#25: TONIGHT'S THE KNIGHT! Knock 'em not-quite dead!

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title for FCA?

• "Irreverent, surprisingly fearless, a total delight and a surprise!"
    • He is not perfect, he is just right!
    • But Clay turned it on, as he always does.
    • I?ve got my Clay Aiken boogie board. Bring it.

He had a gorgeous blonde by the arm and he said "This is Pam" and somethingsomethingsomething which I couldn't hear. Some said it was "and we're engaged"

And this is how rumors get started! Like he would announce his engagement that way! :cryingwlaughter:

ETA: This is sooooo cool from HotMomof5 on CH:
on the train from New Haven to NYC, starting at Bridgeport and all the way in, there were ads at the stations for Spamalot-the poster that is 'What A Difference A Clay Makes'.
:clap:

I forgot to mention that almost the whole way to NY from Trenton on NJ Transit at every station there was a poster like that - and some stations had two! I was also told they were at the stations on the Long Island railroad.

I want one of those posters!!

Those blinkie people? They need their lights punched out!! (Hee! Aren't I funny???)

I cannot wait to see this show again!

ETA: From the CH via CV - Mike Nichols and Diane Sawyer leaving "Spamalot"

mikeanddiane.jpg

I'll give a pass to anyone with a blinky under the age of 21....but I'm willing to bet my life that the blinky wavers were WAY past 21.

Of course, I could be wrong.

GAH!! This pic is a killer. Be sure to completely enlarge it - it's huge. You can see the black eyeliner and the stubble on his chin. I love how he's looking to the side, and how his hair is blowing in the wind. The whole look is extremely sexy.

20080120.jpg

Report from AnAmeraikenInTX (lucky girl!):

My seat tonight was the one whose occupant goes up onstage as the winning peasant!! What an experience!! Man, the sound of all those voices right there beside and behind you as something else. I was trying to hear if Clay's was louder, but they just all blended so beautifully. After I realized this might be me tonight (we were also hearing they rotate between A/D 101), I tried not to do anything to embarrass Clay Nation or Clay. I hope that was accomplished! You absolutely cannot see into the audience, or maybe it's just much, with those bright lights bearing down. What a fun experience! After the show, while we were at Junior's to eat, two ladies stopped by and said hello, saying I didn't know them, but they'd been at Spamalot too and recognized me! This whole weekend has been one of the very best times of my life, and I can't wait until it's time to come back!!! Get thee to Spamalot during Clay's run if there's anyway on God's Green Earth that you can!!! I don't have a scanner or access to one, but will try to get my pic from tonight posted soon.

I also took video at the stage door last night, tonight, and some this afternoon and will get them shared as soon as possible. The internet here at our hotel has been very sucky for me, and my upload attempts to the vault failed earlier today. I was taking an overall view and on the evening times, got the entire time Clay was out there, which was just under 5 minutes last night, and nearly 4-1/2 tonight. He also braved that cold this afternoon for about 4-1/2 minutes as well. I got it, but the first 3-1/2 is not sharp. I didn't get a setting made on the camera. I think it is ok to share though, it's just not as good as the other two. He's such a doll. And a gorgeous one at that, in every way.

I'll give a pass to anyone with a blinky under the age of 21....but I'm willing to bet my life that the blinky wavers were WAY past 21.

What is a blinky?

Blinkies are blinking lights. At one time some fans had blinkies with hearts on them. Apparently these spelled out Clay and Awesome from what I have read. They are tacky attention grabbers, IMO.

Awwwwwwww, he is just beaming. I am so happy for him that he's having a blast and getting great audience reactions. I hope he can relax today and recoup.

ETA: From what I've read elsewhere, the blinky lights spelled out "A W E S O M E", not Clay. And Clay spoke to the girls/women (not sure of their age) at the stage door, and only commented that the words read backwards from the stage. Personally, if they only wore them for the curtain call, and they were not Clay-centric, I'm not seeing a big problem. The show is awesome (by all accounts). Just my opinion.

Awwwwwwww, he is just beaming. I am so happy for him that he's having a blast and getting great audience reactions. I hope he can relax today and recoup.

ETA: From what I've read elsewhere, the blinky lights spelled out "A W E S O M E", not Clay. And Clay spoke to the girls/women (not sure of their age) at the stage door, and only commented that the words read backwards from the stage. Personally, if they only wore them for the curtain call, and they were not Clay-centric, I'm not seeing a big problem. The show is awesome (by all accounts). Just my opinion.

I think one spelled awesome, one spelled clay and another superlative...

here are some more reports from CH:

from merrieee:

Guys I have to correct something I just read.....When I spoke to Clay about his accent he did not answer me in a British accent, just his normal gorgeous NC one!

Also we did have great fun but we did not try to clayvert the waiter. He is a huge Dixie Chicks fan and we were giving him great hints on how to work Ticketmaster to get good seats! We are experts at that*g* He just loved our tip at the end!!!! Hee!I think he will like Clay fans from now on!!

I wish that this weekend would never end. It was really great. I am so happy for Clay. He appears to have the world at his feet.

Now I really have to get to bed so I can get up in 2 hours to fly home!!!!! More later when I recover.

Thanks for letting me cellcert. It was a real challenge this time. Lots of pressure*g* Glad you liked it.

From GBB:

From BFS at CV re the stage door: "Sir Galahad -Christopher Sieber is very cute and signed autographs and said i better do these now before Clay comes out b/c after that you won't want me"

"Clay was very cute tonight, he teased a few young girls, who i later witnessed squealing down the street..."

From Artquest:

The minstrels are singing about Brave Sir Robin and all the awful bloody things that can happen to him. When the minstrel begins to say what can happen to his penis, Sir Robin stops him and the crowd laugh. The previous three shows, Clay began his next line while the crowd was still laughing. As a result, we couldn't really hear the line. Tonight he waiting until the laughter began to die before he said his line. This is just an example of the kinds of improvements we saw.

From Permaswooned:

Note on the blinky lights....they were behind me, so I didn't get the full effect until the end and outside by the stage door. These are the ones that a person spins above their head. I remember one or two from an earlier tour -- IT???? NAT????

They didn't just spell "CLAY", I saw one that spelled "AWESOME", and one that spelled out some other superlative. I can't remember what. I had no idea they were actually used at some time before the end of the show. Really??? I'm shaking my head in disbelief.

I think that the cast is starting to "get it" about one of the best aspects of the Clay fandom, and that is that many of us are willing to spread the love around. There are lots of wigs and makeup in this show, so it's easy to miss some of the cast. However, by the third show day, our intrepid band of frozen fans are able to start to pick them out.

They exit and start to pass the crowd, but people call out to them and ask for autographs. They call them by their real names. They tell them how much they enjoyed their performances. Tonight someone called out to Christopher Sieber that they enjoyed his appearance on "Pushing Daisies". He was STUNNED that someone would have known that he had done that and recognized and acknowledge him for it.

One of my favorites in the cast is Tom Deckman who plays Prince Herbert and various other hilarious parts. I dearly hope that all of you still coming to the show get to see him. Most of the stage door fans LOVE him. Anyhoo, he got stopped for autographs and people wanted their pictures taken with him. One person after another told him how great he was in the show.

He was signing a playbill for someone in front of me, and he responded to someone by saying:

"You guys are amazing!! You are so supportive. I can't tell you how appreciative ALL of us are for that".

It was a love fest this weekend, y'all. Hope you all got to feel a bit of what it was like.

More tomorrow, including Perma's guide on where to sit for best views of what's under the tunic. *g*

From Spotlightlover of CH:

Sunday afternoon we weren’t attending the matinee, so we decided to get ourselves in position at the stage door before the show let out. nicegurrrrl and I snagged a spot over to the left of the stage door (Clay’s right) because we knew from previous encounters that he goes immediately to his right and spends some time in that corner before moving on. I had my camera at the ready, but he surprised me because usually Jerome comes out and scopes out the situation, then returns with Clay; but this time they just burst out of the stage door together unexpectedly. (I guess Jerome has decided that Broadway stage-door crowds aren’t as cr-enthusiastic as concert crowds.)

Clay talked to MEEEEE!!!

He stood two feet away from me for over a minute grabbing and signing, grabbing and signing, chatting, grabbing and signing. I had him all lined up in the camera display, he was so damn close that even with the zoom pulled all the way back his face completely filled the frame. He wasn’t wearing a coat, only a hoodie, and it was bitterly cold. I had on three pairs of pants, five layers on top including an overcoat, a hat and two scarves around my face and neck, and I was barely surviving. Someone in the crowd said, "Clay, you look good!" and he scrunched his nose adorably and said, "With this hair?!?!" I said to him, “You must be really tired.” He said, “Naw, I’m okay – I got a good night’s sleep last night.” Someone said something about the cold and not having a coat, and Clay said, “It’s my own fault, I just didn’t want to wear one.” I said “Hey! Jerome! Give Clay your coat!” And Clay said, “No, no, Jerome needs his coat.” And then he drifted off down the line.

And I looked down at my display and realized the camera was still on “standby” because my effing thick gloves had kept me from fully pressing down the “record” button. Crap. Crappity crap crap crap crap.

Fortunately snowdrop captured him in all his glory that afternoon. I even see myself in a snip of her video. Hee.

So I recorded a lot of his backside as he went down the line, and then got him coming back into the stage door waving goodbye.

I thought Sunday night’s performance was better than Saturday night, when Clay seemed a little off. I think maybe he got a note or two from Mike Nichols, because a couple of acting things that bugged me Saturday were corrected on Sunday. He looked much more relaxed that night.

Sunday night was notable for soooo many funny things that went wrong. Most of this is not Clay-related. There’s a scene where the knights go to Camelot, which is really more like Las Vegas, and during the musical number this monk and this nun (complete with flying-nun headdress) do this hilarious adagio dance number. (The nun is really a guy, which makes it even funnier.) Early the number they sort of collided with each other and started to grin; I could tell they were having trouble holding it together for the rest of the number (which ends with the nun spinning on his/her belly on the stage floor).

There’s a scene where Arthur swordfights with the Black Knight and cuts off his arms and legs. The Black Knight wears this big fakey mustache, and it started to come off his face on one side. By this time he had no arms, so he couldn’t do much about it. It would flap when he talked. So at one point he just blew on it to deliberately make it flap. I thought King Arthur was going to lose it. But then it got even better. The armless Black Knight backs up against a “tree” so Arthur can impale him with his own sword (thus explaining why his head and torso dangle in midair after his legs are cut off). But this time Arthur didn’t quite get the sword all the way in, so instead of remaining parallel to the floor, it starts to droop forward like a limp – well, you get the picture. It was hysterical. Even funnier, after the scene ends and they start to pull off the scenery with the Black Knight still hanging from it, the sword starts to magically rise again like a -- well, you get the picture. I thought I would bust a gut.

Just before the scene with the killer rabbit, the knights gallop across the stage and then break into a Broadway-style soft shoe. Then they resume their gallop, then come back for a slightly different type dance; then once more, finishing up with “America” from West Side Story. Sunday night Clay completely missed getting into the first soft-shoe – I think he was on the wrong foot at the first beat – and he couldn’t get back in step. He couldn’t help getting this sheepish smirk on his face because he KNEW we were watching and saw him miss it. It was adorable. But it’s the only time I saw him really mess something up, and honestly it didn’t matter at all.

The chorus guy who played the dancing nun (among other things) got to do a little solo dance in the curtain call, and then Clay pulled him up into the front line to take a special bow. We don't know what it was about exactly, but I figure maybe the guy's mother was in the audience or something. It was one of several indications that Clay is really becoming part of this special ensemble.

Sunday night at the stage door, Ethel was back in the crowd about ten deep, so she couldn’t get close to Clay. But she was yelling at him “Clay!! I caught the bouquet! I caught the bouquet!” And without ever looking up from grabbing and signing, Clay said, “You are soooooo attention-starved, Ethel.” “That’s YOUR fault, Clay!” , she returned, and he said, “Nooooo, no no no no, no it’s not.” And he moved on down the line.

There are some frighteningly talented actors in this cast. The Lady of the Lake has a vocal range and power that would shatter the Crystal Cathedral. A glory-note contest between her and Clay would be no contest at all. Sorry, Clay. In fact, there are so many great voices in this cast, I noticed that when they were all singing, even from the second row I couldn’t hear Clay’s voice individually. Christopher Sieber, who plays Galahad/Black Knight/Herbert’s father is gorgeous, hysterically funny, gorgeous, incredibly versatile, gorgeous, a great singer – did I mention gorgeous? Much prettier than his cast photo. He and Clay interact a lot onstage and I’m so glad Clay is being exposed to such incredible talent.

What is a blinky?

Blinkies are blinking lights. At one time some fans had blinkies with hearts on them. Apparently these spelled out Clay and Awesome from what I have read. They are tacky attention grabbers, IMO.

OK, I thought that is what it might have been. They are probably great for outdoor concerts but not for Broadway. However, apparently they were used ONLY at curtain call, so that might not be so bad especialy for a crazy/fun show like Spamalot. Just my 2 cents, I know not everyone will agree. Did Clay ask anyone not to use them again?

OK, I thought that is what it might have been. They are probably great for outdoor concerts but not for Broadway. However, apparently they were used ONLY at curtain call, so that might not be so bad especialy for a crazy/fun show like Spamalot. Just my 2 cents, I know not everyone will agree. Did Clay ask anyone not to use them again?
I don't think Clay's ever said a word about them, positive or negative, as least not to my knowledge. They are just generally disliked throughout much of the fandom. However, we each have our likes and dislikes. Blinkies don't really upset me, especially, as you say, if they were only at the curtain call.

What an exhausting but exhilarating weekend this has been! Between shuttling my kids back and forth to Toronto, cell phone in hand in case cindilu2 called with a report, keeping up with the boards for news and pictures, and trying to watch all 9 hours of coverage of the Canadian Figure Skating Championships, I'm beat! But I think it's probably one of my favourite weekends in the past 5 years, even if I wasn't there to witness any of it in person. :)

Someone said something about the cold and not having a coat, and Clay said, “It’s my own fault, I just didn’t want to wear one.” I said “Hey! Jerome! Give Clay your coat!” And Clay said, “No, no, Jerome needs his coat.” And then he drifted off down the line.

First I truly hope the person that said Jerome give clay your coat was kkidding cos that is a bit insensitive. Love Clay for making sure the fans don;t blame Jerome for being coatless...

Sunday night at the stage door, Ethel was back in the crowd about ten deep, so she couldn’t get close to Clay. But she was yelling at him “Clay!! I caught the bouquet! I caught the bouquet!” And without ever looking up from grabbing and signing, Clay said, “You are soooooo attention-starved, Ethel.” “That’s YOUR fault, Clay!” , she returned, and he said, “Nooooo, no no no no, no it’s not.” And he moved on down the line.

Awww ...I know some people would look at that and think Clay is sick of Ethel...but I see it as funny banter and teasing between two people that are fond of each other. Clay knows that the only way to discourage a true fame ho is to ignore them and he sure does not ignore Ethel. I really like Ethel...she does not take herself too seriously IMO.

It is very obvious that Clay enjoys Ethel and I am sure she is a very nice lady; but as someone who has gone to many shows where Ethel was in attendance; her need to call attention to herself and make sure everyone knows she is there does get old after awhile.

Kim

Awww ...I know some people would look at that and think Clay is sick of Ethel...but I see it as funny banter and teasing between two people that are fond of each other. Clay knows that the only way to discourage a true fame ho is to ignore them and he sure does not ignore Ethel. I really like Ethel...she does not take herself too seriously IMO.

My thoughts exactlly. LOL I laughed at the fact that even from ten people back, while his head was down signing stuff he knew her voice and knew her well enough to snark on her. Her style may never be mine, but I like her...I'm editing because I decided I don't know if 'like' is the right word. I don't know Ethel personally well enough to either register like or dislike...but to me she's like a part of this Clay family...like the aunt who comes to the holiday dinners and maybe talks too loud or pinches your cheeks every time. You might roll your eyes when you hear she's coming, but you know damn well there'd be something missing without her. LOL. I love her for being that part of the fandom for me.

My thoughts exactlly. LOL I laughed at the fact that even from ten people back, while his head was down signing stuff he knew her voice and knew her well enough to snark on her. Her style may never be mine, but I like her...I'm editing because I decided I don't know if 'like' is the right word. I don't know Ethel personally well enough to either register like or dislike...but to me she's like a part of this Clay family...like the aunt who comes to the holiday dinners and maybe talks too loud or pinches your cheeks every time. You might roll your eyes when you hear she's coming, but you know damn well there'd be something missing without her. LOL. I love her for being that part of the fandom for me.

exactly...and its not that I think she is faultless...aikim, I know that she has been truly OTT and annoying at times and I think even she realized that and has acknowledged it. But she is just another colorful thread that makes this fandom beautiful.