#32: Man with titanium balls and the voice to back them up!

Ansamcw

What should the next thread title be at FCA?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What should the next thread title be at FCA?

• Where he thinks he belongs, and it's not in any lane, it's all over the damned highway.
    • "Clay Aiken: #1 Bad Ass"
    • Large and in Charge...
    • Let's all chant "I think it can! I think it can! I think it can!"
    • He is too good, too magical...
    • I have seen the light and the light is named Clay!

Huh??? How is it the Clive song? Do they think the person he wants "out of his bed" is Clive??? **shudders**

Unreal.

Hee, because that is obviously who he is referring to when he sings "last of a dying breed"! :cryingwlaughter:

D101 Silly me, for not picking up on that! *rolls eyes* Scary to think that the pod people are still with us.....

Here's how I responded on another board about lyrical cherry-picking:

Hmm...I can see how selective isolation of lyrics might render a "Clive' meaning...but, to me, that interpretation makes other parts of the song seem...er...'odd'.

Okay, backing up, Clay tells me not to try to figure out what the songs mean to HIM, but to interpret them in a way that is meaningful to me.

So...to me, there may be no more reason for "last of a dying breed" than a songwriter's attempt to create a rhyme with "need". Or, perhaps it's an attempt to describe the slow demise of a relationship..."(we are/this love is) the last of a dying breed. (Relationship is too old and too tired to go on, so it's time to say goodbye)...'cause we've 'come this far, but it has to stop'. Like that reviewer's confusing use of the word "threadbare" a few weeks ago, sometimes the choice of a particular expression may mean something different in minds of his audience than the writer may have intended. Next time I see Kipper, I'll ask him. Right after I give him an enthusiastically grateful, mind-blowing hug.

Until then, I refuse to associate Clive Davis with "Everything I Don't Need" just as I refuse to think of "It's in Every One of Us" as the "muppet song". *skips away, humming tra lala lala*

KAndre, just in case you were referencing my comments yesterday, let me clarify that when I compared Clay's new album to Kelly's "Breakaway" it was only because I couldn't think of another (fairly current) artist with a hit-after-hit album. I mean, I could flip channels all day long on my radio and hear one of several songs from that one album on any given station. It was annoying. heh

But, for Clay, I'd endure...um...saturation. *smirk*

Re: Philadelphia Inquirer's "review", I thought "bathetic" was a typo...but "bathetic" is a real word that means "sentimental". Fun with merriam-webster!

footloose, who knew two words could give me heart failure this morning? "It's starting". Agghhhh!!!! *run away...run away...run away, run away, run away*

kewl...so when QVC's 15,000 are added (which of course, I'm going to happily assume they aren't in that first number :whistling-1: ), Clay is FIRST with 34,659! :cryingwlaughter:

Oy...wonder how often the HDD is updated...and wonder how often paramedics around the country will be getting the call in the next few days. :lmaosmiley-1:

kewl...so when QVC's 15,000 are added (which of course, I'm going to happily assume they aren't in that first number :whistling-1: ), Clay is FIRST with 34,659! :cryingwlaughter:

I'll go with this brand of logic.....works for me. :)

Nah, it wasn't you - but that's a point - when was the last time you heard something from My December? Hell, Kelly talked about how she walks around her house nekkid in front of strangers - and no one cared. And Breakaway didn't even come close to Confessions by Usher.

Y'all know what was the number one selling album in 2007? Josh Groban's freakin' Noel. With a grand total of around 3.6 million. I look at numbers like that, and cannot be even pretend to be worried about Clay's numbers. I will look at them with mild interest, and wait with interest to see what TC comes up with.

Well, frankly, there are other people to compare Clay to than Kelly. If I recall correctly, lots of churn on the iTunes charts is normal. Especially the daily charts. And every week there are new "must have" releases. As for Kelly, I think the reason no one is wondering what happened to her is that no one cares what happened to her. Unless something dramatically changes, Breakaway is going to be her big, once in a lifetime CD. Hell, Breakaway right now is still outselling My December - but no one cares. Sales (and even downloads) across the board are not-really-amazingly weak.

Kelly sold 2,000 copies of Breakaway, down from 2,100, for a total of 5.99 million. My December sold 800, same as last week, for a total of 764,000.

I disagree. I think if Kelly's next album is the kind of pop princess stuff Breakaway was she'll have another hit. I think My December tanked because it wasn't that good and it wasn't what her teen fanbase wanted to hear. They gave her a shot and now she will probably put out what the label wants her to.

Oy...wonder how often the HDD is updated...and wonder how often paramedics around the country will be getting the call in the next few days. :lmaosmiley-1:

BWAH!!!

I have a what's done is done attitude right now. What has been purchased has been purchased. If the numbers are bad, they're bad. Nothing we can do about it. I also have though lately maybe Clay isn't that popular and that his music isn't what most want to hear. So be it. As long as there are enough of us who do like him and do want to hear his music to keep him making it, I can live.

ETA: Well, it looks like Toby Keith is selling a lot more than anticipated.....

I'm searching for the Easter Bonnet order form but now I have to run out and can't find it. Can somebody move to the front for me or post a link.

Happy Monday

Here ya go, Couchie: Broadway Beat - scroll down & click on "Broadway Cares / Equity Fights AIDS Order Form".

ETA: In case anyone missed it and is wondering for certain whether Clay & Hannah's performance of The Prayer *is* on the DVD, here's the post from Spotlightlover at CH confirming:

I emailed Broadway Beat about the Easter Bonnet DVD:

Hi,

I'm sure this won't be the only such email you receive. I'm a big fan of Clay Aiken and would like to get his singing performance at the 2008 Easter Bonnet event, but I know that there were two days of performances and he only performed on one of them. Before I order the DVD I'd just like to be sure his performance of "The Prayer" with Hannah Waddingham is on the DVD.

Thanks very much,

spot

And I received this extremely articulate and erudite reply:

yes it is

So there ya go. *g*

Ah, it's just coincidental, but I'm rather glad I have to be mostly offline until early this evening. I have no worries about Clay's numbers in this extremely down CD market, but hugs to those who are anxious. Just hold on to thoughts of Clay in a fabulously expensive well-tailored suit being extremely funny on the Tonight Show this evening, and then tearing into his lead single in a way that will result in another sales bump for next week's numbers. And who knows, there might possibly be stubble and whatnot...

"Yeah, no worries" <The Braiding Clueless Guard.

"Yeah, no worries" <The Braiding Clueless Guard.

er...I do believe that's "Yeah, no problems", bottle, my love....although it's quite possible I was so enthralled by the braiding of the Braiding Clueless Guard that I misheard. :cryingwlaughter:

I suddenly got the sound of an auctioneer or an announcer at the races:

AAAAAAAAAAAND it's Mariah coming up on the lead...WAIT! Who's THAT? I.Don't.Believe.It! It's Toby Keith around the far turn..it's Toby Keith, Toby Keith....as they approach the straightaway...wait! Who's THAT? Out of the pack comes...

:lmaosmiley-1:

I'm not worrying about the numbers. Didn't Jaymes post first day numbers somewhere over 17,000 on the OFC? And that was without a lot sellers reporting in at that time. So basically the HDD count so far is just one day. He'll be fine!

Happy belated Mother's Day to all! I'm bummed because my kitties didn't get me anything -- unless you call filling their litter boxes as "getting me somthing." *g*

I drove to my Mom's yesterday, with hubby in tow. This was his first chance to hear OMWH straight through -- I had it on the day before, but we were stopping for a lot of errands, and that really interrupts the flow of the album. Anyway, I played it for him, and then asked for his thoughts. He liked it, but he did say that he thought "things kinda sounded the same." When I questioned him about this, he modified the statement a bit -- that the "mood of the album is consistent." I could accept that, and he and I agreed that this really isn't a BAD thing. My husband thinks that having one producer for this album was exactly what Clay needed, really, because in his mind it establishes a "Clay Aiken sound," one that he didn't think the other two albums had.

And, as a case in point, the next album we listened to on the trip was the latest Eagles album -- and it crystalized what my husband was talking about. Within the first minute of the first song, I knew I was listening to an Eagles album, and that feeling continues throughout, even though there are different tempos (and heck, with them, even different singers). It seems that my husband was saying that with OMWH, Clay now has a "signature sound" -- and I thank God for Kipper at this point.

We also talked about the fandom a bit, and the people that sometimes seem to "take over" within it. He says that's one of the reasons he considers himself a fan of the Rolling Stones, for example, but doesn't try to get within their fandom. He feels there are people like that in almost every fandom he's even remotely paid attention to. For me, I love being part of the fandom itself, but I could understand what he was saying.

As far as sales numbers for today goes....I understand the worry, I really do. I too want people to hear this album, and will try my best to do it in the ways that I can. I do still listen to the radio, mostly in the mornings when I'm getting ready for work, and that station is an AC/Hot AC station. I will probably email them tomorrow and see if they'll play OMWH during their all request lunch hour. I've also bought multiples, basically for that archival purposes thing that cindilu talked about. I'll probably give away one of my QVC copies to someone this week, and I will probably buy more this week for gifts to people who have said to me at work that they like Clay. Past that, I trust TC.

The fluctuations in the iTunes chart really doesn't bug me all that much. I think it was KAndre who said that there's always going to be a "next big thing" coming out, which is naturally going to push Clay down the charts. Also, those fluctuations seem to vary every 5 minutes, so I can't get up in arms over it either.

I guess I see it this way: I see it as Clay Aiken, being treated as a "normal recording artist," rather than "Clay Aiken, who should be master of all recording charts" (how I feel some fans see it). IMO, he seems to be getting publicity that quite a few artists are getting. He's being treated as a recording artist with a career that is good and solid; he and his team and RCA are continuing to build the framework for his career to continue for the long-haul. I'm OK with that.

This album may be his breakout; how it gets there is really no worry of mine, and yet, I will celebrate it if it happens. If it doesn't....I'll just plug along, still being a Clay Aiken fan, while he continues to work on this next album. And so on, and so on, and scooby dooby dooby.

What is the cut-off day for the weekly charts .... Saturday or Sunday?

I think I read it was Sat. but how can that make sense for CDs that drop on Tuesday? :huh:

ETA: Bwah! I see Couchie has another sooper seekrit news source! :cryingwlaughter:

Went for a walk at lunch with OMWH on the iPod. Happened by a Sunrise Records store so I popped in and was pleased to see Clay on the New Release rack. So far I haven't had any trouble finding the CD wherever I've looked.

A good day to stay in the idol threads, heh, I just posted tome at the Ch on Sanjaya, et al. I thinkthis is a good day to pot my hanging baskets, so I have to get some more light potting soil, put on an old coat and sit in the garage (it is pouring and cold!) I want to go to the beach for the next 3 days, so I will miss a lot, but I have to make food et all, pack the car, so that probably won't happen for a few more days. Especially if I have to play another game of indoor ball with Holly, the "bugging me" dog.

I guess I would be considered one of the "normal" fans; the only thing I do to support Clay is buy his CD's and go to concerts. I don't listen to radio so I don't see the point in calling a station and requesting Clay If I am not going to listen. I am reading posts from people who are going to the store everyday to buy more CD's or are downloading more copies of OMWH and I guess I really don't understand the logic here...it seems life artifically inflating his numbers and if there are limited CD's in the stores how are new fans going to hear the CD if we are buying them all up? For me, I bought the CD's I wanted...we can't do everything.

I can see where you don't want to buy what you don't need, but some other normal fans want to do minor stuff. I don't buy 100 copies, like the head on Kelly's big boards (Yes, I read a thread on how many copies did you buy there once, now too board with it all). I am that not big on donating to the troops but see the value of donating to the way we make a difference, where the people have actually seen and like Clay. I do understand that the cds go to the families as well as to rec areas for troops in the US and other places. I don't know about CDplayers in tanks, I think I read once they do have them.

All musicians like to get fans to help them and I am sure they all have some fans buying multiples. I bought about 8 copies on the Johnny Mathis Christmas album, although not at once, I wear them out. because I love that album, best Christmas album ever. Of course, I bought 4 copies of the Beach Bioys Christmas album and Two of Stevie Wonders - things happen, stuff breaks. I didn't buy then all at once. I will say that any extras of Clay's singles/EP that I bought have pretty much found a home by now. I sold someone a copy of MOAM last year because they could not find it and wanted one.

But, on the other hand, it is my preference that I be a bit more proactive, hence the buying of the free (with pepsi points) single. It takes time, no money. And so goes the extra spins of the radio stations. I do recommend playing on the station playlist, if you can find it, before requesting, just to show some interest not coming out of thin air. JMHO.

I forgot to tell Couchie - today they had a scene from Passing Strange on the end of the View. maybe you can still get someone to record it for you.

I have a particular song lifting my heart on this momentous day:

LADY OF THE LAKE:

If you trust in your soul

Keep your eyes on the goal

Then the prize you won't fail

That's your grail

That's your grail

So be strong

Keep right on

To the end of your song

Do not fail

Find your grail

Find your grail

Find your grail

Life is really up to you

You must choose what to pursue, oh yeah.

Set your mind on what to find

And there's nothin' you can't do

So keep right to the end

You'll find your goal my friend

You won't fail

Find your grail

Find your grail

Find your grail

COMPANY:

Find your grail

Find your grail

ARTHUR:

When your life

Seems to drift

When we all need a lift

Tell yourself you won't fail

Find your grail

Find your grail

Life is really up to you

You must choose what to pursue

Set your mind on what to find

LADY OF THE LAKE:

And there's nothin' you can't do

You can't do

Dooooo!!

COMPANY:

So keep right (so keep right) to the end (to the end)

You'll find your goal my friend

Find your grail!

You won't fail

Find your grail

Find your grail

Find your grail!!

Whatever the goal, whatever the prize, whatever the grail, whatever the 'numbers'...nothing, but nothing can change the fact for me that "On My Way Here" is a good album. A really, really good album. I love it. I just love it.

So, regardless of the questions and unknowns and what ifs, with that voice in my ears, I'm chock-full of happy.

I am so proud of Clay today. There's nothing you can't do, baybee. :)

I am so proud of Clay today. There's nothing you can't do, baybee

Gawd, ain't that the truth... :hubbahubba:

what? :huh:(t/m Clueless Hawtsingerman Guard)

Oh, I misread that...I thought you said, "noONE you can't do"...

:whistling-1:

**Sigh** I hate living in such an anti-Clay city. Philadelphia has NEVER liked Clay. Here is the Philadelphia Inquirer's review of OMWH (and they hated SAU! :cry4: )

I feel your pain, Claygasm. **sigh**

I might think about requesting OMWH at the local AC station, which I think is B101. - hey, that's sort of funny now. I don't listen, though, so I'd need to learn their culture. I rarely listen to radio, and never AC, Hot AC or CHR. There are way more interesting ways to learn about new music. I want to help, though **sigh** . There was one Southern New Jersey station (considered the Philadelphia area) that played Clay on occasion. I listened when Clay had something on their playlist, but that was a long time ago. I don't even remember where it is on the dial.

**Sigh** I hate living in such an anti-Clay city. Philadelphia has NEVER liked Clay. Here is the Philadelphia Inquirer's review of OMWH (and they hated SAU! :cry4: )

I feel your pain, Claygasm. **sigh**

I might think about requesting OMWH at the local AC station, which I think is B101. - hey, that's sort of funny now. I don't listen, though, so I'd need to learn their culture. I rarely listen to radio, and never AC, Hot AC or CHR. There are way more interesting ways to learn about new music. I want to help, though **sigh** . There was one Southern New Jersey station (considered the Philadelphia area) that played Clay on occasion. I listened when Clay had something on their playlist, but that was a long time ago. I don't even remember where it is on the dial.

Ducky, back in the dark ages WJBR in Wilmington played Clay, but haven't for YEARS. I thought of emailing them but several years ago the DJ there told me they don't add songs to their playlist until the song is a hit or has a solid bullet, so I doubt it would do much good

I don't listen, but back then we played that station in my then office. Not sure what to do. There is so little hope around here to hear Clay...

Ducky, back in the dark ages WJBR in Wilmington played Clay, but haven't for YEARS. I thought of emailing them but several years ago the DJ there told me they don't add songs to their playlist until the song is a hit or has a solid bullet, so I doubt it would do much good

I don't listen, but back then we played that station in my then office. Not sure what to do. There is so little hope around here to hear Clay...

Maybe I'll check out WJBR (Just Beautiful Radio - cracks me up). I tried B101's website, but didn't see a playlist. I did their ratings thing for about 10 minutes. Building up some rights, I guess. I didn't see a way to request though.

The station I heard Clay on ages ago was something like 95.7 or 97.5 (I tend to mis-sequence numbers). There were 2 DJ's in the morning, a male and female. The woman, Chris, liked Clay. Too bad the radio station was intolerable to me.

After a bit of research: It was WPST from Princeton, as it turns out. It is now at 94.5, but I don't think that's where it used to live. The DJ is Chris Rollins, who is still there. I will follow this one. Oy. I don't want to listen to the radio. It's as bad as the cart. **big whine**

Maybe I'll check out WJBR (Just Beautiful Radio - cracks me up). I tried B101's website, but didn't see a playlist. I did their ratings thing for about 10 minutes. Building up some rights, I guess. I didn't see a way to request though.

The station I heard Clay on ages ago was something like 95.7 or 97.5 (I tend to mis-sequence numbers). There were 2 DJ's in the morning, a male and female. The woman, Chris, liked Clay. Too bad the radio station was intolerable to me.

After a bit of research: It was WPST from Princeton, as it turns out. It is now at 94.5, but I don't think that's where it used to live. The DJ is Chris Rollins, who is still there. I will follow this one. Oy. I don't want to listen to the radio. It's as bad as the cart. **big whine**

I think I know which one you meant. I think it is now BEN-FM a station that claims to play anything they want! I have never heard Clay buts lots of Kelly and Carrie and Jordin Sparkes so they are not against AI alums. This is also the station where I heard the interview with Bon JOvi where he said Clay had recorded one of his songs and I scooped the Clay Nation!

No idea if they are considered AC, HOT AC or something else, though. How do you find stuff like that out anyway?

I don't usually watch the number but man, they are NOT looking good. He is holding at #5 behind Neil Diamond, Toby Keith (who seems to be doing better than predicted), Leona Lewis and Madonna. He hasn't yet broken 40K with almost 50% of the vote numbers in.

Really not good......