#32: Man with titanium balls and the voice to back them up!

Ansamcw

What should the next thread title be at FCA?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What should the next thread title be at FCA?

• Where he thinks he belongs, and it's not in any lane, it's all over the damned highway.
    • "Clay Aiken: #1 Bad Ass"
    • Large and in Charge...
    • Let's all chant "I think it can! I think it can! I think it can!"
    • He is too good, too magical...
    • I have seen the light and the light is named Clay!

Just listened to the AOL Sessions interview. He did seem kind of subdued or something - not his usual cheery self and he looked SO young and skinny!!!! But I loved the answer he gave to the question about what did he think of women looking at him as a sex symbol! Bwaahaha. For those of you who haven't seen it recently, I'll paraphrase his answer: he doesn't understand it because women weren't falling all over him before Idol. (and they showed his audition picture!) And he doesn't think he should encourage it but if he gets a few dates out of it he'll be okay with it! Hah! If he said something like that now there would be a riot!

I think those are all good suggestions about what we can do to help get the word out about this CD. I'm sure there's at least one thing in that list that anyone can do. I drove a group of neighbors to lunch a few days ago and they were a captive audience in the car with my music. And don't come to my house for anything and NOT expect to hear Clay. Oh wait - nothing to play it on. MUST get that resolved.

OOPS - sorry Kim! Totallly missed it!

Iseeme Look again, it is there! Rachael Ray and Kimmel are on the same day, May 16th. Climmel = Clay + Kimmel.

I believe that Clay will be a career artist in some way or form. He may not be in the way that some fans want him to or in the way I had it pictured in my mind 4 years ago, but I just feel inside me he will. I didn't get to see him in Spamalot, but I'm sure that experience opened a lot of eyes and possibly a lot of doors for Clay.

This caused me to think about someone like Heather Headly, she is someone who, I guess is considered very successful on broadway, however, I'd never heard of her until Clay dueted with her in her Broadway Cares show. She's still able to record albums, she and lots of other performers would kill to have half as many sales as Clay.

There are all levels of success and I'm not willing to write Clay's success as a recording artist off just yet. I would love for his sales to skyrocket or just have some long legs, and only time will tell. Each project he does only convinces me more that he's going to be around for a long time and I just hope there will always be places like FCA for us to come to celebrate along the way.

For now, I'm going to be very happy that I have new music from Clay to savor, it's a great album and when I'm buying music it is my opinion that counts, not Howard Cohen,s or Ken Barnes or any other music critic that can't move past their biases.

I wish I could remember some of the "pop" artists that started around the same time as Clay, I remember Jason Mraz and JC Chazez, I don't follow their careers, but I don't believe they are able to get the same kind of promo that Clay has been able to get - EVER -.

I know this was a little disjointed, but these were just some of the thoughts running around by brain this dreary, rainy Sunday morning, along with the thought is it ever going to be spring here?

Top 20 professionally recorded? Hmmm, let me think...

Here is the entire list I think:

1) Bridge Over Troubled Water

2) This Is The Night

3) The First Noel

4) On the Wings of Love

5) Invisible

6) I Will Carry You

7) The Way

8) When You Say You Love Me

9) No More Sad Songs

10) Run to Me

11) Shine

12) I Survived You

13) This Is the Night

14) Perfect Day

15) Measure of a Man

16) Touch

17) Without You (feat. Kim Locke)

18) Solitaire

19) Proud of Your Boy

20) O Holy Night

21) Winter Wonderland

22) Silent Night

23) Hark The Herald Angels Sing/O Come All Ye Faithful

24) Have Yourself A Merry LIttle Christmas

25) Mary, Did You Know

26) Joy To The World

27) The Christmas Song

28) Don't Save It All For Christmas Day

29) Merry Christmas With Love

30) Sleigh Ride

31) What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?

32) All Is Well

33) Christmas Waltz

34) O Come O Come Emmannuel

35) My Grown Up Christmas List

36) Right Here Waiting

37) Lonely No More

38) Without You

39) Every Time You Go Away

40) Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word

41) When I See You Smile

42) A Thousand Days

43) Everything I Do (I Do It For You)

44) Because You Loved Me

45) I Want To Know What Love Is

46) These Open Arms

47) Here You Come Again

48) Everything I Have

49) Broken Wings

50) Lover All Alone

51) If You Don't Know Me By Now

52) On My Way Here

53) Ashes

54) Everything I Don't Need

55) Something About Us

56) Falling

57) Where I Draw The Line

58) The Real Me

59) Weight Of The World

60) As Long As We're Here

61) Sacrificial Love

62) Grace Of God

63) Lover All Alone

64) It's In Everyone of Us

65) Forget I Ever Knew You

66) When I Need You

I believe that Clay will be a career artist in some way or form. He may not be in the way that some fans want him to or in the way I had it pictured in my mind 4 years ago, but I just feel inside me he will. I didn't get to see him in Spamalot, but I'm sure that experience opened a lot of eyes and possibly a lot of doors for Clay.

This caused me to think about someone like Heather Headly, she is someone who, I guess is considered very successful on broadway, however, I'd never heard of her until Clay dueted with her in her Broadway Cares show. She's still able to record albums, she and lots of other performers would kill to have half as many sales as Clay.

There are all levels of success and I'm not willing to write Clay's success as a recording artist off just yet. I would love for his sales to skyrocket or just have some long legs, and only time will tell. Each project he does only convinces me more that he's going to be around for a long time and I just hope there will always be places like FCA for us to come to celebrate along the way.

For now, I'm going to be very happy that I have new music from Clay to savor, it's a great album and when I'm buying music it is my opinion that counts, not Howard Cohen,s or Ken Barnes or any other music critic that can't move past their biases.

I wish I could remember some of the "pop" artists that started around the same time as Clay, I remember Jason Mraz and JC Chazez, I don't follow their careers, but I don't believe they are able to get the same kind of promo that Clay has been able to get - EVER -.

I know this was a little disjointed, but these were just some of the thoughts running around by brain this dreary, rainy Sunday morning, along with the thought is it ever going to be spring here?

atinal - thanks for posting this. You saved me a bunch of typing. I was trying to say that the other day - there are many, many successful career singers who don't sell a fraction of what Clay does. When I said 'gloom' last night - I guess I should've elaborated. Somebody else used the word 'karma' and that's kind of where my head is. To see the glass half full. To put all the positive energy and vibes out there that I can. Because apart from buying my copies, that really is all I can do.

On another note - I read that BC/EFA event DVD is available now - do we know yet if Clay/Hannah's duet is on it?

Just listened to the AOL Sessions interview. He did seem kind of subdued or something - not his usual cheery self and he looked SO young and skinny!!!! But I loved the answer he gave to the question about what did he think of women looking at him as a sex symbol! Bwaahaha. For those of you who haven't seen it recently, I'll paraphrase his answer: he doesn't understand it because women weren't falling all over him before Idol. (and they showed his audition picture!) And he doesn't think he should encourage it but if he gets a few dates out of it he'll be okay with it! Hah! If he said something like that now there would be a riot!

Indeed! But, despite what Clay said at that time~my understanding is there was NEVER~EVER a time after puberty :lol: when women weren't falling all over Clay.

Us women are pretty smart cookies. :imgtongue:

On another note - I read that BC/EFA event DVD is available now - do we know yet if Clay/Hannah's duet is on it?

Yes, apparently spotlightlover was able to confirm that it is. PM me before you order. We're getting together a group order....luckiest, if you're planning on ordering, PM me too.

Tune in for the shocking results!

My top 20 professionally recorded (and this list is just according to release order):

1) When You Say You Love Me - I just love it. Love this. Poppy, happy, makes my butt get up and dance. And I love the whole bar thingie!

2) No More Sad Songs - see, lyrically I find this just as sophisticated as the latest stuff - and people were saying he was singing it to Simon, SD, his stepfather, TPTB, 19, etc. etc. etc. I just really like angry songs.

3) Shine - What can I say? I frickin' love butterfly eyes and sinners and saints!

4) I Survived You - yeah, surprise, surprise.

5) Perfect Day - It takes me back to my first serious Clay trip, windows rolled down and me 'n SaneAikenFan singing along at the top of our lungs...

6) Without You (feat. Kim Locke) - I just love this. Better than the Quiana/Clay duet - and love this better than the live versions.

7) O Holy Night - I've wanted this since I first heard him sing.

8) Don't Save It All For Christmas Day - This is my Christmas jam.

9) All Is Well - This recording simply displays one of the best voices in music today. Period.

10) My Grown Up Christmas List - Didn't even like this song before this EP came out. On my permanent Christmas playlist

11) Lonely No More - Love this so much more than LAA - everything about it.

12) Without You - another recording that simply displays one of the best voices in music today.

13) Everything I Do (I Do It For You) - I am loving that Celtic sound on him.

14) Everything I Have - The man has the sweetest tenor ever, and the purity makes my heart melt.

15) Broken Wings - Makes me wanna holler, "Kiss me, I'm Irish"!

16) If You Don't Know Me By Now - Soulful Clay. 'Nuf said.

17) On My Way Here - So stuck in my head it will take a pickaxe to get out.

18) Falling - Loved it from the get go. My jam off this CD.

19) As Long As We're Here - Love it, love it, love it.

20) When I Need You - Been waiting for this since Miami 2004.

Not sure if this has been brought over or not, but here is just the CUTEst picture (in my books) of Clay from Benihana....does he look like a 12-yr old at the zoo or what? :cryingwlaughter: This is from when the egg goes into the hat.

In some ways, he is still 12 as well.....in the CUTEst possible way.

post-1461-1210524820_thumb.jpg

My list:

1. Solitaire......when he sang it on AI the deal was sealed!!! Always loved the song but it's Clay's now!!!! And that glory note.....gahhhhh!

2. Invisible...the first time I saw him "live" strutting up and down that stage, owning it! Will always equate this song with the emerging talent of Clay Aiken.

3. tie: All Is Well and O Holy Night.....I think in both songs we see what he can do with that voice when he really airs it out.

5. The Real Me....it just hits me in the gut, the lyrics, the beautiful tenor...can hardly wait to see him in concert with this one

6. Lover All Alone .....because Clay had a hand in writing it and sings it with such passion.

7. Sacrificial Love....because it has a beautiful melody and he sings it with such conviction

8. This Is The Night....when I hear this I think of his performance in North Carolina on the AI tour....when it really hit him what he had done!!!

9. Everything I Have - beautiful song, beautiful lyrics, beautiful Clay

10. Measure of A Man...mostly because of Clay's feelings for the song....and I loved the AOL session...Clay with his eyes closed, singing his heart out

11. Mary Did You Know - one of the most beautiful Christmas songs I've ever heard......

12. Perfect Day...loved the recording, loved the live version.....quintessential Clay Aiken song

13. Broken Wings - always liked the song, love Clay's version....haunting!

14. As Long As We're Here - love the lyrics

15. If You Don't Know Me By Now - Clay's version is better than Simply Red in my opinion

16. On My Way Here - perfect intro and theme for this CD.....words have meaning....."where I belong" is right on!

17. I Know How The River Feels - considering it was a demo, very professionally done - Clay could cross over to Country in a NY second!

18. Silent Night - perfect tenor

19. Bridge Over Troubled Water - the glory note, Clay has arrived!!!!

20. Proud of Your Boy - mostly because I want Clay to record a song for a Disney movie some day that will win an Academy Award....

(21)....not professionally recorded but one of the most stunning performances I've seen - Listen from Dreamgirls sung with Quiana)

eta: demo, had to remove Where I Draw The Line - decided it was my least favorite of the 20 I had originally chosen. And if "live performances" prior to AI and the demos, I'd have to add Once Upon A Christmas......beautiful duet with some girl who had a Joan Baez clarity to her voice.....another time Clay just totally aired out his golden, angel-blessed pipes!

Somehow I managed to sit near a woman who was spouting some seriously whacked out shit about OMWH (like BabyMama type shit)......no idea what she was doing there, but after giving her my opinion on her ravings in no uncertain terms,

You mean there is crap like that floating around about this album???? What was she saying??

I can't believe people can so easily put together their top 20 professionally recorded songs of Clay's! I haven't yet picked my favorites off OMWH!!

Of course, I would put my beloved TOUCH on there, and BW, and LAA, and IYDKMBN and probably AIW, but beyond that.....

Its like homework!!

I've got my list down to about 25, I need to give it some more thought. I can't cut anything yet. So maybe after I get back from doing mother's day stuff with my family, I can concentrate on it.

Happy Mother's Day Everyone!

Oddly enough, one of main criteria was that if I had to play the professional one right after a live version just to wallow in the pretty, it made the list. For 9 out of 10, the live versions are just so incredible - through finding a good digital copy is hard - I just don't bother with the recorded version. These stay on my CDs no matter what. I literally could not cut down to 50 everything. I'm just lucky in a sad sort of way that some things I can't live without are so freakin' short. Any Ultimate Clay collection I start always begins with that 23 seconds of Always and Forever. He does more in those 20 seconds than most can do with an entire CD.

I have on the jewelry I only wear for Mother's Day (because my child is amazingly like me in that he tends to give me what he loves, as opposed to what I love. Despite the fact I have a 4 hour cut off to take it off or my neck will look like Night of the Living Dead. I still can't believe he spent a month's salary (back when he was 16) on this - I will have to wear it forever. He's lucky I love him.

However, my mother is just up shit creek - I refuse to put on panty hose. Nekkid legs are good. Anyhoo, she'll like the Daily Grill.

Ciao, y'all!

Oooooooooooooooo Scarlett - if demos were allowed I would definitely add I Know How The River Feels! Honestly, that sounded like a professionally recorded song. I won a few bets with that back in the day. Played it and asked if they knew who was singing! Hah! Of course no one guessed Clay Aiken! Or should I say Clayton Aiken at that point!

If we count the demos, my count just shot up to 21. Dammit. The Blood Will Never Lose It's Power. The one my son actually demanded a copy of. (Take that, stereotypical demographic people!)

Let's count the demos!

So just came back from hitting up the stores for a mother's day present (shut up!). While I was out, stopped at KMart..good news is that they had 4 racks of clay, only about 8 CDs left, a sign prominently displaying available poster. Bad news was those babies were 15.99. NEXT! Went to Target..had to search and search and search and finally found 2 racks for Clay under new releases..but not the new releases rack that displays his picture above. They were 14.99 so just bought one. Can somebody tell me where the cheap ones are for next week?

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY

I thought people stopped paying attention to the local online fandom "know it alls a long time ago." I know I sure did. I think Clay and his marketing team have done a tremendouly good job getting him gigs on places that cater to his demographic. QVC-Rachel Rae-Paula Dean-Morning news shows-AC radio interviews-etc; etc! Let's not forget, either, all the free promoting he has got from his tour of Spamalot. His name has been everywhere for a long time. Just go check out ldyjoceln's thread where she keeps all the stuff posted said about him. I just don't give any creedence to the notion that he is not being promoted. That is just lunacy, IMHO.

Am I alone in thinking the best thing fans can do to support Clay, is to disengage ourselfs from the picture? Stop doing anything other than buying his cds and going to his concerts. I don't think Clay wants us trying to promote or "Help" him, anymore. We should learn from our past mistakes, and listen to what he is trying to tell us. We "helped" him right out of radio play and sales with ATDW. He has more or less told us this. He has already mentioned to us that YouTube DOES NOT HELP PROMOTE HIM. Yet fans still put anything and everything he has ever done on there. Mistakes and all. I have searched him on there, and I'm sure he has too, and I have found some of the most unflattering stuff of him. Things that would embarrass him. I also got the impression from him that he would prefer we not contac radio to play him. Yeah I know he said call once or something, but a lot of his fans don't listen to him, AT ALL. As evidenced by his last blog. I plan to bow out on street team efforts and just let things happen the way they are suppose to happen. He has to connect to others on his own, from now on, without anymore artifical "help" from us. He needs to rely on his talent and his choices in order to do that. JMHO and all. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Another pull over from Get Clay Aiken:

from edlwis at CB

Clay was interviewed on 97.1 WASH-FM in Washington, DC

http://tinyurl.com/45673f

The only thing I want to know from this interview? Who is constantly reminding him to shut the water off when he is brushing his teeth, and WTH are they doing there? In the morning and at bedtime. Hmmmmmmmm? :whistling-1: Inquiring minds want to know. :naughtywag:

Interesting viewpoint in the ET review. I guess no one has heard Clay say he isn't targetting the pop/rock crowd! She kind of validates that. Different people have different feelings from the CD but honestly it does sound like Clay has lost a love somewhere along the way....even though he maintains not all the songs are autobiographical!

But not a bad review.

The only thing I want to know from this interview? Who is constantly reminding him to shut the water off when he is brushing his teeth, and WTH are they doing there? In the morning and at bedtime. Hmmmmmmmm? Inquiring minds want to know.

HAH....me too!!!!

I don't think we should disengage completely. There are things we can do if we if we are so inclined. I think Clay does want our help but he wants us to be "subtle" and not his old defintion. I think he made that pretty clear. As for you tube... you know..that's the wave of the now and the future. I think there is way more good out there than there is that will embarass him because he's a damn good performer. So I guess I don't think we should bow out completely but use our heads. And I know some won't be rational but I don't think then the only thing to do then is do nothing. There are good blogs and radio stations and other things out there from fans and even if it brings in one person then it's all good in my opinion.

It's a tough balance..I thought Clay's blog really spelled it out but people still think they can tell him and Jaymes which songs should be the single. THAT'S OVER. The decision has been made - so support it if you want to see another single.

As for Lucky hearing people still spouting crazy shit... what are ya gonna do. You did the right thing...don't listen and snicker later. Tell them they are fucking nuts and walk away. Good job Lucky.

I wish I could say I can't believe there are still people out there with the hubris to keep trying to dictate to Clay & Co. after that blog. But I do. And I seriously wish they'd cut it the fuck out. I mean he could not have been more clear - no secret code words or twinkles in his eye. Yet they still determine to undermine him and to pretend that they know better than Clay, the record company and anybody else who doesn't listen to them. It is the ultimate in disrespect, no matter how they try and pretty it up. I'd laugh it off, except there are too many people in the online fandom who actually believe them and allow them to shape their attitudes. Same shit, different day. When will they learn?

I think I'm starting to get it. I think they want him to sing about sex, not love but sex, and because the lyrics he sings doesn't spell it out in an in your face, I want to screw anying that isn't nailed down sort of way, it's not edgy or cool, and only the Claymates could like it because they're all beyond that in their post menopausal state. :cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter:

Oh did Clay specifically mention YouTube as not being helpful? Cos I think that is one of the most effective promo tool right now. I think what may be counter productive is when people put up things that are not too flattering to Clay. Or when it takes away from people using the original website.

I think one of the things that may have hurt Clay a bit is our very efficient distribution of Clack. Fans have the tendency to dl everything of Clays and we watch it on our computers. I think at times this is not good for Clay cos the amount of streaming is used to determine popularity trends...Even TiVO...the number of times segments are replayed is a data that are very useful for TPTB...so I really suggest that if peole TiVo his performance...play it often.