#32: Man with titanium balls and the voice to back them up!

Ansamcw

What should the next thread title be at FCA?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What should the next thread title be at FCA?

• Where he thinks he belongs, and it's not in any lane, it's all over the damned highway.
    • "Clay Aiken: #1 Bad Ass"
    • Large and in Charge...
    • Let's all chant "I think it can! I think it can! I think it can!"
    • He is too good, too magical...
    • I have seen the light and the light is named Clay!

keepingfaith, you know I love you, right? Your post brought a tear to my eye, 'cause I agreed with every damn word of it. And this....

where he thinks he belongs, and it's not in any lane, it's all over the damned highway.

...would be a GREAT thread title.

But see, some people can speculate and some can't let go once something has been mentioned. It is not bad to speculate, except forthe associated people that some how take speculation as established fact - like Clay getting an award for being on Broadway, like Fantasia.

Yep - I love to speculate too - even if I don't say it out loud much on the boards - but I've been able to keep myself in check and know that "I'm just dreaming my dream for Clay as big as I can". I can separate big dreams from reality - does it mean I'm not a little disappointed when the big stuff doesn't happen, well, of course I am. BUT and it's a big BUT, I can shake it off. I like to be a glass half full kind of gal (hence the big dreams) but I also try (key word is try) to stay steeped in reality - keep my salt shaker handy when I hear stuff (even the small stuff).

And in the end, I can separate that my big dreams don't mean crap when it comes to Clay's career. I'm here to have fun in whatever while I can and enjoy myself. For me, and me alone, no sense being down over something I have no control over in the first place. And besides, I'm convinced he'll be around for quite some time - maybe not in the way any of us may have first imagined, but I just see him as the real deal and not falling off into obscurity.... It's been one hell of a ride so far, and I suspect it will continue to be so... I'm just holding on tight cuz I don't want to fall off!

Loved this post too. It really is all about the reality of the situation. Dreaming big is one thing; dreaming big and then flinging yourself off a ledge because it doesn't happen is another.

I think more than a few of us are a bit leery of speculation, just because several of the members of our old board were masters at turning speculation into fact....at the drop of a hat. I know that's the way I feel, even though I love to speculate too. Maybe, though, that's why I tend to keep my realism cloak on more often than I really need to....

It HAS been one hell of a ride, hasn't it?

*still a bit bummed that he didn't do The Daily Show on May 5*

Another thing that struck me as I watched AI Rewind this season was how pared down those first 2 and maybe even the 3rd season were. They sang to karaoke type backing tracks. They didn't get back up singers or a live band until the finale did they? I haven't watched since season 3, but have caught a performance here and there on the subsequent seasons and it just looks so different to me. It's still a wildly successful show, so it's probably going to be around for awhile. I'm not sure what gave the guy who wrote the article the idea that the early season participants were ringers too, I'm thinking he probably didn't watch then.

I'm not sure what gave the guy who wrote the article the idea that the early season participants were ringers too, I'm thinking he probably didn't watch then.

He's probably read or heard that Clay had CDs out before AI, but didn't bother to check the facts - something that waaaay too many seem to skip anymore - and find out that his weren't professional, label supported efforts.

I totally agree with jmh upthread:

but I do think this is why "ringers" Carly and Michael J. didn't make it. If they had been willing to grow and transform over the season, they'd have done better, but they thought the exposure is all they needed.

I only hate speculation when whatever it is does not happen, and then people actually get mad and blame Clay and/or his associates for not making it happen. That is ridiculous, really.

That was really a fun interview last night, he looked gorgeous. I do think Jay was kidding about the gravitas, though. It was playing along with Clay's remark about 12 YO's.

I wonder if the HDD guys are laughing their asses off, watching all the refreshing. Since the refreshing is not necessary anyway, it will refresh itself.

AI - ironic how Carly was told she looked too angry and then smiled during JCS and got criticized for it.

I think people are just tired of AI, I don't think most people put all the thought into it that this guys says. His own personal feelings, fine - but most people I know to watch are not invested at all after the last show. It is a game. Hopefully the exposure the contestants get helps them. It is a crapshoot, really.

On CH spotlightlover wrote a very, very interesting (IMO) recap of her experience in the Leno audience last night. (not sure if it's okay to bring it over) It's interesting to me in that she observed that the Clay fans were a very clear MINORITY and as a result the dynamics were 'different' during Clay's onair segments. Not so much non-fan laughter and applause at what we love and consider the funny, wonderful moments, etc.

I appreciate that post. It seems honest and real in that it allows that in the 'real' world, it really is NOT all about Clay Aiken and his wonderfulness, you know? I'm sure some in the audience were charmed by him, but I'm just as sure that others didn't 'get' what all the fuss is about.

And I have to agree that as meaningful or beautiful as OMWH is as a song and as strategically chose as it might have been, it does NOT translate well as a "OOOH, listen to THIS! A new song by Clay!" on television. His voice is beautiful on it, but the song itself comes across rather unexciting and (dare I say it?) boring, IMO.

He was fuckin' HOT, though. :hubbahubba::Thud: He looked very manly and studly and blonde god-like.

I only hate speculation when whatever it is does not happen, and then people actually get mad and blame Clay and/or his associates for not making it happen. That is ridiculous, really.

That was really a fun interview last night, he looked gorgeous. I do think Jay was kidding about the gravitas, though. It was playing along with Clay's remark about 12 YO's.

I wonder if the HDD guys are laughing their asses off, watching all the refreshing. Since the refreshing is not necessary anyway, it will refresh itself.

AI - ironic how Carly was told she looked too angry and then smiled during JCS and got criticized for it.

I think people are just tired of AI, I don't think most people put all the thought into it that this guys says. His own personal feelings, fine - but most people I know to watch are not invested at all after the last show. It is a game. Hopefully the exposure the contestants get helps them. It is a crapshoot, really.

djs... I read somewhere that the HDD people have messed with Clay fans in the past, cause they knew they were waiting not-patiently and would wait till the last minute to add numbers... It's been two years, but maybe they're doing it again and we won't get final figures until they are final (100% or close). Especially if Clay gets a great burst from them. We'll see.

I think the boredom for AI is not only the non-growth of some of the professionals/contestants, but also the total boredom with Mecrest and the three stooges. I know both of these reasons are why I am not watching at all this year for the first time. I was totally with Clay before he ever said anything. I don't want to watch people who have already had a record deal or already won a major reality show, etc.

Bookwhore...

:bday2: :hb2: :7252:

me myb... :arg-dancing-welcome-whitebg-url

#3!

CHART DATE: 05/12/2008

LAST UPDATE: 05/13/2008 12:37:47

NOW IN: FINAL

LW TW artist / album label power index % change

-- 1 NEIL DIAMOND COLUMBIA 140,004 --

HOME BEFORE DARK

-- 2 TOBY KEITH UME/SHOW DOG 100,527 --

35 BIGGEST HITS

-- 3 CLAY AIKEN RCA/RMG 92,887 --

ON MY WAY HERE

2 4 MARIAH CAREY ISLAND/IDJMG 88,498 +2%

E=MC2

1 5 MADONNA WARNER BROS. 82,830 -71%

HARD CANDY

3 6 LEONA LEWIS J RECORDS/RMG 75,612 -8%

SPIRIT

-- 7 GAVIN DEGRAW J RECORDS/RMG 70,094 --

GAVIN DEGRAW

-- 8 JOSH GROBAN REPRISE 47,240 --

AWAKE LIVE

-- 9 DIERKS BENTLEY CAPITOL NASHVILLE 43,010 --

GREATEST HITS 2003-2006

-- 10 LUIS MIGUEL WARNER MUSIC LATINA 33,889 --

COMPLICES

9 11 TAYLOR SWIFT BIG MACHINE 31,812 +7%

TAYLOR SWIFT

8 12 NOW 27 SBMG/COMMERICAL MUSIC GRP 29,448 -6%

VARIOUS ARTISTS

4 13 LYFE JENNINGS COLUMBIA 28,019 -63%

LYFE CHANGE

19 14 JACK JOHNSON BRUSHFIRE/UNIV REPUBLIC 26,813 +22%

SLEEP THROUGH THE STATIC

18 15 GEORGE STRAIT MCA NASHVILLE 26,356 +18%

TROUBADOUR

-- 16 TYE TRIBBETTE COLUMBIA 25,630 --

STAND OUT

11 17 JUNO RHINO 24,733 -2%

SOUNDTRACK

23 18 JORDIN SPARKS 19/JIVE/ZLG 24,554 +28%

JORDIN SPARKS

16 19 COLBIE CAILLAT UNIVERSAL REPUBLIC 23,979 +6%

COCO

29 20 MICHAEL BUBLE REPRISE 22,619 +39%

CALL ME IRRESPONSIBLE

21 21 JAMES OTTO WARNER BROS. NASHVILLE 22,539 +7%

SUNSET MAN

36 22 CARRIE UNDERWOOD ARISTA/RMG 22,002 +48%

CARNIVAL RIDE

30 23 ALICIA KEYS J RECORDS/RMG 21,980 +35%

AS I AM

15 24 CARLY SIMON HEAR MUSIC 21,537 -5%

THIS KIND OF LOVE

14 25 ALVIN & THE CHIPMUNKS RAZOR & TIE 21,533 -6%

SOUNDTRACK

27 26 DAUGHTRY RCA/RMG 20,814 +18%

DAUGHTRY

33 27 ALAN JACKSON ARISTA NASHVILLE 18,709 +20%

GOOD TIME

6 28 DEF LEPPARD ISLAND/IDJMG 18,208 -67%

SONGS FROM THE SPARKLE LOUNGE

17 29 HANNAH MONTANA WALT DISNEY RECORDS 17,656 -22%

BEST OF BOTH WORLDS CONCERT

24 30 RICK ROSS DEF JAM/IDJMG 17,454 -4%

TRILLA

12 31 FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS SUB POP 17,411 -30%

FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS

34 32 SARA BAREILLES EPIC 17,379 +15%

LITTLE VOICE

22 33 NATASHA BEDINGFIELD EPIC 17,151 -15%

POCKETFUL OF SUNSHINE

-- 34 MICHAEL BUBLE REPRISE 17,122 --

TASTE OF BUBLE

5 35 ROOTS DEF JAM/IDJMG 16,998 -69%

RISING DOWN

7 36 PORTISHEAD ISLAND/IDJMG 16,633 -63%

THIRD

-- 37 TOKIO HOTEL INTERSCOPE 16,075 --

SCREAM

43 38 MARY J. BLIGE GEFFEN 15,169 +16%

GROWING PAINS

49 39 TRACE ADKINS CAPITOL NASHVILLE 15,095 +24%

AMERICAN MAN: GREATEST HITS V2

-- 40 GARTH BROOKS PEARL RECORDS 14,856 --

ULTIMATE HITS

28 41 LADY ANTEBELLUM CAPITOL NASHVILLE 14,828 -11%

LADY ANTEBELLUM

44 42 KID ROCK ATLANTIC 14,201 +9%

ROCK N ROLL JESUS

38 43 AMY WINEHOUSE UNIVERSAL REPUBLIC 13,870 0%

BACK TO BLACK

42 44 R.E.M. WARNER BROS. 13,685 +4%

ACCELERATE

10 45 MUDCRUTCH REPRISE 13,555 -52%

MUDCRUTCH

41 46 KEYSHIA COLE GEFFEN 13,537 +3%

JUST LIKE YOU

26 47 JONAS BROTHERS HOLLYWOOD 13,449 -24%

JONAS BROTHERS

39 48 ATMOSPHERE RHYMESAYER/ILG 13,158 -4%

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS...

37 49 DANITY KANE BAD BOY/ATLANTIC 12,398 -12%

WELCOME TO THE DOLLHOUSE

13 50 STEVE WINWOOD COLUMBIA 11,948 -49%

NINE LIVES

On CH spotlightlover wrote a very, very interesting (IMO) recap of her experience in the Leno audience last night. (not sure if it's okay to bring it over) It's interesting to me in that she observed that the Clay fans were a very clear MINORITY and as a result the dynamics were 'different' during Clay's onair segments. Not so much non-fan laughter and applause at what we love and consider the funny, wonderful moments, etc.

I appreciate that post. It seems honest and real in that it allows that in the 'real' world, it really is NOT all about Clay Aiken and his wonderfulness, you know? I'm sure some in the audience were charmed by him, but I'm just as sure that others didn't 'get' what all the fuss is about.

And I have to agree that as meaningful or beautiful as OMWH is as a song and as strategically chose as it might have been, it does NOT translate well as a "OOOH, listen to THIS! A new song by Clay!" on television. His voice is beautiful on it, but the song itself comes across rather unexciting and (dare I say it?) boring, IMO.

It is also just one person's perspective, and as we all know, our personal filters colour the way we experience things. I'm sure if you went out looking for other Clay fans' reactions from the Leno audience, you'd find some that had a totally different perspective. I am all for people recapping their experiences, and I appreciate it when FCAers bring those recaps over so we can all read them, but I always try and remember that everyone has a different set of filters. I try not to let my reactions be coloured by the reactions of others. Unfortunately, I see it happen all too often, where someone is excited about something, then tempers their reaction when they read that others weren't as excited. I admit, it bugs me when that happens.

Personally, I like the way they have abbreviated OMWH for TV, so that he gets to the bridge quicker. I mean, I'd rather he sang the whole song, obviously, but with time constraints in place, I like what they've done with it. I also thought that the musical performance last night was very classy, with all the musicians and back up singers, and of course, very well sung. If somone watching was a fan of that style of music (i.e. AC), I can definitely see it selling CDs. However, if someone is a fan of Top 40 exclusively, it probably wouldn't. Not pointing any fingers here, but I am really getting sick of reading post after post about how he should have sung a faster song, a different song, blah blah blah, whatever......everyone has a right to their opinion.....but the way it affects the general mood of the fandom does not do Clay any favours. It used to be so much more fun, when the majority of the fans were EEEEEEEeing and excited over every new appearance, not second guessing and judging and pretending they know better.

Yeah, I know, I'm mostly preaching to the choir. :P

ETA: YAY for #3!

No, HDD isn't out to mess with the heads of Clay fans. I check the chart out most Tuesdays when I remember, and this has become the routine. Last Tuesday they did not update Madonna's preliminary numbers until after 5pm when they posted the FINAL number. They should remove the notation that it is "updated every 5 minutes." Just not true.

LdyJ -- we are morphing into twins. And we'll be your age, if that's okay?

Yes, when I read recaps, I read with an eye to how any particular poster has recapped in the past - I have heard really dreadful things said about Clay's performance and/or appearance, and then thought WTF? when seeing for myself.

This is why I don't do the cellcert thing very much, if at all - it really, for me, depends on who the cellcerter is.

At least Clay's hair wasn't pronounced full of snot this time.

Awwwright! Clay has released four CDs to his name in five years and he has two number 1's, a number 2 and a number 3? Does anyone seriously think he's not a huge recording star? When ATDW was released Clay tied a couple of others for the record of having his first three albums debut in the Top 5. Now he has four!

And ... I didn't think Jay was kidding about gravitas. Compared to the Jonas Bros. and Miley Cyrus and other teen/twenty-something stars, Clay is putting out serious, gorgeous music. Clay's voice has all the gravitas in the world, and I'm glad somebody finally used the word on him.

ETA: Regarding Q&A, I thought that was the most restrained backup they've ever done. I thought the whole performance from Clay, the band, and Q&A was absolutely perfect.

Regarding song demographics, I have now heard from two 20-somethings who aren't Clay fans and both loved OMWH and are going to download it. In fact, my 20-something DIL has heard the entire CD and thinks OMWH is the best cut on it. It strikes me funny that the one we're calling boring is the most interesting to my younger friends and family.

LdyJ -- we are morphing into twins. And we'll be your age, if that's okay?

Better yet, maybe we could morph and turn into being Clay's age? You know, that sad age known as 30?

I actually noticed the difference in the crowd through my TV set...I could tell it wasn't a Clay-centric crowd. I actually like that -- it allows him to just be himself more easily, IMO. And then, he'll either win new people over, or he won't. It's that simple really. As far as OMWH being sung, and others wanting "something else," well to me that turns dangerously close to that "speculation that becomes fact," which I mentioned earlier. I can't do anything about that, unfortunately, but I understand what luckiest1 is saying, the feelings of certain others tend to color the moods of some of the fandom. I try to distance myself from that as much as possible. Not an easy thing though....

WOOHOO! for Clay having another album debuting in the top 5! That's a great notch in his belt, and wow -- he beat Madonna and Mariah (whose sales jump is probably because of a marriage, yuck). HDD did a lousy job in predicting Toby Keith though -- they had him at 70-75,000. He's got a loyal country music following though.

At least Clay's hair wasn't pronounced full of snot this time.

BWAH!

Gravitas. I like the sound of that. IMO fits him like a glove.

On CH spotlightlover wrote a very, very interesting (IMO) recap of her experience in the And I have to agree that as meaningful or beautiful as OMWH is as a song and as strategically chose as it might have been, it does NOT translate well as a "OOOH, listen to THIS! A new song by Clay!" on television. His voice is beautiful on it, but the song itself comes across rather unexciting and (dare I say it?) boring, IMO.

I think part of the problem is its abbreviated version. It just seems very abrupt and just about the time he is getting into it, its over! I also think if he had released one of the more uptempo songs first and tried "rockin' out" there would have been a lot of snickering going on. A lot of people would think he was trying to be something he's not. We've already seen that with some of the reviews. WE know he can do it, but I have a feeling it wouldn't translate as well with most NJUs.

#3!

CHART DATE: 05/12/2008

LAST UPDATE: 05/13/2008 12:37:47

NOW IN: FINAL

LW TW artist / album label power index % change

-- 1 NEIL DIAMOND COLUMBIA 140,004 --

HOME BEFORE DARK

-- 2 TOBY KEITH UME/SHOW DOG 100,527 --

35 BIGGEST HITS

-- 3 CLAY AIKEN RCA/RMG 92,887 --

ON MY WAY HERE

Ok, who is the bad Clay fan who failed to buy the extra 7641 CDs that would have put him ahead of Toby Keith???

Ok, who is the bad Clay fan who failed to buy the extra 7641 CDs that would have put him ahead of Toby Keith???

Okay, okay, it was me. I ordered too late and they'll be here later this week! :cryingwlaughter:

And, I'm interested to know how many women got a Toby Keith CD for Mother's Day. Who knew??

ETA: And since it's speculation day, try this one on for size: What if HDD doesn't pick up QVC numbers and those are added in by Soundscan? Just positing a question. Backing out softly now.

Regarding song demographics, I have now heard from two 20-somethings who aren't Clay fans and both loved OMWH and are going to download it. In fact, my 20-something DIL has heard the entire CD and thinks OMWH is the best cut on it. It strikes me funny that the one we're calling boring is the most interesting to my younger friends and family.

(my bolded) Not me. I don't think it's boring at all. It passed my head bopping test on the first listen. I'm totally content with OMWH being the lead single. Of course, I pretty much love the whole CD, so I don't hear boring anywhere.

Can anyone explain the difference between the HDD numbers and Soundscan??

Okay, okay, it was me. I ordered too late and they'll be here later this week! :cryingwlaughter:

And, I'm interested to know how many women got a Toby Keith CD for Mother's Day. Who knew??

ETA: And since it's speculation day, try this one on for size: What if HDD doesn't pick up QVC numbers and those are added in by Soundscan? Just positing a question. Backing out softly now.

Now that would be interesting... I just wonder if QVC counts the item sold when ordered or when shipped? So maybe it would make a difference if some of their orders shipped this week?

YAY for 92K...mush better than earlier predicted and I woudl love it if the final gets him into to the 6 figures...

:00003653: bookwhore

(my bolded) Not me. I don't think it's boring at all. It passed my head bopping test on the first listen. I'm totally content with OMWH being the lead single. Of course, I pretty much love the whole CD, so I don't hear boring anywhere.

I agree, laughn. I loved it at first hearing, and 2nd, and 75th and 513th. By the time the album was released last week, I wanted to hear everything else on the CD for a few days, but listening to the whole thing start to finish .... the title track is kind of like The Dude's rug in The Big Lebowski .... it ties the room together.

Can anyone explain the difference between the HDD numbers and Soundscan to me??

HDD just tracks the numbers by getting the reports from stores but the exact numbers are not always submitted and some outlets don't give the numbers. Soundscan gather their data straight from the check out point so is more accurate. But still some outlets are not added to the overall count like Christian Bookstores...if I remember correctly.

Can anyone explain the difference between the HDD numbers and Soundscan??

Information on Soundscan, from their website:

Nielsen SoundScan is an information system that tracks sales of music and music video products throughout the United States and Canada. Sales data from point-of-sale cash registers is collected weekly from over 14,000 retail, mass merchant and non-traditional (on-line stores, venues, etc.) outlets. Weekly data is compiled and made available every Wednesday. Nielsen SoundScan is the sales source for the Billboard music charts.

Unfortunately, I can't find anything really quickly on how HDD gets their numbers, but I THINK (not positive on this) that they base their numbers on units shipped, not actual sales. Someone -- please help!

Off to listen to OMWH again...*sigh*

the title track is kind of like The Dude's rug in The Big Lebowski .... it ties the room together.

OMG, now I REALLY love you kf! Perfect analogy....and a funny (albeit a bit strange) movie!

Ah...ok...thank you Ansa! and ldyj!

:cryingwlaughter: at The Dude's rug comparison...That works!

From clayniac2 at the CB:

Clay pre-determined his placement:

(from Spam)

Quote:

"....and the number shall be THREE...not four and not two except if followed by THREE..."

:cryingwlaughter: again!

Everybody in the world isn't going to love Clay but he isn't playing to the studio audience he is playing to a much larger audience and really all he needs to crack is .001% of that to help with album sales. To me, it sounded like the same old same old audience so the 50 hardcores sure made an impression to me, the home audience.