#41: Clay Aiken Makes His Triumphant Return!

Couch Tomato

Thread Title  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What say ye - what's our new thread title?

• Life is short! Enjoy the Aiken!
    • We're still having fun, and you're still the one!
    • I hope he's just out there sinning right and left.
    • Yes, I will eat fish with blueberries or anything else he's touched.
    • Anarcho-syndicalist commune of cyclically in sync omnivores for Clay Aiken
    • I am not going anywhere except to Spamalot.

From CV

Ok just got off the phone with my friend who went tonight, she said there was no SD, and that Jerome did come out to look around a but, but no Clay ...She also said that there weren't that many Clay fans there tonight, which she thinks is normal anyway. But when she screamed for Clay at the end he looked up to her and smiled a BIG smile...then she gave him the "I love you sign" and he smiled and nodded again at her...she also wore this shirt that she made and she told me that EVERY staff member LOVED it...she told me that someone else from CB will post more about it later, they are at a restaurant right now lol ...so I couldn't hear her that well...but all in all she said that people "NJU" were really nice and supported through out the whole show...but again someone will post more about it later tonight about her story (I don't know who) and more of my friends story as well....and my friend also might post her story as well...tomorrow I think

~Heather~

I never even considered it a lie. I consider it more of an evasion. And even if, in his confusion and naievity at the time, he did lie deliberately, well...I told a lie yesterday. So shoot me.

This morning I was thinking about my upcoming trip to Spamalot, wondering if I will enjoy it as well now that Clay has admitted he's gay. And you know what I realized?

He was gay when I first fell in love with him on AI

He was gay during the Independent Tour.

He was gay during the NAT tour, all the Joyful Noise tours, Jukebox Tour and DCAT.

He was gay when he started the BAF.

He was gay each time he visited and advocated for children for UNICEF.

He's gay today.

In other words he hasn't changed at all...all those times he thrilled me and made me cry and made me laugh, he was gay. He didn't become gay when the People cover was leaked. He hasn't changed...the only thing that's changed is the amount of information we now have. So if he could thrill the socks off of me last week, last month, last year...I'm sure he will continue to do so for years to come.

:DoClay:

I'd still like the opportunity to boink him senseless.

oh yesssss............

Jaymes is posting at the OFC again.

Kim

Oh joy! -_-

Listen, I totally respect those of you who think Jaymes is fabulous and right to do what she is doing over there at the OFC, but I maintain my opinion and I maintain she could learn a lot from Clay and that her decision to continue to post on the OFC the way she is not a good idea. Just my opinion like its just your opinion if you think the opposite. Despite the way some some post in their disagreement, or how many may disagree, you are still no more right that me! Or more wrong.

Yes, Clay lied in the Rolling Stone article.

But personally, it's not a lie I'm willing to abandon him for, not when the circumstances are such that it would have been very difficult to tell the truth. And I think all the subsequent attempts to avoid the question were really attempts not to have to lie about it again. To me, that counts for something.

I don't feel we were owed the truth. That isn't our truth to have. Sexuality is a deeply personal thing, and it was his right to keep it to himself.

I realize people feel deceived. However, I believe him when he says he never intended to deceive anyone. I think he just let people believe what they wanted to believe. He allowed people to make assumptions. It's a subtle distinction, but I think it's a relevant one.

As usual, well said, Jenna.

I know this is big news and many are still struggling with it and all, but is there anyone else here who wishes we could just move on and go back to enjoying Clay for what he does best? I cannot wait for the day when once again the focus of our conversation is not about his sexuality of his baby or Jaymes, but on Clay singing or lighting up a stage or how bad or how good his hair looked, or something like that. I hope one day we will no longer talk about his sexuality at all. I know Parker (who if you noticed, Clay called his kid... :whistling-1: ) and Jaymes aren't going anywhere, but I still want the focus of attention to one day again be Clay the entertainer and hot sexy singerman and not on them.

Maybe one day.

Awww I hate to think that the weekends at Spamalot wont be filled with fans like it was his last run.

I hope Clay understands and is OK.

I hope lots of casual fans start showing up for him.

I think it would hurt me the most if this Spamalot run was not a roaring success.

I have NOT yet read the last few pages on here but I've been standing up cleaning the kitchen for the last hour and the one thing that struck me is that really, the most accurate statement of all came from Clay, i.e. people will believe what they want to believe. Somehow, I feel that even if Clay now signs a Statutory Declaration stating that he is gay, always was and will continue to be gay forever, there will be a tiny percentage in the fandom who will not believe it. They will continue to believe and/or fantasize that he is straight because that's what suits them and in their minds, they KNOW he is straight and has been pressured to say otherwise. See, it can't be black and white even when Clay tries to say so.

They have the video of this interview on their website including David taking a phone call from Jaymes.

From the CH.......

Whistler News.com

David Foster praises Clay Aiken's unconventional family

TORONTO-Uber-producer David Foster says his sister Jaymes and former "American Idol" runner-up Clay Aiken have found a beautiful way to have a child. Foster made the comment while visiting Toronto on Wednesday, the same day Aiken revealed to the world that he's gay.

They have the video of this interview on their website including David taking a phone call from Jaymes.

http://www.whistlerquestion.com/article/20...=73331135315255

I know this is big news and many are still struggling with it and all, but is there anyone else here who wishes we could just move on and go back to enjoying Clay for what he does best? I cannot wait for the day when once again the focus of our conversation is not about his sexuality of his baby or Jaymes, but on Clay singing or lighting up a stage or how bad or how good his hair looked, or something like that. I hope one day we will no longer talk about his sexuality at all. I know Parker (who if you noticed, Clay called his kid... :whistling-1: ) and Jaymes aren't going anywhere, but I still want the focus of attention to one day again be Clay the entertainer and hot sexy singerman and not on them.

Maybe one day.

Couple of things here...first of all, this is simply the topic du jour of the moment. I mean, it's Clay's COVER story on People magazine. The big story on GMA for two days. It's simply what people are going to talk about for a while.

Also...many boards really frowned on this whole topic. Not, of course, that it is really any of our business, but it is kind of freeing to me to be able to speak about this. And I personally love to talk about how cuuuuuuuuuute both Clay AND Parker are.

Having said that...how about instead of saying "I wish we could talk about this," saying "wasn't it great to hear Clay's voice again today singing?" Or "remember that time when he sang this, or looked like this?" Suggesting a topic is easy; it just depends on if the board wants to pick up on it. Some will, some won't.

Maybe one day.

Couple of things here...first of all, this is simply the topic du jour of the moment. I mean, it's Clay's COVER story on People magazine. The big story on GMA for two days. It's simply what people are going to talk about for a while.

Also...many boards really frowned on this whole topic. Not, of course, that it is really any of our business, but it is kind of freeing to me to be able to speak about this. And I personally love to talk about how cuuuuuuuuuute both Clay AND Parker are.

Having said that...how about instead of saying "I wish we could talk about this," saying "wasn't it great to hear Clay's voice again today singing?" Or "remember that time when he sang this, or looked like this?" Suggesting a topic is easy; it just depends on if the board wants to pick up on it. Some will, some won't.

I wasn't suggesting anything! I was just wondering if anyone else was wishing we as a fandom - not just this board - could move on and go back to talking about Clay the entertainer, not Clay the gay man! It was just something wistful. I even said I cannot wait for the day when the focus of our conversation is something else! I was not suggesting we move on NOW! I was not saying we should. I am not so naive to think that two days of discussion on any topic is ever enough in this fandom!

I was just looking forward to the day when we won't be dissecting this topic anymore and wondered if anyone else was too.

Geez, its hard for me to say anything these days without getting a finger wagged at me! You would think Jaymes was posting here or something! :cryingwlaughter:

:thbighug-1: Aww, CG, we'll eventually get back to the fun and frolic. All it'll take is one new juicy piece of Clack.

Transitional times are always a little awkward and difficult. This is no exception. Fans are in different places with this news. However, I do think that once we have something that we can all cheer for together, things will be closer to normal.

I think this fandom will change a bit. Some will leave. I've no doubt of that. People will have to adjust their dreams for him, alter their fantasies a bit. Perhaps look at him in a different way. However, I also believe it's possible to still swoon when he sings, to still laugh at his jokes and melt when he does something gentle and kind. And though this may be more difficult for some, I really think it's still even possible to continue to lust after him. He's still attractive. Gay people crush on straight celebrities all the time. There's no reason why straight people can't crush on a gay man. It's not as if any of us were likely to romantically involved with him even if he were straight.

It may take a while for us to get there, collectively. But I think most of us will get there in the end.

Well CG...since I am a fan of the whole man ...I am interested in every aspect of his life he chooses to share with us. I can't just talk about his music or his being an entertainer cos thats too limiting.

There has been so many great posts ...but I am so happy when Jenna posts...cos she is my brain twin...

WORD to Couchie, Kandre, Wandacleo...and so many others.

I totally understand why Jaymes did what she did. Just because Clay seem more reasonable than her...does not mean he is somehow superior and that She must now emulate him. It has been my experience that it is easier at times to take personal attacks aimed at ourselves than to see our loved ones attacked. I have a feeling that if the table was reversed...Clay could probably be fiercely protective too.

Claygasm....I hear you and I know exactly what you're saying.

I too am looking forward to the day when we can talk in our fangirly way about Clay.........not Clay the gay man. The time will come but I realize , as I know you do too, that it may take a little while.

Just to change to topic a bit....I just wanted to make a comment about Jaymes. I don't really understand the feelings some of the fans have about her and I REALLY don't want anyone to now provide a list of faults for me to read....it's ok I don't need to know the past and besides I'm too sleepy to take it in anyway.

I recall in an interview that Clay was asked what type of woman he preferred and he said (this is NOT a direct quote) he wanted a woman who was strong, who had her own opinions about things( he didn't necessarily need someone who would agree with his every word), he didn't want someone who was "frufru"(whatever that means) and he wanted someone who had a goal in life. IMO...he has found her...they love each other and they are best friends. I hope they are there for each other for a very long time. Parker is a very lucky little boy..a lot of conventional marriages don't stand the test of time but I have a feeling their love and friendship is here for the long haul. JMO FOLKS.

Nite all and of course :013085001176249046:

I never even considered it a lie. I consider it more of an evasion. And even if, in his confusion and naievity at the time, he did lie deliberately, well...I told a lie yesterday. So shoot me.

This morning I was thinking about my upcoming trip to Spamalot, wondering if I will enjoy it as well now that Clay has admitted he's gay. And you know what I realized?

He was gay when I first fell in love with him on AI

He was gay during the Independent Tour.

He was gay during the NAT tour, all the Joyful Noise tours, Jukebox Tour and DCAT.

He was gay when he started the BAF.

He was gay each time he visited and advocated for children for UNICEF.

He's gay today.

In other words he hasn't changed at all...all those times he thrilled me and made me cry and made me laugh, he was gay. He didn't become gay when the People cover was leaked. He hasn't changed...the only thing that's changed is the amount of information we now have. So if he could thrill the socks off of me last week, last month, last year...I'm sure he will continue to do so for years to come.

:DoClay:

I'd still like the opportunity to boink him senseless.

What a fantastic post!

In my eyes, Clay has done nothing wrong. I still love, respect, and support him, and I don't ever see that changing.

I don't drop in here that often, but the times that I do I always get the feeling of this being such a kind and caring board. I'm glad to see that that hasn't change.

I'm of the opinion that Clay was strongly advised by his handlers to not come out, that it would be career suicide because of his mostly women fanbase.

I don't believe that.

It's ok if you maintain your position CG. One less person to kill at the alter.

Bookwhore will you marry me? Let's all have sympathy unconventional lifestyles together why don't we.

Awww thanks justforfun. Come back and see us again!

Oh please! If we're going to go with same sex marriage anyway, why not bigamy?

Hee! Sounds like we need to drag out that anarcho-syndicalist commune of cyclically in sync omnivores for Clay Aiken thread title again... :hysterical:

Oh please! If we're going to go with same sex marriage anyway, why not bigamy?

check out my edit...hee I'm on that wavelength...

Well, why you all are fighting over Jaymes, I am going to court JennaZ! :lilredani:

what.

I'm still awake and it's 1:35 am on this side of the continent.

so? <_<

I just watched that David Foster clip. His manner is weird to me...of course the whole thing is edited, etc. so who really knows, but he's certainly closed mouthed about it all, huh? Which is a good thing. God knows there's enough hot air circulating about the whole story without David feeling obligated to add to it! :cryingwlaughter:

ok

I'll go to sleep now.

I hope.

Warning: I respond to some posts that are more than 24 hours old and I don't care. I also may piss several people off with this and I also don't care - except I really like Play and don't want to piss her off, even though I might, below.

I have to admit being pissed at someone, not sure who , who claimed that Clay was giving us hints all along like having gay men on his tour. Uh, I thought they were on the tour because they were talented - stupid me.I can't imagine that Clay would ever not want to put on the best show ever.instead of accomodate friends. Nuts. Obviouusly that is not why I got the hints.

Actually, every time I thought something was odd, like Dahstrom having the key to the house, someone would convince me I was wrong, so there you go. As bad as my perception was, I had help, heh.

My mind is boggled. Who has keys to your house says NOTHING about your sexuality. My next door neighbor is a 70 year old African American woman and she has a key to my house – what does that tell you? Nothing? Exactly. He had gay men on his tour? He had STRAIGHT people too!!! Gay people are not generally so bigoted, at least not more than anyone else, that they only hire other gay people – they DO hire the best people for the job, from what I've seen. Jesus, I don’t know where you’re reading this stuff, but it’s frankly bigoted and outrageous. Dahlstrom having a key is weird?? So, because John is gay Clay must be too – apparently because gay men are ONLY friends with other gay men or only employ gay men? How insulting. John was an employee, why wouldn’t he have a key? How do you explain Kristy living there? Or Nick? Clay is very giving and loving with his FRIENDS. So, can Jimmy Kimmel no longer be Clay’s friend now that Clay is out of the closet?? Can my brother have no male friends who are straight?? Do you see where I’m having trouble here?

You may feel beat up over this subject and I’m very sorry if you’re struggling, but God, I’m appalled. Nothing personal, Play, and I don’t want to hurt your feelings, but this is just way out there. My gay brother gave keys to his house to his straight neighbors – does that mean he’s really straight?? He despises the gay male couple that live up the block, does that mean he’s really straight?? Um, no. They are *people* who he doesn’t like for reasons that he’s explained to me. Being gay is not a club where everyone loves each other any more than all straight people love each other. I’m going to a lesbian fundraiser for Obama next weekend – does that mean I’m secretly gay?

I think one of the biggest issues *I* have with this topic is that now, because ONE aspect of the past two years has been shown to be true (Clay is gay) then that must mean all the other shit is true as well – that’s just insane. NOTHING is ever that simple.

I REALLY hate the phrase "learning her place". It's nasty and condescending.

Not to mention that it takes me back to another time and place. A very nasty time and place.

You wanna be a what?? A GEOLOGIST??? Really? Yeah, really. My mother was the one who pushed me in the geologist direction because she is very smart, and I’ve been very lucky to find a lot of pro-women people in my career – but in college? Interesting. Out of my “place”. Except to the male geology students, of course. <g>

I think that if you can dish the shit out at the OFC, you have to learn to TAKE it, regardless of who it comes from. Don’t like what Jaymes has to say? Tough shit.

It must have been very hard for him to sing in front of screaming females with "Marry me Clay signs," and then come out and say "I am gay." I cannot even begin to imagine how he must have felt at the time. He was in a very difficult position.

Why would he feel anything other than flattered, really? I mean the seeing of the signs and declarations of love part – not the coming out part. I took a guy to New Orleans during Southern Decadence and he is straight – he got whistled at and got some cat calls from gay men. He was *flattered* and he waved and reveled in it. Combine the two for Clay and that would be awkward, but by itself, I don’t think anything fans did to show the love to Clay made him anything other than flattered. None of the gay men I know say “Eeeww” when a woman finds them attractive.

Jaymes - hormonal, lonely and bored? Strikes me as sexist in the extreme. Not far from saying “She must be on the rag” when ever a woman dares to get angry.

So it wasn't that I felt a need to proclaim to the world that Clay was gay, but I absolutely couldn't pretend to myself or make myself believe that he was straight, whether I thought it was the right thing to do or not. And it wasn't about stereotypes or mannerisms or clothing choices or any of that. It was about life choices, and how he interacted with his friends and what he said in interviews and every little thing. He only made sense to me as a gay man. Also, I never thought that he seemed to be trying to hide it or appeared to be trying to live the life of a straight man. Once you accepted that he was gay, it seemed so very obvious that he was and that he wasn't even trying to hide it. Even so, I completely agree that if all you look at is the words he used in interviews those first couple of years, he did mislead us and intended to mislead us. But I understood why he needed to do that. If you're not ready to come out to your family or your family's friends, how can you come out to the world.

Just because Clay is gay doesn’t make this LESS bullshit stereotyping. He made sense to you as a gay man? Dear god – do we all fit so well in a box? So very easy to categorize, label and stereotype people (ldyj - what is that saying from XF that is similar to this?). So very wrong. Even if you are right this time, you can’t just look at people you don’t know and judge them – you will be wrong as often are you are right.

If someone asked me about my sex life, I might lie.

If someone asked me if I ever had sex outside of my marriage, I might lie.

If someone asked me if I ever had unprotected sex, I might lie.

Clay is much better than me (and so are you) because I would say “Fuck you.” <g>

The truth is . . .

THE QUESTION SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN ASKED!

He just shouldn't have been put in that position. IMO

Which is my rationale for a big old Fuck YOU to anyone who asks. <g>

I think that something said as an act of self-preservation--even emotional self-preservation--is not a lie. Even if it's not the truth.

We do what we need to in order to survive.

A-fucking-men. (psst…I did scroll a bit, but it’s not you, it’s me. But you probably won’t see this because YOU scroll, am I right? <g>)

Oh, what is that saying about glass houses and stones??

CG, do you really not understand the difference between the possessive “my kid” or “a kid” and the kid?? Sorry, you were still dismissive and disrespectful, IMO – it’s all in the tone.

Whoa, HeidiHo! Feeling a bit feisty tonight? :unsure:

How 'bout them Mets, huh? B)

what.

yeah...I'm still up.

so? :glare:

I don't know who WendyWink (I think that's right) is on OFC but I LOVED her post on that notorious, nefarious, sometimes noxious People Mag thread over there. Very thoughtful and...kinda hit home with me, actually---re how the news hit and her self examination of her reaction to it.... :blush: Maybe I'll actually go over there and pm her that very thing!

No...can't do that. 'Coss I'm going to bed now....

:whistling-1:

ETA: keepingfaith---you talking about the pic where he's sitting crosslegged on the floor?