#27: Ya' gotta give me somethin', honey!

Couch Tomato

What should the next thread title be at FCA?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. What should the next thread title be at FCA?

• Clay Aiken Deftly Acts Supremely Silly
    • He goes sweetly and deftly Medieval on Broadway.
    • What is it about Clay? Damned if I know.
    • Good Lord, is that man cute.
    • Sir Aiken - a triumph in SPAMalot!
    • He's a triumph in the show.
    • The man's a joy magnet!
    • Reach into that golden grab bag!
    • His smile just lights up everything.

People are trying to get their money back? Really????

Oh dear.

This makes me sad. I hope the rest of the cast doesn't hear of that. I understand that most (I said most, not all) Clay fans are going to this show just to see him, and for many it will be their only show, but asking for a refund because Clay isn't there is just sad, IMO.

Yep. I understand the one-off thing, or if you can only afford to get to one show, and have the opportunity to trade your tickets in for a different night, go for it. Everyone's situtation is different. But I hope that, for the most part, Claynation was in the audience to support the cast last night. I think Clay would be proud. I remember, many moons ago, in my previous fandom, a very similar situation. Elvis Stojko (figure skater) used to headline his own tour every year, from 1994 through 1998 I believe. Well, I never was able to attend, until 1998. I had tickets for one show and one show only. I took one of my kids. We got there (couple hours drive) and it was announced that unfortunately, Elvis had been advised by his doctors not to skate, because of risk of irreversable injury. They offered people their money back. Only a handful took it, and the rest of us stayed and supported the cast. Elvis came out in running shoes at the end of the show, took the mic, and thanked us profusely. I still wish I'd had the opportunity to see him skate, but in hindsight, I think it was a pretty cool thing that we did.

I listened to those ATDW snippets so many times that I sometimes still find myself hearing that annoying woman's voice saying "sneak peaks" in my head during the songs. LOL

BWAH! I had my iTunes on shuffle the other night during dinner, and my daughter's friend loudly said "SNEAK PEEK!" in the middle of one of the ATDW songs. Seems she'd been subjected to it so much, she didn't forget it either! :cryingwlaughter:

Hearing Clay early doesn't ruin hearing Clay for me....nope. Just means I can hear more of him.

Exactly. Love what we've heard so far, too. :)

Don't give a rat's patootey who the producer is as long as he/she and Clay enjoyed working together and did so with a sense of mutual satisfaction with the outcome. I know nothing about music production so what could I possibly have to say as a critique of the producer.

:preachit:

But I digress, I wanted to drop in here tonight (at my usual late hour) to bring your attention to my new signature.

So far 2008 hasn't been a banner year for me what with new beginnings, a new address and what feels like precious little else but my gut feeling that I'm on the right path to make me get up in the morning. And then there has been this particularly nasty winter.....grrrrrrr.

Still, there's always room for a miracle somewhere in everyone's life. Sometimes miracles and bad times can happen at the same time.

Last week a good friend invited me away from my life for a few weeks to spend time at her house. She is a saint.

And it is almost, ( I said almost ) beside the point that she lives a relatively short train ride from the Broad Way.

Sir Robin has nine days to get his adorable self all healthy and spammy for.......meeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

:coolchicken::twinklewhore:

:bye6:

zena, welcome back. Sorry to hear 2008 hasn't been kind to you so far. But woo hoo! So happy you will get to Broadway. Things are looking up! (hee, that's become my mantra lately)

from cindydoe at CV...

WRAL

Can't cap it, but Linda Loveland showed a teaser for tonight, Clay saying " a lot's happened the last five yers, they say what doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger. " Showed him singing, different song from yesterday. Showed Quina recording. Sorry, that's all I caught, hopefully, someone will cap it.

They also mentioned later that tomorrow morning they will go behind the scenes at Spamalot.

eeeeeee! :)

Good Morning Everyone,

11 Days until Daylight Savings Time!

24 Days until Spring!

67 Days until The Closing Night of Spamalot!

69 Days until The New CD! :whoohoo:

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/2489196/

Clay Aiken Offers Sneak Peak of New Album

New York, N.Y. — Clay Aiken’s new album has been coming to life inside a New York City recording studio.

WRAL Anchor Lynda Loveland recently traveled to the Big Apple and was granted behind-the-scenes access to some of his new work.

“(The songs) have to be something I’ll enjoy and that I can do well,” Aiken said. “And, at the same time, they have to kind of fit into this common theme.”

Find out what the album’s theme is, and hear exclusive cuts of Aiken’s new songs before anyone else, tonight at 5 p.m. on WRAL News.

Give 'em hits, folks. Give 'em hits. :)

Sheesh. Top of the page? I was referring to the clip up on WRAL, fyi.

While I'm here, let me repeat what I said elsewhere. Seeing Anthony Hold in what my mind now identifies as CLAY'S wig and clothes is f-areaking me out a bit. I want him baaaccck.

*sniff*

Unfortunately, Clay should have known the cat would be out of the bag before he could open it

See I think he left the bag open intentionally...so to speak.

Yes because its about time the cat is out of the bag. This is just the right time for the usual album promo to begin. I think they have a timeline they are following and the fans are finding things out...just when Clay is ready for it all to come out.

I think the only reason why the name of the producer and the songs were not revealed is because Clay and his promo responsibilities were to Spamalot. He was able to talk about the album but just in passing...so it was not right to use up that promo to give details about the CD. Now the main story is the album...and Spamalot is piggy backing on that news. This is another reason why it was good to have the CD come out right after Spamalot...both projects get a longer promo time since they piggy backed on each other. This is such a great move on TC's part...

I also think its brilliant that he gives a lot of this details to a local news and an interviewer he trusts. This will help them control the the message before he starts talking to the music publication that may just spin the "narrative" in a more negative light. I wouldn't be suprised if we get more articles and songs tested through March and April. I actually hope there will be a single to radio by the middle of April.

I just listened to the snippet and the full song that is "rumored" to be his new single. Somehow I just don't believe that something like that would slip out in full-fledged recorded form like that. Is it the writer singing it? Or... if it's already recorded, how could it be on Clay's new album of "original tunes"?

I think that is just a demo of the song, not a full fledged recording. Most composers would have a demo of their song on line and they can be quite professional sounding. Not difficult to do that now with all the music programs out there. I believe this song was not released before.

Hey Zena...so happy for your good news. I've been keeping open the possibility of going to see Spamalot myself. But now I have to let go of the dream, I decided to just concentrate my attention and finances to this trip my girls and I are taking to the Philippines. We are beginning our trek on sunday....a 12 hour train ride to Montreal....followed by a 19 hour flight (25 hour with all connections) to Manila. We will be staying there for a month but thanks to broadband cable connections...I will be able to stay in touch with y'all. I will just be in a similar time zone as our australian members... We get back the end of March...so by then I expect that there will be quite a bit of album promo going on.

Well snow day for the kids...that means work day for mom...

eta: EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE for more album news and Quiana recording with him...and EEEEEEEEEEEEEE behind the scenes on Spamalot...more footage I hope.

No kids, no snow - Yay me!

Hey claytonic! A certain something has apparently left Sydney - are you anywhere close to that?

Yay Zena! Make sure you get some killer rabbit slippers for Lena (You know, that's my girl - she totally understands the concept of one-sided warmth!)

Where did you see Anthony Hold in Clay's clothes?!?!? That's...that's just wrong! Hell, I would even want to see anyone in Clay's My Buddy outfit!

I understand the promo for other people - but honest to Betsy, if the CD magically showed up in my hands tomorrow, I would play the crap out of the thing! I would play it for all my friends over the telephone - or they would have to come to my house because the thing will be on repeat and going NOWHERE. Sigh. I tend to hate too much promo - if I find it interesting, I want it NOW.

KAndre Anthony Hold pictures here.

*sigh*

Blech!! Word to KAndre - he's probably a nice man, but he's not CLAY.

Any reports about the audience size or response last night?

And EEEEEEEE for all of the album & Spam stuff coming from WRAL today and tomorrow! I'm so glad that Clay has a relationship with someone in the media he can trust to report information the way he wants it presented.

ETA: Did that last sentence make sense? If not, blame it on the cold I have. Makes it hard to think straight! But I'm perfectly capable of EEEEEEEEing!

zena... welcome back! It's exciting that you will get to Broadway during your stay. Nice friend!

Gibby... awwww. Sorry you are sick... sorry Clay is sick! With my trusty Cold Snap, I have made it thru safely so far. Love that stuff!

eeeeeeeeee about the producer and new song and Linda Loveland and WRAL!!!!!! This is going to be a killer album, I just feel it! Course I love ATDW. It was just that second cd + covers just wasn't the right thing to do. You know what, tho... that is going to make this one all the more striking, IMO. Two more months...

i think the new producer looks wild and crazy..that's a good thing... meaning he looks fun. I hope he is.

As for his music - I did follow the link and don't recognize anyone but Sting. I like Sting well enough after all The Police's Every Breath You Take album and I don't even know if that's the name of it LOL, well at least 4 of the songs are among my top 20 most played songs on my ipod. But that's old time Sting ..and wasn't that album he produced for Sting not a pop album? Why do I have an image of chants and candles and not traditional instruments. See how much I follow the pop world?

Why do I have an image of chants and candles and not traditional instruments. See how much I follow the pop world?
You are me, couchie! I actually like Sting---mostly because he's original, IMO. He definitely follows to the beat of his own drum and that's cool. He was a schoolteacher, too, you know---before he got into the music business.

And "ROXANNE! You don't have to put on the red light...." will forever be married to memories of dancing on a beer-soaked concrete floor at the Bottle 'N Cork in Dewey Beach, DE until I could dance no more! Sweat and laughter and wet kisses and dirty dancin'---I had fun in my twenties, y'all! :imgtongue: (and thirties...heh)

Sorry, can't deal with that interloper in Sir Robin's duds. Hope the REAL Sir Robin gets well soon. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

The dj's on my local 'alternative rock' radio station were talking about American Idol this morning and I almost wrecked the car! They NEVER talk about AI! But they were actually gushing over David A's rendition of Imagine and saying they think he's terrific and will win the whole enchilada. Couldn't believe it.

Cannot WAIT for more of CLay's voice on my iPod, in my car---everywhere. I feel happy. (t/m NotYetDeadFred)

Good Morning, FCA! :thbighug-1:

A quick note to let y'all know that Sally and her son just talked with the manager of the Shubert Theatre. As of right now, Clay will perform tonight. They are in New York City for two shows, and I know several who are just there for today. Hope this holds, and I hope Clay found the magic potion! :)

This littlle ditty is in my current blog, which of course is at the OFC and at Carolina On My Mind. I never answer the phone when I'm teaching lessons, but yesterday I had two High Point students taking makeups at my house for the first time. Sure enough, one got lost and called for more directions.

The phone rang again just before I finished the last lesson, and, somehow, I just knew it was Sally in New York. She needed to know the Textism code so she could add a siggie in an OFC comment. I wish you could have seen the piano mother's face as I gave replied with the code: "Asterisk ... space ... exclamation point ... etc." :whistling-1:

These are clickables of a couple of graphics featured in the blog, the first by AmazingCA and the second the gif already posted here by Cindilu2:

th_ACA_Toni4.jpg th_Cind_ToniScrp1.gif

Clickables by ACA and Cindilu2

Absolutely beautiful banner, Cindy! :clap:

Enjoying your research. I have a feeling Clay is grinning and nodding his head at his fandom's diligence. Osama -- a piece of cake for the Clay Nation! :lol:

Take care, all, and have a great day! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Caro listen.gif

Sting? couchie. you're right in that his work with the Police was more rock 'n roll...but it was always tinged with jazz as well. And by the time he went solo, he really went way more heavy on the jazz influences. My favorite album on his was his first one, "The Dream of the Blue Turtle" with the hit "If You Love Someone, Set Them Free." I noticed that Kipper worked on the song "Desert Rose" with Clay. This is the Middle Eastern influenced song from one of his later albums...that was used for a car commercia. Oh, and Sting's last album (also with work by Kipper)? The music of John Dowland, played on lutes (medieval stringed instruments). My husband plays the lute (and is building a few of them) but we never got around to getting the album. He did let me read some of the reviews in a lute journal he subscribes to. Let's just say the purists were not amused. *g*

So yeah, it looks as if Kipper is a "march to his own beat" kind of person. It will be very interesting to see what he can pull out of Clay...and from what we read in the Broadway.com interview, what Clay managed to convince Kipper to do as well. (Remember the "we don't want to aim for radio play?")

Wish me luck guys....I've got to stand up to my boss' boss in a few hours and tell her that I don't want to be a library director, that I like my life without having to field phone calls from sick employees or whiny patrons, that even with extra pay (which they won't provide anyway) I simply don't have the personality type to be the kind of leader that the library needs. We'll see if she listens.

Hey claytonic! A certain something has apparently left Sydney - are you anywhere close to that?

KAndre

I am beyond excited! I USED to live in Sydney, but am a bit over 1000 miles north of Sydney now, on the Eastern Coast of Oz.

I guess I won't be getting much work done around the house in the immediate future, and no one here will have to put up with me asking duh duh dumb questions again since I will not have many excuses left like "Woe is me, I never got to see AI#2"!

Caro - thanks for the news about Clay being scheduled to perform tonight. Crossing my fingers and tossing antibiotics in the direction of Broadway.

============================================

AI - Simon always makes a proclaimation early in the season "That you're the one to beat." Sometimes it pans out, and sometimes it doesn't. You never know who's going to end up cracking under pressure as the competition goes on, or if a random comment will turn off the voters.

David A. has a strong, clear voice, but he seems to get very nervous right afterwards when he has to listen to the judges' comments. Maybe the prospect of talking to Ryan freaks the poor kid out. :cryingwlaughter: Anyway, considering his Star Search experience and what not, I'm surprised his stage patter / non-singing persona isn't a little more slick and professional than it currently is.

============================================

ldyj, I hear you. Sometimes you just want a job that you can do 8 to 5 and not take home with you, ya know? Hope you get what you want.

I think the theater will lead people to believe Clay will appear until they have definite word he will not be appearing. - I am such a cynic.

Here is a 4shared link to hthe WRAL promo this morning forthose at work who can't download and can't watch youtube. Play or download, the clip is already at CU.

So it is not all ballads, but at least one midtempo angsty song.

KAndre

I am beyond excited! I USED to live in Sydney, but am a bit over 1000 miles north of Sydney now, on the Eastern Coast of Oz.

I guess I won't be getting much work done around the house in the immediate future, and no one here will have to put up with me asking duh duh dumb questions again since I will not have many excuses left like "Woe is me, I never got to see AI#2"!

Well, it looked much closer on Google Maps - only a couple of inches away....

I have a new smartphone - not as cool as the smartphones ordered by my psycho friends - but nice enough. I'm trying to decide if they are serious about this darn solar powered recharger...

Who knows how to make ringtones? I need some CA ringtones!

I think the theater will lead people to believe Clay will appear until they have definite word he will not be appearing. - I am such a cynic.

Here is a 4shared link to hthe WRAL promo this morning forthose at work who can't download and can't watch youtube. Play or download, the clip is already at CU.

I hate being in a place where too many people are around so you can't listen to anything you shouldn't be listening to........

I want to hear the midtempo angsty song! :cry4:

I am bad, bad, bad. I d/l the clip here at work and watched it once, then listened to it on repeat with the window minimized. I wish those people would shut up so I can hear Clay sing to meeeeeeee!

Well if the one person sitting behind me would just leave, maybe if I turned the volume waaaay down I could hear it!

How rude of her to actually, you know, work, instead of leaving for lunch!

I hear a longer clip is coming soooooooooooooon!

I hate being in a place where too many people are around so you can't listen to anything you shouldn't be listening to........

I want to hear the midtempo angsty song! :cry4:

One word for you, CG :unsure:

earphones :ninja:

I'm playing it over and over and over....just four words of that VOX but they just slay me. The sound of that VOX never fails to reach right in there and

gawd.

CG, maybe someone could call you and play the clip to you over the phone? If I wasn't going to be in a meeting soon, I'd do it!!!

I've watched the clip a few times now....and EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Very cool. It sounds like a neat song.