#30: Faith has conquered fear...on my way here!

ldyjocelyn

FCA Thread Title  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title for FCA?

• The Very Handsome Sir Clay of Aiken
    • "If I hear the term 'radio-friendly' one more time, I'm going to scream"
    • I'm ridiculously in love with the man & that's all there is to it.
    • "That will be an extra $50 for the butt squeeze!"
    • A snippet of Clay beats the hell out of the whole damn thing of anyone else!
    • Slovenia...who would a thunk it? I love Slovenia.
    • And if you strip away the friendly sweaters and smooth hair and charming smile, there's a feral creature underneath waiting to BITE you.
    • We've climbed on Mr. Aiken's Wild Ride!!!! Only this time it's an A Ticket!!!!
    • "You're doing GREAT!"
    • Clay Aiken is my high.
    • Clay Aiken is more punk then any of these groups.
    • "I still don't understand why people like my ass, I'm sorry!"

On the QVC topic - I'm going wait (cuz it's more special) but I have to wonder if 'we' aren't over-estimating the online fandom a tad. On the Clayboard there is quite the tizzy going on, on both sides of the equation. Not sure about the rest of Clay-land. What's a high-end (IMO) estimate of our numbers? 15,000 maybe? So if every one of us bought one ahead - didn't Barry M do 40K in one show -- surely they stocked at least that many for Clay, wouldn't you think? Most of the posts I've read from people who did order just in case are only ordering one (there are exceptions) and saving any others until showtime.

Could be talkin' out my butt (it's been known to happen :imgtongue: ) but it seems reasonable to me.

Claytonic --
Ever since then, he's pretty much added a shirt tug to every performance of the song. By the JBT, IMO, he was doing it more just to tease the fans!

Hee, yep - and I can answer his 'when do I do it'? question too - when he sings 'if hearts were unbreakable'. It most definitely became a nod to the fans by JBT and was always in the same place. I wub him.

Awww Muski - I know what you're saying about Clay's fanbase but I think this QVC thing will hit ALOT of people that aren't just us. I know folks that watch that dang channel all freakin' day! I had an acquaintance at work who got boxes in the mail almost every day from crap uhhhh stuff she ordered. She didn't even remember what half of it was. It's addictive I think. I seriously doubt they're going to cancel him if they run out of CDs.....they're making money off these CDs. The fact they had a second number shows me they're prepared to order more if they need to!

The interview was funny.....especially the yawn he tried to hide. I think he could fly home to Raleigh first thing in the morning and not have to be back to NY until early afternoon for the Tuesday show. Isn't it only a couple of hours in the air? He probably misses his pups, his own bed, friends, family.... and wants a break. Now that the CD is completed he really maybe does have Monday off....

I honestly can't see him laying around all summer with a new CD out there. I'm hoping for a very late summer (August?) or Fall tour! Although didnt he mention somewhere about another UNICEF thing? Doesn't make sense that he would lounge around the house all summer with a new CD out.

I really enjoyed listening to that interview! I agree, muski, I think he's really distracted at the beginning of the interview, because it takes him awhile to really get a coherent thought out. He says um and ah several times, but once he gets going he talks a mile a minute!

Since QVC is going to order another set of CDs, I'm not worried about them selling out right away. I only ordered one, and I think that's what most people who already ordered did. After all, I'll be getting one CD each from Amazon, Itunes, and WalMart, and I'll get one at midnight on release day after a party, so I don't need more from QVC!

I'M ALIVE AND HOME!

Runnin' on empty a little bit - but both New York and Clay both kicked ass!

Let me sleep a bit and I'll tell y'all about it....

Can't wait for your recap, KAndre! You give the funniest recaps around.

It is probably a good thing that he is taking a break, because honestly, he may be young and healthy but he really was burning the candle at both ends doing Spamalot and recording the album at the same time. It is also important for his emotional health that he touches base with the people who loved him when he was Clayton Grissom. I don't know the facts behind everything of course but I just feel that Clay owes it to himself to not take his health for granted. It is amazing to me that he only missed one (is this correct?) Spamalot performance since January 18. Considering it was his first experience on Broadway and being completely out of his comfort zone, it is one heck of a feat.

Hmmm- I can only remember one missed show too. I think it was a Saturday matinee and he was back that night! That IS amazing. (Hellooooo Fantasia - are you listening??)

Smitten at CV transcribed the interview.

TRANSCRIPT

Gary So, tell me about your new album On My Way Here, its out May 6th right

Clay: It is, and its the first time weve done new stuff in 5 years so, its exciting.

Gary: now, what should your fans expect when they grab this album off the shelf.

Clay: um, well again lts the first time weve done so, hopefully, kind of the exciting thing with this is that its stuff thats mine Verses stuff that, you know weve just been singing other peoples songs. SO thats kind of a nice thing, a nice change of pace for us, and Im glad we finally done an album that is fresh, that lyrically is (I heard fanatic, but Im sure thats not what he said lol) We found a song called On My Way here about 8 months ago written by a guy named Ryan Tedder whose..he's in the group one republic, and he wrote the song about how uh..how experiences in your life, and people that you meet and things that you do as your aging, kind of make you who you are, and I thought ya know, what a great..what a great concept. I wonder if we can figure out a way to craft that into the whole album. You know, find songs that may speak to the condition of people who are in their twenties, trying to figure out who they are..you know just, people do a lot of growing when they hit the real world, ya know what I mean? Or maybe more specifically, more personally, try to speak to things that maybe Ive learned in the past 5 years. Or I have experienced and its just changed me in the past 5 years so its the firs time on an album that weve really listened to lyrics more then other things. I mean, the songs had to be great, and sonically..I mean melodically they had to be things I wanted to sing etcetera etcetera, but lyrically we really paid attention this time.

Gary: Now kind of talk about that, the last 5 years, like you said a lot of people change, you know as theyre going through life, especially as theyre going through their 20's and 30's, but for you thats gotta be magnified because you were on that national stage on American Idol and just were kinda put up there and people instantly fell in love with you, and look at all these..

Clay: at least half of them, a little less then half of them.

Gary: That is true I guess

Clay: you know, um, its a different job first of all, I mean obviously theres a whole bunch of changes, but I kind of tell people ya know its just a different job then you have and, it happens to be that people see me more, but you know I think that thats, theres a lot of misconceptions about it, theres a song on the album called The Real Me, that talks about "plastic smile, dont let anybody in" and talks about how, sometimes I feel like people think they know me and who I am, because of what they see on tv, or what theyve heard or what theyve read, this that and the other and its not really who I am, and theres a song about that on there and uh, I have to think about some of the other songs, theres a song called ashes about, you know, that someone told me what doesnt kill you, only makes you stronger, sets you free..talks about rising from the ashes, and I thought..you know, everything thats happened hasnt been rosey the last 5 years, I mean nothings ever rosy, if you have a blessed life and nothing is ever wrong, then your probably not going to grow up to be a strong person or a well rounded person as the people who have had crap happen to them, so I appreciate those things to. I dont think that, I dont like to pretend that the things that have happened to me, are worse then whats happened to other people, and I also dont tend to think or pretend to think that all the things that have happened to me are better then whats happened to most people, theyre just different. So we hope that with these songs that some of them are interprable. People have asked me, since Ive talked about the fact that some of them are somewhat personal to me, that they mean this that or the other, I hesitate sometimes to tell which ones they are, that are personal because um, I just dont want to sully someone elses intrepretation of the song, what one song might mean to me, may mean something completely different to someone else

Greg: thats one of the great things about music

Clay: right, and I dont want to, and weve kind of in a way struggled to find that, you know this ashes song, to me it just talks about experiences and junk, to someone else it can be relationship ya know? the real me could be something that someone sings to their lover, to their mother, to their brother, to their..ya know, to God..its all interpreted differently, and I know people who have heard that song that weve done and thought, oh thats a religious song, and plenty of people will think that, I do..and some people dont.

Gary: What about a tour for all this, I know all your fans especially with this new album come out are going to be clamoring to see you onstage, is that something youve got in the works?

Clay: We dont, when Im done for the promo for this album toward the middle of may, at least the first run of promo, itll be the first time I had 2 days in a row off since uh, in a long time, since October I think, so Im looking forward to kind of taking a break, I havent spent the summer in my house here in raleigh since Ive had it, and I want to do that, so were going to take a little time off, Im sure we'll tour on it eventually but just not right away.

Gary: Great, and you know..kind of talk about your fans, I mean you mentioned them earlier, and theyre a big part of who you are and they follow your every move realigiously, I mean whats that like and what do they mean to you?

Clay: Um well, its confusing first of all, I dont really quite understand it, I wouldnt follow me around if I didnt have to, obviously Im here because of them, without question, I mean I would have not gone on this long if it werent for people that have been loyal and supportive and so Im extremely appreciative, I mean I joke with them sometimes, theres some of them that we actually recognize now after months or years of them following us on tour, I recognize faces and we know a few names, and I tease around with them, that theyre crazy and that I dont get why they like me still. If they could see me now, Im sitting here in my pajamas, getting my hair cut, talking on the phone, and I havent, I dont think Ive..I havent taken a bath or anything and I look a mess, thats celebrity right there. So glamerous

Gary: There ya go, E true hollywood story, now youve done spamalot,something people have been asking me is do you have any aspirations to do acting, I mean youve done some guest stints and stuff like that, do you want to do a movie, do you want to do a tv series?

Clay: um I, we try to stay open to everything, every opportunity that comes along, and thats the best that I can do. The reason we picked spamalot over some other choices that we had, other opportunities that we had, and asked I guess, was that in addition to being the funniest show in the city, the funniest show in the country, it is..it was different, it wasnt about me singing only it was more about acting and playing a part, not neccessarily because its always been a goal of mine, but because we wanted to be well rounded and we wanted to stretch and try to do different things, and um..I had a great time doing it. You know, Ive always enjoyed doing tv stuff, you know Im not seeking out a movie no, Im not seeking out another broadway show either, but if the right thing comes along, great

Gary: I wanted to ask you about idol, are you following it at all this season.

Clay: oh Gary, dont waste your question on that, cause I havent watched it, you wont get anything out of me.

Gary: Ok, thats cool, one thing I wanted to ask you is, you said your fans know you well, or think they know you well whats something maybe that they dont know about you?

Clay: A few years ago I was doing something like this, but it was someone had taken questions from fans and let them submit their own questions, and one of them said you know, we know everything about you, but we dont know your favorite color is, what is it?

Gary: someone actually mentioned that to me and thought it might be green.

Clay: I said I would never answer the question, I said if thats the only thing that I get to keep to myself then thats what im gonna keep, people have guessed every color

Gary: well great, it was really nice to talk to you

Clay: You to, thank you Gary

Gary: and Im glad that things are going well for you, and I wish you the best of luck in the future.

Clay: thanks I appreciate it.

Gary: have a good day

Can't vouch for this as I haven't checked myself but...from CH:

CLAY STO wrote:

You don't suppose they will sell out of his CD at QVC before he's on tomorrow night? eek. I want him on for the full hour and then some, if possible -- maybe singing six of his songs. yes, I'm piggish that way

That could happen.....F05428 (the number for earlier delivery) is already gone from the QVC site, I had to order using F05386 for delivery after May 15th.

And now I am off to CPR training. Have a good day!

The correct order number if F05386, so that was misinformation. F05428 is the number for the back-up, later delivery orders.

Clay will be there for at least the full 1/2 hour. I have no doubt. Cancelling a live appearance and moving on after an item or item theme runs out is entirely different. They can get as many CDs as they need, hence the back-up order number. The CD will probably remain on sale on the site even after the show is over.

I'm cool with it too, Gibby. It's new music from Clay!!! I think WINY must be from about the same era (that is, recorded around the same time) as IYDKMBN, which is one of my favorites from ADTW, and that was a bonus too.

Yes, I'm really looking forward to WINY. I was thinking that was originally rumored to be recorded for MOAM, though. Are you saying, jmh, that you thought IYDKMBY was also possibly recorded in that time frame?

Yes, that's what I've always thought. It just sounds more like AI Clay to me

I'M ALIVE AND HOME!

Runnin' on empty a little bit - but both New York and Clay both kicked ass!

Let me sleep a bit and I'll tell y'all about it....

YAY!! Looking forward to hearing from you and the rest of the eHP!!!!

We get to see Clay on TV tonight. Hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Yep, I'm glad he's planning on taking some time off, too. I can't imagine how anybody could begrudge him that after the whirlwind of goodies he's given us over the past months...I mean, REALLY! We've had something new to ooh and ahh about almost every day for a hellaciously long time! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

This man just tickles me to no end! He's so freaking intriguing and fascinating and enigmatic and all those other synonyms...tour/no tour/maybe tour/soon/not now/some day...BWAH! :cryingwlaughter:

And of course we have the HAIR to discuss! :lmaosmiley-1: OMG! Since he was in RALEIGH getting his hair cut, does that mean Jamie is going to slaughter his tresses for the QVC show? Heeee! The man is always worth a squee, ain't he? :DoClay:

Claytonic's innocent question about "the tug" reminded me of a great radio interview that was done up as a montage, as pictures were added. It included the female DJ asking him about the tug, the clutch and one other move, lots of great Clay laughs and the reading of a fan report/comment about Clay harboring Weapons Of Mass Seduction.

It was saved on my computer for just the longest time and after a recent crash, I just now realize it is one of the many things I have yet to replace. Except I have forgotten what it is called and I don't know how to look for it.

Does anyone here have a clue as to what I am talking about?

Yep, I'm glad he's planning on taking some time off, too. I can't imagine how anybody could begrudge him that after the whirlwind of goodies he's given us over the past months...I mean, REALLY!

So, I take it you're new to the Clay Nation? :cryingwlaughter: I was just rolling my eyes about a post on that very subject elsewhere...

Hah - Bottlecap - I bet we were reading the same post!!!! :cryingwlaughter: I had to break a cardinal rule and actually post after that. It just amazes me sometimes the sense of ownership some people feel for Clay's career!!! And how they know so much more about what he should do than he and his management team (and yes, even the label) Those votes 5 years ago don't mean you get to decide what he does from here on out!!! But it always squicks me out when I read crap like that because it's just a slap in the face to Clay - like he doesn't have a business brain in his head and doesn't have a clue that you only do 2 weeks promo for a new CD. I'm QUITE sure he's alot more savvy than that. There's probably the outline of a master plan in that adorable head that he's just not ready to divulge yet!

In any case - I have tivo'ed everything I can think of and will sit back and relax and listen to my WalMart, QVC, iTunes, KMart and Amazon CDs (since I won't be able to afford to do anything else.....hee!) and watch my recordings and feel blessed that there is someone so awesome to gahhhhhhhh over. I like what Muski said about him being intriguing and fascinating and enigmatic. Three most excellent adjectives for Clay.

rohdy, I dooooooo (t/m Knights of Ni) but I'll be danged if I know what it's called or who put it together---a fact that obviously makes this post of mine totally useless to you...., sorry. :blush:

bottle and Iseeme, don't even tell me where you were reading or whose post it was. I betcha that even though I don't really read there, I know....I know. :cryingwlaughter:

Sigh....I'm at work and really, really need to get to work but really, really don't want to. Maybe I'll start feeling yucky later today and have to leave early?...sorta maybe in time to get home by 4 pm? :imgtongue:

On the QVC topic - I'm going wait (cuz it's more special) but I have to wonder if 'we' aren't over-estimating the online fandom a tad. On the Clayboard there is quite the tizzy going on, on both sides of the equation. Not sure about the rest of Clay-land. What's a high-end (IMO) estimate of our numbers? 15,000 maybe? So if every one of us bought one ahead - didn't Barry M do 40K in one show -- surely they stocked at least that many for Clay, wouldn't you think? Most of the posts I've read from people who did order just in case are only ordering one (there are exceptions) and saving any others until showtime.

Hee, you are probably right. I will stop panicking now. ;) Is it 7 pm yet? Oh wait, it's only lunchtime..this afternoon I get to practice CPR on mannequins. One of my co-workers suggested this morning that perhaps I should print out my computer wallpaper and tape it over the face. :lol:

I honestly can't see him laying around all summer with a new CD out there. I'm hoping for a very late summer (August?) or Fall tour! Although didnt he mention somewhere about another UNICEF thing? Doesn't make sense that he would lounge around the house all summer with a new CD out.

I don't know, it makes sense to me...he may have Unicef planned (as you mention) and maybe other charity related things (BAF). He may just want to rest! And really, at least in this neck of the woods, they are already announcing concerts for September and beyond! With the Clay Nation's sleuthing skills, I'm sure they would have turned something up if there was anything there to find. Won't surprise me if we hear about some Christmas dates soon! :P

So I found my place in the training room this morning, and one of the women, who I have done work for a couple of times, mentioned Spamalot to me, because she remembered that I was a Clay fan, and somehow, she's heard about it (my best guess is on AI the other day). The woman beside her said "oh, I know a woman, she is his biggest fan!" Heh, the other one says "oh, you don't know [insert my real name here]." I said "I am flying to NYC to see it on Saturday". :) Then I made sure to mention the new album next week. The woman both agreed that he had had one of the most succesful careers off of AI. I love when those kind of conversations happen spontaneously!

Thanks Muski....curtsie.gif.........but after much searching, I found the interview....blissysmile9lm9cm.gif....not the montage I had..but the important parts are here!

Claytonic....this is a funny interview, from Aug '03, that covers the basics of "The Tug"

The Tug

Claytonic's innocent question about "the tug" reminded me of a great radio interview that was done up as a montage, as pictures were added. It included the female DJ asking him about the tug, the clutch and one other move, lots of great Clay laughs and the reading of a fan report/comment about Clay harboring Weapons Of Mass Seduction.

It was saved on my computer for just the longest time and after a recent crash, I just now realize it is one of the many things I have yet to replace. Except I have forgotten what it is called and I don't know how to look for it.

I think it might be this one here ncclaymate's New Clutch. I know I have it on my home computer - I just thought it had a different name. I know it was over 9 minutes long and this one is, so....

I agree, Iseeme - it's not so much that fan 'experts' speak like they know all there is to know about managing a career in entertainment, as it is the implication that Clay is stupid/naive. The hubris of it is mind boggling. I do wonder how it is they have so much time to post on message boards when clearly a career in celebrity management is out there waiting for them. *eyeroll*

I think it might be this one here ncclaymate's New Clutch. I know I have it on my home computer - I just thought it had a different name. I know it was over 9 minutes long and this one is, so....

Thanks for posting that link! It was great fun to re-listen to that interview. They were really cracking up and teasing each other!

Yipppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee - now I'm all yammy after watching that vid. I love seeing him strut all over the stage singing that song!!! Reminds me of the first time I saw him "live" in San Jose at the Idol tour. I still love Invisible - hope he never stops doing it. Thanks Cindi..... :F_05BL17blowkiss: It's also fun seeing skinny, young Clay! So much raw talent that hadn't fully developed yet. But even then he knew how to work the crowd and work the stage!!!

6 hours to QVC on the West coast......but who's counting!!!! :imgtongue:

I love this part right here

Well I'm not going to tell them. Let them figure it out. It is true, it's in at least one, it might actually be in two, but it's in at least one. Let them guess! I can't believe I told that... I do love that sound. We decided to get an upright piano, and do it that way, and when I heard it I was like," HOLY CRAP! That's it!"
it reminds me of Robin saying "No Sire, I was running TOOOO...." :cryingwlaughter:

I love kim's countdown, but it's handy for me to have dates on things!

So I went to the calendar and made this handy-dandy little list:

Apr 28 - QVC (7-8) - CD Debut!

May 1 - VH1 Top 20 Countdown

May 6 - CD Release

May 7 - GMA

May 8 - The View

May 12 - Leno (Tonight Show)

May 16 - Jimmy Kimmel (5/15 midnight)

May 19 - Craig Ferguson

and I just want to add.... EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!1!!!!!@21!!!111

I really do think he needs to take the summer off from touring...but just as Iseeme said...I don;t see him just sitting around his backyard for two months. I can see that for a couple of weeks. I bet he will do some traveling...either with friends or for UNICEF...and I also wouldn;t be surprised if he does some interviews or even a performance here or there. But a summer tour at this point is not really advisable from a health POV or even from a career standpoint. He needs to build up excitement for this CD among the fans...build up his fanbase through this CD promo...

I'm so frigging happy that Clay's not touring this summer. I damned near died of heat stroke last year.

Give a cheer for cool weather touring!!!!!