#32: Man with titanium balls and the voice to back them up!

Ansamcw

What should the next thread title be at FCA?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What should the next thread title be at FCA?

• Where he thinks he belongs, and it's not in any lane, it's all over the damned highway.
    • "Clay Aiken: #1 Bad Ass"
    • Large and in Charge...
    • Let's all chant "I think it can! I think it can! I think it can!"
    • He is too good, too magical...
    • I have seen the light and the light is named Clay!

You know, I don't even really care what the NUMBER is....I just want him to be in the top FIVE...that way he can hold onto his record...

Isn't that right? All his cds debuting in the top five?

On a happier note - From Pause and Play:

Release of the Week

A common criticism of "American Idol" finalists is that when they get into the recording studio, their talent is overshadowed by poor material selection and overproduction. There's not a hint of that on Aiken's first album of original material since 2003. Just listen to the title track and you'll be asking too, "Why didn't he win Season 2?!" Check out: "On My Way Here," "Ashes," "Everything I Need," "Something About Us." Hear here.

The thing is that the "50%" isn't really 50% of sales, it's 50% of retailers, so the interim numbers don't actually mean anything.

Back in 2003:

NOW IN: 49.52%

1 CLAY AIKEN RCA 263,132

Ended up at 613K

Back in 2006:

CHART DATE: 09/25/2006

LAST UPDATE: 09/26/2006 07:00:34

NOW IN: 54.83%

LW TW artist / album label power index

-- 1 CLAY AIKEN RCA LABEL GROUP 144,327

Ended up at 211K

I have a particular song lifting my heart on this momentous day:

LADY OF THE LAKE:

If you trust in your soul

Keep your eyes on the goal

Then the prize you won't fail

That's your grail

That's your grail

So be strong

Keep right on

To the end of your song

Do not fail

Find your grail

Find your grail

Find your grail

Life is really up to you

You must choose what to pursue, oh yeah.

Set your mind on what to find

And there's nothin' you can't do

So keep right to the end

You'll find your goal my friend

You won't fail

Find your grail

Find your grail

Find your grail

COMPANY:

Find your grail

Find your grail

ARTHUR:

When your life

Seems to drift

When we all need a lift

Tell yourself you won't fail

Find your grail

Find your grail

Life is really up to you

You must choose what to pursue

Set your mind on what to find

LADY OF THE LAKE:

And there's nothin' you can't do

You can't do

Dooooo!!

COMPANY:

So keep right (so keep right) to the end (to the end)

You'll find your goal my friend

Find your grail!

You won't fail

Find your grail

Find your grail

Find your grail!!

Whatever the goal, whatever the prize, whatever the grail, whatever the 'numbers'...nothing, but nothing can change the fact for me that "On My Way Here" is a good album. A really, really good album. I love it. I just love it.

So, regardless of the questions and unknowns and what ifs, with that voice in my ears, I'm chock-full of happy.

I am so proud of Clay today. There's nothing you can't do, baybee. :)

I'll have what ^she's ^ having! :P Plus, that makes me picture Sir Robin pointing to himself and nodding yes, when the LOTL looked at him while singing her song. :wub:

On a happier note - From Pause and Play:

Release of the Week

A common criticism of "American Idol" finalists is that when they get into the recording studio, their talent is overshadowed by poor material selection and overproduction. There's not a hint of that on Aiken's first album of original material since 2003. Just listen to the title track and you'll be asking too, "Why didn't he win Season 2?!" Check out: "On My Way Here," "Ashes," "Everything I Need," "Something About Us." Hear here.

Well, that's cool! :clap:

Changed my mind...Looking forward to Leno tonight.

Kim

The thing I've been noticing these most recent few years is the STEADY strength of the country music market and scene. I do believe that's a big reason why Carrie Underwood is so successful. Yes, she can sing, but she's also firmly identified with that genre and it is a genre that is quite good at self promoting, marketing and 'family' pride. She's purdy and perky and is everything that family could hope for as a Faith Hill successor, you know?

Clay fights NOT being promoted heavily in a DEFINITE genre/market and/or not really being able to self-identify with one! (bless his multi-talented, multi-faceted self!)...so his competition is all over the place...

Anyhoo, I'm looking forward to Leno tonight, too, akim....but I'm also verra, verra happy that I'm not there in person.... :unsure: I'm rather sure, as well, that some who ARE there are quite content that I'm missing in line... :cryingwlaughter:

For those watching the numbers...

you really can;t extrapolate because the numbers are reported as certain outlets report...and these outlets do not have the same pattern of sale for all artist. There are some outlets that are good for Clay some that are good for Keith. . It seems that right now we are seeing outlets that sell a lot of country CD...we can only get the clear picture after the final numbers tomorrow...

as usual ...do not panic...do not extrapolate!!!!

I am concerned but they will be what they will be.

Of course others are already thinking he will sing either Ashes or Falling tonight on Leno instead of OMWH because those songs will sell albums. Following that logic then the reason his sales are so poor is because the song OMWH is the single? And its had how many spins??

Of course, I also read if either Ashes or Falling had been released to radio 2 months ago things would be different. Was he even finished recording 2 months ago? For that matter, if OMWH was released to radio 2 months ago and actually was played on the radio, things might be different.

I still don't think that Clay will easily get radio play no matter what song was released. I have also read in some reviews and comments from NJUs that when they hear Clay sing a more uptempo pop song like Ashes, Falling of EIDN they don't buy it, that he sounds like he's trying too hard. He seems like he's trying to fit in where he doesn't belong. Now WE know that's not true, but if that's how the NJU think, then why would a PD at a radio station play one of those songs? Seems to me if that is the way they think they would be more likely to play the ballads they think he should sing than the pop/rock stuff they don't think he should sing.

KAndre, the look back at the numbers made me sad. I know much can be contributed to a failing economy and the drop in CD sales overall, but damn. At this stage of reporting for ATDW he had already sold much more than his TOTAL first week sales are likely to be this time out!

It is ironic that what is his best album to date is selling so little. I would be surprised if this album ever goes gold. I would be surprised if it sells 250K.

Unless TC has something up their sleeve to give this little gem some legs - and I sure hope they do!!!

I'm so depressed. (tm King Arthur).

Of course the dreary day here may be contributing to that........

Come on!!! It's way too early to be writing off this CD. Good grief people - it's WEEK ONE, and his promotion began for all intents and purposes LAST WEEK. I am the first one not to want to set too high of expectations - but come on. Have just a little faith. Please? Give Clay and his team a little credit. Please??? They KNEW what they were doing, what they were up against releasing the CD when they did. Have a little faith that they, if not we, are willing to give it a chance to build.

The freaking experts who 'know' that things would have been different if only... I seriously wish they'd just. give. it .up. You are not doing Clay or anyone else any favours. I swear sometimes this fandom just thrives on drama and if they don't have it, they'll create it damnit.

I can deal with lower than hoped for numbers. I can't deal with the fandom's angst over them. Speaking for myself only - I just can't do it every day. Sighhhhh. This is not a directive or even a suggestion to anybody how to post, or worse, how to feel - just my own feeling.

There is SO much to enjoy.

CG, I can play "dueling quotes" with you...

"Always look on the bright side of life...."

I understand your feelings -- truly I do. But at the same time, I'm keeping my hopes up, and have all kinds of faith in Clay and his team. That's all I can do, really. A half-empty glass is also a half-full glass.

*wanders away whistling*

The not supporting of the first single will doom the first single - Since when has that helped an album? When did they buy other artists based on what they suggest for Clay and why, tell me why, are that still fans who think Clay is a Rock Star!? I prefer him as Clay, a real star.

Stop me from buying more annuals! I am going broke, definitely spending more that I did on Clay this month!! But, I have two gardens to maintain - beach and home.

Broken record from me. No artist sells millions album after album after album. It just doesn't happen. That's why such a big deal was made of all of his albums debuting in the top 5 when ATDW came out. Looks like, with the QVC numbers added in, he's certain to make the top 5 again. That's good enough for me. I'd link to the Kylie Minogue article again with the huge build-up and the 6,000 in first week sales, but it's too much trouble to find the link again. I think this album is definitely a success!! Already!! Right now!!

The not supporting of the first single will doom the first single - Since when has that helped an album? When did they buy other artists based on what they suggest for Clay and why, tell me why, are that still fans who think Clay is a Rock Star!? I prefer him as Clay, a real star.

Stop me from buying more annuals! I am going broke, definitely spending more that I did on Clay this month!! But, I have two gardens to maintain - beach and home.

One word...perennials. I only buy annuals when I need to fill in spots, otherwise, its perennials all the way.

Kim

Broken record from me. No artist sells millions album after album after album. It just doesn't happen. That's why such a big deal was made of all of his albums debuting in the top 5 when ATDW came out. Looks like, with the QVC numbers added in, he's certain to make the top 5 again. That's good enough for me. I'd link to the Kylie Minogue article again with the huge build-up and the 6,000 in first week sales, but it's too much trouble to find the link again. I think this album is definitely a success!! Already!! Right now!!

Except according to some it is the top 5 with 200,000 plus sales, so even if OMWH is in the top 5, it doesn't matter...I love how people can take any kind of positive and turn it into a negative. Top 5 is top 5!

Kim

hey y'all!! HAPPY MOTHERS DAY (a little late) to all you Mothers out there!!

I just got here, and am not caught up at all, so don't know the topic du joir.

We went to my sister's yesterday and partied with about 25 extended family members including some of my in-laws! MIL and SonsIL's parents.

There were terrific rainstorms in the area and we had to take a couple of detours to get home because of flooding. Then just as me and my daughter were about to settle down for a long spring's nap, the power went out!! That was about 2 am, and it just came back less than an hour ago.

Our basement flooded, as it kept raining all day, and with no electricity, the water couldn't be pumped out. I guess it was time to get rid of some of those video tapes anyway!!

And I am now on dial-up because Comcast hasn't gotten their act together apparently, or I have to call them for a reset, or something.... and as you well know, dial-up sux big monkey balls!

I'm just really happy to be back online after a whole day and a half! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Play - thanks for the poster - that sure was fast!!! :D

pets all the sad people...

What can I say, I like ballads. Always have. Thinks he sings them better than just about anybody.

The numbers of 2003? Those are gone. Probably forever. #1 Album of 2007 - 3.6M. #1 Album of 2003 - 12M. People are simply not buying CDs. Period. For anybody. Just like $2/gal gas.

Clay has a perfectly lovely career. Really, he does. I will simply play the hell out of this CD - and look forward to the next one too, and keep enjoying the previous ones. Hell, weep for Madonna, her last CD sold 2 million in its first week in Europe, over 300K over here. She only managed to eke out 280K for this one.

It's not like he's, say, Taylor Hicks, now is he? Or who was that idiot who talked smack about Clay back in '03 - JC something or other. Or Constantine. Or Tattoo Girl, that got kicked off AI, struggling for a second chance. He's not doing as well as 50 Cent, but 50 Cent is a long way from doing as well as he used to.

I am just incapable of stressing over a dude who by 29, is doing better than probably 99.99995788% of his peers (yes, I made up the percentage, but it looks nice, don't it?)

I'm pretty certain if releasing ATDW, a album of covers for his sophomore CD, didn't stop Clay, then landing anywhere in the top 5 on the Billboards for his next recording won't hurt him either. Besides, I think this little guy (no, not Clay. I know better. I'm talking about the CD) will have legs. I gifted my co-worker OMWH last Tuesday. Today she came up to me and said, "OMG. #11. It took my breath away!" It took me a minute to understand what she was talking about. Unlike most of us who played the CD right away, (or prior in some cases :P) my co-worker just started listening to it...and she loves it!

Clay will have his face here and there for the next couple weeks doing promo. He'll be on Leno tonight and Kimmel next week. I believe people will start talking about this CD, you know...just like my co-worker. I think the buzz will build. Though I would have loved to see #1 sales and huge numbers, at this moment, I am content.

Clay's absence definitely noticed

Howard heats up Broadway's 'Roof'

Actor's return bumps box office sales

On the other hand, the departure of American Idol alum Clay Aiken from "Monty Python's Spamalot" ($519,454) caused sales for the tuner to plummet by more than $300,000, the steepest slide of the sesh.

Rialto cume fell around $400,000 to about $18.8 million for 36 shows reporting, or $19.6 million including sales estimates of $883,000 for "Young Frankenstein."

Benefiting from its recent strong reviews, "Boeing-Boeing" ($327,771) boinged up more than $100,000, as did the revival of "Gypsy" ($854,278).

Among the season's new tuners, "In the Heights" ($526,333) got a little higher, as did "Cry-Baby" ($266,232) and "Passing Strange" ($205,943).

Meanwhile, "Mary Poppins" ($765,618), "The Phantom of the Opera" ($761,251) and "Legally Blonde" ($463,246) were among the shows to experience downturns.

Variety

Crap! Crafted an eloquent post and then promptly lost it when I tried to sneak in some actual work...

Anyway, I just wanted to say that Clay was right when he said that since MOAM was such a freakin' anomaly in sales (over 600,000 the first week for a debut cd?), everything else is going to pale in comparison. I remain happy about this album. After the first day of reporting, he's in company with Madonna, Neil Diamond, Mariah Carey in the top ten, with four others being country singers (and 2 of those are "best of" cds with 30+ songs on them!).

Then there's Clay, Leona and Josh...I'm not worried about Leona--she ain't no competitor of Clay's---and Josh and Clay are so different that I've never really gotten into the rivalry vibe for them.

LW TW artist / album label power index

-- 1 NEIL DIAMOND COLUMBIA 61,852

-- 2 TOBY KEITH SHOW DOG/UNIVERSAL NASH 53,870

3 3 LEONA LEWIS J RECORDS/RMG 42,051

1 4 MADONNA WARNER BROS. 41,887

-- 5 CLAY AIKEN RCA/RMG 37,886

2 6 MARIAH CAREY ISLAND/IDJMG 28,882

-- 7 GAVIN DEGRAW J RECORDS/RMG 27,301

-- 8 JOSH GROBAN REPRISE 26,254

-- 9 DIERKS BENTLEY CAPITOL NASHVILLE 23,681

18 10 GEORGE STRAIT MCA NASHVILLE 19,609

And look at the difference in the top five:

between first place and fifth, there are less than 24,000 copies difference, and only four thousand separating Clay(5) from Madonna's (4) sales, but nine thousand between him and Mariah (6).

I just can't get angsty about this. (yet) It's just too early to KNOW what's going on.

And re: him singing something different on Leno? PUH leeze. What does the man have to SAY before people will BELIEVE him? OMWH is the lead single for this particular cd. For whatever reasons and to whatever end, that's the way it is. He sings it awfully purdy and it's got the 'coolest' possible connection of them all (Ryan Tedder), although I don't believe that's all it's hyped to be. Ryan's not on my cool radar.

So I'm gonna go home smiling 'coss Clay Aiken---that favorite fodder for slams and disses and denigrations from the 'cool masses' out there?---he's number 5 today, baybee! :clap:

Heh, I also bought a lot of perennials, as I am starting a new garden about 50 feet long on the rear side of my property. It is an azalea fence. I bought 6 of them and had 2 planted last year and 2 more to plant this year and it will be done.

I do annuals in the small spots between the perennials and allong the narrow way by the driveway. Next year, I am thinkng of doing a rhodedendrum fence along the back of the backyard. It IS cheaper than installing over 400 feet of fencing and you can weave an inexpensive wire fence between the shrubs to hold the dog in the yard and I only need a small fenced in area in the front of the back yard. There is madness in my method.

Interesting note from Variety, I know people have been wondering.

Variety

......On the other hand, the departure of American Idol alum Clay Aiken from "Monty Python's Spamalot" ($519,454) caused sales for the tuner to plummet by more than $300,000, the steepest slide of the sesh.....

Most of the rest of Broadway is on the uptick, just a few went down and none so much!

the house was 67% sold.