#21: "Surprisingly, the ice did not melt."

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title Poll  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• Clay really is a smorgasbord of yummy goodness. Can I have the drumstick, please?
    • He loved his seconddom, and his seconddom loved him back.
    • I want to be Clay Aiken when I grow up.
    • In this concert's solemn setting, he IS joy.
    • Clay's voice is his niche.
    • Which brings us to Clay Aiken, as most good conversations should.
    • And two weeks ago, I didn't know who Clay Aiken was
    • Ahhhh.....like the first little snowflakes of the season, the first little lip bites of the holiday concerts are just as beautiful...
    • He is who he is and that is what the world gets.. the real Clay.
    • My fangirly is in full blush, yo!
    • He has thrown down a gauntlet, and dared us to pick it up.
    • Sigh, guh, thud, swoon, wonderstruck, overwhelmed, floored, astounded!

OK, come on Clay, lets get those emails flowing! Gotta give people at least a couple of days notice about story readings and M&Gs and stuff, ya know?

YES!!! I've been checking my emails, oh, once or twice a day, to see if I won a M&G. Well, maybe a little more often than that. :) I probably won't win, but it sure would be nice if I did. And I'm going to Wichita, which is only a few days away!

I can't believe it's only days until the first concert...and I'LL BE THERE!!!!!!!! :XmasRed:

I'll be there, too!!! I've never been to a first concert. It will be great fun!!

I finished most of my Christmas shopping this morning, in the easiest way possible - online. The internet is a wonderful thing! I emailed everyone last week to find out what they all wanted for Christmas, and ordered most of it this morning. I'm having the presents gift wrapped and sent directly to the lucky recipients, which makes it super easy for me, since we have a ton of relatives that live out of state. Now I need to put together my annual calendar of pictures of my kids for the grandparents and great-grandparents. It's their favorite Christmas present!

Have a great trip, Muski! We'll be visiting a couple universities with DD #1 very soon.

Is tres leches Cuban? I always thought it was Mexican (have had for the last 30 years).

My aunt Beulah is my grandmother's sister too! At 91, she still participates in professional Scrabble tournaments (came in second in her division). Very active, perfectly mobile - flew down from Portland with her baby brother - he's only 83.

Couple of good thread titles out of that article!

My son has decided on his farewell dinner tomorrow (he flies out Sunday morning heading back to Japan) - lasagna (which I do make, and pretty damn good if I say so myself), bottle's Apple Brown Betty (which he is still insisting that I made for him once when he was three - my child is simply delusional), Caesar salad, and a nice Chianti for the dinner and Champagne for afterward, since I'm going to miss his 21st birthday. Squash will be missing in its entirety.

Tht Washington post is a nice mention and so unlike them. I do like that motto about secondness, I think it will be the thread title in a lot of places unless soemthing better comes up in the next blog.

Happy day after TG! Hope everyone has recovered from over eating. Not my problem this year, but I did make some kitchen progress. I am delaying fixing under the sink since it is such a problem, I need to do some major sawing and I always stay out of the stores.

As to the woot, I have bought a lot of things from them, but I did have to struggle with a refurbished printer for about a month to get the printer's company (through it's step by step never vary from the script call center).

I do agree that the blogs will slow down after the holidays with Clay on tour and then away and then rehearsing and then 8 shows a week.

So how many people that are going to Spamalot expect to be stage door Janies?

Seriously, it's spooky quiet here. Clay, dude, want me to help screen some Christmas stories or something? I'm available! Call me!!

If I'm reading the 'code' correctly, at least one more CV'er received an email in regards to their story today. So I think stuff is happening, it's just being kept on the down low. Now, how about hitting send on those M&G emails, OFC? No need to keep those celebrations under wraps!

Turporken? Turducken?? How about TurImgonnastrokeoutfromcholesteraloverdosen?

Y'all are Turgrossen me out!!!

:cryingwlaughter:

BWAH, me too. Most of the office went out for a Turducken lunch yesterday. I stayed here and ate pasta. Mixing meats just seems so wrong. :cryingwlaughter:

Which brings us to Clay Aiken, as most good conversations should.

He loved his seconddom, and his seconddom loved him back.

definitely both thread title nominations!!

My re-cooking of the pumpkin pie worked quite nicely....why yes, I just had a piece with whipped cream, why do you ask?????

:lilredani:

LOL...

Sounds like most everyone had a great day yesterday. Jenna - I would pay money to see you singing karaoke!

Anyone go shopping at 4am???

Can you tell I am delaying going to work???

I would pay to see her too!!

As I hate shopping...I really avoid shopping on this day. No amount of enticement can get me out there. But I'm still looking forward to the Mall of America!!

And my typo CG meant to say THANKS For the soup recipe.

I'm also very thankful for finding such a great place to hang out in the clayfan world. Thank you all for accepting me and sometimes even responding to my posts. Hee. Most of the time I'm just reading along nodding and agreeing.

---- can't believe it's only days until the first concert...and I'LL BE THERE!!!!!!!! :XmasRed:

We love you too Jamar!! We're glad you popped over and then brought some of your friends too!! It's been great getting to know everyone this year.

And I'm so out of the loop. I didn't realize the concerts started Monday. WHy did I think they started on his birthday..well until Puddin's PM'd me. Anyway, I'm going to the post office shortly to mail pins. Ended up doing most of the envelop stuffing last night when I got home and then couldn't go to sleep. I'm sorry I couldn't get them out sooner.

i edit therefore i am

bwah

Squash? I LOVE squash -- let me count the ways ...

me too!!

Turporken? Turducken?? How about TurImgonnastrokeoutfromcholesteraloverdosen?

Y'all are Turgrossen me out!!!

:cryingwlaughter:

BWAH, me too. Most of the office went out for a Turducken lunch yesterday. I stayed here and ate pasta. Mixing meats just seems so wrong. :cryingwlaughter:

Unless of course, it's on a bacon-cheeseburger, or a sausage and pepperoni pizza :whistling-1:

Which brings us to Clay Aiken, as most good conversations should.

Far as I'm concerned, you can change it to this right now. I love it!!!

Was stupid enough to go out and shop at 4:00Am this morning......... :Ahh:

What was I thinking? Oh yeah. I needed to save money because it has been an expensive year for me. Strict budget for me, for awhile. No concert this Christmas for me either. Got some great bargains and most of it done, but holy cow. I've never seen so many people out like that. Parking was a nightmare, not to mention the looooong waits in lines to check out. I'm talking 30-45 minutes. I love a good bargain but I don't know if I will do that again. I did get a couple of men's zip up front, hoodies. Regularly $40.00 for $15.00 each. Also got some nice fleece lined long sleeved pullover suede polos, regularly $30.00 for $10.80 each. Can you believe it? Burberry scarfs for $10.00 each, and Boys Pjs for $5.00. Also got a ton of movies at Wally World for $2.96 each. WOW. Some good ones, too, although they are not real current releases, of course.

Good luck to everyone else who is bargain hunting. Stick a fork in me, because I am done for the rest of the day. :cryingwlaughter:

You're a brave woman, Clayzor! But I'm impressed with the great bargains you got. Good for you!

Hubby and I went to Best Buy on Black Friday a couple of years ago. We went there at 3:00 AM, and were 20th in line to wait until the store opened at 5:00 AM. It was like a party out there! We had fun, and bought a bunch of electronics for bargain basement prices. It was fun to do it once, but we aren't eager to do it again! I'm still using the laptop I got for a super-duper low price that year.

Does the zucchini in the angel hair pasta mess I just nuked for my lunch count as squash? :nanas:

Seriously, it's spooky quiet here. Clay, dude, want me to help screen some Christmas stories or something? I'm available! Call me!!

what's in a name...chitterlings sound downright yummy LOL

MMMM Turporken...I wonder if that is like my dads stuffed chicken, where he debones his chicken and stuffs it full with this ground pork (pretty much like embutido), marinates in soysauce and lemon mixture and baked....

and Tres leches...is this similar at all to leche flan???

and Karaoke? was this with the magic mic???

Turporken is an alternate version of Turducken - turkey stuffed with duck stuffed with chicken. I think it's kind of a cajun recipe. My sister-in-law ordered it online. But I think I've had something similar to what you discussed. My mom calls it, "galantina." (sp?)

Tres leches is a cuban dessert of cake soaked in three milks (regular, condensed, and evaporated) and topped with a meringue icing. Delish!

And yes, the karaoke is with what they call the "magic sing."

Ansa, I know what you're describing and I used to make them (chicken relleno) every Christmas before we came to the US. Deboning a chicken sounds more difficult than it really is.

JennaZ, is the "magic sing" the all-in-one mike that you just plug into any TV -- and it gives everyone a score based on keeping with the beat and the main melody? That one's fun because it counts melisma as "mistakes" and so the better singers get slapped with scores of 50 or below (I think Quiana would get a 20 and a "Why don't you try singing?!!" comment).

Per National Geographic, turducken was invented in 1985 by Sammy and Junior Hebert (pronounced "A-bear"). There's an ehP member close to each of their stores here (Woodlands-Shenandoah for merrieeee, Galleria for KAndre and Dairy Ashford for Kareneh & me).

Seems I neglected a group of people who also insist on finding out what Clay's musical direction is, the "Too cool for Clay Aiken" media guy:

A***** media guy: We really must know, Clay. We absolutely insist and we're going to keep asking until you tell us. What is your musical direction?

Clay Aiken: But why do I even have to have one? And why do you need to know?

A***** media guy: Well we're all confused. First we thought you were Broadway material and we had a good laugh over that.

A***** media guy: But you didn't go to Broadway and some cool people like Fantasia did.

A***** media guy: So we had to turn on you for doing covers but then Rod Stewart did the same thing and we like him.

A***** media guy: Now we hear that you're going Broadway after all but not the way we thought.

A***** media guy: We need a target, er, guidance.

Clay Aiken: I fart in your general direction.

A***** media guy: (gasps!)

Clay Aiken: Ooops, did I say that our loud? I was just memorizing something. Gotta go to rehearsal now. Bye!

Whoever talked about chocolate pecan pie was evil!!!! And there's still half of one in the fridge -- how can I survive tonight?

That was me talking about the chocolate pecan pie, Scarlett. Yes, it was evil to talk about it. And it was maybe even foolish for me to buy it in the first place, 'cuz most everybody here is eating the pumpkin pie instead. Which means I have this whole pie to myself, and it's been calling my name. All day yesterday, and all day today. And yes, I've eaten several pieces. :naughtywag: But oh, my, is it goooooood!

I'm having fun puting a Clay!Live! Christmas CD together. I converted Spot's Holiday on Ice videos to WAV files. The mp3s were available for download, but I think the WAV files sound better. I clipped off some of the extraneous noise and call-outs from the beginning and ending of the clips, to make it more pleasant for listening. I'm a stickler for audio quality, and I just discovered mimefans' audio from JnaT 2006 Jacksonville. She does such a great job with audio, so I'm going to include some of her files, too! One of these days I just might have my CD ready!

waves to sheiladownunder..I think it's me and you kid. Everybody else... out for the night... ETA:

spoke too soon.. .look like some folks just rolling in.

ETA Hey Jenna... oh to hear you do karaoke! Glad you had fun! Our drink of choice this holiday was cranberry margarits and I did one tequila shot.

Hey!! I was "out for the night" in more ways than one!!

Around this time (3am ET) my niece convinced me to lie down on the couch at her house.

(I TOLD you I would be drinking some wine!!)

But I wasn't the only one, she and my SIL had to wrestle my DD#4 off the couch and upstairs before I could lie down. So we three all spent the night. My hubby had gone in a separate car since I wasn't ready and his mother, brother and family were due at my niece's probably a little ahead of schedule! (I arrived about an hour later!)

We had food out the ying-yang! And there 22 people, my niece borrowed some tables and moved her couch into the breakfast nook and set up 4 tables in the living room.

Here's what we had!

• turkey

ham

sweet potatoes

mashed potatoes

gravy

mashed rutabagas (ugh but my BIL insists)

rotkraut (red cabbage with apples)

mac and cheese

a lovely layered squash dish with yellow and green squash, layered with tomatoes and onions and sprinkled with parmesan cheese - it was YUMMY and so pretty! It looked like the Rattatoille (sp) did in that movie of the same name. (Cute Movie!! Hubby loved it!)

Rolls and butter

Tons of stuffing (I made tons of stuffing - outside of the bird for the veggies)

tons of appetizers that were mostly gone when I got there

lots of green veggies: brussel sprouts, green beans, some steamed mix that came out of a special frozen bag, and few others I can't remember!

and the wine flowed freely!!

I'm sure I missed something...... oh yeah ...... dessert!!

pecan pie, apple pie, pumpkin pie, chocolate cake, ice cream and cookies!

more wine and coffee!!

I wanted to make Green Bean Casserole, but was asked to do Sweet Potatoes instead. I made a new recipe which requires you to peel and cube the potatoes - which is HARD!!! and Time-Consuming!! But Worth It! Because it tasted FINE!!! Then you coat them with oil and bake in the oven and add maple syrup and bake some more - YUMMY!!

HERE's the recipe for those....

I just got off the phone with Diva and she's excited about her little party the night before the DC concert. Will anyone from here be in town?? I could offer a ride to the party or a sleepover at my house if anyone wants to go!! PM me, and we can make arrangements, or if you have a car, and and need addresses and directions!!! PLEASE COME - IT'LL BE A BLAST! :F_05BL17blowkiss:
(quote added for emphasis!)

PS - I might have an extra ticket to the DC concert too...... :imgtongue:

This makes me miss my Filipino friends in Bathurst...we almost always end every get together with either Karaoke or Mahjong.

Well I was pretty happy with our supper last night...a very healthy supper of panfried Tilapia, stirred fired vegetables with shrimp, sauted spinach and Basil tomato rice, Uncle Ben's natural select...I highly recommend it. Very easy to make and very flavorful.

I'll give natural select a try. Sounds good. I have a traditional Thanksgiving feast. Although to tell the truth, I'd rather eat out but I love left overs. So I cook , a lot so I can have left overs. :cryingwlaughter:

Anyway, I miss mahjong too. Pilipinos here in Vegas play big time. I can't afford their games. I like to play for fun not for money, so I miss mahjong.

Clay Aiken: Ooops, did I say that our loud? I was just memorizing something. Gotta go to rehearsal now. Bye!

BWAH, thanks for the laugh today!

I wanted to make Green Bean Casserole, but was asked to do Sweet Potatoes instead. I made a new recipe which requires you to peel and cube the potatoes - which is HARD!!! and Time-Consuming!! But Worth It! Because it tasted FINE!!! Then you coat them with oil and bake in the oven and add maple syrup and bake some more - YUMMY!!

Your squash dish looks yummy! But the link for the sweet potatoes isn't working.....

BWAH, thanks for the laugh today!

Your squash dish looks yummy! But the link for the sweet potatoes isn't working.....

ooops - the wrong link got pasted!!

Here's the right one! MAPLE-GLAZED SWEET POTATOES

(fixed the other one too) :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Scarlett - that "interview" is hilarious!! BWAH!!!

BWAH Scarlett!!!

oh yeah those magic sing or mic are so much fun and so convenient too. My girls bring it to their school and everyone wants one but I don;t have any idea where they can get it. My daughter found a trick for the score...just sing lou and close to the mic...she gets 90 scores even when she does not know the song.

Leeana...we are totally in the .25 cents league with Mahjong. My friends have this pile of coins that circulates among them...its so much more fun when we don't worry about losing money.

That squash dish looks good.