#35: You mean, it’s not all dressing up and dancing at FCA?

Thread title poll  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title for FCA?

• I know, I know
    • Clay?s the balm, dog.
    • He's Clay Aiken, the one and only, for God's sake!
    • He's got energy, he's got soul, he's got it all, that voice pours out of him.
    • What can I say, he's addictive.
    • I'm of the "don't die til the bullet hits you school."
    • He can turn my world on with his smile!
    • Daddy now or later or never, Clay is a gift and I'd love to unwrap it.
    • Clay Aiken: Promoting Friskiness Since 2003.
    • It ain't my life, just my passion!
    • FCA - An anarco-syndicalist commune of cyclically in sync nomadic omnivores.
    • CiSNOs from FCA who tulibu dibu douchou Clay!
    • The man has done so many songs that you never know when he will just pop into your mind as you go about your day.
    • The man has perfectly perfect pipes and a perfectly perfect profile presenting the perfect potion of masculine pulchritude!
    • What the man did with a minute and a half with a limited choice of material, a backing track and three idiots staring at him was nothing short of art.

Heh. I walked in this morning to a power outage at our entire campus. It just came back about 25 minutes ago...and now I find the only thing I can get to is the web. No important documents, and no "official" email.

Guess this means I can reply here, then, eh?

Are we starting a new song?

Or are we procrastinating because "I" is the next available alpha letter on the CD?

Or not on - but bonused onto the cd?

Besides. If we were going to go alpha - wouldn't we have done Ashes first?

*g*

We did Ashes. Where we you? :cryingwlaughter: Actually the game didn't start getting popular til a few songs in.

Could we have more time on Grace of God? Weren't we going to have two days per song?

jmh is right, we started this "little project" about a week and half after the album came out, but it kinda "died," partially because I didn't follow up and "push" people. But now, it's kind of taken off. I promise we'll revisit both Ashes and ALAWH when we go through the entire alphabet.

jmh, I started GOG on Wednesday evening, so I personally think it's time for the next song. However, that doesn't stop you for commenting later as well. But...in the meantime...

SONG OF THE DAY: It's In Every One of Us

I do have a question for anyone who has time to give me a response. Has anyone found that they talk more to their kids (or other friends or family members) about music in general than they did pre-Clay? I sure do, and I'm really greatful to Clay for helping me make that connection with them again.

In my case, with only my husband and I, the answer really is "no." (No kids, not planning on any...) My DH and I really "connected" because of music. While it did help that we both had the same career, what made us know that we clicked was that we could both discuss all kinds of music and the other person would at least have a passing familiarity with what they were talking about. Clay, now -- he does spark discussions about the music business between DH and I, but just hearing a Beatles song on the radio will do the same thing. I ::::heart::: my hubby.

Just what is a Gold record exactly - I know - stupid question! Is that 100,000 sold? And platnium is 1 million?

According to the dreaded wikipedia (hee), a gold record is 500,000 sold, while platinum is 1 million. It used to be 1 million/2 million, but that was changed several years agol

Oh man -- 6 songs. Tough, but I did it:

Clay songs:

Here You Come Again -- I so dearly love the low notes in this song, they get me every.single.time.

Where I Draw the Line -- for now, this is my favorite from OMWH, although this is the one that could be switched out for almost any other song on OMWH. Hee.

All is Well, Merrillville 2006 version -- chills. That was an amazing night.

Non-Clay songs. My three choices need to be played in order -- love, loss, and then finally joy:

Don Henley -- Taking You Home. He's such an amazing vocalist, and this song is such a gorgeous love song to me. ER fans know this one as the "Doug and Carol" song.

Sinead O'Connor -- Nothing Compares 2 U. IMO, this is THE song of hearbreak.

U2 -- Beautiful Day. This song simply rocks. "It's a beautiful day -- don't let it get away."

3. Miss Chatelaine- KD Lang- I remember first hearing her in the Olympics at Calgary, I thought she was a country singer. Saw her again on the Tonight Show with Roy Orbison. They sang a duet and blew me away. I've been a fan ever since.

She actually DID start out as a country singer. I actually discovered her because of this song: Pullin' Back the Reins. What a beautifully pure voice, and such emotion. The album this came from went on to win a Grammy for best country album -- which threw the traditional country music scene into a full blown tizzy. They couldn't "understand" her, even if she did have a fantastic voice. (Hmmm....sounds a bit like someone else we know...) It actually kind drove her into the music she's doing now, which is more traditional pop.

FromClaygary, I love your bracelets!

This is me. I KNOW one song that would be in my top 3 Clay songs - TOUCH!!!!!! See, I not only love this song, but it makes me giggle at how stubborn Clay is about not singing it. I never thought there was any deep reason he didn't. Just figured he didn't like it. But I swear the more fuss we made over it the more he dug his heels in. I still believe one day, waaaaaay down the line, when most have forgotten that the song exists, he will sing it!

I'm on the total opposite end of CG with my feelings for Touch, and yet I agree with her -- I think the "fuss" made over the song is probably the reason why we've never heard it live...and that we will maybe, possibly, someday, will hear it live.

Buble and Groban likely never get asked the questions which bring the snapped responses.

I don't think that's quite true -- I'd have to dig a bit, but I think they have BOTH been questioned about their sexuality, several times. And I'm pretty positive that Buble has had a few "scandals" -- if nothing else, wasn't there that appearance on AI where several people thought (and still do think) he was drunk?

I follow a bit of Buble's career, because I do actually like him and his singing. I love swing type music, so I enjoy him. I also think he quite funny in interviews. Groban -- don't like his music at all (I agree with the person who said that the personality was trained out of him), but I've seen him in interviews too, and he is also quite funny. (Watched him play dueling Guitar Hero with Ellen Degeneres the other day -- it was a hoot!).

Now, why these guys, and not Clay? I really don't have much of an idea -- nor (*ducks tomatoes*) do I really CARE. I just can't get into comparisons for this -- not my thing, most of the time.

Clay is Clay. I enjoy him. 'nuff said.

I know, I know as a thread title? I like it.

Blessings upon you if you've made it through this long assed post.

ldyj said:

don't think that's quite true -- I'd have to dig a bit, but I think they have BOTH been questioned about their sexuality, several times. And I'm pretty positive that Buble has had a few "scandals" -- if nothing else, wasn't there that appearance on AI where several people thought (and still do think) he was drunk?

I follow a bit of Buble's career, because I do actually like him and his singing. I love swing type music, so I enjoy him. I also think he quite funny in interviews. Groban -- don't like his music at all (I agree with the person who said that the personality was trained out of him), but I've seen him in interviews too, and he is also quite funny. (Watched him play dueling Guitar Hero with Ellen Degeneres the other day -- it was a hoot!).

Now, why these guys, and not Clay? I really don't have much of an idea -- nor (*ducks tomatoes*) do I really CARE. I just can't get into comparisons for this -- not my thing, most of the time.

Oh, we were not comparing singers at all, just trying to figure out why Clay is so much more polarising. And if you have to dig around to find where they got questioned about their sexuality - that is kinda my point.

No one really cared about Buble's AI appearance, really, it was odd, but it was not much of a water-cooler thing for weeks afterwards. "Several people" is not very much!

Yes, Groban is cute as a button, and Buble looks good in a tux - but since that Starbucks commercial I think of him as a sorta chubby singing waiter - who sings really well. I just prefer the richer voice of Sinatra, is all.

Perambulating with my walker through youtube - wow, all Lucinda's stuff is live, and kinda rough, and IMO not as good as sitting and listening to her CDs on headphones.

And I see that we have an American Paul Potts on board for this year's America's Got Talent - not quite as good as Paul, by a teensy bit, and this guy has already sung at Carnegie Hall, but is now selling insurance. But great story, and when someone nails Nessun Dorma, it always brings tears to my eyes.

Claytonic, the mind boggles at cases like the one in Bris with the twins. How can someone not have any concerns about those parents abilities or mental health or sobriety? There is help out there, the community health nurses are free and a godsend and full of info re: extra help etc. I have found myself thinking about those kids quite a bit the last few days....

This brought to mind a book a read many years ago.

Death in White Bear Lake by Siegal.

Any of you ever read this? Chilling.

I forgot to thank whoever it was who linked the Ragtime Let Them Hear You!

I've seen Ragtime twice. Road shows. Once in Raleigh, once in Charlotte.

Wonderful play. Loved seeing/hearing the Brian Mitchell version.

Why is he familiar to me? TV somewhere, but I can't place it.

Still can't do 3 on 3.

I do think I would want to have Gustav Holst: The Planets Suite. If I had to limit to one - it would be Mars.

:)

Clay:

My Grown-up Christmas List from GMA

Unchained Melody - Toledo/Foster Gala

When Doves Cry - Miami

Told you I was a dirty rotten cover lover!! Honorable mention to Perfect Day, Lover All Alone, I Can't Make You Love Me, Suspicious Minds, I Know How the River Feels, Rosanna, the whole album OMWH, Everything You Go Away, Broken Wings, and more more more!!!!

Other:

Ripple - Grateful Dead (Reckoning, Alternative Live Version)

I Put a Spell on You - Credence Clearwater

Double Trouble - Clapton, Live at the Budokan (or Otis Rush's version)

Looks like I'm a live performance whore too. Heh.

when someone nails Nessun Dorma, it always brings tears to my eyes.

Amen! Including the guy the other night on America's Best Talent or whatever the name of that show it. And he really nailed it! Being a figure skating fan, I'll always remember Brian Boitano skating to Placido Domingo's version......(or one of those other tenors......)Powerful skater, powerful song. Chills.

Oh crap - I totally forgot I Know How The River Feels! And I'm listening to Run To Me right now.....I love the quality of Clay's voice on this song. I do think it strained his voice a bit and we didn't hear it too often in concert as I remember. "Right now IIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.............can't give you what you need....." And then lower range "run to me!"

Oh, we were not comparing singers at all, just trying to figure out why Clay is so much more polarising. And if you have to dig around to find where they got questioned about their sexuality - that is kinda my point.

No one really cared about Buble's AI appearance, really, it was odd, but it was not much of a water-cooler thing for weeks afterwards. "Several people" is not very much!

I guess my point is more this: I've not been to a Buble or Groban message board ever. But -- maybe their fans have been worried for a long time regarding media write ups and such that were less than flattering about their guys. And I'm sure I read more than a few things in the media for a few days afterward about Buble's AI appearance -- which I would guess that Buble fans (maybe, not sure) would be apoplectic about. I didn't really care all that much, because while I like Buble, it didn't bug me that much. But I honestly don't know how the hard core Buble fans reacted -- they may have reacted just as badly as some Clay fans do over some of the more "controversial" things he's supposedly had done.

I just get the feeling that some in the fandom make more of a "to do" about Clay being polarizing, when there are fans of other artists that feel the same way about the object of their affections.

FromClaygary - :bighug: I absolutely love the bracelets!

Yes!

I forgot to mention, Lori. They're lovely!

I'm afraid the He Blogged one may have to go into mothball storage!!

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

Man! I wish these song links could all be "housed" into one or two posts so I could gradually visit all of them!

I'm sorry I missed the beginning of the Song of the Day!

Can't believe I missed SAU!

But I'm glad SL is still to be discussed! LOVE it!

Does anybody else sing harmony with Clay every time SL comes on?

Just me then.

I'd give my eye teeth and a few other parts to get to sing with him on this one.

Yeah. I know. There's no vocal background singer on SL. I still hear the harmony part!

So there!

:cryingwlaughter:

ETA:

OMG!

The opera guy on AGT!!!

He was fabulous! DH loved it.

He's so funny - can't carry a tune in a bucket! Never had vocal training of the simplest sort. But he loves to listen!

Why doesn't he love Clay? :cry4:

Re: Clay and JG and MB.

Clay :

1. AI - culture of criticism.

The show makes people think they can criticize. Makes them think they know something about music! :cryingwlaughter:

And it invites cruelty.

2. Came along later. I swear times are different.

JG did Ally McB. I don't even think that show could survive today.

He also became known due to - rehearsing with Celine fo the oscars and Opening (or Closing?) for the Olympics. All three of these events cast JG in a positive, sympathetic light, in emotional settings.

Just different more classy stages than AI. KWIM?

3. The music industry is so different now from when they got their start.

I know it doesn't seem that long ago, but CA, MB and JG entered the Music world in SUCH different climates. And Clay's entry climate was COLD!

IMO

I'm sorry I missed the beginning of the Song of the Day!

Can't believe I missed SAU!

Cotton, I have NO IDEA what alphabet you're using! Here's the listing, beginning with today's song:

It's in Everyone of Us

Lover All Alone

On My Way Here

The Real Me

Sacrificial Love

Something about Us

Weight of the World

When I Need you

Where I Draw the Line

As Long As We're Here

Ashes

I think my question/statement was......

If it is Clay’s music that is holding him back from being on top of the world, then why are Groban and Buble doing so well?

They are all right there in basically the same genre, all handsome young men, all have beautiful voices. Yet, JG and MB sell out arenas and their CDs are top sellers.

IMO, Josh and Buble are both good, both have great voices, I have been to their concerts, and they cannot even come close to being the entertainer that Clay is......on live stage. I don’t have either of their CD’s and don’t really want one. Clay’s voice does something for/to me. ...... no other voice has ever affected me the way his does. :wub:

So why?... why is Clay not right up there with them in sales? I will never believe that it is because of Clay's or Clive’s choice of music.

Is it his label, his PR people, his management, coming from AI, scandals, Clive, marketing as POP instead of AC, promo.... do we look to Clay for the reason??? Is it his choice?

There has to be a reason someplace. Do I care???..... yes, but I guess many here don’t care to delve into it and prefer to just enjoy. That is OK too, wish I was there with you.

Medleys - great idea! They have to count as one song. We need more Clay medleys. As much as I love the Christmas medleys, the sitcom theme song medely, and the 'cool songs' medley, they wouln't make my top 3.

I could probably get by with 4 medleys of 5 songs each if I were forced to. I'm still going with the contraband plan, though.

Claygary, your bracelets are so pretty. :clap:

So why?... why is Clay not right up there with them in sales? I will never believe that it is because of Clay's or Clive’s choice of music.

Is it his label, his PR people, his management, coming from AI, scandals, Clive, marketing as POP instead of AC, promo.... do we look to Clay for the reason??? Is it his choice?

There has to be a reason someplace. Do I care???..... yes, but I guess many here don’t care to delve into it and prefer to just enjoy. That is OK too, wish I was there with you.

It's OK, I understand the caring aspect of it.

My opinion is that we'll never really know why the other two are more "popular" than Clay. I honestly think some of it is "right place, right time" for them -- they were able to catch the magic in the bottle at the time they needed it. Clay, while he and his team did a good job of catching some of the magic right after AI, and have (IMO) caught the magic more than a few times since then, haven't kept it up consistently. Again, I don't know why...sometimes it just IS, you know?

I guess I just feel that looking for reasons is rather pointless. I know that probably sounds cruel to you ToldforThis (and I don't mean it to sound that way at all), but the last thing I can do for Clay is worry about him, and why things are the way they are for him. Heck, it's hard enough worrying for ME and my husband. As much as I care for Clay...he's somewhat far down on my worry list.

I enjoy Clay for what he IS.

ToldForThis - I care! And I, too, wish I was in the camp that says WTF and turns their CD on. But it bothers me greatly. And I don't care what anybody says - I BELIEVE the media has hurt Clay's career!

I've seen Groban in person. Eh! Buble sings covers! covers! covers! and while I like his voice - it ain't all that different from Harry Connick, Jr. who ALSO sings alot of covers but is married to a supermodel with a passle of gorgeous little girls to vouch for his masculinity!

How long does Clay have to have the AI umbrella over him? He didn't even win. I get so tired of American Idol runner-up or American Idol star. Bullpucky. He's done so much since then that was bigger and better. I just feel like for some reason - probably a combination of reasons - Clay is a media punching bag. There are other punching bags out there as well - Tom Cruise, Brittany Spears, Brangelina, etc. etc. I think many of the punching bags have done things to deserve the notoriety or the media disdain....I just don't see that Clay has done anything but live his life, start a charity, give time to UNICEF, do kick-ass concerts, etc. It all comes back IMO to the "is he or isn't he" and much of the world wanting him to "be!" I don't understand this. I don't understand why anybody cares (tm CHA) but it's just a foregone conclusion that anytime he does ANYTHING that ugly spectre will rear its head again.

This CD should be selling like hotcakes - it's that good! But it isn't. I don't know what else Clay has to do - honestly! These songs are quite different from what he's sung before (in my untrained opinion) If he sang rock songs they'd laugh at him. If he sang only ballads they'd cry for uptempo (whatever the hell that is) If he sang country they'd want pop. ACK.

I agree with much of what is said about why MB and JG don't get harassed as much as Clay, but I have some other thoughts on it also. For one, both of those 2 have been out a few years longer than Clay. Another thing is that they finally hit on a song that pretty much defined them. For MB, I think that as Home, and I think that really helped propel him, and it is a great song which I enjoy listening to him sing. JG had You Raise Me Up right out of the gate and got major props for that by being on Ally McBeal, plus the storyline in that show helped to build him up. It also helped that David Foster was part of the whole package because whether people like him or not, he does have a lot of prestige and respect in the industry. I also think that some of Clay's fans have hurt him. Most of us have still remained sane people but there are some that are pushy and OTT in many ways, which did turn off a lot of people. Heck, they turn me off and I understand the adoration, so I can imagine what people who don't love Clay would feel.

Overall, I think Clay will be fine. He must be doing something right to have so many people passionate about him, either loving or hating him. And he is one of the most versatile people that I have ever seen, both in his music and his abilities, of which we have only seen a small part. And Muski, behave yourself, I was not talking smut, only thinking it.

I'm always ETA'ing my post and then it's too late and folks have "turned the page".

ToldForThis, this was in answer to your question.

:)

ETA:

Re: Clay and JG and MB.

Clay :

1. AI - culture of criticism.

The show makes people think they can criticize. Makes them think they know something about music! :cryingwlaughter:

And it invites cruelty.

2. Came along later. I swear times are different.

JG did Ally McB. I don't even think that show could survive today.

He also became known due to - rehearsing with Celine fo the oscars and Opening (or Closing?) for the Olympics. All three of these events cast JG in a positive, sympathetic light, in emotional settings.

Just different more classy stages than AI. KWIM?

3. The music industry is so different now from when they got their start.

I know it doesn't seem that long ago, but CA, MB and JG entered the Music world in SUCH different climates. And Clay's entry climate was COLD!

IMO

Favourite Clay songs:

If you don't know my by now - I hope we get to hear that one in concert sometime!

As long as we're here - Love the message in that song. Love the celtic sound and I still get emotional when I play it.

Oh Holy night - 'waves' to Luckiest1 !

Non Clay songs:

Hallelujah - KD Lang,

The Boxer - Simon and Garfunkel

Boys of Summer- Don Henley

I've really enjoyed reading everyone's responses!

IT'S IN EVERY ONE OF US

I'm still contemplating the possibilities in these six little words. :hubbahubba:

And then pondering the impossibility of these four. :huh:

Clay's entry climate was COLD!

But mainly I'm still feeling chagrined and somewhat pissed because when I first checked the board three pages ago, I was reading FromClaygary's post and enjoying the purdy bracelet pics when I read these two famous/infamous words in between the purdy pictures:

He blogged.

And I was at the OFC so freakin' fast my computer's still panting! :blink: I was cussing at Clique for making it so take so long to log in (hates that s-l-o-w way a page has of rolling on) and gearing myself up to be zen about whatever the TRUTH is as told from his own pearly pink lips and wondering why FromClaygary wrote those two little words in such a normal font size and color.

My heart's still racing, demmit. :wacko::cryingwlaughter:

No way I can do the three song thingy. Although I CAN say that in the non-Clay songs, Derek & the Dominoes LAYLA is in there! GREAT song and such memories attached to it. :whistling-1:

And MAYBE Clay's AIW from Long Island would have to be in there. Not sure, but I know that whenever I even THINK of that performance, my eyes get all misty.

Other than those, I'll have to do some thinking for another decade or so.....

FromClaygary, I swear...as God as my witness (insert fist shaking emoticon here) I'll never forgive you for giving me a mini coronary this morning! :lmaosmiley-1:

I have never doubted Clay would be okay......because he's steadfast, strong, self-assured in his professional life and has MAD MAD talent. It's just painful to sit back and watch sometimes. ldyj has the right idea......but....I'm still trying to get to that point.

SO - I think it's time for purdy pictures....

March22.jpg

claypic3773.jpg

Somewhat of a difference.....and isn't it nice to see Clay with his shirt tucked in occasionally? :hubbahubba:

Hee, muski! I didn't click over to the OFC, but my heart did jump a bit when I first read that this morning, too. :P

Pretty pictures? OK, I'm easy! :flirtysmile3:

gmasmile1.jpg

kids.jpg

irishboodgal4-2-08sd1.jpg

ca_flr_08.jpg

CIMG3304.jpg

clay10x10-57.jpg

Kalamazoo10_jtgranny.jpg

It's in Every One of Us

Interesting where different minds go......

The first time I heard Clay sing those first 6 words, I immediately pictured a perplexed Sir Robin contemplating the swallowing of the Holy Grail. :cryingwlaughter:

It took a while for me to erase that image and really listen to the song, but once I did, I came to like it. Now I have to go listen again and think about why. I know that I especially like the beginning, which sounds like a hymn to me. Is there a difference between a hymn and a gospel song? There is in my mind, but I don't know if the distinction is just personal or definitional.

It's in Every One of Us

Interesting where different minds go......

The first time I heard Clay sing those first 6 words, I immediately pictured a perplexed Sir Robin contemplating the swallowing of the Holy Grail. :cryingwlaughter:

It took a while for me to erase that image and really listen to the song <snip>

:cryingwlaughter: That never entered my mind, but next time I play that song, it will! And I'm sure it'll be there a while! :cryingwlaughter:

ETA: Ooooooo - this was my 1,000th post! Next one takes me from managing Clay's person to "Executive Producer"... a title that now carries with it a whole new meaning... IIT, IIU, AATJ, etc. ;)

It's In Every One of Us

It doesn't take me back to church, because my Main Street Methodist Church wasn't into country gospel music at all!

But -

Daddy's family came from old church music. My paternal grandaddy was a Circuit Preacher on the Outer Banks! Daddy and all his siblings - there were 5 boys and one girl - poor girl! - played and sang - all kinds of instruments. As a matter of fact, their house drew the kids in on summer nights. They used to gather on the front porch playing guitar, trumpet, and whatever the neighbor young folks played. Nannie would have to chase them off the porch and front yard when the hour grew late.

So - years later, at family reunions, there was always music! Family gatherings always ended in a sing along!

Red River Valley

I Been Working on the Railroad

Old Rugged Cross

Tom Dooley

Swing Low, Sweet Chariot

and

ALWAYS

Amazing Grace!

And Always Harmony!

IIEOOU brings me to that harmony!

I love singing along. :)

Some of the lyrics make me smile - like that silly - Open Up BOTH your eyes!

hee

So - very old-timey country feel!

And buying the ticket but only watching half of the show!

Hokey.

But you sure know what it's talking about! Kinda like being "on the sidelines". You know - You're Here! Why not take hold of life and live it ALL!

ETA:

Is it a hymn?

or

Is it gospel?

I think it depends on who's singin' it and how they're singin' it!

For instance -

BOTW

It's a pop/folk song, right?

Except when it's not.

Clay's AI BOTW is pretty close to gospel.

Even though it's not a hymn.

Is that clear as mud?

Oh.

His Eye is On the Sparrow

Daddy used to sing that one. One of my favorties.

I don't often chime in on the "I'd like Clay to sing . . ." cuz I want him to sing what he wants to sing.

But I'd love for him to sing "His Eye is On the Sparrow"!

Ooh!

Love Lifted Me

Down by the Riverside!

Jacob's Ladder