# 65: "Clay Aiken's Not Just Any Joe"

ldyjocelyn

My tweet is included in this link that WRAL posted, hee!

Twitter reacts to Clay Aiken's possible political future (via @RecordsGeek):

http://t.co/onxNVPNEW2

Keepingfaith's tweet is on the second page of that link too, and I recognize a few other people as well. Very cool ladies!

One more day of meetings and then I hopefully fly back tomorrow. But tommorrow there is supposed to be more snow! Hope I make it!

I have the day off because everything is closed here for a "winter storm warning" because Houstonians do not drive in freezing drizzle. It's our right and privilege as a reward for enduring summer. Schools are closed all day and it's already above freezing at my place. So I'm indoors today with blanket TV coverage by the local media, i.e., the "news" people who drive 100 miles north in search of an inch of snow in which to lie down and attempt some piss-poor snow angels. It happened.

A nice outcome was being home to see Clay's run for Congress mentioned (with two or three great pictures) on morning TV. And the tone was positive. I guess he'll throw that bucket hat in the ring next month.

I'm so excited. And I just can't hide it. I think Clay will blow away his primary opponents. And I wouldn't underestimate a significant pushback to Ms. Ellmers in the general. She essentially crapped on the federal workers in District 2 when she prominently refused to give up her own paycheck, as her colleagues had done. Said she couldn't afford to lose a paycheck - that her colleagues were wealthy. Yet her congressional salary is way, way above that of government workers in District 2. They have families. They have friends. I don't think for a minute that Clay is in this to lose. He's not guaranteed a victory, and the campaign has barely begun, but I'm looking forward to it. Actually knocking-my-knees-together anticipation.

Keepingfaith, my company's corporate office is in houston and the whole company (and we are world wide) mistakenly got a memo about their plans to handle the weather there. Hilarious. I emailed HR and asked if Californians can have a drought day.

Wussies. We are in the midst of a blizzard, and I'm still considering driving an hour east this evening to attend a skating send off party for a pair of Olympians. The snow is supposed to taper off, but I'm a bit concerned about the blowing snow warnings. Of course, I'll need to dig my car out of the driveway first...........

I so dislike it when we are called wussies, even in fun, because we cannot deal with the cold or snow. We do not have what we need to deal with this.

My daughter teaches in a lower income school and by far the majority don't have winter coats. When your priority is food on the table a warm coat is the last thing you buy to wear one or two days every year or so. They cannot have kids waiting for busses and freezing. We don't have snow tires, ice scrapers, salt for the driveways and the majority of our freeways are high so they freeze up immediately.

Try buying a really warm sweater, you can't.

There were over 200 accidents because of ice yesterday. It is much safer to stay home.

Ok off my soapbox!

I am a wussie. Couldnt get warm allday even inthe house and I grew up in NJ. School started 2 hours late here too so the kids wouldnt freeze waiting for a bus. Maybeif you stopped sending all the cold weather from Canada we wouldn't be so skittish. :langue: Just kidding. Today will be above freezing, so all is good. No snow here at all yet.

Good luck getting out today luckiest. Cant wait for the Olympics to start.

Congratulations ldyj on your library getting the award.

It is all a matter of perspective, isn't it? I saw Houston on the news yesterday, and felt sorry for the city.

I am getting ready to leave Philly. Of course, it is supposed to be snowing when my flight leaves. I just hope I make my connection -- I miss my bed! And my husband! And my cats!

I hope I have time in the next few days to catch the news section up with all the latest media reports regarding Clay's candidacy...

Geez, I was just joking. I went to the grocery store yesterday, after the plows cleared the roads and my son shovelled the driveway, but decided that the roads were still too bad to attempt the highway. So I cancelled my plans last night.

We are supposed to be in the fifties today. Maybe I'll finally thaw out. Saw that Clay was in RI yesterday. Not a good place to warm up. I got trouted at CV for my comment about it. Eh!

Tai Chi today. The warmer weather should help me move a little better.

Any skating on tv today? Last week we had a summary of the Europeans Championship.

Made it back! Whew! It was snowing when I left Philadelphia yesterday -- fortunately the van driver was good. I got to the airport in plenty of time, and our boarding of the flight was only about 20 minutes late. But...then we had to go through de-icing. Good thing, of course, but it added us sitting on the tarmac for about a half hour, plus another 15 minutes of taxi-ing, before we could take off. Thankfully, my flight in Chicago was delayed as well, so I didn't have to run through O'Hare! And the flight from Chicago to central Illinois was BEAUTIFUL -- clear sky with all the night lights on the ground below.

Anyway, I have a hugely busy day ahead. Our annual meeting is at our church, so I have to go. Then, I haven't worked out all week, and I REALLY need it, so I'm going to try to get to the gym. Add to that laundry, dinner, and good British TV tonight, and I'm pretty much out of commission! Maybe tomorrow night I'll collect more of the articles about the continued rumors of Clay's candidacy!

No skating on NBC this weekend, Fear. Next weekend they are showing the Four Continents championship belatedly. And then we will be into Olympics the following weekend! The team event starts on Feb. 6th. I'm having a lazy weekend, catching up on PVRed shows.

Day off tomorrow because of bitter cold temperatures and high winds! So I've got a day to catch up on TV from the past week! And do homework for my class!

And stay up for "Sherlock" this evening!

• Like 1

No Fear, I don't think NBC would ever show the Canadian Nationals. However you can watch the programs online. Let me know if you want me to give you some youtube links.

We got another 4-5 inches over night and the wind is whipping it around again today. Windchill is -22C. My son made the mistake of coming in at 5:30 a.m., just as I was getting up for work. Guess what he got sent back out to do before he went to bed? LOL But as a result, I made it into work today without getting stuck! ;)

• Like 1

Gosh I need a drink! Oh wait I don't drink!

Ok I'll pop some popcorn.

Well, I do not usually drink but I think I could use one. I have no problem with the private concerts. I can not afford it but do not take away from those who can. I really believe if he could of pulled off some concerts that all could attend he would have. Then again no matter what if he could only had done a handfull not everyone could of made it and we would of heard how he did not go to the right areas. I think no matter what he does people will complain. I am easy and know that even if he had done something for all with my work schedule I probably would not be abel to attend. I would not be upset at him. Some of the posting has been very selfish and childish. I understand wanting to see him again because he may never sing to us again but it is what it is. I so not want closure at this time because I am leaving myself open to the thought that if he does not win maybe he will sing again. We just do not know what his plans are. I am here and not going anywhere.

Not sure what the latest thing is but I have to admit today I got a little sad. It's been a long time since I've put on my ear phone at work but today I think I listened to the Clay/Hannah duet `10 times over. What always gets me about that song is how effortless Clay sings. I saw this in person and to me Hannah, who was also fantastic seemed to be working so hard to pull it off. While Clay was on cruise control. And the thing is, all this hilarious stuff is going on in the background but if you ignore that and just listen to the voice he is absolutely killing it. It shows all his wonderful range and how absolutely far he has come since he was showing America his frying pan of talent. So yeah, I got sad because it was for moments like that, that always kept me coming back for more. LOL. Oh well, on the bright side...I'll have money to do all those things I've always dreamed of. Keep your fingers crossed, I think finally Alaska is on in June. Just have to feel out my potential room mate and hope all goes well.

I'm not sure if Clay had another concert or not, but I think I can understand some of the heartbreak. This fandom was built on sharing. Even those who never attended a single concert was able to feel a part of it. Everything was shared so freely. All the stuff I found when moving is a testament to that. I found my first CD ...with the words Clay sings to Angela as the title. Someone put all the demo songs on it and sent it to me. When my computer crashed and I lost everything, someone sent me 3 discs full of Clay pictures. I have the DVD's of practically everything he did the first 2 years, so beautifully chronicled on a monthly basis. And I have DVD's of every concert tour he did and yeah even all that other stuff that wasn't supposed to be taped. I was one of the lucky ones. I only missed one tour. But yet I feel like i was there. So to feel like it is ending, and on a note that leaves out the one thing that brought us all together, that sense of community is a bit sad. It's the very fact that people can't afford to go that makes it harder to know that this time, it just won't be shared and it's pretty much over for the foreseeable future.

Now off to work..so I can pay for my vacation!!

Couchie......the latest thing in a nutshell is Clay did more private concerts for the folks that lost out on the piano bid. They asked he said yes! Lots of angst over secrecy and no clack. Clay PM'd the mod to straighten it out. As usual caused more angst!

I just posted a new article in the news section about Clay's possible candidacy. It's interesting, because it does spell out pretty well the problems he will face with his constituency but also the idea that his candidacy can possibly pull in younger voters.

I'm still not sure it's ending, but all the twists and turns sure are fun.

I don't know if I'd necessarily call it fun, but it sure is interesting. I suppose it depends on if you like roller coasters or not. (I do!)

I'll just apologize in advance right now for what I'm going to say, because it may hurt some who read here. My whole problem with what has transpired over the last 24 hours is how personally some are taking this whole thing. "I've supported him for 11 years now, and I get dumped like this!" As if he owes "us" something.

To this day, I still think that American Idol was both a blessing and a curse for him...and for "us." The show opened the world to him, and fans came along for the ride in so many ways. The votes came in droves.

But it also exposed a darker side of so much -- the tabloid media. Crazy fans. And those who thought he owed us because we supported him.

I personally have never felt like that.

I am sure I've said this 50 ways from Sunday: am I sad he won't be singing for a while? Yes. Am I sad I wasn't able to be part of a group? Yes. Am I going to be pissed off at Clay for not telling us "this is the end?" Nope.

"We" certainly don't know that it's the "end." As they say, there's only two things that are certain: death and taxes. Now, I do believe he's going to postpone singing for a while, but that just makes me appreciate what we have all the much more. It doesn't make me sad in the least to hear him sing via clack.

I do understand some of the sadness, and that some need to work through this. And at the same time though...I don't know. I guess my realistic side just kicks in. As much as I "love" him, I guess I've moved past him being an emotional anchor for me. (He definitely was that in the beginning of my fandom!) He's still my "fun," though!

Clay has NEVER been the perfect man. He's made lots of mistakes...as have every single one of us. But it doesn't mean that he, or us as a fandom, aren't fascinating too.

• Like 1

I was one of the lucky ones. I only missed one tour. But yet I feel like i was there. So to feel like it is ending, and on a note that leaves out the one thing that brought us all together, that sense of community is a bit sad. It's the very fact that people can't afford to go that makes it harder to know that this time, it just won't be shared and it's pretty much over for the foreseeable future.

I didn't miss a tour, but otherwise I agree with this 100%. I'm not mad at him, I don't take it personally, I don't think he owes me anything, but do I like how it ended? Not really, no. I also kind of wish I hadn't attended gala, because that is not the event I want to remember as my last. So I choose to remember Joseph instead, because that was a high note to go out on! I can't even begin to describe how glad I am I went to Maine, and also how glad I am that I went to NC for Drowsy Chaperone.

I think I kind of started backing up a bit a couple of years ago, sensing that the Clay stuff was going to get sparser, so I developed other interests...some old, some new. I never really envisioned it ending completely though. This now makes two of my obsessions (yes, I freely use that word) that have chosen to change career paths. Just goes to show that you should never put all your eggs in one basket, I guess.

I thought I'd "lost" him after AI2 and I didn't! So whatever I have had in the last 10 years regarding concerts, m&g and shows I consider a bonus.

I'm sad that he may not be performing again, in the entertainment arena, but I cannot be mad at him. He has given me far more than I ever expected and for that I am genuinely grateful.

I loathe politics so this transition will be extremely difficult for me but I'll still be around.