#31: The Very Handsome Sir Clay of Aiken

ldyjocelyn

FCA Thread Title Poll  

38 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• The man with the titanium balls - and the voice to back them up!
    • OMG, chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills chills
    • They are seeing what WE see ? a brilliant, intelligent, and genuinely funny and lovely man.
    • Clay Aiken, I love your mad talented, tender-hearted, freakin' Broadway star, soul!
    • I'm totally jonesing for Clay Aiken's voice right now. God! I need to be sedated.
    • I could listen to that Raleigh son rattle on all day long. He makes me smile.
    • The whole damn thing was perfect!

Whoa! It took forever to catch up from Monday night. But what an experience it is reading several days of the board.

I am so glad I decided to go to the last night of Spamalot as well as the previous Thursday evening. Just wow! :clap::laugh2:

Funny story on Sunday night. Playbiller drove in and we were running a little late. I won't bore you with the reason as play would kill me. Anyway she dropped me off at the Schubert while she parked, as she had something to give to Kareneh. I had no idea what she looked like but I was supposed to find her near the French guards photo op. I went up to a woman standing there and asked if she was Karen. She said no that she was Sandy (thats my name too) but she was meeting a Karen there. Turns out she was meeting Kareneh too and also had no idea what she looked like. We chatted until Kareneh appeared.

It was a very nice evening at O'Lunnies or is it O'Loonies Sunday night and I did enjoy meeting so many of you as well as seeing Luckiest, couchie, claygasm and cha cha once again.

I was totally a cd virgin until I downloaded from itunes early Tuesday, but I was so tired at 3AM that I could only listen to a few tidbits. We left at 9:15AM for our ten hour drive home. I did get to listen to the cd twice on the way home. I am so impressed with this cd. I expected something done on the cheap but this is so rich and lush with the most amazing vocals. I got the chills on Sacraficial Love and The Real Me. Grace of God just hit me in the gut. I love them all. I agree with claygasm OMWH is a really good choice for the first single. It's so Clay. I don't think it's a good idea for him to start with a head bopping song first, maybe he could work up to one. One of my favorite Larson cartoons shows a bunny with some bunny excrement nearby and a sign saying free chocolate. The title of the cartoon was "Marketing".

Same outfit as the CBS online interview, purple tie, striped shirt, black jacket....sitting on a piano stool, piano behind him as he's facing the camera.

Very nice little piece. Good to hear him talk about some of these songs. I think the only one I was surprised about was the Kirk Franklin one, but that sounded like a cool piece.

I'd do that executive on the piano stool.

I've had a thought. No don't run away.

All three of the ABC shows that have featured him have started off with some bit of "Invisible" playing or being sung. It's like a reminder, this was Clay Aiken then and this is him all grown up now. It's a small thing, but I just found it interesting..

I'd do that executive on the piano stool.

Oh, you mean the executive with the titanium balls with the voice to back 'em up? :whistling-1: (We MUST break that tie for the new thread title! :whistling-1: )

Clay's lead in on Nightline:

...Clay Aiken. He may have come in second on American Idol, but now he's topping the charts. Who's laughing now?

BWAH! It's almost as if they heard Simon on Extra tonight, saying, "We used to laugh at him every week."

BWAH! :lmaosmiley-1:

Oh I remember Simon saying that before...but I remember him saying that he and Randy used to laugh at how scared clay looked every week during results show.

Its Simon...what else can you expect. It may also keep the buzz on Clay going cos this little exchange has been picked by other outlets.

I really loved that Nightline piece cos it allows us to learn so much about a musician without asking the usual boring questions. Do they do this with all their musician guests???

One of my favorite Larson cartoons shows a bunny with some bunny excrement nearby and a sign saying free chocolate. The title of the cartoon was "Marketing".

:cryingwlaughter: Love it!!

I've had a thought. No don't run away.

All three of the ABC shows that have featured him have started off with some bit of "Invisible" playing or being sung. It's like a reminder, this was Clay Aiken then and this is him all grown up now. It's a small thing, but I just found it interesting..

I was thinking the same thing! Can't just be coincidence!

I just watched The View and while I mourn the sideburns I revel in no visible eyeliner! He was so adorable and he sounded great and you know how the audience all got the CD? Well, there may be a few doubting Thomases Dennis in the audience who will say "Oh joy, a Clay Aiken CD" but they'll figure since it was free they'll at least play it once and then they'll be hooked and tell their friends who will tell their friends and on and on!

I also just listened to that Backstage thing and I loved how the interviewer described the CD - deeper and edgier.

I am so glad I am a fan of Clay's right now! Lucky, lucky us!

i just wrote on the cb how grateful i am to whomever called elton john to let clay sing dltsgdom because that is the song that sealed the deal for me. i loved him from the first but i was a goner after that one. unless it was simon, which is doubtful, because he's such a butt that i can't be grateful to him. i also thought, while i was listening to those clips they played for his playlist, that he sounds so much better than anyone of them. and i am a fan of elton john's, but he just has the most beautiful voice that i have ever heard, and i'm old enough to have heard a lot. not nursing home old yet, but old enough.

claytonic...thanks for the glossary...it will be a good brain exercise for me to memorize the acronyms.

Well, the whole idea is so that ya don't HAVE to memorize anything unless you want to! Except for a few songs, (such as BOTW and a couple of others), I am always having to stop and think and usually give up! So the glossary is to help those who are acronym challenged and new members who are not familiar with the 'colloquial' FCA lingo.

Erm, what does CMSU stand for? (SEE what I mean...? I've asked and I've been told, but I've forgotten! I do recall that it is nothing drastically important but it is maddening to not be able to remember! Tooooo many senior moments...)

I can tell you right now I haven't picked a favorite or favorites yet. I think I'm going to start my own cult and just love all of them

Something else that I love about this album is it's adaptability to mood. Two nights ago I turned the volume down low on my

IPod and just savored the voice. I fell asleep a couple of times. I've also turned the volume up high in my car and just bopped along to it. It has such a nice variety.

Erm, what does CMSU stand for? (SEE what I mean...? I've asked and I've been told, but I've forgotten! I do recall that it is nothing drastically important but it is maddening to not be able to remember! Tooooo many senior moments...)

Crack(s) My Shit Up

Clay was gorgeous on Nightline. The highlight for me was the story about Idol calling Elton John and convincing them to "let the boy sing" DLTSGDOM! That accounts for 2 of my favorite Clay performances on Idol ever, ever, ever --- Wildcard and AI5.

LdyJ, I'm sharing WOTW with you. My other favorites are OMWH - the song, and the whole thing. I love the bonus songs. I'll never think of It's in Every One of Us as "The Muppet Song" because I never heard the Muppets sing it. John Denver sang it, and Freddie Mercury sang it, and they sang it for the Finale at LiveAid. But I never heard the Muppets sing it.

IF, TPTB had come to me and said, "kf, you've heard the CD, which one should be choose for the single? If they had forced me to choose by threatening Guantanamo, I'd probably say Where I Draw the Line. But the one I enjoy listening to the most right now is Forget I Ever Knew You. I think that song is HOT!!! My sister has an Amazon copy of OMWH and when she heard FIEKY she had to go to Walmart and buy another copy. It has the same U2 texture that I get from WOTW, but FIEKY has a New Year's Day flavor.

Then there's my constant earworm and fave phrase of the album:

If it's all I do I'll get free 'cause

You've taken everything,

Everything I don't need.

I FLOVE that!!! I'm crazy about it.

Moving on, I came of age with the Moog Synthesizer. I love a good vocoder section, well placed, and it works beautifully in Falling. I think it's well done.

Okay, I'm going to stop this futile exercise. I'm a double Libra with Gemini rising and there is no satisfactory way for me to pick personal favorites among 14 of my most loved songs ever.

Anybody else getting off to that fresh paint smell of opening the new CDs? I may need to buy a few more just for the fumes.

My opinion about Idol is that they don't want Clay Aiken stealing the show again. The last time he was on he completely overshadowed the rest of the Finale, and the naming of the new idol was an anti-climax. I'll never forget Hicks' interview on ET the next night when Mary Hart gushed, "So, Taylor, did you get to meet Clay?!" But that picture of Bodyguard Aaron on MySpace with the caption, "my homey about to piss off a lot of people" is still in my mind. If Idol was "moving on" then what's the deal with having Bo Bice, Kim Locke and Elliot Yamin on the show this year. Who's next, Justin Guarini to sing Unchained Melody?

CLAYZORBACK!!! :F_05BL17blowkiss: I'm late, so go ahead and celebrate all week. Happy Birthweek!!! Party on!!

KeepingFaith said:

If Idol was "moving on" then what's the deal with having Bo Bice, Kim Locke and Elliot Yamin on the show this year. Who's next, Justin Guarini to sing Unchained Melody?

Ummmm....they're C listers? None of them has made much of a "mark" in the recording industry. There's no way they'll steal the show - so-to-speak! So instead of AI celebrating their successes with new artists they're running scared of the new ones not measuring up to some of them - coughClayAikencough for example. That's my theory anyway!!!!

I KNOW AI has a large viewership - but I don't think it's as large as they say. I still maintain that people are hitting redial repeatedly for 2 hours and the show equates votes with viewers. Bad math - anyway you look at it. I would be happy if Clay never set foot on the AI stage again. I would be happy if they never mentioned American Idol runnerup or also - ran or any of those blithering adjectives when they're speaking of Clay. Simon's shitfest tonite was the final straw! Those people should be freakin' happy they "found" Clay Aiken instead of dissing him every chance they get. I think that's appalling!

Trying to stay awake to watch Nightline. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I KNOW AI has a large viewership - but I don't think it's as large as they say. I still maintain that people are hitting redial repeatedly for 2 hours and the show equates votes with viewers.
One of my old favorite topics. I've forgotten how many times you can dial a number in an hour on average. But 100,000 people dialing 100 times in an hour is 10,000,000 votes for that hour. Hitting redial is faster then pressing the buttons each time yourself. I think you can get more calls in during the hour if you use dialidol and have them dial automatically for you.

Good Morning Everyone,

Yawn! Way too early to be up on a Friday morning, but I have to go to a seminar for work and have to be at the Library at 6:00. There are 7 of us going to t his seminar and we are taking a limosine up to it (about an hour north of us). So I will miss The Today Show, but look forward to downloading it when I get home.

Loved Nightline! And If I remember correctly; the only reason Paul Simon okayed BOTW was because Clay was singing it. So Elton and Paul...thumbs up!

3 Days until Jay Leno!

7 Days until The Climmel/Rachael Ray!

11 Days until Craig Ferguson!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

Whoever said 'timing is everything,' really knew what they were talking about...Hey, bottlecap....remember a couple of weeks ago sitting in a Dean and DeLuca's, about 100 feet away from Kathy Lee Gifford interview some guy we didn't know?

That's where Clay will be today. Right there, with Kathy Lee, and I wonder if someone will be sitting in that same coffee shop wondering what's going on out there and who's being interviewed just like we were.

Nah...everyone will know who's there by the crowds and the buzz. It will be a madhouse. Still I wonder who'll be in my seat today, looking out the window.

KeepingFaith said:

If Idol was "moving on" then what's the deal with having Bo Bice, Kim Locke and Elliot Yamin on the show this year. Who's next, Justin Guarini to sing Unchained Melody?

Ummmm....they're C listers? None of them has made much of a "mark" in the recording industry. There's no way they'll steal the show - so-to-speak! So instead of AI celebrating their successes with new artists they're running scared of the new ones not measuring up to some of them - coughClayAikencough for example. That's my theory anyway!!!

I think they have fans who have not seen them for a while. I know that Bo was not supposed to be on, but asked his fans to write the show and ask for him.

I think that Clay addressed the issue in his rant, they didn't know if the album would be ready on time and they probably asked 19E late in the game. The last few shows are set up pretty early on.

I think they also had Carrie and Daughtry perform on IGB and Elliot and Fantasia went to Africa for them. Clay was not available.

Poor Josh Gracin did not appear, had a new album out and saw his labelmates on the show. I'm sure it would have helped him as well.

Now, it wouldhave been a wise decision to ask for Clay and Ruben on the show fora 5 year anniversary, but it would have caught the news and been a "moment" which this show did not have again. When I said I am done with the show, it was not because of Clauy, but more because it is so damn boring. I don't think Clay has really been following what has gone on, but is a reflection of the media (which we know lies, but whatever) and the public opinion. I don't 100% agree with him on the "innocence", unless he is talking about the people given "interview passes", Like Michael Johns, and Carly, where they did not have to go through all the interviews t perform for the trio. There is question about if they waited in the lines.

I meant to mention that I had seen Diane Sawyer do a few Nightline shows, I wonder if she suggested Clay.

CUTE recap from the CUTE, young peasant from CUTE Clay's Spam finale. :)

img001-Copy-Copy.jpg

This recap and picture can travel!

Thanks so much for bringing this over! I was too tired to read it last night, but I really really enjoyed it this morning. It's so cool to know she was a big fan!

One of my favorite Larson cartoons shows a bunny with some bunny excrement nearby and a sign saying free chocolate. The title of the cartoon was "Marketing".

:cryingwlaughter: Thanks for the laugh!

...and I forgot to mention that you can now watch the clip here...Clay on Nightline ABC News

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee! That was fantastic! I loved the format (never watched the show before). Loved how he looked, on that piano stool. Love that the talked about music he enjoys. Funny about the James Taylor concerts, and people leaving! Love that they showed DLTSGDOM. Love, love, love!

Is it just me that has no idea what shitstorm Simon has caused now? I haven't watched the entertainment shows, and I'm assuming he dissed Clay on one of them. Can't stand the man, so I won't be searching the clip out.

More Clay on TV today! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

KeepingFaith said:

Ummmm....they're C listers? None of them has made much of a "mark" in the recording industry. There's no way they'll steal the show - so-to-speak! So instead of AI celebrating their successes with new artists they're running scared of the new ones not measuring up to some of them - coughClayAikencough for example. That's my theory anyway!!!

I think they have fans who have not seen them for a while. I know that Bo was not supposed to be on, but asked his fans to write the show and ask for him.

I think that Clay addressed the issue in his rant, they didn't know if the album would be ready on time and they probably asked 19E late in the game. The last few shows are set up pretty early on.

I think they also had Carrie and Daughtry perform on IGB and Elliot and Fantasia went to Africa for them. Clay was not available.

Poor Josh Gracin did not appear, had a new album out and saw his labelmates on the show. I'm sure it would have helped him as well.

Now, it wouldhave been a wise decision to ask for Clay and Ruben on the show fora 5 year anniversary, but it would have caught the news and been a "moment" which this show did not have again. When I said I am done with the show, it was not because of Clauy, but more because it is so damn boring. I don't think Clay has really been following what has gone on, but is a reflection of the media (which we know lies, but whatever) and the public opinion. I don't 100% agree with him on the "innocence", unless he is talking about the people given "interview passes", Like Michael Johns, and Carly, where they did not have to go through all the interviews t perform for the trio. There is question about if they waited in the lines.

I meant to mention that I had seen Diane Sawyer do a few Nightline shows, I wonder if she suggested Clay.

tn-500_02.jpg

I thought it was pretty cool they did that piece on Broadway with Clay and Tamyra. Has everyone forgotten about that??

The best part of that for me was when Tamyra said< "You know you're a star when you have your name on the door," and she patted a 12x2 inch name plate sharing a door with several others. AND THEN............. they showed Clay's name on a City Bus with a picture about ummm.... let's see..... 4x8 FEET -- LARGER THAN LIFE, and then showed his "NOW WITH CLAY AIKEN" Marquis which was even bigger.

And he also plugged his album. And this was the the most popoular show in the WORLD. the WORLD.

Now that's star power.

did we get the wrong day for the Today show? They are showing Mary J Blige fans.......??

Right, Clay was on earlier when they made the effort to come to NYC twice to film him. That was something they had time to plan.

I don't think there is any problem with Clay and 19E, just maybe with a jealous Simon who knowsthe show is bleeding viewers. Bwah, drop the age limit to 14 - do you really think watchers will enjoy your bullying children Simon?