#20: Clay is just so frickin' cute! Cute, cute, cute!

Couch Tomato

Thread Title Poll  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title on the FCA board?

• "Surprisingly, the ice did not melt."
    • Bring it Aiken! And if it turns out to be a total cheese boat I'm ready to sail with ya'!
    • Circumstances and dynamics spun together into pure electricity
    • Buy Clay Aiken because it's a top of the line brand.

My husband last week stayed home from work because he did not feel well and worked from his in house office. He had on our local radio station that I would classify as Hot AC. He came into the kitchen at lunch time and said I have heard the same 15 songs all morning. He was already tired of hearing Daughtry and Kelly.(Since You Been Gone) was played every hour. He said is it like this all the time? I informed him that most of the time the same songs are played over and over. He normally listens to the country station and does not notice it their so much.

I like Daughtry during his year on AI, but did not like his reaction when he was sent home. It was not very mature acting to me. I really like the song Home, but not his other songs so I did not go out and buy the CD. I know alot of people do like him and I have no problem with that. Just not my cup of tea.

All I know is "It's not over." Is that Home? I love that song. As in most cases I don't bother to learn the words.

To respond to FromClaygary below - does anybody get free reign anymore? I think every project will involve compromise.... but I'll go with Clay's last word on the subject --so far so good.

Love Bon Jovi, and love Jake...he's just SO OTT!! He makes me laugh, and I feel like he makes himself laugh. I'd love to see that show if it's true....weren't you going, BTW, or was it Cindy?

Nope, neither of us, but maybe goldarngirl.....I like Jacob, I went and saw him in a little club with my son a while back. He's crazy, but like you say, he makes me laugh.

Ahh, I think you're right! I had a feeling I was mis-remembering. And ooh! ooh! the next time you see a club date for Hedley, let me know...I could make a trip south!

...and ansam....so with ya on the "have patience!" I am truly excited for this new CD IF Clay is given free rein. I trust his instincts.

ETA, and back to another day, another subject :cryingwlaughter: ....mmm'mmm! honeycrisp! I found a fresh-from-the-orchard fruit stand when I was up North Bay way last week.

I've been up since 4:30 and butt is really dragging; babysitting my daughter's dog and she apparently thinks the wee hours of the morning are a great time to play....only not!

ldj You are not alone, the only radio I listen to is talk radio; I would love to see Clay on TV...I really do think that is the medium where he will make his mark...I think to real appreciate all that Clay has to offer, you need to see him and while radio will certainly get his voice out there; the public needs to see the whole package (no I was not smutting, lol!)

Kim

Sadly, honey crisps in this neck of the woods are TRIPLE the price of all the other apples now. But I still had to buy 4 on the weekend.

So the M&G buttons have gone away at the OFC, for the first batch of concerts. EEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Hope some FCAers get lucky this time around. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Sadly, honey crisps in this neck of the woods are TRIPLE the price of all the other apples now. But I still had to buy 4 on the weekend.

So the M&G buttons have gone away at the OFC, for the first batch of concerts. EEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Hope some FCAers get lucky this time around. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Oh, Lordy, my concerts aren't even in that batch and I know I probably can't win, regardless....but that doesn't stop me from hyper-ventilating! :cryingwlaughter:

Can hardly wait for the usual suspects to start announcing their wins.... :cryingwlaughter:

ETA: green-eyed monster? Oh, heck yah!!

I would never buy anything from Micheal Jackson (used to love his stuff) or R. Kelly. I don't enjoy Tom Cruise anymore, or Mel Gibson.

After everything we have been through with JP and the tabloids, does anyone ever wonder if everything Michael Jackson was accused of was a lie? I know he is a strange little guy but that doesn't make him a pedophile. :shrug:

I found honey crisp apples at our Jewel; they really were huge, so I only bought a couple, but I really liked them!

Kim

I would never buy anything from Micheal Jackson (used to love his stuff) or R. Kelly. I don't enjoy Tom Cruise anymore, or Mel Gibson.

After everything we have been through with JP and the tabloids, does anyone ever wonder if everything Michael Jackson was accused of was a lie? I know he is a strange little guy but that doesn't make him a pedophile. :shrug:

Me! Unlike Michael, though, Clay wouldn't kiss anyone's ass and pay them off.

Couchie wrote:
Clay will find his niche!!

That's SMUT!

This posthooch brought to you by AngryBaby Productions. :)

Hee...Can y'all tell I'm feeling better?

Haha! I had already copied this from Couchie's post to comment on:

Clay will find his niche!!
, ready to paste and add this: "And may I be so bold as to offer a suggestion to Clay regarding where he should be searching for said.....'niche'....?" :whistling-1:

psstt! Clay! I gotchure 'niche' rahhhcheeere! :hubbahubba:

So Ms. OOlsee, how shall we ensure that we get a chance to say howdy in DC? :lilredani:

BUT...whether on the internet or the radio...they must first HEAR the song before they know they like it enough to go buy it. THAT'S why I want radio play.

WORD, 001see. Radio may be a dying format, but I'd be willing to bet that it is still the driving force behind the majority of music sales in the world. Yes, some people hear new music on the internet. However, if you look at the top 50 best-selling artists, what the majority of them have in common are radio play, either now or at some point earlier in their careers. The only exception seems to be artists with strong television or film exposure (i.e, Hannah Montana, High School Musical, etc.) Many here may not listen to radio, but the fact is, millions of people still do. I think it's far from an irrelevent media, even now.

I'd love for Clay to continue to tour successfully. However, whether he can continue to do so without any significant rise in public exposure is far from certain. A radio hit could give him that. Of course, television or film could do that, too.

I want radio success for Clay, but to be completely honest, I suspect that may be the tougher route for him. I'm not saying it's impossible. With the right song, anything can happen, and I hope it does. However, he does have obstacles to overcome. He is not currently perceived as "hip" or "cool." He is believed to have a much older audience. Unlike Kelly, Carrie, or Daughtrey, he hasn't really been a radio favorite in the past, which may make programmers less likely to put him on automatically. I tend to believe that for him to make it on the radio, he's going to need a really great song, something with enough widespread appeal to overcome a lot of the biases against him.

However, the other route, television and/or film may, strangely enough, work for him better. These media take better advantage of his broader skill set, and seem less focused on what is "hip" or "cool" at the moment. If he can get something more sustained, like a television series, he could sell CD's and concert tickets without radio. After all, just one season of Idol exposure got him platinum music sales and years worth of concerts. And I do think television is more willing to embrace him, as evidenced by his appearances on such shows as the Nikelodeon Christmas Special, A Clay Aiken Christmas, the skating special, AIR, Scrubs, Ed, 5th Grader, The Insider, Tyra, The Morning Show with Mike and Juliet, Larry King, and Primetime Live, not to mention his multiple appearances on The Tonight Show and Jimmy Kimmel. I kind of have this feeling that he's been pursuing this avenue, though I doubt he'd announce anything until everything was completely confirmed and finalized.

He's a smart guy. I would not be surprised if he's working all fronts, radio and otherwise. However, whatever path he takes, I don't think it will be a conventional one.

I dunno - I've always had the impression that many, if not most of the more successful touring musical acts really don't get the radio exposure - Dave Matthews Band, The Dead, etc.

I think you're right in that he's gonna have to have a great song to overcome those biases. Both of the DJs and their listeners.

I've now added the poll for the thread title at the top the page. Please vote!!!!

Jenna, I agree that radio isn't a irrelevant media, as much as some like to think. It truly is a way for me to find music. BUT -- I think part of the question in all this is what kind of audience is Clay shooting for here. For "the kids," I don't think radio is the way to go. If we're talking about the adult contemporary audience, radio would certainly work. But then, there's the pesky "image" problem -- because many people who listen to adult contemporary are "adult," which in marketing terms means, "not cool."

Anyway, just my two cents.

So Ms. OOlsee, how shall we ensure that we get a chance to say howdy in DC?

Don't worry muski I'll be sure to point you out to her! "Look there's Muskifest you know the smutty...really innocent Clay fan"!

Too late, merrieeee, muskifest and I have already met....but now I plan to slink around wearing my fake glasses/moustache disguise to preserve my...er...reputation? (don't worry, I'll bring a set for each of you!) :whistling-1: hee

KAndre

I dunno - I've always had the impression that many, if not most of the more successful touring musical acts really don't get the radio exposure - Dave Matthews Band, The Dead, etc.

Not to quibble, Oh Mighty Mistress Mine, but while these musical acts don't get monster radio exposure NOW, necessarily, didn't they each at some point have radio hits?

ETA:

Ah, thanks, ldyj, I knew I had heard them on the radio at SOME point, although my main experience with them was my husband's collection! And DMB, while they were successful BEFORE radio, just illustrate my point from earlier...that the group was not on my radar before I (as in me, personally) heard them on the radio.

Heh...like a dog with a bone, is I. lol

KAndre

Not to quibble, Oh Mighty Mistress Mine, but while these musical acts don't get monster radio exposure NOW, necessarily, didn't they each at some point have radio hits?

With Dave Matthews, I think the answer is yes, although I do believe they had made a name for themselves as a touring band even before that first radio hit. With The Dead -- no way. The only time they had a top 40 radio hit was in 1987 ("Shades of Grey") and many of their Deadhead fans considered that "selling out." They'd been going for YEARS without a mainstream radio hit. Indie radio, probably a different matter.

I totally enjoyed the convo today. So many different perspectives. Jenna, loved your entire paragraph on the alternatives to radio. I agree it's not dead yet but the world is moving in a different direction and since it's all about me (and I hate radio with a red hot passion) I hope Clay get get on the new wave. Of course I wouldn't spit on a big time radio hit.

I know it's only Monday but I know this is a travel time of year or at least folks get terribly busy cooking and what not. So I want to wish you a happy thanksgiving. I'm actually going to my sister's for thanksgiving. That's a first. Oh that's right, I'm bringing all the food. Not a frist. She's paying for it all. A first heee. It will nice to get away all day on Thanksgiving and having Friday off is great too. Hope what your day brings that it's enjoyable!

Well, just way to much to comment on today. Suffice it to say I was nodding and commenting as I read along. Just too lazy to type it all out. *g*

But I will say I'm with couchie I will only ever listen to sports on the radio, and only if I have to. I'd rather stream that online too. Just can't stand all the repetition and mindless chatter and the commercials. Ugh.

2 more days of work and I'm off until December! :clay:

If you're in town the night before the DC show, I'm having a Christmas open house starting at 5. There'll be food and drink and if you play piyannah I've got a baby grand. I'll be playing too and we'll have a great Celtic harpist pal of mine joining in, too. Would love to see you!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Let me know if you can make it!

DAUGHTRY!@!!@$@ is fine for what he is (and the expression on his face when he got kicked off AI was priceless), but he does sound like Nickelback to me, and I've never liked Nickelback.

Chick, you though KimC would say anything else? HA!

Is Elliott doing well?

For me, a rock fan, Daughtry is derivative of Nickelback, who was derivative of Creed, who was derivative of Pearl Jam .... I'll just cut the strings and listen to Eddie Vedder since they are all trying to sound like him anyway.

KimC always crawled up my bad side. I didn't really need another reason to be disgusted by her, but she gave me one anyway.

Elliott. I always liked him. I didn't see Idol when Daughtry was voted off, but I was happy Elliot was saved for another week. He's doing great ... and got his own makeover with beautiful new teeth and longer curly locks. His album came out earlier this year and sold over 400,000 so far, and his single has been a radio hit and sold 750,000 last I heard. But if he came in concert, he probably couldn't sell out a movie theatre. He got radio, he had a hit, but he ain't no star. I always liked the kid because he had so many problems, deaf in one ear, juvenile diabetes, a mouth full of mangled teeth, dropped out of school to help support his mother by working in a drugstore ... he was a sweetheart. Now he's got a singing career. I think Elliott and Daughtry will far surpass Taylor and Kat.

If nothing else, Ai teaches us to vote and vote often. Now if only I could spam the political elections........

I think that's doable ... it's called blackbox voting now.

...did Clay ever say he knew BFM was radio friendly? I know fans thought so but that does not mean he thought it was. I like BFM enough and it seem more radio friendly than his other songs but that does not mean program directors would think so. I remember asking my daughter about it and she wasn't really impressed and thought it sounded old so I don;t really know if it would;ve been a radio hit if he recorded it.

Oooooh, another opportunity for me to throw cold water on BFM. Clay sang it well enough, but the song would never, ever, ever, ever, have been a radio hit IMO. It had strange lyric to music phrasing and there was nothing about it that stood out musically. It wasn't terrible and it wasn't great. If Clay has a breakthrough on radio, the song will have to be exceptional.

BUT...whether on the internet or the radio...they must first HEAR the song before they know they like it enough to go buy it. THAT'S why I want radio play.

Well...that...and the satisfaction of hearing that Asshat Sam Malone (and other Asshatians) announcing and playing Clay Aiken.

Oh girl, this is just my opinion, colored by many things, but I'd prefer never to hear the words "Clay Aiken" spring from the putrid lips of Sam Malone. Asshat doesn't even begin to describe that prick. I doubt you'd get satisfaction from Sam Malone -- and if he EVER played Clay Aiken songs, I'd never hear it because I refuse to let his dogbreath voice enter my world. So .... ya think my feelings about that human fecal matter are strong enough? I can do better.

Some quick comments ....

Regarding Bob Wills ... (playbiller, was that you?) In Texas .... Bob Wills is still the king because Waylon Jennings said so in his famous (in Texas) ode to the King of Western Swing (who was posthumously inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame a few years ago).

Well the honky-tonks in Texas were my natural second home

Where you tip your hats to the ladies and the rose of San Antone

I grew up on music that we called western swing

It don't matter who's in Austin, Bob Wills is still the king

Lord I can still remember, the way things were back then

In spite of all the hard times, I'd live it all again

To hear the Texas Playboys and Tommy Duncan sing

Makes me proud to be from Texas where Bob Wills is still the king

You can hear the Grand Ol' Opry in Nashville Tennessee

It's the home of country music, on that we all agree

But when you cross that ol' Red River, hoss that just don't mean a thing

Cause once you're down in Texas, Bob Wills is still the king

If you ain't never been there, then I guess you ain't been told

That you just can't live in Texas unless you got a lot of soul

It's the home of Willie Nelson, the home of western swing

He'll be the first to tell you, Bob Wills is still the king.

I can easily get in that old "Rose of San Antone" and "Faded Love" mood, given enough Lone Star or Shiner, that is.

Now, back to Clay and the radio, radio, radio. I agree that radio is going down the tubes in every way ... music, talk, weather, you name it. It's not the medium of choice any more and those days won't be back ever. But I hope for a radio presence for everyone who desires it for Clay ... because I want Cindilu and OOlsee to be happy, because I love 'em both.

Cindilu, this is GORGEOUS!

CITIHsnowflake.gif

Oh girl, this is just my opinion, colored by many things, but I'd prefer never to hear the words "Clay Aiken" spring from the putrid lips of Sam Malone. Asshat doesn't even begin to describe that prick. I doubt you'd get satisfaction from Sam Malone -- and if he EVER played Clay Aiken songs, I'd never hear it because I refuse to let his dogbreath voice enter my world. So .... ya think my feelings about that human fecal matter are strong enough? I can do better.

bwah! keepingfaith, don't hold back! (((((HUGS))))) thanks, sweetie. :)

Oh keepingfaith....just word about Sam Malone. I cannot listen to him! He just wishes he was as successful and beloved by women like Clay is...oh and he's short and has small feet! (Well I don't really know that but it is my opinion)

I wouldn't know a Daughtry song if it bit me in the ass, so it's hard for me to get up-set about his success. I don't watch award shows unless Clay or some other artist I enjoy is slated to be on them. The only radio I ever turn on is an EZRock station here in town, on my way to or from work, and only if my iPod battery is dead. LOL. But even then, I usually manage to find the need to throw a few curse words around, because they invariably are playing Kelly (who I don't mind but who I am so sick of), Michael Buble or Josh Groban (which burns my butt because there is no way they should get airplay if Clay can't) or God forbid some guy who can't sing (pretty much every other solo male artist on the radio today). Yeah, I guess I am a bit of a pouter at times. :imgtongue:

ETA: BWAH, my old boss just came by my desk and she is literally freaking out because she is going to see Bon Jovi tonight, here in town at the arena. She was going on about his ass in tight pants and his package. :cryingwlaughter: And then she said that there is a rumour that Daughtry might open, and if he does she will be orgasmic. Oooookay, to each their own, obviously. Sad for her, but I heard the opening act was Jacob Hoggard and his band Hedley.

I haven't read any further that this and yes is was Jacob and Hedley :clap: and they were GREAT :manynanas:

I'm a happy happy camper. Oh BonJovi was good too.

Which, to me, would be far preferable! Love Bon Jovi, and love Jake...he's just SO OTT!! He makes me laugh, and I feel like he makes himself laugh. I'd love to see that show if it's true....weren't you going, BTW, or was it Cindy?

For those in the US wondering who the heck Hedley is....their website

ETA It was meeeeeeeeee