#27: Ya' gotta give me somethin', honey!

Couch Tomato

What should the next thread title be at FCA?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. What should the next thread title be at FCA?

• Clay Aiken Deftly Acts Supremely Silly
    • He goes sweetly and deftly Medieval on Broadway.
    • What is it about Clay? Damned if I know.
    • Good Lord, is that man cute.
    • Sir Aiken - a triumph in SPAMalot!
    • He's a triumph in the show.
    • The man's a joy magnet!
    • Reach into that golden grab bag!
    • His smile just lights up everything.

I do buy seven. One for car. One for home. One for office. One unwrapped for posterity. 3 for friends who let me drone on and on about Clay when they could care less, but they do like his voice. I think I ended up buying more for gifts, but that's my basic. Always give his MCWL to somebody every year. I buy 4 the first week, 2 the second week and 1 the third week. Others as needed. I do have several new copies of Sway, cause they were so cheap and I just kept buying. Anyone need one???

Love Hannah! Love the whole cast. Clay looks so happy and I'll bet a part of that is the acceptance he has received and that the cast just seems to flat out like him and thru backstage video also like to play with him and that is just soooo cool!!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Yes, muski... I know you like to play with him, too! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

This recap from ClaySTO at CH makes me shiver with excitement. 5 more days until I get on the plane to NYC!

Left my laptop at home so pardon the late recap. Scroll at will -- it's long, I know, but it's my FIRST Spamalot and my first trip back to NYC in many, many years.....

My friend(MF) and I arrived in NYC on Monday around noon and after a bouncing hard ride on a shuttle to our hotel and after settling in a bit and eeeeing a bit, we ventured out into the busy, busy, noisy, full of taxi cabs, streets. That is one "alive" place! After our late lunch at a small cafe across the street from the Hampton Inn (I highly recommend this place!), we headed back planning to rest and maybe catch an off-Broadway show (we had heard some are open on Mon. night). However, with full-tummies and being pooped, we just crashed for the night. (Great beds at the Hampton)

Tuesday, 3/4, dawned with cloudy and threatening showers, but after a great continental breakfast (what a variety!) we ventured out on 8th Ave. to check out a couple of the little shops close by. There was a corner flower vendor with beautiful flowers in crispy papery "wraps" --such a bright spot on a cloudy day. We stopped in one of the little t-shirt, caps, souvenir shops where MF wanted to purchase a CSI tee and cap for her daughter. The young guys working there -- really worked to sell us something. I admired a pretty neck scarf and was told by this smiling young man that it was only $8 -- I said no, didn't think so, he then said $7 and as I walked away, it dropped to $6, than $5. So, of course, how could I pass up a $5 scarf?? (probably cost him $1). I like it though --it has purple in it! MF found her shirt then walked over to Broadway hunting that CSI cap -- and I headed back to the hotel. My replaced knee was griping and I wanted to be at my best to see BF. *g*

We snacked for lunch and headed to Juniors for an early supper. Y'all, this place is almost at the stage door of the Shubert! Had no idea it was so close! We were here, we were really here! eeeee! Before eating, we just had to see that stage door --the one we have been reading about and seeing in vids and pics.....eeeee!!!

Supper was good at Juniors -- large servings -- large! Excitement was building -- I could feel in my bones -- and especially my insides. It was like I had a fantastic date and the time was near -- And he was waiting for me (well, not exactly waiting....but you know what I mean.). We walked on down to the Shubert entrance checking to see when they would be opening the doors, and checking out the very tiny, tiny merchandise spot. Oooing and ahhing over the Spamalot t-shirt, program, etc.

Back outside, we met up wtih a young lady trying to see a Row B orchestra seat (her friend couldn't make it). Later we found out she finally gave it away not wanting to have a seat close be empty. She was from UP -- which I found out was Upper Peninsular -- I think Michigan? I was sorry she couldn't get at least half of her ticket cost. Also ran into some more Clay fans(waves to clayzedover) in the lobby area waiting to see the show. Seemed to be lots of NJU there also. The little lobby of the Shubert filled up pretty quickly. And there was that excited quivery feeling again.....it was almost time! We enjoyed talking with a couple from Long Island who came in to see the show -- NJU folks -- seemed truly interested in news about Clay -- of course, which we provided!

The theater is small but so very pretty inside -- the ceiling was beautiful. Be sure and look around when you go. MF and I were in B101 and 102 -- more on that later. The orchestra looked pretty sold out to me -- and the mezzanine almost -- the balcony had right many people there also. We got the color Playbill with the color pic and article inside. Sorry, I did't think to check for extras when we left -- we hurried to the stage door so fast. Row A is very close to the orchestra pit which is VERY close to the stage. I was peeping down in the pit along with a young lady on the front row (hellooo, starhorse) and there was Sean looking back at us -- of course we waved and he grinned and waved back. Such a cute fellow. The rows in the theater really curve around the stage which seemed so small to me. There are 2 towers, one on each side that stretch tall in sort of a optical illusion way to make them seem really big. The back part of the stage has the really huge wood/steel looking medieval gate that lifts when the show begins.

(qualifier -- I may have some of these scenes out of order -- Clay fog you know)

Tom comes out as historian (I love Tom!!) and begins to tell the story -- of course, you've heard about the fish-shlepping (?) dance. I was so struck by the colorful costumes -- no detail left out. All of the performers seem to be having so much fun. In fact, all the costumes, sets, props, to me, were top-notch. Of course, I knew Clay would in one of the towers so after the King and Patsy "clip-clopped" on stage (so funny -- Patsy is amazing!) -- I was watching for Clay to pop out of the window. His interaction back & forth with the King was hilarious. Clay's expressions were perfect -- perfectly unaffected by the fact he was talking to a King. He twiddled with the strap to his helmet and carried on and on with Rick Holmes, the other guard, about sparrows and coconuts. It was wonderful -- Clay has the facial looks and accents just perfect to me.

When Clay comes out in the Not Yet Dead scene, he plays the early Sir Robbin to a "T"! He "tings" that triangle and discusses with Lancelot this poor little guy who is "not dead" played by Tom Deckman and is just about the funniest thing I've seen. He is perfect. I just want to adopt him and bring him home! I can't imagine this part without him. And Lancelot (Rick Holmes) is also a cutie -- can I have them both?! I don't think I ever laughed so hard!

When Clay is "clopping" his way through the forest to find the Grail while his minstrels are singing about brave, brave Sir Robbin and all that is going to happen to him -- he plays with this part, I think. His expressions range from "I'm So Brave -- I can do this -- I am, too, brave -- yes, I can -- Doesn't scare ME!" to "What? Wait? -- maybe I need to rethink this -- Whoa! What did he just say? My penis -- Enough! Stop!" -- I love each and every expression on his face as the words of his minstrel (played by the amazingly talented Tom)begin to sink in.

Clay's YWSOB blew me away! Clay at the piano (yowza -- we got the tunic flip perfectly -- thanks, Clay), his power in the bottle dance and the look on his face as he is sticking out his leg and pulling himself across the stage -- concentrated power with a smirk, I tell ya -- just wow! And he climbs on that piano like he's been doing it forever -- lots of good appreciative reaction from the audience -- and especially from MF and me!

The scene with Prince Herbert -- oh my! Tom's Herbert is so sweet, so touching, and yet so hilarious -- I was beginning to feel my face cracking from laughter. His reaction with his 'mother' -- no his 'father' -- so well done! Chris Siebert is wonderful as the father King -- they play off each other so well. Tom dances his little pink clad foot out and back -- so funny! Then with all this other hilarity, in comes Clay as one of the guards-- oh my -- can this be any funnier? Clay is spot on with his reaction or non-reaction to the father King. How does he do this? I love his "iffen-uh, iffen, iffen-uh".....his accent, his expressions, his whole demeanor was so good. He is a natural.

One of my most favorite parts in the whole play. I love all the characters! Sir Lancelot is a scream as he pounds up the steps to "save" Prince Herbert. And the reactions of the Prince -- just priceless! More laughing and cracking of my face!

LOTL's outfit was nothing short of amazing -- as were her er, um, "girls". Hannah is really beautiful and her voice is fantastic! She uses her voice to lift the rafters, and plays with the notes and words in such a wonderful way! Very funny! Dennis (Chris S) pre-Sir Galahad, so funny -- what was he digging in the dirt for, btw? Love his discourse with King Arthur. Brad Oscar is also so good as his Mother and Lord Belvedere. I'm so impressed by all on stage. Must be such fun to be a part of this.

I truly adore the "LOTBSOL" with the adorable Patsy (David Hibbard) -- the tap dancing, umbrellas, the whistling, etc. I think Gene Kelly would be proud. And I also thought King Authur's "alone" solo and Patsy's expressions were hilarious.

B101 was the special seat this night -- and MF was sitting in it! She knew it was a possibility since she does read a bit on the boards, d/l's videos, watches when Clay is on TV and keeps up with Clay through recaps, etc.........so she knew it could happen. But when she saw those letters "B101", she couldn't believe it, I think. I heard her say something like "no, it isn't possible" -- but it was. She was shaking like a leaf on a tree! Let me say this is one of Clay's older fans (along with me) -- a classy lady who loves and supports Clay in any way she can. She was beyond thrilled -- Patsy was so sweet and helped her to the stage where other cast members also joined in helping her "stand up" as she said later. I was in tears seeing her reaction and knowing how much this meant to her. She does remember that Clay knelt close by (as her polaroid later verified) and how attentive all of those sweet men were with her. They helped her back to her seat -- what a wonderful exciting thrilling moment for this very fine lady. Later during the final song, I saw Patsy wink and point at MF, do did LOTL, and Tom. Clay may have but my eyes (surprising enough) were not on him for the moment.

Clay's dancing at Camelot, his reaction to and with the girls, his singing while he's dancing, his moves -- all of it -- just wow! Give this man a stage, some music, and turn him loose! He moves around the stage so easily it seems. I saw him shimmy his shoulders with one of the girls -- and another time, he bumped hips with another one. They all look like they are having a great time up there. I noticed Clay's eyes were all sparkly as was Hannah's lipstick.

Wish we could get a DVD with the whole Spamalot play on it -- showing not only Clay but everyone. What a cast!

At the end, I thought everyone got a great reaction from the audience. We stood up for Clay as he came out as did lots of others -- and pretty much everyone was on their feet singing as the words are scrolled across the back stage. Confetti rained down on everyone. Clay did get his confetti -- and what a way to get it!

We hurried to the stage door where MF wanted so badly to get Clay's autograph on her pic. She had the pic lying on top of her playbill so he could sign it more easily but he evidently didn't see the pic in time and signed her playbill. Although she asked, he said he could only sign one thing. I felt bad for her -- but she was just so happy about her whole experience as "Peasant of the Year", winning her trophy, and having her pic made plus the whole evening, it didn't matter she said. I did get my poster from the program signed. Clay looked wonderful outside that night -- he moved quickly though and was gone before you could hardly blink twice. I was on about the 2nd row of people -- looked like maybe 50 to 75 people there -- but I'm terrible with guestimating numbers.

All I can say in summing up my Spamalot experience is "I feel happy" tm/not dead yet, Fred". What a great time we had.....what fun.......Clay, you are amazing.

We made our way back to the hotel, collapsed, called our children, EEEEE'd some more, and finally wound down enough to sleep. Next day was traveling home day -- and after one of the roughest rides ever, we got to La Guardia in one piece (but barely). A very grumpy shuttle driver sort of dumped us out (no help for anyone with bad knees or older). We had about an hour and a half delay leaving so ended up eating a $11 sandwich and bottle of water at the Airport. Someone tell me why is the food there so high? Captive customers? Flight home not bad -- weather in Raleigh wonderfully warm with sunshine everywhere.

My home never looked better with all the buttercups blooming -- but I was sad that our trip was over -- for now. EEEEE!! I'll be going back on 4/30 to see the show again that night and also the one on 5/1. And I wish I could see it more. Am I crazy? I think I need to win the lottery.

sorry this got so long.

I loved that Broadway.com quote from Hannah Waddingham. I love the acceptance he is getting from his peers.

Most users ever online was 225 on Sep 27 2007, 11:06 PM
What happened on that day?

I am doing my best to catch up on what everyone already knows.... I already impress some people , well okay, NJUs... with my knowledge about Clay.....of course they don't know where I get it all from....

Wasn't that the day of the (now deleted) post claiming Clay was buying real estate in Montana or some such place? That was then linked to lots of other boards? Or was it the day we were first with a sexy pic that got linked a lot? (one of Muski's favorites)

Umm wasn't that the day when the infamous pic from Tangerinee was posted and someone...I wonder who :whistling-1: ....posted about it on another board and everyone came over to look atogle it

You might be right, being as how you had intimate knowledge of this. Heh.

I've been looking into this issue. The "Clay buying a house in Branson" thing was at the end of August; so was the infamous "Clay unzipped" picture. Both of these brought a bunch of new members here to FCA -- some who even stayed! :F_05BL17blowkiss: But I've looked at our archives like CRAZY, and cannot for the life of me what happened at the end of September that caused the influx of people visiting the site.

I like having the hard copy CD with the album notes, et al. I'm still old-fashioned that way!

Yeah, I do too. As much as I love my iPod, I really do like have the liner notes and such.

Since I have this post just sitting here - I've been watching AIR.

What's up with Olivia getting to critique everybody but Clay??!!

He got standing O's but - the only comment was Simon's 'just like last week comment.'

Pffft!

The reason for this doesn't come through in the editing of AIR. In the original broadcast, Clay was the last person to sing -- and they were running real short of time. Hence, they only let Simon speak. (Piffle) The AIR edit doesn't let you know that.

Well, I just found out that I've scheduled my trip to NYC at the worst possible time, actually. I have a summit that I'm in charge of, and that is April 8. OK, I can get a lot of work done on it before I go March 28-31. But nooooooooooo -- NOW I find out that I have to write a program plan for the library and have it in to my boss April 4 as well. Considering I've never written one before in my life....I'm sick to my stomach over this. But there is no way in HELL I'm canceling my two days off work to see CLAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! I'll just have to keep my nose to the grindstone. In other words, no searching the FCA Archives for a LONG while. *g*

I bought multiples of BOTW/TITN - and let me te3ll you, I have given almost all of them away. So many people became fans after it was sold out.. I bought multiple Solitair/the way, not so much of a demand for that. I bought two WTWNN and GBTUSA - and gave one to my sister. I like the second version of WTWNN with Rickey Ruben and Clay only.

Playbill, if you have any of these still available, I'd love to purchase. Maybe in April when I'm in NY?

I bought beaucoup copies of ATDW: ordered several from Amazon, ordered one from Sony (and it was the one I received three days before release day!!!), downloaded from iTunes, bought several from Target, Best Buy and Walmart. I have one left that it's in my CD changer, and one pristine unopened copy. All the others went to family and friends. I have two copies of MOAM -- the original with TITN and then the reissue with Solitaire. I bought a lot of MCWL for stocking stuffers and "singing" Christmas cards. Same for AIW.

I do think that is the picture. And remember how for a while that one had to be on every freakin' page? Just had to?

And then there was this one, that just had to be on every page for a while as well. In multiples, no less...

lasso.giflasso.giflasso.gif

lasso.giflasso.giflasso.gif

I always purchase multiples for various reasons and I always end up giving them to people who like Clay but haven't gotten around to getting the CD. I keep 2 for myself, one which goes in my Clay draw. I've got some great memoriabilia in that draw including a copy of LWLHD Vol 2 that I ordered from his friends during AI2.

{{{{Couchie}}}}, I'm sorry to hear that your {{{{mom}}}} is not doing well. Hang in there.

:hubbahubba: Is this "THE PICTURE"?

zipper.jpg

That's the one. Not one of my favorites, I confess. I think it's more about the jeans being too small for him than anything he's packing there in that particular pic. Compare with, say, this:

bestevah.jpg

Same peek at the midriff and *ahem* other things, but more flattering. IMO. And if anyone is going to claim that's an epipen, all I'm going to say about that is: in the video, that epipen is alive and growing, y'all, and he discretely tries to push it down to a less obvious location with his thumb. Course he's in a stadium with a gazillion people watching, so that's kind of difficult to do. MUAH to permaswooned for the pic, and to artquest for the video, which is here: A Perfect Day indeed (beginning around 1:38).

Compare with this early photo from the AI2 tour:

sorrybutTHISistheholygrail.jpg

Wow. You all keep pristine, unopened CDs??? Am I missing out on a future fortune???

And you all keep one in your car and one at work? You play Clay's CD at work? You're allowed to play CDs at work?

TITN/BOTW - Bought one, played it a couple of times. Put it away after MOAM came out. I think I know where it is.....

I bought one MOAM. I listened to it mostly in the car, but I carried it with me to work, although I didn't listen to it at work. None of my non-Clay friends like Clay, aren't intereste din him or just don't have an opinion. I would never think of giving a CD to someone who didn't express an interest in it. i think music is a very personal thing. So I didn't buy any for gifts. Never occurred to me to keep a pristine one. Hell, I was sure I would lose interest in him after a while! :cryingwlaughter:

Solitaire/TW - Bought one, played it maybe once. Put it away.

MCWL - I bought twoe. Did pretty much the same thing with it as I did with MOAM except someone I worked with said he had a nice voice once when I was playing the CD in the office so when she gave the office Christmas party, that was her hostess gift.

AIW - I think I actually didn't buy any. Since it was sold only at Walmart and I boycott Walmart a friend got it for me. Don't think I ever paid her!

ATDW - I ordered one from Sony for the magnet - which is on my fridge with my other Clay magnets (soon to be joined by the Spamalot magnet!). I downloaded one from iTunes for obvious reasons. Then I bought another but not from K-Mart. The download of IYDKMBN didn't work with Macs so a friend sent me a file for it on the condition that I buy another copy of ATDW. So I did and another Clay friend needed another copy for someone so I gave it to her.

I know I will likely only buy one of the new ones, although maybe I will download one from iTunes. Unless of course I get a present for buying a copy from different stores!

Claygasm wrote:

Wow. You all keep pristine, unopened CDs??? Am I missing out on a future fortune???

Hey, ya never know. I bet my copy of LWLHD will be worth a fortune someday if Clay continues on and becomes a huge star. I also see how valuable those old Beatles albums are in pristine condition. You just never know and besides, some of us are a little crazy, right? :cryingwlaughter:

But truthfully, I just like to support Clay and buying his CDs does help to support him. Although I don't think the online fans can keep him going, we do help and we certainly did help the sales of ATDW that first week. I'm glad he was able to chart at #2 and I think we helped it happen.

jmh said -

Same peek at the midriff and *ahem* other things, but more flattering. IMO. And if anyone is going to claim that's an epipen, all I'm going to say about that is: in the video, that epipen is alive and growing, y'all, and he discretely tries to push it down to a less obvious location with his thumb. Course he's in a stadium with a gazillion people watching, so that's kind of difficult to do. MUAH to permaswooned for the pic, and to artquest for the video, which is here: A Perfect Day indeed (beginning around 1:38).

O.M.G. Down Waldo, down! yup...sho nuff.

I never saw that video before and NOW I am watching that portion at

1:38 overandoeverandover......you get the idea. That sucker has a life of it's own. No doubt about it, the boy can't help it!! :hubbahubba:

When Clay sings passionately, his whole self gets really into it!!!

You guys have corrupted me sooo badly. Until this fandom, I never really paid any attention to male moving parts. :cryingwlaughter:

Heh heh heh! After many many moons, and by setting a sterling example, I heard merrieeee say....

Damn.

BWAH HA HAHA HA HAHAH!

Though Clay says it in a much more English way - I swear she actually came close to saying DAYUM - she did warn me it was coming though.

Uh,. Skybar, didn't the last one on e-bay go for 1500?

I have no idea but I wouldn't sell it. I kind of like it a great deal. Maybe someday if I need to. I listened to that CD over and over and over again after AI2 ended and we were waiting for MOAM. I remember walking back from the mailbox singing "The blood that Jesus shed for me........" surprisng myself and wondering how that would go over with my family since we are Jewish. Yeah, he had me. :cryingwlaughter:

American Idol Extra

This is on the Fox Reality Channel (cable). I wonder when this episode with Clay will be on; the website doesn't suggest anything at the moment.

Uh - not too impressed with the hosts.

I don't think we get this channel. Don't think I'll get my panties in a wad over this interview. We'll see.

Weird - I remember the Wango Tango pics but I do NOT remember any escaping Waldo references from that day!

I actually had to work at work today. SO rude. And now that I have time to reply, everyone's off doing something else!! Such is the life of a West-Coast fan.

liney23 I think we can swing this EHP-West initiation thingy. When my daughter went off to college, she left her glue gun and glitter behind, so I have that covered. My DH was in the Coast Guard, so he can teach me the proper technique for a slip knot....in fact he might be intrigued for us to share an activity that involves rope and knots. Oops. TMI.

Cheez Doodles? Really? Well, I suppose I could live with orange fingers if it was in a good cause.

We're set!! We'll have to get together to go over the charter, for sure!!

K'eh I hear you on being WAAAAAAAAAY in the back at the stage door opening weekend. In my salad days, I lived in NYC for 3.5 years. I had perfected the flying-elbow-wedge to be able to get myself on the subway at rush hour, but alas I don't seem to have those skills any longer. Opening night I have quite a few pictues of the backs and tops of heads, none of them belonging to Clay. I'm going to wish you better luck on your upcoming trip. I'm thinking that the crutch gimmick might have been a stroke of brilliance. People will either be polite and give you a spot or you can clear them out with one wide sweeping motion. AND, Clay will sign it once you are up there in the front.

Of course that's been used now. Maybe a fake arm cast? He can sign it, and you could knock someone out with it if push came to shove. Good luck!!

Oh Gibby, I'm so glad you are starting to give your husband good gift-giving directions on the FZ18. We'll be happy to give you some tips for indoor non-flash (i.e. concert) photos, but you don't have to do much futzing for good outdoor shots. And you have NO IDEA how amazing it is to have an 18X zoom to work with. OMG!!!

It gets you close enough to count his tastebuds, if you are so inclined:

262642098_PwdKv-XL.jpg

It even gets you close enough to detect the rush of female hormones when he first takes the stage:

262643415_civ4Z-L.jpg

Oh wait that's a shot of The Blowhole from our trip to Hawaii. Wait...does that sound a little :naughtywag: ???

Speaking of which.....I see some of my Wango Tango pics are surfacing. They were the subject of discussion at CV yesterday as well, which I completely missed because I was decorating my new digs over here!!

You know, I really mostly post close-ups of his gorgeous face. Really. When I'm taking pictures, I'm trying to focus on his face, or on his whole self. Truly.

However, I'm sure skybar22 could give me some insights on how I seem to end up with pictures highlighting some of his other fine attributes, when I SWEAR I'm not trying. When 4 of us went to Wango Tango, we got moved right next to the catwalk because of a seat reconfiguration. It was so cool to see him walk by us, stand by us, kneel and sing to a PYT right in front of us. I took whole body shots, I really, really did, and was thrilled to get some from a relatively close spot in that huge stadium. We went out for Thai food after we left the Rose Bowl, and I passed around my camera so everyone could look at pretty Clay on the teeny screen. Suddenly ncgurrl said: "I see skin....right above the lovely low-riser jeans". We swore she was seeing things, but she was right. I SWEAR I didn't see that. Those women called me every 5 minutes until I got those pictures posted. A zillion purdy pictures of his face, and it's still the WT pics that everyone remembers.

So now, I use a camera with a more powerful zoom so I can stay focused above the waist. Mostly. Except for maybe that one picture from Indio. And, oh well, maybe the one from Tampa...(geez, what on EARTH kept those pants up!!). But other than that, really, I'm all about the face.

However, in all good conscience muski, I must insist that even in the earliest of days, it was NEVER just a fold....

AI2SLC0001tagged.jpg

:hubbahubba:

OK. My work here is done. Time to go home.