Could you explain the back story, please?

ETA:

I'm off to bed.

I'll check in in the AM!

Nighty Night, FCA!

Add me to the list of TOA lovers. I liked it on the cd but when I heard Clay sing this live, he made my heart stop. But, the sentimental favorite, BYLM does nothing for me still when I listen to the studio recording. I love watching him sing this on clack but it's still the one I skip when listening to the cd.

Can I just say a huge OMG and swoon tonight in honor of Lean on Me? I heard this gem for the first time today and it will be on repeat for awhile. Where has this been? I would love a clean recording of this song and whoever wrote this song needs to be on a very short list of song writers who write specifically for Clay. And his duet partner? Not bad at all. They blended so well together. I felt like I was listening to the female version of Clay's voice. Love her. What is her name? Does she have any other songs out there for me to download?

I would love to hear Clay sing something by Sondheim sometime -- maybe this one since it's not too dark...

Being Alive

Music and Lyrics by Stephen Sondheim

Oh, I adore the "Company" score! I went YouTubing a few months ago for all the Company revival clips after seeing Raul Esparza on the Tony Awards show singing "Being Alive". Hands down, I think his version was the best ever and from the YouTube clips I've see, I think Raul was the best Bobby ever; Raul, IMO, brought some fire and passion to a character that was rather wimpy. Which got me to thinking, I wonder if Clay got to see this show before it closed in July? I would love to see Clay as Bobby, just to hear "Being Alive", of course, and the additional song "Marry Me a Little". I do think that now Clay is too young to play Bobby, the character needs someone more in the mid-thirties range, but I would love the idea of Clay seeing the show and aspiring to that role. Or maybe we could get lucky someday and Clay may be invited to a Broadway event or PBS show and sing that song!

Actually, something about "This is the Night" has always reminded me of Sondheim's "Send in the Clowns", besides the four syllable title; maybe TITN is the pop version of the latter.

I am usually a lyrics person and it was the weirdest thing that ATD seemed to conjure up 3 of my favorite stories on the Science Fiction Hall of Fame Vol. 1: Asimov's "Nightfall", Keyes' "Flowers for Algernon" and Zelazny's "A Rose for Ecclesiastes"

I also love "Flowers for Algernon". Thanks for the recommendation on the other two stories, I'll look for them now!

ETA: Cotton, these are reported to be the original lyrics of ATD (found in a moonhead post at CV):

Through my eyes

I have seen the world start spinning like a ball

Stars light up and then fall for you

So then what's a man like me supposed to do?

Could I give you the moon? Would you notice that I'm right beside you?

Well now 1000 days and 1000 nights are not enough

Cause I can't hold back the way I feel about my love

Won't let it go

Won't let it go

And if the angels came, I'd fight them back to win your soul

So that Lucifer and Gabriel just go back home

They oughta know, they oughta know

That you're mine, all mine

In my world

You're the sun that shines and lights up the evening skies

Clearing up the horizon

Oh girl

Come with me and I will never let you down

Oh, and in this love we'll drown, this I promise you

May God strike me down

Won't let it go

Won't let it go

They oughta know, they oughta know

I would crawl at your feet just to reach you

I’d stand tall I won’t preach but listen

Your heart won't lie

So reach out for me

Won't let it go

Won't let it go that you're mine, all mine

They oughtta know, they oughtta know.

If you want, you can read a synopsis of "A Rose for Ecclesiastes" to decipher any parallels between it and the original lyrics of ATD.

saltwaterdog, I'm with you on WBMY but not on Iris -- and for some reason, people I've met who never heard it before the JBT seemed to like it too. One of my most repeated segments of JBT is the EOTR/Iris segment. It's only behind the CompleteStumpTheBand/JY/ATD series!

Maybe that's the problem - I knew the song before and loved it. I should have listened to it after he changed it up. I might feel differently.

Another song that I absolutely loved was WISYS, the Bad English version. At first I didn't like Clay's version all that much, but it really grew on me. Now I don't care for the Bad English version. :lol:

Its Tuesday so time for Banner change...

In honor of the Atlanta episode this coming weekend...we have a special banner by cindilu2 that commemorates the journey we have taken with Clay. This is a banner she original made for Forever Clay...so we are keeping her original tagline...

so thanks so much Cindilu2.

Its Tuesday so time for Banner change...

In honor of the Atlanta episode this coming weekend...we have a special banner by cindilu2 that commemorates the journey we have taken with Clay. This is a banner she original made for Forever Clay...so we are keeping her original tagline...

so thanks so much Cindilu2.

:clap::clap::clap: What a Banner!!! :clap::clap::clap:

Thanks, cindilu2!

Actually, something about "This is the Night" has always reminded me of Sondheim's "Send in the Clowns", besides the four syllable title; maybe TITN is the pop version of the latter.
Could it have been a play of words since "Send in the Clowns" is from ALNM which was based on "Smiles of a Summer Night"?

Do you think you could you spoiler the partial synopsis that you posted? Some people may want to read the original story.

ps. I need something cheerful. "Send In The Clowns" is just too sad. Must watch some funny clack.