#32: Man with titanium balls and the voice to back them up!

Ansamcw

What should the next thread title be at FCA?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What should the next thread title be at FCA?

• Where he thinks he belongs, and it's not in any lane, it's all over the damned highway.
    • "Clay Aiken: #1 Bad Ass"
    • Large and in Charge...
    • Let's all chant "I think it can! I think it can! I think it can!"
    • He is too good, too magical...
    • I have seen the light and the light is named Clay!

Well, I do know that some who were clamoring about how brilliant it was for him to launch his CD right on the heels of Spamalot and in time for mother's day are second guessing that decision now. Also, quite a few comments about why does he need to take the whole summer off. You know, teachers get the whole summer off and I don't think many of them have been working the kind of schedule that Clay has (no offense to teachers anywhere, just using that as an example) Actually, I don't think Clay will end up taking the whole summer off, but if the guy is tired and needs a little down time to rejuvenate, so be it.

peers around the corner, looking for fear - yeah, I have a sister that tells me I don't recycle properly. Of course, I have a friend oops, she is here who has verbally critiqued me on my wasteful paper towel habit, so.....

CG...I'm sort of surprised by your doom and gloom about this cd and figure it must be because, as you said, you REALLY LIKE it and so are more invested in its success. But I don't quite get the Maroon 5 example. They weren't ON the chart of top 50 last week and only charted at #48 this week. That's GOOD? :blink: Is that their debut week numbers? Even with all the radio play and their appearance on AI and their tour coming up (sharing headline with Counting Crows, by the way)...

I am surprised by my doom and gloom too (although I am somewhat of a pessimist at heart) and the why is exactly that for once I REALLY like this album. I guess because of that I want more people to hear it because I think many who may have never thought they liked Clay Aiken will discover they do indeed like Clay Aiken. For some reason I didn't care before because I myself wasn't sure why I liked him! I mean, he had yet to put out an album I really, really liked!

I don't know. I know there is nothing I - or any of us - can really do about it. The one thing I do keep wondering is why was he so anxious to get this album out May 6th when he knew because of Spamalot there would be no time for pre-drop promotion and it was finished so close to drop even if they had wanted to get the single out there a month ahead or so they couldn't have. Surely they didn't think either Mother's Day or Spamalot would give him that much of a bump. I don't know. If they had waited to release in a month or more maybe he could be singing on some of the shows like Today and Kimmel. Maybe he could have had more of a GMA concert instead a half a song. Makes no sense to me and really makes me wonder what the rush was. Maybe it wouldn't have made any difference.

As for Maroon 5 - that album has been out for almost a year! It was released in May 2007 and it is still charting. Sue its low on the chart, but its still there a year later. I just hope Clay can still be on the charts in one month!

And let me just reiterate. I in NO WAY think this spells the end of Clay's career. No way. No how. I don't think RCA will drop him. I don't think he will stop recording. I don't think he will disappear into his back yard never to be seen again. I am just really bothered that an album this good would sell this badly.

At least I can see him on my TV in about 20 minutes! That'll cheer me up because I bet he will be verra, verra CUTE!!

Play I like your idea and we can do it on main as part of our convo here.

I want people to feel free to post concerns. And maybe some of us can cheer you up or at least distract you with pretty pictures or a joke. I need that sometimes as well. Some industry perspective is what always make me understand what's going on with Clay. I know some readjusting of expectations will be in order and that will take time. But we are all in this together and I don't want anyone to feel they can't say... I don't want him to go away. We're a good group here, we can handle it.

Ansa you make some great points.

Also, quite a few comments about why does he need to take the whole summer off.

The funny part about this is that Clay prolly knows better than to show his hand or tell his plans to anyone at this point. Much snooping, intruding, and harsh critiquing would ensue.

Anyways, Clay does not have a salaried job. He likely has enough money to take a few years off. Sometimes it seems like some people think they have hired him or that they own shares in him, it really is weird. I thought it was pretty simple - he sings, people buy. Or not. He is comfy with that, it seems. Just trying to please one segment of fans does not seem wise. I do think some nice young AI bootees would prolly LOVE to have some of the guidance and advice that are pelted at Clay, though - maybe folks should think about helping someone who really needs it? Or wants it?

I keep thinking that what we see is the real Clay, and some folks just seem to want him to build a fake facade in order to seem more like want they want him to be.

(Looks up at the paper-towel user) - Bwah! You know I'm right! I am v. bad about a lot of other stuff, though.

There are people who do believe that they hae invested time and money in Clay and that listening to him is not reward enough, he has to be the bestest idol ever. I tell them to calm down and wait 10 years, Clay will still be here. He is a classic.

Eeeee, just sawthe comedy team of Black and Aiken - they looked so happy, all of them.

Can we start with OMWH tomorrow at 6 PM?

Of course when I take off, I will miss a few.

From CB's GreenEyedRobin by way of the CH:

I'm finally back from the taping. I was stuck in stupid freeway rush hour traffic. Yikes.

Yes, the couch time was WAY too short IMO. I won't go too much into it, since there have been reports so far from Spartus and others, but it seemed like the interview only lasted at most, 5 minutes. They talked about Spamalot, a little bit about the new CD, and that was about it.

I also was bummed at the shortened version of "On My Way Here". It just seemed so abrupt. I know he's sung shortened versions of other songs when doing these kinds of appearances, but for some reason, it took me a little aback when the second verse of the song was omitted.

I loved the promo shots. The little karate chops Clay did during the last one was cute. He seemed to just beam, seemed really happy.

Overall I missed seeing Clay, and this was a really nice appearance. They always end too quick for me, though, lol

I also am wondering why they shortened OMWH as much as they did. To omit an entire verse (and my favorite verse!) doesn't make much sense to me. And really short couch time? He usually gets quite a lot of couch time on Leno.

Or maybe I am just being greedy?

ETA:

Screencap from the promo:

promorev.jpg?t=1210646638

I don't know. I know there is nothing I - or any of us - can really do about it. The one thing I do keep wondering is why was he so anxious to get this album out May 6th when he knew because of Spamalot there would be no time for pre-drop promotion and it was finished so close to drop even if they had wanted to get the single out there a month ahead or so they couldn't have. Surely they didn't think either Mother's Day or Spamalot would give him that much of a bump. I don't know. If they had waited to release in a month or more maybe he could be singing on some of the shows like Today and Kimmel. Maybe he could have had more of a GMA concert instead a half a song. Makes no sense to me and really makes me wonder what the rush was. Maybe it wouldn't have made any difference.

At least I can see him on my TV in about 20 minutes! That'll cheer me up because I bet he will be verra, verra CUTE!!

CG, I'm thinking they did feel that it was a good time for him to bring his album out. I know no more than the next person about the music business, but I would bet they're almost in shock over the overall sales for Mother's Day, I think it is the second best holiday of the year for cd sales (usually). There were over 100,000 people, I think, that would have seen him in Spamalot, maybe they felt like that would have a positive impact. Who knows, I certainly don't and because I don't, I won't second guess them.

Now, I'm gonna go watch Clay on the big screen in the basement.

Hi everyone!

Just popping in to say hello and watch Leno. I see the Leno reports are great. Cause of course our guy Clay is great!!

I am quite excited to see him on my TV!!!!!!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:nanalove:

Sales are what Jaymes/Clay warned us they would be so I am not surprised and thank her/him for giving me a heads up, cause otherwise I would be more disappointed.

I am looking forward to every single TV appearance and after that every single surprise Clay has in store for us!! I bet the future is bright. :wub:

I will be at his fall concert - hopefully at the Gala - and also hopefully at his Christmas concerts, if the good Lord is willing.

Hugs to all!

I cannot stand Jay Leno. I sure wish David Letterman would remember Clay exists....

Well, in a way, he did....Dave's production company also produces Craig Ferguson.

I don't tend to watch either Dave or Jay, but I've been laughing almost non-stop during Jay's monologue. When I watch Dave, I tend to LOL at most of his stuff too. Heh.

And I love Headlines!

Hi me_myb!! Fabulous first post!!

CG, people just don't do 5 minute performances on TV talk shows. The song had to be shortened for radio and even more for TV. Don't you remember the controversy where Ringo Starr walked off the Regis & Kelly show because they wouldn't let him have 5 full minutes for his song?

Oh, didn't you hear? According to Faye, there's something really wonderful in store for Clay over the summer. Obviously, he's going to be in movie production with Mike Nichols, so you see...he had to get the cd out pronto so that he could focus on this newest venture of his career.

Also, I have some prime real estate off the coast of Nebraska---lovely little beach community that I can make YOURS for a very reasonable price. :sleezy:

Oh, didn't you hear? According to Faye, there's something really wonderful in store for Clay over the summer. Obviously, he's going to be in movie production with Mike Nichols, so you see...he had to get the cd out pronto so that he could focus on this newest venture of his career.

Also, I have some prime real estate off the coast of Nebraska---lovely little beach community that I can make YOURS for a very reasonable price. :sleezy:

Oh how stupid of me! I totally forgot he was going to star and supply the entire soundtrack to Mike Nichol's new movie!! Who cares about CD sales. He will surely win several Academy Awards! :lilredani:

Hi everyone!

Just popping in to say hello and watch Leno. I see the Leno reports are great. Cause of course our guy Clay is great!!

I am quite excited to see him on my TV!!!!!!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:nanalove:

Sales are what Jaymes/Clay warned us they would be so I am not surprised and thank her/him for giving me a heads up, cause otherwise I would be more disappointed.

I am looking forward to every single TV appearance and after that every single surprise Clay has in store for us!! I bet the future is bright. :wub:

I will be at his fall concert - hopefully at the Gala - and also hopefully at his Christmas concerts, if the good Lord is willing.

Hugs to all!

Welcome

claygasm, i agree about jay leno and dave. i just think dave is smarter and edgier than jay, and not as much of a back stabber. he also seems more straight forward. i'd also love to see clay on the daily show or colbert.

claygasm, i agree about jay leno and dave. i just think dave is smarter and edgier than jay, and not as much of a back stabber. he also seems more straight forward. i'd also love to see clay on the daily show or colbert.

I would KILL to see him on the Daily Show! I think a lot of us would!

Claygasm - Do not panic, do not extrapolate - is used for a reason, the reason is there is a lot we don't know, we will know a bit more tomorrow and then even more on Wednesday. We have no idea what is in store. I don't count on Faye for clues to Clay's career, it is more likely something personal in his life.

Vacation, we get to choose. Clay does not tell us how much vacation to take, ergo we do not get to tell him. I am very big on not instructing Clay on anything. I am not his mother, teacher, sister or even friend. And he does not get to tell me how to act or behave, and if he does, I get to ignore him.

Clay is a recognizable name, I am sure he is sifting offers allthe time, sometimes it might bea birthday party, but others are probably interesting. Did we know he was turning down Broadway for years? Didn't a lot of fans say that appearing in Spamalot would be the death of his career? Fans know bubkis, I am not particularly thrilled with speculation either - why? because fans dream impossibly big and then get angry when it does not work out - like some who had Clay hosting SNL the week Spamalot ended - not likely for physical impossibility as well as he is just not thought of that way by the general public. There is so much to celebrate and some people are just mad that their made up plans didn't happen. I vote for celebrating.

Summer is also a slow time for TV, maybe he will book some, maybe not, but people are busy with their own lives now and there was this big earthquake in China and he has to prepare for his UNICEF trip - and he studies, learns some of the language and customs, so it may take a bit. I will be at the beach or home gardening. Not much on watching TV in the summer, too much to do.

I would KILL to see him on the Daily Show! I think a lot of us would!

*hands CG a gun, knowing that I would then be an accomplice to a crime* I would LOVE this as well.

Jack Black is sooooooo funny.