#32: Man with titanium balls and the voice to back them up!

Ansamcw

What should the next thread title be at FCA?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What should the next thread title be at FCA?

• Where he thinks he belongs, and it's not in any lane, it's all over the damned highway.
    • "Clay Aiken: #1 Bad Ass"
    • Large and in Charge...
    • Let's all chant "I think it can! I think it can! I think it can!"
    • He is too good, too magical...
    • I have seen the light and the light is named Clay!

Oh, believe me! NO super-sekrit info here!! I'm just referring to the oft-repeated info from years back re girlfriends from the time he was in junior high; in fact, if you re-read LTS, you'll remember he refers to them often. He doesn't specify that they were girlfriends ( I think it's just him not kissing-and-telling); but I understand there is no doubt that they were girlfriends in the way we normally think of.

I remember someone (no idea whom) years back who coughed up the information that he had a pretty great rep as a french-kisser! :cryingwlaughter:

ETA: to clarify...one of the Triumvirate, I think....

I think at the time, the term was soul-kiss. Which at the time gave me all kinds of vision-darkening, light-headed imaginings, let me tell you.

Oh, believe me! NO super-sekrit info here!! I'm just referring to the oft-repeated info from years back re girlfriends from the time he was in junior high; in fact, if you re-read LTS, you'll remember he refers to them often. He doesn't specify that they were girlfriends ( I think it's just him not kissing-and-telling); but I understand there is no doubt that they were girlfriends in the way we normally think of.

I remember someone (no idea whom) years back who coughed up the information that he had a pretty great rep as a french-kisser! :cryingwlaughter:

I think at the time, the term was soul-kiss. Which at the time gave me all kinds of vision-darkening, light-headed imaginings, let me tell you.

Exactly!!....and me too! GAAAHHH :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Heidi...I think touring helps awareness of the artist and his CD if there is nothing else to promote it. As I mentioned earlier you probably will have local promo like radio station contests, interviews, ads in the local papers and local station. I think ATDW is not a good example because you also had a problem with availability of the the CD but I do think that touring does no hurt in anyway that is why they often say that an artist is touring in support of a cd...

Of course it doesn’t *hurt* - I don’t think I implied in any way that it did. What I was responding to was the idea that a tour would generate a lot of CD sales and said that *by itself* that was not, IMO, true. I did agree that if there was RADIO promotion tied to it it might be a different story. My point was that MOST people do not go in cold to a concert and become fans. Most people at concerts of that cost are already fans to some degree.

Yeah, I think normally tours are in support of an artist's latest or upcoming CD. The poblem with Clay having the same 3000 people showing up, IMO, is due to no radio play, and perhaps people not liking what he has put out before.

Exactly my point – lack of radio play. Few artists can do tours “in support of his CD” in a vacuum. See above.

I also do agree that his team is supporting this CD. Mainly because Clay very clearly said that they were, and I tend to believe him while still being careful to recognize possible jokes. <g> If OMWH doesn’t get radio play, it will be because of RADIO, not RCA, IMO.

Heh - my mother has discovered the joy of green apple martinis!

Is alcohol involved? Or is that the martini you have when you aren't having a martini??

Heh. Trust ME when I say there is alcohol involved. Two of those would put me in serious condition. Just ask the eHp who saw me drink ONE drink with hard liquor (and a very pretty glass!!). <g>

God, I miss Spamalot too. I still that that was the best decision he ever made (up to this point).

Is anyone else watching Survivor?? Best season ever, I'm thinking. <g>

ETA:

Honey, boys who look and act like Clay are ALWAYS great french (soul) kissers. <g> I think it has a lot to do with NOT being the jock and having the feeling they have to work harder. That's why I've always liked boys like Clay. YUMMMMMM.

Oh my. Now I think I need a moment.....

The Trinity??

God, I miss Spamalot too. I still that that was the best decision he ever made (up to this point).

Me too. Did it really just end last week at this time? I miss reading the reports as they would come in about the little things he changed up & seeing the stagedoor pics. Now he's probably like, "HA HA! They don't know where I am from one minute to the next!" :cryingwlaughter:

Tomorrow is Monday. Again. :cry4:

I noticed no Clay in the flyers today. I hope the prices haven't gone up because I planned on getting some for friends.

In a Best Buy today, there were plenty of OMWH in the New Releases section, just as there were of all the other artists' cds. However, I noticed that the "Clay Aiken" section in the alphabetical rack for "Rock/Pop" was entirely empty...so I sorta had to put a couple of the OMWH in that spot... :imgtongue: And the price HAD gone up from $9.97 to 13.99 overnight!

Happy Mother's Day to all FCA Moms! :F_05BL17blowkiss: Tradition at Casa Muski is that on Mother's Day, Mom just disappears for the day! Heh...so I got up to find a card and a new People magazine from the kids; and a latte and some flowers from hubby. (Hubby told me that older daughter got up this morning and immediately wanted him to take her to pick up all those things for me. :wub:)Then I took myself to a movie---Forgetting Sarah Marshall---which was a holler and a hoot! I really laughed a lot and it was fuuuuunn!

I used hubby's car to drive myself, though, because it has a seriously terrific sound system in it...fixed the equalizer, rolled up the windows for the freeway ride and JAMMED! Dayum, he sounds good. :hubbahubba:

Today my faves are EIDN, Sacrificial Love and FIEKY. Tune in tomorrow for a different list. :cryingwlaughter:

Don't care when Clay tours. I'll be there.

Help! Somehow I missed out on the Sir Robin pins! :cry4: Anybody have an extra they'd be willing to sell? :lilredani:

YeaY! Hubby just told me he's making a Waldorf Salad for me (I LOVE that stuff!)... :wub:

Gah. Clay french kissing? You kiddin' me? I could tell from the start that his mouth should be registered as a lethal weapon...gah.

Help! Somehow I missed out on the Sir Robin pins! :cry4: Anybody have an extra they'd be willing to sell? :lilredani:

I have an extra one that you can HAVE!

I was really missing Spamalot tonight. One week ago he was waving to us from the roof of the theater. It all seems so long ago. But I still miss it.

I actually didn't listen to OMWH today, but it was playing in my head all day. I really love that CD!

Damn, I hate that I have to go to work tomorrow......

Happy Mother's Day. I don't know how ya'll do it and stay sane.
Who says we stay sane?

Not I!

But I'm stealing this . . .

Happy Mother's Day.

Hope everyone had a great day.

Leading up to MD is always hard for me. I catch myself getting teary - and jealous - when I see the "The perfect gift to give your Mom . . ." ads. Mama died in '94 and it still gets to me.

Today was a good day, though. The crappy ( I mean really crappy! DOWNPOURS!) weather moved out and it turned out to be a lovely afternoon. Went to Wilmington with DH and we picked up DS. Walked around downtown, looking in the shops, went out to eat at Elijah's on the waterfront. Crabcake! Yum. Then went for ice cream. Said to hell with my low fat (I'm taking Crestor for High Cholesterol! poo) diet today and just enjoyed myself. Sun shining. Walking with DH and DS and they're not complaining about how long I browse. hee

Verra niiice!

I can't believe people can so easily put together their top 20 professionally recorded songs of Clay's! I haven't yet picked my favorites off OMWH!!

Shit!

No way could I do this.

And yeah - seems like WORK! :imgtongue:

I just wanna listen!

Just wanted to say thanks again for the listening party. Loved it!

Couchie? How'd Mama do today?

Was dinner okay? Did y'all have a good day?

About Youtube, I can't remember Clay ever saying it wasn't a good promotional tool.

But I DO remember Clay not wanting anything embarrassing on Youtube. I have to admit that in our quest to get everything Clay does out there we often don't use judgement when posting things on Youtube. He was very concerned about having video from two different falls during the DCA tour out there for "public" consumption. He actually requested that not happen. Am sure he wasn't pleased when the "missed note" from the JNT was put up either.

It is one thing to post these things in private vaults among fans; but, once posted, they are vulnerable to the actions of others who might or might not have his best interests at heart.

This fandom is a double edged sword for him, and so is Youtube.

Oh god, I just surfed a couple of other boards (first time in quite a while) and saw my beloved EIDN referred to as "the Clive song". *bleaches eyes*

WTF is wrong with people? I think I'm going to print Clay's blog out and tape it up beside my computer so I can read it whenever I need a fix.

Good Morning Everyone,

I guess I would be considered one of the "normal" fans; the only thing I do to support Clay is buy his CD's and go to concerts. I don't listen to radio so I don't see the point in calling a station and requesting Clay If I am not going to listen. I am reading posts from people who are going to the store everyday to buy more CD's or are downloading more copies of OMWH and I guess I really don't understand the logic here...it seems life artifically inflating his numbers and if there are limited CD's in the stores how are new fans going to hear the CD if we are buying them all up? For me, I bought the CD's I wanted...we can't do everything.

Leno Tonight!

1 Day until Clay debuts on AOL Sessions!

4 Days until The Climmel/Rachael Ray!

7 Days until Craig Ferguson!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

The Tonight Show schedule is showing Jack Black and Clay as the guests for this evening. It looks like there are usually two guests scheduled plus the musical act, so that should mean that Clay will get some decent couch time. Jack Black is very funny, so I hope Jack and Clay get a chance to interact. Clay always has great stories ready for Jay, so I can't wait!

:manynanas::manynanas:

Tomorrow is Monday. Again. :cry4:

But it's also the night when Clay will be on Jay Leno. YAY!!!!!

*always look on the bright side of life* :cryingwlaughter:

True! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Now as long as there are no Bird Ladies we should get lots of Clay time!

I bought the cds that offered different things - Walmart, Kmart, iTunes - and one from each (amazon .ca and .com) just because I can (and I like those for my un-opened stash since they don't have price stickers all over them). I know that there are a few people who will go and buy up whatever they can, and I'm not really sure of the reasoning or psychology behind that. Not all that sure I want to either. I think though, that it really isn't a huge number of people doing that - just the sames ones, over and over.

So I had a Clay dream last night - a rarity for me. I never remember things beyond the first couple of minutes after I wake up so the details are gone, but two things remain in my brain. He showed me his belly-button (a lovely innie) and I heard him on the radio (and it was Ashesyow.gif - please don't hurt me). That's all I got.

Oh god, I just surfed a couple of other boards (first time in quite a while) and saw my beloved EIDN referred to as "the Clive song". *bleaches eyes*

WTF is wrong with people? I think I'm going to print Clay's blog out and tape it up beside my computer so I can read it whenever I need a fix.

Huh??? How is it the Clive song? Do they think the person he wants "out of his bed" is Clive??? **shudders**

Unreal.

Good Morning Everyone,

I guess I would be considered one of the "normal" fans; the only thing I do to support Clay is buy his CD's and go to concerts. I don't listen to radio so I don't see the point in calling a station and requesting Clay If I am not going to listen. I am reading posts from people who are going to the store everyday to buy more CD's or are downloading more copies of OMWH and I guess I really don't understand the logic here...it seems life artifically inflating his numbers and if there are limited CD's in the stores how are new fans going to hear the CD if we are buying them all up? For me, I bought the CD's I wanted...we can't do everything.

Kim, I am you. I might email a radio station once OMWH ws on their playlist even if I don't listen because I think radio play is important, but go out and buy a CD a day??? I have often thought Clay's sales figures were artificially inflated. It doesn't do him any favors. I shudder to think how bad his sales figures would be without the multiple buying that has become the norm in this fandom. And what if this buying frenzy did get him over 100K the first week. What happens if his weeks 2 sales go down to say 30K? You don't think that will look bad?

I noticed last night he had dropped to #25 on the iTunes albums. He was #11 Friday. That's a free fall! I know its only iTunes, but this fandom alone cannot keep his sales going. That is why even though I don't listen I would probably email a radio station, but only if OMWH had been added to their playlist and maybe only once a week max. I think Clay saying once a day was a mistake - unless the station had a daily request hour or something. The last thing radio stations need is getting barraged by request from Clay's crazy fans!

I am concerned about his sales and how t o keep this CD in the public eye without Clay appearing on TV someplace a couple times a week.. That is why radio could be so important. Look at Kelly. Her last CD kind of came and went, but she is still all over the radio so no one is wondering what happened to her. Clay doesn't have that radio presence so if his album doesn't sell well and kind of disappears off the scene, what will remind people of Clay?

"We" can't do it alone and it is not our job to market this CD (no matter what some in this fandom think). I guess we just have to faith in TC and hope hey have a master plan and that they, along with Clay, just don't finish up this 2-week round of promotion and then go sit in their backyards all summer.

Jimmy Kimmel is on GMA! Must be weird for him to be up this early - in the eastern time zone no less!

I unintentionally got Clay's CD some free advertising yesterday..... I had the WalMart version in the car on Saturday. When we got home from shopping Sat. night, I took the CD and tucked it in my purse so I wouldn't drop it, getting across the driveway & upstairs. Well, I forgot to take it out of my purse. Yesterday I ran up to Staples to get ink for my printer & thought it was odd when the security alarm went off as I entered the store. *Boggled* Got a few items, purchased them, started to leave when the alarm went off again. As I walked back to the counter, I opened my purse and there was Clay! We figured the CD must still have the magnetic security tag activated. This proved true when the same thing happened 10 minutes later at Bed, Bath & Beyond! :blush::cryingwlaughter:

ETA: His belly button, Cindilu?? He showed you his belly button?? :lmaosmiley-1:

**Sigh** I hate living in such an anti-Clay city. Philadelphia has NEVER liked Clay. Here is the Philadelphia Inquirer's review of OMWH (and they hated SAU! :cry4: )

Clay Aiken

On My Way Here

(RCA **)

Not much has changed with this bathetic balladeer's fourth release. (For those of you without a TV set, Aiken was the popular runner-up on the second season of American Idol.) He's wielding his lithe tenor with more emotionality, but he's still hopelessly addicted to would-be inspirational anthems.

Surprisingly, Aiken does his best job vocally on the bluesy "Everything I Don't Need." His worst vocal? Easy. His weak Johnny Mathis imitation on "Something About Us."

Most of the selections here are expertly crafted tunes. But perhaps because Aiken had no hand in writing them, they tend to sound off-the-rack rather than custom tailored, even the nostalgic title track, co-written by One Republic's Ryan Tedder, which has a country flavor. In the end, nothing jumps out of this maudlin pack.

- David Hiltbrand

This one unlike some of the others we've read say the songs are expertly crafted but that Clay can't deliver them well because - of course - he didn't write them!

Of course, they don't mention LAA........

Clay will NEVER get played on the radio here. Never.

**Sigh** I hate living in such an anti-Clay city. Philadelphia has NEVER liked Clay. Here is the Philadelphia Inquirer's review of OMWH (and they hated SAU! :cry4: )

This one unlike some of the others we've read say the songs are expertly crafted but that Clay can't deliver them well because - of course - he didn't write them!

Of course, they don't mention LAA........

Clay will NEVER get played on the radio here. Never.

I know it sucks to feel like he doesn't even get a chance.... But weak? Clay Aiken - weak of voice? Heh. Heheheh. Bwahahahahahha. That makes the whole review easy to ignore.

And On My Way Here is country flavoured? All righty then!

Well, frankly, there are other people to compare Clay to than Kelly. If I recall correctly, lots of churn on the iTunes charts is normal. Especially the daily charts. And every week there are new "must have" releases. As for Kelly, I think the reason no one is wondering what happened to her is that no one cares what happened to her. Unless something dramatically changes, Breakaway is going to be her big, once in a lifetime CD. Hell, Breakaway right now is still outselling My December - but no one cares. Sales (and even downloads) across the board are not-really-amazingly weak.

Kelly sold 2,000 copies of Breakaway, down from 2,100, for a total of 5.99 million. My December sold 800, same as last week, for a total of 764,000.

Well, frankly, there are other people to compare Clay to than Kelly. If I recall correctly, lots of churn on the iTunes charts is normal. Especially the daily charts. And every week there are new "must have" releases. As for Kelly, I think the reason no one is wondering what happened to her is that no one cares what happened to her. Unless something dramatically changes, Breakaway is going to be her big, once in a lifetime CD. Hell, Breakaway right now is still outselling My December - but no one cares. Sales (and even downloads) across the board are not-really-amazingly weak.

Kelly sold 2,000 copies of Breakaway, down from 2,100, for a total of 5.99 million. My December sold 800, same as last week, for a total of 764,000.

Yeah, and I can imagine that a few of her "crazy" fans bought multiples too.

That review just made me roll my eyes. I don't let them phase me anymore, but I know how frustrating it can be if they are home town reviews. (Remembers the horrible things I read after the Toronto JBT, and how angry they made me feel).

Huh??? How is it the Clive song? Do they think the person he wants "out of his bed" is Clive??? **shudders**

Unreal.

Hee, because that is obviously who he is referring to when he sings "last of a dying breed"! :cryingwlaughter:

D101 Silly me, for not picking up on that! *rolls eyes* Scary to think that the pod people are still with us.....

I just can't jump on the angst band wagon over OMWH and it's sales figures or whether or not it will be played on radio. I also don't believe that there are enough people buying multiples to artificially inflate the numbers much. I bought one of each of the special versions like iTunes, Walmart, KMart, QVC (still haven't got the physical ones yet!) and I bought one each for my daughter and I from amazon.com (still haven't got them yet either!). I couldn't resist going out the morning of the 6th and buying a couple at the local store, just so we could hold them in our hands and rip the plastic off and read the liner notes. One is in my car, the other I have gifted to a fan who is not on the boards and had no idea he had a new CD out. However, I've heard about fans buying copies to send overseas to the troops....I don't have a problem with that, either.

As for radio, we got a nifty print out at the Toronto CD release party the other day, of all AC or Hot AC stations in Ontario, with instructions to only call and request OMWH once a day, etc, based on Clay's blog. I thought that was cool. Unfortunately, the only local station I have to call doesn't really like to take requests. I've been down that road with them before. They do play Clay, but only at Christmas. The few times I've called them in the past, I've been told that they won't or can't play a new song until it's a hit elsewhere. So I think it's pointless to call them right now, it'd just get their back up. We have a Christian station in town that is more receptive to playing Clay's music (they played most of the tracks from ATDW after we provided them with a copy) so I may investigate that option at some point in the future again.

"We" can't do it alone and it is not our job to market this CD (no matter what some in this fandom think). I guess we just have to faith in TC and hope hey have a master plan and that they, along with Clay, just don't finish up this 2-week round of promotion and then go sit in their backyards all summer.

WORD. I have total faith in TC (which includes Clay in my mind). They know what they are doing.

it's starting...

HDD with 28.6%

LW TW artist / album label power index

-- 1 TOBY KEITH SHOW DOG/UNIVERSAL NASH 33,390

35 BIGGEST HITS

-- 2 NEIL DIAMOND COLUMBIA 28,585

HOME BEFORE DARK

2 3 MARIAH CAREY ISLAND/IDJMG 28,199

E=MC2

3 4 LEONA LEWIS J RECORDS/RMG 24,516

SPIRIT

-- 5 CLAY AIKEN RCA/RMG 19,659