#31: The Very Handsome Sir Clay of Aiken

ldyjocelyn

FCA Thread Title Poll  

38 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• The man with the titanium balls - and the voice to back them up!
    • OMG, chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills
    • They are seeing what WE see ? a brilliant, intelligent, and genuinely funny and lovely man.
    • Clay Aiken, I love your mad talented, tender-hearted, freakin' Broadway star, soul!
    • I'm totally jonesing for Clay Aiken's voice right now. God! I need to be sedated.
    • I could listen to that Raleigh son rattle on all day long. He makes me smile.
    • The whole damn thing was perfect!

LdyJ, I'm sharing WOTW with you.

<snip>

IF, TPTB had come to me and said, "kf, you've heard the CD, which one should be choose for the single? If they had forced me to choose by threatening Guantanamo, I'd probably say Where I Draw the Line. But the one I enjoy listening to the most right now is Forget I Ever Knew You. I think that song is HOT!!! My sister has an Amazon copy of OMWH and when she heard FIEKY she had to go to Walmart and buy another copy. It has the same U2 texture that I get from WOTW, but FIEKY has a New Year's Day flavor.

TWIN!!!!!!!! (Hey, if CG and YSRN can be twins, I can have one too!) I think I love both WOTW and FIEKY because of that sound, and yes, it's a U2 vibe for me. Yes, I get "New Year's Day" by U2 out of FIEKY, but I also thing there's some later U2 in there as well. I'm gonna have to pull out a few of their last albums and go through them to figure out which song I'm thinking about.

Morning wake up call: I woke up singing "As Long as We're Here."

I'm in LURVE with the Nightline clip. What a cool little piece! We got to hear some about his musical influences, and why he chooses songs, IMO. *Note to self: buy a copy of the Kirk Franklin song for iPod*

You know, I've known Simon is an ass regarding Clay for a long time now. Why should today be any different? luckiest, I was in the same boat last night, had no clue about what was going on. Did a little reading, and decided that some boards must have to have to have something or someone to fight with all the angst.

I wouldn't mind if Clay was on AI again, but he says that's not going to happen this year. Big whoop. However, if this album has legs, he could always be on NEXT year. *g*

cha cha, the Today piece is in the 4th hour of Today; it's supposed to be an interview of Clay by Kathy Lee Gifford. No concert.

Whoever said 'timing is everything,' really knew what they were talking about...Hey, bottlecap....remember a couple of weeks ago sitting in a Dean and DeLuca's, about 100 feet away from Kathy Lee Gifford interview some guy we didn't know?

That's where Clay will be today. Right there, with Kathy Lee, and I wonder if someone will be sitting in that same coffee shop wondering what's going on out there and who's being interviewed just like we were.

Nah...everyone will know who's there by the crowds and the buzz. It will be a madhouse. Still I wonder who'll be in my seat today, looking out the window.

I was thinking about that very thing this morning. I'm such a midwestern geek, one of the highlights of the whole NYC trip (beside multiple Spams) was seeing the places where the morning shows are broadcast in person and in context.

Got to watch the Nightline piece before work this a.m. LOVED it! Was that new info about them asking EJ specifically about DLTSGDOM for Clay? First time I've ever heard that! Serendipity is a good thing!

I love that she said 'after two days of sales, it looks like a hit'. Because, yeah. It IS. At least third and possibly second on the charts? Only in Clay Land could that be considered something awful. And I still don't believe it will remain at 85K - not with his mainstream publicity starting, for all intents and purposes, the day after it dropped. I don't think HDD takes that into consideration. What I really hope not to see once it happens is banner headlines shouting 'we did it!!!!!' Cuz yeah, Clay did it.

I honestly can't say I have a favorite song on OMWH. The whole CD is simply amazing. Yes, I am madly in love with TRM and it's 'frailty' and 'belieeeeeeeeeeeee eee eeeeeeeeee eve'. But every single song on it has a certain.. special..... something. I have had Clay's music playing at work practically every day for 5 years now, and it's never been a problem. But this one? gahhh - I can't even concentrate when it's playing. I find I must listen. Yes it has some different sounds - like he said, something for everyone. And yet, they all feel like part of the whole. I've been streaming from AOL and Clear Channel rather than listen to the CD (doing my part, master!) so I haven't listened to the bonus tracks much. Thus, my listening experience ends with Lover All Alone. And it is simply perfect.

One interesting thing - I haven't been able to listen along with the lyrics yet. But I know the words to Ashes already. *g*

I went into the Real MusicStore this morning and Clay had a prominent spot on the home page. Clay's top five downloaded songs in the past 24 hours are:

1 On My Way Here

2 Falling

3 The Real Me

4 Everything I Don't Need

5 Ashes

RealPlayerHomePage.jpg

I thought it was pretty cool they did that piece on Broadway with Clay and Tamyra. Has everyone forgotten about that??

Not me! That was way cool. Loved it.

Can't wait for Today Show recaps.

I love the way Clay sings "frozen" in Ashes. That is my special word today. heh.

Loved that piece from Nightline! I forget now who posted the link, but thank you!

Also thanks to whoever posted the youtube of the Kirk Franklin piece...what a great bopper! Saved that puppy down; I'll try and DL it from Itunes, but the chances of getting it in Canada I suspect are slim to none.

I'm looking forward to seeing Clay on Today...what a great week this has been, and I've been SO fortunate as to be working from home this week, so I can take "lunch" whenever he is on and watch it live, which I love to do. Nothing like seeing it in context.

Ahhhh, NYC....I SO want to go back again! I'm hoping Clay will have something again I can go to, but if not friends and I have already made tentative plans to meet there for a round of sightseeing and fun. My Spamalot visit was my first, and I absolutely loved it. I didn't really think I would, as I'm not really a city kind of a girl...but it was great!

Have a good one, everyone!

I love the way Clay sings "frozen" in Ashes. That is my special word today. heh.

Special word for today - I like that idea! :clap:

I'll have to think about that one. Guess I need another listen so I can pick one.

Rainy, rainy day. Usually I hate driving to work in weather like this but this morning I'll have Clay's magnificent new album OMWH to keep me company! My only regret is I haven't had time to put FIEKY on my iPod! Love that song.

Can't wait for the listening party tonight!

I want people to hear this CD!!!!

Its too good to miss.

Off to work. Woo hoo????

I went into the Real MusicStore this morning and Clay had a prominent spot on the home page. Clay's top five downloaded songs in the past 24 hours are:

1 On My Way Here

2 Falling

3 The Real Me

5 Ashes

Interesting....a different selection from iTunes altogether, except for OMWH and TRM.

You know, I sort of miss the old constant "DO NOT PANIC; DO NOT EXTRAPOLATE" at the CH - so very much whining and angst could be avoided.

Newest guesses from HDD as of this morning:

YOUR WEAKEND TOP 10 CHART PREVIEW: Good news, kiddies-there will be five debuts in next week's Top 10, and one of them will actually break 100k! That would be Neil Diamond, whose second Rick Rubin-produced Columbia album is headed toward the top of the chart, with a projected 125-130k. Behind the old-timer will be RCA/RMG's debuting Clay Aiken, who should come tantalizingly close to six figures, with 90-95k. Madonna's Hard Candy (WB) appears to be melting toward 85-90k in its second week, probably good enough for #3 in this age of diminished expectations, though she probably can’t wait to get her act to Live Nation. Another diva, Mariah Carey (Island/IDJ), will likely be next with 80-85k, while the sophomore album of J/RMG's Gavin DeGraw is headed for a bow in the neighborhood of 70-75k, which would probably get him to #5. The rest of the Top 10 should go something like this: Toby Keith (Show Dog/Mercury Nashville), 70-75k: Leona Lewis (Syco/J/RMG), 65-70k; Josh Groban (143/WB), 50-55k; and Dierks Bentley (Capitol Nashville), 28-32k; with #10 up for grabs between Reprise's Michael Buble Wal-Mart exclusive EP at 28-32k and Taylor Swift (Big Machine/Universal Republic) 28-30k. You are now free to get back to going through your Facebook notifications. (5/9a)

and frankly don't think the online Clay Nation had that much to do with it - I think that's just the "NJUs" seeing and hearing him in a variety of places - the same group of people (you know, nonobsessed fans) that discover and buy 200-300 ATDW every week. (I check that USA Idol Chatter blog periodically - it keeps stuff in perspective.

Gah. I forgot how much I love how his voice and the cello become one on Lover All Alone.

:wub:

and frankly don't think the online Clay Nation had anything to do with it - I think that's just the "NJUs" seeing and hearing him in a variety of places - the same group of people that discover and buy 200-300 ATDW every week.

Yep - I agree wif that. Kinda said the same thing last page - his promo really began this week. LOTS of folks who had no idea he had a new CD out will be hitting the stores before Monday.

I've decided that my word of the day is the second to last "why" that he wails on in ALAWH. Love that powerful voice.

1 On My Way Here

2 Falling

3 The Real Me

5 Ashes

Interesting....a different selection from iTunes altogether, except for OMWH and TRM.

Not to belabor the "age" thing, but does that have anything to do with it? Does Real Music skew older or younger than iTunes? Or does it really make a difference.

Need more coffee.

and frankly don't think the online Clay Nation had anything to do with it - I think that's just the "NJUs" seeing and hearing him in a variety of places - the same group of people that discover and buy 200-300 ATDW every week.

Yep - I agree wif that. Kinda said the same thing last page - his promo really began this week. LOTS of folks who had no idea he had a new CD out will be hitting the stores before Monday.

And better yet, he's got MORE publicity next week (including a biggie IMO, which is Leno), which will cause more people to go out and buy the album NEXT week. I'm hoping this will keep his second week sales drop (which will probably happen, it happens to everyone) to a lesser degree than other releases. I truly want him to have some legs with this album.

Phew for the new HDD estimated numbers! I had been feeling slightly guilty for buying the new Gavin DeGraw CD when I was at Target earlier this week. Now I don't feel so bad since his numbers remain well below Clay's.

KeepingFaith said:

If Idol was "moving on" then what's the deal with having Bo Bice, Kim Locke and Elliot Yamin on the show this year. Who's next, Justin Guarini to sing Unchained Melody?

Ummmm....they're C listers? None of them has made much of a "mark" in the recording industry. There's no way they'll steal the show - so-to-speak! So instead of AI celebrating their successes with new artists they're running scared of the new ones not measuring up to some of them - coughClayAikencough for example. That's my theory anyway!!!!

I think it's a good theory. The article I read before the season started was Nigel talking about focusing on ex idols that the public may have lost track of...like he didn't even seem to know what became of KLO. If you take out Idol gives back, have any major idols of note been back this season? We'll see about the finale though cuz usually the bigger idols end up there.

The Nightline thing was great.

I am way superstitious when it comes to predicting things (offers up whatever sacrifice the Knights of Ni demand) but I won't be surprised to see Clay sell about the same next week. Leno, Kimmel - oh yeah baby!!!

I swear, people do NOT read my posts...

Clay's gonna be in the FOURTH hour of Today, which is 10:00 - 11:00 a.m. EDT. There should be another half hour at least before we get anything.

Regarding the person who worked with Sir Elton to get Clay to sing DLTSGDOM -- it could be Byrd, but I wondered if it wasn't Simon Fuller. I'll have to do a little digging to see if they have a connection.

And I thought this was weird -- it looked as if ABC ripped a YouTube clip of that performance of Clay's to show. How strange.

Clay Aiken, who should come tantalizingly close

:hubbahubba:

I'm sharing a brain with keepingfaith....well, about the AI thang. She can be ldyj's twin with the faves on the cd, but she and I can be twins re: all the hubbub that's surrounding Clay not being on AI. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Wouldn't it be funny sad ironic a pisser if Clay debuted at #2 for this CD, too? Again?

heh...Oh yeah, he'd love that. :rolleyes::cryingwlaughter:

I'm serious. He would. Me too. :lilredani:

Ah, word of the day? I'll take the...oh, crap...gotta go...

To be cont'd....

:cry4: I fell asleep before Clay appeared on Nightline and woke up shortly after it ended.

Me too!! :cry4:

I know he's supposed to be on later on the Today show, but... but... but... I didn't hear any mention of his name at all this morning... :(

On the bright side, I woke up singing ALAWH this morning! Can't wait for the listening party tonight!

Oooooh! YAY for the revised HDD numbers! Go Clay, with your awesome new CD! :clap:

Clay's gonna be in the FOURTH hour of Today, which is 10:00 - 11:00 a.m. EDT. There should be another half hour at least before we get anything.

I read your post. I'm just early morning TV challenged and couldn't figure out when the 4th hour was ! :imgtongue:

Too lazy to check the TV Guide.

I know he's supposed to be on later on the Today show, but... but... but... I didn't hear any mention of his name at all this morning... :(

Not so fast! From Get Clay Aiken:

Ann Curry (sp?) just mentioned Clay after the America's Favorite Mom segment. Said he had something special to share with us and showed the clip of him singing OMWH in the studio (green sweater) from that Amazon.com video

OMG!

I'm watching them interview Henry Winkler and these people rush by the window behind the interview, and I noticed a very tall black man rush by. Thanks to the magic of DVR, I backed up the show and it was Clay (with a hood over his head, but it was him) followed by Jerome and Mary. There was a guy in front of Clay, but I didn't recognize him.

Heeeeeeeee! He's there!

Nope, I read your posts....but on my TV this morning, it only showed the Today show from 7 - 9 am EDT. Maybe I was looking at the wrong show?

OMG!

I'm watching them interview Henry Winkler and these people rush by the window behind the interview, and I noticed a very tall black man rush by. Thanks to the magic of DVR, I backed up the show and it was Clay (with a hood over his head, but it was him) followed by Jerome and Mary. There was a guy in front of Clay, but I didn't recognize him.

Heeeeeeeee! He's there!

Hee! That is so cool! I hope we get clack of that!

Word of the day? I can do that!

KAndre thinks reeeeeeeally hard...

OK, I pick....CARNAL.

He might not sing it but I sure as hell think it!

Talk about CUTE!!! :flirtysmile3:

GMA Wink

Click to play..... :)