#21: "Surprisingly, the ice did not melt."

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title Poll  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• Clay really is a smorgasbord of yummy goodness. Can I have the drumstick, please?
    • He loved his seconddom, and his seconddom loved him back.
    • I want to be Clay Aiken when I grow up.
    • In this concert's solemn setting, he IS joy.
    • Clay's voice is his niche.
    • Which brings us to Clay Aiken, as most good conversations should.
    • And two weeks ago, I didn't know who Clay Aiken was
    • Ahhhh.....like the first little snowflakes of the season, the first little lip bites of the holiday concerts are just as beautiful...
    • He is who he is and that is what the world gets.. the real Clay.
    • My fangirly is in full blush, yo!
    • He has thrown down a gauntlet, and dared us to pick it up.
    • Sigh, guh, thud, swoon, wonderstruck, overwhelmed, floored, astounded!

Yeah, this sentence, as well as him using the word "signature", really popped out at me too. I really get so sick of people wanting him to define his musical direction. Why does he have to? What's the rush?

Because they would like him to confirm that his "direction" is the same one they've not so subtly been pointing out to him all this time? And if he's even a tad off then it'll be a chance for them to change his course to the one true way to that rocketship/stardom/fame they've always wanted (no matter the cost to his life) so they could affirm the staggering amount of time/effort/angst they've been pouring into his every career move all these years and smugly say "I-told-you-so" to all the "tasteless" morons (critics/djs/family members/acquaintances) who ever dissed them for their choice of idol or the "even bigger tasteless morons" who accepted and appreciated Clay's recent music that didn't past their muster for star quality.

:word::word: :word:

I love being at FCA, where we can speak our minds!

Guess what I found at the grocery store last night? A chocolate pecan pie!! Since I'm doing my Thanksgiving dinner at the last minute (due to DD #1's illness), I decided to make things easy on myself and buy pies. That chocolate pecan pie flung itself REALLY fast into my cart, all by itself! And somehow the chief cook got really hungry while fixing dinner, and had to have a piece of the pie to keep up her strength for all that cooking. It was DELISH. Heeeeee! Think anybody will notice that there's a little, itsy bitsy piece already taken out of the pie? I didn't touch the pumpkin pie, honest! It's just chocolate that I can't resist. Oh, and Clay, too! But he's not at my dinner table, unfortunately.

OK, I visited CV and got a copy of the Spamalot clip and am loading it to 4shared now, while we wait for CH and CU vaults to upload it. It is a holiday, people have aright to have lives, so I ain't complaining. After I have the 4shared clip up, outside to work.

It's nice to have someone in the family who really knows what your devotion feels like. And has a sense of humor about it, too. She told me that she was the first in line to buy Celine's new CD when it came out last Tuesday. I asked her, "Was there really a line?" She laughed and said, "No." Then she said the sales guy asked her if she wanted it double bagged so no one would know what she bought. Sound familiar? I wonder if that was the same place I bought one of my MOAM's a few years back?

Love your story--YAY for your daughter's devotion! Clay should only be so lucky as to be as successful as Celine.

I'll steal your T'Day wishes too, cause they're so pretty!

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone at FCA!!

So, if we're bolding our favorite parts of that one section, here's my contribution:

A. When they talk about direction, I don't ever know what that means. I hope anything I do will just be Clay Aiken. I won't do an album where I'm doing stuff people won't recognize as me. The album I did the last time was an album of love songs from the '70s, '80s and '90s. This will be new music, new songs that will become signature songs. They'll stand up against some of the mess in the market nowadays.

I'm hoping that this will give a clue to some who want to know Clay's "musical direction," that maybe, just maybe, they should let him figure that out first....if he even wants to figure it out. Oh wait, I guess his musical direction must be "Clay Aiken." Good enough for me.

Yeah, this sentence, as well as him using the word "signature", really popped out at me too. I really get so sick of people wanting him to define his musical direction. Why does he have to? What's the rush?

Or, I could just quote zena. *g*

I didn't know what my musical direction was until Clay Aiken sang it.

And that is my expert opinion.... hee.

:deepersnow:

My favorite part of the quote too. Would love to insert it into a board conversation next time someone starts going on and on and on about Clay's musical direction.

Because they would like him to confirm that his "direction" is the same one they've not so subtly been pointing out to him all this time? And if he's even a tad off then it'll be a chance for them to change his course to the one true way to that rocketship/stardom/fame they've always wanted (no matter the cost to his life) so they could affirm the staggering amount of time/effort/angst they've been pouring into his every career move all these years and smugly say "I-told-you-so" to all the "tasteless" morons (critics/djs/family members/acquaintances) who ever dissed them for their choice of idol or the "even bigger tasteless morons" who accepted and appreciated Clay's recent music that didn't past their muster for star quality.

:preachit:

That's alright if your ship mates aren't really pilgrims Fear, because the pilgrims weren't really called the pilgrims either. They called themselves "saints", yep those were our forefathers with their right thinking. Now another factoid I learned on one of the early morning programs is that the "saints" fasted on the day we call Thanksgiving and it lasted for 3 days, so who knows where the turkey part came from. Maybe the Indians ate turkey, but at least they didn't eat the "saints". I got a big chuckle out of those factoids.

Clay and Music...wow what a surprise? It wasn't a big stretch to know that he sings what he likes and he likes those smalzy song, because he sings them so well. Hope the fandom doesn't disappear because he's not going to become the next big rocker or whatever. Makes you wonder what all of those people who want a different direction for him, liked him in the first place? BUT, this is an old conversation so I'll just give as big old wish for everyone who celebrates today

A VERY HAPPY THANKSGIVING

gibby, We'll be bitching over in the he diet/exercise thread on Monday while lucky will probably have lost 2 lbs. Chocolate pecan pie...nmmmmm that sounds dreamy and fattening.

gibby, We'll be bitching over in the he diet/exercise thread on Monday while lucky will probably have lost 2 lbs. Chocolate pecan pie...nmmmmm that sounds dreamy and fattening.

I see my reputation precedes me. ::Hides pumpkin pie under desk:: Yep, that's right, I'll be eating sooooo low-cal tonight.....what? At least I had to walk to get it. :cryingwlaughter: I TOLD you you American Thanksgiving celebrators were making me hungry!

I see my reputation precedes me. ::Hides pumpkin pie under desk:: Yep, that's right, I'll be eating sooooo low-cal tonight.....what? At least I had to walk to get it. :cryingwlaughter: I TOLD you you American Thanksgiving celebrators were making me hungry!

I think i should have a slice or two of chocolate pecan pie in honour of the American Thanksgiving also!! :elephanthugs:

Another sucker person for the diet thread. Eat away christelklein and come join us on Monday because we will need a lot of commiseration. Oh, and bring a piece of two for the rest of us :hubbahubba:

Nice to see you Miss Scarlett....We miss your spirited dialog so don't hide so long next time. :imgtongue:

I think i should have a slice or two of chocolate pecan pie in honour of the American Thanksgiving also!! :elephanthugs:

Another sucker person for the diet thread. Eat away christelklein and come join us on Monday because we will need a lot of commiseration. Oh, and bring a piece of two for the rest of us :hubbahubba:

I like any diet club where i can bring pie!! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I am very very very pleasingly plump!!! :andthetruth:

Slipping in (heh) when I know I should be getting on the road over to my niece's!!!

But a final :hugs-1::elephanthugs::hugs-1: To all!!!

A friend sent me this THANKSGIVING DINNER CALORIE COUNTER (EAYOR)

[scroll down to Thanksgiving Calorie Counter link]

to tell you how far you'll have to walk to work off the dinner you are about to eat!!

I'm doomed - you'll never see me again!! :cryingwlaughter: I'll have to walk 27 miles and that's before the wine I'm gonna drink!!

HAPPY TURKEY DAY EVERYONE!!

and CG -- thanks to the "Eight Shows a Week" Parody!! I've been playing Beatles on my commute this week - I'll be singing it all day!! :F_05BL17blowkiss: :F_05BL17blowkiss: :F_05BL17blowkiss: :F_05BL17blowkiss:

eta: is anyone making Hot Pineapple Salad??????? :cryingwlaughter:

Happy Thanksgiving, y'all!

We're going to my brother's place for dinner, and I'm bringing a green bean casserole and this sweet potato casserole. I've never made it before, so keep your fingers crossed!

I, too, am thankful for FCA. I was just about ready to log off the whole online fandom until I found this haven.

Thanksgiving Dinner at Casa Muski

Roast Turkey--unstuffed and simply cooked with occasional basting

Gravy made from pan drippings and giblets (not the liver though, yuck), etc.

Trader Joe Stuffing mix---with added apples and nuts

Mashed Potatoes

Succotash

Spiced Sweet Potato Casserole with cinnamon and brown sugar and chopped pecans

Brown & Serve Dinner Rolls

Canned Cranberry Sauce

Store-Bought Pumpkin, Apple and Sweet Potato Pies with French Vanilla Ice Cream and Cool Whip

Strawberry/Banana jello salad made with strawberries, bananas, pineapple and pecans added with layer of sour cream in the middle

wine

No, this dinner doesn't include many 'homemade' things, but it's good and everyone in the family has something they do to make it happen, and during the day we have time to sit around and do nothing together or watch football and parades on television and maybe do some practice softball pitching and dog walking together outside...It's a sparkling, crisp, absolutely BEAUTIFUL day here today! :clap:

I'm cool with it the way we do it.

Have a Happy Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

There is no way in hell I'm following that calorie counter link for today..not when I just put a whole cube of butter in my macaroni and cheese...okay maybe half a stick. sigh.

Anyway, it was so good to drag out of bed and see so many posts today. Thought it would be empty.

I finished most of my major cooking last night but don't have a clue how anything tastes cuz I can't taste a thing becaue I'm so congested. I need to be able to taste to cook well LOL. I hope this food taste ok..but nor worried cuz the only people eating is me, my mom and my sister and her fast food family. They'll be so happy for home cooking they won't notice if it's only 80%. hee

KarenEh I woke up somewhere around 4am...and I read your post. I had NO idea what you were talking about with regards to Celine so googled to see the background. I guess there are always people trying to pull you down. I'm sorry for your daughter and other fans that will miss out and glad you have someone who understands your Clay thing.

Scarlett, your post made me smile just cuz it came from you. and who said we don't say word around here. LOL. WORD TO THE THIRD heee.

I love you guys. Don't know why I"m feeling emotional. Last night I watched my private practice around midnight and was crying like a baby watching it. I never do that. LOL. Sigh. Maybe a day of eating and watching movies my sister picked out will cure me. hee.

Cindy, yes pins are in. CUTE... wish we had made them 1/2inch larger but live and learn.

Everyone, have a good thanksgiving and day if you're working way up North.

OK better go get ready.thanks for the clay snippet Play.

See ya'll in the diet thread tomorrow!!

eta - What is succotash

ETAA: I noticed that green bean casserole is part of many people's thanksgiving but it's never been part of mine. My sister did find a receipe we were going to try today but decided that the greens and green salad was enough green stuff LOL. So, if anyone wants to share their receipe... thank you. hee.

Corn and Lima Beans. Yum!

Couchie, you and I share the fact that our sisters are about as polar opposite as possible to our own selves. :lol:

I'm going to her house too. I usually do all the cooking, but this year I told her she had to cook on her own. Can't wait to see what we get. LOL!

Have fun, ya'll.

:F_05BL17blowkiss:

Wee... top of the world!

Couchie, succotash is a mixture of cut corn and lima beans cooked with milk (sometimes with tomatoes, too). My hubby refuses to eat Thanksgiving dinner without it, although it's not a fave of mine. Our dinner is noticeably missing lots of green things, only because....well...because he wants this instead! :cryingwlaughter:

And I refuse to talk diet, calories, fat grams or anything else today. That's all I'm sayin' 'bout that! :whistling-1:

Oooh, JennaZ! Thanks for the tip re: sweet potato casserole. This has always been my mom's contribution to the dinner, but now she can't remember her own recipe, so we'll use one of the ones I saw at the website you linked to! :F_05BL17blowkiss: I'm baking the sweet potatoes now!

Gobble, gobble, y'all! :F_05BL17blowkiss: :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I'm not thinking about diet or exercise at all today. I figure I deserve to eat whatever I want once in awhile, ya know? And since I'm usually pretty careful about what I eat, and exercise pretty regularly, I really don't think I'll gain weight from one day of having a good time. So, maybe I should go eat another piece of chocolate pecan pie. Heeeee! :cryingwlaughter:

Muski, your Thanksgiving meal sounds a lot like mine! Except we're having green bean casserole instead of succotash, and we're having sweet potato fries instead of mashed potatoes. Those fries are really yummy, and they're sooooo easy to make! I also put a wonderful cranberry-apple hot drink in my crock pot this morning. I use cranberry and apple juice, cinnamon sticks, whole cloves (in a tea ball, so I can get them out later) and brown sugar. YUMMMM! I make a large quantity, so that everyone can enjoy several cups throughout the day.

Muski, your Thanksgiving dinner sounds divine!

Green bean casserole is one of those dishes I just love on Thanksgiving, and as my sister-in-law asks for it, too, I make it every year. In it's most simple form, it's a can of cream of mushroom soup, a large can of French fried onions, and green beans. Here's a selection of recipes. I usually use the basic recipe, but start with cooked fresh beans, and add sauteed shallots and mushrooms.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. There's less gift-buying pressure than Christmas, I adore all the traditional foods, and it's a great time to appreciate all that we have.

Couchie, I hope you feel better soon! Congestion is no fun during the holidays!

Gibby, I'd love to try that cranberry-apple hot drink, one day. Sounds wonderful!

I think I'll make a pasta and bean soup to go with my tofurkey sandwich. It has ditalini and zucchini and cannellini beans and tomatoes (I use fire-roasted because I love the favor) and spices and stuff like that. Normally that and a salad would be dinner, but since this is Thanksgiving, I'll have a tofurkey sandwich to go with it.

Aren't you all jealous?

The sad thing is, I have nothing for dessert!

*I'm* jellus.

Without even knowing it, twin, you've inspired and reconnected me to my own resolutions. Even if you don't have much to be thankful for; many beings (including me) are thankful for you.

Off to my sister's. I made the cranberry relish (with lots of orange and vanilla) because I neeeeed more than canned. And brussells sprouts because everyone else hates them. LOL!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING FCA!!!!!

I do envy the US for their thanksgiving celebration. The Canadian Thanksgiving is just never as huge. I have my usual American Thanksgiving tradition... I usually will be home to watch all the parades and the endless food shows and segments featuring traditional food...they all look so yummy. Today...I was working for the first time in 5 years so I missed the parades...

Karen eh...the Celine/Halifax controversy has been a topic of discussion in our school staff room for the past few days. I am so sorry that your daughter was affected and I am thrilled that she will get to see her idol anyway.

BWAH this paragraph made me laugh and nod my head so vigorously that I now have a headache....

I don't think he has to give up ballads to have a more contemporary sound. There are actually quite a few highly successful ballads on the charts.

Take a recent favorite of mine, "Hey There, Delilah" by Plain White T's. Very simple song, but very earnest. Lover All Alone isn't that different. I could see those words having broad appeal, especially with younger listeners who feel they haven't found "The One," and who hope they will. However, LAL is arranged with piano and violins, which is beautiful, but a little less hip. If he were to use more of a guitar arrangement, his voice could still stay front and center, but the song might have a somewhat more contemporary feel.

I don't see Clay as a rock star. However, I do think that there is a way to make his music appeal to a broader audience without obscuring his voice or abandoning his creative center. IMHO, it's not necessarily about fast songs vs. slow songs. It's more about the arrangement and production, about finding the right sound.

WORD!!!

I was thinking about the dilemma of how to make Clay's sound more contemporary and yet true to himself. I do believe he started trying to sing with different placement and not relying on big notes in a lot of the ATDW songs. IMO...Clay's glory notes may be thrilling, but it can make him sound dated at times. Huge male voices like his seem to be rare in pop nowadays. We usually would hear either high falsetto voices of JT and Robin Thicke variety or rocker voices that have a hard edge when they sing. I do believe a lot of the younger audience associate Clay's type of voice with Broadway or with old folks music (my girl's terms, hee). I find they are not that discriminating about the voices anymore if the song has a hook, a beat or cool and interesting lyrics. So I can see him trying out a few mellow songs in similar styles as LAA, HYCA, Sorry.

I do believe he can still go for the big glory notes if he tries a more contemporary approach to the production. I think going New Agey or putting celtic feel to the music is a good way...which he tried for BW and the Robin hood song...Or trying more guitar and synthesizers like Invisible, which had quite a bit of glory notes too. Or more acoustic like piano and simple guitar. In the end I see him going for a similar sound as Five for Fighting or even John Mayer with a bit more range

This post was brought to you by speculation R'US.....

(((claygasm))) and others that find the Holidays to be difficult.

My turkey breast is cooking, my pie is done, all I have left to do is wait!! The turkey smells wonderful.

While I wait, does anyone know where I can find Clay's version of "Mary Did You Know" with the snaps at the beginning?

Thanks in advance.....

Happy Thanksgiving!

I think I'll make a pasta and bean soup to go with my tofurkey sandwich. It has ditalini and zucchini and cannellini beans and tomatoes (I use fire-roasted because I love the favor) and spices and stuff like that. Normally that and a salad would be dinner, but since this is Thanksgiving, I'll have a tofurkey sandwich to go with it.

Aren't you all jealous?

The sad thing is, I have nothing for dessert!

Ooooh, pasta and bean soup! Sounds delicious. Seriously. One of my favorite soups is lentil soup. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

ETA: Mmmmmm, we just had our lovely turkey meal. It was so relaxed and enjoyable! I love my Mom to pieces, but she's all uptight when we have a meal at her house, 'cuz she wants it to be perfect. Today we ate at home instead of at Mom's house, just took our time and had a lovely meal together.

I'm working on my Clay! Live! Christmas CD now. I've fallen in love with JNT '05 Clearwater Mimefan WAV files. The audio is sooooooooooo good! I might make a CD with just those files! I'm certainly going to add them to my ipod.

But I want to make another CD with my favs from other concerts, too. I'd like to include some of the songs from the Capital One Holiday on Ice. Has anybody here listened to the audio from the different clack gatherers? I'm wondering which one has the best audio. I like Spots audio, of course, but I don't know if anybody else's files are better quality.