# 10 It isn't so easy to get your knickers off when they're in a knot.

Ansamcw

New thread title poll  

38 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title on the FCA board?

• Clay Aiken ? I can?t imagine my life without him.
    • Compromise ? I have learned to live with it?.
    • Clay Aiken: not-ordinary, an acquired taste, likened to kitsch ? but has people talking
    • Gah?and stuff
    • He is such a grown-ass Southern-gentlemen type man
    • I love me some Clay Aiken! He (soft) rocks! *g*

Listening again to Clive, he talks about Daughtry, Jennifer Hudson, the songwriters who right from the beginning wrote #1 hits for Clay Aiken through Since U Been Gone and Breakaway for Kelly Clarkson, Fantasia on Broadway, the certification for Carrie selling 6 million, and what a grand job the judges do for the American Idol Album Franchise. Taylor and Kat were given an interesting "they can still do better" moment. Ruben wasn't mentioned at all.

I was prepared to like the show, but it let me down all the way through. I thought Taylor sucked big time. Ruben was uninspired and seemed to struggle at times. So much of the night I was working hard to help these singers hit their high notes. Didn't make it with Midler. Tony Bennett is a national treasure so he gets a pass and he's also mucho cool. Gladys and Smoky fared much better and the medleys worked. Not so with Sgt. Pepper. That was awful except for Carrie doing a nice version of She's Leaving Home. Taylor should be whipped for even attempting A Day in the Life, and Ruben doing Lucy in the Sky was criminal. OK, OK, I know I'm being harsh but I'm picky about my Beatles. I thought at the very least Sir Paul would end it with When I'm Sixty-Four ... this is the year ... but NOOOO, just over with a whimper. And Sanjaya? I can't even discuss that.

So there I am prepared to enjoy the show and be entertained, and there was only one moment in the show for me. Green Day blew me away with Workingclass Hero. That was excellent.

The night was screaming for Clay in my opinion. Taylor walked out unannounced and no one seemed to care; there was little or no audience reaction. If Clay had walked out and sang he would have burned the place down. But I understand Idol's dilemma, they couldn't have Clay stealing three out of their six finales, and certainly not two in a row!

But Clay didn't belong there. It was about the winners this year.

I must have been watching something different because I thought Ruben sounded great on his duet. Didn't see the other since I was watching "Lost".

And I still say Clay "stealing" the show last year wouldn't have bothered the AI powers that be. Any buzz is good buzz as far as they're concerned. Besides, that buzz was as much about Sandecki as Clay. Most didn't even noticed Clay was singing. It really was Sandecki's reaction to Clay that stole the show to most.

That night brings back bad memories for me anyway. It was the night I thought Clay looked so awful. That terrible goth looking hair! OMG I thought I was going to have a meltdown. I hated that hair with the fire of 10 billion suns! I still cringe when I see pictures of it. All the negative comments the media had about his hair? Mine were worse.

Still loved the man. Just really, really, really hated the hair!

The skit hair last night was bit too close to AI5 hair for comfort. Hope that changes before July!

I was glad to see Ruben tonight and he looked pretty good in that suit......until he came out singing Lucy in the Sky, then I thought he looked like he'd rather be doing something else. What was wrong with Bette? She didn't sound so good and she got to sing one of her own songs....OY! I agree with keepingfaith that Green Day's Working Class Hero was the best performance of the night

Well, it's over for another year and YAY! for Clive mentioning Clay. That perked my ears up as I sat in here going over my shiny new Excel summer shenanigans spreadsheet. I love how the maker of my my shiny new spreadsheet (invisible friend Lynda) was kind enough to omit all totals. I don't like to take those blinders off until my butt is firmly in my seat and the lights have gone down in the hall.

But Clay didn't belong there. It was about the winners this year.

I must have been watching something different because I thought Ruben sounded great on his duet. Didn't see the other since I was watching "Lost".

And I still say Clay "stealing" the show last year wouldn't have bothered the AI powers that be. Any buzz is good buzz as far as they're concerned. Besides, that buzz was as much about Sandecki as Clay. Most didn't even noticed Clay was singing. It really was Sandecki's reaction to Clay that stole the show to most.

That night brings back bad memories for me anyway. It was the night I thought Clay looked so awful. That terrible goth looking hair! OMG I thought I was going to have a meltdown. I hated that hair with the fire of 10 billion suns! I still cringe when I see pictures of it. All the negative comments the media had about his hair? Mine were worse.

Still loved the man. Just really, really, really hated the hair!

The skit hair last night was bit too close to AI5 hair for comfort. Hope that changes before July!

Clay's got something for everyone, CG. I joined the fandom for life because of those two minutes last year. Tomorrow is my anniversary ... and I'll celebrate with Climmel tomorrow night!

Everything about him last May 24th amazed, beguiled and enchanted me. From the moment I knew it was him (which wasn't immediately) my heart was racing. All I wanted was for the cameras not to leave him for a second because every angle was gorgeous and powerful. The first wicked smile and the casting of his eyes, the voice that went to my bones and made me gasp, the finger waggle, the dark sexy hair, the sultry eyes, the perfect suit and tie, the posture, the smile, the charm, the walk, the boots, the lighting, the click of his heels, the handshakes, all three of them, the boots, and that smile again .... his taking ownership of a cheap Golden Idol comedy bit by transforming it into something joyous and exhilerating. Truly a transcendental experience for me. I still go there often.

ETA: Did I mention the boots?

Edited by keepingfaith

Well I see a lot of mixed reaction to the finale which is to be expected. Glad Ruben was there and that in the places I've read tonight people were happy to see him. Carrie getting lots of props for having class. I really like her...and you know when her songs pop up on my ipod I actually recognize her voice. I really never thought she had all of this in her.

Oh I loved Clay last year at the finale because he was so shocking. The boy knows how to steal a moment. Yes it took two to make one of the most meorable moment's on television last year but it was a great moment. Personally, I can't really enjoy the Sandecki moment anymore after the mess that followed. Thankfully it didn't overshadow the moment for most of the world.

Almost time for Lost. I have been trying and succeeding in not reading any spoilers.

play, how in the hell do you KNOW these things?

BWAH! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Gross! Just saw AI come on, Ryan talking from the audience to introduce Tony Bennett and the whole time that creepy Constantine is trying to do eyefucks to the camera from behind Ryan.

yuck yuck yuck.....

Tony's a class act! And I think he's got a titanium pair, too, actually....

Personally, I can't really enjoy the Sandecki moment anymore after the mess that followed. Thankfully it didn't overshadow the moment for most of the world.
Lucky for me I had no idea there was any mess ... so it not only didn't overshadow anything for me, it doesn't exist. Guess there is something to be said for ignorance being bliss!!!

It was in the spoiler section of IDF - they get better spoilers than some, so I read that section. The poster was attacked and told to go away liar - She ws going to try to find out who backed out Turns out her aunt was having dinner with an agent YESTERDAY when they were called for emergency help from a panicked AI

I hope they come back and post who it was..

Edited by playbiller

Personally, I can't really enjoy the Sandecki moment anymore after the mess that followed. Thankfully it didn't overshadow the moment for most of the world.

Lucky for me I had no idea there was any mess ... so it not only didn't overshadow anything for me, it doesn't exist. Guess there is something to be said for ignorance being bliss!!!

Yep...which is why I stopped spending time reading every detail on what the gnats are up to over a year ago. It helps some folks I understand that. But it works for me to not really know or care about all the little crazy ass JP details. I'm sure I have an outline and that's more than enough. It's amazing how very very little I hear out here in the real world.

One more thing about Clive and I'll drop it -

I hate the way some in the fandom pick out one word or phrase and act like it's the only thing that defines them. Especially a word that was said once and never repeated, but it seems to justify all kinds of dogmatic pronouncements. I don't mind intelligent, realistic interesting speculation - but so much of the "speculation" is shrill, nasty, hyperbolic, repetitive, pointless and as full of stereotypes no better than the ones people complain about being thrown about with "Claymates".

Clive Davis, hard as it may seem, is not a complete idiot - and frankly I find it hard to believe that he parses his words as much as anyone in the fandom. Yeah, new hit songs sell albums - but I sure he also knows scandals sell albums, movies sell albums, TV exposure sells albums; hell, covers sell albums too. He had a minute to list AI successes, prop up the current judges and emphasize how AI plans to continue to be a juggernaut in the music industry, and I think Clive Davis also knows perfectly well that there wasn't a viewer out there that was gonna make a purchasing decision on whatever Clive said. The music industry is nasty? Welcome to corporate America. Frankly, being nice and fair to everyone is generally not rewarded in CEOs.

I'll lay anyone odds that there are a number of RCA artists screaming bloody murder at the attention anyone from AI gets from Clive and everyone else...Clive mentioned Clay in a positive light, and I believe Clay will still be singing after Clive is buried.

I switched over to Lost [btw, WHOA! - Did not see that ending coming AT ALL], so I missed the second half of Idol, except when I turned back during some of the commercials. I'll have to watch my recording tonight.

I did really enjoy the guys' medley with Smoky, and Gladys sounded great - much better than Dionne Warwick last year. I heard a bit of Clive's speech, but not the whole thing, so I don't have the context yet. That does answer my question about whether he still has any involvement with AI anymore.

Green Day? Really? On AI? Really?

I hate the way some in the fandom pick out one word or phrase and act like it's the only thing that defines them. Especially a word that was said once and never repeated, but it seems to justify all kinds of dogmatic pronouncements. I don't mind intelligent, realistic interesting speculation - but so much of the "speculation" is shrill, nasty, hyperbolic, repetitive, pointless and as full of stereotypes no better than the ones people complain about being thrown about with "Claymates".

Clive Davis, hard as it may seem, is not a complete idiot - and frankly I find it hard to believe that he parses his words as much as anyone in the fandom. Yeah, new hit songs sell albums - but I sure he also knows scandals sell albums, movies sell albums, TV exposure sells albums; hell, covers sell albums too. He had a minute to list AI successes, prop up the current judges and emphasize how AI plans to continue to be a juggernaut in the music industry, and I think Clive Davis also knows perfectly well that there wasn't a viewer out there that was gonna make a purchasing decision on whatever Clive said.

Hee. You go, KAndre! Oh, and WORD. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I haven't watched AI much this season, the odd bit here and there, rarely a full show. I decided to sit down and watch last night because I was interested in who would show up to sing. I was really, really happy to see Ruben given the star treatment. I thought he looked and sounded great. I loved the Green Day cover of Working Class Hero - that was awesome (and I don't generally like Green Day, but I luuuurve me some Lennon). The ending with John's voice gave me goosebumps.

I loved the African Children's Choir. I hated Smoky, Gladys, Tony and Bette. All way past their prime. And seriously - if I wanted to listen to Motown I'd just put in a JBT dvd. Quiana & Angela (not to mention Clay) can sing circles around these people. I don't generally like my Beatles being covered - so some were credible (didn't mind the I Saw Her Standing There duet, and Carrie did a good job on She's Leaving Home) but the rest were horrid. Just.Say.No to Sargeant Pepper medleys.

I'm glad Jordin won. (I have never liked Blake). I hope she does well.

alliesmom2 :bday2:

Oh I loved Clay last year at the finale because he was so shocking. The boy knows how to steal a moment. Yes it took two to make one of the most meorable moment's on television last year but it was a great moment. Personally, I can't really enjoy the Sandecki moment anymore after the mess that followed. Thankfully it didn't overshadow the moment for most of the world.

That's pretty much me as well. Jaws were hitting the floor all over the world that night when he showed up. I loved that. But then, things had to get ruined, and so yeah, I do have a hard time watching that clip anymore.

As for the hair -- it really was too dark that night, IMO. BUT, I think the cut is exactly the same as, say, the ATDW cover. And the hair during the skit is just poofed a bit more than usual, but is really the same as the Gala hair, without the highlights. Or, lengthen it up a bit, and we're back to ATDW hair. (Personally, I can't stand my bangs in my eyes....don't know how he does that!) But then, again, I'm not a hairdresser. I will always contend that his hair is his hair, and he can do with it what he wants....and sometimes his hair does what it wants without his or anyone else's help. *g*

Amen. Looking for clues in one freakin' word is so pointless to me.

Besides -- it's just to me that this focus on what he says, or what Clive says, or what anyone around Clay says, seems to miss the point. I just want to have fun, you know? Pearl-clutching over a word overlooks the fact that Clive mentioned Clay's name in a positive light. Focusing on "mandate" eliminates the joy of that wonderful Tyra appearance. And so on. Frustrating.

I'm gonna have to download the ghoul's speech aren't I. No, I don't think I will. Clay Aiken came out of his mouth and I'lll let the Kat, Taylor and Kelly fans fret about what he might have said about them. heee.

Yep. Hearing that Clive mentioned Clay's name is good enough for me.

I think I'm glad I didn't watch the AI finale. But Lost rawked, even if was watching it in a sickness fog.

... I'll lay anyone odds that there are a number of RCA artists screaming bloody murder at the attention anyone from AI gets from Clive and everyone else...Clive mentioned Clay in a positive light, and I believe Clay will still be singing after Clive is buried.
I've never stopped to consider what the non-AI artists must feel about all the Idol media attention and hoopla for the past five years ... but that's a very interesting point. So many people hate the Idol connection and fear it is a stamp of cheese on one's career, but it has been anything but ... it's been the gold ticket.

One more thing about Clive and I'll drop it -

Clive Davis, hard as it may seem, is not a complete idiot - and frankly I find it hard to believe that he parses his words as much as anyone in the fandom. Yeah, new hit songs sell albums - but I sure he also knows scandals sell albums, movies sell albums, TV exposure sells albums; hell, covers sell albums too. He had a minute to list AI successes, prop up the current judges and emphasize how AI plans to continue to be a juggernaut in the music industry, and I think Clive Davis also knows perfectly well that there wasn't a viewer out there that was gonna make a purchasing decision on whatever Clive said. The music industry is nasty? Welcome to corporate America. Frankly, being nice and fair to everyone is generally not rewarded in CEOs.

I'll lay anyone odds that there are a number of RCA artists screaming bloody murder at the attention anyone from AI gets from Clive and everyone else...Clive mentioned Clay in a positive light, and I believe Clay will still be singing after Clive is buried.

Once again I am reminded why I so easily became your minion - at least most of the time!

I bow down to you! (And we really need a bow down, I am not worthy type emotion here.... :whistling-1: )

Do you know I actually read the words "carefully-coded messages" in a post about Clive's speech???? What is wrong with these people??? Geez!

And "Lost" rocked last night! I cannot stop thinking about it!

(And we really need a bow down, I am not worthy type emotion here.... :whistling-1: )

Ahem....we have one already...it's not big though, so it gets lost in the shuffle....

:worthy:

I agree, usage for KAndre in this instance is warranted!

And "Lost" rocked last night! I cannot stop thinking about it!

Now THIS is something that I like "reading between the lines"! OMG, was that great!

the Clothesoffyourback auction is boring. I guess there will be action on the last day but geesh. Where are the idol fans. And some of those idols need to start paying folks to get the bidding going.

I'ts peaceful in my house this morning because Jordin won. All of my mom's favorites were voted out and I swear the woman was coming up with more conspiracy theories than your average "claymate" I do like to see how all of the idols do out of curiosity. I thought I had it all figured out until Daughtery. And I have no clue why ya'll put exclamation points behind his name. I watched through most of season 4. Of all of those folks I bought albums from Clay, Ruben (gospel), KLO (first one and will buy second one), and Carrie (who I didn' tlike on the show but because a fan later - ok and didn't buy, torrents). But ok I'll go download something of hers with my free downloads I got from for buying Clay tickets. I'll use another one to buy that damn Daughtery song It's not over because I have a fondness for it now because of my Warriors. Last year had high ratings but it didn't guarantee humongous sales for Talyor (although he did ok - and I sitll haven't heard him sing anything but that car commercial over and over and over and over) and Katherine. THings are changing fast in the record industry. Less and less people are going to buy albums when they can download songs they like. This year the ratings are a bit lower but that doesn't mean the winner won't have a wildly successful album. I wish her luck. And that's enough rambling from me about AI.

Heh, my sentiments exactly. I can't really see Derek interacting with any of the characters on PrP. He's a bit of a pod person.

Hey JMH somebody stealing your term over on the GreysAnatomy board. That got my heart pumping this morning.

Happy Thursday.

Happy Birthday Alliesmom2!!

ETA: how could I forget my girl Fanny. I have both her albums. I actually love both of them.

I'm scared......

My website is down......

In fact.... the whole damn hosting company seems to be down......

Was there an earthquake in CA or something that I am not aware of??

:3:

eta: eeeep! the avatar doesn't even show up coss it's hosted at my site!!!

etaa: OH NO!! I found this article:

http://www.thewhir.com/marketwatch/052207_...cfm#commentlist

(but I am not sure what it means.....)

:fca:

Edited by cha cha trusty

Do you know I actually read the words "carefully-coded messages" in a post about Clive's speech????
:lol:

chach, I can get to your site just fine. And I can see your avatar too, but that might be in my cache. What that article means is that googlebot is hitting your hosts servers so many times that they are trying to get them to stop (or at least significantly reduce the crawling that is going on). I have the same problem on getclayaiken. googlebot makes over 30% of my site's hits. They're bandwidth eaters!