#17: The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.

Couch Tomato

Thread Title Poll  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title on the FCA board?

• .ni tif ot ecin os s'tI. driew adink lla er'uoy kniht I.
    • There's a soft rawness to his tone.
    • He has always had the VOICE! But, boy has he ever learned to use his instrument!
    • He's like a chameleon in a kaleidoscope.
    • Let Clay Aiken take you back.
    • I volunteer to polish his balls for him. I bet that would make his putter stand up on end.
    • Blog me Baby!!!
    • I am no-account cover lover.

Good morning!

So...here's something that brought ME up out of my chair last night, and I don't see anyone else talking about it, so it's entirely possible I'm nuts. In AIR, remember the two girls who were there because 1) was the ex-girlfriend and 2) was the current girlfriend of the same guy? There was a fairly extended little piece about them.....

Well, I think this girl....

th_yellowsweatergirl.jpg

was person 1).

Anyone else want to go back, have a look, see what you think?

Good morning!

So...here's something that brought ME up out of my chair last night, and I don't see anyone else talking about it, so it's entirely possible I'm nuts. In AIR, remember the two girls who were there because 1) was the ex-girlfriend and 2) was the current girlfriend of the same guy? There was a fairly extended little piece about them.....

th_yellowsweatergirl.jpg

was person 1).

Nope thats not her...she goes on to be in the wildcard and was pretty friendly with Clay but thats not her.

Anyone want to tell them?
Tell them what?

That they aren't going to risk it...

OK, maybe it's just me, but this show can be capped like any other show, right? Why the secrecy? OK, I know that CH got a special feed, but I am sure that they could vault a regular cap at CU for those who aren't able to get the station....

Good Morning Everyone,

Happy Birthday to all those celebrating and to my daughter Sarah, my baby, who turns 18 today! Where does the time go?

25 Days until Clay is at Lincoln Center Live!

36 Days until Clay Tapes The Skating Special!

56 Days until The Christmas Tour Starts!

82 Days until Christmas in Merrillville!

85 Days until The Skating Special Airs! :whoohoo:

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

Anyone want to tell them?
Tell them what?

That they aren't going to risk it...

OK, maybe it's just me, but this show can be capped like any other show, right? Why the secrecy? OK, I know that CH got a special feed, but I am sure that they could vault a regular cap at CU for those who aren't able to get the station....

I can understand not vaulting it until the end of the weekend, after the show has aired. But I agree, lucky, why not now?

Is CU going to share the special feed?

Pax already has a regular cap up at her site for those without keys. I don't have a link, but I'm sure that those who use it regularly know it.

VWP's wedding was beautiful, and she was GORGEOUS. Her new hubby is handsome and hunky, and sweet, too. We all had a great time socializing, eating and drinking after the wedding! I knew that a few people here would remember her.

I missed that yesterday. VWP got married!!! :clap: I just loved reading her posts at the CH. Such an enthusiastic and smutty Clay fan. She and her friend Hockeydonna had such great times with Clay. Did they leave the fandom altogether? I'm so happy for VWP and her hunky hubby. :F_05BL17blowkiss: Might there be pictures of the wedding?

I chatted with VWP not too terribly long ago on AIM and she is still a fan of Clay, just have a brand new fun life. I have such a poor memory that I mostly remember, not her CH posts, but her story at CV heee...and also meeting her in person. What a doll. HD is a mod at CV.

But yeah, there are a lot of people who have actively left the fandom. Don't really blame them and many people here have come close. . But you don't need it to be a fan of Clay. I've long serpated the two in my mind.

[sv]I think golf is as boring as watching paint dry.[/sv]

or watching grass grow....or painting grass and watching it dry as it grows...

-

Jamar & Luckiest, PPFFTTT! :09: :finger:

th_yellowsweatergirl.jpg

was person 1).

I think she looks like sweater girl. Not so much the brunette from AI2.

KarenEH, money is what makes the world go round. We had to pay a broker to get our visas for Russia because the Russian embassy in San Francisco didn't like to deal directly with the traveler. It worked well so we didn't complain about a few more $$ dollars.

Vaulting of any entire show is a copyright infringement, so it should officially be done no where. The AI Christmas how is not capped anywhere. The entire shows at CU are very very old and, I amy be wrong here, was not originally on that site. I am pretty sure I checked before I uploaded them last yer, but they are there now, except for the non-Clay group songs and auditions.

It is a slippery slope like the Headley stuff that keeps showing up on Youtube, no matter how many times you ask for it to be taken down. It is something we are not supposd to have or share publically, but you need to beat this over some people's head. there are plenty of people who would rather download and watch at their convenience than watch the show and they don't seem to understand that it is out there to get ratings and make money for the stations.

I have not checked to see what the reaction is today since Pax posted and, basically, let them know.

I wish it had been chopped into sections so it would be more shareable.

edited because of missing half the letters

Edited by playbiller

And to add to that... I've hosted full episode American Idol clack of season 2 and it is a nightmare. You take a big chance when you do that because the Idol folks are pretty vigilent about their product. That's why I would put it up and take it down a week later. Many a site has been shut down or threatened for carrying Idol - not just Clay sites but other idol's sites and general american idol sites, whether it be full episodes or just mp3s. We know how to share clack under the covers for those that don't get the show.

Except for sports programming, weekend viewership levels are generally low. However, Rewind seems to do well compared to other non-sports programming available, which is probably why so many stations not only ran the first cycle several times, they picked it up for the second cycle. It's never going to achieve Oprah-level ratings, but I do think there's a good chance that many casual viewers have, and will, catch at least part of the show during the season, especially as many stations are running it more than once per weekend.

True, not everyone will see the opening chyron showing that Clay is narrating, but I do think his voice is distinctive enough that those who don't immediately recognize it may wonder who it belongs to. And it will be interesting to see how he will be incorporated into episodes in which he was actively involved (i.e., Atlanta auditions). My guess is that we'll hear even more of his perspective and personality.

BTW: I like watching golf, especially when Tiger's playing. I'll admit, I don't watch every hole of every tournament (and I missed most of the President's Cup), but I do try to catch at least some of the Majors. I find it compelling, and I've never picked up a golf club in my life.

But yeah, there are a lot of people who have actively left the fandom. Don't really blame them and many people here have come close. . But you don't need it to be a fan of Clay. I've long serpated the two in my mind.

Very true. Being a part of the online fandom and being a fan of Clay are two very different things. There have been times when I've been happier being the latter, rather than the former. In all honesty, there are still times when I question whether being an online fan is the right thing for me.

However, I still enjoy talking about Clay with people who have a similar appreciation. My real life doesn't offer me enough of those opportunities, so I keep getting pulled back in...

Hey FCA!

Sorry I am so hit or miss here. I have skimmed over the weekend post. Did everyone make it through the ehp get together?

I finally got AI Rewind last night at 7:00. :clap: He done good.

Welp...I always think he sounds a bit different from banter to reading something scripted. But some people thought he lost his accent. :idk:

jamar - Hearing his voice last night at first took me back some. I guess when I listen to him live at concert or in clack his voice seems deeper to me. So when he first started talking last night it seemed so high pitched. I thought he sounded great and I loved all the inflections in his voice during the show.

I can't wait until he gets to himself. I thought his southern twang was there as well as his southern charm!!!

I didn't watch AI2 at all so this "rewind" is exciting for me. I bet Clay had never seen a lot of this footage himself before doing this project.

I've been playing around in KarenEh's smugmug albums today. Girl, you do good work. Tasty.gif

It'll always be the Doing Clay Aiken Tour to me!

SummerTour4.gif

cindilu - Ohmygoodness ... this is fabulous! Love it. I also love the morphs. Thank you.

Edited by windstar2

:00003653: ialreadyam!!!!

Welp...I always think he sounds a bit different from banter to reading something scripted. But some people thought he lost his accent. :idk:

Oh, you mean he went Hollywood? Sorry, I don't get that. He still sounded Southern to me, that's for sure!

cindilu2, thank you so much for that cute wallpaper and that adorable morph. My non-widescreen computer is happy. And I'll be looking forward tonight to getting the widescreen version for my laptop!

I've got the day off today, so I've been busy adding files to my iPod. :F_05BL17blowkiss: to all those people who worked hard to compile "Best of's" for so many of the tours. I've still got a LOT of Clay stuff to add!

I've got the day off today, so I've been busy adding files to my iPod. :F_05BL17blowkiss: to all those people who worked hard to compile "Best of's" for so many of the tours. I've still got a LOT of Clay stuff to add!

ldyj, have you added any of the clack videos to your new IPod? I'm in the "trying to figuring it out" stage. When I send them to my ITunes account they disappear. Do you have an advice?

Very true. Being a part of the online fandom and being a fan of Clay are two very different things. There have been times when I've been happier being the latter, rather than the former. In all honesty, there are still times when I question whether being an online fan is the right thing for me.

However, I still enjoy talking about Clay with people who have a similar appreciation. My real life doesn't offer me enough of those opportunities, so I keep getting pulled back in...

JennaZ, don't make us get the cuffs... :pinkhandcuffsf: We need your clear-headed thoughts on the entertainment and TV biz!

Speaking of that, berkeley added her perspective about Clay's narration at CV in answer to another poster's question:

I have a question for those in the industry or really anyone with an opinion about the process that involved Clay's narration. Is it likely that he read from a script without looking at the actual video but just instructed the general nature of what the audience would be viewing? Certainly Clay was reacting to what we were seeing but was he seeing it as well?

cagney, while it's possible he read it cold (with direction as to what kind of scene the narration would accompany), in my experience it is most likely that Clay read his narration to at least a rough cut of the footage. This would be done for a couple of reasons: one, and most important, in order to coordinate the length of the narration to the accompanying scene and, two, to match his tone of voice to the picture.

I've written narration for documentaries, commercials and lifestyle projects, editing and rearranging the words to better support the pictures. The narrator can be directed to say the words in a certain rhythm to coordinate with the action on the screen or with the cuts (edits), use tone of voice to help create a mood, foreshadow upcoming action, summarize the theme of the piece and sometimes suppy in words what is missing in pictures. Because the narrator is (or can be) an additional character in a production, it is essential that the narrator vary his delivery, from rhythm to pitch to speed to intensity, and suggest a mood as well. He should be clear without overenunciating, which is at least as distracting as the viewer having to ask, "What did he say?"

I try to be objective about Clay's professional accomplishments --- there's no point in me thinking that everything he does is perfect, because he's human and it just isn't always so. As a narrator, though, I would rate him at least a strong A-. He really did a superb job with all of the above factors.

ldyjocelyn, have a super birthday!

waves to friends and friends I just haven't met yet...

Random Clay content. I was looking for directions on how to disassemble a cd jewel case (trying to replace a broken case and preserve all the paper items lining the original) and came across a do it yourself video. The artist held up THIS cd and I laughed out loud. So unexpected.

Source: cd jewel case into art

Heh. I've needed to replaced the jewel cases on my active Clay CDs - sensible choice, jewel case chick!

I also think Clay was watching footage as he was narrating - and he sounded about as Southern as he normally does - I think people occasionally over emphasize the prevalence of Clay's accent - I think he occasionally emphasizes it a bit in concert but in most of his interviews that I recall, he does sound a lot like "Narrator Clay".

Hmm. I need to look at the calendar....alter egos are so picky about when it's their turn to spork shine!

ldyj, have you added any of the clack videos to your new IPod? I'm in the "trying to figuring it out" stage. When I send them to my ITunes account they disappear. Do you have an advice?

I only did one video (I'm really planning on using it more for music than video, but I had to see what the picture would look like), and even then it was a few weeks ago. I think you need to check your video library rather than your music library. It should show up there. I put mine in the "movies" section, I believe.

Totally agree with those who say that Clay was at least watching a rough draft while reading his narration. berkley's take on his performance is pretty spot on too, IMO. He really did do a good job with the "lifts" in his voice to suggest foreshadowing, for example. He's got some actor in him....not real polished yet, IMO, but it's there.

BTW, the knee is better, but I'm still staying off of it as much as I can, although I've just GOT to go out this afternoon -- take my car in for an oil change, get some groceries.

:F_05BL17blowkiss: atinal

:bday2:

to Ialreadyam

KAndre...word on perception of Clay's accent. I do think people tend to exaggerate it specially when they write skits for Clay. Most of the time his accent is minimal specially when he is being interviewed.

This is also the first show...he will be narrating most of the audition episodes...and probably whenever it is needed for the Top 12 episodes. So I suppose people will realize it is Clay narrating. I also think his name in the beginning of the show is pretty prominent...easy to see if people see the show from the beginning. I also think he was narrating while watching the video.

I really enjoyed watching the show because there are a lot of parts that I never saw before. I love this season so having Clay;s vocie narrating is a plus. Can't wait to see what he says about his audition...Ryan's original set up was pretty long...