#20: Clay is just so frickin' cute! Cute, cute, cute!

Couch Tomato

Thread Title Poll  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title on the FCA board?

• "Surprisingly, the ice did not melt."
    • Bring it Aiken! And if it turns out to be a total cheese boat I'm ready to sail with ya'!
    • Circumstances and dynamics spun together into pure electricity
    • Buy Clay Aiken because it's a top of the line brand.

I don't like to base my music likes and dislikes on the personality of people (except axe murderers and such) because things like marriages change with the change in life style. Why Robin Williams married his children's nanny after divorcing his wife and getting custody of his children! I am not going to stop laughing at his jokes. I don't like Clay because of his charity, it is just a bonus, sometimes an albatross around his neck bonus.

The contestants all have some talent, they have to sing live on television every week, and that separates them from most singers out there each day. As much talent as some have, there are always a few deer in the headlights when the live cameras turn on. It is interesting that the top 24 through 16 are taped shows now. I think it is a timing issue with getting 12 people to sing in one hour.

My one comment about Daughtry on the AMAs - get an undershirt. Sean has extra.

ETA - OK edit now working. fixed the rambling "not on any topic" stuff..

Also the gif of Clay turning the number around, because ofthe way it loops, it looks a lot morellike 96 than 69.

Interesting how my post about Daughtry's award spun off into so many different directions. Actually, I wasn't even thinking of him as an AI person when I chose to post. When I read that blurb online, the first thought that came to me was BREAKTHROUGH? Good lord, I can't even tell it's him and not one of the many other clones of whateve original sound that is!

LOL ... i think "breakthrough" just means those artists who "breakthrough" with new sales!!

I guess i think it's pretty much "money making" driven.

I watched a snippet of the AMA's last night and wondered if AI produced the show because it was so Idol laden. I don't particularly like or dislike Chris Daughtery but his music is huge right now so it was fitting that he should win the award. Carrie is no longer just a country star and her song Before He Cheats is played on all radio stations as it Daughtery's song Home and his new one I can't name. Kelly C is old news, has won every award available, needed a break from the manipulation around her, has enough money and probably doesn't care about that stuff anymore, JMO. Now it's Carrie's turn to shine and deal with the fame. Clay, while we love him to death, just doesn't play the music that appeals to the radio crowd. He has so many other things to do in his life that chances are he doesn't really care anymore either. Somehow Clay is the one everyone still addresses as the runner up from AI, the others don't seem to carry that sign around and he's the one that takes all of the shit for being who he is.

The popular music today is either country, rock or hip hop. Not all artists who enter the industry want all of the fame, they just want to make music for a living I think Taylor Hicks is an example of that.

The music industry seems to take a toll on it's stars and the results are breakdowns, drug addictions, broken marriages and on and one it goes. The lure of money is powerful and that will never change. Clay, for all of his detractors didn't succumb to that shit for very long and that's why we love him.

Yep and it's probably always been that way. So Carrie and Daughtery may not be "originals" but I think their music is equal to or better than what else is out there. In the past I do think folks were not rewarded based on where they came from so to me there ya go - a breakthrough for AI alums LOL.

I definitely think the format of AI now would have benefited Clay. Hell it benefits everybody because America gets to see thing sing week after week before the real competition begins. But they way got to top 12 was really sweet so wouldn't change a thang.

Well to me breakthrough is about a new artist that has captured the attention of the public, the media and the industry. It is not the same as a new artist award because I think in that instance they recognize the potential...and the excellence in work. Now that does not mean the winner will be the one that sold the most album...but the one that their peers beleive is best. When it comes to breakthrough...I think the success of the CD in sales...and in radio play and exposure should be considered because it means that that artist has the attention of the public. Daughtry certainly has that.

Personally...I do not expect to like every artist that wins awards because I don;t really like ALL types of music. I can appreciate a good hip hop song or rap by I don;t really enjoy all of it. So I can't judge whether Akon deserves an award or maybe someone else shoudl;ve gotten it. But I do know that I liked two of his songs.

To be fair to the music industry...a lot of times they simply follow what the audience are into. Its not even about what is played on the radio anymore...cos a lot of radio is dying. Its what CD's are getting bought, downloaded or what vidoes are getting the most hits on you tube. The fact is...all throughout history, the unique and ground breaking sounds don't always end up being the big pop hit. Even the Beatles became popular on their most light hearted and bubble gum pop songs. Its more about the familiar and what people like to hear so it is pretty common to find similar sounding songs getting the most attention.

Since it was the AMAs, I'm thinking "Breakthrough Artist" meant a debut act that had sold a truckload of CDs and that had a fan-base that knows how to spam polls. That's where I think the AI connection helps. Daughtry winning in both "Rawk" and "Adult Contemporary" categories should tell you about how meaningful the AMAs are, other than as primetime exposure for the acts that appear on the show.

I watched a little last night, and must say it was the first time I thought Maroon 5 didn't completely suck donkey balls during a tv performance. The lead singer has a better recording voice than live performance voice, I think. Maybe he lipsynced.

Clay content - He has a great voice, whether it's recorded or live. :DoClay:

My post indicated that I also shun Chris because of his love of self. (cocky to the max) I shun because of general ugliness and an obnoxious personality. that's a two-fold shun. *g*.

Funny how there have been many people who have described Clay just the way you described Chris Daughtry and we start yelling how wrong they are and how unfair they are etc, etc, etc.......

Maybe it would be wise to keep that in mind the next time someone says Clay is an ugly, obnoxious diva.

IMy one comment about Daughtry on the AMAs - get an undershirt. Sean has extra.

Hee!

And we keep asking Clay to NOT wear an undershirt!

Since it was the AMAs, I'm thinking "Breakthrough Artist" meant a debut act that had sold a truckload of CDs and that had a fan-base that knows how to spam polls. That's where I think the AI connection helps. Daughtry winning in both "Rawk" and "Adult Contemporary" categories should tell you about how meaningful the AMAs are, other than as primetime exposure for the acts that appear on the show.

I watched a little last night, and must say it was the first time I thought Maroon 5 didn't completely suck donkey balls during a tv performance. The lead singer has a better recording voice than live performance voice, I think. Maybe he lipsynced.

Clay content - He has a great voice, whether it's recorded or live. :DoClay:

I just checked the winners and nominees and I do think its all about sales and fan votes. DO the fans vote for every award? I think Daughtry winning in adult contemporary is because of Home...and favorite album...must be because fan votes...cos I JT sold more I'm sure.

christelklein :welcome:

Worked until 3 AM and my butt is draaaaaaagin'!!

Is this Pam H. - as in QueenP at CH?

If so, she was part of our local Greensboro/W-S group before we moved to SC. I love her. She's a sweet gal and I want to smack her sometimes for not seeing herself for the wonderful gal she is!

Nope~equally wonderful Pam G., who is also in Greensboro; you will remember her as the lady who accepted the award on behalf of all the Beta Alpha folks at the Gala.

Pam H. is still with our group, though. And still hilarious!

I'm much too brain dead to put sensible sentences together; but wanted to add my agreement that the effect of AI on the music scene today is mind-boggling. I'm hoping that eventually, the influx of singers that CAN, for the most part actually SING...may turn the trend back to music that can be sung. Hope it's in my lifetime.

Good thing I looked, because I was thinking it was a Gallup Poll type of thing....

From the 2007 AMA website:

For the first time in American Music Awards history, winners will be determined by online voting at ama.abc.com (votes will be collected from Oct. 9 to Nov. 2).

The AMA's, IMO, have ALWAYS been a popularity contest. Nothing more. The Grammy's is when things get hairy, because they are supposed to be based on "artistic merit." *snort*

But muski's thoughts about the whole matter highlight what I feel is crux of the matter: is this the music the people "want," so the record industry gives it to them, or is this what the record companies are offering, and the public making their choices based on that? It's actually two different things, and it's actually something that goes on all the time in other artistic fields too. Librarians run into this constantly; should we only offer Danielle Steel, because that's what our readers want? Or do we try to get them to read something a little more thought provoking from time to time, even if they kick and scream the whole way? It's actually quite a difficult question, one with no easy answer, and an answer that I don't think even marketing can begin to deal with.

Claygasm, you said what I feel as well about "descriptions." So much WORD.

Well, if I am honest, my regard of any artist who enjoys the advantages of radio play must be tainted by a certain amount of envy. envy.gif Plain and simple. And before anyone "corrects" me by pointing out all the non-radio advantages Clay Aiken HAS enjoyed, let me hold up my hand now and pettishly say, "I don't care". I want equal time for the so-deserving Clay Aiken on the radio and until he gets it, I will continue to pout like a thwarted baby and eye every other so-called artist with excessive resentment. heh

pout.gif

Well, if I am honest, my regard of any artist who enjoys the advantages of radio play must be tainted by a certain amount of envy. envy.gif Plain and simple. And before anyone "corrects" me by pointing out all the non-radio advantages Clay Aiken HAS enjoyed, let me hold up my hand now and pettishly say, "I don't care". I want equal time for the so-deserving Clay Aiken on the radio and until he gets it, I will continue to pout like a thwarted baby and eye every other so-called artist with excessive resentment. heh

pout.gif

Will you marry me?

I must admit to resenting it a little ... i usually try to ignore it.

But on the very few occasions when i DO listen to the radio ... i usually think the songs i hear are pretty mundane/boring/tedious .... except for some famous classic rock standards.

I find most "modern' stuff on radio pretty forgettable ... and even if i like the beat i don't crave hearing it again.

00lsee and cindilu2, I understand the sentiment. And yet, for me personally, I've never understood the idea of pouting. Whenever I try it at home with my husband, he usually just says "get over it." *g* Sure, I want all that stuff for Clay; I want the best for him, and what he wants for himself.

The thing for me is that I don't see CLAY pouting about all this. He instinctively knows how to "count his blessings" and he realizes how good he has it. I do think he wants more, no doubt about it in my mind actually. But he counterbalances it with a healthy sense of realism.

I've never been much of a Maroon 5 fan but they have a new song out that I just love and it wasn't the one they sang last night.

ansa, I also like different types of music. I can't listen to hip hop/rap but the Gnarls (sp) Barkley song 'Crazy' was one of my all time favorite songs and they are a bay area gangster rap group. They did cross genres on that one so it wasn't true hip hop/rap.

Ldyj, you are right about the book situation. I'm a volunteer librarian and people just love Danielle and Nora and others who write romance. It completely escapes me why but you can't argue with their popularity. Samey same for the music industry, people like what they like and grab what's out there that matches their tastes. Music or books, no amount of selling will ever influence me to like hip/hop or rap or romance novels but a good song or a good book grabs me and then it doesn't really matter.

CG, thanks for that...we should always be careful with words because they may hurt someone we love.

OOlsee what a cute picture you brought today.

00lsee and cindilu2, I understand the sentiment. And yet, for me personally, I've never understood the idea of pouting. Whenever I try it at home with my husband, he usually just says "get over it." *g* Sure, I want all that stuff for Clay; I want the best for him, and what he wants for himself.

The thing for me is that I don't see CLAY pouting about all this. He instinctively knows how to "count his blessings" and he realizes how good he has it. I do think he wants more, no doubt about it in my mind actually. But he counterbalances it with a healthy sense of realism.

Yeah, but I've always said Clay is a bigger person than me.

*I* am a selfish bitch, and I want what I want for him. No apologies! :F_05BL17blowkiss: Spout all you want about the quality of his songs - there isn't one track on ATDW (or MOAM for that matter) that isn't as good or better than 'Home'. Vocally, lyrically, whatevah. I want them to give him a chance.

As for "descriptions", I'm fine with people thinking Clay is "cocky" or "arrogant" or "obnoxious" and disliking for that. It's their opinion and they are entitled to it. Lord knows I find lots of people objectional for a single initial impression. No one is required to like everyone. And like playbiller, I've never found it necessary to like someone personally to enjoy their talent.

As for the difference in the art the people "want" vs. what they are willing to settle for from limited choices? Interesting conundrum. I think the music industry dramatically narrowed their offerings with the advent of MTV and arena rock - where megastars could carry a label, but with the introduction of the internet and expansion of indie stuff, more individual tastes were catered to. But with the advent of everyone listening to their personal tastes, that limited the broad based hits of yesteryear.

pats all the pouters on the shoulder and the queen of pouters (you know who you are!) just 'cause.

Don't care about radio since I haven't listened to it for years.

Love romance novels with a deep and passionate love, and in the same way I love music - I expect it to entertain me, first and foremost. For me, that's the most basic part of any art. I'm old enough to remember when sci-fi was looked down upon much like romance is now, and I was told by a fair number of English teachers that I needed to read "better" material. I also remember them assigning the "better" material. And I haven't picked up that "better" material since I passed my last test. But I still have my first book by Roberta Gellis, who helped push my interest in accurate medieval history and politics - because the good authors put some serious research into it. I dunno. It's a complicated issue - as I personally could not even finish the first Harry Potter book but my child ate them up and pushed him toward some others who's name I can't remember.

As for "descriptions", I'm fine with people thinking Clay is "cocky" or "arrogant" or "obnoxious" and disliking for that. It's their opinion and they are entitled to it. Lord knows I find lots of people objectional for a single initial impression. No one is required to like everyone. And like playbiller, I've never found it necessary to like someone personally to enjoy their talent.

KAndre, yeah, but then again when Clay does get those descriptions about being ugly or a diva you don't get upset about it. There's not a link I can go to about Clay that has any sort of description like that doesn't have a bunch of claymates fighting other's opinions. We do like to go on about karma and karma works for other artists too I suspect. But who am I to talk - I spent last night snickering over Connie singing in a store while people were just trying to shop around him. But in all honesty, he's the only idol that works my nerves and has since he was sneering at me from Idol4. And I'm only posting about it cuz it's the subject du jour. Every single person that crosses that idol stage - I wish them luck cuz they all went through the same things at Clay and most of them didn't get to realize any part of their dream after their season ended.

As for radio..Clay wants it. I want it for him. But I won't be listening. Hate radio for what it has become. And frankly it's been like this, playing the same 20 songs over and over for as long as I can remember.

Daugherty was my favorite the year he was on AI, but after awhile all of his songs starting sounding the same...and the OTT pimping got to me. But as with every year since AI2, I don't really care who wins. What got me about Chris was his attitude when he got booted. He was angry..I remember him saying how he was supposed to win. The whole entitled attitude just really turned me off of him completely. Then you started seeing pics of him at the Hollywood Clubs and at a Paris Hilton Party, while his wife and kids were at home in NC.

Then the whole manufactored thing about "The Band". It strikes me as really peculiar to see the band up there with him accepting the AMA's, when they didn't even have anything to do with the album.

Carrie has had great sales and great promotion and I have no problem with that. She at least is modest about her success.

I am envious of others getting radioplay, but I don't blame them for it. Hopefully with the next album Clay will get radioplay.

I wouldn't know a Daughtry song if it bit me in the ass, so it's hard for me to get up-set about his success. I don't watch award shows unless Clay or some other artist I enjoy is slated to be on them. The only radio I ever turn on is an EZRock station here in town, on my way to or from work, and only if my iPod battery is dead. LOL. But even then, I usually manage to find the need to throw a few curse words around, because they invariably are playing Kelly (who I don't mind but who I am so sick of), Michael Buble or Josh Groban (which burns my butt because there is no way they should get airplay if Clay can't) or God forbid some guy who can't sing (pretty much every other solo male artist on the radio today). Yeah, I guess I am a bit of a pouter at times. :imgtongue:

ETA: BWAH, my old boss just came by my desk and she is literally freaking out because she is going to see Bon Jovi tonight, here in town at the arena. She was going on about his ass in tight pants and his package. :cryingwlaughter: And then she said that there is a rumour that Daughtry might open, and if he does she will be orgasmic. Oooookay, to each their own, obviously. Sad for her, but I heard the opening act was Jacob Hoggard and his band Hedley.

I know it probably shouldn't matter whether you like or respect an Artist personally, on whether you like their music. But, sometimes it does for me. I remember back in the 60's I loved the Beatles..but when one of them said they were more popular than Jesus, it just turned me off. And I wasn't religious then or now.

I would never buy anything from Micheal Jackson (used to love his stuff) or R. Kelly. I don't enjoy Tom Cruise anymore, or Mel Gibson.

Now alot of Artists are egotistical...but when they show it in public it really turns me off. Now I think it takes confidence in yourself and an ego to be a performer...but when that ego is way OTT is when it turns me off.

ETA

I didn't mention Akon or Kanye cause I wouldn't listen to their music even if they were the nicest guys on the planet.