#41: Clay Aiken Makes His Triumphant Return!

Couch Tomato

Thread Title  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What say ye - what's our new thread title?

• Life is short! Enjoy the Aiken!
    • We're still having fun, and you're still the one!
    • I hope he's just out there sinning right and left.
    • Yes, I will eat fish with blueberries or anything else he's touched.
    • Anarcho-syndicalist commune of cyclically in sync omnivores for Clay Aiken
    • I am not going anywhere except to Spamalot.

Getting ready to go out and take that drivers test.

But can;t go without giving (((Play)))....

I can understand why that post would upset you... after posting with you on other boards and getting to know you on this one ... I know that you do not fall into that 2% that Jaymes was talking about. But you know this fandom so well...you know that she is right about some of that very loud minority. I feel sad that you felt you may be part of that group...but you are not. Take care and you can share your feelings here or in PM...

{{{Scarlett}}}

Play, you feel how you feel. I admit, I don't understand, because the way you react to some things are so very out of my experience, and for me, all that Clay's been through in the last couple of years is still just life. My youngest and once favorite uncle, went from being a respected physician to living on the streets in three years...and for me, you just deal. I think you're are the point that no matter what Clay (or stand-ins) did, it would make things worse, so if backing off is healthier for you, do it.

As for Jaymes, I see people saying, oh maybe she shouldn't have said what she said or she shouldn't post, hell - she's human. And a real person. And I personally would much rather see something of a real person than someone who's more concerned with playing it safe and thinking, "Damn, a lot of those claymates are assholes" and smiling in their faces while taking their money. From reading on a customer service thread, ya know what? A customer ISN'T always right. Just because you bought something, doesn't give you the right to be shitty to people. And some (maybe even that 2% she was talking about) have gone above and BEYOND shitty. About HER. For YEARS now. Over the CDs - over the vignettes - over her being on tour with Clay - over the baby. And it feels like Clay has lifted a restraint off her. And she's letting people know how she REALLY feels, as opposed to being just a name they can throw darts at. Someone actually in the music business NOW. Who has been for THIRTY years. Who actually knows Clay. And actually says she's not speaking for Clay, she's speaking for HERSELF (I woulda added BECAUSE I'M A GODDAMN GROWN WOMAN AND CLAY'S A GODDAMN GROWN MAN AND WE CAN BOTH SPEAK FOR OURSELVES AND FRANKLY HE LIKES YOU PEOPLE BETTER, but then I'm a total bitch). She's also a serious Clay fan. I'm still snickering over the "perfect" thing. Just because some fans said the OFC is just for fans, doesn't make it true. It's for Team Clay as well. And she's a member of that too. So she can double-dip. People say, well, her words have more weight; well, hell...they should! She has more knowledge about our common interest then all the rest of us put together. People say, well, she doesn't know the fans? Well, hell...the fans don't know the fans! The fan boards wars managed to ghettoize a lot of the Clay Nation; and even more than that, the online fandom doesn't represent even half of the fandom....From what I have seen about her (and the albums she's worked on that I know about), I like the woman, though she is much nicer than I could even fake being...because if I have her position in Clay's life, a number of people would be banned from the OFC by name and I would do a little tap dance on their little banned names and talk smack about them.

Maybe I didn't read the scans enough times yesterday but this seems like a little bit more info. <h1 class=""></h1>

<h1 class="">Clay Aiken: My Son's Surgery Was a Defining Moment</h1> By David Caplan

Originally posted Friday September 26, 2008 07:00 AM EDT

When Clay Aiken's son, Parker, was four weeks old, the singer was thrust into panic mode: The baby, who had been vomiting with increasing frequency, was slated to undergo emergency surgery for an intestinal condition that complicates digestion.

"He had been gassy for weeks and then he started throwing up," Aiken, 29, tells PEOPLE in its latest issue. "Jaymes [Foster, the baby's mother] and I were trying to be calm, rational parents, so we didn't call the doctors too much, but it just got to a point where he was vomiting everything. He was starting to get dehydrated."

Parker was soon admitted to a nearby hospital and diagnosed with pyloric stenosis, a condition that prompted doctors to decide he needed surgery the following day.

It was in the early hours of the morning, shortly before Parker was scheduled for the surgery at a nearby hospital, that Aiken, who was at his home in North Carolina, "got really panicky," he tells PEOPLE.

So the singer headed to the hospital around 2 a.m. – after second-guessing his impending visit.

Wanted to Know Everything

"I was a little worried, like 'I don't think they're going to let me in the hospital at 2 or3 in the morning.' Then I thought, 'Wait a second, I'm the father! Of course they'll let me in," Aiken says. "It was the first moment when I thought, 'I'm actually this child's father!' "

Aiken came armed with a series of questions for the doctors. "I don't like to nag people, but I asked every question I could think of, and I thought of some more and called them back. I wanted to know everything," he says.

"I was like, wait a second, this is my responsibility, I need to take care of this child, and he can't ask questions for himself. It was a reality check, like this is the real deal."

As for Parker now, a beaming Aiken says, "He's fine, healthy and doing well!"

Sure, since today I get up extra early to get everything I need to get done before 7:30 so I can watch the interview, he's on in the 8am hour!

Figures.

What is with that hair??? It looks like he used half a tube of gel and it wouldn't move in a hurricane! And I hate those glasses!

And yes, even in the face of this "revelation", I am still shallow! :lilredani:

After reading all of Jaymes' remarks last night I was going to say something that flies in the face of popular opinion here (nothing new there, right?) but I decided to sleep on it. This morning I still want to say the same thing, so I will.

I thought her posting at the OFC was wrong in so many ways. I don't disagree with her words as much as I really wish she wasn't there stirring up the fan divisiveness again. I thought maybe, maybe naively, that the good fan/bad fan crap might begin to heal... But IMO she just made things worse.

I thought she was preachy and heavy handed. She was scolding people who were having legitimate problems with this news. I totally get where she is coming from, but she is not coming from the same place we, the fans, are. She is not one of us. She is part of Clay's real life and inner circle. We are not. She cannot put herself in our shoes. She cannot fully understand how so many are feeling. She is not a fan. That board was meant for the fans, not for an over protective woman to run and defend her man!

She needs to learn her place and keep off the fan boards. This reminded me of sticking her nose in where it didn't belong at the beginning of JNT05. And we all saw how well that went over!

JMO and all that.

Off to work!

I REALLY hate the phrase "learning her place". It's nasty and condescending. The fan boards (nor the fans) aren't all that special that somebody, anybody is unworthy to frickin' post - anybody with internet access can post whatever the hell they want - and usually do. She's a frickin' fan. Let her post. She had a better grasp that half the whiny-ass comments of people who hadn't even seen the damn thing. CG, you seem to think a LOT of stuff is preachy - I like everything's she's said because I agree with ALL OF IT. Do I need to "learn my place"?

JMO and all that.

Doesn't really make it any better, huh?

Hey you aren't alone in your opinion CG but yeah I'm down with KAndre on this one. Fans feel like they can say anything they damn well please about Clay and finally FINALLY someone said enought of that bullshit. OFC is her board too and Clay's as well. If she was flying around the net I'd probably be less generous.

Still no details. hee well I'm just going to sit here and hold my breath.

I don't think Jaymes stirred things up. Yes, that thread was wonderful for the first day, the support was amazing and overwhelming. But it was bound to spiral downhill, like everything always does over there. I think she just responded in kind. And good for her. Just good for her. I wish the people over there who needed a smack down understood it was meant for them. Unfortunately, I think most of them have their heads so far up their own asses, they never will see it. Just like they never saw it when Clay smacked them down. I think Clay & Jaymes are very much alike, except Clay keeps more of it to himself.

OMG, the GMA piece this morning made me cry! It was so fantastic! I love how much footage we got of Clay, Jaymes & Parker. I love that they convinced him to sing for him. I love every word of his interview with Diane. I love him and I am so happy for him. :wub:

ETA: Details? Let's see, she asked how Parker came to be, Clay explained that it started as a joke, then over the course of a year or so it became serious. He joked alot about how they settle any arguments (whoever's the loudest!) and he said it's just like a separated couple who really love and care about each other. He talked about Christians and how he hates that people believe the stereotype that all Christians don't like gay people, when he said he is a Christian himself, and he knows plenty who don't feel that way. She of cousre asked him about if he was in a relationship and he told her maybe in the future, but it he is he won't tell her! Hee, same old Clay. ;)

I support Jaymes in that whole post and was glad to see her being real. It's about time.

The GMA piece is wonderful! He just glows, and the pictures of him with the baby and Jaymes are definitely schmoop-inducing to the nth. Nothing really new, but I think MOST will just love what he has to say about the decision they made, the reasons they made it, and the arrangements (which we really already know).

Don't miss it!!

ETA: I meant to mention as well, I think even the TIME the pieces were shown on GMA was well planned. Gay man announcement? No big deal.....shown halfway thru the first hour.

Announcement re his parenthood and its parameters? Important! Excellent 2nd-hour placement.

I thought it was really interesting.

Yesterday I had a 4-hr drive from audit Point A to audit Point B; I was going to put my Zen on, but instead decided for a bit to just drive and think. Now, I'm not one of the people that has had a problem with this whole thing, but I did do 4 hrs of thinking.

I know that the people I know have had some difficulty with the "death" of their white-picket-fence dream for Clay. He talked about that yesterday. But I guess, in thinking about it yesterday.....I can't imagine what exactly, in the white-picket-fence dream he is missing. His fence may be blue....and some of the pickets might be applied upside down or unevenly...but would we expect anything else of Clay? :lol:

He has a partner that he loves, and who loves him dearly; he has a beautiful baby boy, the start I suspect of a larger family. He has a great job which he enjoys, which pays him well enough to maintain a very nice lifestyle. He has the respect of many of his peers in his industry, and the love of many, many friends and extended family.

What am I missing? What is he missing?

I think he is clearly as happy as he's ever been in life....and I'm so happy for him! This is EXACTLY what I wanted for him. Always.

:wub:

I'll be in NYC in January for a week, and at the Gala with bells on. I wouldn't miss either of them.

Miss me?

:hysterical:

I had no internet after GMA yesterday and had to go help my son with some of his moving prep so I missed everything but the actual interview yesterday.

Can I just say I hatesessss OFC.

A friend told me about Jaymes' posts and I wanted to read so I did a search.

But then when I get the search results and clicked on the link it just took me to the first post of the thread. Grrr!

I tried to click the "page" icon, the "thread" icon - nuttin.

So then I progressed through the pages to try to find post 1477 where it starts - and it wasn't there!

Did somebody gather all her posts in one spot perchance?

Couchie, thanks for the link to the People page with more about little Parker's surgery. I can just imagine Clay being so nervous about his little tiny one needing surgery.

Reckon he and his Mom shared some about that experience?!

I may not love every single thing Clay Aiken does, but I do think he's handled this with grace. It can't have been easy. Jaymes, too. I love seeing them together.

Anyway - for now - - - Help?!

ETA:

I may not be able to go searching until later today even if someone has any helpful suggestions - gotta go get the stitches out this morning! Fun!

CG, while I don't agree that Jaymes needs to "learn her place," or that she was wrong to post, I will admit that I didn't have a positive reaction to many of her responses. I know it's my own issue, but I just don't like judgmental comments on anyone's posts, whether they be positive or negative. It feels to me like a teacher in class reinforcing some ideas and squelching others. The 'amazings' 'yesses' 'ding,ding,dings' and reference to 'getting it' irritate me, even when I agree with them. Opinions with content, in reaction to others' thoughts - fine. Evaluative language, not so much IMO. That being said, I loved her long post because she put some interesting ideas out there and it gave me a window into how she thinks. She is someone I am interested to get to know better, in so much as that is possible as a fan.

I think I understand where she is coming from, though. And it might be the only way to let the fans know which pieces of their thinking reflect what really is going on and which are off-base. To that end, I think she was helpful.

Another GMA detail from this morning - Clay sings more of Baby Mine to Parker.

Cotton, if you want to search for Jayme's specific posts, you need to make that selection. The other option is to show the thread where the posts were made, which might be the default. You might need to use advanced search, I'm not sure.

Unfortunately, I think most of them have their heads so far up their own asses, they never will see it. Just like they never saw it when Clay smacked them down. I think Clay & Jaymes are very much alike, except Clay keeps more of it to himself.

Oh my, going over there was quite an education. I'm one of those people who rarely set foot in the place and if I go, it's because I have a reason to. I had never developed an OFC aversion since I wasn't there enough, I just find the few boards I keep up with plenty. But I got a taste of what I had heard about last night. There was a poster there posting all in caps and calling someone an "idiot." Geez! And there was back and forth and high-fiving and well, yikes! He's an entertainer for God's sake! Yeah, I know there are some with absolutely no sense of perspective and it takes all kinds, but I don't think that's any fun. I really don't get it. (Because there is probably nothing to get other than some people just don't have any manners.)

OMG, the GMA piece this morning made me cry! It was so fantastic! I love how much footage we got of Clay, Jaymes & Parker. I love that they convinced him to sing for him. I love every word of his interview with Diane. I love him and I am so happy for him. :wub:

Oh, I wanna see sooooo bad!!!! I have to go out for dinner tonight and all through my appetizer I'm going to be thinking about the vault.

I know that the people I know have had some difficulty with the "death" of their white-picket-fence dream for Clay. He talked about that yesterday. But I guess, in thinking about it yesterday.....I can't imagine what exactly, in the white-picket-fence dream he is missing. His fence may be blue....and some of the pickets might be applied upside down or unevenly...but would we expect anything else of Clay? :lol:

He has a partner that he loves, and who loves him dearly; he has a beautiful baby boy, the start I suspect of a larger family. He has a great job which he enjoys, which pays him well enough to maintain a very nice lifestyle. He has the respect of many of his peers in his industry, and the love of many, many friends and extended family.

What am I missing? What is he missing?

I think he is clearly as happy as he's ever been in life....and I'm so happy for him! This is EXACTLY what I wanted for him. Always.

:wub:

I'll be in NYC in January for a week, and at the Gala with bells on. I wouldn't miss either of them.

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

Hee, just read one of Jaymes' posts from yesterday that I missed, where she (I am paraphrasing so I don't break any rules) told someone it was none of their business and she could say it in a few more languages if that would help. OMG BWAH!

FromClaygary, I love your post, and I agree wholeheartedly. I think it's going to take time for some fans to become comfortable with imagining a man in place of that perfect woman they always envisioned inside the white picket fence. ;) And I understand that, I really do. I know that not everyone can adjust to something like that overnight. I guess I've just had more experience with it! LOL I love Clay's quote about not dreaming too specifically for your child. I wish more parents were that wise.

ETA: Just wanted to add that I hope anyone who is struggling with how to help their children through this (and I've seen plenty over on OFC) will use this as a jumping off point for a discussion of accepting differences. I have had some great discussions over the past two days with my 17 yo about the whole coming out process and how difficult it can be, etc. Now, granted, he is young for his age, and for medical reasons is just starting to go through all the puberty stuff, so for him it's been kind of eye opening, even though he's watched others go through it before. I think this time, he can put himself in Clay's shoes and realize why he wasn't ready until now to announce it to the world. I think it's never too early to start talking to your kids about that kind of stuff. JHMO obviously.

I guess my reaction to Jaymes yesterday is the total opposite of CG's. To me she became a real person, not just the mother of Clay's child or his executive producer, but a woman with personality and guts. I liked what I knew about her before, but now I love her. I think she's got it all together and that they make a wonderful family. That little boy is very, very lucky to have those two as parents.

Loved the GMA interviews, both of them. I've often felt that Clay still had a lot of growing up to do, but these interviews showed me that he's accomplished that. I love his intelligence, his wit, his compassion and his immense talent and know that I'm committed to him as long as I live. No burnt puppy feeling from this fan, not now or ever.

By the way, Bella, good luck with your oral surgery this morning. Love ya! :thbighug-1:

My thing is, some are claiming that Jaymes' posts derailed the "kumbaya" nature of the thread and Clay wouldn't see the real OFC - well, the nasty is just as much a part of the real OFC and has been at the beginning, the middle and now. There are good parts to it, but those who deny the bad are just delusional.

Man, I like Clay Aiken so frickin' much!

From the CH:

the Korean fans are made of awesome. from snowluv at CV:

I saw this story from Korean fanclub page and thought it was really sweet so I share

Today I went to school still not getting over the shock.

I kept telling myself 'it's okay,it's okay'

and when I went there,my class teacher asked me what was wrong.

So I said I was shocked emotionally so he was like 'What emotional shock?'

I told him that an American singer that I love next to my family came out, he asked what the singer's name,and I said Clay Aiken.

Before we leave after class, the class teacher gave us some notices and said "Before we go,we'll listen to the song of Jung-min's favorite singer"

I was so surprised that my jaw dropped.And 'Withou You' was played..

I bit my lips and fought back my tears but as soon as Clay's song was played in the whole classroom....

Finally I bawled after school.

I was really thankful to my teacher today. I don't know why I cried.I just could not stop the tears.

Without you...just like the song,I think I can't live without Clay now.

I think that's sweet.

Just dropped in to say that I loved this morning interview. He just looked so happy, and you can see the respect and love they have for each other. He just looks so happy and I wish we had the whole song because it was song beautifully.

Another thing, I read alot at the OFC yesterday. I know people are struggling with this. I think in the back of my mind that I always thought he could be gay, but I wanted him to be straight so things would be easier for him. I do not care if he is gay. My BIL was gay and it did not make me love him any less. My friend who goes to concerts with me is having a hard time, she just thinks she will never look at him the same way. She says she will have a hard time lusting over him now. I said that I will not have any problem and that maybe in time she will think differently. She will continue to support him and see him in concert but it hit her hard. I also thought Jaymes long message yesterday was not inappropriate, some of those people were becoming over the top and the bashing of her son and Clay needed to stop. I understand people are upset and need to take time to determine how they feel, but it can be done respectably and not nasty. Words do hurt.

I'm confused.....Clay does have a loving family....perhaps white picket fences are not allowed in the homeowner association deed restrictions, though!

I keep reading that Jaymes' posts derailed the fandom. BULLSHIT. For the most part, the real negative crap is from people who are negative about everything anyway, and seem to take delight in throwing a Baby Ruth into the swimming pool. And the fandom was more fucked up over Hockeygate, the Great RCA Conspiracy Theory, FBM, fff, whatever, than this. And IMO it was fucked up deliberately, for amusement. There are posters who cannot stand to see the fandom all happy; hell, seems they turn on a dime and get pissy just for the fun of it. But they are easily disregarded.

Maybe I am not good at this fan thingy, but I am honestly puzzled about why his personal life angers some fans or makes them upset - not throwing stones, it just is bewildering.

I grew up in a time when women were supposed to stay in their place. In HS, one assignment was to research and write about the career you wanted, so I researched being a doctor. I'll never forget my teacher--a WOMAN--calling me to the front of the room and lecturing me about how the assignment was serious and it was ridiculous to think a woman could be a doctor. It was offensive then, and it's offensive now. Jaymes is a person--a separate person. AND, she's seeing her partner and child trashed. She was a hell of a lot nicer than I would have been.

Some of the things that the "fans" have written are so judgmental, blatantly ridiculous (how many times can a person whine that he "lied") and in some cases just downright revolting. If people aren't happy with Clay--FINE--leave. L.E.A.V.E. How hard is that?

I grew up in a time when women were supposed to stay in their place. In HS, one assignment was to research and write about the career you wanted, so I researched being a doctor. I'll never forget my teacher--a WOMAN--calling me to the front of the room and lecturing me about how the assignment was serious and it was ridiculous to think a woman could be a doctor. It was offensive then, and it's offensive now. Jaymes is a person--a separate person. AND, she's seeing her partner and child trashed. She was a hell of a lot nicer than I would have been.

Some of the things that the "fans" have written are so judgmental, blatantly ridiculous (how many times can a person whine that he "lied") and in some cases just downright revolting. If people aren't happy with Clay--FINE--leave. L.E.A.V.E. How hard is that?

OMG Wandacleo I had a similar experience - 7th grade social studies and I had to listen to my black teacher tell half the class their their goals were unrealistic.

Did I post yet about the interview. Beautiful... I love Diane Sawyer - what a puff peice LOL.

I'm confused.....Clay does have a loving family....perhaps white picket fences are not allowed in the homeowner association deed restrictions, though!

I keep reading that Jaymes' posts derailed the fandom. BULLSHIT. For the most part, the real negative crap is from people who are negative about everything anyway, and seem to take delight in throwing a Baby Ruth into the swimming pool. And the fandom was more fucked up over Hockeygate, the Great RCA Conspiracy Theory, FBM, fff, whatever, than this. And IMO it was fucked up deliberately, for amusement.

Maybe I am not good at this fan thingy, but I am honestly puzzled about why his personal life angers some fans or makes them upset - not throwing stones, it just is bewildering.

djs - totally agree with you on all of this. I don't know, maybe some people are having a hard time because they had Clay's future all planned out for him in a very traditional way and are so set in their expectations that they can't deal with a detour? He's not living up to their expectations? And I say some because obviously it's only some. Some people also just don't do "change" well at all. Hell after working for a large telecommunications company for forever, the only thing I'm used to is change!! If I didn't have to wonder if I'd still have a job next year, I'd probably freak out. I don't know normal anymore! :wacko: And just to add: And Clay's life and choices don't really affect anyone's real life, does it? I mean, if his choices upset your life that much, it's probably time to take a big step back.

And I admire Clay and Jaymes with how they are approaching how they will handle raising Parker. How often do you have the traditional marriage that ends up with a horrible divorce and the children are pawns in the middle. So is that better because they did the man/woman/marriage thing? I sure as hell don't think so. So the Clay/Jaymes' way isn't traditional? So what! I bet it works a thousand times better for the child than my traditional scenario above.

And a day (almost) later, I still don't have a problem with Jaymes' speaking her mind. Her son and her son's father and very good friend were being disrespected. I'd sure as hell speak out too. And it would have absolutely nothing to do with anything post delivery (like that has to be the reason she spoke out so forcefully - because of hormones?! have we gone that far backwards in time that a woman speaking her mind must be from hormones???? ugh!). Come after mine and rudely disrespect them and I'd be likely to rip that person a new one too!