#29: EEEEEEEEEEEE!!! It's really happening!

Couch Tomato

What should be the next thread title at FCA?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title on the FCA board?

• Ah, nothing left but the finale - and Clay's incredible career.
    • I am so obsessed. He's altered my DNA. I'm sure of it.
    • Hold on...you're going on a great and long ride!
    • I'd go with Godzilla if it meant I could see Clay even one more time in Spamalot.
    • Yes I'm babbling. What can I say? He makes me happy.
    • Clay has the vitality of the Energizer bunny...
    • Just the Clay parts first. His parts are FINE as WINE and all move..... varra varra nicely!
    • He loves us as we love him--unconditionally.
    • Today's Clay is hawt, polished, multi-faceted...
    • Faith has conquered fear...on my way here!
    • The man is a magnet. A super magnet.
    • Clay will always be Clayton, too.
    • I want it all and I want it now!
    • He is going to kill us all.
    • Can I move to ClayAikenville?
    • Whenever, wherever, I'll be there.

I won't wear my Clay shirts in public unless it's a Clay event. I'm not embarrassed to be a fan of Clay, I just feel like I'm too old.

ldyJ...for me I am embarrased not because its Clay...but that I am acting like a teen joining a fan club. I don;t think I would wear a Sting T shirt either...

I don't want to appear like I'm picking on you two ladies -- but what exactly is "too old" to wear a Clay tshirt? Or too old to "act like a teen?" I know as a 45-year-old woman, I'm supposed to be this "mature lady who acts like a mature lady in public." I do that enough when I'm at work for 40 hours a week. Sometimes, though, I say "hogwash" to that notion. IMO -- have FUN with it, and if it lets you act like a teen for a while, I personally see nothing wrong with that.

Maybe it's just that I was raised with the fangirl gene though -- I wore out all my Huey Lewis, Don Henley and Star Trek tshirts a LONG time ago. Wore them every chance I could.

ldyJ...for me I am embarrased not because its Clay...but that I am acting like a teen joining a fan club. I don;t think I would wear a Sting T shirt either...

Heh, I am probably older than you, and a good half of the t-shirts in my clothes drawer are of the "fan" variety. I love buying t-shirts at events I attend, be they concerts or figure skating events or what have you. I guess I am in my second childhood! I even wear them to work on casual Fridays.........

Ok, OK, booze - it was just a passing thought.....

Away from the light and back into the dark.....

Hmm, how many bars have wifi?

You’d be surprised. All my favorites here in Nashville have WiFi – I would imagine it would be even more prevalent in NYC. The problem is that they often don’t advertise that fact, so you have to ask. If you guys find one, let me know. <g>

CG, I understand ya....and yet, I love wearing my Clay t-shirts out, and have been known to involuntarily say "hey, there's Jerome" or "ooooo, pretty marquee with Clay's picture" loud enough for others to notice. (Note the word "involuntarily" there. Heh...) There are times when I feel the fandom is embarrassed at being a Clay fan. I think part of that is because of the OTT of some fans, sure. But I also get the feeling that some don't want to be identified with someone (Clay) who is considered "not cool" by much of the general public.

And some people just don’t like loud displays, period. I think they’re embarrassing, at times. Clay ain’t got all that much to do with it. If you were screaming over JT in public I would still throw an elbow. <g> That’s just me. Thankfully, no one I hang with is what I consider a loud fan. They’re just fun. Ask the waiter dude in that bar me and the eHp went to – he found out we were Clay fans without us screaming about it. And cute little Ben at Junior’s too. For me, volume is the issue.

I won't wear my Clay shirts in public unless it's a Clay event. I'm not embarrassed to be a fan of Clay, I just feel like I'm too old.

I don't want to appear like I'm picking on you two ladies -- but what exactly is "too old" to wear a Clay tshirt? Or too old to "act like a teen?" I know as a 45-year-old woman, I'm supposed to be this "mature lady who acts like a mature lady in public." I do that enough when I'm at work for 40 hours a week. Sometimes, though, I say "hogwash" to that notion. IMO -- have FUN with it, and if it lets you act like a teen for a while, I personally see nothing wrong with that.

Maybe it's just that I was raised with the fangirl gene though -- I wore out all my Huey Lewis, Don Henley and Star Trek tshirts a LONG time ago. Wore them every chance I could.

Oh I think its personal preference. I am just not a person that likes to attract attention to myself. But I am not bothered by others that do. I say more power to you if you like that...if you enjoy it go ahead and wear the tshirt. I was going around SoCal with couchie and she had her tshirt on. Does not bother me...but I just prefer not to. I don't mind cheering at ball parks...screaming at concerts...standing and dancing to the music...going to the dance floor and dancing...I can even see myself riding the clay mobile, but that is when I am in the right context. Here at home where I may get teased by hubby and my girls...I tone down the Clay love.

45? Pffft Child's play.

I have a t-shirt collection of t-shirts I don't wear. I did buy a bunch of t-shirts from the $5 sale at the OFC store though. In XXXlarge. I wear them as night shirts, big comfy night shirts and as an over the bathing suit shirt. I burn easily and can't reach all of my back, so at the beach, I swim in a t-shirt over my suit because I don't want burnt back syndrome. I also wear it as a giant over shirt when I am walking around. I guess it kind of looks like a short burkha or something, but I am there iwth my silly shirt and big, big sun hat usually a tote bag for my "stuff" (water, towel, mp3 player, cell, book, glasses, etc)

Clay eats Pizza Hut - EWWWW. Guess living near great Italian restaurants kind of spoiled me. Pizza hut pizza is like eating red cardboard.

It is so great hearing happy reports. The thrill of the first Spamalot is perceptually in the air.

EEEEEEE!

Pre-show Spam report from toni:

Kevin Bacon is in the audience today. Rick is back. Brad Oscar(Sir Bedevere) is still out.

Place looks full. She couldn't talk more because show was starting.

Kim

Hee, doesn't Clay look like Kevin Bacon in some old photos? And people do play the 6 degrees game with Clay, only it is usually one degree they strive for.

OK, so far I have found this one place.

plebee's Neighborhood Grill Bar and Grill

205 W 50th St

New York, NY 10019

It appears the viral marketing is working:

Last night a co-worker who knew that I was a Clay fan (but who has never purchased a Clay CD) said to me, "I'm getting sooo excited and twitterpated about Clay's new CD! It comes out on May 6th and it's ALL over the internet. I can't believe the buzz. I'm gonna have to get it. I'm so excited!" All said with gushy enthusiasm.

No, I'm not making it up. If I was, I could make it much more believable. I just sat there with my mouth open. Then another co-worker said, "I just love his voice. I'm so glad you told me about his new CD."

Yeah, I know. Still sounds fake. Cue twilight zone music.

Dare I have hopes for this CD? EEEEE!

BTW, I keep seeing references to the getclayaiken.com board, but when I try to go there and check it out, I get url not found. Is it a private site?

I just tried it from my bookmark, and their site seems to be down at the moment. Bad timing, for I think all their admins are in NYC...*g* Anyway, it's not a private site, not that I know of. I mean, they let me join. *g* ETA: they seem to be back up now.

CG, I understand ya....and yet, I love wearing my Clay t-shirts out, and have been known to involuntarily say "hey, there's Jerome" or "ooooo, pretty marquee with Clay's picture" loud enough for others to notice. (Note the word "involuntarily" there. Heh...) There are times when I feel the fandom is embarrassed at being a Clay fan. I think part of that is because of the OTT of some fans, sure. But I also get the feeling that some don't want to be identified with someone (Clay) who is considered "not cool" by much of the general public.

I'm one who is proud of my fandom. I don't PUSH my fandom to every single person I meet, to be sure. When I wear my Clay shirts, I'm not saying to people, "isn't the guy on my t-shirt great?", but if someone notices and starts a conversation with me about it, I don't have a problem... But, at the same time, I like being able to show the world that I'm a Clay fan. *shrug*

The bolded part is my main reason. I was saying to someone just yesterday that I am not embarrassed to be a Clay fan because of Clay. I am because of the reputation of his fans. Now, you and I know most of Clay's fan are not the OTT ones but those few are what the public perception of Clay's fans are like. I guess I shouldn't let it bother me. I am not like that and I should be ok with that, but just like I cringe if I am with friends who do embarrassing things because in a way my friends are a reflection on me, I feel as if by being a Clay fan, the reputation of his fans is a reflection on me.

I never try and Clayvert. I think I gave away one copy of MCWL because someone who knew I was a Clay fan said they loved MDYK (she sang it in her church choir) and she was giving the office Christmas party, so I thought it would be an appropriate hostess gift. But I never tried to talk her into liking Clay. I have never given out DVDs or CDs to anyone unless they were already a fan. And I think a lot of that goes back to not wanting it broadcast that I am a Clay fan.

If I am being honest, my age and the fact Clay is not perceived as cool may enter into it a teensy, itty, bitty bit, but are in no way my primary reason for wanted to keep myself a bit stealth.

But that's me. As always, everyone must do what makes them comfortable!

It is a gorgeous spring day here. My windows are open, which makes my cat very happy. My eyes are itching and my head is pounding, which doesn't make me happy at all, but its worth it to know spring has sprung - at least for now. Its supposed to get cold again next week! Ugh!

Oh, and which picture to vote for? Well, considering I cropped this one down to fit my widescreen monitor as wallpaper and that I just can't resist it when Clay tells me to come hither with his eyes, I voted for picture #1.

1f5cf38063dbb78b0e07c785f670ae66.jpg

I own 3 Clay t-shirts. Two of the shirts came with my OFC memberships and I bought one in Tulsa (couldn't pass up the deal of the t-shirt and poster Ha) I have only worn one of them and only around the house. Why? Because I look freakin awful in these unisex type t shirts. I'm short and stocky and t shirts just make me look shorter and stockier. Maybe I'll just collect them and make myself a throw out of them. :cryingwlaughter:

I own 3 Clay t-shirts. Two of the shirts came with my OFC memberships and I bought one in Tulsa (couldn't pass up the deal of the t-shirt and poster Ha) I have only worn one of them and only around the house. Why? Because I look freakin awful in these unisex type t shirts. I'm short and stocky and t shirts just make me look shorter and stockier. Maybe I'll just collect them and make myself a throw out of them. :cryingwlaughter:

You are me...hee! My Clay shirts are packed away in pristine condition. I am just not the type of person to wear a t-shirt with anybody's face on it. Plus I don't feel comfortable wearing a Clay shirt around the house when my hubby's around...he is pretty tolerant of all this, but I don't want to push it.

I am pretty low key about my fandom in real life; people at work know I am a fan, but I don't push him on anybody and don't talk about him unless they ask. I have played my CD's at work and people will stop and ask who is singing and I tell them. I really admire people who are so uninhibited and can wear all their Clay stuff without worrying about what people think...that is just not me.

Kim

Hey... don't wear my Clay tee shirts out in public...well, except for two that I love...One is an Army green color with "CLAY ROCKS" in black letters on the front. Now I don't wear just the tee shirt---always have like a big shirt with the buttons open over it. And I LOVE my black "Invisible" shirt in white lettering and the list of concert cities on the back...I'v actually worn that one to work with my BAF sweatshirt over it, the zipper open just enough to reveal a few letters but not enough to know what the word is...heh.

I think I wore a white fan club tee shirt once to Jazzercize...but I remember being VERY conscious of it the whole time and that had a detrimental effect on my various complex footwork, donchaknow.

I do my share of Clayverting, however. Funny...I'm really not evangelical...but when/if his name comes up I'll let people know I'm a fan. Usually, I either find that the person I'm talking to is, too, or someone they know is and the conversation goes from there. I've never offered to share CD, music, clips, etc....but when things happen in conversation and somebody lets me know they'd love to see/hear stuff, I tell them about websites and/or offer to send them links, etc. I've given Clay CDs as gifts, for sure. Clay's on my desktop at work and EVERYBODY there knows about my love affair with him..heh.

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS DAY here in the Bay Area---perfect day for a softball game! Woo Hoo! Hey, Couchie! Same park in town at 1 pm if you feel like it! Feels like summer! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

I'm all for Clay on AC/Hot AC..when he first was on the scene, I thought he might find a place on Top 40, but in the five years since that whole concept has changed drastically, IMO. What is considered Top 40 now has nothing to do with my life, my tastes or my sensibilities so whatever, you know? I just asked Alex if she knew what the top hits were on top 40 radio and she said 'no, Mom'. She and her friends basically get songs they like from the internet and put them on their iPods...

PLAY BALL!

The bolded part is my main reason. I was saying to someone just yesterday that I am not embarrassed to be a Clay fan because of Clay. I am because of the reputation of his fans. Now, you and I know most of Clay's fan are not the OTT ones but those few are what the public perception of Clay's fans are like. I guess I shouldn't let it bother me. I am not like that and I should be ok with that, but just like I cringe if I am with friends who do embarrassing things because in a way my friends are a reflection on me, I feel as if by being a Clay fan, the reputation of his fans is a reflection on me.
How prevalent is that notion though. I honestly don't think Claymates are all that known beyond certain specific groups, certainly not to the average person and even when that general term is known I don't necessarily think anything "crazy" is associated with it. My SIL is a fan of Clay and didn't know what a Claymate was until the day before she came to the DCAT concert. OK once she was in the house she was a bit ..like WOW.... (I think the Clay jewelry was most shocking). heh.

I wear my Clay gear to Clay concerts (when he comes to CA, that is) only. My family has me soooo conditioned not to mention his name, that I'm not as outgoing about it as I'd like to be. My friends know and people at my work know. I have, "I'd rather be at a Clay Aiken concert" on my license plate holder, tho! When I had my accident, I insisted I get that off of my wrecked car! The wrecking yard guy looked at me like I was nuts! LOL I got a kick out of that.

QUOTE(toni2marie @ Apr 12 2008, 03:40 PM)

Intermission Report from toni7babe!!!

Kevin Bacon is there with his wife, Kira Sedgwick and their son. Kevin bought his son a Spamalot t-shirt and he put it on right away. He was so excited! Really cute.

Toni and Scarlett are in the front row and saw Sean. Before the show started, the announcer said his speech about the “no cameras, no cell phones, in a different and funny way. It was really funny.

Clay was adorable in the tower scene playing with the ribbons on his helmet. He got lots of laughs during that. Also, lots of cheers during the “Idol of my age!”

During the Camelot scene, when the Lady of the Lake was throwing her arms off, he kept saying “throw it to meeeee!! Throw it to meeee! It was so cute!

He also got down really low to look under the girls skirts again!

The leg kick off his horse was really, really high. During the slow motion horse scene, there was lots of tongue action. Amazing to see from the front row!!

Bedevere is out today, but Rick is back so there is lots of energy in the show. It looks like a full house. She thinks it’s a sellout!!

From CB

bfs just called me and wanted me to post and let everyone know that according to Gary the security guard, the Fan "Pen" won't be set up until after this coming week...apparently they need the barricades for the Pope's visit this week...lol

Once the Pope leaves, the barricades will be back and then the special place will be set up for the ticket holders....

I guess I'm gonna have to step up my game. :unsure: I called Clay last night, but he still hasn't sent me a text yet.... :cry4:

1f5cf38063dbb78b0e07c785f670ae66.jpg

I agree about #1, CG. (Sorry Clayzorback!) I think it's the wispy bangs that do it for me. I just love hair down in his face a bit (or a lot, even). It looks natural and cool and hot to me. If it absolutely positively has to be blond, then at least pull some of it down in his FACE. I adore the CD cover and I think it's burning hot, but those eyes in #1 at least deserve to be seen on a musicpass card. I think the cool bangs to the side accentuate those alluring eyes. BTW, I did check out the vote last night and #3 was gaining ground on #1, so it isn't a done deal.

After being in this intriguing group of fans for nearly two years now (OMG two years already!), I have at least a dozen Clay Aiken t-shirts, and I do wear them proudly. I have my standards. I would never wear an Adidas, Nike, Coca-Cola, et al, t-shirt because I won't pay to advertise a product on my back. They should pay ME, or at least give their shirts out for free. I do have brand t-shirts that I currently wear, such as The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, and Clay Aiken. I have more Clay Aiken than anything right now. The difference is that I'm proud to show the colors for things that mean something to me and that I love.

Maybe I'm lucky but in my limited experience I haven't actually seen a lot of OTT fans at the concerts. I take the word of everyone that they are there, and I suppose one must go a lot to notice the patterns. That said, enthusiasm and exuberant behavior, from the heart, is all good for me. I'm not one to make a spectacle of myself, but I like to have a good time, and express myself. So I can laugh my butt off and enjoy seeing fans full of excitement and silliness. It makes me laugh for them and with them. If and when I have moments, I hope others will take it for what it is, pure happiness. My past experience, however, is to be stupefied in the presence of the man, so I'd be the one most likely to be tapped on the shoulder with the words ... 'snap out of it, the show's over, it's time to go now."

I think I am immune to feeling that other people can embarrass me or reflect on me in any way. If other people want to judge me by what someone else does, I'll just let that be their problem. I've always had friends from many walks of life and some of them don't care much for each other, but I don't think that has anything to do with me. I'm pretty damn accepting, within reason. And while I said I haven't actually seen a lot of OTT fan behavior, what I have seen live and in person was perpetrated by none other than a member of the FBM group. Everything I've heard about FBM and associates is pretty sick, and I think it is an unfortunate fact that celebrities have to deal with over-the-edge people -- the bigger celebrities just can't escape them. Not even Clay. And from what I hear, this FBM business seems to be a recurring, freaky and uncomfortable scene that I hope can come to a conclusion, and soon.

About the Top 40 / Hot AC / AC deal ... I've read around today and have noticed a solid group of people who will be unhappy if Clay doesn't get played on Top 40 radio, and mostly because they quote Clay as saying he'd like to be on Top 40 radio -- although I don't know when that happened. But, I think it's common sense that any pop singer would want to be heard by the widest audience possible, and the belief that Top 40 drives sales, etc, etc, regurgitation, etc. seems to be a mind fixture for some. I just don't buy that at all. The last time I checked, Hot AC is a bigger market than Top 40. It pulls from the best of Top 40 and the best of new AC, and has an all-encompassing listener base. Clay could be played on Top 40 if he wanted it that bad, but it's obvious by the musical choices he makes that Top 40 will have to come to him, he won't go where they are today.

It's just so different today. Back in the day when Top 40 ruled the music world, you could hear everything from Bubblegum to Terrante & Fleischer to The Doors, The Troggs, The Temptations, the Byrds, Buck Owens and Bob Dylan on Top 40. Marketing splintered new music into the niches that exist today, for better and worse. Everything is a niche. Rhythmic club music favored by current Top 40 is a niche.

Que sera sera, I'm wearing a JBT shirt right now, and I'm going to Target in it. So THERE! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

LESS THAN TWO WEEKS FOR ME AND CLAY IN NY!!

Post show report from toni and Scarlett (Invisible - they got your voicemail) Hee!

They had a blast! Show seemed sold out! There was no Stage Door, which was a shame because there was a HUGE crowd out there but Jerome came out and told them that there was a meeting so no one would be coming out.

They don't know if the Bacon family went backstage or not as they were high-tailing it outside and didn't see if they did or not.

Knights of Ni = RICK'S Definitely BACK!! It was fall down hysterical - He sang "La Bamba" and every time the King thought he was finished, he would sing it some more and did that six or eight times - The King, Clay and Patsy were having a terrible time keeping it together. Clay and Patsy had to turn their backs to the audience - who were in hysterics.

Huge leg kicks.

When he came out in the White tux, he did a different dance - Kind of the Ashley Simson Hoe-down but it was VERY SEXY!!!! He had to pull his pants down a few times after that!

The Bottle Dance near killed them dead!

Huge Standing "O" at the end! Huge applause for everyone but biggest for Sir Robin - many cute glances between Clay and Hannah at that time.

They had a great time and can't wait for tonight's show.

The end.

The last time I checked, Hot AC is a bigger market than Top 40. It pulls from the best of Top 40 and the best of new AC, and has an all-encompassing listener base. Clay could be played on Top 40 if he wanted it that bad, but it's obvious by the musical choices he makes that Top 40 will have to come to him, he won't go where they are today.

It's just so different today. Back in the day when Top 40 ruled the music world, you could hear everything from Bubblegum to Terrante & Fleischer to The Doors, The Troggs, The Temptations, the Byrds, Buck Owens and Bob Dylan on Top 40. Marketing splintered new music into the niches that exist today, for better and worse. Everything is a niche. Rhythmic club music favored by current Top 40 is a niche.

WORD, keepingfaith! And I MISS that! Sometimes an 'alternative rock' station will have an almost-like-that profile, but not really. Seems that when I'm listening to radio, I either hear the same few songs over and over or some esoteric singer-songwriter thing that the djs slobber all over...

Anyhoo..Carrie was on fi-ahhhh! on the pitcher's mound today..now hubby and I are going to watch another softball game where some of our 'old' players are in...such a nice day, don't want to be inside, you know. Later, friends! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Loved your post KF. I totally agree about radio. If Clay wants Top 40 he'll really have to change up a lot of what he does and I don't think he's going to do that. AC and Hot AC are where he fits from what I've seen over the last 5 years. I'll do a reassess once I hear the complete album but still don't expect that he will become a top 40 staple.

Another mystery solved on Rewind today. He didn't forget the words to Vincent. He said that at the dress rehearsal Nigel said the version he was singing was too short and had to be extended to sing in competition, and since Clay wasn't familiar with the song and there was only an hour and a half until the show, Nigel put the added words on the teleprompter for him. So, while the words were right in front of him, he wasn't familiar with the song and came in at the wrong place. But he stressed that he didn't forget the words!

And I noticed, BTW, that Clay's voice on Vincent was magnificently beautiful. I never cared much for that song, mainly because Don McLean wrote it, and I could never forgive him for the monstrosity that was American Pie (which gets my vote for Worst Song Ever). Today I just listened to that golden voice and I don't care where he came in with the lyrics, it was extraordinary.

He was sooo cute on the Top 3 show. So many adorable Clay faces to melt a heart.

Wedding Update!

We have an offical date...Sept. 20th!

We have a Hall!

We have a Church!

Okay, I can breathe now...big sigh of relief!

Re: Vincident...I though Clay did a wonderful job on the song and never realized there was a mistake until the judges brought it up. Hated the suit though and hope he burned it!

Kim

Another mystery solved on Rewind today. He didn't forget the words to Vincent. He said that at the dress rehearsal Nigel said the version he was singing was too short and had to be extended to sing in competition, and since Clay wasn't familiar with the song and there was only an hour and a half until the show, Nigel put the added words on the teleprompter for him. So, while the words were right in front of him, he wasn't familiar with the song and came in at the wrong place. But he stressed that he didn't forget the words!

kf Clay called the Trinity (three friends of his) after the show to make sure everyone knew that he did not forget the words. He told them that TPTB had added a verse at the last minute. He didn't want anyone to think he had let them down.

Sept 20 is a good date for a wedding! I got married on that date in '69 and am still married.

The trinity also said that Nigel announced it tpo the audience, in front ofthe judges, but the week before the final two, it was all over the entertainment shows that Clay forgot the words. Paula hosted a segment on ET and repeated it there. It was very necessary to the depimping of Clay. The rest of the idol coverage that week was on how Ruben was loved at home and famous people who loved Ruben. It was 4 days of Ruben and 11 day of Clay forgot the words. I am sorry I didn't save the shows from them because no one seems to have saved it.

Here is what Clay said in 2003 (when his memory was fresh).

th_3ClayAikenTalksAboutMissedCueConfid.j

And here begins the angst of "OH NO Clay wants to go back to be a TEACHER!!!!!!! We are going tolose him. SO.LO.TOUR SO.LO.TOUR"

ETA = Makes note - no tour date near Akim in the middle of September