#31: The Very Handsome Sir Clay of Aiken

ldyjocelyn

FCA Thread Title Poll  

38 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• The man with the titanium balls - and the voice to back them up!
    • OMG, chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills
    • They are seeing what WE see ? a brilliant, intelligent, and genuinely funny and lovely man.
    • Clay Aiken, I love your mad talented, tender-hearted, freakin' Broadway star, soul!
    • I'm totally jonesing for Clay Aiken's voice right now. God! I need to be sedated.
    • I could listen to that Raleigh son rattle on all day long. He makes me smile.
    • The whole damn thing was perfect!

I love Ashes, but I love Falling even more, despite that freakishly annoying synthy-thing sounds effect in the middle.

Meeee toooooo!

But I like the synthy-thing.

The opening of Falling is.... well, it's..... I don't know..... I just like it.

I'm really looking forward to the listening party! :clap:

I just had an experience.....was getting my hair cut and an older lady (older than me, anyway) walked in and was chatting with us. When I took the gown off she remarked on my t-shirt (I'm Not Dead Yet) and I said I had seen Clay Aiken in Spamalot recently in New York. About that time I was taking my checkbook out (which has Clay photos on it) and she asked who it was. I said....Clay Aiken! She made a face. I asked her what she was making a face for and she said "have you SEEN him lately? His hair is horrible. What's with the blonde." I counted to myself, smiled, and said "have you HEARD him lately? His new CD is out and it's awesome! And besides, I could care less what he does with his hair as long as he keeps singing to me!" She seriously did not know what to say at that point so then she launched into an attack on David Archuleta (she wasn't a complete fool - only a partial one) and I beat a hasty retreat!

GRrrrrrrrrrrrr..............

Mmm, I like that Backstage interview. I really love his attitude (and I sooooo admire him) about the tabloid shit. Part of the job. I sincerely hope that he really is able to look at it that way. That it's 'Clay Aiken' they so relentlessly pursue, not Clayton. Please let it be so.

I'm really looking forward to the listening party!

:blink:

:(

:cry4:

But half a listening party is better than no listening party, isn't it????

(Don't suppose you could duck out on the family outing for a couple hours saying you just have to go the bathroom.....)

So today the two songs that have been running around my brain while I sit here at work are GOG and OMWH. Somehow, OMWH seems permanently stuck there!

I so want people to hear this CD. I know many won't like it. I know people have very diverse musical tastes and it may not be everyone's cup of tea. And that's ok. But I just know there are people out there who have no opinion of Clay one way or the other that would like this album. Its too good to languish away until it slowing slips from sight.

Oh goody! Its time to leave. I have to go to my mother's tonight but once in my car I can listen to Clay again!!!

YAY!!

Later gators!

I've decided people are just nuts. Either that, or on some sort of weird power trip. They so need Clay/his music to fit into what they think it should be, they can't or won't listen to anyone, even Clay.

And there you have it in a nutshell. Some folks are just knucking futs and there's nothing we can do about it, except try not to give them the attention they crave.

Oh no you didn't diss that cool effect in the middle of Falling!

Oh, is that what it is? I didn't realize it was a cool effect...I just thought there was something wrong with my cheap ass CD player at work. But then it happened again on the CD player in the car, then on the CD player at home. I had come to the decision that my CD was flawed! So I guess one persons "cool effect" is another persons "flawed CD". :cryingwlaughter: I love the song. Just don't care for the..uh...'effect'. :)

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! I just got to watch the View, and he was soooooooooooo good! He looked fabulous, and he sang wonderfully. I love the little change ups, and the little "ooo ooo ooo" at the end. :)

OK, luckiest, I've never been logged out before as you've described....and it just happened to me! JINX!!!

Unfortunately, I did NOT "copy" beforehand, and I've lost every. single . thing I wanted to high-five someone for and/or help them eeeeeehhh! over. CRAP.

So~the Raleigh CDR party was fun! Lowkey, we gabbed and ate and watched clack and went over to the B&N across the street at midnight and screamed the countdown in front of their doors. It was a blast!!

They would only let us buy a maximum of 2 CD's though....what's up with that?? <_<

It was Soooooo cool to be reading along, minding my own business, mentally bitch-slapping people over at the OFC last night; then I came across this post that made a WHOLE lot of sense....then I looked at the poster's name :cryingwlaughter: ...THEN I started to cry! :clap: Made my day. Made my week. Made my YEAR. LOVE that man!!!

He looked stunning yesterday on GMA, and today on The View and sounded great too small voice...although the girls were a little off on the backup for Ashes, which I'm sure they'll fix.

Loved Elizabeth Hasselback's reaction!

Saw someone mentioning the piano player as looking like Sean...heee....that's Sean's companion, Ben.

Am I the only one that thinks the guitar player on GMA (didn't notice on The View today) looks a LOT like David "X" (can't remember his name) on AI this year? Thought for a few minutes it WAS him.

Can't find a pic right now.

Sounds like a busy day for Clay tomorrow! Sure hope all this hard work results in some additional numbers on the chart for him...wish I could make it be, but...the lottery hasn't come in yet!

Oh no you didn't diss that cool effect in the middle of Falling!

Oh, is that what it is? I didn't realize it was a cool effect...I just thought there was something wrong with my cheap ass CD player at work. But then it happened again on the CD player in the car, then on the CD player at home. I had come to the decision that my CD was flawed! So I guess one persons "cool effect" is another persons "flawed CD". :cryingwlaughter: I love the song. Just don't care for the..uh...'effect'. :)

:naughtywag:

It's In Everyone Of Us......This is probably the only song I would skip. That is all I will say about it. I really like WIDTL and WOTW. I like the flute or whatever it is I'm hearing. I love the lyrics to most all these songs. Sorry I can't make the CD discussion tonight, but am anxious to read everyone's thoughts. The favorites and least favorites of everyone.

I forgot to mention that Kenny & Dolly song, "Islands In The Stream," is mine and my husbands song. :dan1: We have an anniversary this month too. 24 years............. :cryingwlaughter: I knew Clay and I had similar tastes in music. Well, not always, but a lot of the time. :cryingwlaughter:

Oh, by the way, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME. Have a good evening.

I haven't been here in a while and I'm not even going to attempt to catch up. Real life has been challenging lately. DH was in the hospital for almost a week after a scary trip to the emergency room. He's doing much, much better now and may even go back to work next week.

I did manage to sneak in a quick trip to NY last Saturday to see the matinee of Spam. I caught sight of Couch Tomato (at least I think so) across the theater, but never got to say hi.

As far as the new CD: I am absolutely in LOVE with the whole thing.

It's In Everyone Of Us......This is probably the only song I would skip. That is all I will say about it. I really like WIDTL and WOTW. I like the flute or whatever it is I'm hearing. I love the lyrics to most all these songs. Sorry I can't make the CD discussion tonight, but am anxious to read everyone's thoughts. The favorites and least favorites of everyone.

I forgot to mention that Kenny & Dolly song, "Islands In The Stream," is mine and my husbands song. :dan1: We have an anniversary this month too. 24 years............. :cryingwlaughter: I knew Clay and I had similar tastes in music. Well, not always, but a lot of the time. :cryingwlaughter:

Oh, by the way, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME. Have a good evening.

Clayzorback... HAPPY ANNIVERSARY AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

:laola0:

Simon just makes himself look stupid when he tries to mock Clay! I hope this boomerangs on him and AI and helps Clay sell more cds. Take that and stuff it, Slimon!!! :whatutterclaptrap:

keldanker... glad to see you back! Glad DH is so much better and you can play again.

I did manage to sneak in a quick trip to NY last Saturday to see the matinee of Spam. I caught sight of Couch Tomato (at least I think so) across the theater, but never got to say hi.

Are you sure it was me....surprisingly this trip I was only mistaken for Berkeley once :cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter: Sends a hug to that sweet sweet person!! No one called me Ethel or KAndre this time around.. but don't know why I'm ever mistaken for the blingged one.

It's interesting how people's tastes differ--which makes it all the more unbelievable that some people seem to think that their preferences speak for the mass of fans. I see that Clazorback doesn't like It's in Everyone of Us, and I think that's so beautiful it almost makes me cry. That and OMWH and EIDN are my complete favorites! My LEAST favorite songs (at the moment as this sometimes changes) is Something about Us and Falling.

(Although "least favorite" when it comes to Clay means I have them on repeat only 20 times instead of 40).

Are you sure it was me....surprisingly this trip I was only mistaken for Berkeley once :cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter: Sends a hug to that sweet sweet person!! No one called me Ethel or KAndre this time around.. but don't know why I'm ever mistaken for the blingged one.

I'm pretty sure it was you cuz I hugged you in Las Vegas. Hee! Never met Berkeley or KAndre. And it definitely was not Ethel. Anyway, sorry I didn't get to give you another hug. Separated by a sea of Clay fans and assorted NJU. :F_05BL17blowkiss:

You know.............come to think of it, I never saw Ethel at Spamalot. Not once! Maybe I just went on days she didn't?

Hee, I did, however, see a lot of couchie. And cindilu2, and annabear. :cryingwlaughter: I actually have a cool pic of the 3 of them in the middle of 8th avenue at around midnight on the 4th. Is there an off-topic (members only) thread I could post it in? Not sure they want their faces splashed all over main. ;) I'd also love to see other people's pics....I know cha cha was taking some, and I'm sure others were, at O'Lunney's, too. Didn't we have some sort of a thread for that for the Las Vegas stuff? I guess I should go have a look.

Hey couchie & cindilu2, did you know we make an appearance in a Spamalot crowd video?

080504_FinalPostShow_StageDoorCrowd&SpamLightedBanners_AAIT_large.wmv

Hee, around the 1:20 mark. Available at fine vaults everywhere! :P

It was Soooooo cool to be reading along, minding my own business, mentally bitch-slapping people over at the OFC last night; then I came across this post that made a WHOLE lot of sense....then I looked at the poster's name ...THEN I started to cry! Made my day. Made my week. Made my YEAR. LOVE that man!!!

Hee, that is so cool! Glad to hear you had fun in Raleigh. I will see you in Toronto on Saturday for the CD release party there!

Well, guess I will jump in on the favorite/least favorite discussion and hope this won't be considered sacrilage, but The Real Me is actually my least favorite on the CD. I think it has a lot to do with the background of the song and maybe if I had heard it without knowing that it was written by a woman about her struggle with bulimia, I would like it. But when I hear him singing it (and especially since he uses his falsetto, which I am not that fond of), I hear a song that I think should be sung by a woman and not a man. I know that sounds really sexist and I wish I could get past my pre-conceived notions about the song, because it is a beautiful song. I don't skip it on the CD, I listen to it and am really trying to like it, but so far I am having a hard time.

Takes a deep breath and hits reply...

Kim

I didn't think The Real Me would hit me like it did - but boy did it. I don't care what the songwriter had in mind. Maybe it helps that I never listened to anybody else sing it, and never intend to. But I doubt it. I only care about the incredible sound of Clay's voice singing those words/notes. The word 'frailty' each time about slays me. Reaches right into my chest and squeezes my heart. He makes some of the most beautiful sounds I've ever heard him make during this song. I am totally his bitch while it's playing.

So, you can nominate Clay in two categories and Hannah in one for these Broadway.com awards. If you're so inclined that is. As far as I can tell you have to vote in every category, and only one vote per IP addy. This is for nominations - voting for winners comes later. You can (should?) choose five nominees in each category.

I am sorry not to see Tom or Rick's name anywhere - these two deserve every award there is as far as I'm concerned.

Broadway.com awards

I'm not sure I can really pick a favourite/least favourite at this point. It's weird, it's like certain songs are jumping out at me after a while, but at first I was concentrating on only a few. Today it was definitely GOG, ALAWH, and WOTW. I am hearing things I missed the first time around. I haven't really listened to the two bonus tracks yet, other than once or twice. I think it's because I'm just on overload right now, trying to absorb everything, all the new music and tv appearances and still relive the wonderful time I had a Spamalot, which was only a few days ago, but so much has happened since!

Well, guess I will jump in on the favorite/least favorite discussion and hope this won't be considered sacrilage, but The Real Me is actually my least favorite on the CD. I think it has a lot to do with the background of the song and maybe if I had heard it without knowing that it was written by a woman about her struggle with bulimia, I would like it. But when I hear him singing it (and especially since he uses his falsetto, which I am not that fond of), I hear a song that I think should be sung by a woman and not a man. I know that sounds really sexist and I wish I could get past my pre-conceived notions about the song, because it is a beautiful song. I don't skip it on the CD, I listen to it and am really trying to like it, but so far I am having a hard time.

Takes a deep breath and hits reply...

Kim

OMG!! I love TRM too!! And I'm seriously insane over Clay's falsetto!!!

There's no hope for this fandom if we can't even agree over falsetto! :cryingwlaughter:

You all sure posted a lot today. I've just finished reading it all.

OOlsee you and I have something in common today. I was at the dentist this morning but having a root canal. It went really well. My dentist is young, sweet and gentle and I had the most relaxed hour and a half in the chair because I was listening to the new CD on headphones. It's funny how technology, a discman, from just 5 years ago can seem so outdated and clunky now. Clay's voice relaxes me, makes me feel happy and I really love all the songs, some more than others but all are good. I've got to get this onto my Ipod.

claytonic...thanks for the glossary...it will be a good brain exercise for me to memorize the acronyms.

cha cha trusty...thanks for the caps from TITN DVD. Photo #4 has always been a favourite of mine.

and ldyjocelyn..that link to tsunamimommy's GMA photos had me d/ling so many of them that I wish there was a download them all button.

I enjoyed seeing Clay on the View so much more than the brief appearance on GMA yesterday. Clay looked so good and relaxed and there was no shirt tail hanging out...there's something about a shirt tail hanging out under a sweater that bugs me. I first heard OMWH when I was in NY in early April and I wasn't that impressed but now it has definitely grown on me. I melt every time I hear "I melt every time we kiss" from WIDTL.

cindilu2

I didn't think The Real Me would hit me like it did - but boy did it. I don't care what the songwriter had in mind. Maybe it helps that I never listened to anybody else sing it, and never intend to. But I doubt it. I only care about the incredible sound of Clay's voice singing those words/notes. The word 'frailty' each time about slays me. Reaches right into my chest and squeezes my heart. He makes some of the most beautiful sounds I've ever heard him make during this song. I am totally his bitch while it's playing.
(Italics mine)

YEP

CUTE recap from the CUTE, young peasant from CUTE Clay's Spam finale. :)

Warning: THIS IS LONG!!! Feel free to scroll.

My P(l)easant Experience

One late night many months ago, I decided to check online for Spamalot tickets. Mom and I had not really talked about going, and I pretty much had no hope because of money issues. Well… I decided I wanted to check anyways. I got on the website and searched for seats on May 4th, Clay's last show. "How great would it be," I thought, "to go to that what's-sure-to-be-amazing closing night." I searched for two tickets, best available, when what to my oogling eyes did appear… but two seats in fourth row, center section, and the end of the row next to the right aisle. My heart started pounding and I exclaimed, "MOM!!!!!!! COME LOOK AT THIS!!!!" Well, we grabbed those tickets and held on with all our might. From there our trip blossomed. We arranged to fly in on Saturday, see the show on Sunday night, have a day for shopping on Monday and leave on Tuesday. We knew our good friend ClayIzzaQT was going for closing weekend, and I was thrilled thinking about how many of our Clay friends must be going and how excited I was to see everyone again.

Fast forward to May 3rd. Mom and I knew one show just wouldn't be enough if we actually wanted to see Spamalot… we needed two shows, one for the play, one for Clay . We had mezzanine seats for the 8pm Saturday show, and it was really nice to see everything from far away. It also added to the excitement because now we knew what to look for regarding Clay when we were sitting close. When the audience peasant scene unfolded (with Mr. Ravioli from seat D101) I thought to myself from my mezzanine seat, "I wonder what I would do if I was that person…" I concluded that I would want to flirtatiously wave at Clay. Other than that I had no idea what I would do, but it didn't really matter because I thought, "That's never going to happen to me."

Or was it?

The next day, we got into the Schubert and mom and I excitedly made our way down to our 4th row seats. As I drew closer to my seat, D101, I started to realize something… SEAT D101 WAS THE PEASANT’S SEAT!!!!!! From that point on I was freaking out. I was able to relax during the first act because I knew the peasant scene didn't happen in that act. I also didn't want to get my hopes up too high in case they had changed the seat they used from the night before, however the very nice lady sitting next to us told us at the Sunday matinee show it was D101 as well. OMG. I pretty much knew it was going to happen then. Act two came and then I started REALLY freaking out. The Holy Hand Grenade was thrown, and alas, it was D101. Everyone around me who knew what was coming looked at me and some said "Congratulations!" Patsy came and got me (he was so sweet, he told me exactly what to do which was good because I would have probably done something stupid otherwise), found the grail, ClayRobin asked the King if they could reward me, and Patsy led me onstage. That night as I was getting dressed I had decided to choose comfort over looks in my shoe choice. Instead of wearing a pair of silver dressy heels I decided on my black Chuck Taylor Converse sneakers (they went with my outfit and if it was cold after the show my toes wouldn't freeze off waiting at the stage door!). As I got onstage the King exclaimed, "I like your shoes!!!" to which everyone laughed. I said thanks, he asked my name and I said "Margaret." He asked my last name and I told him. Between this moment and the next, I shifted my weight to my left leg which caused me to lean to the left a bit. As I did this I looked past the King and there was Clay's face… poking around the King's head… and he was *beaming* just positively beaming. The best, cutest, handsomest, THUDworthiest smile I have ever seen. You all know what smile I'm talking about… the one where his bottom teeth are showing ever so slightly and his jaw is open a bit… ahhhhhh if only I could have that moment captured in a picture… Seeing his face caused (what I'm sure was) the biggest, silliest grin to permanently fix itself on mine. It also made me less nervous, which I now find odd! Now, you must forgive me because everything starts getting fuzzy here from that Aiken Fog. I’m not totally sure I have the order of everything correct, but this is my best shot at it. I know I won the Best Peasant of the Year Award, and started shaking hands with everyone. I shook Lancelot’s hand, and I remember turning to Clay and starting to put my hand out to shake but he didn’t. Remembering I wanted to wave to him, I did just that, a small, flirty wave. To my sheer delight, he returned it, just as flirty. His face was sort of turned away from me, but his eyes were looking over at me. Kind of a I-don’t-want-her-to-see-me-looking-but-I-want-to-look kind of thing. I saw his shy-boy nervous smile and I could hear everyone laughing and that helped me gain some more confidence, so I waved again and again he returned the wave!! We might have done it once more, too. Lancelot then said to me, “Ohh do you know each other?” but before I could answer I think someone said something. The next thing I remember is the song. I don’t even remember how the song goes (lol) but I do remember something great about it. I remember Clay was knelt down to the front right of me during the song. I remember looking down into that singing, makeup-ed, overly-expressive face *so close* to me and those eyes, squinted in joyful song…singing *my* name…THUD is the only thing more I have to say about that. Oh wait one more thing… somewhere in the song there’s a word that starts with P (probably peasant) and when this word was sung Lancelot overdid the “puh” noise so a puff of air came out of his mouth and blew my hair all over my face! I thought that was funny, the little sh**. Now, it was either after the song or somewhere earlier and I just have the order mixed up, but I know somewhere in this whole ordeal Clay grabbed my hand with both of his. Sadly his hands were gloved so instead of feeling those legendary hands I felt gloves… but they were Clay’s gloves!!! So it was all good. Then it was time for me to return to my seat. I got back to the chair and turned around just in time to see Clay nudge Lancelot and say (I could read his lips), “She’s cute!” THUDTHUDTHUDTHUD. He then proceeded to look for me in the crowd and wave to me again!!! And I waved back. Those waves were the best waves I have ever and ever will receive in my entire life. After all this, I was a shaking pile of goo. Thuded almost to death. It was amazing I could walk and talk, but I pulled through.

After the show seeing Clay on the roof was amazing. Hearing everyone tell me congratulations and how cute Clay and I were was amazing. Hearing other people’s recounts of my time onstage was amazing! Someone told me that Clay looked me up and down, checking me out. Another lady told me she thought he was going to kiss me (I wish!!!!!). All these extra tidbits of knowledge fueled my Clay High.

This next bit I will probably never know if it was luck or it happened on purpose. Since Clay didn’t come out of the stage door I wasn’t able to get my playbill or polaroid signed. I was a bit sad about this but it wasn’t a big deal because I was ecstatic with just being onstage with him. Well… a while after the show and at least 10 minutes after Clay had left the Schubert my mom and I were still there talking to friends. I was still holding my playbill in my hand and I had my polaroid out too because everyone kept asking to see it. Out of the corner of my eye I see a woman dressed all in black walking towards me with her hands behind her back. I thought she was coming over to see the picture and as she was walking over I could tell she was looking at it so I kind of held it out for her to see. Then she said, “Is that a blank playbill?” “Yeah,” I said. She then slowly took it out of my hands and replaced it with one that she had been holding behind her back and walked away. I looked down and to my surprise, I was holding a playbill autographed by Clay!!!!! I looked back to thank the woman, but she was slipping back through the stage door, never to be seen again. I’m wondering if Clay had left it for me!?!?! What a guy *swoon*.

My mom’s and my flight home was scheduled for 4pm on Tuesday, two hours after the CD signing was to start. We had concluded that there was no way we could have done the signing and made it to LaGuardia airport and our gate by 4, so we pretty much counted ourselves out of that. The next day, however, mom and I found ourselves standing in line at midnight at Virgin, saying to ourselves, “If we get wristbands, we’ll try to push back our flight, if not then we’ll go home.” Alas, we got wristbands and booked it back to the hotel to get online to look for later flights home. We were so lucky because we found one that departed at 8pm the same day and it only cost us $25 each to change our flight!! It was fate.

The CD signing is a blur too. You know how everything with Clay goes, it all happens way too fast. Day-um he looked delicious in that black sweater. GAH. I took my Polaroid along just in case I could sneak an extra autograph on that too. As I got up to the table, Mary took my CD insert and saw the picture. She said “Oh! You were the peasant!” She’s so cute. I walked up to the table, heart pounding, and shook Clay’s hand (oh those hands…). He said “Hi, what’s your name?” “Margaret.” “Margaret, we’ve met before!” “Yeah! I was the peasant at your last show, do you think you could sign this [the Polaroid] too?” “I can’t, I’m sorry, they’d yell at me and I’d get in trouble but thanks for coming out, I appreciate it!” “Okay, you’re welcome, thanks!” And it was over… My mom was after me and she goes up to him and says, “I’m just the peasant’s mother!!” Clay repeats, “Just the peasant’s mother!” Mom says, “You were flirting with her!” Clay then gave her a look (which I SO wish I could have seen!) that was like “Yes I WAS flirting with her!” THUDTHUDTHUD.

What a wonderful weekend. Everything was just amazing. Seeing friends I hadn’t seen in a while, seeing Spamalot twice, being the peasant, talking to so many nice, sweet people that recognized me, being able to go to the CD signing, BUYING A NEW CLAY AIKEN CD!!! Talk about perfection. Thank you so much to everyone that was happy for me and told me things I hadn’t seen that had happened when I went onstage. This recap wouldn’t be as complete without you! Thanks to ClayIzzaQT and toni for being you And, as always, thanks to our guy, Clay Aiken.

Last but not least, here's the picture:

img001-Copy-Copy.jpg

This recap and picture can travel!

Hello, FCA! :F_05BL17blowkiss:

Many thnx to those whose CD comments I shared in my new blog. Just beore I started lessons today I received an email from my former editor (from many yeas ago) wondering why I didn't have Nightline for May 8 in my "Mark Your Calendar." (Guess she's reading the blog, LOL!) I thought that was neat, and I can't wait to see our intelligent Singer Man on that show. Thnx for the calendar, Cindilu2!

I thought The View appearance was beautiful. I love the way Elizabeth gushed over the CD. ChaCha, I "borrowed" a couple of your screen caps: Carolina On My Mind.

Love the CD and can't stop listening. Even paid for a cheeseburger at one window and started driving away without my lunch. I just happened to hear the second window holler, "Hey, where are you going?" I figured she wouldn't understand the "Aiken Fog." :cryingwlaughter:

Y'all have a great evening. I'm staying away from fans who think they know best how to manage Clay's life and career.

Happy Birthday, Clayzorback! :cocktail:

Caro listen.gif

So we're picking favorites from the CD? Like I said, I love all of them, but I'll say Everything I Don't Need and Sacrificial Love are my top 2 right now, with Falling right behind.