#32: Man with titanium balls and the voice to back them up!

Ansamcw

What should the next thread title be at FCA?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What should the next thread title be at FCA?

• Where he thinks he belongs, and it's not in any lane, it's all over the damned highway.
    • "Clay Aiken: #1 Bad Ass"
    • Large and in Charge...
    • Let's all chant "I think it can! I think it can! I think it can!"
    • He is too good, too magical...
    • I have seen the light and the light is named Clay!

about the playist challenge...I don't think we should consider the demo's as part of that cos they were not really produced for him. I guess the idea is...if we get a best of compilation from Clay...what should be in it.

KAndre...thanks for the major list...proud of Your Boy and First Noel should definitely be part of that list.

I don't think I"m much for organized street teams....but I do think Clay's fans have been his downfall in some ways. I remember when MOAM came out and the constant barrage of phone calls and requests to radio stations. A post would go up about a certain station and people all over the nation would call in - over and over, and then argue with whomever answered the phone as to why they should play Clay if they weren't planning to. I think that was total embarassment for Clay and led to some of the OTT opinions of Claymates. I believe he addressed that in the blog. He walks a fine line there, however, and has to be careful how he words his displeasure so as not to shut down the support or so people won't feel he's ungrateful. I thought he did a masterful job with that blog1

And quite frankly I'm pretty tired of the references to Claymates as if all of us WERE post-menopausal, drooling, Depends-clad sheep. The bottom line is Clay has a dedicated and loyal fanbase of all ages, people with discretionary funds to support his causes, people who go to multiple concerts, fly all over the country, etc. I honestly cannot fathom any entertainer not being pleased with that kind of support. But these damn reviewers act like we're the frontal assault of the plague!

I've run the gamut of emotions this week - which is not like me. I've gone from being happy with the CD because I love it - to wishing the songs were more to the liking of the critics (got out of THAT mood quickly) to being happy for Clay because he made the CD he wanted to and then being worried for him because of the nastiness of some of the reviews. I've defended his heterosexuality to a neighbor, my son (AGAIN!) and then decided it wasn't my place to defend anything. I always go back to "listen to Clay!" He says what he's feeling. He tells us what we want to know - maybe not enough of what we want to know - but eventually he gets his point across.

I just want to be a fan! I don't want the fandom to be work or to feel a responsibility to be a fan. I'll buy multiple CDs, give them as gifts, go to the concerts I can financially afford, watch every TV show he's on and just keep hoping that he doesn't get disgusted with his career and walk away from it.

quoting not working again today, sigh,

Disengage if that is what you want to do. Some people want to do normal fan things. What I listed was normal fan things. They are not happy if not invovled. It is not a job, but it is also no big deal to move a song to your myspace. I don't see why this should be seen as doing something unusual. There is no street teatm, but they do do these things normally. Street teams do not critique the artist and tell him how to promote.

We are not a street team, jsut some individuals and some have indicated an interest in helping the song along. I just listed some ways of doing it.

Here is a thread of radio stations that are streaming Clay. If you want to go to your local station and stream fine, if not , don't do it. Not something to get into a tizzy about. I have some spare time, maybe others don't. I would like to hear it on my new local AC station, so I signed up. I do listen to this station, it would be nice to hear Clay. End of my motivation explanation. (that sounded like something from sesame street??? Must be muppets on my mind)

Off to the cemetary, to plant cosmos or not? I have msuic to accompany me while I determine what I want to do.

Playbiller - I didn't mean I didn't want to do anything! I don't have a MySpace and I don't know how to make YouTubes. I do what I can because I DO want to help. But I'll do it as an invidividual, which is what I believe you were suggesting. I don't think our feelings on this are that different.

eta: I'm off for 3 days. Playing in a golf tournament in Carson. Hope everyone has had a nice Mother's Day. Hope the sales are good. See you all when I get back.

I've run the gamut of emotions this week - which is not like me. I've gone from being happy with the CD because I love it - to wishing the songs were more to the liking of the critics (got out of THAT mood quickly) to being happy for Clay because he made the CD he wanted to and then being worried for him because of the nastiness of some of the reviews. I've defended his heterosexuality to a neighbor, my son (AGAIN!) and then decided it wasn't my place to defend anything. I always go back to "listen to Clay!" He says what he's feeling. He tells us what we want to know - maybe not enough of what we want to know - but eventually he gets his point across.

I just want to be a fan! I don't want the fandom to be work or to feel a responsibility to be a fan. I'll buy multiple CDs, give them as gifts, go to the concerts I can financially afford, watch every TV show he's on and just keep hoping that he doesn't get disgusted with his career and walk away from it.

I think that is what I feel at times...just burn out from all the high emotions. I left my original home board because it seemed like everything was getting dramatized...it became really tiring to be a fan in the end. Right now I am glad that we have a board that can discuss the issues but don;t go on hysterics about things.

I think I'm starting to get it. I think they want him to sing about sex, not love but sex, and because the lyrics he sings doesn't spell it out in an in your face, I want to screw anying that isn't nailed down sort of way, it's not edgy or cool, and only the Claymates could like it because they're all beyond that in their post menopausal state. :cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter:

That's exactly it.

I e-mailed my friend the template for a typical top 40 hit:

We're going to (euphemism for having sex) now

Bumptedy bump bump bump

Bumptedy bump bump bump

Bumptedy bump bump bump

We're (euphemism for having sex) now.

Bumptedy bump bump bump

Bumptedy bump bump bump

Bumptedy bump bump bump

We're going to (euphemism for having sex) again now.

Bumptedy bump bump bump

Bumptedy bump bump bump

Bumptedy bump bump bump

For variety, it could be:

I like (euphemism for having sex) with you now

You're hot when we (euphemism for having sex)

Babe, I wish we were (euphemism for having sex)

I can't wait until we (euphemism for having sex) again

and so forth

Edgy is when the euphemism is particularly creative, or describes a non-traditional sex act (such as London Bridge).

I am SO not worried about OMWH – I just can’t be, really, it’s too damn good. The only “high emotion” I have right now is JOY over what a great CD it is. It will all be fine – I think it should be relatively obvious by now that Clay is with us to stay as long as he wants. I think he’s out of the “one hit wonder” zone and will be a career artist. I think RCA is doing fine, as is his management team – I’ll take him at his word on that as well. That said, I did have some comments on the recent discussions. Of course. <g>

I am not that pessimistic about radio. It does have a chance because I don't think there really is anything personal against Clay with the PDs. I think if the song starts to resonate with the listeners and they get good feedback, they will play him more. I think this fandom has learned its lesson when it comes to radio. What we have to hope for is that OMWH does connect with the audience.

I think the jury is VERY out in terms of radio, for a variety of reasons. We’re relying on a group of people that have largely proved to be idiots in the past, to suddenly improve and mature. Even if they aren’t idiots, they (and other media/critics) are unlikely to change their perceptions without a great deal of work. I don’t think we’ll know until we know. I do think it has nothing to do with the actual CD, with the actual man, or with RCA, but with silly humans who run radio stations.

Well I really can't imagine Clay putting so much of himself in to this CD and then not touring it until next year. That just doesn't make sense to me. Especially when he knows that radio play is a huge challenge for him. He has to air it out somewhere and he knows people do come to his concerts.

I will never buy touring as a huge way to sell CDs (at least, for Clay - I'm sure there's an exception out there somewhere). That doesn’t make sense to me. It didn’t help ATDW, for sure. By a huge margin, people go to his concerts who are already fans to some extent. The only exception to that, IMO, is a Christmas tour. But a pop tour? I just don’t think most people are going to spend $60 to $100 bucks (for each person who goes) if they aren’t already a fan who either has the CD or has heard him on the radio/TV multiple times. And now? You said it yourself (at least I’m pretty sure that was you) – the economy is in the toilet. People aren’t even buying CDs in large numbers. Unfortunately, I think other mediums, particularly radio and TV, are tied to CD sales much more than tours. Yeah, you have people who get TONS of radio play but low sales – but these same people are probably touring clubs for a much lower cost. You also have artists like Clay who get little radio play, yet sell well – but his concert ticket sales are not growing and may be in a decline.

One reason he may wait to tour is to try and get this album legs so t he same 3000 people aren't the only ones showing up at his concerts!

YES!! Now this makes sense. I’m not saying he won’t tour at the end of the year, just that it’s not a big way to grow album sales. If he waits and hopes the CD gets play and has legs, he might play bigger venues. Although, that’s not necessarily a good thing. For us. <g>

I think sometimes we take Clay too literally. He is the master of the throw-away line! If he sits in his backyard until next year.....you can damnguarantee this CD won't even make it to Gold status!!!!

And I think too often that all fans take what they want to hear literally, and dismiss what they don’t want to hear. Many of us complain about that All. The. Time. in regards to “other” boards. And yes, I say “all” fans, because I think everyone does it from time to time, me included.

ITA with Iseeme...this is his job, his business, he won't be content to sit around and watch this CD tank. He will be out promoting this again...unless of course he has another project coming up...but I doubt it. I think this will be his priority.

I don’t think anyone said he wouldn’t be out promoting it – we were talking *tour* right? Or have I missed something? I think he will be out promoting it, but I don’t think promoting it means touring, necessarily.

I don't think he has to tour this year... he could..but he could also tour next year. Does touring actually help album sales? I'd rather he keep promoting the album...talk to every damn radio station in the land if he has to. Win them over one at a time. I would love to see some more print stuff too.

Amen. Where is Allison Glock? <g> I think touring helps album sales if you’re playing clubs and selling the CD in the back while you’re on stage. That happens a lot here – but the total outlay for the evening is less than $30; that includes CD and concert, but not the beer. <g> People mentioned Dave Matthew and The Fray – were their tickets $60-100 each when they were doing this? They are NOW, for sure, but would this really work for Clay? I don’t think so, not to the degree that some may like.

Play will be happy to know that I went and did the whole helpful yes/no on the reviews on iTunes. <g>

Lodon bridge is not typical? do they use toy cars to simuylate traffic? Or perhaps there is a guy called Big Ben standing over them counting time?

Trust me when I say that you do not want to know. :cryingwlaughter: Three people are involved, I'll say that much.

Finally home and catching up! Hee, the lawn will have to wait, it's raining.

Yes, apparently spotlightlover was able to confirm that it is. PM me before you order. We're getting together a group order....luckiest, if you're planning on ordering, PM me too.

YES PLEASE! Will send PM to be sure you see this.....

You mean there is crap like that floating around about this album???? What was she saying??

As for Lucky hearing people still spouting crazy shit... what are ya gonna do. You did the right thing...don't listen and snicker later. Tell them they are fucking nuts and walk away. Good job Lucky.

Thanks. I'm surely not going to repeat anything I heard, what would be the good in that? The woman was off her rocker, 'nuff said.

Top 20 professionally recorded songs? I'm not even gonna try. I'd just end up cheating anyways, trying to somehow fit more than 20 into my list. :cryingwlaughter: Hell, I'd have to include all 14 from OMWH just for starters! I had lots of time this weekend to become intimately acquainted with both FIEKY and IIEOOS and they are both awesome. I can't wait to hear WINY (have ordered QVC but it has not arrived yet). If anyone has managed to rip an mp3 of it and is willing to share, PM me. ;)

Heidi...I think touring helps awareness of the artist and his CD if there is nothing else to promote it. As I mentioned earlier you probably will have local promo like radio station contests, interviews, ads in the local papers and local station. I think ATDW is not a good example because you also had a problem with availability of the the CD but I do think that touring does no hurt in anyway that is why they often say that an artist is touring in support of a cd...

I really don;t know when he will tour...just wouldn't be surprised if it happens sooner than later if he has no other projects in the last quarter of the year. If he decides on another christmas tour, then I thnk we probably will get the OMWH tour in 2009. But if not...then I think he would want to tour just to make money, even if it is to the same 3000.

EEEEEEEEEEEE! I just discovered that my Canadian cell phone provider has added an assortment of OMWH ringtones! Now how do I choose one? Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. This could get expensive. ;)

You mean there is crap like that floating around about this album???? What was she saying??

As for Lucky hearing people still spouting crazy shit... what are ya gonna do. You did the right thing...don't listen and snicker later. Tell them they are fucking nuts and walk away. Good job Lucky.

Thanks. I'm surely not going to repeat anything I heard, what would be the good in that? The woman was off her rocker, 'nuff said.

But is it safe to assume this is the same fan who thought he should stop wearing the long coat on the JNT tours because it looks like a dress??? :imgtongue:

I'm betting she got some texts with super-sekrit info. :cryingwlaughter:

I am SO not worried about OMWH – I just can’t be, really, it’s too damn good. The only “high emotion” I have right now is JOY over what a great CD it is. It will all be fine – I think it should be relatively obvious by now that Clay is with us to stay as long as he wants. I think he’s out of the “one hit wonder” zone and will be a career artist. I think RCA is doing fine, as is his management team – I’ll take him at his word on that as well.

Heheh, and if anybody really wonders about the magical powers of OMWH? I'm gonna word HeidiHo and just say you are me.

Yeah, I think normally tours are in support of an artist's latest or upcoming CD. The poblem with Clay having the same 3000 people showing up, IMO, is due to no radio play, and perhaps people not liking what he has put out before.

I can't imagine that Clay's label & team are not going to support this CD. Why on Earth would they professionally update all his sites? Like his page on Sony, his OFC, his own YouTube site, where we should let him put up what he wants to, instead of us. Also don't forget his MySpace and RCA's website has also been updated. Professional looking with great colors. Everyone who has ever joined his OFC is getting info via personal email, about his Mother's Day greeting, and links where you can go listen to his CD, and info on TV etc. At least I am and I haven't even rejoined it. They have never really done this, to this level before. So whatever has gone down between him and his label, to me, it seems to have been settled. I don't know if he will get radio play or not, but he has moved up two more spots to #40 and now has 11 stations playing him. Since when I posted info on it yesterday. It seems he is going faster this time than last. At least to me. Of course he could come down the charts as fast as he goes up. Ansamcw, Clay did say that YouTube is not a good way to promote him. I'm sorry I can't remember the context or where he said it. I seem to recall a fan mentioning to him about YouTube being a good place to support him and he said no, it isn't and said it very adamantly. Personally I think it was just his way of saying he wished the fans wouldn't put everything on there. Like all his songs where his voice had cracked etc. etc.

I hope Clay doesn't tour until next Summer. So, I'm pretty sure he will do one this Fall just to spite me. He's consistant like that. :cryingwlaughter:

Really, I would hope he waited until he had at least two successful singles on radio.

Annabear is it still raining where you are? I'm waiting to pay you for my K-Mart CD..... :whistling-1: Does it have the sexy pic I like the best on the cover ? His Wal-Mart one has the musicpass pic on the cover of the CD..I was hoping they all aren't that way.

jmh?, Your song template? Now that was funny right thar, I don't care who you are....... :cryingwlaughter:

Well, I'm going to call it a day....................I can't make a best 20 list. I'm like Claygasm. I can't even Pick past my best two on OMWH................ :imgtongue:

But is it safe to assume this is the same fan who thought he should stop wearing the long coat on the JNT tours because it looks like a dress??? :imgtongue:

I'm betting she got some texts with super-sekrit info. :cryingwlaughter:

Heh, nope, different nutbar, but you are bang on about the texts. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Annabear is it still raining where you are? I'm waiting to pay you for my K-Mart CD..... :whistling-1: Does it have the sexy pic I like the best on the cover ? His Wal-Mart one has the musicpass pic on the cover of the CD..I was hoping they all aren't that way.

Yes, it is still raining! But! I did get tubes for the posters finally today & they're nicely wrapped in plastic and safely packed, ready to take to the PO tomorrow. I'll let you know the final $ then. :)

There's no way I could even begin to put together a favorites list.... everytime someone mentions something I haven't heard in a while, I'd change my mind! The man is just too damn talented - thankfully for us!!

I'm going to go on record now to say that I hope "On My Way Here" will be Clay Aiken's "Breakaway" album, with hit after hit...enough to support a really great tour NEXT summer. In the meantime, he can do things which feed his soul and periodically make appearances that enhance his public image and build support for his songs. This is a good album, y'all. A really, really good album. I can't help but dream big where Clay is concerned. So, that's my official dream forecast. Feel free to disagree with me...just understand now that I can't hear you with these fancy new headphones. Your lips will be moving, and I'll just smile inanely back at you. :)

For a bit of CD stock anecdotal info, I went into Walmart this afternoon (not proud of it) and decided to swing by the CD section to check out the racks. As I believe I reported earlier, on Tuesday the contractor didn't come in to unpack New Releases until 3 p.m., which would have put a damper on first day sales at that store and the other Walmarts in this area. On Tuesday, the number of CDs for Clay was 24, and I bought only one. Today, when I checked the New Releases rack there were 5 CDs there -- but this was new stock because they were part of a batch of 26, up from the 24 delivered on Tuesday. Then I checked the alpha racks and there were three sections for Clay Aiken -- 1 with OMWH (3 or 4 copies left), a full section of 8 for ATDW, and a third full section of MOAM. Last time I was in Walmart there was one copy of ATDW and no MOAM. So they are stocking everything, which I think is excellent.

Regarding, Neil Diamond, there wasn't a copy of his new CD in New Releases or the alpha racks. I wonder if Neil Diamond fans are bitching that his label didn't ship enough. :whistling-1:

He is so freakin' CUTE, y'all!!!

From scrpkym at CV:

I finally got around to working on my last set of Spamalot Stage Door pics. Soooo sad! I MISS SIR ROBIN!!!!

I didn't get too many pics the last weekend, due to the crowds in Shubert Alley, but I managed to get one that I LOVE.....

293475303_GbPaQ-M.jpg

My entire Spamalot album is here.....Spamalot Stage Door pics

Well I stopped by our superTarget today and not a one Clay Aiken cd anywhere. Quite a few empty bins in New releases. We do have a fan board consisting of local members so that could explain part of it.

Then I went to the superWalmart and bought two OMWH cds for $13.88 each (they do have the bonus song and the really cute cover) as well as a really big jar of pickles, for my husband of course. They ordered 60 and after I bought my two they had ten left. Clay's bin under new releases was the only one with much activity, all the others were full. Even Walmart only has two rows of cds anymore.

# 2 son just stopped by with his very own homemade compilation as a Mother's Day gift. I can guarantee there will be a bit of Missy Elliot on it as he considers her a genius. Although he did say that this was a sentimental cd. He does download legally as he was caught and threatened once doing it illegally. I gave him an OMWH cd and said I wanted a report tomorrow or Tuesday night when we meet him for dinner. He drives an hour each way to work so it shouldn't be a problem for him to listen.

Just listened to the AOL Sessions interview. He did seem kind of subdued or something - not his usual cheery self and he looked SO young and skinny!!!! But I loved the answer he gave to the question about what did he think of women looking at him as a sex symbol! Bwaahaha. For those of you who haven't seen it recently, I'll paraphrase his answer: he doesn't understand it because women weren't falling all over him before Idol. (and they showed his audition picture!) And he doesn't think he should encourage it but if he gets a few dates out of it he'll be okay with it! Hah! If he said something like that now there would be a riot!

Indeed! But, despite what Clay said at that time~my understanding is there was NEVER~EVER a time after puberty :lol: when women weren't falling all over Clay.

Us women are pretty smart cookies. :imgtongue:

FromClaygary... (bolding mine) tell me more, please. I have never heard this. Pretty please!

Just listened to the AOL Sessions interview. He did seem kind of subdued or something - not his usual cheery self and he looked SO young and skinny!!!! But I loved the answer he gave to the question about what did he think of women looking at him as a sex symbol! Bwaahaha. For those of you who haven't seen it recently, I'll paraphrase his answer: he doesn't understand it because women weren't falling all over him before Idol. (and they showed his audition picture!) And he doesn't think he should encourage it but if he gets a few dates out of it he'll be okay with it! Hah! If he said something like that now there would be a riot!

Indeed! But, despite what Clay said at that time~my understanding is there was NEVER~EVER a time after puberty :lol: when women weren't falling all over Clay.

Us women are pretty smart cookies. :imgtongue:

FromClaygary... (bolding mine) tell me more, please. I have never heard this. Pretty please!

Oh, believe me! NO super-sekrit info here!! I'm just referring to the oft-repeated info from years back re girlfriends from the time he was in junior high; in fact, if you re-read LTS, you'll remember he refers to them often. He doesn't specify that they were girlfriends ( I think it's just him not kissing-and-telling); but I understand there is no doubt that they were girlfriends in the way we normally think of.

I remember someone (no idea whom) years back who coughed up the information that he had a pretty great rep as a french-kisser! :cryingwlaughter:

ETA: to clarify...one of the Triumvirate, I think....